Type keyword(s) to search

Clock Tower Theater: Fanfic, Fan Music Videos and Art

Luckylyn
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, statsgirl said:

What I do recommend is No Type by bebrezzy91.  "Three times people thought Felicity Smoak and Oliver Queen didn't make sense and one time he sets the record straight.".  I liked it because I was expecting the same trope every time but the reason behind the scenarios is different.

Loved this!!!! Haha I enjoyed it so much I left a comment and a kudo! I'm normally fairly trigger happy with kudos but it takes effort to leave comments!

59 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I'm normally fairly trigger happy with kudos but it takes effort to leave comments!

I think of leaving comments as a small way to pay back the writer for giving me the pleasure of her/his fic so I try to leave a thoughtful comment if I like the fic.  I get a lot of mixed feelings when it's a situation like quiveringbunny, who I really like as an author but she's locked this fic to non-AO3 members.  I know I can still leave a kudo but it feels like a door shut in my face.  If she didn't want nasty comments, I wish she had left it to be moderated before it gets posted rather than shut off to all non-members.

4 hours ago, bijoux said:

I liked the first chapters, but found the last one with Oliver and Felicity to be meh.

It's a conversation that I can see happening very realistically between them.  But I can see why it might not work in fic.

Do lot of nasty comments get left in other fics (not quiveringbunny but fics in general)? I don't read the comments sections of fics generally. I assume they are all to tell the author how much they like the story etc etc 

I usually leave a kudo if I like 50% or more of the fic as payment for me reading it, a comment if I like the fic a fair bit and a raving comment if I love the fic! But comments seem so universally loved I shall try to leave more if I like the story! I get slack with fics that are ongoing and still being updated.

(edited)

I rarely have seen negative comments except for when someone is misleading the audience in the tags to start with.  Or in real people fics which shouldn't even be posted in the Arrow forums. 

Edited to note I was talking only about Ao3.  Haven't been back to FF to read comment in eons.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3

I have a friend who is an excellent writer but she doesn't post if she feels no one wants to read it, so I've got in the habit of commenting if I want more.

I don't think I've ever seen a really nasty comment left at AO3.  At worse, it's disgruntled.  FF.net is a whole other thing but the fics there can be nasty too, towards Felicity in particular.  Some of the fic are very OOC to fit into the author's headspace.  There can be reddit-like comments too.

I really appreciate authors like MachaSWicket, dettoit and thatmasquegirl who not only write great fic but replay to every single comment left on their fic.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I don't think I've ever seen a really nasty comment left at AO3.  At worse, it's disgruntled.  FF.net is a whole other thing but the fics there can be nasty too, towards Felicity in particular.  Some of the fic are very OOC to fit into the author's headspace.  There can be reddit-like comments too.

This comparison is so true. AO3 is like a soft pillow of support. FF.net is the pit of hell.

4 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I really appreciate authors like MachaSWicket, dettoit and thatmasquegirl who not only write great fic but replay to every single comment left on their fic.

Me too - I'm really bad at it myself. I don't have notifications turned on for AO3 - I usually respond to every comment that gets left on a fic the day that I post it, but anything after that sometimes I forget to go and check, or I mean to reply and time just gets away from me. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Wow. I did not know that about FF.net. I stopped going there once I found AO3, before I really got into Arrow/Olicity. Looks like that was good timing. 

Edited by Chaser
Just now, Mellowyellow said:

Is Ffnet anti Olicity?

I don't read fic on there but I post fic on there, and the comments there can be pretty mean. I had someone comment on one of my fics that I should cut off my fingers to keep me from writing anything else. Which I personally found funny but not everyone would, haha. 

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I don't read fic on there but I post fic on there, and the comments there can be pretty mean. I had someone comment on one of my fics that I should cut off my fingers to keep me from writing anything else. Which I personally found funny but not everyone would, haha. 

Ouch!  That's really mean.  I'm glad you can laugh it off; a good sense of humor and a solid sense of self can be a person's best friends in the face of anonymous Internet hate.  I don't write fic, but I've gotten some doozy anonymous student evaluations, especially on sites like RateMyProfessor.com.

I used to leave really long comments on AO3, but slowly got out of the habit.  I always tried to focus on specific things I appreciated about a story so that it would be more meaningful than something generic.  But, now I feel guilty that I don't even go through that basic motion of a generic comment to let an author know how much I appreciated her/his story.

I got the feeling that a number of the fic at ff.net were "fix-it fic" when you didn't like what the show was doing and so re-wrote the characters to suit your vision.  There are a few at AO3 where Felicity is a demon and succubus, taking Oliver's soul (Stand_With_Ward etc often starts out with Oliver and Felicity in a relationship so he can break up with her, telling her she made him become he never wanted to be) but it's worse at ff.net, and then the comments are like a feeding frenzy of hate.

( @EmeraldArcher, I just watched the PBS special on Ada, Countess of Lovelace and how she created the code for Babbage's machine and I thought of you. Have you seen it?)

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

( @EmeraldArcher, I just watched the PBS special on Ada, Countess of Lovelace and how she created the code for Babbage's machine and I thought of you. Have you seen it?)

Not yet, but it sounds like something I'd enjoy! Thanks for the heads-up. :-) 

I think SuchAPrettyPoison has Felicity frequently invoking Ada Lovelace in her stories.  The first time I read it, I got a good chuckle!  Beats the standard "frack" or "Thank Google" that shows up too frequently in fics.  

Just double-checked before posting--SuchAPrettyPoison is the one who invokes Ada Lovelace, but in "This Is How She's Going to Die," she commits the awfulness that is "Fracking Ada Lovelace!" Eek!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, EmeraldArcher said:

Beats the standard "frack" or "Thank Google" that shows up too frequently in fics.  

Felicity has actually said "frack" on the show, right? I don't mind it. But "thank Google" is another thing that bugs me in fics. Like, who says that?!? 

Oh, and while I can still remember, because I'd just read it, "mewl" not a sexy word, people. It makes me think of cats, LOL! So whenever Felicity starts "mewling" while she and Oliver are having sex in fics, I'm on the floor laughing. Also, "whine." Not sexy either. Whimper, sure, but whine makes me thinks she's about to complain about something. The meanings may technically make sense (distressed cry, etc.) but this is where nuance comes into play, IMO. 

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Felicity has actually said "frack" on the show, right? I don't mind it. But "thank Google" is another thing that bugs me in fics. Like, who says that?!? 

Oh, and while I can still remember, because I'd just read it, "mewl" not a sexy word, people. It makes me think of cats, LOL! So whenever Felicity starts "mewling" while she and Oliver are having sex in fics, I'm on the floor laughing. Also, "whine." Not sexy either. Whimper, sure, but whine makes me thinks she's about to complain about something. The meanings may technically make sense (distressed cry, etc.) but this is where nuance comes into play, IMO. 

She has said "frack" on the show, but some authors seriously overuse it, especially when they use it as an adverb/adjective instead of a simple, short expletive. They're usually the same authors who will overdo the babbling. 

My favorite of the misused words for sexy times is "keen." The Oxford English Dictionary provides these definitions for "keen" when used as a verb:

1. Wail in grief for a dead person.

1.1 Make an eerie wailing sound.

It's so sexy when Felicity starts to make an eerie wailing sound right before having an orgasm! HEE!  To my great surprise, Oliver never stops what he's doing to make sure she's not grieving or to check if she's OK to continue.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, EmeraldArcher said:

My favorite of the misused words for sexy times is "keen."

C'mon, you don't find this hot?!? :P (I'd just finished read a chapter that had this line ...)

"Felicity gripped the pillows beside her head, keening as he kept pistoning in and out and in and out of her ... "

• Love 5
Just now, SmallScreenDiva said:

C'mon, you don't find this hot?!? :P (I'd just finished read a chapter that had this line ...)

"Felicity gripped the pillows beside her head, keening as he kept pistoning in and out and in and out of her ... "

So HOT!  :-). Almost as hot as Oliver being described as a literal love machine! (Gah)

But, not nearly as hot as the author who describes "their bodies slapping and making obscene noises" (or whatever; paraphrasing). Such hot sound effects interspersed with the keening, mewling, and the industrial-sex complex that is Oliver Queen! :p

• Love 3

I don't really mind sex being described as dirty, sweaty business when appropriate, because it is. But this part made me laught out loud.

19 minutes ago, EmeraldArcher said:

So HOT!  :-). Almost as hot as Oliver being described as a literal love machine! (Gah)

But, not nearly as hot as the author who describes "their bodies slapping and making obscene noises" (or whatever; paraphrasing). Such hot sound effects interspersed with the keening, mewling, and the industrial-sex complex that is Oliver Queen! :p

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

It's like Christmas!!!!! My two favourites posting new fics in 24 hours!!!!!

The Disappearance of Felicity Smoak

by somewhereelse

From the description I thought it would be something hokey, but it was a really good exploration of Felicity on her own. I liked the amount of time that passed

Spoiler

and that it ends with the date invite. Anything more would have felt out of place. If the author choses to continue it, I'd be all for it.

Overall I liked it more than some multichapter fics with a similar set up.

• Love 1

I was just reading a fic where this popped up and was reminded of another of my pet peeves fairly specific to Olicity fic - emerald engagement rings. I hate it for so many reasons. 

Emeralds are too soft for everyday wear as a ring. 

There are many other options for green gemstones. 

Oliver didn't even have anything to do with choosing the color of his suit, so we have no proof that he likes green any more than any other color. 

If green is his favorite color then why is he giving Felicity an engagement ring with a stone that is HIS favorite color? That's so lame. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Warning - these are long fan vids (especially the first one), but worth it (imo)...

The Olicity Story (Oliver and Felicity from Arrow) Seasons 1-5
Published on May 27, 2017, by Gil T

Olicity // Evolution of their Story [S1-S5]
Published on Jun 24, 2017, by marzzyomarzzy

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Two Men, Same Name got updated!

Spoiler

I like that Felicity got together with her Nice Oliver! She deserves that! I wonder if Fiesty Felicity will like the other Oliver who is a bit of a doozy. Doozy Oliver and softer Felicity never did it for me. He didn't seem to love her very much at all and I was so happy she moved on from him and went all in the Nice Oliver.

• Love 1
(edited)

Sigh.  There's this fic I keep seeing called Felicity's Battle.  The author posts sporadically so I keep forgetting what it is about and reading the summary and each time I get annoyed.  It's something season three where Felicity was dating Ray already before Oliver left to go get stabbed by Ra's.  In it he still tell her he loves her before he goes and she still thinks he ends up dying so she's upset.  This is all stuff in the summary.  Then it says that Ray knew that Oliver was the Arrow so he's upset that Felicity is all devastated that Oliver died so he STARTS TO HIT HER.  As in regularly beat for apparently two years before the story picks up when Oliver returns.

There is just sooooo much wrong with this.  Not only would Felicity NEVER stay with someone that treated her like that, but nothing in me believes Dig would let this guy still walk around even if she was willing to put up with it.  And of course then the fact that it's Ray that is supposed to be beating her.  No way in hell Ray would ever beat a woman. I'd worry more about him getting abused in a relationship.

It's just that I don't understand how someone can watch Arrow and then write something that far off when it comes to characterization and motivation.  Clearly they are ignoring anything that defines these characters on the show to make their plot happen and while I hate when the show writes plot over characterization, I find it mind boggling when "fans" do it.  WHY would they want to do it?  

I could get hating Ray I guess and wanting to turn him into a monster to justify punishing him, but how can they stomach taking away all of Felicity's power and spark and PERSONALITY, to make it happen?  I just don't get how anyone could enjoy creating such a universe where any of that would actually happen.  And I really hate that I keep forgetting how much I hate the summary and keep rereading the damm thing!!

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, wonderwall said:

The Predator also updated yesterday... That chapter was WOW

I keep looking at the summary and it doesn't make me want to read it with the mob stuff and it starting off with Felicity intending to kill him but you are enjoying it so much.  Am I making a bigger deal out of those two negative points then I should?  What kind of WoW are we talking about?  

Edited by BkWurm1
57 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I keep looking at the summary and it doesn't make me want to read it with the mob stuff and it starting off with Felicity intending to kill him but you are enjoying it so much.  Am I making a bigger deal out of those two negative points then I should?  What kind of WoW are we talking about?  

Those are my reasons for skipping the fic as well, although it's more about the mob and less about Felicity planning to kill Oliver in the beginning fir me. I don't know what that says about me. But the positive coments do make me wonder. Even though I'm unwilling to start a long WIP right now. There's even a fic that sounds interesting, but it's more than 15 chapters and it doesn't seem to be nearing its end, so I'm waiting to start that one as well.

• Love 1

That "Just in Case" artwork is gorgeous!

I loved that kiss! I know a few people and reviewers didn't like it but I loved it! I thought it was tender and beautiful and so "them" but in a steadier, more grown up way.

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I started to read it yesterday.  I'm at chapter five and I still don't know why Oliver hates Felicity's family so much or what is in the codes or why they're trying to get them. As far as I can tell, Felicity wants to kill Oliver because she can't defeat him.  But the writer is very good with descriptions and there's a lot of energy in the story and I haven't found anything that is a deal-breaker like Ray hitting Felicity. It's like pulp fiction or beach reading.

15 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Two Men, Same Name got updated!

Reveal hidden contents

I like that Felicity got together with her Nice Oliver! She deserves that! I wonder if Fiesty Felicity will like the other Oliver who is a bit of a doozy. Doozy Oliver and softer Felicity never did it for me. He didn't seem to love her very much at all and I was so happy she moved on from him and went all in the Nice Oliver.

This made me so happy!  I was rooting for those two crazy kids to get together.  I wonder how long the story will go on. There's the Undertaking to stop but MachaSWicket tends to wrap things up quickly when she's got where she wanted the story to go.   I wouldn't mind more of it, and I want to know how the other Oliver and Felicity are making out.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I used to read it and despite being a mob AU there isn't too much violence imo. Felicity wants to kill him because he wants to kill her (if I remember the initial reason correctly, the author started that fic a year or so ago..).

I stopped reading it because it became too dramatic..you know the kind of over the top that ends up being funny? That's the feeling I started to get reading the last chapters..Oliver is the weirdest character ever..he rarely talks, he is obsessed with Felicity and wants to kill her but also do her, tough decision. LOL

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

I used to read it and despite being a mob AU there isn't too much violence imo. Felicity wants to kill him because he wants to kill her (if I remember the initial reason correctly, the author started that fic a year or so ago..).

I stopped reading it because it became too dramatic..you know the kind of over the top that ends up being funny? That's the feeling I started to get reading the last chapters..Oliver is the weirdest character ever..he rarely talks, he is obsessed with Felicity and wants to kill her but also do her, tough decision. LOL

I haven't read it because just from comments here and on Tumblr I was pretty sure I wouldn't like Oliver and would probably get frustrated with the story. 

The Predator's author seems to be one of the more popular ones in the fandom but I can never quite get into her stuff. I tried to read the one where Oliver is Al Sa-him and that's who Felicity meets and I bailed after a couple of chapters. Just too much babbling from Felicity. Repetitive descriptions of feelings and thoughts. I keep getting tempted to try her again because a lot of people on my Twitter feed absolutely adore her. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Hiveminder said:

I haven't read it because just from comments here and on Tumblr I was pretty sure I wouldn't like Oliver and would probably get frustrated with the story. 

The only thing that guy has in common with Oliver is the name..

51 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

The Predator's author seems to be one of the more popular ones in the fandom but I can never quite get into her stuff. I tried to read the one where Oliver is Al Sa-him and that's who Felicity meets and I bailed after a couple of chapters. Just too much babbling from Felicity. Repetitive descriptions of feelings and thoughts. I keep getting tempted to try her again because a lot of people on my Twitter feed absolutely adore her. 

I think maybe I liked some one shots of her. And there was a (maybe soul mate?) one that I surprisingly liked. I think Oliver and Felicity met when he was engaged to someone else and there was a connection. I wouln't have expected to like it, but there you go. I'm pretty sure that it's never been finished and there are a few chapters at best.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Okay, now I really, really want a fic with Oliver hiding in the bushes.  He's got all those Lian Yu skills after all.

18 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I love this.  It's both sweet and hilarious. I now want it a Olicity fic, only with Oliver the one "hiding" in the bushes.  

You summoned my darlings?

School Days

I've got the dreaded Aussie winter lurgy so I take no real responsibility for this rubbish I churn out! 

• Love 2
(edited)

I just read a fic on Ao3 that's an AU of Felicity returning to the loft at the end of 501. I saw the Felicity/Others tag and that the author hoped it was creepy, and I thought that maybe it was a crossover and Others was some kind of monster or alien character from another show or book or something and it would be like some short horror story or something. No. I feel like such a fool. Her boyfriend is 

Spoiler

Chase instead of Billy, and they have sex, and Felicity loves it.

I didn't figure that out until the very end. I swear it made me nauseous. I'm sure the author meant for it to be unsettling, but I just can't with that character being paired with any character that I like. I can't stomach it. 

Edited by Hiveminder
  • Love 1