Type keyword(s) to search

The Flash in the Media

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Interview with Danielle P. about being an actress:

To prepare for her episodes of The Flash, Panabaker Skypes with her acting coach of 20 years to get into character and work on the material. The day we talked to her, she Skyped with him for nearly an hour and a half to make sure she was ready for the episode they were about to film.

And that’s on top of her demanding schedule. “This week, I think I work five days a week. Next week, I have one day off. It just varies week to week,” she explains. And those aren’t your standard 9-5ers either. “The average filming day is built to be a 12 to 14-hour camera day -- which doesn’t include the lunch break,” she says. “And, as a woman, it takes me an hour to go through hair and makeup, so I generally have an hour pre-call before everyone else.”

Interview with Violett Beane about Jesse Quick:

IGN: We always hear that super hero suits may be cool to see, but are not always comfortable to wear. What was you combination of being thrilled to just have this thing on and what it represents, versus the lack of comfort factor?

Beane: Oh, totally. It's red leather, right? Super, super cool, super bad ass. Not the most comfortable! In between shots, we always take off the jackets just because those are the most constricting. With the pants, mine are pretty high waisted, so when I sat down I definitely had to unzip it a little bit. A little bit tight, a little bit tight. [Laughs]

IGN: Did Grant have red leather advice for you?

Beane: You know, he gets off a little bit easier. His has a lot of other fabric in it. It has a stretchy bamboo fabric so he's a little bit easier. Mine is full leather.

Thanks, Trini. It's interesting that DP is getting coaching for her acting. I think it has actually helped. She was pretty bad in season 1. Season 2 she was ok, but still not the best. This season she seems to have mostly stopped doing a lot of the stuff that drove me batty, so she's definitely improved.

I wonder why they didn't use some of the stretchy fabric for Violett's costume.

On 10/25/2016 at 9:02 PM, zannej said:

I wonder why they didn't use some of the stretchy fabric for Violett's costume.

This. That crossed my mind as well, and I wondered if it might not be because her time in it would be so brief - unlike Barry, she only had an episode in the thing and for them perhaps the visual effect of an all leather suit outweighed poor Miss Beanes' discomfort. She looked fantastic, but would it really have killed them to add a few breathable stretchy panels for her? Geez. I'm judging them a bit.

• Love 1

I don't think these two articles were posted yet. Not just about the Flash, but they mention Iris, Candice and Barry/Iris  (and one uses a Barry/Iris picture as the main picture of the article, the other an Iris one.) (Edited to add some of the Flash related quotes)

Why It Matters When Women of Color Play Love Interests

And just to make sure I’m being explicitly clear: while all women of color get the short end of the stick compared to white women, the pushback about showing a romance, particularly an interracial one, is 100% more vocal and vitriolic when the woman is Black. The reason Candice Patton’s Iris West and Zendaya’s Mary Jane are vitally important is because of how often media and fandom treat Black women as unworthy of love, respect, and protection.

For Women of Color, the Price of Fandom Can Be Too High

The Flash, the CW show based on the DC Comics hero who fights crime with superhuman speed, premieres its third season this week—and for a third year, Candice Patton’s Iris West, a journalist and love interest for the titular superhero Barry Allen, has been a target of racist discussion amongst the geek community. The attacks on her character range from obvious bigotry referring to her as a monkey to more subtle remarks about how the two love interests don’t “look good together”. Look through Tumblr, Twitter, or even the recaps on popular sites and you’ll find an inordinate amount of hate toward Iris for things other white female characters get a pass for. The fandom for shows like this have always been intense, but the issues with Iris often seem less based in the writers not using her well enough, and more in her not being a blank slate that white fans can project their desires or identity upon.

Since her comics debut in the mid-1950s, Iris has been portrayed as a white woman; casting a black actress in the role was both a major selling point and point of contention amongst fans. Patton embodies the role spectacularly. She’s warm, brave, and really, the heart of the show along with the other members of the West family. But Iris isn’t just the usual, forgettable Superhero Love Interest™. It’s the love she and Barry share for each other that saves him from oblivion time and time again. The pointed criticism toward the character doesn’t just come from a vocal section of the fandom that argues Iris doesn’t deserve to be with Barry and ships him with white female characters he has no romantic chemistry with. The showrunners often sideline Iris’s storyline in favor of whatever temporary, usually white love interest the writers want to throw toward Barry. Even worse, critics seem to feed into the bitterness of the fandom by writing articles that demean Iris as “self-centered” for being angry at Barry for gaslighting her about his secret identity. Iris is integral to the Flash mythos—something many of the criticisms seek to downplay. Her role as Barry’s love interest and future wife isn’t going anywhere.

A similar level of animosity came to the forefront when it was announced that Zendaya, the former Disney Channel star, would be playing Mary Jane Watson in the upcoming Spider-Man: Homecoming. Both Iris and Mary Jane are long-running female characters intrinsically tied to the stories of their superhero partners; they are also some of the most superhero fantasies that readers can identify with, or desire for themselves. That DC and Marvel have decided to disrupt these fantasies is why the casting receives so much backlash. Underneath the complaints that Zendaya isn’t a natural redhead like Mary Jane—a fact which didn’t stop Kirsten Dunst from playing the character three times on-screen—or that Patton isn’t good enough to play Iris, is the idea that black women shouldn’t exist in these worlds in the first place. (And they especially shouldn’t be the cherished love interest—a rarity for black women in any genre.) 

Edited by RedVitC
To add Flash related quotes from the article + corrected a sentence
  • Love 5

Danielle interview at EW Mainly about Caitlin and her powers and Killer Frost:

How is Caitlin handling these newfound powers?

It’s definitely been a challenging couple of months. At first, she doesn’t really know what to make of her powers. She’s experimenting a little bit, as we saw in episode 4, and it’s getting to the point where she knows she needs help and she’s not ready to go to Team Flash yet, because I don’t think she knows what she’s going to say. So she goes to her mom as another expert in the medical field, and tries to get some assistance from her mom, but she’s not quite as successful as she’d hoped.

While this is tough for Caitlin, how fun is it for you to finally get to explore these powers with this version of Caitlin?

I’m so excited. I’ve been bugging everyone just as long as the fans have been bugging me about my excitement for getting powers. It’s been such a treat. I’m so excited about it, and excited to see what it means for Caitlin this year.

Are you a little bit nervous about potentially wearing a wig more permanently soon?

I’m excited for the changes. I’m a little bit of a girly girl. What starts to look different? If she’s got this darkness inside of her, how does that manifest itself when she gets dressed in the morning and the way she does her makeup and that sort of thing.

• Love 1

Hmm.. Interesting that they are adding Mon-El to the Supergirl series. It must not be the same version that was in Legion of Super-Heroes though. That one was named Lar Gand and was from the planet Daxam.

Matt Letscher cracks me up. He seems to be having a lot of fun with LoT.

Cute photos. I have to chuckle whenever I see that strained smile on Stephen Amell's face in the pics because I remember reading somewhere that he hates photoshoots. The other people all seemed to be enjoying themselves though.

I loved that two of them said they wanted Sara Lance on their shows. It was sweet of Grant to say he wanted ATOM to join The Flash.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, zannej said:

Hmm.. Interesting that they are adding Mon-El to the Supergirl series. It must not be the same version that was in Legion of Super-Heroes though. That one was named Lar Gand and was from the planet Daxam.

This Mon-El is from Daxam, but they've tweaked his origin a little.  Daxam and Krypton were sister planets in the same solar system, but they didn't get along due to numerous cultural and political issues (Kryptonians thought Daxamites were hedonistic, irresponsible fratboys, and Daxamites thought Kryptonians were elitist snobs and general sticks-in-the-mud.  Krypton was also a democratic republic, whereas Daxam was a monarchy; Mon-El was the Crown Prince's personal bodyguard who was deliberately sent to Earth by the Crown Prince -- or so he claims.  There's a theory afoot that he was lying about that and was actually the Crown Prince himself.)  When Krypton died, the explosion also destroyed one of Daxam's moons, and the fallout from that destruction turned Daxam into a dead wasteland.

As a Daxamite, this Mon-El has some, but not all, of the same superpowers that Superman and Supergirl have; he can fly, he's invulnerable, he has super-speed, and he has super-strength.  He apparently doesn't have x-ray or heat vision or super-hearing, however.  As for the Daxamite vulnerability to lead, which is how Mon-El eventually ended up in the 30th Century with the Legion of Super-Heroes -- he's originally from our era, remember -- it yet remains to be seen whether this Mon-El has that weakness.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2

As a Daxamite, this Mon-El has some, but not all, of the same superpowers that Superman and Supergirl have; he can fly, he's invulnerable, he has super-speed, and he has super-strength.  He apparently doesn't have x-ray or heat vision or super-hearing, however.  As for the Daxamite vulnerability to lead, which is how Mon-El eventually ended up in the 30th Century with the Legion of Super-Heroes -- he's originally from our era, remember -- it yet remains to be seen whether this Mon-El has that weakness.

One tweak, he can't fly.  It's a bit confusing since he said at one point he probably could fly IF someone took him out on the town.  I'm pretty sure he wasn't meant to be believed.  

• Love 2
On 11/10/2016 at 7:32 PM, legaleagle53 said:

This Mon-El is from Daxam, but they've tweaked his origin a little.  Daxam and Krypton were sister planets in the same solar system, but they didn't get along due to numerous cultural and political issues (Kryptonians thought Daxamites were hedonistic, irresponsible fratboys, and Daxamites thought Kryptonians were elitist snobs and general sticks-in-the-mud.  Krypton was also a democratic republic, whereas Daxam was a monarchy; Mon-El was the Crown Prince's personal bodyguard who was deliberately sent to Earth by the Crown Prince -- or so he claims.  There's a theory afoot that he was lying about that and was actually the Crown Prince himself.)  When Krypton died, the explosion also destroyed one of Daxam's moons, and the fallout from that destruction turned Daxam into a dead wasteland.

Thanks for explaining that! I remember the Lar Gand in the comic books had to be saved from the lead poisoning by Brainiac 5-- at least during the version written in the 90s.

10 minutes ago, zannej said:

Thanks for explaining that! I remember the Lar Gand in the comic books had to be saved from the lead poisoning by Brainiac 5-- at least during the version written in the 90s.

That's also correct, and it was the same way when his origin was first given in the 60s.  Superboy accidentally exposed him to lead because he had come to believe that Mon-El was a dangerous criminal, so he tricked him into going to a planet where Superboy had set up a meteor shower of fake Kryptonite to see whether Mon-El would react to it (remember that at this time, Superboy still thought that Mon-El was a fellow Kryptonian).  The "meteors" were made of lead painted green to look like Kryptonite.  When Mon-El fell ill, Superboy accused him of being a fake, but Mon-El explained his true identity and origin now that the exposure to lead had restored his memory.

Because lead poisoning is always fatal to Daxamites even after the lead that caused it has been removed, Superboy had no choice but to put Mon-El in the Phantom Zone until he could invent a cure (which he was never able to do).  Mon-El was forced to spend 1,000 years in the Phantom Zone until Brainiac 5 discovered the one essential ingredient in the cure that Superboy had always overlooked -- Kryptonite -- and thus was able to free Mon-El from the Phantom Zone and cure him.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1

Comments from Keiynan Lonsdale about tomorrow's episode:

“They know that Alchemy isn’t a good guy, so I don’t think anyone wants Wally near him” in the name of pursuing a metahuman destiny, Lonsdale previews. “People become dangerous after Alchemy gets his hands on them, so [the initial response is], ‘OK, we need to not let that happen.'”

Yet for the adrenaline-chasing, street racing enthusiast, “The idea of being a speedster doesn’t scare him at all,” says Lonsdale. Rather, “It’s perfect for him. Though these visions get pretty nasty at one point, and that definitely troubles him in a sense.”

'Candice Patton on #WestAllen, Super Crossovers and Iris's Daddy Issues'

"They are writing some great stuff for Iris this season which makes me really excited," says The Flash's Candice Patton. "She has stuff to do, which gives me stuff to do. It's funny how that works!"

"It's so cute," she says of the storyline. "And there is so much more of that, the evolution of Barry and Iris trying to have this relationship ... We're going to see them try to make their own life together this season." However, the road to true love has always been a bumpy one and Patton sees some level of trouble ahead. ...

• Love 1

EW interview with Keiynan:

Will he be angry with Barry over Flashpoint?

He still has to stand with where he stands. Everyone made the decision that we won’t know about our alternate lives in Flashpoint. That’s the decision that we all made. As much as he can be angry, they all agreed on this. He’s not going to be able to stop his emotions, but at the same time, he can’t take everything out on Barry.

He basically jumped in front of a truck to get speed, so how far will he go to get powers? Should we be worried that Wally could turn evil?

I definitely think we can be worried. With Alchemy being involved, it’s dangerous. Wally really does want these powers, but he also is a good guy at heart. This is going to be something that’s super tempting for him. We’ll just have to see what he’s willing to lose of himself to go that far, if he does.

Another Keiynan interview about Wally and the next episode:

What are you most excited for fans to see in this episode?

Lonsdale: It's a different side of Wally, completely. For me, it was so much fun to play, as we saw in the trailer, he's been getting these sort of visions. He's sort of possessed and that was so much fun to play, someone that's out of control...Fans can be excited about the interaction between Wally and Iris. ...

• Love 1

Comments from Danielle about her powers arc, and Candice about Barry/Iris.:

"I'm excited for this season. It's going to be a little bit of a slow burn -- no pun intended," Panabaker told ET with a laugh at Arrow's 100th episode celebration in Vancouver, Canada. "She tries to cope with these changes and tries to decide if she's going to tell the rest of Team Flash and how she's going to tell them. It's going to be great. Episode seven in particular is one of my favorites this season."

Panabaker confirmed that Earth 2 Killer Frost was a "bad to the bone" villain, so it will be interesting to see if Earth 1 Caitlin will be able to keep her signature warm heart with the addition of these chilling powers. "I'm excited to explore whether or not there is an opportunity for both of those [aspects of Caitlin] to exist. We'll see," she teased. "Hopefully it makes for some good TV."

"Barry and Iris have such an iconic relationship in the comic books and it's finally great to be able to let that live and not have to hide behind 'will they or won't they?'" she said. "They are very much full-on in season three and we get to see them try and have a normal and happy relationship."

• Love 1

Danielle P. interview:

TVLINE | Interesting….. You tweeted out a clip where Caitlin is really ripping into Barry. What’s going on there?

Caitlin is having a rough time! [Laughs] Episodes 6 and 7 technically take place over one night, and I keep joking that that was probably one of the worst nights of Caitlin’s life. She wants to help, but she doesn’t have control of her powers, because they’re so new to her. And when this dark side to her comes out, she’s pretty angry with Barry because he’s a bit of catalyst for all of this. Had Barry not gone back in time and done Flashpoint, she might not have these powers.

And another:

How is the team going to react to this?

They’re all going to have very different reactions and struggle with what’s happening. Some of the people on Team Flash don’t have quite the same history as someone like Barry or Cisco do. Barry and Cisco’s instincts tend to try to help Caitlin as quickly as possible and get back to the person who is inside of her — that true good person that we know — whereas perhaps I think some other members of Team Flash are a little more skeptical and a little more wary of Killer Frost, particularly after some of them saw the Earth-2 Killer Frost.

Kevin Smith interview:

I’m happy with whatever they give me. I was happy with “Runaway Dinosaur” because it was so tied into my favorite episode of the show, the Season 1 finale, that it felt like a spiritual sequel. The “Killer Frost” script couldn’t have been more different. “Runaway Dinosaur” played like a Berlanti-verse version of “What Dreams May Come” — it was lyrical, kinda beautiful, had the idea of facing ones own mortality. “Killer Frost” is like a Grisham thriller and a bit of an action movie. The pace that I was going for was “Three Days of the Condor.” That’s lofty, and I never shared that with the cast and crew, but based on the nature of the story, it’s about someone who knows something that no one else does and they’re trying to get this information before anyone else. It allowed me to tell a story that I would never tell in my own world.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Considering how the episodes for this show and Supergirl ended this week, I wonder if this crossover for all shows will be a one off and not connected to any ongoing plot lines.

I think they would have to be. I was always looking forward to the crossover, but after "Killer Frost", now I'm looking forward the follow up of all the things that happened, and I'm kinda bummed it's on pause for the crossover!

Also, about the trailer: I think I found where 'fun Cisco' went....

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Trini said:

I think they would have to be. I was always looking forward to the crossover, but after "Killer Frost", now I'm looking forward the follow up of all the things that happened, and I'm kinda bummed it's on pause for the crossover!

Also, about the trailer: I think I found where 'fun Cisco' went....

I know! And this promo is reminding me of Justice League's "Secret Origins."

I guess now I'm wondering why Supes is left out of this crossover.

Yep, now I too know where fun Cisco disappeared to.?

11 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I guess now I'm wondering why Supes is left out of this crossover.

Probably because Barry never met Superman when he visited Kara's universe, and due to the sense of urgency in dealing with the invasion threat, there probably wasn't enough time for Kara to summon Superman and introduce him to Barry before she left with Barry to go to his universe.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Probably because Barry never met Superman when he visited Kara's universe, and due to the sense of urgency in dealing with the invasion threat, there probably wasn't enough time for Kara to summon Superman and introduce him to Barry before she left with Barry to go to his universe.

Ugh but that would have been even more epic.  That's just lame, imo.  Superman has super speed and if Kara said - hey my cousin is just as strong as me too and we can both help - I don't see why Barry would say no.  He should totally be in the crossover.

I wonder how Brandon Routh felt seeing someone else suited up in the S costume?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, phoenics said:

Ugh but that would have been even more epic.  That's just lame, imo.  Superman has super speed and if Kara said - hey my cousin is just as strong as me too and we can both help - I don't see why Barry would say no.  He should totally be in the crossover.

I wonder how Brandon Routh felt seeing someone else suited up in the S costume?

Seriously. For the man who's "faster than a speeding bullet" and who could get to where Kara is in a blink, Supes could have been included in the crossover. But I guess because he's not a regular or has his own show, he was excluded. Boo!?

I would have enjoyed seeing Tyler and Grant onscreen together. Add Melissa and the adorkablness would have been off the charts!!

• Love 1
On 11/24/2016 at 6:47 AM, phoenics said:

On 11/24/2016 at 9:08 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Seriously. For the man who's "faster than a speeding bullet" and who could get to where Kara is in a blink, Supes could have been included in the crossover. But I guess because he's not a regular or has his own show, he was excluded. Boo!?

I would have enjoyed seeing Tyler and Grant onscreen together. Add Melissa and the adorkablness would have been off the charts!!

Sure there would be time to get to Supes and explain, but would he or Kara even be comfortable with leaving their earth without a protector?  (Cause apparently J'onn never counts, lol) So right there I can see in show reasons why he wouldn't come along.  

But of course you're right that the real reason is because he's not headlining any show and honestly, I would have been pissed if he'd been included just like I'd have been pissed if Batman randomly showed up to upstage characters I actually care about.  

I did enjoy Tyler's appearance as Superman, but I would hate if the big extravaganza crossover put focus on characters that aren't going to be on my shows every week.  Last year one of the reasons I thought the crossover was a bust was because we were forced to invest in a trio of characters I really could have cared less about (and my impression of Vandal Savage, Hawkman and Kendra never really improved).  

In abstract I love Batman and Superman but in abstract, I loved Hawkman and Hawkgirl, just didn't have any real connection to the versions we got and I'm not willing to gamble on what we'd get with a Batman and if he wasn't going to stick around, I wouldn't want to waste the time anyway which is the same feeling I have about Superman in the crossover.  I did like him, but he's not important enough to this Flarrowverse to spend that much time on and conversely, if he was just there in the background it would be a waste of a great character.  

So while i have plenty of things I'd love to change about the choices these show runners have made (and are likely to make) I am sooo on board with them not bringing in the big names just for the crossover.  

• Love 2
11 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Sure there would be time to get to Supes and explain, but would he or Kara even be comfortable with leaving their earth without a protector?  (Cause apparently J'onn never counts, lol) So right there I can see in show reasons why he wouldn't come along.  

But of course you're right that the real reason is because he's not headlining any show and honestly, I would have been pissed if he'd been included just like I'd have been pissed if Batman randomly showed up to upstage characters I actually care about.  

I did enjoy Tyler's appearance as Superman, but I would hate if the big extravaganza crossover put focus on characters that aren't going to be on my shows every week.  Last year one of the reasons I thought the crossover was a bust was because we were forced to invest in a trio of characters I really could have cared less about (and my impression of Vandal Savage, Hawkman and Kendra never really improved).  

In abstract I love Batman and Superman but in abstract, I loved Hawkman and Hawkgirl, just didn't have any real connection to the versions we got and I'm not willing to gamble on what we'd get with a Batman and if he wasn't going to stick around, I wouldn't want to waste the time anyway which is the same feeling I have about Superman in the crossover.  I did like him, but he's not important enough to this Flarrowverse to spend that much time on and conversely, if he was just there in the background it would be a waste of a great character.  

So while i have plenty of things I'd love to change about the choices these show runners have made (and are likely to make) I am sooo on board with them not bringing in the big names just for the crossover.  

If they could do it right, I don't think using Supes would have him taking over everyone else. He didn't overwhelm his visit on Supergirl, so they can do it. Then again, I have to remind myself who the showrunners are. But I'm still peeved there's no Supes.

And just add me to the list, if there is one, that was not impressed by these showrunners' version of Hawkman and Hawkgirl. Not when I have Michael Shanks's Carter Hall in my mind.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And just add me to the list, if there is one, that was not impressed by these showrunners' version of Hawkman and Hawkgirl. Not when I have Michael Shanks's Carter Hall in my mind.

I was very ready to love the new guy just because of how much I loved Micheal Shank's Carter Hall.  I had all that good will toward the character just ready to spill out and I really liked Kendra from the Justice League unlimited animated series.  So big fails in the translation.  

• Love 2