Type keyword(s) to search

Jane The Virgin Anticipation

TV Guide sez:

After a series of surprising events, a hard-working, religious young Latina woman (Gina Rodriguez) is accidentally artificially inseminated. 90210's Jennie Snyder Urman will write and executive-produce the adaptation of a Venezuelan telenovela. Jaime Camil, Justin Baldoni, Ryan Devlin, Yael Grobglas, Brett Dier, Andrea Navedo and Ivonne Coll will also star.

I don't know why they greenlit this show. The concept doesn't even translate well to an American audience They seem to be anticipating Ugly Betty levels of sucess for this but I can't see many people tuning into the CW for this.

• Love 1

I don't know why they greenlit this show. The concept doesn't even translate well to an American audience They seem to be anticipating Ugly Betty levels of sucess for this but I can't see many people tuning into the CW for this.

Agreed.  I' m sure it's a sweet, nice show on one level, but it's just totally not fit for broadcast TV (it MIGHT have worked, for at least a little bit, on the right cable channel, like a Hallmark Channel or even as the rare "not super sexy" ABC Family show, but even there I'd be skeptical).

If this wasn't on the CW but on another broadcast network (because I think the CW is a bit less likely to pull the trigger on a cancellation due to having a smaller back bench of replacement shows), this would be my #1 "first to be canceled" guess.  Since it IS on the CW, instead I imagine they'll let it burn through it's initial episode order and then be done with it forever.

Yeah I agree. I think the ads make it look better than I thought when I first heard about it (which was WTF??) but even then I think its a difficult sell. Then again I thought Reign wouldn't last past 13 this season. And this one has an even more cracked out love triangle it seems. 

The creator is the same one as Emily Owens, MD which was similarly sweet looking and almost as twee seeming (and had ok writing for the premise) but I don't see it lasting any longer than that one did. 

I will check out the first ep though. And on the plus side it is a show with a more diverse cast than is usual for the CW

A mix up like this is just damn near impossible partly because sperm banks and OB/GYN offices are not in the same place. It costs a lot of money to get pregnant via insemination so they aren't about to take a chance on mixing that up with a pap smear. That doesn't even get into all the beforehand prep they do. They didn't consider this at all when the greenlit the concept. 

I do hope Gina Rodriguez finds a better show after this. She really is talented.

They would notice. They'd have labels on the jars, and assistants. I'd imagine they'd have the patient confirm name and date of birth and possibly donor name.

But this? This is telenovela. It's Hallmark science. It's about the feels not the reals.

• Love 2

I watched Juana La Virgen years ago, and when I stumbled upon a trailer for this on youtube I thought "nooooo, no way, this is not a remake of that." Yet, yes it is. And it looks like a bad remake, too, by the way. I give it a season at the most. The premise isn't even that sustainable, it can't be streched out too long.

Juana la virgen is on hulu, though, if anyone cares, lol. But I don't think it has subs.

It's nice to see shows revolving around latina familes, though. So, yay for that.

A mix up like this is just damn near impossible partly because sperm banks and OB/GYN offices are not in the same place. It costs a lot of money to get pregnant via insemination so they aren't about to take a chance on mixing that up with a pap smear. That doesn't even get into all the beforehand prep they do. They didn't consider this at all when the greenlit the concept.

My problem with the mix up is that Jane is just too old for that. How old is she supposed to be? She looks over 23. How can she not know what happens in a gyno visit? How can she not ask questions and shit? In the original,  the excuse was that Juana was only 17, had never been to the gynocologist and no one could go with her that day, so she was alone. I can imagine a kid not asking too many questions and thinking what happened was it, but a grown woman?

• Love 1

Juana La Virgen is subtitled on youtube I believe. 

Jane being 23 in this was one of my problems too. I thought I posted that here but I actually posted that tidbit on another site. Plus this isn't Venezuela(where I probably could've hand waived it with excuses) its Miami, Florida.

Its nice to see latinas on their own English language shows but I can't support shows like this and Devious Maids that are horribly written and rely on stereotypes to sell the show.

• Love 1

Ugly Betty started with a lot of sterotypes and broke them (and affirmed others) and was a cute shoe for a while. This show does surprisingly seem to be charming critics who all say if you can make it past the central conceit (and I agree its a huge IF, especially at 23) then its a good show with a real find of a lead actress. This is the latest one.

http://tvline.com/2014/07/09/jane-the-virgin-preview-pilot-cw-fall-lineup/

I think the positive press has me checking it out for the pilot and 2nd episode (provided I can get through the pilot).

I have no problem with the lead actress. I saw her in Filly Brown and she's a good actress. My problem is that this show is a remake of a show that was terrible with a pretty much implausible plot and all types of stupidity and campiness will be running amok through this. I really don't see this show being the next Ugly Betty like CBS and critics keep saying. It doesn't fit the CW audience. 

The show seemed to be well liked by all critics in this little fall roundup. I loved Ugly Betty so I'll be checking it out.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/jane-the-virgin/news/1931608/fall_tv_preview_5_critics_weigh_in_on_new_shows

Matt Roush, TV Guide: This is something I've never said in all the time I've covered TV: my favorite shows are on The CW this fall... Jane the Virgin and Flash are both really well done pilots. Jane the Virgin is probably the most surprising show, not just because of its title, but because it's a cool show.

Tim Goodman, The Hollywood Reporter: I was surprised the most about Jane the Virgin. That was the one that stood out to me the most. Loved that.

Robert Bianco, USA Today: It's refreshing, especially on that network, to see someone who is not 90 pounds and is incredibly well-spoken.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 1

I know I am coming onto this ship late, but I'm about to start to binge this show in anticipation to be all caught up for the upcoming season starting in October. I am really looking forward to this as the show has been highly talked about.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Cherry Bomb said:

I know I am coming onto this ship late, but I'm about to start to binge this show in anticipation to be all caught up for the upcoming season starting in October. I am really looking forward to this as the show has been highly talked about.

I just finished binging this show on Netflix and I can't WAIT for the new season to start!  I'm curious what it will be like watching one episode a week instead of all of it at once.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Adira said:

I just finished binging this show on Netflix and I can't WAIT for the new season to start!  I'm curious what it will be like watching one episode a week instead of all of it at once.

So far I am really enjoying Season One and I especially love the narrator of the show. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Cherry Bomb said:

So far I am really enjoying Season One and I especially love the narrator of the show. 

The narrator might be my favorite "character"!!

• Love 1

Now I'm wondering if the show will work in any hurricane/post-hurricane storylines, since they're set in Miami. Rafael's and Petra's hotel is right on the beach! Maybe it gets severely damaged and the boring kids' club is no more? And they restore it into something new and dazzling? But on a less frivolous note, JtV is good at addressing societal issues. It would be nice if they could work in some storylines about how, for example, the poor are usually harmed much more by disasters than the affluent, and climate change, and governments that don't want to put enough resources into reducing risks *before* disaster strikes, etc. Not to mention the ongoing drama and coping of people who are displaced and need someplace new to stay for weeks or months or longer.

• Love 1

Was it a (fictional) hurricane that affected the Xo/ Ro wedding? I could see them maybe dealing with the aftermath of that (or was that not the finale? it's been awhile, I'm forgetting), though of course that would be purely coincidental at this point since they started filming awhile ago. I was going to say that doing an Irma (or Irma-like) story later in the season might be overkill, but I guess in the case of Florida, it's sadly realistic.

• Love 1