Type keyword(s) to search

The Flash in the Media

Lisin
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Trini said:

Eh- from what I've seen, they're throwing his characterization and history (from The Flash) under the bus.

They really aren't.  In episode 3.15 Wally gets to deal with and express his feelings about Jesse - something he wasn't (and was likely never going to be) allowed to do on The Flash.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 2

I really wonder who writes these... latest Chronicles of Cisco:

To breach or not to breach.  Cheese-factor aside, that’s seriously all that I’ve been thinking about for the past couple of days since I was offered the job of a lifetime by Breacher.  Well, that and his Hawaiian-themed “I don’t give a damn” ensemble.  That… I will never allow myself to forget.

Still, could I really become Breacher 2.0?  Look at all the positives: I’d be the most fearsome badass across all 53 Earths, I’d get to see Gypsy ALL the dang time, and I’d finally fulfill my lifelong dream of dressing like Neo from The Matrix all day, err day.

Short interview with Miranda MacDougall (Izzy Bowin):

“I did definitely read The Flash comics just to kind of get into the environment in which I was going to be playing,” says MacDougall. “So, Izzy Bowin isn’t necessarily taken from the Flash comics. However, there was a character named Isaac Bowen who was a man, and he had similar powers. What we’ve done with the show is kind of done a gender swap and updated it a little bit.”

Unlike the comic book series, The Fiddler does not ally with The Thinker but is possessed by the show’s big bad. MacDougall pulls double-duty portraying DeVoe after falling to him in battle.

“There is the main actor, who does an incredible job at playing Clifford DeVoe. I really looked to him to kind of looked to him to look at his behaviour, his gestures, the way he carries himself,” she says.

8 hours ago, adora721 said:

There are changes coming to the Arrowverse management: http://deadline.com/2018/04/arrow-beth-schwartz-new-showrunner-wendy-mericle-exits-marc-guggenheim-executive-consultant-arrow-legends-of-tomorrow-1202366373/

Wendy Mericle is leaving; Marc Guggenheim is no longer "LoT" or "Arrow" show runner- he's now a consultant. Todd Helbing remains on "The Flash".

Good news all around! I just hope that Aaron will come back to The Flash!

Quotes from the cast about the reaction to the latest death:

“Barry’s kind of in denial about his role in Ralph’s death,” Gustin says. “He’s taking it pretty hard, but he’s kind of repressing it a little bit and wants to keep moving, because we still have DeVoe to deal with. Barry has some guilt that he feels just because he feels like he didn’t do everything that he could do, and he pushed Ralph too hard. It feels just like another person that died because of Barry.” Hence, don’t expect Barry to tussle with DeVoe again right away, as the team’s loss will set them back. “It’s kind of getting in the way of dealing with DeVoe for a couple episodes, just because Barry is having a hard time dealing with both of those things at the same time,” Gustin teases.

Latest Chronicles of Cisco:

Oh where oh where can my cold powers be… a foe took ‘em away from me… Well, not me, Caitlin. But the Pearl Jam song in my noggin only works in the first person. Here’s the 411 – a meta named Melting Point stole the Killer Frost right out of Caitlin and I’m gonna find it if it kills me. The rub is that Melting Point doesn’t keep the powers he hijacks. He sends them to other unsuspecting people. What kind of freaking power is that? Imagine walking down the street eating a biscuit and suddenly you’re a meta-human! If only DeVoe hadn’t gotten to Melting Point I could ask him more about how to track down Caitlin’s powers. Looks like it’s all on me.

Candice on the cover and in Bello magazine!

Screen-Shot-2018-04-20-at-9.48.13-AM-768

I think the interview probably happened earlier in the season/last year.

As with all strong relationships, each person tends to bring out the very best in the other. So how does this mutual enhancement play out for the CW’s favorite married super-couple? “I think Iris definitely keeps Barry grounded. He’s dealing with so many superhuman elements everyday of his life, and Iris is a grounding force for him and she keeps him down to earth. And the other way around, Barry inspires Iris to fight the good fight and protect the people of the city in her own way, in the same way that Barry puts his life on the line everyday. I think she’s incredibly inspired by that.”

As one of the CW’s most successful series, we asked Candice what she feels is the ‘secret sauce’ that has given The Flash so much longevity. “We’re in our fourth season, and I think the show is still unique in its own amazing way. We aim for heart, humanness and spectacle, whereas I think a lot of the other shows can be quite dark.” She adds, “What’s great about our show is it has so many great relationships that have so much heart. And I think the humor and heart combo is really true to the comic.”

http://tvline.com/2018/04/23/flash-season-4-episode-19-preview-leo-snart-siren-x/

" Caitlin is mourning the loss of her Killer Frost alter ego (She’s on the hunt to get her back scientifically, or some other way)" The "some other way" is terrifying me; I think she'll betray the team to get her back. Ironic since she's wanted her and the powers gone for almost two seasons now. I guess we may find out that Cait and KF are really just two sides of the same coin. Maybe she'll finally apologize for her crimes against  Iris and Cecile once she stops hiding behind, "Killer Frost made me do it. ".

Edited by adora721
  • Love 1

'Danielle Panabaker on Killer Frost's disappearance' -- Took them long enough, but at least they're finally trying to address the Caitlin/KF duality.

“It affects her a lot,” Panabaker tells EW. “Emotionally, it affects her, but also logically. There is the scientist doctor inside of her who needs answers, so we’re going to see her try various different techniques to try and get Killer Frost to come out, and that does lead her to delve a little bit deeper into who Killer Frost is.”

Hence, DeVoe’s dastardly act makes Caitlin more determined than ever in the ultimate fight to take him down. “It gives Caitlin a personal connection to the Thinker and to why she, as well, is so committed to stopping him.”

It seems like they want to give everyone a personal reason to defeat DeVoe in this back half. I don't think that's really necessary, but let's see how this plays out.

Edited by Trini
5 hours ago, adora721 said:

And does she have the support of the rest of the team to go kind of searching for this?

She does, but at first she's kind of taking this all on by herself. It's very much with the theme of the season — 'We are the Flash' — she realizes that she's gonna need the help of other people. She reaches out to Joe, she reaches out to Cisco, and it's really the team that is gonna help her.

... And like I was talking about with Caitlin, it's very much a matter of Barry shouldering these problems himself in all the seasons up to this point.

This season has been like, 'I can't do this all the time by myself.' Nor should he have to! He has Vibe, he has Killer Frost, he has Iris and Joe and the super smart Harry Wells. So he has other people he can rely on and they're a team. But Barry needed to have this big loss in order for him to fully come around to 'We can do this together, we can try to stop DeVoe together.'

He talks about it as if it's new, but there's always been other people involved in taking down the Big Bad each Season. A coordinated team effort is slightly new, I guess; but Team Flash has been working together the whole season so far, so I'm not buying that Ralph's death is the reason for that.

... And you know, Hartley Sawyer is so amazing, and you know ... But it's like, you gotta stick with the plan. This was something that we plotted out a year ago [and] we explained Hartley exactly what his journey was gonna be.

Is this Todd admitting that there's only so much he can change even with Kreisberg gone? I'll give them credit for planning the season out, but come on, man; you're the showrunner now.

8 hours ago, Trini said:

He talks about it as if it's new, but there's always been other people involved in taking down the Big Bad each Season. A coordinated team effort is slightly new, I guess; but Team Flash has been working together the whole season so far, so I'm not buying that Ralph's death is the reason for that.

In 2 out of 3 seasons, Barry has failed outright. 

He failed to stop Wellsobard in season 1. Eddie did that by his dead.

He failed to stop Savitar in season 3 before he murdered Iris. 

In season 2, he fails to keep his father safe from Zoom.

He's the world's most Ineffective Superhero.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Trini said:

Is this Todd admitting that there's only so much he can change even with Kreisberg gone? I'll give them credit for planning the season out, but come on, man; you're the showrunner now.

I can't say that I don't see where Todd is coming from. Kreisberg got fired halfway through the season, but didn't officially leave the show until a couple of months after that. If Kreisberg had been let go in the first half of the season, then I would say that Todd should be allowed to adjust course as he sees fit. But I do think there's some things, like major plotlines, that are harder to change because I assume Todd would have to go through the network to get certain changes implemented, and I can see why Todd would decide to keep this season mostly on track and then adjust for next season. Plus, it's better to just adjust for next season instead of trying to change the end of this season, because more often than not, a change in plans can lead to disasters, rather than successes. 

So they're turning the "We are the Flash" line about the team. When the line was first said, it was specifically about Barry/Iris being a team as they were getting married. Now, it's about the team? As I've seen other Iris fans say, they should have made the line about Team Flash from the beginning, so Candice could be saved from the abuse she received.

Also

Iris says it-fandom uproar claiming she's taking credit.

Barry says it-crickets

The writers say it's about Team Flash- omg now I love the line.

Man some just don't like Iris to say certain things

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, BeautifulFlower said:

So they're turning the "We are the Flash" line about the team. When the line was first said, it was specifically about Barry/Iris being a team as they were getting married. Now, it's about the team? As I've seen other Iris fans say, they should have made the line about Team Flash from the beginning, so Candice could be saved from the abuse she received.

Also

Iris says it-fandom uproar claiming she's taking credit.

Barry says it-crickets

The writers say it's about Team Flash- omg now I love the line.

Man some just don't like Iris to say certain things

Basically. 

Although, from what Todd said he claims the team aspect was a theme of the season. I don't recall the team getting things done together or realizing how much they needed each other was a theme. I just remember Barry and Iris saying it to each other. Well, we have 4 episodes before it possibly changes to "the team". 

• Love 2

Look, there’s no way around it. Things have been rough. It’s bleaker than the beginning of Alien 3! Though, after seeing Barry make a breakthrough with his grief in his battle with Siren-X, and returning to Dr. Sharon Finkel’s office, I decided maybe it was time for me to get my Freud jam on some Rorschach tests, and see what Finkel has to say about my old cranium. I was going to get some therapy!   ...

21 hours ago, Kate45 said:

Basically. 

Although, from what Todd said he claims the team aspect was a theme of the season. I don't recall the team getting things done together or realizing how much they needed each other was a theme. I just remember Barry and Iris saying it to each other. Well, we have 4 episodes before it possibly changes to "the team". 

Exactly. In 4x02, they specifically had it phrase to mean Barry/Iris future marriage. It never was about the team, so it'll be odd for them to turn it about the team last minute.

18 hours ago, Trini said:

New poster with Gypsy/Cynthia!

fla_s4_8x12.jpg

In related news, let Cisco have a solo poster!

Lazy poster. That is his costume from the previous seasons and you can barely see Cynthia

• Love 2

Turning "We are the Flash" into a Team Flash thing is a retcon and a bad one at that. It's also extremely insulting to Candice Patton after the hell she had to go through for that line.

I think they were setting up a West-Allens vs DeVoes confrontation, hence the parallels with the "We are the Flash" and "I am nothing without you" lines. Then they changed their minds along the way. I should have seen this coming when they started sidelining Barry for Ralph and turned DeVoe into Ralph's and Harry's villain.

I hope it won't be explicitly stated that the entire team and not just Barry and Iris are the Flash. If they can't help themselves, they should at least respect Candice enough to have Iris say "We, as a team, are the Flash" instead of making her into a fool once her husband announces "Cisco, Caitlin, I can't do this without you. We are the Flash!" ?

• Love 8

Some quotes from EP Helbing about the DeVoes:

“Kim is amazing,” Helbing said. “Kim [Engelbrecht] and Neil [Sandilands] together are an amazing team, but I think one thing that we didn’t realize was how much the emotional story was going to be reliant on Kim. Her performance this whole season has just been mind-boggling. She’s so amazing, and to be up on set and watch her do that in person is something to behold. Writing them as a couple, what’s so great about The Thinker this season as well is, it’s really this love story that goes awry.”

The episode actually uses some of the same language tonight that Helbing did when he spoke with us.

“What kind of future do I have if you’re not by my side?” DeVoe asked his wife Marlize in tonight’s episode, “Therefore She Is.”

“Marlize DeVoe is the true believer,” Helbing told us. “She was somebody that really wants to fix humanity and she really believes that, but as this season has progressed and DeVoe got more and more intelligent and less and less emotional — that’s the reason why he created the Weeper, was he knew that going gin, ‘I’m going to needs something to keep my wife by my side.’ But I don’t think that he even saw how detached emotionally he was going to become and how that was going to affect Marlize and the two of them.”

http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/05/02/the-flash-showrunner-says-the-season-is-really-about-clifford-an/

Well, it’s been harder to adjust to the single life than I imagined. I mean I guess I’ve lived life as a bonafide bachelor for most of my years, but I was just starting to get into that whole relationship groove. To go from that back to the lifestyle of a single man at the drop of a hat takes a lot out of you! Even though Gypsy and I both agreed that we work better apart, and it was the right thing to do, it wasn’t what your boy was planning for. Heck, it wasn’t long ago that I was weighing the pros and cons of taking over for Breacher! Nothing could have prepared me for this sudden new void in my life! Did that sound dramatic? Whatever, it’s allowed....

http://chroniclesofcisco.tumblr.com/post/173519521390/well-its-been-harder-to-adjust-to-the-single

(edited)

Grant and Keiynan nominated for the 2018 MTV Movie & TV Awards!

BEST HERO
Chadwick Boseman (Black Panther)
Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones)
Gal Gadot (Wonder Woman)
Grant Gustin (The Flash)
Daisy Ridley (Star Wars: The Last Jedi)

BEST KISS
Jane the Virgin (Gina Rodriguez/Jane and Justin Baldoni/Rafael)
Love, Simon (Nick Robinson/Simon and Keiynan Lonsdale/Bram)
Ready Player One (Olivia Cooke/Sam and Tye Sheridan/Wade)
Riverdale (KJ Apa/Archie and Camila Mendes/Veronica)
Stranger Things (Finn Wolfhard/Mike and Millie Bobby Brown/Eleven)

The ceremony is set to air on June 18.

Edited by Trini

It’s been getting real over here for Team Flash…between Ralph’s death, another run-in with Nazis, and DeVoe’s evil plan to reboot all of our brains – yeah, it’s been a doozy of a month.  I wanted to call the Council of Harrisons back up to tell them about the breakthrough with DeVoe but H. Wells was occupied with a lady friend and H.P Wells was in “the throes of reading a passionate romance novel.” 

That only left Sonny Wells to call up.  He was stoked that Harry had had an emotional breakthrough and asked what I was doing to celebrate my success....

We are not alone in our confusion or eyerolling at Caitlin's KF obsession:

"The Flash seems eternally confused about what Caitlin’s powers mean — whether she actually has some kind of split personality disorder, another ice-fueled being actually lives inside her or something else — and this episode complicates things even further.

Does the placebo effect of the “splitter” Amunet used mean that Killer Frost is just some kind of mental manifestation of Caitlin’s dark self after all? Can Caitlin harness the power of her emotions to give life to some sort of secondary personality? Is this a Fight Club situation?

I have no idea, and I honestly don’t think the show does either.

What makes it doubly unfortunate is that The Flash  just muddies the metahuman waters with Caitlin’s weird DNA excuse. At this point, it honestly might be better if she just inherited Leonard Snart’s cold gun for good."https://www.telltaletv.com/2018/05/the-flash-review-harry-and-the-harrisons-season-4-episode-21/

"I touched on this last week as well, but nobody has been more poorly served by this season than Caitlin. The idea that Killer Frost is some essential part of her that she "misses" is brutal nonsense. It saps both characters of drama, but really kneecaps Caitlin and her entire arc over the last two seasons. Remember her dread when she saw what she could turn into? Remember how much it hurt when she finally did? They've turned one of the best character arcs on the show into some kind of desperate, childish power grab, and it's really just sad to see. The whole "placebo" thing was a multiple eye roll moment." http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/the-flash/273316/the-flash-season-4-episode-21-review-harry-and-the-harrisons

Of course there is the outlier at TV Fanatic who declares, "A little side note: Danielle Panabaker is a brilliant actress who deserves all the cupcakes and rainbows in the world. 

The fact Cait would go as far as this, trusting someone who can't be trusted. The lengths she would go to bring KF back is almost too much I can handle. BUT I'M SO HERE FOR IT. I felt Cait's pain. I felt her heartache. And I felt her desire for her other half to return to her. Her soul to return to her. " And her SB heart had to say, "Can I also just point out the little Snowbarry moments in this episode? It's so good to see Cait finally interact with Barry again." https://www.tvfanatic.com/2018/05/the-flash-season-4-episode-21-review-harry-and-the-harrisons/

• Love 2