Type keyword(s) to search

Annual TV Awards Talk

4 hours ago, blueray said:

I am happy that Millie Bobby Brown was nominated for something. I doubt she'll win but still exciting. She really did an amazing job with Eleven.

I was happy for her, too, although it's a little surprising considering she had relatively little dialog. I'm honestly not sure if it's more difficult for an actor to convey feelings without words, or easier.

I've always liked TCA's choices better (not least because it was the one and only award that appreciated and rewarded Justified), and this year, too, it seems that its nominations are more creative and reasonable than those of the Emmys.

Most egregious Emmy snubs this year, for me, are Kyle Chandler (Bloodline), Michael McKean (Better Call Saul), and Michael Stuhlbarg (Fargo). Someone wrote in the Better Call Saul thread that Emmys tend to get "lazy" and keep nominating the same people over and over again. I wholeheartedly agree with that comment.

I could rant forever, but I'm going to get off my soapbox now...

The choices awards tend to be popularity contests which is both good and bad.  They are voted on by people who actually like and more the likely watch the shows voted on.   The Emmys there is no guarantee that the voters have ever heard of the show before voting day.   

• Love 1
On July 17, 2017 at 5:54 PM, nosleepforme said:

Sarah Michelle Gellar said this great thing about filming the silent episode "Hush" on Buffy where she and the entire cast of Buffy were excited that they didn't have to learn any lines for a week, only to realize that it was the hardest episode that they had to do.

It surprises more that Eleven is nominated, because the EMMYs are usually not in the mood to recognize performances of child actors, much the same way they are not excited about recognizing sci-fi shows and anything that airs/aired on TheCW/WB. (Not even Netflix could break the WB curse and get Gilmore Girls an acting nomination for Graham.)

I lean towards thinking that conveying emotion with minimal dialogue is more impressive but it can be a delicate balance.  And for what it's worth, I always thought the real acting snub during the Gilmore Girls heyday was Kelly Bishop.  She is Emily Gilmore.  

• Love 1

Top ten lists are also starting to proliferate and I saw a couple that included Merritt Wever for Godless, which pleased me. She almost single-handedly kept me watching that show and her portrayal of Maggie was mesmerizing, especially considering how different that character was from her role in Nurse Jackie.

Writers Guild Nominations have many old chestnuts. Their category for new series includes GLOW, American Vandal, The Deuce, The Handmaid's Tale and Ozark. The Comedy/Variety Talk category has eight shows, so Stephen Colbert being left off seems odd. (Conan, Bee, Kimmel, Oliver, Meyers, Maher, Noah, and Jefferies.)

SAG nominations.

Not exactly a lot of new ground broken but I was happy to see some recognition for GLOW. Attention for any of the males in Godless annoys me since the show was promoted as a vehicle for its female stars but kinda wasn't. Total sour grapes on my part!

I have nothing at all against Sean Hayes, but can't he play that role with his eyes closed at this point?

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries

• Benedict Cumberbatch, Sherlock
  • Jeff Daniels, Godless
  • Robert De Niro, The Wizard of Lies
  • Geoffrey Rush, Genius
  • Alexander Skarsgard, Big Little Lies

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries

• Nicole Kidman, Big Little Lies
  • Jessica Lange, Feud: Bette & Joan
  • Susan Sarandon, Feud: Bette & Joan
  • Reese Witherspoon, Big Little Lies
  • Laura Dern, Big Little Lies

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series

• Jason Bateman, Ozark
  • Sterling K. Brown, This Is Us
  • Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones
  • David Harbour, Stranger Things
  • Bob Odenkirk, Better Call Saul

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series

• Millie Bobby Brown, Stranger Things
  • Claire Foy, The Crown
  • Elisabeth Moss, The Handmaid's Tale
  • Robin Wright, House of Cards
  • Laura Linney, Ozark

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series

• Anthony Anderson, Black-ish
  • Aziz Ansari, Master of None
  • Larry David, Curb Your Enthusiasm
  • Sean Hayes, Will & Grace
  • William H. Macy, Shameless
  • Marc Maron, GLOW

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series

• Uzo Aduba, Orange Is the New Black
  • Alison Brie, GLOW
  • Jane Fonda, Grace and Frankie
  • Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep
  • Lily Tomlin, Grace and Frankie

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series

• The Crown
  • Game of Thrones
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • Stranger Things
  • This Is Us

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series

• Black-ish
  • Curb Your Enthusiasm
  • GLOW
  • Orange is the New Black
  • Veep

Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Television Series

• Game of Thrones
  • GLOW
  • Homeland
  • Stranger Things
  • The Walking Dead
Edited by 2727

The TV Critics Association winners for 2018. From the Hollywood Reporter: "In perhaps a sign of the quality of programming in the Peak TV era, there wasn't a single repeat winner from last year."

PROGRAM OF THE YEAR: The Americans
OUTSTANDING NEW PROGRAM: Killing Eve
OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA: The Americans
INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA: Keri Russell
OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN COMEDY: The Good Place
INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN COMEDY: Rachel Brosnahan
OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN MOVIE OR MINISERIES: American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace
OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN SKETCH/VARIETY SHOWS: Last Week Tonight
OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN NEWS AND INFORMATION: Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown
OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN REALITY: Queer Eye
OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN YOUTH PROGRAMMING: Sesame Street

The Good Place didn't even get nominated for the Emmy for outstanding comedy.  (It got a couple acting nominations.)

Anthony Bourdain got a posthumous nod from the TV critics?  I've never seen that show and knew almost nothing about Bourdain when he died.  Still, this somehow makes me feel good.

• Love 1