Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E16: Stay in Your Lane

• Start Topic

Ashley files a restraining order against Bar’s mom. Kayla blocks Stephan after he misses an appointment for Izaiah. Jade struggles with being a single mom. Lexi needs a new car. Brianna and her family make a big move.

Kayla needs to move to another state and change her name. Stephan is one barely contained rage ball. He makes me recoil every time he's on screen. Nice job, Kayla. You found the most unstable, meanest ugliest guy in the state to father your child.

• Love 15

I am no fan of Stephan, and it was crappy of him to ignore Kayla the morning of the appointment (and then berate her for not waiting for him), but is it really THAT big of a deal that he didn't go to one appointment? 

Shen would be the nightmare mother in law, but Ashley totally stokes the fire by making mountains out of molehills.  She takes no responsibility for her part in anything.  I've never ff'd through anybody's segments (regularly) out of this entire franchise, and I think she might be the first.  I don't think she'd know what to do with herself if there weren't any drama. 

Did Lexi get a car with essentially a 50% interest rate?  Starting off life making poor financial moves, IMO.  However, I do think she is smart to want to try to live on their own in the same town as their families before moving to AZ.  You don't automatically become mature because you hit your 18th birthday.  I remember being naive in high school about how easy it was going to be once I was out on my own.  It was harder than I thought, and I didn't even have a baby.  Have they even considered how much childcare is going to cost if they both work?  Having Lexi's family around might cut that down quite a bit.  They could work opposite shifts, but I honestly don't think their relationship is strong enough to withstand the pressure and loneliness that brings.  He's barely sticking around now, without his life having yet turned into working all day and taking care of chores and a baby alone all evening.  Add in a heaping helping of not enough money and that gives it an extremely high chance of it imploding.  He just doesn't seem that into her as it is.

Jade needs to distance herself from her mother.  That woman is going to drag her down.  I can't believe the things she says to her.  I know Jade has made her share of mistakes, but I really like her and want to see her thrive. 

On the special last week Briana said that she got online comments on her greasy hair, but she doesn't think it's greasy.  But damn, it's still the most attention grabbing thing in the room after Braeson.  He is so super cute and has the brightest smile out of all the babies.  I don't know if we're allowed to talk previews here (can someone fill me in?) so I'll not mention any details, but it looks like her mom isn't the best decision maker herself.   

Edited by eskimo
to add
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, eskimo said:

am no fan of Stephan, and it was crappy of him to ignore Kayla the morning of the appointment (and then berate her for not waiting for him), but is it really THAT big of a deal that he didn't go to one appointment? 

Shen would be the nightmare mother in law, but Ashley totally stokes the fire by making mountains out of molehills.  She takes no responsibility for her part in anything.  I've never ff'd through anybody's segments (regularly) out of this entire franchise, and I think she might be the first.  I don't think she'd know what to do with herself if there weren't any drama. 

If Kayla's pediatric practice was anything like mine, she probably couldn't wait because she's lose her appointment. If you were five minutes late for mine, you were not seen and had to reschedule. No exceptions. Either way--if Stephan wasn't going, would it kill him to call and tell her? Its all about control for him. He has a built in reason to blow his stack at Kayla no matter what she does. Go? He's mad. Call him to find out where he is? He's mad. Wait for him? Probably mad too. I loathe him the most of this whole unprepossessing bunch of ragey, mumbly, feckless losers. OK, maybe not Bar, I kind of have a soft spot for him.

Ashley is pure, unadulterated, spoiled trash.  Shen's a nightmare, but Ashley cannot ever just grit her teeth and walk away. Probably learned at Pastor "I'll kill a motherfucker" Tea's knee. I feel bad for Bar, who seems like a nice enough kid. He's walking a knife blade between Ashley and his mother. It must be hard.

• Love 11
24 minutes ago, eskimo said:

I am no fan of Stephan, and it was crappy of him to ignore Kayla the morning of the appointment (and then berate her for not waiting for him), but is it really THAT big of a deal that he didn't go to one appointment? 

Did Lexi get a car with essentially a 50% interest rate?  Starting off life making poor financial moves, IMO.  However, I do think she is smart to want to try to live on their own in the same town as their families before moving to AZ.  You don't automatically become mature because you hit your 18th birthday.  I remember being naive in high school about how easy it was going to be once I was out on my own.  It was harder than I thought, and I didn't even have a baby.  Have they even considered how much childcare is going to cost if they both work?  Having Lexi's family around might cut that down quite a bit.  They could work opposite shifts, but I honestly don't think their relationship is strong enough to withstand the pressure and loneliness that brings.  He's barely sticking around now, without his life having yet turned into working all day and taking care of chores and a baby alone all evening.  Add in a heaping helping of not enough money and that gives it an extremely high chance of it imploding.  He just doesn't seem that into her as it is.

Jade needs to distance herself from her mother.  That woman is going to drag her down.  I can't believe the things she says to her.  I know Jade has made her share of mistakes, but I really like her and want to see her thrive. 

On the special last week Briana said that she got online comments on her greasy hair, but she doesn't think it's greasy.  But damn, it's still the most attention grabbing thing in the room after Braeson.  He is so super cute and has the brightest smile out of all the babies.  I don't know if we're allowed to talk previews here (can someone fill me in?) so I'll not mention any details, but it looks like her mom isn't the best decision maker herself.   

I agree that Brianna's mother is not the smartest person in the world. If she's moving to Oregon to be closer to parents and other family members, why aren't said relatives providing shelter? Hell, Brianna and the boyfriend could sleep in sleeping bags. This is a very, very stupid decision and her sister was very wise to stay put. How old is that sister, anyway?

I'm praying Lexi was lying about paying $30,000 for a used fucking car. How could she foot such a bill with a part-time job? That doesn't make any sense. And that boyfriend gives me some very, very bad vibes. He's too controlling.

Ashley's sister needs to have a serious word with that girl. She's the only one in that family with any sense. I, too, feel bad for Bar.

• Love 7

Watching this show makes me nervous for everyone on it. So many powder keg personalities and then there's these little vulnerable babies plopped down in the middle, just innocently blinking up at their unqualified or even toxic caregivers. Ugh.

They condescending way Kyler talks to Lexi makes me want to reach through the screen and slap his smug face. His whole "get off your mommy's tit, sweetheart" routine is just a way of chipping away at her so that he can isolate her and have all the control. The car loan was a bad financial plan but if it keeps her from moving, maybe it's not so bad.

• Love 15
26 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Its all about control for him. He has a built in reason to blow his stack at Kayla no matter what she does. Go? He's mad. Call him to find out where he is? He's mad. Wait for him? Probably mad too. I loathe him the most of this whole unprepossessing bunch of ragey, mumbly, feckless losers.

Totally.  He thrives on her chasing after him.  Even if it only has to do with his son, it still somehow feeds his ego to have her trying to get a hold of him while he ignores her.  He really loves that he has that control over her.  I also dislike him the most.  He's dangerous and she should be happy she didn't have to spend the morning with him.  I don't know why she cared so much that he didn't come to this appt.  He gaslights her all the time, so that wasn't anything new that morning. 

The sooner she accepts that she can't count on him, the better.  I wish she would just text him once, and call and leave a message once if he doesn't answer, and then get on with what needs to be taken care of.  If he misses something major, oh well, at least she didn't have to deal with his inta-rage during whatever else is going on. 

She needs to stop allowing him to regularly make her day about 'OMG, where is Stephen!'  She really doesn't have anything to lose because, like you said, he's going to be pissed anyway

• Love 6
16 hours ago, eskimo said:

Stephan, besides being a huge tool control freak, also has a chip on his shoulder about not having a dad, so he wants to be the best dad. Any possible inkling that Kayla feels otherwise, and he's a monster. He made the situation impossible and of course it's never his fault.

I think Lexi should stick by her mom for support as long as she can. It's not easy being a young mom and it's okay to have support. I was surprised that Mom was at the car lot, said she would co-sign, but didn't give Lexi any coaching about how to make a deal! Kyler is a douchecanoe. I couldn't believe how he and his mom were laughing at her. Lexi is smarter than Kyler if she realizes that she needs family around while she's bringing up Tobias. The very fact that he doesn't want L's mom even two towns over makes me want to tell her to RUN!

15 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Where lumpy, ugly, inarticulate, unintelligent, fatuous Kyler gets the idea that he's some kind of prize is a mystery for the ages. That he scored a cute cheerleader boggles my mind. He looks like he eats paste.

Thank you for the belly laugh!

• Love 6

Remember to view these poor financial decisions through the same MTV paycheck filter that these girls have.  They all (and their extended families) feel like they hit the reality teevee payday motherlode - the sky's the limit!  Take a look at the Teen Mom OG and Teem Mom 2 cast to see where they're headed.  More babies, lots of moves, cars and dogs.  Also, horses, pigs and chickens!

• Love 4
22 hours ago, politichick said:

I'm praying Lexi was lying about paying $30,000 for a used fucking car. How could she foot such a bill with a part-time job? That doesn't make any sense. And that boyfriend gives me some very, very bad vibes. He's too controlling.

No no no... she didn't even have a job at the time of buying this car.  Obviously we're seeing the MTV money take effect. Did we even get to see what kind of car it was? I thought she was buying some SUV or something and then I see her getting out of this tiny nothing special white car and I'm like THAT is $30k USED!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

I want a mini cooper and the one I want is $30k brand spanking new with a convertible. And there's no freaking way I can even afford that! so I'm waiting a few years for the one I want to hopefully come in from a lease ending lol 

• Love 4

Isn't a brand new Honda Civic like $19k? And she paid $20k for a used car? And then laughed and said "No one told me I had to try to talk down the price."  Lord.

You can lease a new car around here (NYC) for $200 a month with good credit. I realize that it's all about making money but I really think the salesperson who fleeced a mom with a small baby is a real piece of shit.

• Love 2

I don’t have kids, so someone please put me in my lane if I’m wrong, but....

The whole scene with Jade when Kloie was being fussy really bothered me and I found it hard to watch, especially after she left Kloie in her crib (as what I perceived to be a punishment.) I know babies need to cry it out & it’s also part of the Ferber method, but Jade appeared to be fed up with the baby, period, and didn’t want to have to parent anymore. It just rubbed me the wrong way, especially the look on that baby’s face! Broke my damn heart.

Maybe the baby didn’t have a nap that day, but at least freakin’ reference it for the cameras! 

She was pissed at Sean and was heated up while re-hashing the details to her cousin, so that had her temp boiling. However, to tell an infant to “quit” fussing blows my mind. I wanted to yell at my TV, “she doesn’t understand you, you ignorant, crappy, manicure-to-match-your-car having dumbass!” 

Isn’t that what babies do? They fuss some days and don’t fuss on others?

She is tired and needs help, I get it. While I sincerely applaud her for eradicating Sean from her life, Jade is another one that strikes me as someone who wants to have her old life back. She’s better off reserving any extra energy for her baby.

I also don’t see her interact/snuggle/hold/embrace/engage with  Kloie at all either. I know it’s partially due to the editing monkeys, but I’ve seen the other moms engage with their babies a hell of a lot more than Jade does.

I still want to know why she has a Disabled Driver placard and continues to use the designated parking spot in her apartment complex.

Edited by Bridget
Grammar is always important
  • Love 6

The baby could have been sick, tired, cutting a tooth, or any number of other things. Putting her in her crib is not necessarily bad, and yes, sometimes you just have to let a baby cry a little, but tossing your baby in her crib because you're sick of her crying isn't part of any parenting or sleep training method I've ever heard of.

Ferber gets a bad rap but his method is not simply "cry it out". For one thing, its not recommended until 6 months old, since younger babies often need a feeding in the night. You establish a bedtime routine. The atmosphere is to be calm and restful. Dimmer lights, bath, story, rocking, singing, whatever. Baby is placed gently in her crib, hugged and given a warm and loving "good night". If the baby cries, check on her every few minutes, with longer intervals between checks, say 3 minutes, 10 minutes, 20 minutes. When checking, you do not pick the baby up, just pat them on the back gently and leave again. The intervals should get longer each night, and it usually only takes a few days for the baby to learn how to fall asleep on her own. It is most definitely not flinging an upset and crying baby into her crib to cry it out.

• Love 9

I watched that scene and thought to myself "that is probably what I would be like.... which is why I have no desire to have kids...." 

I dont necessarily think it was a bad thing for Jade to put her in her crib and be able to step back from the situation for a little bit.  She maybe didn't go about it the best way expressing her frustrations like that... but one has to wonder if she maybe has somewhat of a temper like her mom and maybe realized she just needed a break and putting Kloie in the crib was the best option at the time. 

• Love 9
On 10/17/2018 at 9:08 AM, suzeecat said:

Remember to view these poor financial decisions through the same MTV paycheck filter that these girls have.  They all (and their extended families) feel like they hit the reality teevee payday motherlode - the sky's the limit!  Take a look at the Teen Mom OG and Teem Mom 2 cast to see where they're headed.  More babies, lots of moves, cars and dogs.  Also, horses, pigs and chickens!

I do think the MTV money factored into this, but they best not get ahead of themselves.  If this forum is even the tiniest of indications, this show will not be around long enough for these girls to make the kind of money the OG and TM2 girls have.   The show aired on Monday, and on Thursday there are only 15 posts?  The interest in the whole idea seems to be waning, judging only by forum participation here and OG forum (what a drop!), and OG ratings.  I don't know what the ratings for this show have been yet.  Maybe it's just wishful thinking though.  It really would be a blessing in disguise for the Y&P girls if this is cancelled soon.  They'll have a better shot overall, even if it's harder at first.  There's a better chance of them learning the important life skills of working, cooking at home, and budgeting. 

• Love 2

I think jade was frustrated and maybe it was edited out but she didn’t even offer a bottle or binky before putting her down to see if that might have been what she wanted just layed her on her back with nothing I found that kinda cold. 

I think the mom let Lexie walk right into that Payment because it gives her some control, if she can’t afford it she can’t keep it so she may end up at home. Not that I blame the mom I wouldn’t wanna send my daughter off with Kyler  either. She can’t trust that he has her back because he never does he gets off on hurting her and making her feel like less of a person then he is, and somehow keeps full control. She’s an adorable girl and he is nothing to look at, since day 1 I’ve thought her eyes must be bad because what does she see in that??? Blows me away poor girl could do so much better she’s so sweet. 

Edited by Mainer
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, gunderda said:

I watched that scene and thought to myself "that is probably what I would be like.... which is why I have no desire to have kids...." 

I dont necessarily think it was a bad thing for Jade to put her in her crib and be able to step back from the situation for a little bit.  She maybe didn't go about it the best way expressing her frustrations like that... but one has to wonder if she maybe has somewhat of a temper like her mom and maybe realized she just needed a break and putting Kloie in the crib was the best option at the time. 

I think Jade said something like she had the baby 24/7 for days and days. Since they were fighting, I think Sean probably dropped out and she had no break and just reached a snapping point.

I don't have kids. Never wanted kids. That scene made me crazy. I just would not be able to deal with that. I had a hard time dealing with watching it on television. Screaming and fussing makes me insane even though I know it is to be expected. It's also nice to be able to say that here without being slammed with, "But it's not always that way. They are a JOY!" because people are unable to just discuss the situation that unfolded on TV and think saying what I did is somehow dissing parents when it surely is not.

• Love 5

Finally watched the episode. I shifted from TM to this one. At least we're seeing some legit struggle here, not assholes making $300K/year.

In all these cases, I thought... wow... to be permanently tied to these prick fathers... can't imagine how that would suck. Interestingly that the only guy who seems half-way decent isn't even the kids father (Robert).  Stephan is a scary one indeed. And then there is Bar and his trash family.  And then Jade's scary asshole mother.  Jeesh... they really found some winners for this series. Its so sad watching these cute little babies and realizing how shitty their families are.

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:44 PM, Bridget said:

I don’t have kids, so someone please put me in my lane if I’m wrong, but....

The whole scene with Jade when Kloie was being fussy really bothered me and I found it hard to watch, especially after she left Kloie in her crib (as what I perceived to be a punishment.) I know babies need to cry it out & it’s also part of the Ferber method, but Jade appeared to be fed up with the baby, period, and didn’t want to have to parent anymore. It just rubbed me the wrong way, especially the look on that baby’s face! Broke my damn heart.

Maybe the baby didn’t have a nap that day, but at least freakin’ reference it for the cameras! 

She was pissed at Sean and was heated up while re-hashing the details to her cousin, so that had her temp boiling. However, to tell an infant to “quit” fussing blows my mind. I wanted to yell at my TV, “she doesn’t understand you, you ignorant, crappy, manicure-to-match-your-car having dumbass!” 

Isn’t that what babies do? They fuss some days and don’t fuss on others?

She is tired and needs help, I get it. While I sincerely applaud her for eradicating Sean from her life, Jade is another one that strikes me as someone who wants to have her old life back. She’s better off reserving any extra energy for her baby.

I also don’t see her interact/snuggle/hold/embrace/engage with  Kloie at all either. I know it’s partially due to the editing monkeys, but I’ve seen the other moms engage with their babies a hell of a lot more than Jade does.

I still want to know why she has a Disabled Driver placard and continues to use the designated parking spot in her apartment complex.

I'm late to the party since I just recently discovered this cinematic masterpiece, but as a mom of two kids, one of who I lovingly nicknamed the demon seed when she was a baby, I didn't see anything wrong with Jade's behavior.  Jade has a tough life and was at the end of her rope.  The best thing you can do in that situation and what new mothers are told to do, is to put the child down and walk away until you're in a better place to deal with the child.  Until you've been the only one responsible for a fussing baby for hours and hours on end, you just don't know how it feels.   The best thing to do is walk away sometimes.   I've done it.   Babies are hard as hell, especially when they're teething (which I'm 90% sure was Kloie's issue) and we all lose our cool.  Better to put her down and take some time to gather your own emotions than take your anger out on the baby.   Sometimes new mothers just can't win.  

I'm with you on the handicap placard tho.  What is UP with that?

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:00 AM, gunderda said:

This, exactly. People seem to expect these young, inexperienced mothers that typically show bad judgment in many areas, to be picture perfect parents at all times.  It's kind of funny, actually.   If Jade was a perfect mom and did everything the "right" way, she probably wouldn't be the type to get knocked up at 20 by a drugged up wanna be rapper.   Putting the seven month old baby down in her crib and walking away when she felt herself getting towards the edge emotionally was probably the MOST responsible thing she could've done in that moment.  

• Love 8