Type keyword(s) to search

Bethenny & Jason: The Divorce Showdown

• Start Topic

(edited)
29 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

Jill doesn't lie or make self serving remarks anymore than Bethenny does, in fact, probably less than Bethenny in the last few years. On the other hand, Bethenny's tall tales continue to grow by leaps and bounds IMO.

Sorry, FN, we just don't get/understand Bethenny. She is the only HW allowed to play fast and loose with the truth and not get called out on it like the others are on a regular basis. As we all know, Bethenny never gave any interviews where she could correct the lie Bravo was selling us about her parents during her years on the HW show or her spin off shows. And she most certainly could not correct these stories when she had her own talk show or on her radio show. Poor Bethenny, she has never been given the opportunity to tell the truth.  LOL

I see it so differently. I don't think the rules are any different for her then for the rest of them. Or of anybody else. I just think she is under more scrutiny and that every word she utters is analyzed for an omission. If someone worked as hard you could find examples of all of them leaving something out about their story. You could about every single person on this planet. Often times, when people go through a tough childhood or experience in general, they focus on the terrible parts and not the OK parts because that was what was defining for them. That is just reality and it is human nature.  I am jealous of people who don't know this. When I hear about Beth's childhood my initial thought is that it is nothing compared to mine. But I had some good mixed in with mostly horrible. You won't hearing me speaking much of the good, because it is all blurred in the horrible stuff, which becomes the overall narrative of your life. It's not that you are lying, it's that the good stuff doesn't resonate, and because sometimes what might seem like good is steeped in drama, conflict, and all kinds of other shit. And yes, sometimes you leave stuff out. Stuff that people wouldn't understand because it doesn't make sense in the context of the actual story of your life. 

Edited by motorcitymom65
  • Love 9
Just now, Celia Rubenstein said:

Bethenny isn't called out for playing fast and lose with the truth? ??? ????  

But she did "correct the lie Bravo was selling us about her parents" in 2011 when she wrote her book, four years into being a Real Housewife.  

I feel like I am repeating myself here .... am I typing in invisible ink or something?  :P

Yes, some of us call her out on it but not everyone. There are more than a few that don't want to admit she plays fast and loose with the truth. LOL

Bethenny has had ample opportunity to correct any misunderstanding Bravo editing may have done about her parents/her childhood in any of the numerous interviews she has given but she has not done that. She has stuck to her initial story about her dad abandoning her and never being a part of her life. Yes, in her book, she corrected some of it but only those that bought the book would know it, so the majority of viewers would never know the truth. LOL She had her own talk show and her own radio show where she could have told the correct story, especially if Bravo/production edited her to make her childhood worse than it was but, once again, she didn't do it. She doesn't want to correct it, she wants everyone to believe a lie because it suits her ongoing narrative of being a victim.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

Jill doesn't lie or make self serving remarks anymore than Bethenny does, in fact, probably less than Bethenny in the last few years. On the other hand, Bethenny's tall tales continue to grow by leaps and bounds IMO.

Sorry, FN, we just don't get/understand Bethenny. She is the only HW allowed to play fast and loose with the truth and not get called out on it like the others are on a regular basis. As we all know, Bethenny never gave any interviews where she could correct the lie Bravo was selling us about her parents during her years on the HW show or her spin off shows. And she most certainly could not correct these stories when she had her own talk show or on her radio show. Poor Bethenny, she has never been given the opportunity to tell the truth.  LOL

As Celia Rubenstein pointed out upthread, she did correct "the lie" about her dad, which was really an omission and which could have easily been an omission of editing/production or time or just not feeling like talking about it at the moment, when she wrote her book.  I don't understand why that is not enough.  

Just out of curiosity, are some people thinking the reason her father refused to see her at the end of his life (until the last minute) was bcause he was so pissed or disgusted by the lies she told about him?  And that his refusal to see her is evidence that he was the wronged party in the relationship? (Just trying to understand these objections -- everyone's, not just yours, WW.)

As for Bernadette , I have read just a couple of things her mother said about Bethenny, and what I read really disgusted me -- who talks like that about their only child?  I think the mom is an absolute nutcase.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

I see it so differently. I don't think the rules are any different for her then for the rest of them. Or of anybody else. I just think she is under more scrutiny and that every word she utters is analyzed for an omission. If someone worked as hard you could find examples of all of them leaving something out about their story. You could about every single person on this planet. Often times, when people go through a tough childhood or experience in general, they focus on the terrible parts and not the OK parts because that was what was defining for them. That is just reality and it is human nature.  I am jealous of people who don't know this. When I hear about Beth's childhood my initial thought is that it is nothing compared to mine. But I had some good mixed in with mostly horrible. You won't hearing me speaking much of the good, because it is all blurred in the horrible stuff, which becomes the overall narrative of your life. It's not that you are lying, it's that the good stuff doesn't resonate, and because sometimes what might seem like good is steeped in drama, conflict, and all kinds of other shit. And yes, sometimes you leave stuff out. Stuff that people wouldn't understand because it doesn't make sense in the context of the story of your life. 

... and I would think the last thing a person would want to deal with is someone seizing upon one or two of the more pleasant details of their life and trying to use it to undercut the veracity of everything else they have had to say.   Suddenly turning it into "but she had a birthday party, she went to private school, her dad walked her down the aisle."  As if that somehow makes everything else she experienced imaginary or something.  

5 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

Bethenny has had ample opportunity to correct any misunderstanding Bravo editing may have done about her parents/her childhood in any of the numerous interviews she has given but she has not done that. She has stuck to her initial story about her dad abandoning her and never being a part of her life. Yes, in her book, she corrected some of it but only those that bought the book would know it, so the majority of viewers would never know the truth. LOL She had her own talk show and her own radio show where she could have told the correct story, especially if Bravo/production edited her to make her childhood worse than it was but, once again, she didn't do it. She doesn't want to correct it, she wants everyone to believe a lie because it suits her ongoing narrative of being a victim.

So the problem is no longer that her campaign to correct things didn't come soon enough?  Now it wasn't a vast enough effort?

I think if she had made a full-time job of it and blanketed the airwaves, she would just be criticized for obsessing about it.   She can't win. 

Yes, some of us call her out on it but not everyone. There are more than a few that don't want to admit she plays fast and loose with the truth. LOL

I think there are just some people here who view the matter differently than you do.

• Love 7
(edited)

She has stuck to her initial story about her dad abandoning her and never being a part of her life. Yes, in her book, she corrected some of it but only those that bought the book would know it, so the majority of viewers would never know the truth. LOL She had her own talk show and her own radio show where she could have told the correct story, especially if Bravo/production edited her to make her childhood worse than it was but, once again, she didn't do it. She doesn't want to correct it, she wants everyone to believe a lie because it suits her ongoing narrative of being a victim.

I'm being totally honest here. Knowing her father took her as a young child for a year only to dump her back on the alcoholic possibly mentally unstable mother is .... much worse than the original story that he was cold and left them and she never saw him as a kid.

A father who just walks away - a douchebag. A father who takes a young child for a year but... then dumps the kid back after that year and then detaches from her? Wow, what a bastard.

That Bethenny didn't want to get into how she was rejected by her father at such a young age might have been her doing him a kindness. Because that's a shit move.

Edited by ZoloftBlob
  • Love 11
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

... and I would think the last thing a person would want to deal with is someone seizing upon one or two of the more pleasant details of their life and trying to use it to undercut the veracity of everything else they have had to say.   Suddenly turning it into "but she had a birthday party, she went to private school, her dad walked her down the aisle."  As if that somehow makes everything else she experienced imaginary or something.  

Yes, the last thing indeed. But people will do it all day everyday and twice on Sunday. Until someone can provide some type of proof that Beth just made up the fact that she had an unpleasant, sad, and chaotic childhood, I will just believe she is pretty much telling her story the way that people in these situations tell their stories. 

ETA: It is always easier in these situations if the person who suffered the trauma is very likable. Likable people in general are believed more than people who are not. This is what it comes down to with Beth often times I believe.

Edited by motorcitymom65
  • Love 8
37 minutes ago, ZoloftBlob said:

Knowing her father took her as a young child for a year only to dump her back on the alcoholic possibly mentally unstable mother is .... much worse than the original story that he was cold and left them and she never saw him as a kid.

A father who just walks away - a douchebag. A father who takes a young child for a year but... then dumps the kid back after that year and then detaches from her? Wow, what a bastard.

That Bethenny didn't want to get into how she was rejected by her father at such a young age might have been her doing him a kindness. Because that's a shit move.

I never thought of it that way.  That's a very good point. And a very sad one, too.

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, Jel said:

As Celia Rubenstein pointed out upthread, she did correct "the lie" about her dad, which was really an omission and which could have easily been an omission of editing/production or time or just not feeling like talking about it at the moment, when she wrote her book.  I don't understand why that is not enough.  

Just out of curiosity, are some people thinking the reason her father refused to see her at the end of his life (until the last minute) was bcause he was so pissed or disgusted by the lies she told about him?  And that his refusal to see her is evidence that he was the wronged party in the relationship? (Just trying to understand these objections -- everyone's, not just yours, WW.)

As for Bernadette , I have read just a couple of things her mother said about Bethenny, and what I read really disgusted me -- who talks like that about their only child?  I think the mom is an absolute nutcase.

Yes, Those that knew her father have said that he didn't want to see her because of what she said about him on the show. It hurt him, he was there for her throughout her life even though that is not what she has said.

As for her mother, at first, Bernadette just said that Bethenny was lying about her childhood, she gave photos to prove Bethenny exaggerated/lied but that was it. Then Bethenny got uglier about her and Bernadette did the same back. Now they play this sick game, Bethenny says something about her mother and Bernadette fires something just as bad (or worse) back at Bethenny. I really believe that both mother and daughter have played this game their entire lives. 

26 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

So the problem is no longer that her campaign to correct things didn't come soon enough?  Now it wasn't a vast enough effort?

I think if she had made a full-time job of it and blanketed the airwaves, she would just be criticized for obsessing about it.   She can't win. 

I think there are just some people here who view the matter differently than you do.

I don't think anyone here believes that Bethenny is lying that she had a rough/bad childhood but for me, she has exaggerated it to the extreme to make herself a victim. The truth and Bethenny have never met IMO.

22 minutes ago, ZoloftBlob said:

I'm being totally honest here. Knowing her father took her as a young child for a year only to dump her back on the alcoholic possibly mentally unstable mother is .... much worse than the original story that he was cold and left them and she never saw him as a kid.

We don't know why he sent her back, maybe it was court ordered, that he had no choice, we just don't know. We do know that he at least tried and again, we don't know that he didn't keep trying and was blocked by Bernadette/step father, we just don't know. We do know that she lived with him as a teen so I don't think he cut off all communications with Bethenny or refused to allow her to visit him. Bethenny only tells the parts of the story that suit her purpose at that time, like not revealing he tried when she was a baby until she wrote her book and even then, she didn't mention living with him as a teen.  

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

Yes, Those that knew her father have said that he didn't want to see her because of what she said about him on the show. It hurt him, he was there for her throughout her life even though that is not what she has said.

I have looked but I can't find any story where someone says Bobby Frankel refused to see Bethenny because of what she said about him on the show.  All I can come up with is some story about some douchebag bachelor host dude saying he didn't like the way Bethenny talked about Bobby after his death.

I am wondering if there is any truth to this story or if it is just some kind of urban legend that has spread.  If anyone can let me know where it was actually reported that Bobby wouldn't see Bethenny because of what she said about him on the show, please point me toward it because I would really like to read it for myself. 

• Love 6

We don't know why he sent her back, maybe it was court ordered, that he had no choice, we just don't know.

Well, we do know he took a young child for a year and then dumped her back with her alcoholic possibly crazy mother.

I mean, we do know this happened, and Betheny is allowed no excuse for not mentioning that she did live with her father for a year as a child... but the second it's pointed out how ugly this behavior is, a father taking a child and then after a year sending the kid back without a backwards glance.... suddenly there's a custody issue and he was forced to give up the child and WE DON'T KNOW, he had no choice!

I mean, I'm sorry, but the second this went from "oh dear God, she lied about living with her dad" to "her dad rejected her after a year and dumped her back on her crazy mom at a very young age", funny how suddenly every excuse in the world comes into play in order to paint her dad as some decent fellow and NOT the guy who dumped his five year old daughter when she was cramping his style in LA.  I mean, what a fucking prince! And how dare Bethenny not smile and share how her daddy didn't love her enough to raise her - which is probably what a five year old Bethenny Frankel thought and it so explains a lot of her issues with men.

• Love 10
(edited)
21 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I have looked but I can't find any story where someone says Bobby Frankel refused to see Bethenny because of what she said about him on the show.  All I can come up with is some story about some douchebag bachelor host dude saying he didn't like the way Bethenny talked about Bobby after his death.

I am wondering if there is any truth to this story or if it is just some kind of urban legend that has spread.  If anyone can let me know where it was actually reported that Bobby wouldn't see Bethenny because of what she said about him on the show, please point me toward it because I would really like to read it for myself. 

There was a report about it not long after his funeral. Where it is now or how to find it, I have no idea.

12 minutes ago, ZoloftBlob said:

Well, we do know he took a young child for a year and then dumped her back with her alcoholic possibly crazy mother.

I mean, we do know this happened, and Betheny is allowed no excuse for not mentioning that she did live with her father for a year as a child... but the second it's pointed out how ugly this behavior is, a father taking a child and then after a year sending the kid back without a backwards glance.... suddenly there's a custody issue and he was forced to give up the child and WE DON'T KNOW, he had no choice!

I mean, I'm sorry, but the second this went from "oh dear God, she lied about living with her dad" to "her dad rejected her after a year and dumped her back on her crazy mom at a very young age", funny how suddenly every excuse in the world comes into play in order to paint her dad as some decent fellow and NOT the guy who dumped his five year old daughter when she was cramping his style in LA.  I mean, what a fucking prince! And how dare Bethenny not smile and share how her daddy didn't love her enough to raise her - which is probably what a five year old Bethenny Frankel thought and it so explains a lot of her issues with men.

But we don't know why he sent her back and if it was court ordered (remember it was rare for this to happen back then) he would have had no choice. No one is trying to paint her dad as anything, well except for Bethenny who paints him as all bad (some of the time). Now who was it that said he sent her back because she "cramped his style"? Bethenny! Has anyone confirmed her story? NO! Why is it that so many accept everything she says as the gospel truth? I don't understand this, I really don't, especially in light that we know she changes her stories to fit whatever narrative she is pushing at that moment and that she blames others for "making" her "go there" when she attacks them. 

Edited by WireWrap
  • Love 4

I am having a hard time believing a man with the resources and brains of Bobby Frankel wouldn't have been able to bury Bernadette the nutbag in court if it came to a custody fight.  It may have been the early 70's but if there is one guy who could have won custody of his kid despite the sexism of the time, it was Bobby.

I believe he sent her back because he wanted to.  And that had to hurt Bethenny, especially given what she went through for YEARS in Bernadette's house.  Small wonder she doesn't want to run around trying to clear his name by shouting from the rooftops about what may be the worst thing he ever did to her. 

• Love 6

Wirewrap - I'm just saying that everyone was complaining that Bethenny was wrong to not mention how she lived with her dad for a year when she was four.  Right? She lied?

When it's pointed out that it's entirely possible she was trying to not paint her father as a complete asshole who rejected a child after raising her for a year and then dumping her back to her mother - and lets be honest, "I never saw my dad growing up" isn't as nasty as "I lived with my dad for a year and then he got tired of me and sent me to live with my crazy mother" - then suddenly every excuse in the book is found to make this somehow not a really awful thing.

Remember - this was originally brought up because Bethenny, by allowing Bravo to omit it, or by not mentioning it was a terrible person for saying she never saw her father in her childhood but actually did live with him for a year. I can actually see where this - Daddy dumping her off on mom - was something she chose to not reveal because a) It really makes him look like an ass even if custody was an issue (and I don't believe it was because that's NEVER been brought up, that Bobby lost custody) because he was, as Celia said, wealthy enough and powerful enough to keep his kid from the crazy drunk ex if he wanted. And B) I can seriously see Bethenny blaming her five year old self for not being good enough for Daddy to love because quite honestly that's a huge part of her issues with men And this is where it starts - Daddy rejecting her and sending her to angry Mom who per stepdad, never wanted a child.

Does it make Bethenny a saint? Of course not. But it does change the narrative a bit on how awful she was to not mention the loving year that Daddy Bobby raised her and then kicked her to the curb.

• Love 9

Bethenny talking about how she never wanted to marry Jason.  What a contrast to her bullshit "Place of Yes" book.  Jason this, Jason that, Jasone letting me love again, Jason doing the heavy lifting in the chold care department.    http://www.realitytea.com/2015/06/16/bethenny-frankel-knew-marriage-to-jason-hoppy-would-end-in-divorce-blames-andy-cohen/

My issues with Bethenny and her parents-maybe she felt under loved and under appreciated as a child and adult until she hit it big-her parents didn't sign up for the public treatment they received.  Instead of learning from it she seems determined to make Bryn live through it with her parents.

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, ZoloftBlob said:

What were her public venues in 2005 that... really would have cared? 

She was one of two finalists on "The Apprentice"  and she did quite a bit of media after that  (but - to be clear - she was embracing the "I date sons of CEOs" narrative at that point).

Does that she lived with her dad for a year when she was four or five before he handed her back to her emotionally troubled mom really change the story so significantly that it changes everything?

Well, for me it does;  when you paint someone -- especially a friend or family member -- as even worse than they already are,  that duplicity makes me wonder why. 

It kinda makes it worse because her dad took her with him and then rejected her, or got bored or got tired of parenting, and dumped her back after a year.

According to Bethenny herself, Bernadette insisted she be returned b/c she was too thin. Not sure if Bobby Frankel had to give her back (Bernadette having primary custody, say -- but he didn't fight  in court, either - or not that I know of). I have no doubt being in that home was sad/lonely/bizarre for her - but why omit you were in the home to begin with? That's what bothers me.

And I get that it doesn't bother you at all -- and that's cool -- but that omission is what bothers me (not her feelings about him, or living with him, or that living with him made him some kind of great father, etc etc).  

And "correcting/fixing/etc" the omission almost four years down the line doesn't change the fact that you led people to believe your father took a flyer when you were four.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 5

She was one of two finalists on "The Apprentice"  and she did quite a bit of media after that  (but - to be clear - she was embracing the "I date sons of CEOs" narrative at that point).

So, not the winner, and not on the version of the show that lasted and still quite controlled since she wasn't famous and wasn't the winner.

Well, for me it does;  when you paint someone -- especially a friend or family member -- as even worse than they already are,  that duplicity makes me wonder why. 

If her intent was to paint him even worse than he was.... how does "I never saw him" make him look worse than "I lived with him for a year when I was four and then he dumped me onto my alcoholic mother and her husband who were both kinda violent, and Dad never checked in to see me"?

According to Bethenny herself, Bernadette insisted she be returned b/c she was too thin. Not sure if Bobby Frankel had to give her back (Bernadette having primary custody, say -- but he didn't fight  in court, either - or not that I know of). I have no doubt being in that home was sad/lonely/bizarre for her - but why omit you were in the home to begin with? That's what bothers me.

Because your father handing you off to your alcoholic mother and not seeing you again is painful? Particularly having to admit in public that your dad didn't love you enough to argue with your crazy mom for custody? If we believe Bethenny (and really you're asking me to believe bethenny here) her mom made up a silly reason - too thin - and her dad tossed her back without a backwards glance to see where she landed.

And "correcting" the omission almost four years down the line doesn't change the fact that you led people to believe your father took a flyer when you were four.

Yeah... so he took a flyer when she was five, not four, and that makes a hell of a difference. Also, he took a flyer when she was five, not four, and after he spent a year bonding with her. He then handed her over to someone who was abusive because... the drunk exwife said the kid looked too thin?

How was keeping that a secret and saying she just never saw her father painting Bobby Frankel as MORE of an asshole than the actual truth, that he rejected his child and never really looked back?

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, ZoloftBlob said:

Wirewrap - I'm just saying that everyone was complaining that Bethenny was wrong to not mention how she lived with her dad for a year when she was four.  Right? She lied?

When it's pointed out that it's entirely possible she was trying to not paint her father as a complete asshole who rejected a child after raising her for a year and then dumping her back to her mother - and lets be honest, "I never saw my dad growing up" isn't as nasty as "I lived with my dad for a year and then he got tired of me and sent me to live with my crazy mother" - then suddenly every excuse in the book is found to make this somehow not a really awful thing.

Remember - this was originally brought up because Bethenny, by allowing Bravo to omit it, or by not mentioning it was a terrible person for saying she never saw her father in her childhood but actually did live with him for a year. I can actually see where this - Daddy dumping her off on mom - was something she chose to not reveal because a) It really makes him look like an ass even if custody was an issue (and I don't believe it was because that's NEVER been brought up, that Bobby lost custody) because he was, as Celia said, wealthy enough and powerful enough to keep his kid from the crazy drunk ex if he wanted. And B) I can seriously see Bethenny blaming her five year old self for not being good enough for Daddy to love because quite honestly that's a huge part of her issues with men And this is where it starts - Daddy rejecting her and sending her to angry Mom who per stepdad, never wanted a child.

Does it make Bethenny a saint? Of course not. But it does change the narrative a bit on how awful she was to not mention the loving year that Daddy Bobby raised her and then kicked her to the curb.

I understand why you feel the way you do, I really do (I was once on your/Bethenny's side) but she has lied too many times for me and it makes me question why she feels the need to lie about this to begin with? Is it that, although her childhood wasn't what she wanted, it also wasn't as bad as she claims or is it that she has this need to be in the spotlight more than anything else and she knows this helps her achieve it. Again, only Bethenny claims he dumped her because she cramped his style and only Bethenny claims her mother was a raging alcoholic, no one has ever backed up her claims. She has used both her parents on this show but then gets mad when her mom speaks out, telling her truth/defending herself. Heck, she used her mother just this past reunion to deflect viewers from her own ugly behavior. Bethenny is a user, plain and simple, she uses people to get her from point a to point b then discards them as quickly as she can (and she does it in her private life as well as in her business life IMO).

• Love 5

Wirewrap - I have to be honest, this isn't about Bethenny's reputation to me. I think she's a fairly awful person.

It's about what's logical, to me.

If Bethenny's goal was to make her dad look bad, what looks worse? "I never saw him growing up, we didn't have much of a relationship" or "He took me from my mom when I was four, then he realized he couldn't raise a daughter and hang around the racetrack the way he wanted so he handed me back to my mom who is an alcoholic and violent and then he barely acknowledged me".

The first story - which is the first story she told, and the one people have the problem with because she's not telling the truth about living with her dad, is, sad to say, actually a bit common place in divorced families. This isn't an attention seeking story.

The second tale is heartbreaking.

If her intent was to make her dad look like a total bastard, why would she go with the first story, when the second story - that she did live with her dad as a four year old until he handed her back to her abusive mom and then ignored her, is so much more attention getting?

The logical answer, to me, is that she was protecting her father because deep down she's still the rejected little girl who cant quite believe her dad doesn't love her. The second story came out when she was more comfortable with  herself.

If her intent was merely to cause chaos  and hurt Bobby Frankel she wouldn't have bothered  trying to keep the awfulness a secret and pass off his actions with "I never saw him as a child".

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

In the excerpt from the book, Beth says that she was on the Today Show on Father's Day.  When the subject came up, Beth casually said she didn't have a father.  She goes on to say that she heard he was infuriated about it.  I would also think that her father probably got upset about some things she said about him on show. 

I think the whole thing about Beth living with her father for a year after the divorce is just another piece of the puzzle that makes you wonder.  We don't know why Beth went back to her mother.  And from what I've read in the excerpts, Beth is saying mother did try to keep Bobby out of Beth's life.  But in the end, there's three sides to the story.  Four if you include her stepfather.  We really only have Beth's interpretation of events.

I also don't think Bravo manipulated editing to the extent of keeping things out that Beth wanted to say regarding her father and mother.   I think Beth had a very controlled narrative concerning her life and childhood.  And once she had BGM and BEA, she was a an executive producer.  She was in the driver's seat IMO.  Hey, going to the therapist every week....

• Love 6

Here is my thinking on this...  It is Bethenny's story to tell. She might have been in a place back in the first go-around on RHONY where she just didn't want to get into it. It was easier for her to say "I don't have parents" than to get into all the sordid details. Later on, she might have gotten to a place emotionally where she felt like she could discuss and share a bit more. Plus, a book is bit more of a safe space and cathartic to write. So, she shared more details as she came to a place where she felt comfortable doing so. That's her right. She doesn't owe us every single little detail of her entire life from the very beginning. I wouldn't unload every single sob story of my life in the first five minutes that I have met someone because then you are thinking that I'm a mess. Hell, how much criticism was Tins getting for sharing her arrest with people from the minute she met them? 

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, diadochokinesis said:

Here is my thinking on this...  It is Bethenny's story to tell. She might have been in a place back in the first go-around on RHONY where she just didn't want to get into it. It was easier for her to say "I don't have parents" than to get into all the sordid details. Later on, she might have gotten to a place emotionally where she felt like she could discuss and share a bit more. Plus, a book is bit more of a safe space and cathartic to write. So, she shared more details as she came to a place where she felt comfortable doing so. That's her right. She doesn't owe us every single little detail of her entire life from the very beginning. I wouldn't unload every single sob story of my life in the first five minutes that I have met someone because then you are thinking that I'm a mess. Hell, how much criticism was Tins getting for sharing her arrest with people from the minute she met them? 

She had no problem saying that she was raised by wolves in RHNY season 2:

http://www.bravotv.com/the-real-housewives-of-new-york-city/season-2/blogs/bethenny-frankel/raised-by-wolves

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, breezy424 said:

She had no problem saying that she was raised by wolves in RHNY season 2:

http://www.bravotv.com/the-real-housewives-of-new-york-city/season-2/blogs/bethenny-frankel/raised-by-wolves

And maybe that was where she was at that point in time. People (hopefully) grow throughout their lives and that might have been where she was at with the whole situation. Plus, from what I've read, I wouldn't say wolves is too far off in terms of an accurate depiction of her parents. 

• Love 8
45 minutes ago, ZoloftBlob said:

Wirewrap - I have to be honest, this isn't about Bethenny's reputation to me. I think she's a fairly awful person.

It's about what's logical, to me.

If Bethenny's goal was to make her dad look bad, what looks worse? "I never saw him growing up, we didn't have much of a relationship" or "He took me from my mom when I was four, then he realized he couldn't raise a daughter and hang around the racetrack the way he wanted so he handed me back to my mom who is an alcoholic and violent and then he barely acknowledged me".

The first story - which is the first story she told, and the one people have the problem with because she's not telling the truth about living with her dad, is, sad to say, actually a bit common place in divorced families. This isn't an attention seeking story.

The second tale is heartbreaking.

If her intent was to make her dad look like a total bastard, why would she go with the first story, when the second story - that she did live with her dad as a four year old until he handed her back to her abusive mom and then ignored her, is so much more attention getting?

The logical answer, to me, is that she was protecting her father because deep down she's still the rejected little girl who cant quite believe her dad doesn't love her. The second story came out when she was more comfortable with  herself.

If her intent was merely to cause chaos  and hurt Bobby Frankel she wouldn't have bothered  trying to keep the awfulness a secret and pass off his actions with "I never saw him as a child".

See, for me, her own behaviors are what cause me to question these stories. I don't get the sense she was trying to protect her dad with the first story, IMO, it was enough then for her to get the sympathy/support she craves and gave her an excuse for her awful behavior, the second story came after she needed to remind viewers that she is a victim and should be forgiven. Again, all we are hearing is 1 side of this, her dad never spoke out, some of his closest friends made not so nice comments about Bethenny but he never did. Her mother took it for a while then a blogger contacted her and she told just a bit of her side, which in turn, made Bethenny go nuts. Bethenny pulls out her poor me childhood stories when she knows she crossed the line on the show, go back and re-watch when she talks about them. 

4 minutes ago, diadochokinesis said:

Bethenny talks about her bad childhood when she is filmed doing/saying something cruel to/about someone else. It is her way to get out of responsibility for her own nasty behaviors IMO. 

• Love 3
Just now, WireWrap said:

See, for me, her own behaviors are what cause me to question these stories. I don't get the sense she was trying to protect her dad with the first story, IMO, it was enough then for her to get the sympathy/support she craves and gave her an excuse for her awful behavior, the second story came after she needed to remind viewers that she is a victim and should be forgiven. Again, all we are hearing is 1 side of this, her dad never spoke out, some of his closest friends made not so nice comments about Bethenny but he never did. Her mother took it for a while then a blogger contacted her and she told just a bit of her side, which in turn, made Bethenny go nuts. Bethenny pulls out her poor me childhood stories when she knows she crossed the line on the show, go back and re-watch when she talks about them. 

Bethenny talks about her bad childhood when she is filmed doing/saying something cruel to/about someone else. It is her way to get out of responsibility for her own nasty behaviors IMO. 

But you are missing my point. You can't look at all the seasons and lump them together. You have to look at them as a continuum. Where she was in Season 1 is not where she is now.  She has evolved in how she handles things, what she discusses, etc. She didn't discuss her parents in Season 1.  Now people know and she has provided more details about that relationship. However, she also doesn't owe the viewers every single sordid detail of her childhood. 

• Love 9

It is her way to get out of responsibility for her own nasty behaviors IMO. 

And her nasty behaviors at age four and five were? I mean, she's talking about her bad childhood and she needs to take responsibility for her nasty behaviors so....

I don't get the sense she was trying to protect her dad with the first story, IMO, it was enough then for her to get the sympathy/support she craves and gave her an excuse for her awful behavior, the second story came after she needed to remind viewers that she is a victim and should be forgiven.

But you aren't claiming you know this as an absolute fact, correct? People are allowed to disagree since you can't possibly know what Bethenny's thoughts are, right?

Personally I think the first story? She didn't want to get into her childhood stuff on camera. The only reason this is an issue is because the fact that she didn't raise the topic of the one year when she was four that she lived with her dad is somehow Bethenny lying about how her dad was super awesome to her. And when it's pointed out that this second story hardly paints Bobby Frankel as a saint - he gave his five year old back to a drunk and walked away from parenting, is still somehow Bethenny being the one at fault.

• Love 9
(edited)
2 hours ago, ZoloftBlob said:

So, not the winner, and not on the version of the show that lasted and still quite controlled since she wasn't famous and wasn't the winner.

If anything, I think as runner up she would have had more leeway to speak up, with no need represent the Martha brand. (But again, at that point, the narrative was she came from a life of dating sons of CEOs and living with the daughters of CEOs in Paris - part of what I found interesting about her was that mix of lux life and Brooklyn). 

And I don't agree it makes Bobby Frankel look worse to try and fail (even miserably) -- I think deadbeat dads are always, always, always worse than those who try and screw up.

Because your father handing you off to your alcoholic mother and not seeing you again is painful? Particularly having to admit in public that your dad didn't love you enough to argue with your crazy mom for custody? If we believe Bethenny (and really you're asking me to believe bethenny here) her mom made up a silly reason - too thin - and her dad tossed her back without a backwards glance to see where she landed.

I don't know if it was a "silly" reason - it might have been a neurotic one (due to Bernadette's eating disorder) or it could have been true (Bethenny has talked about developing her palate at the racetrack as a girl and wanting to pass that on to Bryn -- but if that's what she was mostly eating, she might have actually been too thin). And I don't know why he returned her to Bernadette, but he did give a backwards glance; he sent a plane ticket for Bethenny to visit him in California  (not first class but coach, and Bernadette wouldn't let Bethenny fly coach with the sniffles -- per Bethenny) and Frankel lived with him as a teen, and possibly paid for some fo her education -- none of which means he was a great father, or consistent, or loving or anywhere near what every child deserves -- but it does mean he was in her life to some degree, which is not what  "My father left my life when I was four" conveys. And that kind of truthiness sets my inner bell to ringing (because "Fool me once, shame on — shame on you! You fool me — you can't get fooled again!" : )

I think the whole thing about Beth living with her father for a year after the divorce is just another piece of the puzzle that makes you wonder.  

Yes - and then the puzzle pieces  (for me) were like Magic Eye; once I saw it, I was amazed it took me so long to see the pattern (I defended that woman throughout the god damn 'fish with fins' debacle - the Lavender story of 2015! -- that's how late I am to the party  ; )

Edited by film noire
  • Love 6
14 minutes ago, diadochokinesis said:

But you are missing my point. You can't look at all the seasons and lump them together. You have to look at them as a continuum. Where she was in Season 1 is not where she is now.  She has evolved in how she handles things, what she discusses, etc. She didn't discuss her parents in Season 1.  Now people know and she has provided more details about that relationship. However, she also doesn't owe the viewers every single sordid detail of her childhood. 

I understood your point, honestly. What I am saying is that as the years have passed (on these HW/Bravo shows) she only seems to pull out her poor childhood when she wants to be forgiven for her own bad/nasty behaviors. And I don't think/feel she has evolved, IMO, she has gotten smarter about when to pull out the  parent sympathy card. Oh, and she really didn't need to use the sympathy card her first season, that happened as she got more comfortable in allowing us to see the real Bethenny.

4 minutes ago, ZoloftBlob said:

And her nasty behaviors at age four and five were? I mean, she's talking about her bad childhood and she needs to take responsibility for her nasty behaviors so....

But you aren't claiming you know this as an absolute fact, correct? People are allowed to disagree since you can't possibly know what Bethenny's thoughts are, right?

Personally I think the first story? She didn't want to get into her childhood stuff on camera. The only reason this is an issue is because the fact that she didn't raise the topic of the one year when she was four that she lived with her dad is somehow Bethenny lying about how her dad was super awesome to her. And when it's pointed out that this second story hardly paints Bobby Frankel as a saint - he gave his five year old back to a drunk and walked away from parenting, is still somehow Bethenny being the one at fault.

No, what I am saying is that I think Bethenny is not telling the truth, the whole truth about her childhood, I think she is exaggerating how bad it was for viewer sympathy. 

Where did I claim it was fact? Others here have claimed what she says is fact and I am saying I doubt her, that I think she is either exaggerating or flat out lying. Do you or anyone else here know for a fact that Bethenny's mom was a drunk? No, everything "we" know comes from Bethenny, only Bethenny and I don't find her trustworthy at all. And, I didn't say that he dad was a "saint", nor did I imply it, what I did was point out other possibilities of why he sent Bethenny back to her mom. And again, we only have Bethenny's word on any of this and she exaggerates so much and so often that it is hard to trust her about anything, IMO.

You believe her and that is fine, it is the right thing for you, I don't and that is fine for me. It doesn't make either of us wrong, the truth most likely falls in the middle. LOL

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, film noire said:

If anything, I think as runner up she would have had more leeway to speak up, with no need represent the Martha brand. (But again, at that point, the narrative was she came from a life of dating sons of CEOs and living with the daughters of CEOs in Paris - part of what I found interesting about her was that mix of lux life and Brooklyn). 

Wait a minute.  Now I admit I never watched Beth on The Apprentice.  So I have to ask ... did she even said a single thing about her father at all when she was on that show?  Because I've never heard she did that.

I don't see how the hell she can be faulted for not straightening out this massive lie she told the world about him before she ever told it. 

• Love 8
8 hours ago, WireWrap said:

I had so hoped that having her own daughter would make her realize that parents make mistakes, even big ones, but that you learn to move past them, to forgive them, if only so that you are able to be a better parent yourself but so far, she is still stuck in hate/blame/anger.

Maybe having Brynn did the complete opposite.  Maybe she sees how vulnerable and helpless Brynn is and wonders how her parents could neglect a little girl.  She sees Jason busting his ass trying to stay in his daughter's life which reinforces how little her father tried.   She spends a lot of time with Brynn because she wants to, needs to.  It's possible that her own overwhelming feelings for Brynn make it even more difficult to understand her parents' behavior.  I know that's how my mind would work. 

• Love 11
28 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

No, what I am saying is that I think Bethenny is not telling the truth, the whole truth about her childhood <snip>

Lol. Like in a court of law?  When they sign their contracts, do they take a solemn oath to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?

(I hope it's clear that I'm teasing ;-)

• Love 4
1 hour ago, diadochokinesis said:

And maybe that was where she was at that point in time. People (hopefully) grow throughout their lives and that might have been where she was at with the whole situation. Plus, from what I've read, I wouldn't say wolves is too far off in terms of an accurate depiction of her parents. 

But what you've read is Beth's interpretation and seeing her endless exaggerations, I wouldn't say this was totally 'accurate'.  And this was from a woman in her thirties.  IMO, Beth is never going to let go.  That is who she is and I don't think she is ever going to be happy.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, ZoloftBlob said:

Pretty sure WireWrap meant Bethenny's behavior not as a four or five year old, but as an adult (the emotional manipulations, the obscene verbal attacks, the slut shaming, etc etc.)

46 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I don't see how the hell she can be faulted for not straightening out this massive lie she told the world about him before she ever told it. 

I don't think I said Bethenny needed to fix something before it actually happened (even I don't require her to break the time space continuum :)  The main reason I mentioned "The Apprentice" was to show Frankel's public presence was longer than the timeline you gave, and that she was already "reality tv editing" savvy by the time she did Housewives. And her narrative on TA was having dated the son of Martha's judge /celebrity chef/pulling off million dollar events for Disney, not "I had it hard", so I'm pretty sure Bobby Frankel/Bernadette are never mentioned (but don't quote me on that, I could be wrong -- but if she did mention them, it was praise or neutral, b/c I would have remembered her trashing her parents).

Edited by film noire
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, diadochokinesis said:

Am I the only one who sees the self-deprecation in the wolves comment?  After all, when someone is said to be raised by wolves, it's an insult on their manners and behavior.  Just me?

• Love 6
5 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Am I the only one who sees the self-deprecation in the wolves comment?  After all, when someone is said to be raised by wolves, it's an insult on their manners and behavior.  Just me?

It is an insult to wolves as they are kick out awesome.

As far as B, I were told by people who knew her on Long Island as a child, that she was exactly the same.

• Love 2

Maybe having Brynn did the complete opposite.  Maybe she sees how vulnerable and helpless Brynn is and wonders how her parents could neglect a little girl.  She sees Jason busting his ass trying to stay in his daughter's life which reinforces how little her father tried.   She spends a lot of time with Brynn because she wants to, needs to.  It's possible that her own overwhelming feelings for Brynn make it even more difficult to understand her parents' behavior.  I know that's how my mind would work. 

Then she isn't sincere when she says she is going to introduce Bryn to her mom or her ex step father, it is pure audience manipulation and nothing more.

Lol. Like in a court of law?  When they sign their contracts, do they take a solemn oath to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?

(I hope it's clear that I'm teasing ;-)

OOPS! It does read that way! LOL 

15 minutes ago, LIMOM said:

It is an insult to wolves as they are kick out awesome.

As far as B, I were told by people who knew her on Long Island as a child, that she was exactly the same.

Spill more details PLEASE! 

• Love 5
Just now, WireWrap said:

Then she isn't sincere when she says she is going to introduce Bryn to her mom or her ex step father, it is pure audience manipulation and nothing more.

OOPS! It does read that way! LOL 

Spill more details PLEASE! 

No fucking ways. I am friend with the girl.

• Love 3

That's always a possibility.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, WireWrap said:

Ah, well I have not seen or heard anything about that. I really only remember Bethenny saying a few things about her dad, like his secretary would send her a cheque for her birthdays, etc. and that he didn't seem all that interested in her or having a relationship with her. It doesn't matter if he told his friends how much he loved his daughter, with kids, it's all about "actions speak louder than words".  If he wasn't there for her, she'd have noticed that and eventually ended up rather cynical and jaded, where she seems to be now.

I think it's important to remember that while we look at her today, saying this as a tough, ballsy broad, when she talks about her father, at least part of her is speaking as a powerless, sad, confused child who feels unloved, abandoned and rejected.  When she was five or seven or nine, she was completely dependent on the adults in her life.   The fact that people talk about what a great guy Bobby Frankel was, and how much they loved him (like the guy from The Bachelor who feels entitled to comment publicly on it for some reason) must, at some level, make her feel like crap.  

Here's a link with a few comments from Bernadette, speaking about her one and only child and grandchild:

http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/bethenny-frankel-mother-health-crisis-93301

My takeaway is that there was no unconditional love for Bethenny;  it seems from both her parents, love was very much conditional.  If someone were to write a handbook on how to mess up a kid, Conditional Love Only! would be the first chapter.

Bernadette clearly has her own issues, and Bethenny I hope will, through therapy, etc., be able to come to terms with the fact that despite her traumatic childhood, her damaged mother did the best she could with what she had, so she can forgive her and move on, if only for Bethenny and Bryn's sake.  I just don't see a lot of hope for Bernadette in that regard given the way she talks about her child.

• Love 11
(edited)

Bernadette is entitled to make a buck as well.

not right, not nice but it seems like everyone does it. So there.

serious health crisis???

the fuck, she had fibroids. 

Edited by LIMOM
  • Love 6
(edited)

Here's a link with a few comments from Bernadette, speaking about her one and only child and grandchild:

Dang, calling Bernadette a wolf seems like an understatement.

Edited by BBHN
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Jill Zarin, lol.  

If a tree falls in the woods and Jill Zarin is not there to hear it, does it really make a sound? LOL I'm sure she thinks it doesn't.

Seriously, just because Jill Zarin didn't hear someone say something doesn't mean they didn't say it.

I think the idea of it being cowardly to blame editing has more to do with how some people refuse to own the things they were shown doing or saying, the idea being that Bravo can't put words in a person's mouth.  

I never took it to mean that a housewife was not entitled to be bothered that Bravo left certain things they said out, especially when it was designed to cast them in an unfair negative light.  

She may not have been a total naif, but I think you are overestimating Bethenny's clout in terms of directing her own coverage early on.  I would not describe her as "in charge" of her media image as far back as you believe she was.  She was just some random reality competition show contestant, not a superstar who can dictate the terms of an interview or demand editorial control. 

I think that Bethenny today has the experience and ability to control her image, but back to the time you are referring to - not so much.  

So, the sex-obsessed, bitter, shrieking harpy persona is on purpose?

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, LIMOM said:

Bernadette is entitled to make a buck as well.

not right, not nice but it seems like everyone does it. So there.

serious health crisis???

the fuck, she had fibroids. 

She may be, but that buck she earns does double duty -- it also shows us the kind of person she is.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, Jel said:

She may be, but that buck she earns does double duty -- it also shows us the kind of person she is.

Agreed 100 percent

the apple does not fall far from the tree.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Jel said:

Ah, well I have not seen or heard anything about that. I really only remember Bethenny saying a few things about her dad, like his secretary would send her a cheque for her birthdays, etc. and that he didn't seem all that interested in her or having a relationship with her. It doesn't matter if he told his friends how much he loved his daughter, with kids, it's all about "actions speak louder than words".  If he wasn't there for her, she'd have noticed that and eventually ended up rather cynical and jaded, where she seems to be now.

I think it's important to remember that while we look at her today, saying this as a tough, ballsy broad, when she talks about her father, at least part of her is speaking as a powerless, sad, confused child who feels unloved, abandoned and rejected.  When she was five or seven or nine, she was completely dependent on the adults in her life.   The fact that people talk about what a great guy Bobby Frankel was, and how much they loved him (like the guy from The Bachelor who feels entitled to comment publicly on it for some reason) must, at some level, make her feel like crap.  

http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/bethenny-frankel-mother-health-crisis-93301

My takeaway is that there was no unconditional love for Bethenny;  it seems from both her parents, love was very much conditional.  If someone were to write a handbook on how to mess up a kid, Conditional Love Only! would be the first chapter.

Bernadette clearly has her own issues, and Bethenny I hope will, through therapy, etc., be able to come to terms with the fact that despite her traumatic childhood, her damaged mother did the best she could with what she had, so she can forgive her and move on, if only for Bethenny and Bryn's sake.  I just don't see a lot of hope for Bernadette in that regard given the way she talks about her child.

Was her childhood really bad, it's possible but it is just as possible that she has made it sound worse than what it really was. Bethenny is the great exaggerator and it is hard to take what she says/claims at face value because of that. Bottom line for me is that I just don't believe her when it comes to her tales about her childhood. I think she has embellished it for the sympathy it get her. 

• Love 6

Okay, so it's less "raised by wolves" more "The boy who cried wolf"? 

I think I get your objections and understand where you are coming from. 

Just throwing this out there, but would 911 calls where a seven year old Bethenny is calling the police because she's afraid her step father is going to kill her mother be enough?  (not saying they exist, just curious if that would rise to the level of proof required to establish she had a really bad childhood).

• Love 7
(edited)

Meanwhile, Beth is enjoying the holiday in probably a spectacular fashion. Enjoying friends, food and probably her fabulous Hampton's House. She is wealthy, I think attractive, seems to be able to attract all the male attention she could want, and she has more success with her business and reality tv ventures than most people could even fathom. And yes there are sad times with the stuff with Jason. And yet she is still a narcissist. How much must she dig the fact that people are literally dragging up things that happened to her when she was 4 or 5 years old, while she enjoys the sun and sips an adult libation. Analyzing every word she has uttered. Every. Single. Word. Pouring through pages of books that she wrote long ago, which might surprise her because with all of the stuff that she has done, she probably doesn't even think much about one book. Yet people are interested enough in what happened to her 40 years ago to dig deep. Really, really deep. Looking for something to prove something. And she doesn't care. Doesn't care if you think she is a liar or not. She is just probably glad that folks are interested enough to keep the talk going. 

Oh, how I bet the rest of them wish that folks were interested enough in them to dig so deep to find that one nugget of something that doesn't look quite right to create so much interest. Beth really is the winner in this whole game. 

Edited by motorcitymom65
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, WireWrap said:

I don't think she said she was going to do that for sure.  She said she was thinking about it. Considering if it was something that might make sense at some point. Maybe she thought better or it. Maybe it was an emotional thought because she would like Brynn to have some additional family. People often do this. They consider things, weigh the risks and benefits, and then make a decision. 

• Love 8