Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E04: The Ick Factor

The kitchen can be a scary place, but the recruits must learn to face their fears in boot camp. First, they're forced to expand their palates with some unusual ingredients in a Cake Walk-inspired game that proves to be anything but a cakewalk. Then, the recruits get up close and personal with some creatures of the sea, harvesting ink to make fresh squid ink pasta under the watchful eyes of chefs Anne Burrell and Robert Irvine. The brave recruits who conquer their fears will continue on in boot camp, but those who struggle are doomed to head home.

Well, that’s Episode 4, guys! What did you think?

This week, the contestants are going to face their fears. I felt really sorry for Rudy that he got Rocky Mountain oysters and anchovies - eww, gross! Were you disgusted by any of the other items that were displayed - pig ears, alligator, etc.? That’s what this was all about.

I appreciate Carla trying to think it through this week.

Making pasta with squid was really hard. It made a bunch of people squeamish when they first saw it. I think it was fun to watch them replicate their mentors’ dishes. Squid ink is a very unusual ingredient people use, and I feel most of these people did well.

Janese and Bradley did really well and rose to the top. I loved when Mr. Irvine created a suspenseful moment to finally reveal that Bradley’s food was amazing. I mean, he does that all the time.

I think Sarah really struggled this week. She just didn’t have the confidence.

My least favorite contestants were Sarah and Jessica so I was hoping they'd both get sent home.  I actually liked Rudy so I was sorry to see him go although I can understand Anne's decision.  Sarah looks, acts and sounds like she's playing a character on Laugh In.  

Either Timmy is a very quick learner or he had experience coming into the show.  His knife skills are quite good.

The most astonishing thing (to me) is that I'm finding Robert Irvine tolerable.  I'm never going to like him but at least I can watch him on this without wanting to throw something at the television.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, mlp said:

My least favorite contestants were Sarah and Jessica so I was hoping they'd both get sent home.  I actually liked Rudy so I was sorry to see him go although I can understand Anne's decision.  Sarah looks, acts and sounds like she's playing a character on Laugh In.  

Either Timmy is a very quick learner or he had experience coming into the show.  His knife skills are quite good.

The most astonishing thing (to me) is that I'm finding Robert Irvine tolerable.  I'm never going to like him but at least I can watch him on this without wanting to throw something at the television.

Sarah is, to put it diplomatically, bizarre.  My impression from the get-go was total plant from Central Casting.  

There's a Timmy in every single televised food competition,  Yawn.

I agree - in this format Irvine is tolerable.  Look what he's dealing with, and he doesn't have endless family counseling sessions.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Superclam said:

I'm not particularly squeamish, but cleaning squid might push me over. I'm very surprised the Italian guy from New Jersey doesn't like veal. 

I once cleaned squid over 30 years ago.  Never did it again, scarred for life.  And I'm not particularly squeamish about seafood either.  The Italian guy from Jersey said he had veal once and it sounded like he had something dreadful.  Why he never went to a restaurant to find out how it SHOULD taste is ridiculous.

6 hours ago, Superclam said:

I'll be surprised if Sarah isn't in the final. It looks to me like they're setting up a Sarah-Timmy final. 

That's my take on it too.  When Anne told her she "needs someone to represent her that's yada yada", it showed me she's seriously seeing her as a contender for the role.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

The Italian guy from Jersey said he had veal once and it sounded like he had something dreadful.  Why he never went to a restaurant to find out how it SHOULD taste is ridiculous.

I was like that with steak, until I had it at a restaurant. 

Edited by Superclam

I am not very squeamish, about the only "ick" factors that would get me would be insects - but that would be way over the top for Worst Cooks.  I thought most of them did pretty well on dealing with what they were given!  And it's always fun to watch them make pasta, which is actually not difficult at all (maybe because I grew up making homemade pasta?)

I actually purposefully re-try my least favorite ingredients every couple years and/or in different preparations to see if they are really that bad.  That's how I completely turned around on calamari and olives...  though I contend that there is no way to improve fennel, because it will always taste like fennel, and I hate everything licorice/fennel/anise flavored (OK, I will eat anise-flavored pizzelle if that flavor is mild).  

Hey Food Network, it may be pronounced "gooey duck", but it's spelled geoduck.

Janese, please stop with the cold shoulder tops, they are not not flattering.  Also, being a bad cook is not an excuse not to know how to use cutlery.  Cut your food into bite sized pieces, please, rather than picking up the whole piece with your fork and taking a bite out of it.

• Love 6
On 9/3/2018 at 4:16 PM, spiderpig said:

Sarah is, to put it diplomatically, bizarre.  My impression from the get-go was total plant from Central Casting.  

Agree! I think of her as the "Unwoke Okie." "Ah got to larn ta cook so ah kin marry a cowboy!" Give me an effin' break. I have friends from Oklahoma and none of them sound like that! What year is this? Honey, you want a cowboy, shell out some $$$ and mosey over to the Pioneer Woman's (ugh) special mediocre cookin' at her ranch.

I call total shenanigans on this one.

• Love 3
On 9/3/2018 at 2:54 PM, mlp said:

My comment to my hubs was "MY knife skills aren't that good, and I've been cooking since I was 5." (I'm 70)  He's a total ringer. Just like the guys from last season who just won the Food Truck Race. 

I'm done. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Colleenna said:

My comment to my hubs was "MY knife skills aren't that good, and I've been cooking since I was 5." (I'm 70)  He's a total ringer. Just like the guys from last season who just won the Food Truck Race. 

I'm done. 

Usually by this time in the season the ringers become more apparent.  Unfortunately, this is not new for this series.  I think only the first couple of seasons were legit.

• Love 2
On 9/4/2018 at 11:46 AM, Hellga said:

I am not very squeamish, about the only "ick" factors that would get me would be insects - but that would be way over the top for Worst Cooks.  I thought most of them did pretty well on dealing with what they were given!  And it's always fun to watch them make pasta, which is actually not difficult at all (maybe because I grew up making homemade pasta?)

Would you watch the show if they brought in meats like alligator and pig ears next week? 

On 9/3/2018 at 8:46 PM, HyeChaps said:

Awwwww Rudy. 

I actually liked Rudy too. He was a natural.

31 minutes ago, Simon47 said:

Would you watch the show if they brought in meats like alligator and pig ears next week? 

Why not?  It's not the most practical thing to spend time on - but they aren't bad at all. I don't like pig ears myself, but gator is perfectly good when properly cooked.

I didn't care much for Rudy but I did have the feels for him when it was revealed he ate testicles. Sorta hilarious but disturbing at the same time. Weird about Carla hating avocado. Yum

6 hours ago, rhys said:

I didn't care much for Rudy but I did have the feels for him when it was revealed he ate testicles. Sorta hilarious but disturbing at the same time. Weird about Carla hating avocado. Yum

What's weird about hating avocado? They're disgusting. They have the texture of lard. 

• Love 1