Type keyword(s) to search

Music: The Greatest Hits of Mullet Rock

• Start Topic

When I was on my way to work on Saturday morning, this song came on the radio and the only thing that kept me from crying was the need to not ruin my makeup right before seeing my boss!

Anyway, it's not a style of music that SPN would ever play, but I think the lyrics would be perfect from Sam to Dean right now, considering what's been going on with this whole Mark of Cain/"Dean's not himself" plotline.

See You Again

[Chorus: Charlie Puth]
It's been a long day without you, my friend
And I'll tell you all about it when I see you again
We've come a long way from where we began
Oh, I'll tell you all about it when I see you again
When I see you again

[Verse 1: Wiz Khalifa]
Damn, who knew
All the planes we flew
Good things we been through
That I'd be standing right here talking to you
'Bout another path
I know we loved to hit the road and laugh
But something told me that it wouldn't last
Had to switch up
Look at things different, see the bigger picture
Those were the days
Hard work forever pays
Now I see you in a better place, uh

[Hook: Wiz Khalifa]

How could we not talk about family, when family's all that we got?
Everything I went through, you were standing there by my side
And now you gon' be with me for the last ride

[Verse 2: Wiz Khalifa]
First, you both go out your way
And the vibe is feeling strong
And what's small turned to a friendship
A friendship turned to a bond
And that bond will never be broken
The love will never get lost
And when brotherhood come first
Then the line will never be crossed
Established it on our own
When that line had to be drawn
And that line is what we reached
So remember me when I'm gone

[Hook: Wiz Khalifa]

[bridge: Charlie Puth]
So let the light guide your way, yeah
Hold every memory as you go
And every road you take
Will always lead you home, home

Edited by rue721
(edited)

Our current conversation in the spec thread reminded me of this song that was playing while I was driving to an event yesterday for work. If I were Dean, this is what I'd tell Sam...

John Prine, you are a silly man sometimes!

Edited by DittyDotDot

After seeing the scene today, I definitely should have included this on my favorite music scene list (and I have in the past):

The "Go Ask Alice" scene from hunted. Excellent use of music there, in my opinion.

Mostly I listen to folk and folk rock. Somehow I don't see their using Phil Ochs's I Ain't Marching Anymore.

Yeah the Go Ask Alice sequence was really well-done and creepy as all hell.

• Love 1

I don't mean to go all Simpson's Comic Book Guy, or come across as some kind of Nazi song title stormtrooper, but the song is titled White Rabbit, not Go Ask Alice.

• Love 1

Can we just pretend that I meant the "Go Ask Alice" as a quote of the lyrics then? No?

Oh well, I'm generally better at 70's (non-disco) music anyway. I'm only passable at 60s music. Mea culpa.

(I also point to being temporarily traumatized by the movie "Go Ask Alice" as a kid * {and the book - which we had to read in school} when I was young, so that's the part that tends to stick.

* Not as traumatizing as "Born Innocent" which was around the same time in the 70s, but...)

This song has been stuck in my head since I heard it yesterday and never fails to make me think of Supernatural. And since I can't get it out of my head, I figured there should be others out there cursed too! ;)

• Love 1

It may be because the music of Queen is associated with Highlander.  At least, I associate Queen's music with Highlander.  I think Princes Of The Universe could have worked in Supernatural as well.  

Queen would definitely fit in this show's early seasons. And now I have to confess my weird hope they'd find a way to work this song into the show...

• Love 1

This song had me oddly thinking about Supernatural yesterday.  Even though the lyrics more represent Dean this season, I kept thinking about Charlie for some reason. Which is weird considering I'm not really a much of a Charlie enthusiast. I love the Patty Griffin song they used in the scene where they build Charlie's pyre, but, for some reason, it felt out of place to me. When I heard this song yesterday, I kept seeing that scene in my head.

Here's a song I would LOVE to hear on SPN:

Well you washed them all away
Let them drift on your tide
At the end of that day
Carry me over to the other side
Carry me over to the other side

Through the valley I had walked
For a thousand thousand days
If the Lord and I hadn’t talked
Could have never found my way
Could have never found my way

Well, NOW…
GET BACK TEMPTATION
I won’t follow you no more
GET BACK TEMPTATION
I have my eye on Heaven’s Door
GET BACK TEMPTATION
Soon Salvation will be mine
GET BACK TEMPTATION
I have seen the seven signs

I have seen the face of a hooker
I have heard the voice of pain
I have felt the touch of the devil
I’ve had jealousy in my veins
I’ve had jealousy in my veins

Well, NOW…
GET BACK TEMPTATION
I won’t follow you no more
GET BACK TEMPTATION
I have my eye on Heaven’s Door
GET BACK TEMPTATION
Soon Salvation will be mine
GET BACK TEMPTATION

I don't think U2 has been featured in the show. Just for fun, my head!canon soundtrack with U2 on SPN would be

"With or Without You" because they can't let the other one go no matter what it seems.

"Elevation" for just because it's such a great song.

"Peace On Earth" for when Cas needs some help from Dean

When Dean FINALLY really believes he is a GOOD MAN, "Beautiful Day"  ....or even " I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" because well, it's Dean.

"Where the Streets Have No Name" if both boys die at the end or even if they don't....

If one of them actually dies and the other one lives "Walk On"

Screw it, just the entirety of "Joshua Tree" need to make it into the show at some point.

Fuck I just made myself cry.

ETA: YES I know 'Walk on", "Elevation","Beautiful Day"  and "Peace on Earth" are not from Joshua Tree.  My point still stands  re Joshua Tree.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

I just saw the season 1 finale on TBS and I think they changed the end song.  Wasn't CCR's "Bad Moon Rising" playing when the screen goes dark at the end when it originally aired?  There was some other song about the moon but I could have sworn I remember CCR.  Don't they buy song licenses for repeats?

Yeah, there's some licensing issues for the music in S1--it's all been changed on Neflix too. All the other seasons seem to be fine. Probably didn't make their deals properly in S1 or maybe they never thought the show would ever go into syndication so they never bought the rights for it in S1? Who knows.

But, you are correct, sir, it is supposed to be CCR's "Bad Moon Rising."

Well, not a 'sir' but thanks for validating my memory!  It was so eerie to have Bad Moon Rising start playing at the end of that episode when I first saw it and it was a shock when some other, forgettable song about the moon came on.

• Love 1
(edited)

I didn't watch most of this season so I just found out through a random Youtube trawl that they played or Dean and Sam were singing along to one of my very very favorite songs ("Someday Soon" by Judy Collins). Sigh. I will have to try to track that down. I always wanted to see that on SPN, along with "Celebrate Me Home" and "Running On Empty." 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I didn't watch most of this season so I just found out through a random Youtube trawl that they played or Dean and Sam were singing along to one of my very very favorite songs ("Someday Soon" by Judy Collins). Sigh. I will have to try to track that down. I always wanted to see that on SPN, along with "Celebrate Me Home" and "Running On Empty." 

It was in the episode Baby, @Pete Martell. It's the episode from the point of view of the car. Apparently it was a song John used to play a lot because it was a favorite song of Mary's and it plays during a dream of Sam's. I really like that song too and was pleasantly surprised it cropped up in Supernatural. In fact, musically, I would say this season has had quite a of music I wouldn't have expected to hear on this show, but actually fits and works really well. 

You might have just inspired me to actually buy the S11 DVDs. I didn't buy S10 because I found I never watched the S9 ones I did buy and couldn't think of any episodes I would want to rewatch occasionally. But S11 has a couple episodes I really did like a lot and I'm hoping they did a feature on how they made Baby.

• Love 2

Wouldn't Dream On by Aerosmith be a great song for Mary?

I think the lyrics are really fitting, too:

Every time when I look in the mirror
All these lines on my face getting clearer
The past is gone
It went by, like dusk to dawn
Isn't that the way
Everybody's got the dues in life to pay

I know nobody knows
Where it comes and where it goes
I know it's everybody sin
You got to lose to know how to win

Half my life
Is books, written pages
Live and learn from fools and
From sages
You know it's true, oh
All these feelings come back to you

Sing with me, sing for the years
Sing for the laughter, sing for the tears
Sing with me, just for today
Maybe tomorrow, the good Lord will take you away

Yeah, sing with me, sing for the year
Sing for the laughter, sing for the tear
Sing with me, just for today
Maybe tomorrow, the good Lord will take you away

• Love 1

Exploring the forum over the last couple days I've seen reference to 'Dean's Family Theme', most recently by @catrox14

I thought I knew most all of the minutia of the show, but this escaped me. Can someone point me to an episode/scene where I can hear it? And was this a fan discovery, or an official thing?

(edited)
44 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Exploring the forum over the last couple days I've seen reference to 'Dean's Family Theme', most recently by @catrox14

I thought I knew most all of the minutia of the show, but this escaped me. Can someone point me to an episode/scene where I can hear it? And was this a fan discovery, or an official thing?

It's part of the original score written by Jay Gruska. I think the first episode we hear it in is Devil's Trap but was heavily featured throughout In My Time of Dying. It played a lot in the early seasons whenever Dean was in emotional distress, but they don't seem to bust it out as much anymore.

It's full name is Dean's Family Dedication Theme:

Here's a rundown of the episodes through S4 it was featured in (source: http://www.supernaturalwiki.com/index.php?title=Music_(Original_Score)#Gruska_Motifs):

• 1.22 - A small piece first heard as the Impala drives on an nightroad to the cabin
  • 1.22 - The full theme heard through Dean's "Things I'm willing to do" speech inside the cabin
  • 2.01 - Episode Theme (small strains are heard throughout the episode): The pure form heard as John sits by Dean's bedside while Dean yells at him to do something; A distorted form heard as Tessa is revealed as a reaper and tries to convince Dean to let go; A piano and flute version heard through John's "You did that" speech to Dean; A higher octave flute w/ backed orch. version heard as Sam finds John dead
  • 2.09 - An acoustic version heard throughout Dean's "I'm tired" speech
  • 2.11 - Same acoustic version heard as Dean watches Drunk!Sam go to sleep after he made Dean swear to kill him if he goes dangerous
  • 2.20 - Flattened form heard when Dean realizes Sam and him don't get along in Wishverse
  • 2.21 - A brass form of the full theme heard as Sam dies in Dean's arms
  • 3.08 - A disguised derivative of the theme heard as Young!Sam gives his present to Young!Dean
  • 3.16 - The original theme heard in during Dean's "Things I'm Willing To Do" Speech resurfaces as he tells Sam they cannot make the same mistakes again
  • 4.13 - A underdeveloped variation of the theme heard as teenage Dean announces he's a hero
  • 4.15 - The full theme heard as makes his Dean confession to Tessa
  • 4.15 - An eerily sharpened derivative heard as Dean criticizes Alastair for his choice of murder tools
  • 4.21 - The full theme heard as Sam defiantly walks out the door against Dean's protests

Supernatural has two composers who score alternate episodes. Jay Gruska was Singer's guy and tends to do a lot more of the quieter, melodic music like Dean's Family Theme, but also composed the closing titles music. Christopher Lennertz was Kripke's guy--apparently they went to college together and Kripke had him score all his short films and such) who did a lot more of the guitar riffs and a lot of the more "dirty" sounding music, like Dean's Dirty Organ:

That's probably more than you wanted to know, sorry!

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 6

Today at PHXcon, Jensen said he'd love for the show to use Rob Zombie's Dragula.

Oh My Gods. I am so sad now they never used it for Demon/MoC!Dean. It would have been PERFECT.

Rob Zombie Lyrics

"Dragula"

Dead I am the one, Exterminating son
Slipping through the trees, strangling the breeze
Dead I am the sky, watching angels cry
While they slowly turn, conquering the worm

Dig through the ditches,
And burn through the witches
I slam in the back of my
Dragula

Dig through the ditches,
Burn through the witches
I slam in the back of my
Dragula

Dead I am the pool, spreading from the fool
Weak and want you need, nowhere as you bleed
Dead I am the rat, feast upon the cat
Tender is the fur, dying as you purr

Dig through the ditches,
I slam in the back of my
Dragula

Dig through the ditches,
I slam in the back of my
Dragula

Do it baby, Do it baby
Do it baby, Do it baby
Burn like an animal

Dead I am the life, dig into the skin
Knuckle crack the bone, 21 to win
Dead I am the dog, hound of hell you cry
Devil on your back, I can never die

Dig through the ditches,
I slam in the back of my
Dragula

Dig through the ditches,
I slam in the back of my
Dragula

Do it baby, Do it baby
Do it baby, Do it baby
Burn like an animal

Dig through the ditches,
I slam in the back of my
Dragula

Dig through the ditches,
I slam in the back of my
Dragula

Dig through the ditches,
I slam in the back of my
Dragula

• Love 1
1 minute ago, rue721 said:

Not sure about for Demon!Dean in particular, but I do love that song!

I think the lyrics really suit demon!Dean and MoC!Dean, especially demon!Dean when he's taking on random demons and needs to fulfill the bloodlust. And then MoC!Dean when he's slaughtering Randy and the Rapists and The Stynes.

I also imagined demon!Dean driving Baby like a bat out of Hell going from bar to bar driving as fast as he can just because he can.

Dead I am the one, Exterminating son
Slipping through the trees, strangling the breeze
Dead I am the sky, watching angels cry
While they slowly turn, conquering the worm

Dig through the ditches,
I slam in the back of my
Dragula

Dead I am the life, dig into the skin
Knuckle crack the bone, 21 to win
Dead I am the dog, hound of hell you cry
Devil on your back, I can never die

Songs I'd like to hear on Supernatural:

The Road to Hell by Chris Rea

Mr. Crowley by Ozzy Osbourne 

Life in the Fast Lane by the Eagles

Freewill by Rush

I Like It Heavy by Halestorm

Angel with a Shotgun by the Cab (this is so a Cas song, even five seconds would be funny)

Brutal Planet by Alice Cooper

Paint it Black by the Stones

Low Rider by War

Colossal (Girl) by Wolfmother (think of the teasing potential)

Hey Ya by Outcast (for Sam)

Square Hammer by Ghost

Eruption by Van Halen 

Twilight Zone by Golden Earring

Abracadabra by the Steve Miller Band

The Devil Went Down to Georgia by the Charlie Daniels Band

Whiskey in the Jar by either Metallica or Thin Lizzy

Enter Sandman by Metallica 

Godzilla by the Blue Oyster Cult

Another One Bites the Dust by Queen 

I Can't Drive 55 by Sammy Hagar

The Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden 

Comfortable Liar by Chevelle

Living Dead Girl by Rob Zombie 

Stand my Ground by Within Temptation 

Inna Godda Godiva by Iron Butterfly

Werewolves of London by Warren Zevon

Lawyers, Guns, and Money by Warren Zevon 

18 and Life by Skid Row 

Fox on the Run by Sweet (for when Amy Pond's kitsune son gets his revenge in season 20)

Voodoo by Godsmack

I Put a Spell on You by Screaming Jay Hawkins 

The Evil Woman by ELO

Fire Woman by the Cult

The Sickness by Disturbed 

The Sound of Madness by Shinedown

Schism by Tool 

Vicarious by Tool

Pet by A Perfect Circle 

One Way Ticket to Hell and Back by the Darkness 

Forsaken by David Draiman

The Howling by Within Temptation 

Salt and Shadow by Thrice

Monster by Skillet 

Animal I've Become by Three Days Grace 

Breaking the Law by Judas Priest 

Lucifer's Angel by the Rasmus (for Jack)

Edited by Whodunnit
  • Love 2

Hi everyone,

Lastest episode song was « It’s Never Too Late » by Steppenwolf. Long long time SPN fan. I guess it’s never too late to sign in and join the forum again ;)

@Whodunnit 

I’ll give you 3 wins. Great list, wish I could do more :)

In a Gadda Da vida by Iron Butterfly - S1E06:

Werewolves of London by Warren Zevon

I Put a Spell on You by Screaming Jay Hawkins - S3E09: Malleus Maleficarum

https://youtu.be/gDFZgTU49a0

And a Bonus:

A reference to CDB song « The Devil Went Down to Georgia » in Swan Song  ( A fiddle of gold against your soul cause I think I'm better than you...sang by Lucifer)

Edited by Mia-667
Sign in and register are 2 different things
  • Love 3

Over in All Episodes there was a talk about favorite musical moments. I didn’t know this thread existed! Thanks for resurrecting it @Whodunnit!

I like the “Hey Ya” suggestion. How funny would it be if we found out Sam loves that song?

I’d like to hear Jimi Hendrix on the show. They had the perfect chance with “All Along the Watchtower” last season.

• Love 2
On 11/10/2017 at 0:39 PM, Jeddah said:

I’d like to hear Jimi Hendrix on the show. They had the perfect chance with “All Along the Watchtower” last season.

Yes, me too! I had hoped that we would hear it during the finale and I was disappointed when it wasn’t used ☹️

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, bozodegama said:

Wow very impressive.  Is it hard to play?

I haven't played the piano in almost a year for...reasons. It took me some time to adjust to 6 flats LOL. And then occasionally the flats would go back to natural, with a sharp and then back again in successive chords so that threw me off. It was tricky at the end because it crossed clefs.  I have to practice it more to make it more fluid but I at least could here the melody clearly. It's really a beautiful piece. I'm so happy!

1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

I haven't played the piano in almost a year for...reasons. It took me some time to adjust to 6 flats LOL. And then occasionally the flats would go back to natural, with a sharp and then back again in successive chords so that threw me off. It was tricky at the end because it crossed clefs.  I have to practice it more to make it more fluid but I at least could here the melody clearly. It's really a beautiful piece. I'm so happy!

That’s really cool.  It is a beautiful piece.  Hard not to get emotional when you hear it.  You should record it if you can Make it fluid.  Hope you have fun learning it.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, bozodegama said:

That’s really cool.  It is a beautiful piece.  Hard not to get emotional when you hear it.  You should record it if you can Make it fluid.  Hope you have fun learning it.

Thanks! I doubt I'll record it. It was just something I wanted to do for me. :)

I was just listening to that Jason Mann’s album the cast is in recovering with Friends.  It’s actually really good.  They do 2 really hard Dylan songs I shall be released and knocking on heavens door.  Rob Benedict sings Released and Kim Rhodes Knocking.  They’re pretty good, i mean they’re not The Band but pretty good.  Speaking of The Band, they do Up on cripple creek. Pretty good job also. Ackles is great on The James gang Funk 49 and i think he does Steve Miller’s The Joker.  All in all, it’s a really good cover album of classic rock/Dylan if your into that sort of thing.

• Love 1

I heard Lonely by the Black Keys on the radio yesterday and it reminded me of Cas's relationship with Jack. Granted, I haven't seen all of S13 yet, so things might change! But for now, this is my head!canon theme song for them: