Type keyword(s) to search

The Profit An Inside Look: Planet Popcorn

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

I don't think I knew that he didn't invest in PP when they did the 'where are they now' ep. I thought they'd gone in together. But here Marcus says he just bought her some equipment. Probably for the best.  I mean, if you're gonna leave cash out all over the floor, I want somebody to be rolling in it like Scrooge McDuck, or GTFO!

• Love 3
11 hours ago, GoGamecox said:

Any theories on where the missing $ went? 

Casey, the accounting guy took some as did a few other people. Everyone knew that no one was watching. The owner may have taken some too. She had no financial integrity and lacked character. It was obnoxious that she was driving a Mercedes while owing her mother so much money. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, GoGamecox said:

Yes, the missing money probably went to the popcorn lady and her fiancé. It's very easy to skim in a cash business with no POS system and no coherent inventory system. She also creeped me out.

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, Flyin.Bryan said:

My question is then why contact the show to invest when you know you're embezzling tons of cash??? There is no advantage in broadcasting your crime!

Didn't she lose some of her Disney business due to the bad PR from this show?

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Didn't she lose some of her Disney business due to the bad PR from this show?

Yes. Disney did not want to be mentioned on the show. She had to have known that. She had such a disregard for rules and processes. She is now at Legoland. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I think that she thought she could charm her way out of the missing money issue, and Marcus would be glad to throw money at her.     She was totally wrong anyway, but I bet a close inventory of her finances over the years would be very enlightening, and I wonder what the IRS thought about her 'forgetting' to report the additional profit.      

I did notice, just like Swanson seafood, that there were a lot of low cut tops, and attempts at flirting.    I guess the idea of meeting a single billionaire was an incentive to some people for going on the show.  

• Love 3
On 8/16/2018 at 10:44 AM, GoGamecox said:

Alcohol.

Marcus is adamant that she was honest, and I don't think she was clever enough to have been embezzling. It is certainly possible that anyone could have scooped up any amount. But mostly her problem was the attitude that she could do whatever she wanted and it didn't matter. She could have rented something or paid fees or thrown cash at expenses and just not noted it.

I thought the review commentary was pretty good. A little more business, a little behind-the-scenes, and some self-analysis. It's not amazing new content, but it's easy for them to make and better than just showing a rerun without the comments.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Amarsir said:

Alcohol.

Marcus is adamant that she was honest, and I don't think she was clever enough to have been embezzling. It is certainly possible that anyone could have scooped up any amount. But mostly her problem was the attitude that she could do whatever she wanted and it didn't matter. She could have rented something or paid fees or thrown cash at expenses and just not noted it.

I thought the review commentary was pretty good. A little more business, a little behind-the-scenes, and some self-analysis. It's not amazing new content, but it's easy for them to make and better than just showing a rerun without the comments.

I would not be surprised if there's some sort of addiction issue. It takes a special kind of selfishness to screw your mom over and tell her to STFU about it. A lot of addicts are that special type of selfish.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

I would not be surprised if there's some sort of addiction issue. It takes a special kind of selfishness to screw your mom over and tell her to STFU about it. A lot of addicts are that special type of selfish.

She also had a loose lack of self-control and I believe mentioned something about getting drinks after work as well. Not that the latter is indicative of a problem, but it certainly goes along with it.

Also in season 1 I suspected Jacob Maarse (the flower guy) might have been using something like cocaine. He would be very quiet and reserved, then disappear for no reason, then come back high energy and raging for a fight. Again not proof, but behavior consistent with an abuse problem.

• Love 4
On 8/16/2018 at 10:30 PM, Showthyme said:
On 8/17/2018 at 11:21 AM, hurrrz said:

Of course she knew. She said it in the episode - "It's my money" I bet it's also the reason why she was so clingy over the financials.

The owner may have taken some too. She had no financial integrity and lacked character. It was obnoxious that she was driving a Mercedes while owing her mother so much money. 

I very much believe that she took the money (bought the Mercedes), but viewed it simply as using her own money, so there was nothing wrong with it in her mind.  

Edited by LuvMyShows
clarify meaning
  • Love 6

I watched most of this episode on the marathon the other day, and noticed when the huge amount of missing money was mentioned, and the ideas for having real physical control over the money, and cameras in the office, the accountant was absolutely thrilled.    There is no way he would have been happy about more control if he was the thief.    I strongly suspect the owner had been financing her lifestyle off of the unreported cash, and the boyfriend knew all about it.    I'm sure her mother suspected it too, but was too gutless to say no to her daughter's demands for money, or to admit to anyone that her daughter was a thief, and a tax evader.  I hope the IRS had a bunch of calls about her, and the missing money, and shaky accounting, because if anyone needs a thorough audit, it's the business and the owner. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3