Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
dwmarch

S03.E07 Bali

Recommended Posts

Quote

Murtaugh turns to Cole's former mentor, Tom Barnes, for help on a high-stakes cartel case. Meanwhile, Murtaugh and Trish meet Natalie and Maya for the first time, and tensions mount between Bailey and "The Gute", as the new partners begin to work together.

I must say, I don't miss Riggs. I actually liked him but I do not miss him. Cole just seems to be an all-around better character.

Murtaugh family shenanigans are not this show's strength but I didn't mind so much this episode.

Cole does know that oxygen is consumed by fire, right? I was not sure why he decided to light up his Zippo and just let it burn unto infinity. Once you know you're buried alive what good is light versus oxygen? I know which one I'd rather have!

The fingernail pulling was unusually gory for this show.

Avery gets the best lines sometimes. "Who do we know at the CIA?!?!"

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, dwmarch said:

Cole does know that oxygen is consumed by fire, right? I was not sure why he decided to light up his Zippo and just let it burn unto infinity. Once you know you're buried alive what good is light versus oxygen? I know which one I'd rather have!

 

OMG, so much THIS! I kept muttering to myself every time we saw him with the lighter. Turn it off, damn it! You're sucking up all the oxygen! So frustrating. 

Cole is a fine character, but I'm not emotionally invested in him like I was Riggs, so while I find myself enjoying the episodes, they don't really stay with me, and I don't really have an urge to discuss them like I did in the past. I'm actually surprised I'm posting right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, dwmarch said:

The fingernail pulling was unusually gory for this show.

Scare jumped at the nails. Jeez, no warning, savage AF. Show can definitely pack a punch when it wants.

It was a strong episode. Roger was at his best in all around Papa Murtaugh mode, with his family and Cole's. Cole in protective mode was great, too, nice way to show the common ground between the partners. Cole does the sad puppy eyes yet he doesn't mope or wallow in self-pity, he doesn't try to justify his bad actions, he takes responsibility and/or he acts (not always wisely, but he does).

Mykelti Williamson makes an excellent villain, and it helped a lot. Manipulative and cold under debonair manners, but not mustache-twirling either and above all, not stupid.

Bailey and Murtaugh commiserating about their partners, Avery running the asylum, Trish being awesome, check. All this in a good way of course.

The Gute is so OTT, I wonder if the actress isn't very subtle or if the character is playing a role. The Gute sounds more sensible or thoughtful at times than her in your face attitude would grant. Bailey has more to do, good.

I'm conflicted about Natalie and Cole. On the one hand, I hate love triangles and Natalie is with a decent guy. On the other hand, Maggie Lawson and Sean William Scott have really great chemistry. I can see the attraction and how they could be good together. So I somehow found myself rooting for them as a couple. I'm sure he lied at first about forgetting what he said, she was appalled at kissing him at her BF's workplace; but I'd just like it better if she was single. One thing I did like though, is how they showed Cole's thought process through flashbacks and actions instead of using heavy dialogues like "I almost died and I reevaluated my life. I tried to do the right thing but I want to go for my happiness for once".

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

That nail pulling scene was gory...i actually felt the pain watching it. It looked too real for me...no CGI. Wow, Cole must be a Superman in disguise...how could someone go through, what he went through and is ready to take on the world...Its too far fetch.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I am LOVING this season, and Seann William Scott continues to amaze me. I literally swooned when he was like "I've always loved you, I still love you." I actually teared up a bit when he talked about Bali. Like, what? He's such a compelling romantic lead, it's ridiculous. And he's a great dramatic lead as well, and he nails the action scenes 100% of the time, and he still delivers those great little comedic moments (I loved it when Roger asked him who the apology note was for, and he kinda shrugged and went all "you!"). Seriously, whodda thunk it? If this season is the last season of LW, he needs to get his own show pronto.

I also really appreciate them casting someone like Maggie Lawson. She's able to find the comedy in the little moments as well, I loved her interactions with the Murtaugh family, I loved her chemistry with SWS, but most of all I loved her moments with Damon Wayans, the way they shared a laugh and that instant warmth. And the little girl who plays the daughter is a keeper as well. Seriously, on most other shows, "jaded CIA guy with disgruntled ex and precocious kid" would be a total disaster. With these actors, it's actually a winning and emotionally compelling storyline and I can't believe how invested I am.

Also, the Gute is a lot, but the actress is hilarious. Her scene with Avery had me rolling. I think they'll tone down her more annoying elements (they just needed a strong intro) and we'll be left with a fun character.

Seriously, this season has been one good episode after the other. What an unexpected pleasure.

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post

 I can't say enough how much I'm loving this season. Cole is just conflicted enough without being depressing like Riggs was. the fingernail scene was too much for me. I almost had to stop watching after that and I must confess I walked out of the room a couple times just in case they tried something else oh my God.

 also Cole's relationship has problems but it just didn't feel icky and hopeless like the Riggs romantic relationship. He just seems more like somebody she needed to counsel than to be in love with, and then the whole complication of her being his friend's ex-girlfriend was a bit too much

 

 congrats to Keesha sharp for directing such an amazing episode.  I'm a little sad that it has so many problems and may not be back because I feel like the show is just hitting its stride although I'm not so sure about the new partner.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Princess Lucky said:

I am LOVING this season, and Seann William Scott continues to amaze me. I literally swooned when he was like "I've always loved you, I still love you." I actually teared up a bit when he talked about Bali. Like, what? He's such a compelling romantic lead, it's ridiculous. And he's a great dramatic lead as well, and he nails the action scenes 100% of the time, and he still delivers those great little comedic moments (I loved it when Roger asked him who the apology note was for, and he kinda shrugged and went all "you!"). Seriously, whodda thunk it? If this season is the last season of LW, he needs to get his own show pronto.

I could not possibly agree more. It is nothing short of mind-blowing that this is the guy from Dude, Where's My Car? Cole should be the most generic character ever and yet SWS manages to pull new things out of him. And yes, if this gets canned (which I hope it doesn't) he needs his own show stat. I bailed on the godawful Magnum reboot after one episode and he would have made a FAR better Thomas Magnum than Jay Hernandez does.


That was a LOT of earth that Murtaugh shoveled very fast. All by himself. Without even The Gute to help him.

Edited by BaskingsharkGTX
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Count me amongst the "loving this season" crew.  I finally caught up because my DVR didn't record Lethal Weapon last week and I liked this arc.  I was surprised how different Cole was when he first met Maggie Lawson's character compared with who he is today.  I was surprised that I found him effective back then as a romantic guy. 

But in the present, as much as I like Maggie Lawson, I'm kind of torn if I want to spend too much time with that. 

I am a little confused about the cartel story, though.  Did Cole arrest the boss?  And why did his former mentor want her dead? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, BaskingsharkGTX said:

That was a LOT of earth that Murtaugh shoveled very fast. All by himself. Without even The Gute to help him.

No wonder Damon Wayans feels like he's too old for this shit.:)

3 hours ago, BaskingsharkGTX said:
9 hours ago, Princess Lucky said:

I am LOVING this season, and Seann William Scott continues to amaze me. I literally swooned when he was like "I've always loved you, I still love you." I actually teared up a bit when he talked about Bali. Like, what? He's such a compelling romantic lead, it's ridiculous. And he's a great dramatic lead as well, and he nails the action scenes 100% of the time, and he still delivers those great little comedic moments (I loved it when Roger asked him who the apology note was for, and he kinda shrugged and went all "you!"). Seriously, whodda thunk it? If this season is the last season of LW, he needs to get his own show pronto.

I could not possibly agree more. It is nothing short of mind-blowing that this is the guy from Dude, Where's My Car? Cole should be the most generic character ever and yet SWS manages to pull new things out of him. And yes, if this gets canned (which I hope it doesn't) he needs his own show stat. I bailed on the godawful Magnum reboot after one episode and he would have made a FAR better Thomas Magnum than Jay Hernandez does.

It's just killing me that this is almost certainly going to be cancelled after this season.  It has gotten so much better this season than anybody had any reason to hope.  Love the whole cast, but yes esp. Seann William Scott.  I already knew he was good, but wow, agree so much with what has been said above.   Crossing my fingers.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Princess Lucky said:

I am LOVING this season, and Seann William Scott continues to amaze me. I literally swooned when he was like "I've always loved you, I still love you." I actually teared up a bit when he talked about Bali. Like, what? He's such a compelling romantic lead, it's ridiculous. And he's a great dramatic lead as well, and he nails the action scenes 100% of the time, and he still delivers those great little comedic moments (I loved it when Roger asked him who the apology note was for, and he kinda shrugged and went all "you!"). Seriously, whodda thunk it? If this season is the last season of LW, he needs to get his own show pronto.

For the first time, I really noticed his voice. No wonder he's also doing some work in that field. He seems very complete as an actor and imo the writers give him good material so he's able to pull really good performances.

4 hours ago, BaskingsharkGTX said:

I could not possibly agree more. It is nothing short of mind-blowing that this is the guy from Dude, Where's My Car? Cole should be the most generic character ever and yet SWS manages to pull new things out of him. And yes, if this gets canned (which I hope it doesn't) he needs his own show stat. I bailed on the godawful Magnum reboot after one episode and he would have made a FAR better Thomas Magnum than Jay Hernandez does.

I only saw the trailer, but now that you mention it the Magnum reboot seems like a caricature of what LW could have become. I wouldn't have watched 3x02 if Cole was oozing smarminess like the Magnum's lead did imo. I didn't know him before LW, but I certainly will check out anything SWS does afterwards.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

And let me just add that I'm loving seeing Avery out of the office. Not so sure about the new partner. I think they went way too overboard with her

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, catrice2 said:

And let me just add that I'm loving seeing Avery out of the office.

I hope they maintain the delicate balance with this. On The Shield we had the Strike Team, doing hard takedowns every episode. But when you saw a raid where Dutch (a detective who was way more likely to pull out a pen than a gun) was rocking a bulletproof vest you knew some shit was going down! I feel the same way when I see Avery out in the field.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/14/2018 at 9:52 PM, Irlandesa said:

 

I am a little confused about the cartel story, though.  Did Cole arrest the boss?  And why did his former mentor want her dead? 

It was a CIA, or a rogue CIA agent putting their own man in charge of that cartel. Possibly for Iran-Contra 2,0, the story being told on Snowfall or just to enrich himself as kingmaker. I am not sure if she was arrested with some US Attorney or DA able to make a case or just saved from the assassination.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/14/2018 at 4:58 PM, Princess Lucky said:

I

Also, the Gute is a lot, but the actress is hilarious. Her scene with Avery had me rolling. I think they'll tone down her more annoying elements (they just needed a strong intro) and we'll be left with a fun character.

Seriously, this season has been one good episode after the other. What an unexpected pleasure.

Until that scene I was hating the Gute.  But I liked the way she was more low key there so maybe I will like her going forward.  

I had a hard time with the finger nails and the buried alive part. I hurt when that stuff happens. I am glad it doesn't happen that often on tv shows.

This really is a good season and a good show.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Maya having Roger on speed dial and checking in with him on her dad is too cute. Also enjoyed the element of daughters of cops bonding which we didn't get with Riggs being such a loner. I still miss Riggs like crazy, but Cole is a different kind of complicated hero that I also enjoy.

Every episode we have Rianna being grounded, about to be grounded, whining about being grounded, and/or fluantingly breaking the rules. Can we get a break and have some preschool Harper antics?

FOX needs to look at their shows in development that they can slide SWS into since it's a long shot that they'll renew this show with Wayans already with both feet out the door. Unless they work it out that he becomes Captain so his work load is reduced and he can crack the funny and they luck out again with a partner replacement for Cole.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know about the ratings but the critical acclaim might get them another half season with a new detective for Cole. Instead of a remake of the movie series the name could transition into just a homage.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/14/2018 at 8:05 PM, BaskingsharkGTX said:

That was a LOT of earth that Murtaugh shoveled very fast. All by himself. Without even The Gute to help him.

The open hole looked to be at least twelve feet deep, and perhaps twenty feet wide, so I found it hard to believe that Murtaugh could have heard Cole's shouts (or that they would have been as loud as they were), much less being able to dig him out with a mere shovel in such a brief amount of time.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Can't say enough good things about SWS.  I was one of the people not upset that CC was leaving because I was getting tired of the character and show. And not knowing about the mutual hate between him and DW (until after), I felt like something was off and they were just forcing it.  Strangling dogs was also a little too morbid for me.  The show seems lighter,  even if it is a high power crime/cop shoot em up show.

Edited by dirtydi
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

This is like the little show that could, isn't it? Like no matter what's thrown at it, the show continues chugging along.

Am SO liking the show better. I find Coles's energy much better than Riggs's. Maybe it's because the actor himself was so frenetic, but it never felt like he really connected with people. 

I had no idea SWS had this range, but even though the BTS stuff is chaos, the writing, directing, and acting are solid.

Agree that what could have been cheesy is great. That kid is perfectly cast. She's precocious, but not obnoxious. Natalie is a caring mom without being overly protective or nagging or any of the negative stereotypes they usually give the "ex."

Avery is awesome and definitely not the "Give my your guns and your badges" nonsense kind of boss.

I'm assuming the WAY OTT Gute is just so we feel Bailey's annoyance, and they will calm her shtick down a bit. She was good when she barely said a word while sitting on the couch, with just her expressions, so I'm assuming that they'll give her more of a backstory and make her more human than a caricature. They've done a good job with everyone else where that is concerned.

I also like how Cole wasn't doing a jig after Natalie kissed him, but you could just feel that little bit of joy seeping through in his expression. "So, that happened." HA!

Edited by SweetTooth
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
×