Type keyword(s) to search

Music: The Greatest Hits of Mullet Rock

• Start Topic

(As an aside ItsABear, your screen name is reminding me of Spike, and when I see it I hear Spike in my head saying it and then sayin "You made a Bear! Undo it! Undo it!" I have issues.)

I never thought of that.  I love Buffy, too!  My screen name comes from a joke my brother & I had as a kid with a stuffed animal.

I'm the one who liked Nora Jones.  Probably because I remember listening to her music in the middle of the night while nursing my son.  It calmed him down.  However, now almost 12 years later, he no longer wants to hear her music.  He says it is too dull. 

I listened to some heavy metal as a teenager, mostly Metallica and Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath.  Now I don't really like it so much.  I'm getting old.

As for the reason I don't like Closer, I think it is because I like my sex songs to be a slight bit more subtle.  That song, in my opinion, is just crude.  I listened to Pretty Hate Machine non-stop in grad school.  I'd go to the gym to get rid of my stress, and it is great for working out.  However, I hadn't listened to it in years until it recently became available at iTunes.  It wasn't there for years.  

DittyDotDot, you think Sam would be a Pearl Jam fan?  I don't know.  I picture him being more into upbeat music, akin to something like Black Eyed Peas.  I don't know why.  At least for the first 2-3 seasons.  

Pearl Jam is like Johnny Cash to me personally, though -- I *should* like it, and get why other people like it, and have tried hard to like it (I even own a bunch of both Pearl Jam and Johnny Cash songs) but in the end...just not my thing, I guess.

I feel the same way!  I never really liked Pearl Jam, even though I like other grunge bands.

• Love 2
(edited)
ItsABear, on 08 Feb 2015 - 11:38 AM, said:

DittyDotDot, you think Sam would be a Pearl Jam fan?  I don't know.  I picture him being more into upbeat music, akin to something like Black Eyed Peas.  I don't know why.  At least for the first 2-3 seasons.

Oh, I'm not saying this is what Sam would listen to, but that their sound seems to capture Sam's rhythms and attitudes and feels like Sam to me when I hear them. It's dirty and messy and kinda whiney, but also trying to sound grown up and wise even though it's not. I don't think Dean would be listening to Johnny Cash much either, but I think he captures an essence of Dean--old man outlaw that will never be kept down--so when I hear those songs that's what I think of.

Personally, I think Sam isn't all that particular about music and would listen to whatever was on the radio or whatever someone else picked and such. That's probably just me projecting though. I'm the youngest of four and pretty much had to listen to whatever my older siblings listened to. I never really developed my own taste in music as a youngster, but have developed an eclectic love of almost any music. I usually attribute that to my siblings, but of course I make it sound like a hardship in their presence to mess with them a bit. ;)

As far as Pearl Jam being frat-boy music: you're probably right, I really wouldn't know what frat boys listen to these days. Pearl Jam was kinda in its infancy when I was in college, as was the whole grunge movement, and I can't imagine any frat boys listening to it at that time. But then again, I didn't really hang with that crowd, so I wouldn't really know much about such things.

Edited by DittyDotDot

Not that I think we'd ever see/hear psychobilly on the show, but I think some of it captures the mood of the show (especially the earlier seasons) well. 

For example this one:  http://youtu.be/C79q2jSwAAs  from The Creepshow (as an aside, I want both of the dresses in that video!).  

And I honestly think Dean could appreciate this one:  http://youtu.be/2rlYPb2plaY  there's just something about the contrast in those voices!  And the story is suitably creepy. (FYI, the intro credits are a bit weird and not representative).

I really don't have a handle on what Sam would chose.  Probably just whatever is currently in the top 40, minus some of the really bubblegum stuff.

• Love 2
(edited)

I once did an exercise over at TWoP trying to nail down what each incarnation of Sam might have on his iPod. It was fun, but the main through line was that whatever Sam was listening to was mainstream and didn't require him to go out of his way to find it. I imagine current Sam has maybe gotten into some of the records that were laying around the bunker...maybe some Gershwin or Duke Ellington or Ella Fitzgerald. It'd be cool to hear some old standards in the bunker again.

Altered Reality...I love Hillbilly Moon Explosion! They have such an interesting eclectic sound to them.

Edited by DittyDotDot

And I honestly think Dean could appreciate this one:  http://youtu.be/2rlYPb2plaY  there's just something about the contrast in those voices!  And the story is suitably creepy. (FYI, the intro credits are a bit weird and not representative).

Both songs are great! Speaking of duets:  what do you guys think of this one? Of Monsters and Men, "Little Talks"

Also, the Hillbilly Moon Explosion song made me think of this. :P

I once did an exercise over at TWoP trying to nail down what each incarnation of Sam might have on his iPod. It was fun, but the main through line was that whatever Sam was listening to was mainstream and didn't require him to go out of his way to find it.

That exercise sounds so fun!

I can't see Sam liking pop music, though. He doesn't seem sentimental enough for it?

Altered Reality...I love Hillbilly Moon Explosion! They have such an interesting eclectic sound to them.

They are great, to be fair though, that song isn't representative of the majority of their stuff.  They've only done a few collaborations with Sparky (AFAIK).  Apparently I like that sort of vocal contrast.  Another favourite is July Talk, different genre, but with that contrast.  This is a good example (and the video is kinda trippy): http://youtu.be/iU5qp-cAtOU

Both songs are great! Speaking of duets:  what do you guys think of this one? Of Monsters and Men, "Little Talks"

Love "Little Talks"!  The lyrics suit Supernatural quite well too.

I can't see Sam liking pop music, though. He doesn't seem sentimental enough for it?

Oh, I didn't mean pop when I said mainstream, just stuff that was easily available via radio and such. Grudge would've been mainstream when he was in high school and what I thought Sam might've listened to at that time. I can't remember what I came up with, probably be different now because I'm just that sort of flaky.

Crap, it was driving me crazy so I looked it up on the Way Back Machine. From March 15, 2014 (late S9)...

•  S1-S3 Sam--I think of grungey rock stuff that was mainstream when he was in high school.
  • S4 demon blood drinking Sam--something angry, but still in the mainstream realm...maybe Linkin Park or if we go a bit more old school The Dead Kennedys. Or maybe it should be some druggy, psychedelic-y music like Pink Floyd, but I just can't imagine any incarnation of Sam listening to Pink Floyd...angry music it is then.
  • S5 Sam--after the drugs, maybe a bit more mellow than Early Years Sam, but still mainstream (because I always think whatever Sam is listening to is somewhat mainstream)...hum...maybe Band Of Horses...I'm really drawing a blank here.
  • Soulless Sam--he probably didn't listen to music, probably saw it as just a distraction and he probably couldn't appreciate the emotional connections, but maybe he could appreciate the order and mathematical qualities to some classical music...I don't know, still betting he just didn't listen to any.
  • Hell Pain and Crazy Sam--without Lucifer messing with his list: something soothing and comforting...maybe some Jack Johnson or Nora Jones. If Lucifer in Sam's head had anything to say about it though, I agree mizkat, Lawrence Welk or something like that.
  • Current Sam--I don't know, I bet he's gotten into old standards and stuff like they might have laying around the MoL bunker.  Maybe some Gershwin or Duke Ellington and definitely Ella Fitzgerald.

There ya go, make of it what you will.

• Love 1

I still think that Sam listened to the nu metal of the late 90's, early 2000's.  All that rap/rock stuff that John probably would have hated with the fire of 1000 suns.  ;-)

Plus, a lot of it was about daddy issues.

Example? :P

Hell Pain and Crazy Sam--without Lucifer messing with his list: something soothing and comforting...maybe some Jack Johnson or Nora Jones. If Lucifer in Sam's head had anything to say about it though, I agree mizkat, Lawrence Welk or something like that.

When I was making another playlist (over in the "you know you're obsessed with Supernatural when..." thread, lol), this is what I picked for him at that point:  Mary J. Blige, A Whole Damn Year

Ruby & Sam's anthem

Amelia & Sam's anthem

Edited by rue721

Weirdly though, it was some sort of sentimantal-type pop thing he had on that I-Pod I think before Dean yanked it out in season 4. If I remember correctly it was a Jason Mraz song, and Wiikipedia has "pop" as one of the genres he does.

And even with the classic stuff, we've seen Sam choose something "softer" maybe. In "Adventures in Babysitting" in season 7, Sam turned on a Steve Winwood/Traffic song I believe to make himself feel better and rest to, since he was kind of down (Dean was in a not sharing mood, I believe). I thought that I remembered him messing with the radio a bit first to find the song, but he might've just turned it on, so I could be wrong.

Edited to add:

Another Sam, S4 song:  Gorillaz, "Feel Good."

A song I know! Heh - but not. I feel like such a fuddy-duddy reading these song lists and not knowing hardly any of them. My taste in music is so maybe off the beaten path * but, I digress. The interesting thing about this song for me is actually the "band." I could actually maybe see Dean knowing the history of the "band members" just because it's... well animated, and although the guitar player is a little bit on the jailbait side, and a gorilla - sort of - she is an animated character, and Dean likes anime. Okay - I officially drank some crazy tonight... please ignore me.

* Currently my main CD rotation includes: Keane, The Avett Brothers, Bon Jovi, Weird Al, ELO, and a weird 90s band called Cowboy Mouth who I bought one of their CDs for one song ("Jenny Says") and only listened to that for a bit, then after a few months, I accidentally listened to the second song... and it was good, and then a couple months later, I found out I loved the 3rd song. Eventually there were 7 songs on the album I really liked and now it's one of my favorites - I'm weird that way. And the really bizarre thing: the song I bought the album for "Jenny Says" doesn't sound much like the other songs on the album, but maybe serrendipitously I ended up really liking them anyway (My two other favorites are "Take Me Back to New Orleans" and  "God Makes the Rain" - which I still can't figure out if it's a "yay God" song or a "sigh, God's kind of a jerk sometimes" song - but it's pretty, and I like it anyway - or maybe I like it for its ambiguous beauty? - Most relevant Sam and/or Dean lyrics come from the bridge:

I used to hold my fury, keep it bottled tight

And wrestle with the consequences

Each and every night

But if I put my faith in someone who was only trying to bring me down

I wouldn't stand where I am standing now).

Edited by AwesomO4000

Weirdly though, it was some sort of sentimantal-type pop thing he had on that I-Pod I think before Dean yanked it out in season 4. If I remember correctly it was a Jason Mraz song, and Wiikipedia has "pop" as one of the genres he does.

Actually, I believe it was a Jason Manns (a good friend of Jensen's) song that was playing on Sam's iPod. I'm not sure what he'd be classified as--he's definitely of the lighter fare, IMO, but not sure it'd actually be pop either.

As for the reason I don't like Closer, I think it is because I like my sex songs to be a slight bit more subtle.  That song, in my opinion, is just crude.

Definitely crude! I like the lyrics, but I think it's brilliant how the music mimics an orgasm. What kind of musical genius is able to compose a song that does that?! It's like how Kurt Cobain could scream on key. I don't understand it, but I love it!

My head!canon is now that Sam has a secret love for Fergie's Glamorous. I can actually *totally* see him grooving out to it. ETA:  This Fergie song, too! Clumsy.

I still think that Sam listened to the nu metal of the late 90's, early 2000's.  All that rap/rock stuff that John probably would have hated with the fire of 1000 suns.  ;-)

Nu Metal & "Alternative" Playlist for Sam:

S9:  Linkin Park's "In the End"

S8:  Fastball's "The Way"

S7:  Three Days Grace's "The Animal I Have Become"

S6:  Harvey Danger's "Flagpole Sitta"

S5:  Gorillaz's "Feel Good Inc"

S4:  Lit's "Miserable"

S3:  Papa Roach's "Cut My Life Into Pieces"

S2:  Eve 6's "Inside Out"

S1:  Matchbox Twenty's "Push"

Bonus Track! Dean, pre-S1:  Smash Mouth's "All Star"

The interesting thing about this song for me is actually the "band." I could actually maybe see Dean knowing the history of the "band members" just because it's... well animated, and although the guitar player is a little bit on the jailbait side, and a gorilla - sort of - she is an animated character, and Dean likes anime. Okay - I officially drank some crazy tonight... please ignore me.

I love the Gorillaz! I was thinking they were good for Sam because they're so snarky and sarcastic, while staying upbeat and lighthearted. Also about them being animated, though -- you know even their MTV Cribs episode was animated? LOL.

ETA:

Oh my god guys, did I just make a mixtape for Sam Winchester? And not even just a mixtape, but a THROWBACK mixtape? Damn.

Edited by rue721
  • Love 3

Re: the Gorillaz discussion.  From Captives:

All right, why don't you take corridor "Q"? I'll go with, uh, Del the funky homosapien.

So, yeah, I'd say Dean is a fan.  ;-)  He probably loves the video for "Stylo" -- 

(Sorry, the code isn't working for me at the moment.)

(Full disclosure, a friend and I sing "Clint Eastwood" at karaoke.  I do the rap parts, she sings.)

Edited by Demented Daisy
  • Love 3

Actually, I believe it was a Jason Manns (a good friend of Jensen's) song that was playing on Sam's iPod. I'm not sure what he'd be classified as--he's definitely of the lighter fare, IMO, but not sure it'd actually be pop either.

Oh duh. I knew that somewhere in my brain - especially the friend of Jensen's part, since I think Jensen has sung back-up for some of his stuff before - but I guess I got my Jason M-something singers mixed up. I do remember the song sounding kind of lighter, though, and maybe even a bit emo (?) before Dean yanked it out.

I love the Gorillaz! I was thinking they were good for Sam because they're so snarky and sarcastic, while staying upbeat and lighthearted. Also about them being animated, though -- you know even their MTV Cribs episode was animated? LOL.

ETA:

Oh my god guys, did I just make a mixtape for Sam Winchester? And not even just a mixtape, but a THROWBACK mixtape? Damn.

Didn't the guitar player I was mentioning earlier (Noodle?) fortuitously arrive via package in the mail - from Japan? :: snort :: I just love some of the random band "history."

And thank you, Demented Daisy - so I'm not really crazy after all (well, jury's out anyway. Heh.) Since I'd read some of the "band" history one day - I don't even remember how that happened, since I generally don't even know real-life stuff from regular artists (singers or actors) - I was thinking during this discussion that that sounded like a Dean thing.

As for your "mixed tape," rue721,I like quite a few of those songs - especially "Flagpole Sitta," "Feel Good Inc" and "The Way." That last song, I was actually proud of myself for figuring out what it was about, and it reminded me so much of my Nana and Grampa - except that the true story that the song is based on is kind of a bummer, though I don't think the group knew that at the time? I think the mystery wasn't solved until later? Still a great song, in my opinion, since it captures that kind of spirit well.

Oh, though I think I'd probably switch around your choices for season 6 and 7. I like the idea of "Animal I've Become" for soulless Sam... and "Flagpole Sitta" with all the "paranoia" and the "I'm not sick, but I'm not well" and the voices in his head which "I swear to god I think that they're snoring" (which I could so imagine Lucifer pretending to snore because he's bored Sam won't pay attention to him) would go well for season 7 Sam's state of mind. The acceptance vibe to it just seems to somewhat fit season 7 Sam who was kind of okay with his situation, but at the same time it sometimes felt like he was still in "hell". "Animal I've Become" is a bit more angsty and in addition to somewhat describing soulless Sam, it kind of fits early souled Sam for me too as he worried about what he'd done while soulless and had some concern about who he was (had been), so I could see him relating to that song.

• Love 1

Demented Daisy, I'm not sure that a worse song than "Daddy" exists. And if one comes to mind as even worse PLEASE DO NOT SHARE IT :P

Oh, though I think I'd probably switch around your choices for season 6 and 7. I like the idea of "Animal I've Become" for soulless Sam... and "Flagpole Sitta" with all the "paranoia" and the "I'm not sick, but I'm not well" and the voices in his head which "I swear to god I think that they're snoring" (which I could so imagine Lucifer pretending to snore because he's bored Sam won't pay attention to him) would go well for season 7 Sam's state of mind. The acceptance vibe to it just seems to somewhat fit season 7 Sam who was kind of okay with his situation, but at the same time it sometimes felt like he was still in "hell". "Animal I've Become" is a bit more angsty and in addition to somewhat describing soulless Sam, it kind of fits early souled Sam for me too as he worried about what he'd done while soulless and had some concern about who he was (had been), so I could see him relating to that song.

I liked "Flagpole Sitta" for Soulless Sam for the probably-way-too-literal reason that he *wasn't* sick but *wasn't* well. LOL. Also because I figured that the deadpan lyrics, like, "they cut off my legs/now I'm an amputee/ god damn you" fit Soulless Sam's deadpan vibe.

I liked "Animal I've Become" for S7 Sam because the angst and the lyrics just sounded so perfect for Sam's situation to me:

I can't escape this hell
So many times I've tried
But I'm still caged inside
Somebody get me through this nightmare
I can't control myself

[Hook]
So what if you can see the darkest side of me
No one will ever change this animal I have become
Help me believe it's not the real me
Somebody help me tame this animal

I can't escape myself
So many times I've lied
But there's still rage inside
I can't control myself

[Hook]

[bridge]

Somebody help me through this nightmare
I can't control myself
Somebody wake me from this nightmare
I can't escape this hell

The only song I'm set on, though, is "Miserable" for S4. I mean, I like the song in general, but I also just really like it for that season from Sam's POV.

ItsABear, I just had to listen to NIN's "Wish" today, because apparently there was some brouhaha about Tenacious D (who I hate, personally, but YMMV) winning the metal category in the Grammys this year? I read that people had actually been fine with Nine Inch Nails winning the category back in the day despite being even less "metal" than Tenacious D, because "Wish" was just that good, so obviously I got curious. And it was really good! Maybe I need to brush off those Nine Inch Nails songs after all :) (Also, people were making fun of how not "metal" it is to be irritated by who won a Grammy, but tbh, metal has got to be the whiniest of genres, so I think it's totally appropriate!)

• Love 1

I liked "Animal I've Become" for S7 Sam because the angst and the lyrics just sounded so perfect for Sam's situation to me:

I can't escape this hell

So many times I've tried

But I'm still caged inside

I can't control myself

ItsABear, I just had to listen to NIN's "Wish" today, because apparently there was some brouhaha about Tenacious D (who I hate, personally, but YMMV) winning the metal category in the Grammys this year? I read that people had actually been fine with Nine Inch Nails winning the category back in the day despite being even less "metal" than Tenacious D, because "Wish" was just that good, so obviously I got curious. And it was really good! Maybe I need to brush off those Nine Inch Nails songs after all :) (Also, people were making fun of how not "metal" it is to be irritated by who won a Grammy, but tbh, metal has got to be the whiniest of genres, so I think it's totally appropriate!)

I wasn't familiar with Animal I Have Become until about 3 minutes ago.  Thanks!  I just bought it from iTunes.  I think it is the kind of song my son will also like.  I agree,  That would have been a good song for season 7 Sam.

I don't watch the Grammys.  They've never been particularly good at awarding the best music.  I did hear that Beck won, though.  I loved Odelay back in the day.  I didn't know he was still putting out pop music.  And I'm right there with you in the Tenacious D hate!  Jack Black has got to be one of the most annoying people ever.  He totally messes up High Fidelity, which is an otherwise great movie.

In thinking of good songs, Monster by Skillet would be good for Dean and the MoC.

http://youtu.be/1mjlM_RnsVE

• Love 1

They played the Avett Brothers! Yay!

As I said in the episode thread, I didn't think the show would play that kind of music. One of my favorites of theirs too. (I recommend the album - there isn't a song I feel the need to skip over when listening).

Here's the cool video for the song. I like to pretend that the black car at the beginning and end of the video is Baby. ; ) .

Edited by AwesomO4000

Ever notice how similar the music in SPN is to the music in My Name Is Earl?

I guess there was something in the water, since My Name Is Earl started in '05, too.

Hmm. I really wish that they'd done a crossover, with Joy as the person-in-peril. Can you imagine?

(edited)

I think Randy being the PiP would be hilarious

I wish!

Was just watching My Name Is Earl right now and I swear to god, Earl and Randy just closed out the show with a big old BM. So sad that a crossover never happened. The shows would fit together so perfectly...the soundtrack would be great and Sam and Dean could even stay at the same motel where Earl and Randy already live!

Also, Blue Öyster Cult was just playing, and it made me wonder. What if Joy had found a Tulpa? I shudder to think.

Edited by rue721
  • Love 1
Hmm. I really wish that they'd done a crossover

Crabman could've lamented with Dean and Sam over the difficulties of maintaining an alias. Dean could've had to interview Patty the Daytime Hooker (or make Sam do it - where he could find out about her Master's Degree). And if they'd had to stay at a hotel with Earl and Randy for a night..."what do we need a second room for? You guys don't sleep in the same bed?"

I loved My Name is Earl. That show was so wrong but so funny.

• Love 1

I wish that S5's Free to Be You and Me, which is the one where Lucifer comes to Sam to say that Sam's his perfect vessel and that one day he *will* say yes, had included Black Sabbath's Black Sabbath.

Though I think this show could use a lot more Black Sabbath altogether!

Based on what we're talking about in the Dean Winchester thread AND the Spoilers thread, I wish we could hear this song on SPN (the lyrics are perfect imo):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEFNP8VADGw

Also, yesterday I was all stressed on the way to work and thought, "shake it off!" And then laughed, thinking about SPN/About a Boy. Then, on the way home, when I turned on my car, "Shake it Off" was playing on the radio! So of course I left it on and tried my best to rock out to Tylor Swift (tough, but I tried). And it had to have been kismet, because then I saw that the station I'd been listening to and had the radio tuned to -- when Tyler Swift came on -- was the hip hop station?! WUT. How else could that have happened if not kismet? :P

Edited by rue721

Do you guys know if Robert Johnson's "Crossroads Blues" has ever been played on SPN? All I remember is the cover of CB that was at the beginning of the episode Crossroads Blues. Has there ever been another cover of CB on the show, either? I tried to look it up, but the search terms are too common and couldn't find an answer.

I love that teaser in Crossroads Blues, btw. So much atmosphere! I love how Johnson tries to play but gets quieter and quieter and keeps stopping because he can hear the Hellhounds coming for him.

Off the top of my head, though, my favorite music moment on the show is that "Spirit in the Sky" sequence in Good God, Y'all! I love how the music goes from being on the soundtrack to being source music coming from that car radio. Sourcing the music like that draws you right into the scene imo.

What are your favorite uses of music in SPN?

Unfortunately, I think that somebody has taken the original "Don't Fear the Reaper" sequence from Faith off of YouTube. Or at least, I can't find it. There are just fanvids of scenes from the episode set to the song.

There are many from the early seasons that I love, not so much from the later ones.  Aside from the ones already mentioned, I love:

Bad Moon Rising during the crash sequence at the end of Devil's Trap

Back in Black at the beginning of Bloodlust  (think that's the first time we hear Dean call Baby, Baby, no?)

Oh Death as Death's intro.  Excellent choice there!

There are others as well, but those are the ones that come to mind right away (the first two perhaps because I'm rewatching~again and am on Season 2 :D )

• Love 4
(edited)

What supposedly and Altered Reality said; and also agreeing with rue on Spirit In The Sky; and will only add the Stones Play with Fire bit in The Man Who Knew Too Much where Sam hears it on the car radio inside his head and they transition out to Dean having it playing in the panic room. I also thought their use of Mississippi Moon was  well executed in Meet the New Boss, but I wouldn't say it's a particular favorite or anything. I like music to be kinda subtle but yet still feel like it lives in that space.

As far as I know, the only time Crossroads Blues, the song, has been used on the show is in the episode Crossroads Blues. It's hard to say if other covers of Johnson's songs have been used because so many of his songs have been covered over the years it's kinda been forgotten where some of them originated.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 2

There are others as well, but those are the ones that come to mind right away (the first two perhaps because I'm rewatching~again and am on Season 2 :D )

S2 was fantastic for music! I love the aesthetic of that season altogether -- how the show sounds, but also how it looks. Really well-done.

Houses of the Holy is maybe a little on the extreme side in terms of being desaturated and in terms of the music being a bit on-the-nose and overly familiar but...I love it. In S2 in general, I love how the music is "real" music and fits the "world" of the show so perfectly. Give me some electric blues/rock and a grimy squat or motel room for the boys to bond in or fight some monsters in (or both!) and I'm in heaven :)

• Love 3

I wish SO SO SO much that they'd used this song for how Sam felt after Dean died in the S9 finale :P

ETA:  or, even better! If they'd used this as part of the explanation for Sam's ~new life~ and nonchalant attitude in the S8 premiere!

Edited by rue721

Okay, for some reason - and I don't know why, because I haven't heard the song in ages - I got it in my head that Supernatural should have used Kenny Rogers and The First Edition's "Just Dropped In" somewhere. (I didn't know it was in The Big Lebowski - that just seemed to be the most popular one, so I went with it).

Okay, now that I've shared that, maybe the thought can stop bugging me... though the song will probably be stuck for a while longer, but  that's okay, because I enjoy the song quite a bit.

What are your favorite uses of music in SPN?

I never answered this? that's so unlike me. So many good ones have already been mentioned. I especially agree with the choices of "Playing With Fire" from "The Man Who Knew Too Much,"  "Don't Fear the Reaper" from "Faith", "Renegade" and "Oh, Death." Oh and "Spirit In the Sky" also.

A few more not mentioned that I really liked:

The "Knocking On Heaven's Door" sequence from "Dark Side of the Moon"

The music sequence where Castiel gets his memory back in "The Born Again Identity"

The "Laugh, Laugh, I Nearly Died" Rolling Stones song at the end of "Bloody Mary"

The musical montage of the Ghostfacers getting their equipment ready (and the Ghostfacers theme song, too)

Dean bopping to "Heat of the Moment" in "Mystery Spot"

"Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" from of course "A Very Supernatural Christmas"

"Do You Love Me?" from "The End"

"Miracles" from the end of "Mommy Dearest"

"Well Respected Man" from "It's A Terrible Life"

"The Gambler" from "Weekend At Bobby's"

"Head Full of Doubt / Road Full of Promise" from "Halt and Catch Fire" *

I guess that's more than enough, though I'll likely remember more later that I feel I should have included.

* Not only do I love that song an insane amount, but the truck going off the bridge into the Supernatural title card right at "There's a darkness upon me that's flooded in light" was great.

I never did this either.  Take everything on AwesomeO's list and add "Beautiful Loser" (Bob Seger) from EP 6.1 and "Behind Blue Eyes" (The Who) from this past week's episode and I'm good.

Edited by SueB
  • Love 1

...and "Behind Blue Eyes" (The Who) from this past week's episode.

Oh, yeah. I shouldn't have forgotten that. I loved that sequence. They totally faked me out at first, too. I thought it was going to be about Dean mostly, and I was "okay that's good and fits," but then was pleasantly surprised when they flipped it and I was thinking "yes, that makes even more sense to me". And Sam's face during that montage.. just not okay.

Oh, looking at this I just remembered: I am the worst fan ever - of both Supernatural and Bon Jovi...

How could I possibly forget the "Wanted Dead or Alive" scene from "No Rest For the Wicked?"  I guess I assumed it was already mentioned since it was an earlier season and so I was focusing on the later ones but still.. I shouldn't have forgotten that one and it should have been in my paragraph of mentions, because yeah, that's like iconic Sam and Dean there.

Also - observation: I noticed going through my list that a lot of the scenes of music I resonated with are from later seasons, but in general the music was better in the earlier seasons - such as season 2. Interestingly some of those were montages - like the "Long, Long Way From Home" one and the first "Carry On My Wayward Son" one - or the music was in the background more. It seems that later, the good music was less frequent, but sometimes more impactful * maybe and/or more purposefully chosen to go with a particular scene?

* That's not a word? My spell check is telling me it isn't, but I think it should be, so I'm keeping it.

I think a lot of the music was more affordable early on.  The budgets were bigger for the music.  I still wonder who's soul they actually sold to get 'Behind Blue Eyes".  And who's soul they will sell to get Kashmir, or Travelin' Riverside Blues or Ramble On.

Because I swear if this show ends without hearing Dean's favorite songs......that will just be wrong.

Disclaimer:  I'm only at the end of S8 (major Netflix bingewatch), so if this happens in the next season & a half I apologize... but I really feel that they have or will have missed the boat on not having Aerosmith's "Angel" being played at some point.  Seriously, that just writes itself. 

I think a lot of the music was more affordable early on.  The budgets were bigger for the music.  I still wonder who's soul they actually sold to get 'Behind Blue Eyes".  And who's soul they will sell to get Kashmir, or Travelin' Riverside Blues or Ramble On.

Because I swear if this show ends without hearing Dean's favorite songs......that will just be wrong.

I'd love Ramble On, but Zepplin is notorious for not giving rights to their songs, so I'm not counting on it. I was shocked Kripke got one of their songs for Revolution. I'd love it though.