Type keyword(s) to search

Witch Way Now: Charmed in the Media and the Cast in Other Roles

Lisin

I find it odd they would shoot in Belgrade when Canada is often the "go to" country for any big nondescript US city.

Speaking of former cast members in other roles, I am certain I saw Cupid #1 (from "Heartbreak City") in a Bayer aspirin commercial!  He was going to his car when he received a note that his heart attack would begin that night.

Yay!  First time posting here!

• Love 1

That was indeed a very classy thing to do. Good on her! It's always amazing to me when a guest star from a popular show ends up achieving major stardom. Sometimes it's the people who don't particularly stand out in any way on the small screen that are able to be successful in film. The mediums definitely require different skills.

• Love 1

I don't think Rose should have responded. She's clearly hypersensitive about her looks and she always comes across as being immature and quite stupid when she responds to criticism online. She DID look quite a bit like MJ in that picture, but it was mostly because of the sunglasses, and she should have just rolled with it and had a little fun. She actually looks a lot better these days than she did a few years ago. It's a shame that the car accident led to so many surgeries. The biggest disappointment is that she messed with her skin. She was always good about taking care of it and staying out of the sun. It was her best feature.

It is fun rewatching these episodes and seeing which demon/innocent of the week has gone on to be much more famous.  Rainn Wilson (The Office's Dwight Schrute) played Kierkan, the alchemist.

• Love 1

has anyone else heard about Holly and Shannen's reality show? it will be on Great American Country early 2015, and it's called Off the Map with Shannen and Holly. they are driving an RV through the southeast and participating in local events. you can even go to the GAC website and vote on what they will do. they've already taken part in a tomato fight in Kentucky and I think they're in Tennessee now. they'll be coming through Alabama, which is where I live. I would love it so much if they came close to my town and I could see them!!

I had not heard!  Definitely cements their long time friendship;  not everyone would RV it with friends. 

I hadn't seen any mention of it here yet - but Eric Dane (who played Phoebe's Season 6 love, Jason Dean), is starring in the TNT series, The Last Ship.    I've only seen 2 eps of it;  the show is fair on the writing/plotting but Dane actually does very well in his role as Captain.  He looks a bit older and grizzled than his Charmed appearances.

I watched some Charmed stuff on YouTube and one was the panel from some convention in Perth, Australia. It was Holly, Shannen and Brian. I really hate the stupid questions the audience comes up with. "What was your favorite spell? What was your favorite costume? What was your favorite episode?" Blah, blah. I want to know some behind the scenes stuff. They didn't really mention Alyssa and not Rose or Kaley at all. Although, it was funny that both Holly and Shannen were giving Brian shit for "taking home one of his co-stars". He was looking uncomfortable. LOL And of course, Shannen completely danced around the issue of why she left the show. Holly mentions that Amy Adams was in an episode and is now doing pretty well for herself. Haha.

Some bts stuff:

*Shannen took home a lot of Prue's wardrobe. Holly took home her Coyote Piper pants and some swords.

*The Coyote Piper was choreographed to a Bush song, but was replaced in the show, so her dancing doesn't quite fit.

*Alyssa was the best at doing the scrying stuff.

They're fun to watch.

• Love 1

They are re-releasing the series on dvd:

•3 Audio Commentaries (with participation by Brad Kern, Kaley Cuoco, James Conway, Brian Krause and Cameron Litvack)
•"The Making of Charmed" Featurette
•"The Story of Charmed: Genesis" and "The Story of Charmed: Charmed Again" Featurettes
•"To the Manor Born" Featurette
•"Forever Charmed" Featurette
•Easter Eggs

Taken from: http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Charmed-The-Complete-Series/20205#ixzz3BOn46ndH

• Love 1

That would be Obscurus Lupa.  She did all 8 seasons, and is still doing reviews, etc. although she has since changed the name of her series to "Movie Nights".  The first season of Charmed reviews (she went in order by season) is here.

She's also done reviews of various films, Baywatch (and Baywatch Nights), and a few other treasures.  She even had the now adult Mara Wilson in a guest appearance.

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 1

Good for Rose for speaking up, but seriously fuck that agency for dropping her. Hollywood has been called out enough on its sexism that it's time to stop pretending it doesn't exist by marginalizing actresses who dare to challenge it.

The Hollywood Reporter did an awesome roundtable with Tracee Ellis Ross, Lena Dunham, Gina Rodriguez, Amy Schumer, Ellie Kemper, and Kate McKinnon a few weeks ago where they talked about the same kind of thing. Actresses are not putting up with this bullshit anymore and it's time for the more corporate side of show business to take notice and adjust accordingly.

Looks like Julian McMahon will be back on TV screens:  This time it's "Hunters" on SyFy

Written by Natalie Chaidez (Heroes) based on Whitley Strieber’s best-selling novel Alien Hunter, the series chronicles the disappearance of a decorated Philadelphia cop’s (Nathan Phillips) wife, which leads him to a secret government unit assembled to hunt a group of ruthless terrorists — shadowy figures that may or may not be from this world.  [He will play McCarthy, an unhinged junkie and Hunter cell leader with a predilection for house music and violence.

McMahon also stars in Syfy’s upcoming miniseries Childhood’s End, which premieres in December.

I saw a mention that he will be at Comic Con next month to chat about Childhood's End.

Ha:

http://www.slashfilm.com/graph-the-most-surprising-and-disappointing-tv-series-finales/

Apparently, Charmed's series finale pleased more dedicated Charmed-watching IMDb poll-taking participants than the series finales of other TV shows pleased similarly-dedicated IMDb poll-taking devotees, when compared to those IMDb poll-taking devotees' typical ratings for regular-season episodes.  (If it sounds complicated, it is, but these websites need to generate advertiser-pleasing pageviews somehow, right?)  So, you know:  A win for Charmed!

Pity Glee beat it.

Makes perfect sense to me. The shows at the top of the list had justifiably lost a lot of viewers before their series finales. But, I guess it does show that Charmed still had (and seemingly has) a lot of good will with viewers based on the earlier seasons.

• Love 1

Also, despite the fact that S8 was utter horseshit for the most part, I thought the finale did a really good job of wrapping everything up by focusing on one of the best elements of the series: the inclusion of past and future generations of the central family. Also, Christy bit the big one, so...

Sorry to hear about Shannen. As if having breast cancer isn't difficult enough, she has to put up with all this legal BS as well. Hoping she makes a full recovery and that the guy responsible for allowing her health insurance to lapse just settles with her.

The shows at the top of the list had justifiably lost a lot of viewers before their series finales. But, I guess it does show that Charmed still had (and seemingly has) a lot of good will with viewers based on the earlier seasons.

It did,  but I still maintain the finale did so well because many longtime viewers like myself were hoping Prue would have made a post mortum visit.  She didn't but it was still fun to see Big Chris and Wyatt again. 

Damn, TPTB really screwed up not spinning them off.

Rose McGowan has a problem with the X-Men Apocalypse movie billboard:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/outrage-over-apocalypse-billboard-shows-hollywoods-disdain-for-men/article/2593052

Internet outrage warriors found a new obsession over the weekend when once-famous actress Rose McGowan noticed a billboard depicting — gasp — a scene from the new movie "X-Men: Apocalypse."

The scene chosen for the billboard showed Apocalypse (played by Oscar Isaac) choking Mystique (played by Jennifer Lawrence). Because the scene showed a man harming a woman, outrage ensued.

We could all place pretty large bets on the idea that McGowan would not be upset if the billboard depicted a different scene in the movie — one where Apocalypse beats Dr. Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) to a bloody pulp.

"There is a major problem when the men and women at 20th Century Fox think casual violence against women is the way to market a film. There is no context in the ad, just a woman getting strangled," McGowan told the Hollywood Reporter. "The fact that no one flagged this is offensive and frankly, stupid. The geniuses behind this, and I use that term lightly, need to to take a long hard look at the mirror and see how they are contributing to society."

(edited)

Marisol Nichols, who played Bianca (Chris' finance in "Chris Crossed" ) will be part of the new cast of the CW's "Riverdale" - the darker take on the gang from Archie Comics.  She'll play Veronica Lodge's mother, Hermione.

ETA:  It seems Obscurus Lupa's Charmed reviews were moved from the original link.  They're here now.

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 1

So, this Charmed reboot of sorts is apparently now a thing.

I got excited for a split second until I read it and realized that they're: a) Calling it a prequel of sorts (taking place in 1976); and b) doesn't seem to have any clear connection to the Halliwell family, besides one witch's name being Paige as well.

Seeing as it is from the EP of Jane the Virgin, a surprisingly well written show, I can easily give it a chance. But honestly, it doesn't sound much like a reboot or prequel to this show, and unless Patty or Penny make some sort of appearances, I'm going to allow myself to believe that it takes place in a totally separate universe. Sadly, any Charmed reboot is not a reboot without the Halliwell line. Also, I really wanted the reboot to be a Next Generation show, not a prequel with little to no connections to the actual show.

Also, kind of cliche characters, but also with the potential to show more substance. 

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, AzureOwl said:

Even now, off in the distance among the ruins of ancient TWoP, a scream righteous anger and fury can be heard cursing impotently at the heavens.

LoL When I read the news, my first thought was, I hope Demian hasn't seen that.

It doesn't really sound like a reboot. Just a different show with Charmed stuck on as the title.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, greendog78 said:

LoL When I read the news, my first thought was, I hope Demian hasn't seen that.

It doesn't really sound like a reboot. Just a different show with Charmed stuck on as the title.

that's what i thought. like okay i can dig it... 
Wait. 
What's charmed about it? 

• Love 3

Yeah, this really just seems like a show about three witches. That's the only resemblance to the original that it seems to have (one of the witches being named Paige doesn't even begin to count).

When I first saw that the reboot/prequel/whatever we're calling this would take place in 1976, I thought it might be a more Penny-centric show, about her protecting the girls from demons, struggling to raise them, ultimately deciding to bind their powers until they're ready for them, etc.

I guess this might just be a show that exists within the Charmed universe? I don't know, there are a lot of other interesting reboots/spin-offs/prequels they could have done. I would have watched the hell out of a show about Melinda Warren evading persecution until finally being burned at the stake (or was she hung? I forget). Or even a Penny/Patty-centric show, watching the two of them kick ass together and navigate the mother-daughter relationship. The most obvious reboot would have been a next-gen one. They have nine (nine!) characters to work with. That show practically writes itself.

• Love 3

I heard about this. Honesty, I feel like none of the main characters will be likeable. I grew up on Charmed (and still rewatch episodes). I don't see how this show would be very good. They could have had a show take place in the same universe that seems fine, but instead of having it being about 3 random witches, why not mix up the characters a bit.  And besides Charmed wasn't about three witches, it was about three sisters who happened to be witches. The fact that their relationships are already established and involve over the show is what made it so good (minus Paige of course who was new).

Edited by blueray
  • Love 1
On January 9, 2017 at 8:43 AM, Writing Wrongs said:

For good or bad, there will never be another Charmed.

True!  So far not impressed by what little is provided.   I think it would have been better to have had a sequel series with Wyatt and Chris .  However I also like the idea of a prequel .  I used to think a series based on the Charmed cousins (Who lived in the Manor in the 1920s) could have worked as well.

• Love 3
On 1/27/2017 at 2:38 PM, magicdog said:

True!  So far not impressed by what little is provided.   I think it would have been better to have had a sequel series with Wyatt and Chris .  However I also like the idea of a prequel .  I used to think a series based on the Charmed cousins (Who lived in the Manor in the 1920s) could have worked as well.

Same! A next generation sequel or even a prequel would have been much better... They had plenty of generations to work with, Melinda Warren, Penny and Patty, the cousins, the charmed ones children, the grand children. Literally any of those could have worked and us diehard fans would have watched it no matter what. This new concept?? I'm still unsure, and if they are banking on the cult following Charmed has, I don't think that's a guarantee or even a good idea because it won't be Charmed. I do hope it happens unlike the first time it was talked about in 2013. But I hope they find a way to relate the two. 

• Love 1

Alyssa Milano and Shannen Doherty are speaking again

Published July 03, 2017

Alyssa Milano and Shannen Doherty are finally speaking again.

Milano revealed to E! on June 29th that she and Doherty have reconnected after an ongoing feud.

The 44-year-old revealed that time, motherhood and Doherty’s breast cancer diagnosis in 2015 were catalysts for the reconciliation.

“I think we're just at ages now that what happened 15 years ago, or however long ago that was — it's irrelevant. I think that what she has gone through, [and] motherhood in my life, I think it just changes people,” she explained. “I'm so happy that she's feeling well. I prayed for her every day that she would feel well and I can't wait to see her."

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/07/03/charmed-stars-alyssa-milano-and-shannen-doherty-are-speaking-again.html

Alyssa Milano and Shannen Doherty — once, sworn enemies — are banding together with one common cause: They want to go back to the prime of their lives. That’s right. They’re trying to bring “Charmed” back.

According to InTouch, Doherty and Milano are in talks to bring back the former WB show, with an insider confirming that they’re joining forces for a reboot. “They’re hoping the show get a second life on Netflix,” the source says. “They’d love to play moms with teenage witch daughters.” The actresses have reportedly already talked to Holly Marie Combs about reprising her role, too.

http://www.metro.us/entertainment/tv/charmed-reboot-may-be-coming