Type keyword(s) to search

Clock Tower Theater: Fanfic, Fan Music Videos and Art

Luckylyn
  • Start Topic

I'm not sure but it has me curious now, I do know there is for sure a lack of excitement for season 4. Several people I know are close to flouncing the show altogether but are waiting to see how season 5 starts out. 

Haven't heard anything specific about fic writers though.

Oooh, intrigue. Honestly, I haven't got a clue. It seems strange to take fics down for either reason. I can understand losing the inspiration to write and to stop updating. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I hope this doesn't violate the rules but i saw an authors note on an AO3 story talking about "it's sad seeing people taking stories down in this fandom and knowing exactly why they're doing it"

Is there something going on? A mass exodus of fic writers because of S4 or lack of excitement or 

I only saw one fic that was deleted where she basically blamed Felicity for the break-up as much as Oliver and I think a few of the comments weren't happy about it. So maybe that's why?

I saw that comment to regarding the take down of the Felicity's role in the break-up. I follow another one of that author's stories and it seems like she took those comments hard.

It feels like it has just become a little more negative and snarky these days. I think part of it is the spoilers. I think another part of it is s4 being such a bust towards the end. I also feel like people have become more raw in their comments. It feels like growing pains. I don't know, but I've had to check out of twitter sometimes because it is just too bad.

I hope it doesn't ruin the fan fics. But I have noticed a drop in some updates. And an increase in author notes being more defensive. It's sad because people are sharing their creativity free of charge. If I don't like something, I just stop reading it but not everyone feels the same. Everyone is free to comment, it just seems like people are not being as thoughtful with their comments as they could be.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, bijoux said:

The Darkest Hour has been updated. I just saw the notification, haven't read it yet.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5722732

This was such a phenomenal chapter. I don't know how the author does it but the fic keeps getting better and better. She balances out fluff and plot SO WELL. Oliver/Felicity are adorable and sexy and Tommy gets even more creepy while the insight into Moira's thoughts were intriguing. I love how the author made an incredibly morally grey character. 

It was just... wow. :) Loved it!

55 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

This was such a phenomenal chapter. I don't know how the author does it but the fic keeps getting better and better. She balances out fluff and plot SO WELL. Oliver/Felicity are adorable and sexy and Tommy gets even more creepy while the insight into Moira's thoughts were intriguing. I love how the author made an incredibly morally grey character. 

It was just... wow. :) Loved it!

I won't lie, Deceive, Inveigle and Obfuscate is my very favorite fic in progress, but this is excellent and I fully agree with everything you've said. The situation with Moira and Tommy also saddens me. Tommy's creep factor is off the charts, yet I don't doubt his love for Oliver and am completely convinced that it was Oliver's death that made him turn to the cadre. Having them on a course of collision towards each other is just gut-wrenching. Moira's section was terrific and really highlighted how she is her own worst enemy.

A+ on the details as well. I just loved Felicity's fingers flexing like she was typing at the end of the chapter there.

(edited)

I skipped this fic multiple times because of the description but, finally gave it a chance after all the praise here. I have to agree, it's a really good fic. I'm enjoying the Olicity aspect which is fun/sweet/sexy while appreciating the greater mystery/story of The Cadre. My only complaint is Evil Tommy because I love Tommy.  However, while I don't like it, the author does a good job of giving rhyme and reason to the character.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
On 7/7/2016 at 8:24 PM, Thundercatmary said:

I'm not sure but it has me curious now, I do know there is for sure a lack of excitement for season 4. Several people I know are close to flouncing the show altogether but are waiting to see how season 5 starts out. 

Haven't heard anything specific about fic writers though.

On 7/8/2016 at 0:42 AM, bijoux said:

Oooh, intrigue. Honestly, I haven't got a clue. It seems strange to take fics down for either reason. I can understand losing the inspiration to write and to stop updating. 

I can't speak for other writers, but I definitely feel like S4 was more of a kick to the crotch than S3, inspiration-wise. S3 was infuriating in a "fires-you-up" kind of way, but S4 was just disappointing in the sense that it made me just want to step away and not look at the show for a while. Definitely started from 4x15 onwards, and I'm definitely worried it'll be the same in season 5 :-/

• Love 12

I seem to be drawn currently to kid fics & cancer fics. I know its a weird juxtaposition. I can't easily explain it at the moment. But I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations? Clearly most of them are AU or have definite AU overtones. Completed might be nice, but probably unlikely.

I have read Blue Skies, and hope that writer is doing ok. :( I still think of that fic on a routine basis at work. I do have a few of the kid or cancer fics bookmarked, but people here sometimes know of older or more hidden fic that might be worth a visit.

I just found Under My Skin by Vixx2pointOh.  The description put me off, of Felicity a rich socialite who has run away and Oliver is the bounty hunter paid to find her and bring her back.  And it's true, it's very AU in terms of plot and somewhat in terms of characterization but as a stand-alone fic, I really enjoyed it.

There's also a twist that I won't tell you about that occurred to me in the second chapter and I spent much of the rest of the fic wondering if the author was going to do it justice (as Blue Skies was realistic about cancer treatment) and the answer was 'yes'.

• Love 1

For anyone still reading FiCoN, now that we're closing in on 300k words, anyone think there's the slightest bit of a chance that Slade died in the QC collapse? I'm guessing probably not, but...I need one of these storylines to come to an end. Surely Zoom is going to come back to test the things that Cisco made, right? And they wouldn't just have Slade die just like that, without a final showdown, would they? I'm guessing Isabel is probably done, but we basically just switched her going into ARGUS protection for Slade coming out of it. I don't follow either of the authors on social media - anyone know if they've mentioned where we are in the story? Close to being finished or nah?

Just now, apinknightmare said:

For anyone still reading FiCoN, now that we're closing in on 300k words, anyone think there's the slightest bit of a chance that Slade died in the QC collapse? I'm guessing probably not, but...I need one of these storylines to come to an end. Surely Zoom is going to come back to test the things that Cisco made, right? And they wouldn't just have Slade die just like that, without a final showdown, would they? I'm guessing Isabel is probably done, but we basically just switched her going into ARGUS protection for Slade coming out of it. I don't follow either of the authors on social media - anyone know if they've mentioned where we are in the story? Close to being finished or nah?

Honestly I would actually want the Zoom stuff to end and never really started until this Slade stuff was finished to begin with. I wish they would have just stuck with Slade, wrapped it up nicely, then -plot twist- Zoom comes in, but whatever. I think they've said it's going to end up being ~38 chapters overall, with loose plans for a sequel to go back to later.

9 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I don't follow either of the authors on social media - anyone know if they've mentioned where we are in the story? Close to being finished or nah?

Apparently they said it'll be about 32-35 chapters

I'm letting FiCon build up and pursuing other fics for the time being. I need to read a couple chapters at a time, the weekly wait and power read through d/t length was just hurting my experience. At this point, I feel like it's a blizzard of a story, but like a good blizzard sometimes you have to hunker down with hot cocoa as opposed to going out every some many hours to shovel, it just makes you hate the snow.

Apparently there will be a sequel though, or at least that what it seemed like on twitter the other night.

Regarding FiCoN, I just found this:

Spoiler

Fingers crossed it's 

Spoiler

Lance. I'd also be fine if it's Thea, though it would be sad for Oliver and Moira. Better not be Roy or Dig or Lyla. Or baby Sara. It should be effing Lance.

That's really cute shot, I didn't even see Arrow photoshopped in, I just remembered the shot from the Berlanti article last year.

I can't believe people are upset about the Conan thing. I don't see it as a snub. Flash & Supergirl are more Conan's speed. Even if the CW has a say in what is promoted on Conan, they are going to choose their star ponies and right now those are GG & MB. To me it's not a snub, its just having a limited number of promo slots and $$. Looking at the numbers GG is who I would send and based upon the $$ they probably are shelling out on SG - it would be bad business to not send her.

Arrow & SA have proven they will stick around without promotion, why are people surprised that the CW is not throwing money at it? Arrow promotes itself, free of charge. SA has designed a whole con to promote himself and the show. If I was the CW, I wouldn't be using my limited resources to promote a show that is solid without spending a penny on promotion.

5 minutes ago, kismet said:

I can't believe people are upset about the Conan thing.

Really? As a fan it's difficult to see a show that you love repeatedly ignored in favor of its spin-offs. I don't think it has anything to do with being surprised or not understanding how marketing works. The major upset I saw was from people on Twitter who pretty much talk about the show non-stop, and I think it's as much disappointment that Arrow itself isn't getting much new promo as it is that THEY aren't getting new stuff to look at/watch/read.

• Love 19
15 minutes ago, kismet said:

Arrow & SA have proven they will stick around without promotion, why are people surprised that the CW is not throwing money at it?

I'm not surprised, but that doesn't mean I won't express disappointment and irritation about Arrow always getting left out. I don't care about Flash and Supergirl, and quite frankly, I think they'll get ratings without all the extra promo because they're more widely known characters. Supernatural promotes itself too, is in its Nth season with steady ratings, and got a magazine cover. So yeah, I'm choosing to see this latest decision as a snub.

• Love 14
(edited)
On 7/13/2016 at 7:32 AM, Morrigan2575 said:

I saw people joking in the Speculation thread about wanting to read an Olicity  Far & Away AU Fic.

I came across this one the other day, it's not exactly Far & Away but has similar characteristics.

Run to the Water

Thanks for the rec! I love historical AUs (there's a surprising lack of them in Arrow fic), and the first chapter looks pretty promising.

Edited by lemotomato
(edited)
1 hour ago, apinknightmare said:

Really? As a fan it's difficult to see a show that you love repeatedly ignored in favor of its spin-offs. I don't think it has anything to do with being surprised or not understanding how marketing works. The major upset I saw was from people on Twitter who pretty much talk about the show non-stop, and I think it's as much disappointment that Arrow itself isn't getting much new promo as it is that THEY aren't getting new stuff to look at/watch/read.

1 hour ago, lemotomato said:

I'm not surprised, but that doesn't mean I won't express disappointment and irritation about Arrow always getting left out. I don't care about Flash and Supergirl, and quite frankly, I think they'll get ratings without all the extra promo because they're more widely known characters. Supernatural promotes itself too, is in its Nth season with steady ratings, and got a magazine cover. So yeah, I'm choosing to see this latest decision as a snub.

For me as a fan, I have to accept certain realities when it comes to numbers and marketing. Flash is the #1 show on the network. SG is their #1 acquisition. Otherwise, I would be upset more often than not, since the shows I tend to like are not the golden children of their networks, some are and some are not. Rather than perceive it as a snub I prefer to see it as a business decision. So long as the CW keeps Arrow on the air, I will be happy. I have learned to accept that Arrow promotion is going to be less as it gets older because its business.

Would I prefer that Arrow was the Golden Child of the CW? Of course I would - for all its faults I think it is a superior show to both Flash & SG, but covers & tv slots are not always based on quality or preference. And in this case, what I want to happen and what is the reality of the situation don't always align. I simply choose not to be mad about it. The world is going to pieces, I watch TV for entertainment. I can't be constantly mad that a show who has proven it does not need promotion is logically not getting promotion on a network with as small of a purse as the CW. I prefer to attribute things to money or numbers. I can't see everything as a snub. There were 4 covers and only so many slots on Conan. They chose the bigger names. It's not personal, it's business.

I'm not trying to argue with anybody here. I'm just stating my opinion that I'm surprised these people are mad when Arrow has been gradually moving from the spotlight for a few seasons now. It's a trend not a new behavior. Not everything is a snub, there are just limited slots. I understand their passion & disappointment, I guess I am just more clinical when it comes to media decisions.

Edited by kismet
(edited)

I think you can be fully aware that Arrow doesn't get the spotlight anymore or barely any promo for business reasons because it's going into its 5th season, and still express disappointment over it. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 11
On 13.07.2016. at 4:32 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

I saw people joking in the Speculation thread about wanting to read an Olicity  Far & Away AU Fic.

I came across this one the other day, it's not exactly Far & Away but has similar characteristics.

Run to the Water

Wow. I opened the link reluctantly, as I couldn't really picture Oliver and Felicity in that setting, but that first chapter is really, really good. The preceding story is so well developed and the author's style is great. I'll have to look into their other works.

8 hours ago, Angel12d said:

I think you can be fully aware that Arrow doesn't get the spotlight anymore or barely any promo for business reasons because it's going into its 5th season, and still express disappointment over it. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Absolutely you can...just take a look at SPN's fandom.  

On July 11, 2016 at 2:46 PM, statsgirl said:

I just found Under My Skin by Vixx2pointOh.  The description put me off, of Felicity a rich socialite who has run away and Oliver is the bounty hunter paid to find her and bring her back.  And it's true, it's very AU in terms of plot and somewhat in terms of characterization but as a stand-alone fic, I really enjoyed it.

There's also a twist that I won't tell you about that occurred to me in the second chapter and I spent much of the rest of the fic wondering if the author was going to do it justice (as Blue Skies was realistic about cancer treatment) and the answer was 'yes'.

I started reading Under My Skin last night and got a few chapters in before I started feeling really uneasy. Did the author omit trigger warning tags I should be aware of before continuing? 

Spoiler

Does the story include mentions of sexual assault, incestual victimization, self-harm, or suicide attempts?

Any heads-up would be greatly appreciated.

(edited)
20 minutes ago, EmeraldArcher said:

I started reading Under My Skin last night and got a few chapters in before I started feeling really uneasy. Did the author omit trigger warning tags I should be aware of before continuing? 

Hide contents

Does the story include mentions of sexual assault, incestual victimization, self-harm, or suicide attempts?

Any heads-up would be greatly appreciated.

In a later chapter, it's revealed that 

Spoiler

Felicity was groomed, sexually assaulted and raped by her stepbrother. 

And, no, I don't think the author included specific warnings, just a vague one about "difficult adult theme"

Edited by lemotomato
5 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

In a later chapter, it's revealed that 

Hide contents

Felicity was groomed, sexually assaulted and raped by her stepbrother. 

And, no, I don't think the author included specific warnings, just a vague one about "difficult adult theme"

Oh, wow. It really sucks that she didn't tag with appropriate trigger warnings. I wandered into a story I had no business reading. :-(

Thanks for the heads-up, @lemotomato!

• Love 1

Trigger warnings are hard because they can be spoilers. But I feel like there should be away to imply sexual assault without spoiling the story.

She could have said  - difficult adult theme of a sexual nature. That is broad enough, but also cues people who might be sensitive to those issues to stay away.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, kismet said:

Trigger warnings are hard because they can be spoilers. But I feel like there should be away to imply sexual assault without spoiling the story.

She could have said  - difficult adult theme of a sexual nature. That is broad enough, but also cues people who might be sensitive to those issues to stay away.

I'm sorry, but I disagree. "Difficult adult theme of a sexual nature" could be about a couple dealing with impotence. When it comes to sexual assault, trigger warnings are critical. I strongly feel that survivors' hard-fought emotional well being trumps other readers' desire not to be spoiled.

• Love 16
3 hours ago, EmeraldArcher said:

I'm sorry, but I disagree. "Difficult adult theme of a sexual nature" could be about a couple dealing with impotence. When it comes to sexual assault, trigger warnings are critical. I strongly feel that survivors' hard-fought emotional well being trumps other readers' desire not to be spoiled.

Yeah. It's easy enough to put in an end note with the trigger warning, and link to it: "Go to end note for trigger warning; spoilers". Done.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, EmeraldArcher said:

No I agree with you, I was just trying to find a way that was not spoilery. I feel like they should just put that there is sexual assault in there. But some of these writers are very worrisome when it comes to spoilers. I was just trying to find a middle ground, perhaps I failed. For me, that would be enough of a warning sign to perhaps skip the fic if I had trigger warnings r/t sexual events. But I would prefer that the writer just come out and say it somewhere either in a trigger warning or the author's note on ch. 1. Or at least throw it in the rape descriptor category.

I like what @arjumand suggested.