Type keyword(s) to search

The Flash in the Media

Lisin
  • Start Topic

TVLine's Fall Winners & Losers:

WINNER:

#SUPERFLASH

The Flash isn't only The CW’s top-rated series, it also matches or beats 17 of the dramas from ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC. Supergirl meanwhile stuck her landing on The CW, placing No. 2 behind the scarlet speedster (and while parsing out meaningful B-stories to every supporting character).

• Love 2

'Arrowverse Crossover: What Was Left on the Cutting Room Floor'

The crossovers never established whether or not the world knew about the impending alien threat, and according to Kreisberg and Guggenheim, it's not going to be something that is further explored. There will be a mention on The Flash's midseason finale that "the threat of aliens brought out all the crazies," but Kreisberg said they're planning on "Doctor Who-ing it."

"We had a line that we cut for time and just re-watching it, I was like, 'Oh I really wished we'd found the time another way,'" said Guggenheim. "There was a line where the character Glasses -- we call him Glasses because we're so original -- is he basically says, 'Cover up what? A dozen, you know, weather satellites falling out, you know, falling out of orbit?' Because people see the ships, but no one ever really saw the Dominators. The way we're sort of playing it going forward is that Glasses is good at his job, and when he says he's going to cover it up, he's going to cover it up."

On 12/6/2016 at 11:28 AM, RedVitC said:

There's a Flash tie-in novel: The Haunting of Barry Allen. The story from this one will apparently continue in an Arrow tie-in novel (coming out next year).

Publisher's website: http://titanbooks.com/flash-the-haunting-of-barry-allen-8731/

Speeding through Central City, Barry Allen is met with a startling sight—the Flash, older, battered, and badly injured. Before he can speak, the doppelgänger is gone.

Then Barry begins experiencing glitches in his powers—moments that leave him ghostly and immobile in the middle of missions. When a group of his enemies—including Pied Piper, Weather Wizard, and Peekaboo—chooses this time to launch a new assault, the Flash seeks help from his most trusted ally.
Oliver Queen – the Arrow.

Barry.jpg

Also: The Art and Making of The Flash

Packed with exclusive production art and behind-the-scenes photography, The Art and Making of The Flash is the ultimate resource for fans of the superhero speedster. Find out what goes into making the heroes and villains of this smash hit Warner Bros. show, get in-depth interviews with the cast and crew, and explore a treasure trove of weapons and gadgets.

Untitled%2021.jpg

2 hours ago, catrice2 said:

I want the green dress.  Is there any way to get that? 

As far as I can tell, no one has ID'd it yet.

-------

18 minutes ago, Trini said:

The book is set in the first part of Season 2, I believe.

From the authors' website:

In the first part of an epic 2-book crossover with ARROW, Barry Allen finds out there are consequences to being a hero. Because of his heroic efforts to close the temporal anomaly that nearly destroyed Central City, he is fighting for his life.  His powers are failing and he is experiencing visions of a future Flash who is trying to warn him of danger. At the same time, a group of the Flash's greatest enemies band together to bring the city to its knees and extract revenge on Flash and everyone he holds dear. Unable to safeguard his city alone, Barry turns to the one man he trusts above all others -- Oliver Queen, the ARROW.

The story continues in ARROW: A GENERATION OF VIPERS (pub date March 2017).

Edited by Trini

Iris made it into the '27 Female TV Characters Who Were a Force of Nature in 2016' list by Fangirlish:

Iris West is not just Barry Allen’s girlfriend, not Wally West’s sister, not Joe West’s daughter. She’s Iris, a smart, caring, dedicated, bad-ass reporter in her own right and though she might not be the hero of this story, that doesn’t mean she’s just the love interest either. And though we wish The Flash writers would recognize how awesome she is and give her much more to do, we still thank them for creating her. Because she’s still a role model, just as she is.

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, RedVitC said:

Barry and Iris are TVLines runner-up for best couple (romantic) of 2016.

There are a few other Flash characters mentioned in that list, too. (Caitlin's mother for Worst Mom, and Reverse Flash for Best Villain; both runner-ups)

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, Trini said:

There are a few other Flash characters mentioned in that list, too. (Caitlin's mother for Worst Mom, and Reverse Flash for Worst Villain; both runner-ups)

I think Reverse Flash was Best Villain runner-up. I'll go check!

Barry and Iris made Essence's '16 TV Couples Who Kept It Hot and Steamy in 2016' list: 

It’s about time a superhero falls in love with a Black woman on television!  Iris West and Barry Allen’s love affair flashes through the past and present as the duo deal the alterations of their fate. Iris has become somewhat of a sidekick for Flash after she learns about his supernatural gifts.  As the superhero flashes back and forth between the past and present, the couple keeps it sexy and sweet as husband and wife or just as friends with feelings the depending on when Barry uses his superhuman gifts.

Barry and iris made Fangirlish' '17 TV Scenes from 2016 We Could Watch Over and Over Again' list:

16 – The Flash 3×03: Westallen Kiss

We can’t get over how much we love these two together. They are couple goals. And yes, we say “**** Barry” cause of Flashpoint, and because we want him to be better ….but hey, we happen to think Iris makes him better.  Just as he does with her.

During AskAusielloLive on Facebook it was mentioned that they've started writing the musical crossover episode.

Edited by RedVitC
to edit out curse word
  • Love 3

In LEGO Dimensions, using the TARDIS in the "Adventure World" of "Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them" will bring you to ...........   STAR Labs??????

(The "secret" level begins around the 13 minute mark).

Look, it's Barry's Flash suit, it's Harrison's wheelchair, it's the secret "Future" room (complete with a different newspaper), and even the Flash himself makes an appearance on his "Cosmic" treadmill.

• Love 1

Barry and Iris made EW's '22 Unforgettable Shipper Moments of 2016' list:

Barry and Iris Move In Together, The Flash

After kissing Iris in multiple timelines that Barry then erased, the Scarlet Speedster finally got his shot with Iris this season — and he wasn't going to waste it. Soon after accidentally traveling five months into the future, in which he saw new big bad, Savitar, kill Iris, Barry gave his longtime love the best Christmas present of all: A new apartment. The duo are slated to move in together in the new year — well, for five months, anyway. —Natalie Abrams

Barry and Iris made ET(online)'s 'The 12 Sweetest, Sexiest and Most Swoonworthy TV Couples of 2016!' list

Not all superheroes wear capes, but all TV couples should strive to be more like Barry and Iris.

Edited by RedVitC
Add another article
  • Love 1

I'm glad they are showing Iris being vulnerable - I was afraid they would Strong Black Woman her... it's so rare to see a black female character be protected at all costs.  Having said that, I hope Iris is allowed to have some agency in this storyline since it's clearly about her.

Carlos and Tom are ridiculously talented - that was awesome.

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 2

Really liked this trailer. I'm glad everyone (probably?) will know by the end of the episode. I was wondering how they'd have Iris react, and I'm glad she didn't immediately shrug it off, but is allowed to react. I didn't spot this myself, but apparently in the trailer you can see some of the other things they're going to try to prevent. In the news clip there are reports on 

Spoiler

the Star Labs museum, Killer Frost being on the loose, Joe West being honored, and someone getting a book deal.

I put it under a spoiler tag even though it's in the trailer, because you have to zoom/really pay particular attention to see it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, RedVitC said:

Really liked this trailer. I'm glad everyone (probably?) will know by the end of the episode. I was wondering how they'd have Iris react, and I'm glad she didn't immediately shrug it off, but is allowed to react. I didn't spot this myself, but apparently in the trailer you can see some of the other things they're going to try to prevent. In the news clip there are reports on 

Hide contents

the Star Labs museum, Killer Frost being on the loose, Joe West being honored, and someone getting a book deal.

I put it under a spoiler tag even though it's in the trailer, because you have to zoom/really pay particular attention to see it.

Thanks for mentioning that. Good catch.

4 hours ago, RedVitC said:

In the news clip there are reports on 

Hide contents

A couple of sharp eyed fans are saying 

Spoiler

it looks like it's a Stein. Lily? 

Also, glad to see Joe (?) apparently being honored at some function or other. I know the 2024 byline has currently changed, but one of the things that was to come to pass by that date was Joe ascending to the Captaincy, along with Barry being promoted to Director. Hoping this means we're still heading in that general direction.

Edited by Karlophe

The 6 Best Bromances of 2016

2. Harry and Cisco, The Flash (The CW)

While it's true we've come to love the energy of Tom Cavanagh's H.R. in recent months, and even love that each season brings with it a new version of Harrison Wells for Cavanagh to effortlessly bring to life, we'd be lying if we said that anyone other than Harry was who we really wanted to see each week. His reluctant bromance with Cisco (Carlos Valdes), no matter how much they annoyed one another, was one of our favorite relationships on The Flash and one of our favorite bromances of 2016.

(emphasis mine)

I miss the adventures of Harry and Crisco.

Edited by Princess Lucky
  • Love 3
On 12/22/2016 at 0:32 AM, Karlophe said:
On 12/21/2016 at 8:09 PM, RedVitC said:

In the news clip there are reports on 

Reveal hidden contents

A couple of sharp eyed fans are saying 

Reveal hidden contents

it looks like it's a Stein. Lily? 

Also, glad to see Joe (?) apparently being honored at some function or other. I know the 2024 byline has currently changed, but one of the things that was to come to pass by that date was Joe ascending to the Captaincy, along with Barry being promoted to Director. Hoping this means we're still heading in that general direction.

Taking my thoughts on the promo to the Spoiler thread.

Barry and Iris in Fangirlish' '22 Ships that Set the Standard in 2016' list:

While we might harbor some not-so-happy feelings towards Barry right now, there’s no denying that our hearts are full of love for Westallen. Barry and Iris are couple goals: best friends that grew into a deep romantic love that transcends multiple Earths and timelines. There are so many different facets to Barry and Iris’ relationship. It’s sweet and tender but it can also be intense and intimate. They have a deep trust in one another that transcends all facets of their lives, be it their personal lives or their professional lives. When you think of Barry Allen you think of Iris West. And when you think of Iris West you think of Barry Allen. But perhaps the most beautiful thing is that there’s still so much more of their story to be told.

Barry and Iris in Fangirlish' '17 TV Couples That Have INSANE Chemistry' list:

It’s one thing for a couple to have insane chemistry on paper. But it’s another story entirely when it’s accurately translated onscreen the way that Grant Gustin and Candice Patton have done with The Flash’s Barry and Iris. So much of Barry and Iris’ slowburn romance in the first two seasons was built on that strong foundation previously established with a lot of longing for more thrown in the mix. That means those single looks and those comforting moments held so much more than what was being presented. Barry and Iris light up the screen with their magnetism and the way it always feels like they’re the only ones in a room. Their bond has transcended multiple Earths and timelines further proving that some couples are just meant to be – no matter what you throw their way.

A little late, but I wanted to wish everyone a happy new year!

• Love 5

ComicBookResources.com's write-up of Kreisberg's comments on Supergirl and The Flash from the TCAs. *Spoilers* for both shows, but also some non-spoilery info. (Like why they killed off Henry Allen:)

On the behind the scenes logic that let actor John Wesley Shipp transform from Henry Allen to Jay Garrick:

It’s funny because when John was original cast in the pilot, we didn’t reveal his role, and so many people thought he was Jay Garrick and thought that was so perfect. For us, we just felt like it was sort of like a cross-timing, where at the same time we felt like, “What was Henry bringing to the table?” Because once he was out of prison, it just felt like we weren’t sure how much real estate we wanted to provide to that relationship.

At the same time, we had this mystery of this man in the mask, and it just seemed so delicious, the idea that Barry’s father would pass away, and then he would have this new person in his life who was wearing his father’s face. I think what made having Jay on the show so special is, it’s not so much the history of Jay Garrick, but that this hero, this other Flash who Barry has to work with, has the face of his deceased father, and the emotion that goes along with that.

[John’s past history playing The Flash is] the meta level on which this show works a lot of times, which for us, to be able to get John Wesley Shipp back in a Flash suit and have that scene with him and the Trickster with Mark Hamill was just, even though it was a brief little snippet, it felt like the old “Flash” show for a second, and that made us so happy.

I swear to God, the more I read and hear the show runners speak, the more ragey I get at their tone deafness and blindness.

Typing from my phone, but to read the brutal murder of Henry being passed off as "passing" (pardon the pun) as if he just died of natural causes irks me to no end.?

Or that they all said that this show was supposed to be "brighter" and more "joyful" in order to contrast with Arrow, which is darker, only for them to make this show angsty as all get out since the second half of the first season. I just want to yell "LIAR! LIAR! PANTS ON ? ???!! whenever any of them say anything.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 5

A few recent articles I found about Iris wrt the future etc. (I'm not sure if comic storylines count as spoilers, but just in case I put it under a spoiler tag.) The articles are pretty long so I just quoted a few parts here.  

Should the CW's Flash forget Iris West's Future (examines Iris in the comic books and explores whether the show could/should add Iris' comic book plot of

Spoiler

being from the future).

Spoiler

Turns out the Russells had plucked Iris’ consciousness from her dying 20th Century body and put it in a new 30th Century body. (It was Schrodinger’s Iris, dead or alive depending on the millennium.) Iris then “possessed” the body of a juror at the Flash’s trial in order to thwart Abra Kadabra, who wanted a conviction and was manipulating the proceedings accordingly. Thanks to Iris, the Flash was acquitted; but Barry and Iris decided to go — wait for it — back to the future. Barry then spent the last month of his life in Iris’ old 30th Century home, before coming out of retirement to fight (and die) in 1985’s “Crisis On Infinite Earths.”

The Flash: How Iris’ Potential Future Impacts Death and Time

Iris has been central to Barry’s story since day one. She’s also been shown to have a direct connection to the speed force and, by extension, to time travel. It has been established that the speed force is the source of Barry’s powers. In the season one episode, “Out of Time,” Barry time travels to the past for the first time after he and Iris share their first kiss. In “The Present,” Barry was thrown into the future for the first time, becoming a witness to her death, and she was the reason why. Was the speed force showing him her death so he could prevent it? We know that time always seems to correct itself somehow and so by knowing Barry will try everything in his power to prevent Iris’ murder, the speed force perhaps threw him into the future so that he could stop it from happening.

By doing this, time would be able to course-correct itself after Barry’s last time travelling adventures created a slightly altered timeline called “Flashpoint.” Prior to this, Iris’ newspaper byline remained unchanged in the future and so the speed force seems intent on keeping it that way. The connection Iris seems to have to time and to Barry’s powers seems to be powerful and shouldn’t be looked at as mere coincidence. By foreseeing the future, Barry can prevent Iris’ death and through its preview, perhaps Barry can also find the key to defeating Savitar. It could also help Barry further his understanding of the speed force as well.

With Flashpoint seemingly behind everyone, people may be worried that Barry’s insistence to change the future he saw would negate the hard lessons he learned after traveling back in time to save his mom. However, attempting to alter the future is not the same as changing past events. The past is something that has already happened. Anything that’s changed affects the present and future. But, the future doesn’t exist yet and, as Jay Garrick stated: “There are infinite possibilities to the future. It’s always bending, always changing.” This means Iris’ death isn’t set in stone. Nothing really is. Flashpoint created Savitar and is also the reason behind Iris’ altered future. Barry being witness to this future and his attempt to save her from this fate is like his way of fixing the timeline he broke to begin with. And with Iris being the first one on the show whose death has been foreseen, it can be prevented, time can heal itself, and Savitar can be stopped.

• Love 1

The latest promo is good, but I thought we'd be getting one that would have scenes from the next few episodes, like the latest Supergirl promo.

Also weird is that Julian hasn't been in the trailers, even though he's in the promo photos and the episode description. I know it's because he probably isn't a part of the main action and might only be in a couple scenes, but still. Everyone else (even HR) has made an appearance.

But besides that, he's like the most famous face in the cast right now, and I'm surprised CW/WB hasn't milked that as much as possible this season.

On 1/18/2017 at 5:47 AM, Trini said:

But besides that, he's like the most famous face in the cast right now, and I'm surprised CW/WB hasn't milked that as much as possible this season.

I'm also surprised they're not milking his presence more.  

This Kevin Smith tweet is from after ep 309 aired, I thought it was nice:

Edited by RedVitC
  • Love 3

More info on the Supergirl/The Flash musical crossover:

The CW on Friday announced that the highly anticipated two-part musical crossover between Supergirl and The Flash will air Monday, March 20 (8/7c) and Tuesday, March 21 (8/7c). As with the network’s recent “Heroes v. Aliens” saga, the crossover will start at the end of Supergirl, saving most of the musical action for The Flash‘s portion of the event, appropriately titled “Duet.”

Dermott Downs has been tapped to direct the Flash half of the crossover. His previous DCTV credits include Supergirl‘s “For the Girl Who Has Everything” episode and The Flash‘s installment of the “Heroes v. Aliens” crossover.

And producer comments on Barry and Iris and the themes for the rest of the season:

"It's the woman he loves, he just moved in with, has been in love with for a very long time so at this point, he's just throwing caution to the wind and focusing on saving her, realizing that there could be ramifications but he'll deal with those ramifications after he's taken care of this problem," Helbing says.

Edited by Trini