Type keyword(s) to search

OUAT vs. Other Fairy Tales: Compare & Contrast

• Start Topic

I draw the line at vampires. 

I'm just looking for a non supernatural villain at this point, or a non supernatural resolution to a problem where people can come together to solve their problems using their heads. 

I'd like for all the magic to get sucked out of Storybrooke, and everyone is on equal footing. 

I still find myself wishing they'd find a way to do a fish out of water story again.

Like everyone goes to a land that is all about science with no magic (Whale's world or something more futuristic).

Or some high powered business man comes to town.  But I can't think of one that would work.  Midas or Cruella could have worked but that ship sailed.  Someone like a David Zanatos (Gargoyles) but that isn't well known enough. 

If they went the animal in human form via curse route ala Gus, I think they could do something interesting with the Jungle Book.  I mean the possibilities of Kaa alone...But they would have to really nail the characterization for that to work and the show isn't tightly enough written for that..

• Love 1

I finally saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

I couldn't help but draw parallels between Kylo Ren and Regina. Person uses supernatural force to become a tyrannical leader, is taught by a sinister master, then tearfully kills father because he's holding them back. Oh, they're whiny too.

• Love 5

I finally saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

I couldn't help but draw parallels between Kylo Ren and Regina. Person uses supernatural force to become a tyrannical leader, is taught by a sinister master, then tearfully kills father because he's holding them back. Oh, they're whiny too.

Don't forget the

temper tantrums and village massacres.

• Love 3

I still find myself wishing they'd find a way to do a fish out of water story again.

Like everyone goes to a land that is all about science with no magic (Whale's world or something more futuristic).

Whale's world had magic; it was just much weaker than the magic that existed in the Enchanted Forest.

Oh yes, the village massacre. I was going to put that but I forgot about it! Kills guards for no reason when he's upset too.

You just know some of Regina's black knights have performed the Stormtroopers' "back away slowly" maneuver a time or two when Regina was cackling angrily at her mirror. Oh, and speaking of Sidney, Regina accused him of being a traitor when he turned against her after she forcefully enslaved and imprisoned him just like Kylo called Finn a traitor for turning against the order that kidnapped him as a child and conditioned him to be a Stormtrooper.

• Love 2

I recently watched Jessica Jones.

Spoilers ahead----

The Jessica/Cage romance reminded me so much of Outlaw Queen. Luke Cage's reaction when he found the truth about how his wife died was the kind of reaction I would have liked to see from Robin. Him angry at Regina, lashing out, feeling conflicted. Not to dismiss it out of hand like Robin did. He didn't flinch even when he found out Zelena had killed Marian in the new timeline. He was all about how he and Regina could be together now. Really, what was the point of introducing such a conflict when the writers had no intention to explore it?  

• Love 1

I was watching Mysteries at the Castle last night on the Travel Channel, and they had a story that sounded somewhat familiar. This is a show that tells interesting stories associated with various castles, manors, and other kinds of places. One last night was about a castle in Scotland, where in the 16th century there was a beautiful earl's daughter who fell in love with a stableboy, but her father wanted her to marry well and gain a prestigious position. Though this one went in the opposite direction of Regina's story. The stableboy was banished and the daughter was locked in a tower until her father could find a suitable match for her. She decided to escape to be with her stableboy and was climbing out a window on a rope when her father learned what she was up to. He came running to stop her, found her on the rope heading out of the tower, yelled at her, and startled her into losing her grip so she fell to her death.

So I guess there were young noblewomen in real life who fell in love with stableboys, with tragic results.

The story didn't say anything about whether the stableboy devoted his life to getting revenge on the servant who mentioned to the earl that the daughter had obtained a length of rope.

• Love 3

And with high profile casting for Mary Poppins, I still think that's who Rumple's mother is.  Creepy woman who descends upon other people's children while abandoning her own.  True villain, that is.  And the quest for her magical umbrella could last an entire arc.  And when the umbrella connects with the magical chimney sweep brush... OMG, the darkness.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

OMG Lily's dad is Pete's dragon who went about sowing his wild oats after Pete aka Peter was eaten by his girlfriend Ruby (she ate her last boyfriend if you all hadn't heard). It all makes sense now. Or maybe Peter was the dragon and Ruby who is both Little Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Wolf ate a guy who was both a human and a dragon.

Or was he Peter Pan's dragon? Green is his color.

I for one can't wait to find out!

• Love 1
(edited)

I caught up with the second season of Gargoyles. The first season established a world with lots of shiny toys: Xanatos has more money than could possibly be in circulation. He invests it in a cyborg guerilla team of television stars, actual robots, genetic engineering (they experiment on random kidnapped homeless people and maybe that cuts costs), and the stone statues that come to life with magic. Also there are Shakespearean fairies that do magic at everybody else at the worst times, in the most inconvenient ways.

Could that be a mess? Kind of, but not nearly as much as it could have been. There's no extensive exposition, just a mention that in Gargoyle lore there are three races of people (humans, gargoyles, fae) and that energy is energy whether that's science or sorcery. And...that's actually all the info that's needed to make stuff make sense. Everything else is shown and inferred, such as the consciousness of artificial intelligence that allow a computer to enter a spirit world, that pagan deities are a sort of fae, what the eye amulet phoenix thing actually does, why the creepy three sisters keep doing that creepy thing, why the magus couldn't do the thing with the book, and how Brazilian gargoyles look more like snakes than bats.

Sure, people pick on the physics of the stone-to-skin thing, and I raised an eyebrow at the genetic mush of Demona and Eliza not taking 30 years to grow to maturity (I didn't buy it in Resident Evil 5, either, that you can grow into a giant whale-squid in like 5 seconds without eating anything), and I did a double-take at the reveal that

the secretary guy was Puck the whole time

But for a show that's basically an Everything But The Kitchen Sink fantasy, it held up really well.

And they could have stayed in the city, the gargoyles helping Eliza to bust Z-villains but Y-villains get in the way and Xanatos muahahas about it all at the end of every episode. Everyone in the police force who isn't Eliza remains none the wiser. Hudson has a senior moment, Broadway eats something, Bronx acts like a dog, and jalapeños exist for comic relief. Somebody was Puck in disguise. Just get a dart board.

Instead, these writers:

1.) Broke the formula, to
2.) develop the plot of a story set in a wider world (dropping hints of, like, Fox's baby to come, or what's Oberon really up to)
3.) and paced it well enough that it seemed more about developing the characters

There's a lot of Cool Stuff That's Just Cool, but I feel as though they knew the heart of their story and wouldn't get distracted by their own toys.

Each episode is a 20-minute cartoon, not a medium that baits accolades like many dramatic television shows vie for. As someone who missed this show the first time around because I thought the animation was kind of ugly and it was trying too hard to be goth...I've got to say, it isn't only the nostalgia factor that has given this show a resurgence in popularity. It never goes too dark just for the sake of being edgy and cool, or at least not without something to balance it out. The world in-show is a lovely sandbox that I just want to cozy up in.

Also, family issues are handled with far more realistic and well-paced emotional beats. Vengeance makes for a bigger theme, no surprise, as this show's main gimmick is more Alas Thou Hast Betrayeth Me than hey everybody's related. It might be kind of weird when Oberon goes, "You could have killed me but you only tortured me instead. I shall reward you." But he's a fairy, and they're supposed to have their own logic that isn't earth logic.

Edited by Faemonic
  • Love 1

With the trend of making "grown up", live-action versions of their animated properties, Gargoyles seems like the perfect property for Disney to adapt; especially with today's special effects.

• Love 2

With the trend of making "grown up", live-action versions of their animated properties, Gargoyles seems like the perfect property for Disney to adapt; especially with today's special effects.

While they've been loyal enough to some adaptations, I'm worried that they'll try to stuff Gargoyles with adultier adultness and Gritty Edgy Reboot stuff, or try to put in a twist or a new perspective. The original series was pitched just right in terms of moral ambiguity, and this show didn't live-or-die by the twists. Twist happened often, but when they happened...they just happened to happen, and entertainingly too, like comic relief moments. It's also one of the few sci-fi fantasy meshes I actually like, so striking that balance might be difficult to duplicate.

• Love 1
(edited)

Watched "Frenchman's Creek" starring Joan Fontaine tonight on tcm.

I could not stop thinking about the Hook/Milah/Rumple stuff, more so the hook/Milah stuff because there were so many similarities.

Joan's character was pretty much a fleshed out Milah.

Summary:

A bored/miserable Englishwoman leaves her husband (whom she fell out of love with) to basically escape to the countryside. Then she meets a French pirate. Of course they fall in love and she's always secretly meeting up with him. She even goes on short sailing trips with him.

She returns from a trip to find that her husband and his friend have arrived to see her and help the fellow men of the county capture/kill the French pirate. Basically she helps the pirate try to one-up the men and even helps in breaking the French pirate out of jail before he's hanged.

She was all set to sail away with him until she ultimately couldn't go through with it because she realized she needed to stay with her two young kids.

I feel like she was the Milah we never quite got to see.

To clarify some things:

-her husband was more like pre-DO Rumple (a bit weak and wimpy, nice enough i suppose) but she fell out of love with him and to make matters worse, his best friend was creepy and kept trying to put the moves on her (her husband was too oblivious to notice). So those were the reasons she left.

But still:

-a miserable wife

-runs away from nice but spineless husband

-meets a suave pirate, both fall in love

-always meeting up with him

-goes on sailing adventures

-confident, smart, can handle herself

-was going to ditch everyone (including her young children) to be with the man she loved, but unlike Milah, she couldn't go through with it in the end.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 2

Description of that show:

After imagines what Aurora’s life would be like after waking up from her 100-year sleeping curse. She has her prince, but her family is dead and her kingdom has fallen into the wrong hands. In order to regain control of her birthright, she’ll need to transform from a timid princess to a powerful warrior.

Why would her family be dead? If everyone's dead except her, it really reduces the power of the Sleeping Beauty story. She's just some random princess with no connection to anyone becoming a Warrior Princess fighting to get her kingdom back.

• Love 1

Description of that show:

Why would her family be dead? If everyone's dead except her, it really reduces the power of the Sleeping Beauty story. She's just some random princess with no connection to anyone becoming a Warrior Princess fighting to get her kingdom back.

I guess they forgot that when Aurora went under the sleeping curse, the fairies extended it to the entire kingdom so that her family, her friends, and her subjects would still be alive and there to greet her when she awoke.

• Love 3

Fairy tales tended to have numerous different versions, so the power can be pretty resilient. Remember, the Disney version actually did away with the 100 years of slumber entirely, because it was the worst cruel torture that only Maleficent could think up for Philip to rescue Aurora after he got old and gross and his washboard abs had melted. It's not as though Aurora liked Philip for his personality or anything! Sarcasm aside, you understand why I think that reduces the power of the Sleeping Beauty story, even though it more than made up for it by pairing Aurora up with someone that she had actually met, to make it True Love's Kiss instead of, say, in the other versions, it's some creepy random prince with a fetish for comatose or possibly dead women...impregnating the Sleeping Beauty with twins and then apparently just getting bored with her being unconscious so he just leaves the enchanted princess alone, she gives birth, and then one of the newborn babies sucks the spindle-poison out because the baby was looking for milk, and she wakes up and The End. (But even the creepy prince who completely disappears after was worthy/destined, because he got past the magic thorn-vines or whatever? Eep.)

I remember watching Decendants and Aurora's mother took a page out of Mary Margaret's book and began crying about how she missed her daughter's first steps. I actually had to remind myself that this was contingent on the Disney version where King Stephan had Aurora fostered off, not from many other versions of the tale where the princess actually was raised by her parents until she encounters a deaf elderly and innocent spinster who lives in the castle tower. Tchaikovsky re-wrote the biddy into the evil fairy in disguise who cursed the princess in the first place, which I think reduces the power because why would that baddie even wait for sixteen years?

Actually, I wonder if the Disney version didn't invent that the Sleeping Beauty's family and kingdom all fell asleep with her. Instead of asking why Aurora's family/subjects would be dead, I'm more inclined to wonder why they would be alive in any given version. If she's got an axe to grind against a certain fairy, then stunting her in adolescence, essentially aging her family to death, and robbing her of subjects then only leaving a throne and crown to rule with (and those aren't going to mind the crops, or ride to battle under the banner of her royal house) would sure do it. It can't be that much less empowering than The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty, which I vaguely recall embarrassed even Anne Rice who wrote it.

Actually, I wonder if the Disney version didn't invent that the Sleeping Beauty's family and kingdom all fell asleep with her. Instead of asking why Aurora's family/subjects would be dead, I'm more inclined to wonder why they would be alive in any given version.

That was in Perrault's version, as well as in Grimm.

That was in Perrault's version, as well as in Grimm.

Ah! Thanks for the reminder/correction.

(...really, though, why would they have been left alive? Peasants aren't important, neither are royals on their way out.)

(edited)

I just re-read the two stories, and in Perrault's version, strangely everyone in the castle EXCEPT the king and the queen was put under a sleeping spell... her parents kissed her goodbye and left the castle.  In Grimm's version, the king and queen fell asleep along with the rest of the castle.

So maybe this show is taking the inspiration from Perrault's version more.

PERRAULT:

The fairy set off at once, and within an hour her chariot of fire, drawn by dragons, was seen approaching.

The king handed her down from her chariot, and she approved of all that he had done. But being gifted with great powers of foresight, she bethought herself that when the princess came to be awakened, she would be much distressed to find herself all alone in the old castle. And this is what she did.

She touched with her wand everybody (except the king and queen) who was in the castle -- governesses, maids of honor, ladies-in-waiting, gentlemen, officers, stewards, cooks, scullions, errand boys, guards, porters, pages, footmen. She touched likewise all the horses in the stables, with their grooms, the big mastiffs in the courtyard, and little Puff, the pet dog of the princess, who was lying on the bed beside his mistress. The moment she had touched them they all fell asleep, to awaken only at the same moment as their mistress. Thus they would always be ready with their service whenever she should require it. The very spits before the fire, loaded with partridges and pheasants, subsided into slumber, and the fire as well. All was done in a moment, for the fairies do not take long over their work.

Then the king and queen kissed their dear child, without waking her, and left the castle.  

At the end of a hundred years the throne had passed to another family from that of the sleeping princess.

http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/perrault01.html

GRIMM:

She had no sooner touched the spindle when the magic curse was fulfilled, and she pricked herself in the finger. The instant that she felt the prick she fell onto a bed that was standing there, and she lay there in a deep sleep. And this sleep spread throughout the entire castle. The king and queen, who had just returned home, walked into the hall and began falling asleep, and all of their attendants as well. The horses fell asleep in their stalls, the dogs in the courtyard, the pigeons on the roof, the flies on the walls, and even the fire on the hearth flickered, stopped moving, and fell asleep. The roast stopped sizzling. The cook, who was about to pull kitchen boy's hair for having done something wrong, let him loose and fell asleep. The wind stopped blowing, and outside the castle not a leaf was stirring in the trees.

http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/grimm050.html

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

I've been watching clips on Youtube from the video game "Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep".  

I find it funny since there is so much talk of "light" and "darkness".  One can hardly tell between this show and a video game...

"You're too clouded by darkness.  You'll never defeat a heart filled with light"

"As long as there is light, there will always be darkness"

"You can't fight light with darkness"

"What really makes someone a hero isn't what they wear and what they say, it's the things they do and how they treat everyone."

"You think being strong is the same as being a hero"

In some ways, I found the crossovers with the Disney movies more fun.  The fairy godmother and the fairies in Sleeping Beauty actually give sage advice instead of being killed/stupid/omitted/useless.  Heroes are portrayed heroically and the characters of the game help them on their quest as they fell into various moments from the Disney movies.  It was nice to see Cinderella actually inspiring someone instead of being some dimwit who randomly signs contracts.  Of course, these characters were all 2D and talked robotically, but I surprisingly found it to be an interesting diversion while I was cleaning.

^ I love the KH series. It's pretty good. I own KH and KH2. Sadly, I wasn't able to continue on with the series because I couldn't afford the 8 zillion new devices you had to buy to keep up. KH3 (which isn't even out yet) was originally supposed to be released on the PS3.

But yeah, lots of darkness talk just like in Ouat. Sometimes I think all the Disney stuff was integrated better in the games than Once.

There's a town in the first KH game that's actually similar to Storybrooke in a way. Traverse Town is occupied by displaced disney and final fantasy characters after their worlds got swallowed up by darkness (or something similar to that, it's been years since I've played the game). So it's kind of like how the characters in Once were uprooted to Storybrooke.

Honestly, the KH Traverse Town was a sadder situation and I felt bad for them more than the Once characters.

Edited by HoodlumSheep

I was laughing when they were fighting Cerberus tonight because all I could think was that they'd never played Kingdom Hearts. I know how to beat Cerberus alone. I've done it. You just have to roll a lot to stay away from the fiery things on the ground and beat him on the head with the key blade.

• Love 1
(edited)

I rewatched part of the "Hercules" movie today thinking it would enhance tonight's episode.  Not so much... but I wonder if they will use some of Hades' motivation, or if Hades will have some bigger plan like he did in the movie.  Right now, he just seems to want them gone... and doing little to nothing about it.

Edited by Camera One

I don't know what the industry politics are, but I'm thinking that Princess Kairi and San (from Disney-distributed Ghibli film Princess Mononoke) are more the respective properties of Square Enix and Studio Ghibli. And that used to make me sad that I probably wouldn't see them on OUaT but now I'm like Phew! Dodged a bullet!

• Love 1

We've been talking about how dark this show has gone lately, and it usually is brought up that the Grimm tales were actually pretty dark. However, I think a big difference is that they were short, short stories. You have to really flesh them out, add subplots and/or musical numbers to turn one of those stories into a full-length movie. In their original form, they were only a few pages. In oral storytelling, depending on what the storyteller added (musical numbers?), they might have been a half-hour tale. That meant that you only suffered through the misery of the protagonist for a little while before the villain was decisively defeated, the hero was vindicated, there was probably a wedding, and then there was a happily ever after. The whole thing was very cathartic -- a bit of serious suffering going into the depths, then justice and triumph, with the reassurance that all was well with the world.

Since this is an ongoing TV series, it's hard to do that. The true happily ever after can't come until the end of the series. Until then, the heroes are going to have things to overcome and villains to face. But it does seem like they're on a downward trajectory.

In the first season, it worked pretty well when a lot of it was an anthology form -- basically, Touched by an Emma, in which each episode involved Emma helping one of the Storybrookers find their happy ending, so while Regina was still out there being a villain, Emma did get small triumphs. Each episode had a happy ending. It also helped that Emma wasn't the one doing most of the suffering. Her life wasn't perfect and she had some tribulations, but the Sufferer in Chief was Mary Margaret because she was the target of Regina's vengeance. She was the one with the unending misery.

They're sort of repeating that pattern in the current arc, but it's naturally going to have a darker tone because the people they're helping are all already dead. There's no real "saving" them. They're just getting a better death experience. And meanwhile, we have Emma suffering because she knows Hook is suffering, and Hook's suffering involves great amounts of blood and physical pain, as well as psychological/mental torture. Even darker is the fact that this is Emma and Hook's "reward" for resisting the Darkness and sacrificing themselves to save the town from the Dark One.

The villains on this show don't generally get the kind of karmic justice we see in fairy tales, the heroes seem to be rewarded for their good deeds by getting to suffer again some more, and because of the serial nature of the storytelling, even the heroes' triumphs are marred at the end of each episode with a little cliffhanger suggesting that all isn't really well.

So, I'd say that overall, the tone is much darker than the Grimm stories, and with Hook right now they're getting close to matching some of the physical violence. He's on a level with the kind of treatment the villains get at the end of Grimm stories, usually when they get done to them what they proposed doing to the falsely accused heroes.

• Love 1
(edited)

I watched the first half of "Into the Woods".  I know the original Broadway musical was critically acclaimed, but I'm not a huge fan of it, especially the second half, which always dragged for me.

I didn't think the movie adaptation was as bad as the reviews said, probably since I'm not too invested in the source.  I couldn't care less they did away with the sexual innuendo.  I thought the visuals in the first half were fine, and I wish "Once" had the budget for that kind of set/location.  The singing and choreography weren't too bad, and were fairly fun to watch.  I have always been more interested in adaptations of original fairy tales like they did in the first half along with the mash-ups, so maybe I won't even bother watching the second half, LOL.

Edited by Camera One

A&E's Frozen 2 Song List

Let It Go (Forgive Them, They ONLY Tried To Kill You 500 Times)

For the First Time in Forever, You Haven't Betrayed Me, It Must Be True Love

Love Is An Open Door... We Love All Ships And Every Door Will Open At Least Once Per Season

In Summer Crazy Fandoms Will Invent Lies Because They Have Nothing Else To Do

Regina And Rumple Are Fixer Uppers, Murderers Make The Best Mates

Do You Want To Build A Snowman To Stand Beside Snow And Charming In The Background Doing Nothing

• Love 1