Type keyword(s) to search

Cast in Other Roles

Sara2009

(edited)

Between this and the Finding Neverland musical workshop, Matt is making great decisions about his career direction!

This seems to be a small supporting role but it sounds gritty. The movie itself and the cast is excellent so it could be a stepping stone for him to more good projects.

Edited by Pink ranger
  • Love 1
(edited)

Matt's role in this period piece set in the Dutch tulip financial crash sounds interesting , and I wouldn't be surprised if Matt gets a new series or musical as soon as Glee ends.  The JM Barrie writer musical  role he participated with  in the work shop was too much commitment as far as an actual run because it would mean he would not be available for Glee at all once production started.  Though if it's a hit I wouldn't be surprised if Matt takes over the role next year.

Edited by caracas1914
(edited)

Matt has said that he wants to take a break from television after " Glee." With that being said, it's possible he'd reconsider if the offer was good.

I'm also excited about the indie film that he's executive producing and starring in, " After the Reality." I'll be interested to see how he and

Sarah Chalke play off each other. Funny

enough, Jane Lynch has a role in that film too. I

wonder if that 's just a coincidence. There's also a mini " Hairspray" reunion since Laura Bell Bundy is also in the film.

Edited by Sara2009
(edited)

Yes. Not in the same song, though. LOL

I think that would be amazing, though. Matt and Cheyenne sounded great together in that " Legally Brown" parody video.

Edited by Sara2009
(edited)

Nice seeing  most of them gettng other parts even if just guest shots it wil help them break free of glee. 

I saw Kevin show and it seems odd to  me they didn't just get some Brit to do the show.   He was fine but it seems  like something  nearly anyone could do.

Edited by tom87

I wonder if knws martial arts or if they think he will be able to do it easily casue of how naturally he moves?   I mean if he does have to do them at all.

If I remember right, Zhang Ziyi who starred in the original had no marital arts training and like Harry, was a dancer. The combat scenes are so heavily choreographed that dancers actually handle them very well and outside of really good martial artists, are the best at these types of scenes. Don't think that Harry will have any problem.

• Love 1

A review of Janna Ushkowitz and Amber Riley in Hair 

http://www.broadwayworld.com/los-angeles/article/BWW-Reviews-All-Star-Cast-Brings-Lively-HAIR-to-the-Hollywood-Bowl-20140803#.U96d8lZ-9lL

As a bit of a Tina stan this stood out to me: 

Among the ladies, I was struck by how pretty Ushkowitz, Hyland, and Bell sounded in their respective solo ballads. I also want to point out how Ushkowitz in this show proves that she has been sorely underutilized to the fullest extent on Glee. HAIR not only showcase her already known vocal abilities, but it also revealed how wonderfully endearing and, wow, how much of an effortless comic actor she is!

Harry's off filming the sequel of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" as we speak as one of the leads; I would seriously laugh my ass off if he turns out to have the most successful movie career of all the Glee cast.

• Love 3

Harry's off filming the sequel of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" as we speak as one of the leads; I would seriously laugh my ass off if he turns out to have the most successful movie career of all the Glee cast.

At this point his only competition appears to be Dianna Agron.

Actually Kevin has one movie being released this month with some big name costars ( Dustin Hoffman, Kathy Bates, etc) and is filming another one any day now where's he's one of the leads. Chord just wrapped up an indie movie project and Matt Morrison filmed a period film "Tulip Madness" a few months ago. Chris of course starts in the Noel biopic in England as the lead with Ian Mckellen, Vanessa Redgrave and Jonathan Pryce next year.

I wasn't being facetious about Harry, though, since if the CTHD sequel is successful, it could generate serious box office grosses worldwide and spawn more sequels.

Considering all the wank among fandoms about who's going to have the best movie prospects post Glee it's safe to say Harry was far from the top of most lists.

So far I would split the "dark horse" prize for career success between Harry and Grant Gustin. I am chuffed for Harry in particular though. I shamefully admit to not having high expectations for him after he departed Glee but he is indeed kicking ass!

It's still early days though. Practically speaking you can't really compare the movie roles that the series regulars are able to squeeze in around their Glee commitments vs those that the currently free agents have the time to accept. In a couple of years we will be able to make a fairer assessment.

Edited by Pink ranger

I think it is always such a crap shoot who actually ends up hitting it big after coming off of a hit show. I remember some talk about the cast of "That 70's Show" (it was kind of a hit). I think at the time bets were certainly on Topher Grace and Laura Pepron as they were the leads. I know Topher has been in some movies but I'm not sure how successful they were. I know Laura had some TV shows that didn't make it. Her role in Orange Is the New Black is the fisrt one in a while that has really but her back in the game. I think it is sfe to say that Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher are the ones who came out of that cast with the biggest careers. Now Ashton's was partly owed to hooking up with Demi, but he actually had some hit movies (I didn't say they were good, and he was the Exec. Producer of Punk'd. Mila vaulted onto the A List thanks to "Black Swan". I'm just not sure if anyone would have picked them to be the two to really hit it big.

I think it will probably be the same way with Glee. Especially since a good number of them are going to probably try and do acting and/or music. I really do have a feeling that there are going to be some surprises as to who actually has a big career after this.

On the other hand, in the cases of Will Smith, Jennifer Anniston, George Clooney, Zac Effron and James Franco, the predictable star of a TV show/Movie went huge and pretty quickly. It is indeed a crapshoot.

What's somewhat unique about Glee is the sheer size of the cast ( over 30 by next season ) and the really fluid screen time changes that have occurred over the course of the series. So could one of the recently dismissed Sophomores break out in a big way or could Matt Morrison redeem himself as a screen leading Man? We will soon find out but I am wishing everybody luck .

Edited by Pink ranger

Ashton Kutcher making it big over Topher Grace just proved to me that talent had nothing to do with who would be the breakout star of any TV show. So I'm not placing bets. Who knows, Girl who played Bree might be the one to outshine them all!

It is a total crapshoot over who will be the most successful. I think with Glee it'll be even more of a crapshoot because it's not simply about acting on screen, we could see actor from Glee been successful in music, theatre, both Jane Lynch and Kevin McHale have been hosting gameshows, because of the nature of the show the glee cast may find themselves with more opportunities than other actors. 

I do wonder if the likes of Lea, Darren and Chord may find Glee a bit of an albatross, they've had the brunt of the shitty writing, and appear to be the focus of the train wreck that is season 6. 

I will laugh my ass off if one of the newbies becomes one of the most successful. 

If most the Glee cast stays gainfully employed to avoid a 9-5 I'd think they would consider that at a win/win career wise.  I think most of them are talented enough and got enough name cred  to carve out a living in show biz. Amber probably will not become a huge pop star but I'm sure she'll get gigs singing and in  music biz.   Does any seriously think at the least Matt and Lea won't get offered Broadway shows?  Jane it goes without saying will be getting more opportunities and is already set post Glee with her TV  game show gig.  Not everything has to be TV/movie high profile work. You have voice overs, touring or repertory theatre, guest starring roles, etc,

As to some stratospheric career success post Glee, that is as much a factor of luck and timing as anything.  Even established actors/names struggle to repeat their breakout success with another  hit  TV show, I think Kelsey Grammar is on his 3 or 4th TV show post Frasier and none have had staying power. 

Edited by caracas1914

Jane seems like she can get work for as long as she wants it. Kevin is doing really well on the character actor scale. Dianna and Harry (wtf?) are working with huge names who can do things with them in the future if they impress. The rest seem up for grabs because they're not free yet or haven't managed to book that next thing.

Matt and Chris are also working with some pretty big names.

Matt's been doing that for ages and it's never gone much of anywhere, so I sort of write that off. I think he's fantastic at Broadway and maybe should stick to that. Chris keeps working (or planning to) with big actors, but not the big producers. That's where the real stuff happens. Maybe something Chris has lined up turns into something, but it seems more iffy to me than Dianna and Harry at this point. He hasn't escaped this Glee mess yet. It's harder to guess where he'll go once he does. Dianna and Harry are working with huge names who can bankroll major productions. That's some impressive stuff. Kudos to them.

I actually think Amber could have a pretty good recording career. I could see her being very successful in music. If nothing else she has an R and B career on lock. I think Naya could still do big things acting or music wise. She has talent and the looks. However I think she has hurt herself recently by seeming a little erratic. 

Honestly I'm thinking Stoner Brett is going to be the one to go all the way! He and Matt Rutherford!

• Love 1

Personally, I'm not going to write Matt off just because he made a few cameos in films before " Glee" and then was one of the stars of " What To Expect When You're Expecting." I don't think he's destined for the A-list, but I don't think his film career will necessarily be a complete failure either. We'll just have to see. The Weinstein film has potential at least.

Chris could also be really successful if he's impressive in " Noel."

Of all the people on " Glee," Amber is the only one I could see having a huge recording career.

Glee isn't over yet, it's way too early to write anybody out. Harry effectively left the show 2 years ago and it took him some time to land these big projects.

Look at any A-listers early resume and it's likely not that dissimilar to what the Glee cast are currently doing; Indies, supporting roles ect. Give them some time to attempt to climb the greasy pole!l

Yes let's revisit in 2018/19 to see the casts career resumes.

Ana Kendrick is an actress , started as a Broadway baby, who both sings and does straight dramatic roles, she's someone the Glee cast could savor her resume at the ripe old age of 29.

I think it is always such a crap shoot who actually ends up hitting it big after coming off of a hit show. 

Who'd have thunk back then that Jared Leto will be the Oscar winner out of the MSCL lot?  

Matt's been doing that for ages and it's never gone much of anywhere, so I sort of write that off. I think he's fantastic at Broadway and maybe should stick to that. Chris keeps working (or planning to) with big actors, but not the big producers. That's where the real stuff happens. Maybe something Chris has lined up turns into something, but it seems more iffy to me than Dianna and Harry at this point. He hasn't escaped this Glee mess yet. It's harder to guess where he'll go once he does. Dianna and Harry are working with huge names who can bankroll major productions. That's some impressive stuff. Kudos to them.

I'm not sure if Matt is looking for another TV gig, but I feel he's got more chances for a major starring role there. 

Very curious how Harry's career will go after those movies. Watch him become the big action star of the lot, won't that be fun. Dianna though has a couple of big name colabs already but has yet to make a real impression. Maybe the indie she's shooting now will show her in a new light, because so far she's been unmemorable imo - but that's not to say she won't get steady work.

I wonder what kind of roles Chris has been getting offers for so far apart from Noel - that is, if he's being typecast. I've seen quite a few people online convinced he's basically playing himself on Glee and that's all he can do. Not sure if the big studios or movie producers will necessarily see him differently, so I think when he's not doing his own projects, his best bet re movies is get in with interesting directors and strong (indie or not) projects. But he seems to be getting more into producing and development, and he's also got his books, so if not one than the other I guess.

It's so hard to say right now. Maybe when we've seen the bulk of the first wave post-Glee projects, we'll have a better idea.

Edited by fakeempress

Many many actors; Hugh Jackman, Matthew Broderick, Bryan Cranston, Neil Patrick Harris, Sean Hayes, Daniel Radcliffe.. Successfullŷ mixes screen and theatre work. Involvement in either field doesn't prevent success in the other, In fact that versatility increases their respect in the industry as a whole. I would argue that it's better for an actors reputation to do a critically acclaimed play than a terrible rom com that flops.

I would argue that it's better for an actors reputation to do a critically acclaimed play than a terrible rom com that flops.

True, then again a crappy rom com that does well in the box office may do better for an actor than a critically acclaimed play that flops, just saying.  Doesn't mean it's right or fair.

FYI, at last count Dianna Agron has at least 5 movies in the can and another 4 scheduled to start production.  I don't care how big the roles or how successful the movies turn out, that is one heck  of a work schedule for the woman.