Type keyword(s) to search

Dome Watchers Anonymous

Hello. My name is shapeshifter, and I am an Under the Dome-aholic.

At first it was: Science Fiction, Stephen King, and Dean Norris from Breaking Bad: I'll check it out.

Then it was I'll just watch until Angie dies or kicks Junior's butt.

Next it was: I'm just watching because Barbie is nice to look at.

And then: I'm just watching until the end of this season. I won't be back.

But when it became: I'll just tune in for the first episode of the second season...I knew I was a Dome-aholic.

• Love 2
(edited)

Oh my God Shapeshifter, get out of my head!

Seriously, that was almost my exact thought process except I never watched Breaking Bad but still a big fan of Dean Norris. He is always good in whatever he is in and there's no exception here. The writing may be crap but he makes Big Jim one of the best characters on the show.  Then there is Mike Vogel  who always brings the pretty. He is the only reason I stuck with Bates Motel as long as I did. As soon as he was gone, so was I.

I have to say though, the biggest draw for me was that I loved the book. (OK, not the ending but the rest was so good I let that go.) Now I knew that they would be making changes, adaptations always do, but I never thought they would change so much and that almost none of it would be for the better. I still can't believe that they took the interesting citizens of Chesters Mills and changed them into the cookie cutter, cliche, trope-ridden characters that we have seen a thousand times before. What a foolish waste of some great material.

And yet, I will be tuning in for season 2. Part of me really hopes the writers can pull this stinker out of the toilet and give us a well written and intriguing story. It's not too late but I know the odds are against it. Oh well. As long as I have Barbie to look at and Big Jim's machinations to watch, I'll stick around for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Desperately Random
  • Love 2

Hi.  I'm bmoore4026 and I'm kind of torn on Under the Dome.

It has Dean Norris doing a great job as the bad guy Big Jim plus super-cutie Mike Vogel and his gorgeous blue eyes and Rachelle Lefevre looking beautiful (here's hoping she's the next Jean Grey for future X-Men movies), but there are some characters (Linda, Phil, Maxine) and plot situations (Maxine again, the whole framing Barbie plot even though something similar happens in the book, the Monarch stuff) I find irritating.

I also don't much care for the killing of characters all willy-nilly.

I guess that's all I have to say for now.

I admit it. I watched last night's Under the Dome: Inside Chester's Mill season one recap episode.

If anything, it should have served as anti-abuse for Dome watching addiction. It was like watching spaghetti pots of silly ideas begin boiled and then thrown at the dome ceiling to see what stuck, and when nothing did stick, more spaghetti different colors (orange, pink, black) just kept getting lobbed at the dome ceiling faster and faster until at last I collapsed on my couch mumbling about stars with images of Dean Norris laughing at me all the way to the bank.

• Love 3
(edited)

I couldn't get myself to watch the recap since even the thought of it bored me.  

I really hope more of the TWOP crowd joins in to the conversation here, since that's practically the only reason to watch this mess of a show.  The show was just made to be mocked.  

I don't hate the show as much as "Revolution" but it came close towards the end of last season.  A lot will depend on whether they can keep the characters likeable and with functional brains, and whether they will avoid killing people willy-nilly.  Like bmoore4026, I just can't stand that... to be invested in characters and then lose them for "shock" value.

Edited by Camera One

I don't hate the show as much as "Revolution" but it came close towards the end of last season.  A lot will depend on whether they can keep the characters likeable and with functional brains, and whether they will avoid killing people willy-nilly.  Like bmoore4026, I just can't stand that... to be invested in characters and then lose them for "shock" value.

I did manage to quit Revolution pretty early on, in spite of really liking the scifi concept of the show. Revolution could give 24 a run for its money in terms of on-screen torture time. Gratuitous violence that does little to nothing for the story arc is the cure for my addiction. Under the Dome isn't quite there yet.

Hi, Aqli here.

I tried to tell myself that, disappointing as it proved to be, I was giving this show a chance to see where it went. The truth is I'm just sticking around because  of the way Mike Vogel fills out a t-shirt and a pair of jeans.  I want to live in Barbie's dream house! 

• Love 2

I think I'm cured! I had to get up freakishly early yesterday and then spent the day traveling, so I was sound asleep come Dome time, and this morning when I read the posts about the episode, I realized I didn't feel like I missed anything. It's just as much fun to read the snark without having wasted any time at all on the episode.

• Love 2

I think I'm cured! I had to get up freakishly early yesterday and then spent the day traveling, so I was sound asleep come Dome time, and this morning when I read the posts about the episode, I realized I didn't feel like I missed anything. It's just as much fun to read the snark without having wasted any time at all on the episode.

You really didn't, it's just more of the same convoluted bs.

I know this has said before, but Stephen King couldn't have been more than a little bit inspired by The Simpsons Movie.

I have a feeling he saw the movie, got inspired, got the manuscript he started and set aside in 1975, did a little rewriting, threw in the crap about the space children, and released his novel.

Also, I have a feeling the TV producers watched The Simpsons Movie, decided to make Under the Dome: The Series but thought, "Let's make it like that cartoon movie, only with even more cartoony characters and a magic egg but no thrilling motorcycle stunt ride around the dome with a time bomb".

FYI -- According to the Wikipedia page for "Under the Dome", Stephen King had been working on a novel that was tentatively titled "Under the Dome" and renamed "The Cannibals" since 1982 (and is a rewrite of a novel he had been working on since 1972).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_Dome

I guess it really is a coincidence.

But screw it.  SIMPSONS GOT IT OUT FIRST!  SIMPSONS GOT IT OUT FIRST!

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 2

I was thinking they had announced UTD's renewal like halfway through the first season, Googled a bit and found out a) I was right about that, b) it's now attracting roughly half the average viewership that it did the first season and c) people who think like the majority of those in the comments section of the page below exist and have learned to type on computers (or phones, or Surface™ tablets or something)

http://seriable.com/under-the-dome-cancelled-renewed-season-3/

I think I stuck it out the second season just so I could come here and read the snark (and add my own snark).

BTW, I saw a local news report that the Monarch butterfly population in North America has decreased by 90%, primarily due to the diminishing growth of its main food source, milkweed.  I hope that the TV exposure of this butterfly on UtD doesn't lead people to try to trap it.  I'd hate for UtD to lead to the extinction of a butterfly species.

I think I stuck it out the second season just so I could come here and read the snark (and add my own snark).

BTW, I saw a local news report that the Monarch butterfly population in North America has decreased by 90%, primarily due to the diminishing growth of its main food source, milkweed.  I hope that the TV exposure of this butterfly on UtD doesn't lead people to try to trap it.  I'd hate for UtD to lead to the extinction of a butterfly species.

I'd hate for that to happen too :(. The butterflies are innocent.

I'm not sure if this belongs here being that there is no "unpopular opinions" thread, but even with all the problems in the show, I still think the show is infinitely better than the book. 

I'm curious. How did you find it better than the book?

I liked the book a little more than the series. At least the book tied things up better imo.

• Love 1

Honestly I found the characters in the book a little over the top evil, and the ending was just unbelievably horrible (in my opinion).  After getting to the end, i practically mourned the time I spent reading that book, time I could have spent doing something better.  I'm normally a King apologist, but I can't excuse him for Under the Dome.

Honestly I found the characters in the book a little over the top evil, and the ending was just unbelievably horrible (in my opinion).  After getting to the end, i practically mourned the time I spent reading that book, time I could have spent doing something better.  I'm normally a King apologist, but I can't excuse him for Under the Dome.

Yea it's like the dome drove them all mad or something. I remember Big Jim's kid committing a lot of murders in it. Not so sure on Jim's end though, it's been awhile since I've read it.

Yea it's like the dome drove them all mad or something. I remember Big Jim's kid committing a lot of murders in it. Not so sure on Jim's end though, it's been awhile since I've read it.

A lot of people (Stephen King included) considered Big Jim the most evil human villain in all of King's books.  I found him way too cartoonish.

ETA: Maybe it's just my Dean Norris love, but I like the job he's doing with Big Jim.  I don't feel like he's overacting, I think he's getting the essence of Big Jim just right.

Edited by ByTor

A lot of people (Stephen King included) considered Big Jim the most evil human villain in all of King's books.  I found him way too cartoonish.

ETA: Maybe it's just my Dean Norris love, but I like the job he's doing with Big Jim.  I don't feel like he's overacting, I think he's getting the essence of Big Jim just right.

Yea he was rather outlandish. Working on a re read soon, just checked the book out so I can read it again.

I do too, he balances him out.

• Love 1

I had a damned Under the Dome dream night before last. It's not enough that I spent valuable hours watching this show, but then it invaded my sleep.

In my dream, the dome (sphere, really) relocated to Mars and Julia was worried there wasn't enough water to run the washing machines or take care of her hair. 

Also, there was an Ewok.

• Love 5