Type keyword(s) to search

Cast in Other Roles

Sara2009

Speaking of tv movies, Heather's movie Romantically Speaking airs tonight on something called PixL TV, and I just went to their site because I have never heard of it, and apparently they are a network that provides "family safe" and "clean" entertainment. Alrighty then.

Just saw an interview with John Cameron Mitchell and he talked about writing a few jokes about Hedwig (Darren) looking so young. So I guess that's one of the things he's changing about the show when he said he's "rewriting things just for Darren" from an earlier article.

• Love 3

Regarding some Glee castmember daring "risky adventures", "challenging avenues", and "voice work for animation", etc., etc., etc., if my deconstruction of some biographical texts is accurate, of which I possess a certain measure of confidence having garnered a 60th percentile ranking in a Mississippi standardized middle-school reading comprehension exam, then an understandably overlooked supporting actress on that late, lamented show has already demonstrated, on more than one occasion, a bold willingness to forsake the safety of "commercially viable ventures" (loves me some alliteration) for the high-reward potential of unexplored artistic terrain. Moreover, as can be discerned from the following clip:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3EmQ5xch0u0

she is not above bribing a soundman to turn off a colleague's mic in order to impress a gullible public. With chutzpah like that, who knows but that we may hear from her again. Soon.

Is this about Darren mic being "turned off" when the "sang"? I could hear him fine when he spoke at the end, so....

I should go find me a decoder ring for some posts. 

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1

Definitely don't hear Darren singing there but with the fake singing at the beginning, maybe he didn't want to. Are they talking about Jenna? Don't hear Becca either so....

I assume it's Jenna given the "understandably overlooked supporting actress" comment.

I think if roll my eyes any harder at the suggestion they'll roll out of my head. 

From the Paris Con about Darren's album: "putting it on the back burner to focus on his acting career. Not wanting to be pitted against Glee, wanting to do music on his own terms; "for now not planning to release it but will see".

So the album has been DOA at Columbia, as people have said here.

Edited by fakeempress

Sp the album is DOA at Columbia, as people have said here.

As I said on the previous page, albums (and other projects) get pushed back all the time for a variety of reasons, either by the label or by the artists themselves, including because their priorities change. And sometimes it is done by mutual agreement (yes Dorothy, amicable partings do occur in business).

I remember that several months ago DC said his brother had advised him not to let his album smell of compromise. Perhaps that was a first indication that this was a possible outcome. One consequence may very well be that his option with Columbia will lapse (or has already done so), allowing him to eventually work with an indie label whose sensibility would be more in tune with his own as a performer. I think that a big label like Columbia would probably push for very pop-oriented songs, something that does not quite fit him I think; his attempts to write and perform more poppy sounding songs for his tour in 2013 did not sound very convincing to me as compared to his other numbers.

In the mean time he may indeed concentrate on acting, stage or screen(s), and also on composing for other people or theater companies, while singing mostly at special or charity events.

I think that "DOA" is an inaccurate description of events as we know them. They did work on it for some time, so the project was alive for a good period since he joined the show. Where it goes now (or if it goes anywhere) remains to be seen.

Just saw an interview with John Cameron Mitchell and he talked about writing a few jokes about Hedwig (Darren) looking so young. So I guess that's one of the things he's changing about the show when he said he's "rewriting things just for Darren" from an earlier article.

He has tinkered with the text before; he changed it recently to allow for his own knee injury. I think that just about all of the others actors who have played the part are younger than JMC by now but DC is probably the youngest, so a few more adjustments may be necessary along the lines you suggest.

I think DOA is a pretty accurate description of the album per Columbia.

IIRC Darren said in an interview that an artist has a responsibility to throw a wide enough net commercial and not be artsy pretentious to just satisfy himself,yada, yada.

Here is the link:

http://www.mtv.com/n...ss-debut-album/

Then later Anderson from Glee said the situation with Darren's album was "heartbreaking".

Then we get the later PR talk of not compromising yourself artistically, and yup, I have a bridge you can buy in the Bay area .

Lea is apparently working on her second album on Columbia in April, no danger for the label of being too "close" to Glee.

AS of now that album is dead per the label Columbia is my guess. When Darren in this Paris Glee convention is quoted saying it isn't "about selling records" and "deadlines" well that pretty much spells out it's not going to work with a major label, which is ALL about selling records and deadlines.

He'll maybe pop up in an independent label next year is my spec, so his album will come out eventually.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

As I said on the previous page, albums (and other projects) get pushed back all the time for a variety of reasons, either by the label or by the artists themselves, including because their priorities change. And sometimes it is done by mutual agreement (yes Dorothy, amicable partings do occur in business).

Sure, if you said it, it must be so.

And yet, Adam Anders' interview in June 2014, ffw to 34:40. "Darren Criss, it’s a no-brainer, right? And he made a record; it hasn’t come out, which is heart-breaking. And that’s the business; there’s nothing easy. And even if you’re Lea Michele or Darren Criss, it’s not easy.

And that’s why I say the work ethic is so important, and there is no entitlement in the entertainment industry. You’ve got to earn it. And you’ll learn that quickly."

Right before that,  Anders talks about Lea's album, for comparison's sake.

Nine months ago, Darren delivered an album to Columbia which is the label under the Glee cast contracts, and the label shelved it. How about them actual facts from the horse's mouth. 

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 2

If I had to guess, Columbia wanted Darren to be the current version of Teen Beat's cover feature and he wanted to be Adam Levine. There was never a meeting of the minds. They both didn't budge. We'll probably never see whatever got recorded in the attempts at making something they'd both be willing to release. That didn't work out. They've both chosen other horses at this point. 

• Love 2

Adam also says in the same interview that he has set up a label for up and coming artists. Obviously I have no idea if that's an option in Darren's case but the indie label path seems better suited to him anyway imo.  

If I had to guess, Columbia wanted Darren to be the current version of Teen Beat's cover feature and he wanted to be Adam Levine. There was never a meeting of the minds. They both didn't budge.

I think both he and the label aimed for Adam Levine, because the label was looking for Maroon 5 type beats and hooks for him (as per a Looking For by the label posted in the Darren thread a while ago). It sounded like both were at the very same page. 

Edited by fakeempress

My guess is that within a few months we'll get the inevitable announcement that Darren  and the record label have parted ways.   I don't know if it's all artistic "differences", it can also be that Columbia doesn't think there is a market for any of the Glee cast other than Lea.    Naya and Amber's albums didn't pan out so I wouldn't be surprised if Darren's doesn't either with Columbia.

Like I said in the past Darren said that being more accessible commercially was part of an artist responsiblity

Of course the "out" is the old artistic differences and integrity shtick.

In the long run, he might be happier in a small indie label doing the kind of music he wants, so we'll what happens.

In light of what Adam says in the interview, Darren's tour in summer 2013 when he played some new songs, could've been the testing ground for the label, instead of releasing a single. Naya released Sorry in September 2013, and was dropped by the label by May 2014. Amber had Colorblind released as digital download last April (and performed it on Glee), and sometime later last year she said she was dropped by the label. I think the trend is obvious, the only exception being Lea. (Not sure where Matt's albums are at).

Darren first talking about commercial accessibility and being eclectic, and then last year making a 180 about how he'd been compromising, and that having a pop record with huge songs on the radio and touring around isn't who he is (?!), a few months ago still stating the album will be his first priority after Glee, and now stating it's on the backburner because he's concentrating on the acting  -- yeah, doesn't sound like he's still at Columbia, for one. 

Just as Chris has been silent about the asylum movie and last time he was asked he said he was turning it into a play -- it's clear it's not going anywhere in its original form.  It may be reworked down the line, who knows, but for now seems dead.

This doesn't mean they're going to hang up their coats, not at all. They're just starting their after-Glee life. But as fas as their Glee record deals, it's pretty much over for anyone not called Lea.  I'm sure Amber and Darren, and possibly Naya will try to work out deals somewhere else, and Kevin said he may work on an album too. In fact, Amber just tweeted she's going harder into her album. 

Edited by fakeempress

Parting ways with a label is not really a bad thing anyway. Even if it's simply that they have no interest in him or his music, at least it allows for the chance to find a better fit somewhere else. It's better than being stuck at a label that doesn't really care for the artist's material but does not want to let them go and risk their getting success somewhere else. It's like being held hostage and it's happened to many singers in the past. Again, whatever the reason, if things aren't working out, it's probably best on all sides to part. Plenty of people go through multiple labels sometimes before they find some success.

It took Katy Perry three labels before she found a right fit and had success. Lady Gaga was dropped from her first label before finding success at her current one. Adam Lambert, just before he got the Glee appearance had the "parting of ways" with his label because they just didn't want to invest in him anymore and didn't consider him viable as a current hit artist. He's found another label and has a new single coming out next month. Not saying that will happen with Darren, just saying that if the "parting of ways" is indeed coming, might be the best thing for him in the long run. 

• Love 2

Amber is the one who I think will probably have  her album released next, as far as the non Lea cast.

She strikes me as the only one who would be willing to put the blood/sweat/tears into a potential recording career by touring in gigs large and small and paying her dues.  Plus I think she thinks of herself primarily as a singer.  I don't see her wanting to just act without performing.  It seems singing runs in her family (her mom has a gorgeous voice)

Naya,  Lea , Chord and Darren I woudl think would fall back to acting more easily, as its probably the easier road (at this point) for them. 

Of course if Amber gets a gig like "Empire" all bets are off...LOL.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 2

Amber outright said she was dropped by the label, no sugarcoating and no spin. She's been very upfront about things. I've really come to respect her a whole lot more lately, than I already did. I'm really rooting for her, and I have to say I liked her single.

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 4
Just as Chris has been silent about the asylum movie and last time he was asked he said he was turning it into a play -- it's clear it's not going anywhere in its original form.  It may be reworked down the line, who knows, but for now seems dead.

Last year in the summer Chris stated that plans for it as a movie were back on the table.  Supposedly he was having a couple of meetings a month over Asylum. 

Chris did say he would not make the same mistake he did with "SBL" ,where he had to shoot it in an insane short period of time between A glee tour and Season 3.

We know Chris is probably filming NOEL in April (?) and then probably a book tour for his next LOS book to come out in early Jutly.   After that who knows what of his projects is next?

Having said, that, considering  the limbo most planned film project reside it, it's still up in the air when and if Asylum is viable .

Edited by caracas1914

Last year in the summer Chris stated that plans for it as a movie were back on the table.  Supposedly he was having a couple of meetings a month over Asylum.

Chris did say he would not make the same mistake he did with "SBL" ,where he had to shoot it in an insane short period of time between A glee tour and Season 3.

Must have missed that last summer.  

One reason he said he was pressing on with SBL so insanely was because he wanted to play Carson while he could still convincingly pass for a high schooler. But in general he's always been upfront that he was trying to strike while the iron is still hot.

Edited by fakeempress

http://www.vulture.com/2014/05/chris-colfer-writing-glee-episode-interview.html

There was a movie based in an asylum you’ve talked about before. Is that still in the works?
It’s still in the works. I have a good three meetings about that project a month. It’s very difficult for me to write and produce something while I’m filming Glee. I might have to wait until Glee is over to do that. I did Struck by Lightning while I was filming Glee and it was very, very difficult. It was like having two full-time jobs at once. I think I’ll have to wait until after Glee is over to give that project the attention it deserves.

• Love 1

This was in the Kevin McHale thread but I thought it relevant per the potential album deals..

From a Mario Lopez interview this year:

Music’s so hard. It was one of those things where I was working on it a couple of years ago and luckily Columbia—all the Glee people, we’re all signed with Columbia—and they were so great about like, “Look, we respect all you guys, we trust all you guys, go do what you want to do.” So I spent the summer figuring out what I wanted to do and I realized I don’t know what…it was one of those things […] because I love tons of different genres of music and so there’s a difference between what you like listening to and then what you actually want to make for yourself, and I had to figure that out. So luckily, going through that I realized I was like, “Wait, nothing I’m doing is right, this isn’t right,” but I kind of needed to go through that to figure out, “Well, that not what I want to do,” so then I had to figure out what I do want to do which I’ve gotten closer, I think I will—once Glee is done I will get back at that."
Edited by caracas1914

Kevin is like Amber in that he's been refreshingly open. That's also how they've been on their radio show.

He also has the experience of having been through it before, with his boy band. 

Edited by fakeempress

I don't think it's quite as easy as Kevin puts it, though.  I think they put out stuff for the Label and the Label company says YEA or NAY and "suggests" things that they think should happen on the album.  At least to unproven recording acts like most of the Glee cast.

Edited by caracas1914

That's how I took is as well, they were given a free hand to suggest the sound and come up with their ideas, as opposed to the label saying from the start, you will do a Timberlake sound. Or maybe Kevin just never reached the tough love stage and rejection because he didn't come up with anything in the first place, if that's how it really went. 

But Darren's spin in that magazine interview about how the pop sound, the touring and radio play wasn't him -- it's such BS. What, all this time he just wanted to be a wedding singer or an artiste? Give me a break. 

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 2

There comes a moment when the excuses as to why Darren's album has not seen the light of day are seen for what they are - excuses. Darren has used every one in the book. The latest, not wanting to compete with Glee, is especially laughable given that Glee is finished and hasn't been really relevant in years. And we've been hearing from Anders that it was the label making the decision not to release the album and not Darren's whims. The writing has been on the wall for quite some time that Columbia lost their interest in promoting any of the Glee cast with the sole exception of Lea.

It's time for Darren to move on. If he wants to put out an album, then either try to market it to another recording label or release it independently.

• Love 1

It's time for Darren to move on. If he wants to put out an album, then either try to market it to another recording label or release it independently.

His album is likely in recording label purgatory right now.  Don't know the actual contract terms Columbia had with the Glee cast, but I really doubt he can market and release any material he created under that label with anyone else. Not anytime soon anyway.

Hopefully he is starting over with another label that does want to work with him, but his role in Hedwig is probably taking priority right now.  It'd be refreshing if he'd be more upfront with what's going on though instead of deflecting with things like trying to distance himself from Glee.

• Love 1

Even if his album at Columbia is DOA, that doesn't necessarily mean that he's free to go elsewhere to create music under an indie label. From what I understand, Columbia would have to actually release him as an artist. The singer Jojo went through hell with her label, because they essentially dropped her but wouldn't release her so that she was free to go to another label. She ended up suing them, after like 3 years of bullshit, and they finally released her.

I'm not saying Columbia would do the same thing, but I think it's more complicated than them just passing on his album and him making another one elsewhere. The same for Naya, too. 

• Love 1

Even if his album at Columbia is DOA, that doesn't necessarily mean that he's free to go elsewhere to create music under an indie label. From what I understand, Columbia would have to actually release him as an artist. The singer Jojo went through hell with her label, because they essentially dropped her but wouldn't release her so that she was free to go to another label. She ended up suing them, after like 3 years of bullshit, and they finally released her.

I'm not saying Columbia would do the same thing, but I think it's more complicated than them just passing on his album and him making another one elsewhere. The same for Naya, too. 

Yea, that's what I was trying to say.  It's not as easy as just hopping to another label and releasing your music.  I don't think Columbia would do the same thing Jojo's former label did, but it's still not easy.  Her former label was awful and could really be barely called a label at this point; I don't think they even have any distribution deals in place anymore.  Nevertheless, Columbia most likely owns the stuff Darren's already created.  He'd really most likely need to start over entirely.

• Love 1

Interesting stuff.

The take away I get from this discussion is that some one like Amber officially dropped from Columbia actually is in a better position to already start work on a new album, albeit with new material.

On a more positive note I'm glad Columbia is moving ahead with Lea's second album, IIRC sometime in April.

While I have no major expectations of a big tour from Lea, hopefully she might do a modest mini tour of a few engagements this summer.

Edited by caracas1914

Also, an album is a big, personal project, and even more so for a songwriter like Darren. If he's not quite ready to admit defeat with Columbia, that's his issue to work through. If Columbua really wished to make it clear that the album is dead, they'll give their own PR statement.

• Love 1

What I don't get is why Darren feels the need to beat about the bush in regards to the status of his album. It's not exactly a state secret that the label lost interest in not just his album, but for the other cast members (again, with the exception of Lea). Simply state that the album is currently on hold and that he's exploring his options. That sounds a lot better and more reasonable than not releasing an album because he doesn't want to complete with a dead tv program.

• Love 1

Also, an album is a big, personal project, and even more so for a songwriter like Darren. If he's not quite ready to admit defeat with Columbia, that's his issue to work through. If Columbua really wished to make it clear that the album is dead, they'll give their own PR statement.

Not really.  Artists get dropped from their labels a lot of the time with little fanfare.  Darren isn't an artist that creates much GA buzz.  It's not like Rihanna, Katy Perry, or Taylor etc. leaving a label.

What I don't get is why Darren feels the need to beat about the bush in regards to the status of his album. It's not exactly a state secret that the label lost interest in not just his album, but for the other cast members (again, with the exception of Lea). Simply state that the album is currently on hold and that he's exploring his options. That sounds a lot better and more reasonable than not releasing an album because he doesn't want to complete with a dead tv program.

Yea, I'd prefer if Darren was just more straightforward with what's going on, but there might be some lingering stuff he doesn't want to reveal.  The excuse of deflecting on Glee is not a good one though.  Come up with a better spin!

Edited by dizzyizzy01

Right, but if the label dislikes Darren's equivocations, they will set the record straight. Right now they don't seem to care, so I don't care if Darren keeps giving explanations and excuses.

• Love 1

So the Label pretty much owns any material you worked on and recorded under the contract, released or not.

The Major labels seem to screw artists big time, I read before that TLC had some huge selling albums , one of the highest of the 90's and ending up owing the Label company once the accounting was done.

The most lucrative thing an artist can usually do is touring.

Unless your Prince and record your own label for yourself.

Edited by caracas1914

Yea, I'd prefer if Darren was just more straightforward with what's going on, but there might be some lingering stuff he doesn't want to reveal.  The excuse of deflecting on Glee is not a good one though.  Come up with a better spin!

I remember Naya was asked about her album maybe a year and a half ago or so, and she basically said, "I don't know, maybe you should ask Columbia" (and Kevin was right next to her and busted out laughing). 

I remember Naya was asked about her album maybe a year and a half ago or so, and she basically said, "I don't know, maybe you should ask Columbia" (and Kevin was right next to her and busted out laughing). 

The thing with Darren is that he's always PR-ed this album as his vision and his creation, his songwriting, his singing -- his authorship and his timing and his decision. Remember when he said Lea had it easier with her album because she didn't write her songs (as if she just showed up in the studio and recorded them as on Glee). At the same time he kept saying ever since he came on Glee it's been five years and more, that he always wrote songs, anywhere. If you can't come up with 13 songs over five years that are deemed viable, the label isn't going to wait for you five more, until your artistic vision aligns itself -- but since the spin is he's the auteur and he takes the creative decisions, he seems in a bind now to explain how it's been Columbia's final call all this time. 

I wonder if he's aware that Adam Anders already let the cat out of the bag. 

Edited by fakeempress

This interview I posted earlier is interesting...

Remember when he said Lea had it easier with her album because she didn't write her songs (as if she just showed up in the studio and recorded them as on Glee).

This bothers me because an interpretive singer (aka doesn't write their material) can be just as involved in the creative process of having an album or even single produced . I cringe when music snobs act as if  singing someone's composition is lesser.

Etta James didn't write "At Last" as far as I know, but I wouldn't say it makes her contribution any less to a memorable recording.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 2

This interview I posted earlier is interesting...

This bothers me because an interpretive singer (aka doesn't write their material) can be just as involved in the creative process of having an album or even single produced . I cringe when music snobs act as if  singing someone's composition is lesser.

Etta James didn't write "At Last" as far as I know, but I wouldn't say it makes her contribution any less to a memorable recording.

I couldn't get the link to work, but if it's the interview I'm recalling, I don't think Darren has ill intent, but he has perpetual foot in mouth disease.  Dude just needs to not talk sometimes.  Sometimes less is more.  Including the deflection on the current state of his album.  

I think sometimes the simpler explanation is the better one and if you are trying to justify what's going on with your stuff it's rarely a good idea to bring another person's work into the discussion.  Especially if you're trying to downplay why yours is being held-up but another person's hasn't been.

Edited by dizzyizzy01

With any label, the final verdict is based on whether or not they think an album will sell. Sure, critical acclaim is all well and good, but artists are expected to move units and that seems to be the deciding factor here. I think that Lea's album was the test case, as she's one of the most well known actors on Glee and well as having such a strong reputation as a singer. Her album did mediocre sales and wasn't a big critical darling. Her sales might have been enough to get her a second album, but it certainly could have had a hand in souring Columbia's outlook on what the rest of the cast that they had lined up would do. It would only be a downward slide from Lea's numbers.

Darren does have an annoying habit of always trying to puff up his own image and doesn't mind subtly bashing others to do so. The summer that he did his tour and he "joked" about everyone else having the summer off to rest and travel while he was working blatantly ignored that Chris was busy promoting his latest book and that Lea was working on her album. And that comment about how Lea wasn't writing all the songs on her album was also out of line.

Edited by Hana Chan
  • Love 1

The summer that he did his tour and he "joked" about everyone else having the summer off to rest and travel while he was working blatantly ignored that Kurt was busy promoting his latest book and that Lea was working on her album.

It's Chris but the rest is accurate :)

I think there's probably a lack of respect for the pop princess types who have no creative input on their songs, and they basically just go in a recording studio and push out computerized crap in such an inauthentic way. However, that's still night and day from someone who's a singer but still has creative input into what they're doing, even if they don't write the music itself. R-E-S-P-E-C-T was an Otis Redding song, and later Aretha covered it and completely made that song her bitch. Whitney Houston covered I Will Always Love You, and her version is the one that most people remember and is probably what she's best known for.

I think Darren must not realize what he's saying when he talks about writing an album being so much harder than just singing one. Or, if he does, he's completely thumbing his nose at pretty much all 40s, 50s, and 60s music, up until folk and rock started getting big and bands started writing their own music (but even then, there were still a lot of covers, too).

With any label, the final verdict is based on whether or not they think an album will sell. Sure, critical acclaim is all well and good, but artists are expected to move units and that seems to be the deciding factor here. I think that Lea's album was the test case, as she's one of the most well known actors on Glee and well as having such a strong reputation as a singer. Her album did mediocre sales and wasn't a big critical darling. Her sales might have been enough to get her a second album, but it certainly could have had a hand in souring Columbia's outlook on what the rest of the cast that they had lined up would do. It would only be a downward slide from Lea's numbers.

Naya's album was shelved, or at the very least put on the VERY far back-burner, way before Lea ever released her album.

With any label, the final verdict is based on whether or not they think an album will sell. Sure, critical acclaim is all well and good, but artists are expected to move units and that seems to be the deciding factor here. I think that Lea's album was the test case, as she's one of the most well known actors on Glee and well as having such a strong reputation as a singer. Her album did mediocre sales and wasn't a big critical darling. Her sales might have been enough to get her a second album, but it certainly could have had a hand in souring Columbia's outlook on what the rest of the cast that they had lined up would do. It

would only be a downward slide from Lea's numbers.

Darren does have an annoying habit of always trying to puff up his own image and doesn't mind subtly bashing others to do so. The summer that he did his tour and he "joked" about everyone else having the summer off to rest and travel while he was

working blatantly ignored that Kurt was busy promoting his latest book and that Lea was working on her album. And that comment about how Lea wasn't writing all the songs on her album was also out of line.

Matt Morrison was also promoting HIS 2nd album during that time.