Type keyword(s) to search

Music: The Greatest Hits of Mullet Rock

• Start Topic

Thought with some of us re-watching, we might want someplace to talk about the music of the show--sorry to steal the TWoP title, I couldn't think of anything better. If someone else has a better title, please chime in.

I miss the old sound of the show--not just the mullet rock--but they used to do the guitar riffs and such that made it stand out from the crowd.   That "driver picks the music and shotgun shuts his cakehole" made me smile more than ever because my 11-year-old niece and I have had some similar dialogue lately--she says I listen to old people music, my response usually is that, first, I am old; and second, I listen to all music and I'm just broadening her horizons.

• Love 3

That's a great title. Let's keep it :)

I miss the rock music, mostly from bands like AC/DC, the Doors, The Kinks, the Rolling Stones...We used to have 2 or 3 great songs in one episode. Now, we are lucky if we get three songs in a season. Not counting Carry on my wayward son.

• Love 2

I wouldn't have thought it was possible to find a smart way to use Norman Greenbaum's Spirit in the Sky, but I thought it was really effective in Good God, Y'all.

• Love 4

I feel a little dirty admitting this for some reason, but: Spotify. I downloaded a huge playlist someone had compiled on playlists.net and culled out my favorites. Sometimes a gal's just got to rock out. 

Problem is, now I start laughing every time Eye of the Tiger comes up in the queue. 

• Love 1
(edited)

And now Time Has Come Today...how am I supposed to get any work done when all I can think about is Sam, the blubbering mess, and Dean with his single manly tear burning John's body? Sigh. I am cursed by this show, I swear! ;)

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 2

I was rewatching the s9 finale last night because apparently I am in fact, a masochist. The first couple of times I watched the episode I was so distraught over what was happening that I didn't really listen to the words of "Can't Find My Way Home". I mean one can't really hear very well when one is both gross sobbing and freaking out at the same time.

Anyway, I really listened to the words and holy shit, I can't with that song now. I just can't. I will forever associate it with that scene and well fuck you Supernatural for making me both love and loathe that song now. 

Come down off your throne and leave your body alone
Somebody must change
You are the reason I've been waiting so long

Come down on your own and leave your body alone
Somebody must change
You are the reason I've been waiting all these years
Somebody holds the key

But I'm near the end and I just ain't got the time
Oh, and I'm wasted and I can't find my way home

But I can't find my way home

Still I can't find my way home
And I ain't done nothing wrong

I'm gonna go cry again.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

Oh wait, I'm wrong...I think it's the song that plays at the end of Route 666 when Dean puts on his sunglasses and tells Sam to wake him up when it's his time to drive. Something different plays when they are having sexy times...She Brings Me Love? I can't remember right now. I guess it didn't help you anyway, sorry.

Anyway, I really listened to the words and holy shit, I can't with that song now. I just can't.

Heh - this song was already messed up for me through Crossing Jordan* who used a version of this sung by Alison Krauss - who I normally don't much like, but she was great on this song. Now it's even more messed up thanks to this show.

* That show also turned "Hey, Man, Nice Shot" into something even creepier than the song already was... then Supernatural added to that, too, with Shapeshifter Dean.

• Love 1

::whispers:: I may have had to squelch the urge to do a little air leg guitar at a volleyball game last night when the band started playing Eye Of The Tiger. Sometimes it's hard to hide that inner Supernatural fan when hanging with "normal" folk. ;)

• Love 2

*whispers* I sang "Renegade" at karaoke about a year ago.  My husband yelled out, "We are so screwed!" and the crowd may have gone a little wild.  We're everywhere.  ;-)

This makes me ridiculously happy.

• Love 1

I think "Renegade" gets the official credit for turning me on to my slight obsessions with Classic Rock in general (and Styx in particular). I've always been really into harmonies and guitars, and I honestly don't know how I went as long as I did before hearing this song. But the end of "Nightshifter" did it for me. Forever dead.

I was rewatching the s9 finale last night because apparently I am in fact, a masochist. The first couple of times I watched the episode I was so distraught over what was happening that I didn't really listen to the words of "Can't Find My Way Home". I mean one can't really hear very well when one is both gross sobbing and freaking out at the same time.

Anyway, I really listened to the words and holy shit, I can't with that song now. I just can't. I will forever associate it with that scene and well fuck you Supernatural for making me both love and loathe that song now. 

I'm gonna be completely honest: I broke up with the show near the end of Season 7. I just couldn't take the frustration anymore. Slowly got sucked back in by some Season 9 recaps that sparked the tiniest bit of nostalgia in me -- and then for some idiotic reason I decided to tune in for the last 15 minutes of the S9 finale. I knew enough to know essentially what was going on but not to be completely emotionally invested in the outcome. But man oh man even I could recognize the emotional napalm that was "Can't Find My Way Home" playing over the end of that episode. That hurt me, and I'm not supposed to even care anymore. (Who am I kidding? I still care.)

• Love 1

Just wondering if my ears deceived me. I thought there was a new music cue with demon Dean but then I thought it was a cue from the pilot when they are being chased on them bridge. what do you guys think?

Just popped in to say hey to fellow lovers of the music on SN. I'm not generally a fan of rock music but I always dug how it was used on the show. Now that I pole dance I have more of an appreciation for it as well. The show does pretty well with picking the music...not too much repetition of songs that are trendy on the YA soaps at any one time. I use 8tracks a lot to find fun playlists, and was gratified to find a ton of fan-generated Supernatural playlists with some excellent choices that weren't just retreads of the old school rock music that Dean listens to ( although there's plenty of that as well).

This show definitely turned me into a fan of the heavier songs in Classic Rock.  I've always loved the Beatles and the Rolling Stones and the Kinks but leaned towards more Rock and Roll '50s and '60s stuff.  And for years I thought I didn't like Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, et al.  Turns out I just never listened to them enough to appreciate them.  After a few years of binging on SPN my go-to Pandora station is now AC/DC and my "Dean" playlist on my iPod is practically the only thing I listen to in the car (Billy Squire's 'Lonely is the Night' is the most played song of all my thousands and thousands of iTunes songs).

It KILLS me to watch the first season on Netflix because of the music being replaced.  I know it was some sort of rights issue but why just the first season?  It's so jarring to watch 'Hell House' where Blue Öyster Cult is a major plot point and not hear any Blue Öyster Cult songs.  

This show definitely turned me into a fan of the heavier songs in Classic Rock.  I've always loved the Beatles and the Rolling Stones and the Kinks but leaned towards more Rock and Roll '50s and '60s stuff.  And for years I thought I didn't like Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, et al.  Turns out I just never listened to them enough to appreciate them.  After a few years of binging on SPN my go-to Pandora station is now AC/DC and my "Dean" playlist on my iPod is practically the only thing I listen to in the car (Billy Squire's 'Lonely is the Night' is the most played song of all my thousands and thousands of iTunes songs).

It KILLS me to watch the first season on Netflix because of the music being replaced.  I know it was some sort of rights issue but why just the first season?  It's so jarring to watch 'Hell House' where Blue Öyster Cult is a major plot point and not hear any Blue Öyster Cult songs.  

IA, this show made me like classic rock so much better than I had before. I doubt I'd even heard a Kansas song before watching SPN. One time when I was living in LA, I felt like I was going stir crazy, so I ended up driving up into the Central Valley for no reason and just wondering around in the countryside and driving through a Redwood forest all day. Going through the mountains or into the valley or something must have blocked all the LA radio signals, because all I could get was this classic rock station whose playlist was apparently half Led Zepplin. At first I was irritated because all my stations were gone, but then I thought of this show and just relaxed and enjoyed the topography-forced cosplay. Tbh, the music really matched the landscape and it was actually really fun.

ETA:

Yes, the terrible music on the Netflix episodes is driving me nuts. In the S8 and S9 episodes, is the music the same as when the episodes actually aired? That ridiculous, corny instrumental music as the soundtrack is doing the show no favors.

Edited by rue721

As far as I know, its only the music in the first season that was replaced on Netflix. I haven't watched S8 or S9 on Netflix, so I might be wrong here. You're talking about the original soundtrack, though--music composed for the show by either Lennertz or Gruska--not the classic rock, right? Did you still hear The Styxx's Man In The Wilderness while watching We Need To Talk About Kevin or The Animal's We Need To Get Outta This Place on A Little Slice Of Heaven or Hells Bells in Slumber Party? In that case I'd say its the original music then. On S1, some of the classic rock songs are replaced, due to a licensing issue.

I assume you are more referring to the loss of the guitar riffs and such, which saddens me quite a bit too. They used to have a rather unique sounding soundtrack that set it apart from the crowd.

• Love 1

As far as I know, its only the music in the first season that was replaced on Netflix. I haven't watched S8 or S9 on Netflix, so I might be wrong here. You're talking about the original soundtrack, though--music composed for the show by either Lennertz or Gruska--not the classic rock, right? Did you still hear The Styxx's Man In The Wilderness while watching We Need To Talk About Kevin or The Animal's We Need To Get Outta This Place on A Little Slice Of Heaven or Hells Bells in Slumber Party? In that case I'd say its the original music then. On S1, some of the classic rock songs are replaced, due to a licensing issue.

I assume you are more referring to the loss of the guitar riffs and such, which saddens me quite a bit too. They used to have a rather unique sounding soundtrack that set it apart from the crowd.

Yes, for S8 and S9, I mean the music that was composed for the show. Or at least I figure it was, because it's this really intrusive (imo) faux orchestral music and I have no idea where else they would have gotten it if they hadn't hired someone to compose it for them. It's just *so* jarring, though, that I'm like, has this always been there?! I'll have to look back and see if the Animals, etc, is getting played, too. Usually I don't notice even notice the soundtrack to shows, I'm not a big music person in general, but it's irritating the hell out of me watching those seasons now. ETA:  what is that, a cost-saving measure? All the other CW shows still have reasonable music, though I admit that as a group, the shows have obviously cut back since maybe five years ago when Gossip Girl would actually have really good pop music and it wouldn't be six months behind the times, either.

Oh, thinking about it now, something else that would crack me up is that 98.7 in LA, which I guess is supposed to be rock/alternative, would play Wayward Son in particular just from time to time. Otherwise it was all the Lumineers and the Black Keys and other people who could plausibly show up at Coachella, but every couple weeks they'd give Wayward Son a spin.

Edited by rue721

I don't think the change in the original score is a cost saving measure--they still have the same two composers and all--just another one of those things that makes S8 and S9 feel out of tone to me. The lack of the classic rock is due to budget, but they seem to be finding more funds and better choices for it this year.

To be fair, though, some of the orchestral music has always been there, it just didn't ever overtake the scenes before, IMO. That's the big difference to me in the way they use music in general since Carver took over--it's not subtle anymore (but then again, very little has been subtle since Carver took over). The music used to feel like it had always been in those scenes, like it lived and breathed there, now it feels intrusive to me. I really didn't notice the disparaging difference until I started my re-watch this summer. So, I think the change in the original score happened gradually, but I didn't take notice till I had something to compare it too. I can't recall the last time I heard one of the guitar riffs though.

• Love 2

As I don't have cable, I'm wondering, when they play season one on TNT, do they replace the music or is it the original music?  I first watched season one on Netflix and didn't know why everyone was going on and on about Faith, and the music, until I bought season one on DVDs.  I agree it makes a difference with the original music.  And as I binge watched the first 9 seasons, I got a bit sad that the later seasons have less classic rock song.

Also, I recently heard Soundgarden's "Fell on Black Days" and I KNOW this song was in an episode, but for the life of me, I can't remember which episode.  Does anyone know?

It seems like I remember it playing in the background of a Roadhouse scene. So, S2...maybe the end of Simon Said. Yeah, I think it's the end of Simon Said where Ellen summons them to the Roadhouse and they tell Ellen and Jo about the special kids.

I thought it was during the coin montage in Southern Comfort.  Or was that a different Soundgarden song?

ETA  I knew it!  How did we never find this interview before?  From the SPN super-wiki:

We know nothing of Sam's music tastes, although Kripke gave some clues at another post Comic Con interview in August 2007.

Interviewer: Okay, and since we’re talking music, what in blazes is Sam’s problem with Dean’s music? And given the chance, what music would Sam play?

Kripke: (laughs out loud) We have interesting debates about that all the time; about what Sam’s music would be, and you know, I hope that Sam listens to whatever cool modern music is. I don’t know any of them because I don’t listen to anything after 1980, so, you know… Green Day, I guess? I don’t know! Who is cool these days? Is Green Day cool? What band is cool these days?

Interviewer:Maybe Red Hot Chili Peppers…

Kripke: Yeah, so he listens to the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Fall Out Boy and maybe The Killers? I am so a stranger in a strange land when it comes to those bands that that’s why you never hear Sam’s soundtrack, cos I don’t know that music and I’d choose the wrong songs. All my friends call me “Old Man Kripke” because I don’t listen to any bands after 1980; that’s why Dean’s music always wins out, because I hate so much modern music that I can’t bear to listen to it in the editing room. (laughs)

In an interview in 2008, Jared said Dean's rock had probably grown on Sam but that he was probably a more "bluesy, emo Jackson or Death Cab For Cutie kind of guy."

Edited by Demented Daisy

Both episodes had Soundgarden's "Fell on Black Days"

And while I'm here, let me state my personal head canon regarding the latest use of Bob Seger songs. Sometime a few months back, Adam Glass was asking for song suggestions that we hadn't used yet. My twitter reply was Bob Seger (anything) -- and since we've had TWO Bob Seger songs since then, I can only presume personal responsibility for it.  Right?!?!

And I loved loved the use of The Weight in Hibbing 911.

Edited by SueB

According to Tune Find, we're both correct. Of course I would remember only the one from S2 and barely recall the one from S8. At least I'm consistent about something, right?

ETA: Bah, you both beat me to it.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

If you included the recap songs, then they've reused quite a few songs. Of course the obvious is Carry On My Wayward Son, but also:

• AC/DC's "Back In Black" was the song that plays after the driver-picks-the-music-and-shotgun-shuts-his-cakehole moment in The Pilot and for Baby's triumphant return in Bloodlust.
  • Warrant's "Cherry Pie" was the song for Dean's dream before Anna shows up in The Song Remains The Same and in the strip club scene in Reichenbach
  • "You Shook Me All Night Long" by AC/DC was the recap song in Lazarus Rising and the song that played during the sex/killing montage in The Slice Girls.
  • "Can't Find My Way Home" by Blind Faith was played during the final scene where Dean tells Sam to wake him up when it's his turn to drive in Route 666 and also in the scene where Dean opens his black eyes in Do You Believe in Miracles?
  • Bob Dylan's "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" was in the car chase scene in Houses Of The Holy and at the beginning of Dark Side Of The Moon with Dean, wee Sam and the firecrackers.
  • AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" has been used for at least two recaps, but I can't think of the exact episodes right now.

Sorry, there's probably a lot more, but those are ones that jump out at me right now.

ETA: I can't believe I forgot Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Bad Moon Rising" in both Devil's Trap and Out With The Old. Be aware folks, nothing good ever happens when this song plays on Supernatural.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 2

First I want to say that I love all the "Greatest Hits of Mullet Rock".  Watching this show (especially the early seasons) is making me want to search out all this older music, most of which I'd sort of forgotten about.  But not really, I find I can remember the words to most of these songs, i just don't listen to it anymore.

That said, I do wonder about the *why* of it.  I know that it was Eric Kripke's choice, but It doesn't make sense to me for it to be "his" music. In my experience, musical tastes are defined in ones teens and early twenties, but really, most of this music is a decade or two too early for him and I wouldn't think that he lived somewhere where it was still "the thing" by his time.  Even in my backwater home town, this wasn't the new music on the radio and I'm a fair bit older than Kripke.

Eh, I'm probably just over thinking this and should just appreciate what the show has reminded me of.

I have a very eclectic taste in music (well, actually in most things) and a Bad Company song was playing on my iPod in the office the other day. My friend and coworker, who is about 15-20 years older than me, turned to me and was like "Were you even born when this song came out? How do you even know about this music?" I laughed and pointed out that most of the music on my iPod was made before I was aware of music. I had older siblings, so some of the classic rock I'm drawn too, my older brother listened to (I don't know where my love of old blues, jazz and folk music comes from though.) Maybe Kripke had a "cool" uncle or something that exposed him to this older music?

• Love 1

Deans music was really Johns music. It was ingrained in Dean and I think know he legit likes it. I don't think one is bound by the contemporary music of one's youth. To me Dean listening to classic rock was just another way of showing Dean being different than other kids his age and his loyalty /brainwashedness to John.

Maybe Kripke had a "cool" uncle or something that exposed him to this older music?

Could be, as I'd have thought this music would most likely have been relegated to the "oldies" station by the time Kripke was old enough to pay attention :D 

Deans music was really Johns music. It was ingrained in Dean and I think know he legit likes it. I don't think one is bound by the contemporary music of one's youth. To me Dean listening to classic rock was just another way of showing Dean being different than other kids his age and his loyalty /brainwashedness to John.

Oh, yeah within the show it absolutely makes sense.  It's just *outside* the show that baffles me.  And I have no idea why this bugs me so much.  I guess it's just that based on this and a few other comments, I'd pegged Kripke to a certain age and when I found out he was 15-20 years younger, it set up a mental dissonance that I can't get over.  My issue and again, thinking too much about the wrong things. Typical.

• Love 1

Kripke once said that his friends call him "old man Kripke" because he rarely would listen to anything current. I'm a year older than Kripke and I remember listening to some of this music quite a bit when I was in high school and college, but I lived in a very rural area so there were only two options if one wanted to listen to the radio--a classic rock station and a country one and both were broadcast from about 50 miles away--I generally chose the classic rock one. I remember having friends that used to host the classic rock show on the campus radio station. Maybe I just hung with a retro crowd back then?

• Love 1

I listened to a lot of this music in college -- mostly around age 17 or 18? And I'm in my late twenties now, there was no real reason for that to be the case, I just went through a period of liking it and my friends used to listen to it a lot, too. (Frankly, isn't it kind of stoner music?) In any case, I think younger teens (age 12, 13, 14) tend to listen to pop, but then people branch off into whatever genre they're into and start exploring more esoteric stuff.

I do think it's weird how Kripke has said things more-or-less like, "everything after 1980 is terrible!" First of all, because it's not. He's missing whole genres! And second of all because why is he even pretending that he didn't listen to whatever was popular back when he was in middle school or high school, like everyone else?

Edited by rue721
  • Love 1

Kripke once said that his friends call him "old man Kripke" because he rarely would listen to anything current. I'm a year older than Kripke and I remember listening to some of this music quite a bit when I was in high school and college, but I lived in a very rural area so there were only two options if one wanted to listen to the radio--a classic rock station and a country one and both were broadcast from about 50 miles away--I generally chose the classic rock one. I remember having friends that used to host the classic rock show on the campus radio station. Maybe I just hung with a retro crowd back then?

So, you're just a baby then ;D   And I can see given those choices how you'd pick the classic rock (guess who's not a country music fan, tough thing to be living where I do).   So maybe it was similar for him.  Guess I just figured that there'd be more than 2 options everywhere.  But then I'm a "city" girl.

And retro is cool, mind for me, retro is not the '70's :D

• Love 1

And I'm a year younger!  My father was also of the "driver picks the music" opinion, and he always drove, so he always chose the music.  In some ways, my father is John Winchester, early years.  He's all about the classic rock and fixing his own car and guns and hunting and whatnot.  He never flew, so if we had to go visit family, we drove.  He left the Army a couple of years before John left the Marines, though.  ;-)

So, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Kripke listened to a lot of classic rock as a kid, but never grew past it.

• Love 1

Some people are just like that. I had a friend that graduated from college in 1972 and never listened to any music composed after the seventies since he had hit 30 then. Different strokes for different folks. I listen to music from all decades from the fifties on as well as classical music.

• Love 2

My musical tastes are very eclectic as well, though not as eclectic as my hubby's whose Ipod contains everything from Abba to Zydeco with heavy doses of Mozart and Disturbed thrown in. (He also to my dismay loves country - a genre I'm very particular about concerning the artists I enjoy). However, because my mom loved music and played it for us all the time on our HiFi growing up, I have a much larger knowledge of and appreciation for older rock and pop music from about a decade or so before Dean's classic rock. I know and like stuff from the late 50's and the 60s just as much as I do the stuff from the 70s and 80s when I grew up and went to high school and college. I also have a strange fondness for weird music - our local radio station where I grew up carried the Dr. Demento radio show, and I would listen on Sunday nights. I never lost that interest for that kind of music and still love Weird Al, and I even picked up a love for heywood banks even after I'd left college.

So maybe like myself, Dean just absorbed John's music but unlike me was never really interested in listening to newer stuff. I myself do, and still find things that I really enjoy with current music - though again it tends towards the off the beaten path sometimes. But I will admit that there is one genre of music and time period that I never warmed up to and that was post-grunge. I completely lamented the loss of Hair Band music to grunge, and for me a lot of the popular stuff from about 1992 through somewhere near 2000 * was mostly Awwwful. There's really only one Nirvana and the wanna-bes just didn't do it for me. So if that time period was during any of the time when the guys were growing up - and I'm pretty sure it was - I wouldn't blame them for not adopting that time period of music. Sorry - not sorry.

* When Bon Jovi made their comeback - yay!

• Love 1