Type keyword(s) to search

Clock Tower Theater: Fanfic, Fan Music Videos and Art

Luckylyn
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, TimetravellingBW said:

That bit irritated me slightly, but the rest was good enough to overlook it, especially as she wasn't his assistant during the fic itself. (On that note I'd have loved the show to flip things around in Season 3 or 4, and have Oliver-perpetually-unemployed-college-drop-out-and-living-off-Felicity's-money, work as Felicity's assistant).  

I'm still a little bummed they didn't have OQ the assistant on the show. It would have been a great twist. Plus it would have given us more O/F scenes, office banter with OQ in yummy suit and FS getting a little cute payback. It would have been a way to get OQ back into the company perhaps under a associates-training program, so that eventually we work our way to Queen, Inc.

2 hours ago, tv echo said:

This last one is my favorite, because I literally wondered the same thing. The world is ending, people are loots and rioting, but Hot Guy stands on taxi and rivots the attention of hundreds of people with an inspiring but cliche speech. I really wanted some snarky smart ass extra to at one point in the speech, say "Seriously?".

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, kismet said:

This last one is my favorite, because I literally wondered the same thing. The world is ending, people are loots and rioting, but Hot Guy stands on taxi and rivots the attention of hundreds of people with an inspiring but cliche speech. I really wanted some snarky smart ass extra to at one point in the speech, say "Seriously?".

Oh my gosh, that one makes me laugh so hard! That whole scene I was basically hiding my face going, La La La something that totally makes sense is happening right now! Yup, I'm not really hearing these words delivered like this, it's a symbol! A symbolic representation of a powerful figure somehow communicating with an entire city in crisis, inspiring them with wisdom and courage and oh crap nope, it's just a pretty face half heartedly shouting cliches at a handful of extras.

• Love 1
(edited)

I could only kinda buy it because Oliver had been a very popular mayoral candidate so maybe people were more likely to listen to him. But the speech was so cliche that it was hard believe it would inspire hope in every person in SC. 

Edited by TimetravellingBW
  • Love 1
(edited)

Eh, they could do better ;) I watched it and regretted it instantly, I try to avoid giving my views to this stuff. (Freaking Youtube keeps putting these videos in the suggestions :/)

Edited by looptab

Plus, it's plain ridiculous. There's been one episode of Smoak Family drama. One. Three if we want to count 421 and 413. Over 92 episodes in 4 season. But maybe I'm not watching the same show. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, tv echo said:

You could make a whole series of videos on Lance Family Drama - and Arrow is really many seasons of Queen Family Drama.

We could..but honestly I'd rather clean the bathroom than put myself through the Lance family drama scenes again LOL

• Love 9
8 hours ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

We could..but honestly I'd rather clean the bathroom than put myself through the Lance family drama scenes again LOL

I would rather clean it, wait for it to get dirty and clean it again. 

• Love 3
On 6/11/2016 at 0:04 AM, wonderwall said:

With bitterness comes fantastic videos too! lmfao

SMH the ignorance Oliver gets more screen than any one as he should but let's make up lies and act like Felicity gets more screen time than anyone. And Malcolm shouldn't be important he should BE DEAD! 

(edited)
On 6/11/2016 at 4:04 PM, wonderwall said:

With bitterness comes fantastic videos too! lmfao

Seriously? During Season 1 and 2 the only things we knew about Felicity's backstory were scraps dropped about her attending MIT and her father leaving. We didn't meet Donna until Season 3 (and she was in like two episodes). We didn't meet Noah until Season 4 even though the writers had been teasing it for years. (And again he appeared in what four episodes altogether?) Even this season, Donna has appeared in less than half the episodes and her plot has been as much about Lance as Felicity which makes it half "Lance Family and Friends". 

Meanwhile Diggle had Carly and Andy Jr. in Season 1, Lyla (and later baby Sara) in Season 2 and 3, and Andy in Season 4. We've had endless Lance Family Drama with Quentin, Laurel and Sara (and occasionally Dinah) dealing with alcoholic spirals, trading Oliver's penis between them, glass throwing and SWF each other. Felicity gets a handful of episodes finally focusing on her family as late as Season 4 - focus that is largely relevant to the overall plot, with Noah helping save the world from nuclear missiles. Yes, Felicity's family was prominent during the season finale (rather than shunted off into the post mid-season break period like Lance Family Drama normally is) so that makes the focus on them more prominent, but jeez, Felicity has waited long enough to have her issues brought forward.

And it's not like other character's haven't had arcs this season: Diggle has got the meatiest storyline yet with Andy, Thea had the bloodlust story that was only derailed because of Malcolm and his bizarre cure, Oliver has had his mayor and Becoming A Hero In The Light arc, Lance got Donna and Laurel's death. Felicity didn't impact any of that. 

Like it or not, Felicity has been treated as the female lead since Season 2 and that isn't changing. That means she'll take up the secondary storyline and focus after Oliver. It's exactly the model they used when Laurel was the female lead in Season 1, with Oliver's overall A plot and her development as the B plot. (Except now Oliver and Felicity actually share screentime, rather than Felicity's story being totally disconnected from what matters like Laurel's often was). Giving your second-main character and female lead, a background, family and prominent focus is how television works. Unless Oliver is the only one who gets to say/do/save anything, and the other characters become the Greek chorus, Felicity will get focus. (Ugh, I didn't really care much about the credits and billing order before, but I'd actually really like EBR to move up to second billing in Season 5, just the "she's not the female lead! she gets too much attention for a 'minor' character" complaints can finally be rebutted with "yeah she is the female lead and she's treated as such, get over it.") 

/Sorry, rant over/

Edited by TimetravellingBW
  • Love 13
(edited)

They're just a vocal minority. Marc G. Can say that with confidence because they actually have statistics with who watches the show. They poll people all the time before it airs and they get a sense of what is popular right away. That's why Olicity is so popular. Most critics and fans love them. They never had that with Laurel and Oliver. Which was obvious from the lack of chemistry and the bad reviews those two got when they were in scenes together.

Edited by EmilyBettFan
  • Love 1

?? I think @bijoux's post was in reference to the context of the fic and the people of Star City who surely are wondering what's the state of Olicity given their public prominence.  No one's talking about vocal minorities in here.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, looptab said:

?? I think @bijoux's post was in reference to the context of the fic and the people of Star City who surely are wondering what's the state of Olicity given their public prominence.  No one's talking about vocal minorities in here.

I interpreted the vocal minority the same way @TimetravellingBW did. It's all good. :)

• Love 1

Apologies then. =) Since it wasn't quoted I just assumed it was in answer to the post right above it - totally forgot about the Felicity and Friends convo happening upthread =)

• Love 2

Can't remember if I recommended this before or not. It is finally finished, so no longer a WIP.

But it is a well written AU, with no island. It nicely blends O/F as younger selves with a believable present day. It also has a good roster of supporting cast members in different but still fitting roles. Surprisingly, it actually made me like RP.

If you like AUs I recommend "Or Forever Hold Your Peace" by katanaxriot http://archiveofourown.org/works/3809983/chapters/8490349

• Love 1
5 hours ago, kismet said:

If you like AUs I recommend "Or Forever Hold Your Peace" by katanaxriot

I've read the first couple chapters and I had to stop because I thought Felicity is an awful person in the story. I think the author was trying to write her as conflicted but to me she came off as callously indecisive. 

• Love 3

@lemotomato It's been awhile since I read the beginning chapters. So not quite sure specifically how FS is portrayed, but she does get better. Although its a less idealistic take on FS than other fics. However it feels honest to me as her story unfolds. Totally understand that it might not be everybody's cup of tea. I do like the overall story which is more important for me than just one character. 

(edited)
On 6/13/2016 at 4:35 PM, wonderwall said:

I enjoyed this fic! It takes all the Olicity moments and sort of twists the timing of it... Oddly enough it works out really well in terms of pacing

http://archiveofourown.org/works/4949116/chapters/11361340

Thanks! I started this fic this morning and I'm hooked (and have started spreading it to friends). The story moves fast, I love the moments between Oliver & Felicity, the author writes pretty good UST, OTA are in character. I'm still getting the "OMG" reaction from Oliver & Felicity as they realize their attraction but it's not overly elaborate, with every thought put down in paper. And I enjoyed the way she included "iconic" moments. A lot of times in fics, writers are basically repeating the moment, plopping the scene wholesale. I liked her "twists."

Edited to add: I also appreciate that the author didn't make Ray into a dick (as many fics do). I know Ray was problematic on the show but I did enjoy Brandon & Emily's chemistry. 

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Edited to add: I also appreciate that the author didn't make Ray into a dick (as many fics do). I know Ray was problematic on the show but I did enjoy Brandon & Emily's chemistry. 

It's funny you say that because I've come to find some fics have made me love and adore Ray and want him for myself. 

Was Nyssa ever shown to have had an interest in men? Sara is bi, but I thought Nyssa was a lesbian. I just find it funny that they would rather pair up Oliver with Nyssa. It feels like "anybody but Felicity." :P I kinda feel bad for the author; you really have to be careful with the tags. 

I mean, it's not really the author's fault that "past A/B" shows up in the regular ship tag. It shouldn't. AO3 needs to work on the ship tag systems in general; people have been asking for years.

(edited)

Yeah, I always thought Nyssa was a lesbian. 

I think it's good they've tagged it as Anti-Olicity and 'not for Felicity fans' which is definitely better than some fics I've seen but there's no need to put past relationships in tags. Just tag the relationship you're eventually going to write otherwise it just gets messy. Sadly, some of these authors do it intentionally which is why I side-eye things like this.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 1
(edited)

*snerk* so much rancor on both sides! Hilarious.

So, I didn't really mind Bratva fics, and there have been a few that I've really enjoyed. I watched The Equalizer recently, though, and now they make me queasy. There's a new one starting where Oliver is actively leading both QC and the local Bratva activities, albeit reluctantly. The author's one I've enjoyed in the past, and the story sounds fun (Felicity, going undercover for the FBI, applies to be his EA! Inconvenient attraction, love, and shenanigans, one presumes, ensue). And I can't read it! My mind keeps going over the brutality of actual prostitution, extortion, drugs, and intimidation, and I can't reconcile it with the decent, if not noble, Oliver and crew she's writing. 

Link, in case anyone here is interested/doesn't have my hangups/doesn't mind WIPS  (she's pretty reliable):

http://archiveofourown.org/works/7155770/chapters/16246406

Edited by Ang
37 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Was Nyssa ever shown to have had an interest in men? Sara is bi, but I thought Nyssa was a lesbian. I just find it funny that they would rather pair up Oliver with Nyssa. It feels like "anybody but Felicity." :P I kinda feel bad for the author; you really have to be careful with the tags. 

She has shown precisely zero sexual interest in men. Even Guggie said she is canonically lesbian. There seems to be this idea that lesbians are secretly bi, but they are, in fact, not. 

All the author had to do was leave off the O/F tag. Easy peasy.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Ang said:

*snerk* so much rancor on both sides! Hilarious.

So, I didn't really mind Bratva fics, and there have been a few that I've really enjoyed. I watched The Equalizer recently, though, and now they make me queasy. There's a new one starting where Oliver is actively leading both QC and the local Bratva activities, albeit reluctantly. The author's one I've enjoyed in the past, and the story sounds fun (Felicity, going undercover for the FBI, applies to be his EA! Inconvenient attraction, love, and shenanigans, one presumes, ensue). And I can't read it! My mind keeps going over the brutality of actual prostitution, extortion, drugs, and intimidation, and I can't reconcile it with the decent, if not noble, Oliver and crew she's writing. 

Link, in case anyone here is interested/doesn't have my hangups/doesn't mind WIPS  (she's pretty reliable):

http://archiveofourown.org/works/7155770/chapters/16246406

Yeah, sex-trafficking-Oliver is my no-go zone. I don't believe the show would ever go there, because you can't really turn a man into a hero after he okayed what is, in fact, the gang rape of women and children. I'm not trying to be pedantic, but it's not really prostitution, bc the women/kids are not doing it voluntarily (to be clear, kids obviously can't volunteer), they are being raped. It's the reason I read Blood Hands very casually.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, AyChihuahua said:

So, here's what happens when I'm in a mood on a Friday night, have had a few glasses of a lovely Malbec, and see something really dumb (note the comments, some of which may or may not be mine, until they are deleted, anyway): 

http://archiveofourown.org/works/7230538/chapters/16413640

I got stuck on the first line:

"Oliver lied awake in bed, having gotten no sleep the night before."

He 'lied' awake? WTF girl? Or is it a Freudian slip, for all the lying he does in Season 4. Anyway, he can't sleep . . .  because he hasn't slept for two days? Huh? Insert THAT'S NOT HOW THIS WORKS.gif here.

I found another gem!

"Oliver’s voice went from numb to carefully controlled to full of high-pitched sadness."

High-pitched sadness? All of a sudden I'm imagining the chipmunks doing a Darth Vader skit with a very tiny NOOOOOOOOOOO.

It also has one of my (many) pet fanfic peeves, which is place and time pointers. For example: "Oliver's loft, Early morning". This pisses me off so much, and to me is a sign of people attempting to write by watching tv shows rather than reading anything besides fanfic. Because you only find this in fanfic.Sorry, in bad fanfic. Because a good story would start with something like: "It was three a.m., but Oliver lay awake . . . "

Look, I don't care how awesomely talented and naturally gifted you are - you can't write well if all you've read is fanfic. Actual books, which have actually been published, need to be read so that you don't burden your story with bullshit like: "flashback begins [much drivel follows] flashback ends".  Which, IMO, illustrates the problem with never doing any book-reading before deciding to write - it's only a flashback because it's in a visual medium. In print, it's a memory. We remember things. It's when you have to present it visually that it becomes a flashback. Fuck me, this is infuriating.

I am tempted to write a long critique of the writing, and only the writing, with no hint that I find it offensive that a canonically lesbian character is 'converted' by Oliver Queen's penis. I mean, so what that Laurel was killed off? Bring her back to life - that's what fanfic is for! One of the slash stories I wrote was all about a character who dies in the movie Immortals (Tarsem Singh, 2011) - except in my version, he doesn't die, and he gets it on with Poseidon, God of the Sea. Because it's fanfic, and I can do what I fucking want.

However, the great author has put all of the comments in moderation you guys! I bet it's because you were so meaaaaaaaaaan to her! Don't like don't read, people. On a writing forum on ffn, there's an author (very young, I must add) who insists that's the first rule of fanfiction. Oh, honey.

16 hours ago, AyChihuahua said:

Yeah, sex-trafficking-Oliver is my no-go zone. I don't believe the show would ever go there, because you can't really turn a man into a hero after he okayed what is, in fact, the gang rape of women and children. I'm not trying to be pedantic, but it's not really prostitution, bc the women/kids are not doing it voluntarily (to be clear, kids obviously can't volunteer), they are being raped. It's the reason I read Blood Hands very casually.

Me too. I think it's telling that the show, when they had the Bratva, just mentioned their drugs trade - unlike Daredevil, in which we had containers full of women arriving at the docks. At least I hope that they'll never go there. In fact, I wish they wouldn't go there at all - that the tattoo (and the terrible Russian)  is just something Oliver got in a Russian prison when he was stuck there with Anatoly, as camouflage. I mean, it's not like the Constantine tattoo ended up meaning anything at all.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, arjumand said:

I got stuck on the first line:

"Oliver lied awake in bed, having gotten no sleep the night before."

He 'lied' awake? WTF girl? Or is it a Freudian slip, for all the lying he does in Season 4. Anyway, he can't sleep . . .  because he hasn't slept for two days? Huh? Insert THAT'S NOT HOW THIS WORKS.gif here.

I found another gem!

"Oliver’s voice went from numb to carefully controlled to full of high-pitched sadness."

High-pitched sadness? All of a sudden I'm imagining the chipmunks doing a Darth Vader skit with a very tiny NOOOOOOOOOOO.

I am tempted to write a long critique of the writing, and only the writing, with no hint that I find it offensive that a canonically lesbian character is 'converted' by Oliver Queen's penis. I mean, so what that Laurel was killed off? Bring her back to life - that's what fanfic is for! One of the slash stories I wrote was all about a character who dies in the movie Immortals (Tarsem Singh, 2011) - except in my version, he doesn't die, and he gets it on with Poseidon, God of the Sea. Because it's fanfic, and I can do what I fucking want.

I'm in a better mood today, so letting it go, but the whole "Laurel is the love of Oliver's life" thing drives me crazy. I am a very evidence-based person, and ALL the evidence, namely years and years of him treating her like dirt, shows that he didn't give a crap about her. I seem to be nearing the end of my patience with people who refuse to acknowledge reality, mostly in the context of US politics, which is killing me right now. I really don't understand why Laurel fans even WANT him with her. He crapped all over her for years.

I think a lot of straight people believe every lesbian is just one good penis away from being, at least, bi. It's offensive and even dangerous. 

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 4
(edited)

I've been reading Oliver on Vacation. It's AU and kinda OOC to the point where they're not really O/F, they just have the same names, IMO, but I'm enjoying it. Plus it's long. 

On that note, I'm looking for long fics so if anyone has any recs, throw them at me! :D

Edited by Angel12d
3 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

I've been reading Oliver on Vacation. It's AU and kinda OOC to the point where they're not really O/F, they just have the same names, IMO, but I'm enjoying it. Plus it's long. 

On that note, I'm looking for long fics so if anyone has any recs, throw them at me! :D

I highly recommend reading this one first (one of my most favorite fics and is the season 3 we deserved):

http://archiveofourown.org/works/2701013/chapters/6044903

And then you can try:

http://archiveofourown.org/works/6231124/chapters/14276926

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1812304/chapters/3889606

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5453327/chapters/12606023

http://archiveofourown.org/works/2697512/chapters/6037037

• Love 2