Type keyword(s) to search

The Night Shift in the Media

I'm curious to see whether the ratings for Night Shift as a spring series are good enough to get a renewal.  The first episode got creamed by Castle and NCIS: Los Angeles, despite having a massive lead-in from The Voice.  OTOH, it pulled in higher numbers than State of Affairs did in the same slot, and must be cheaper to produce, because they don't need to pay for Katherine Heigl.

I guess Izzy loses to Michael

• Love 1
NBC | The Voice ( 14.3 mil/3.8) slipped three tenths in the demo, while The Night Shift ( 6.3 mil/1.4) added some eyeballs but ticked down in the demo from its premiere.

TVLine

Scoops, please, Step Up Women's Network's 8th Annual Inspiration Awardson Rookie Blue, Chicago P.D. or The Night Shift. – Debbie

I choose… Night Shift, since a lotta people aren’t aware that NBC’s sophomore medical drama will be back so soon (on Monday, Feb. 23 at 10/9c).

I can report that NCIS alum Sarah Jane Morris has booked a multi-episode arc as war vet TC’s sister-in-law, Annie, who has been in free fall ever since the death of her husband. TC has supported Annie through her hard times and even put her through nursing school, but she may be concealing a potentially deadly problem….

Did anyone else miss this because I apparently did. 

Thad's got a wife.

TVLine

Ratings from March 16:

The Voice (12.6 mil/3.4) was down 10 percent, while The Night Shift (5.4 mil/1.3) was flat.

TVLine

Edited by Ohmo

Ratings for the Tuesday 3/24 episode were not that great.

I'm not surprised. Many shows don't perform well when moved, and if I didn't come here, I wouldn't have known there was another one on Tuesday.

Edited by Happy Harpy

Darn this time slot! I like to imagine that if I was able to watch live, that two-tenths would be made up every week! :P Alas, family members are hooked on all versions of NCIS...

The viewership is stable or even tends to go up, I hope it counts for something somewhere.

The show doesn't perform horribly compared to the other scripted NBC ones; I think that a renewal (for summer, I think it fits better there) is still likely. Unfortunately, there's a Chicago Med in preparation, backdoor pilot airs soon, and with the success of the Chicago franchise, I wonder whether they might cancel the Night Shift because they won't want to have two medical dramas.

I'm hoping they would at least consider putting back into the summer, before outright canceling it.  While I do find the show enjoyable on some levels, it still feels weird having this amongst all the other spring dramas and whatnot.

Then again, NBC's ratings are all over the place, so I have no idea if this show is safe or not.

Additionally, it appears "Runner," the pilot Adam Rodriguez left to do, did not get picked up, so maybe we'll get him back in San Antonio?

Please, said everyone ever?

• Love 6

It's official now: the gang will be back for a third season.  No word if it's staying at this spot or if they're moving back to the summer or not.

Per this, it has it listed under summer.

I like that placement better anyway.

What I want is more of those BSC promotional images.

The Night Shift will scrub in for Season 3 on Wednesday, June 1 at 10/9c, NBC has (finally) announced.

Starring Eoin Macken, Jill Flint, Ken Leung, Brendan Fehr, Robert Bailey Jr., JR Lemon, Tanaya Beatty and Scott Wolf, the midseason medical drama — which was the No. 1 new series during the summer of 2014 — follows a team of doctors and nurses at San Antonio Memorial’s emergency room.

TV Line

I don't think the actress who plays Krista is listed.  She's currently playing Vita on Nashville, but I'll be peeved if we lose Krista.  I love her friendship with Drew.

• Love 2

Chavez, Krista and Ragosa took the same bus as Landry, it seems? Please tell me where it goes, so that I can watch that show instead.

I love Topher, Scott and Drew but:

-Drew is away from the main cast and I'm quite wary of Afghanistan-upon-Hollywood.

-If Scott and Drew's position on the S3 poster is an indication of their importance this season, I'm not going to like it.

-I see no indication in the promo that Topher will do anything but play second fiddle to the main couple, as always.

So they aren't incentive enough.

Damn, no Krista.  That blows.  Ditto no Regosa.  That said, I'm intrigued by Drew's storyline.  I agree with Happy Happy that Middle Eastern military dynamics are often dicey as portrayed on TV.  This is The Night Shift, so I'm not expecting much.  However, I like that Drew's away from the cast in the sense that we'll get to see him in military service, which has always been important to him.  He's a good doctor, and it's not flipping Wonder Boy in Afghanistan.  Maybe it will be like watching a show within a show, cause I really don't care about TC. Jordan, Scott, or any of that.

Topher mentoring Paul could be interesting.  For me, it's going to be a crapshoot.  If it's only 10 minutes of Drew and the rest is Scott, Jordan, and TC, I'll likely not last long.  That female army doctor is probably supposed to be "nuKrista," and that's disappointing.  I would have preferred a handwave where Krista joins the army as a change-of-scenary post-Chavez and is somehow (magic handwave) posted in the same unit as Drew.

Grrrr.

After being disappointed by Code Black and semi-disappointed by Chicago Med, I was really looking forward to this returning.  Intellectually, I know what this show is, but at least it doesn't take itself too seriously (cf Code Black) and I like more than half the characters (cf Chicago Med).  Now they've mucked up the formula.  Again.

I just hope there will be enough absurdity to make up for the loss of Krista and Ragosa.  And we probably won't see Rick, either, because Luke Macfarlane is off doing Killjoys.

And we probably won't see Rick, either, because Luke Macfarlane is off doing Killjoys.

Killjoys started filming at least a month or so before The Night Shift, so I'm hoping Rick might make an appearance in the latter half of the season. Assuming Mercy Street isn't filming right away... Luke's a busy guy!

I have to say, I won't be disappointed if this show isn't renewed.  I just don't care as much about the characters anymore, especially TJ and Jordan, and the addition of snot-nosed intern just sent me over the edge.  I would miss Kenny and his fine self though.

Spoiler about Drew and Rick

Spoiler

Question: Will we see Rick (Luke Macfarlane) on the third season of The Night Shift? I need to see him with Drew, not just hear his name dropped every now and again! —Valentina
Ausiello: Affirmative. Macfarlane reprises his role for several episodes beginning Aug. 3, when Rick and Drew attempt to adopt a 14-year-old patient who has spent much of his young life in and out of foster care.

Ask Ausiello

Spoiler

Two gay men in Texas?  Good luck with that.  And while I think that's moving awfully quickly as they've only been married a few months, anything that puts more Rick on my screen is a good thing.

• Love 1

Well, that's a shame.  Given that he was 50% of the reason I stuck it out, I have to reevaluate now.  I just hope that he actually gets some kind of acknowledgement and just doesn't disappear into the night like Landry, Krista, and Ragosa.

I hope he has a new show lined up.  I'd watch it.

• Love 1

No more Topher?!  I'm done.  Drew is still terrific, but we're also going to probably lose the actress who plays Brianna.  She's a regular on Speechless.  Topher and Drew made the show for me.  Now, we're likely going to get TC, Jordan, and Scott 24/7.  I'm not interested.

• Love 1

Just heard about this.  This sucks.  I thought Ken Leung was easily the strongest actor on the show and Topher was one of the best characters.  I hope they at at least give him a proper send-off, and don't just have him disappear into the night like the other three mentioned above.

Interesting that it seems like it was Leung's decision.  I wonder if he has something else lined up, or he just simply isn't feeling this show anymore?  Either way, I'll still likely watch as long as it remains a summer series, but I think my enjoyment of it will take a hit.  If Drew ever goes though, then I likely will be done with it.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, CASinCHI said:

So what I don't get is it seems to be two separate shows now...the hospital in Austin and TC in the Middle East. What's that all about?

The military stuff is why I quit watching I think it was not long after last season started.  It seemed like it had the potential to take over a big part of the show and made it feel choppy. It reminded me of ER and what started with the Doctors Without Borders then grew to more with Carter.

• Love 1

Guess I don't watch NBC enough. I can't recall seeing any promos for this show, and consequently missed the first 6 episodes. Judging from what I read in episode threads, maybe I haven't missed much...

The Night Shift is no more.  While I'm not completely torn up over it, I'm slightly bummed since this was usually reliable summer fluff that I could enjoy on some levels, even if I poked fun at it.  Certainly would rank it over the shows that are just completely stupid.

Hope the cast moves on to bigger and better things (hey, I heard they are rebooting Roswell, so maybe they can somehow work Brendan Fehr into that!)

• Love 2

Alas.  At least it got a fairly satisfactory conclusion.

Still, as much as I snarked on it, I did have quite a bit of affection for it.  And I do think it's to the producers' and cast's credit that such a stupid show could have enough of an audience to make it four seasons.  In spite of everything, it did better than a lot of shows.

I'm pouring one out for you, Tragic Consequences.

• Love 3