Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06 Hell's Heart 2018.05.30

Ummm, yeah. Mario fucked up. He didn’t take two seconds to explain DNR to a hospital volunteer. Of course she’s going to perform CPR on a man who collapses.

All the residents on this show except for Angus just need to be fired. Time to start over.

• Love 2

It's really a shame.  IMHO, the cast of Code Black is quite strong.  But they're given nothing to work with.  The plots are either recycled, contrived, or simply idiotic.

The kid in the plane (from the prior ep) is straight out of the 1970s show Emergency! (with a little help from the movie Apollo 13).  In the Emergency! ep, we actually got to see the kid (who had to fly the plane under direction) so we were actually invested in the characters.  Here, I didn't care whether mom or daughter crashed or landed, lived or died.  Not to mention that you don't just "wake up" from a makeshift defibrillator and immediately start flying a plane.

The fire plot is straight out of the recent movie about the AZ hotshots -- except they all died.  Anyone who has read about fire shelters knows they are intended for one person and firefighters are trained to do everything possible to avoid needing to use one.  Also, experiencing a fire from one is a horrific experience.  Here's how it is described:  "The experience of waiting out the fire in a shelter is harrowing.  Some veterans have compared it to living through a nuclear blast.  A typical entrapment last from 15 to 90 minutes and the urge to flee can be overwhelming.  But that's where the training comes in . . . being inside the shelter is quite difficult for firefighters --  days and weeks and months following the incident." 

Here, two people with no training jump into the same shelter and emerge ready to go on with their lives.  Not to mention that trained firefighters just abandoned a doctor and EMT in the middle of a raging fire.  Seriously?  I get that they're trying to ship Willis/the EMT and make them look like superheros, but this is getting ridiculous.  Do the writers even do basic research?  Or simply ignore what they learn?

Not that any of the other plots were better.

Even strong acting can't save this mess.  And it makes me sad b/c this could be a great show. 

• Love 8

Is it wrong that I was hoping the kid would be burnt to a crisp when they found the cabin and that Willis' idiotic action of forcing the door open and causing that huge fire blast would have killed Rox(?), just so that Willis would finally face some consequences for his dumb actions?

Also, please get rid of the teen. This show needs better writing, not a teenager, and especially not a teenage romance. If I were the social worker I'd be more worried about the teen not ever attending school and spending all her time candy striping rather than performing CPR (badly) on a patient. Speaking of which, how does the teen think she will become a doctor if she never goes to school? (also, the teen was completely unnecessary in the previous episode, made worse by the fact that she was in this episode again meddling and asking stupid things; how about doing some actual candy striping?)

How come CameraIntern suddenly knows how to do stuff? All we've seen him do so far is film, fumble around, be in the way, film, get shot, film, doing other dumb shit and film some more. And now suddenly he can do intubate someone on first try and catch the leg thing? I don't like what they're doing with Dixon. Don't like what they're doing with Rorish(sp?) either, she was so much better in the first season and pre-teen.

• Love 4

Damn. Where to begin? It's really annoying to me that there's some nice writing in there every now and then, and that when they crib characters/plots/narratives from other shows they can't stick with a good one.

The "Huh?" factor is off the charts...though I love revisiting Peter Benton and John Carter. I mean Dr. Campbell and Angus. (Hey, Benton/Carter was one of the great bromances of series TV.)

• Love 3
On 5/31/2018 at 1:24 PM, Efzee said:

Also, please get rid of the teen. This show needs better writing, not a teenager, and especially not a teenage romance. If I were the social worker I'd be more worried about the teen not ever attending school and spending all her time candy striping rather than performing CPR (badly) on a patient. Speaking of which, how does the teen think she will become a doctor if she never goes to school? (also, the teen was completely unnecessary in the previous episode, made worse by the fact that she was in this episode again meddling and asking stupid things; how about doing some actual candy striping?)

This. Completely. Ariel is so annoying. I was a candy striper a zillion years ago. I delivered flowers and worked in the snack shop. I didn’t walk the halls with dying patients. And I sure as hell knew by the time I was 14 what a DNR meant. Any teen would have googled that acronym in 2 seconds. 

And-please, what’s with Ariel’s hair? Does anyone else think it looks like a really bad wig? 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, hookedontv said:

And-please, what’s with Ariel’s hair? Does anyone else think it looks like a really bad wig? 

It does look like a bad wig.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Netfoot said:

I think that part of it is the fact that she has a head the size of a hot-air balloon.

I didn't want to say anything about that big head, but YES!

Also, is she the only candy striper in the hospital?  If there are others, I wonder what they do?

• Love 1
(edited)

I also worked as a candystriper.  We delivered food and flowers.  We replenished icewater and changed TV channels.  We got extra blankets.   We were not allowed anywhere near the ER.  And we wore blue stripes, not pink.  This was in the 1970s; I'd like to think things have progressed a bit since then in terms of apparel.  

It was drummed into us that we were not permitted to do ANYTHING of a medical nature.  If we saw a patient in distress, we would call for the nearest medical professional. But we were actual candystripers, not actors.  

Edited by dogdays2
  • Love 3

Once again, a senior physician, not to mention a senior officer in the military, spending his time for hours walking in the woods, playing search and rescue and not doing medicine? At the exact time that the hospital staff claims that their resources are stretched because of the fire?

I know, I did this complaint in other episodes, but this time it even make less sense. I am kind of glad that this show is cancelled. I started following this show on season I as it seemed to be less drama more medicine. Nowadays it is drama all over the place with a pinch of medicine.

• Love 2
On 5/31/2018 at 9:44 AM, dogdays2 said:

The fire plot is straight out of the recent movie about the AZ hotshots -- except they all died.

It was completely stolen from an episode of The Night Shift.  Beat for beat.  And hell, it was done better there.

17 hours ago, TV Anonymous said:

I know, I did this complaint in other episodes, but this time it even make less sense. I am kind of glad that this show is cancelled. I started following this show on season I as it seemed to be less drama more medicine. Nowadays it is drama all over the place with a pinch of medicine.

Remember when this was a serious show?

Why does this show continue to crap all over its minority characters?  Pepper has vanished again, and now they're making Dixon into a boob.  Mario mouths off to Leann, he gets by.  Dixon gets scared that he's going to screw something up, and Leann is ready to fire him.

On 6/1/2018 at 3:52 PM, Ohwell said:

Also, is she the only candy striper in the hospital?

Well, since they have only one surgeon in the entire hospital (along with a dufus trainee), I can see that.

Eh, Willis.  Notice the LAFD shirt that you are wearing?  It means that, while you're in the fire department, you really do work for that guy on a wildland fire.  That's the way fire departments are structured.  And you would be required to wear all the safety gear that everyone else does, too.  I found it humorous that while they were standing around the helicopter in full wind up blade rotation, nobody's hair was moving, no dust swirling...Must have been one of those stealth helicopters.  By the way, by policy, all burn injuries on fires go directly to Sherman Oaks burn center, not the uber-busy ER somewhere in central LA.

If I lived down there, I would get a medic alert bracelet that says "I will sue any ambulance company that takes me to Angels Hospital."

• Love 5
On 6/1/2018 at 5:52 PM, Ohwell said:

I didn't want to say anything about that big head, but YES!

Also, is she the only candy striper in the hospital?  If there are others, I wonder what they do?

Also, what's with the "Hello, my name is...." temporary name badge stuck on her uniform?  A lot of places give more permanent photo IDs to volunteers.  I'm sure anyone could get a candy striper uniform off Ebay and buy name labels at Office Depot.  If that's their hospital policy, it's a baby abduction waiting to happen.  

• Love 1
On 5/31/2018 at 1:24 PM, Efzee said:

Is it wrong that I was hoping the kid would be burnt to a crisp when they found the cabin and that Willis' idiotic action of forcing the door open and causing that huge fire blast would have killed Rox(?), just so that Willis would finally face some consequences for his dumb actions?

How come CameraIntern suddenly knows how to do stuff? All we've seen him do so far is film, fumble around, be in the way, film, get shot, film, doing other dumb shit and film some more. And now suddenly he can do intubate someone on first try and catch the leg thing? I don't like what they're doing with Dixon. Don't like what they're doing with Rorish(sp?) either, she was so much better in the first season and pre-teen.

or at least singed Rox's unprofessional hair - I had really long hair and it

A. Gets into everything (Thanks static) and

B. Everything gets into it. (see above)

and does this show need to repeat ER's long - really long - habit of every kid on the show (who isn't an infant or dying,) being a brat/jerk/sociopathic Ahole.

On 5/31/2018 at 9:44 AM, dogdays2 said:

It's really a shame.  IMHO, the cast of Code Black is quite strong.  But they're given nothing to work with.  The plots are either recycled, contrived, or simply idiotic.

The fire plot is straight out of the recent movie about the AZ hotshots -- except they all died.  Anyone who has read about fire shelters knows they are intended for one person and firefighters are trained to do everything possible to avoid needing to use one.  Also, experiencing a fire from one is a horrific experience.  Here's how it is described:  "The experience of waiting out the fire in a shelter is harrowing.  Some veterans have compared it to living through a nuclear blast.  A typical entrapment last from 15 to 90 minutes and the urge to flee can be overwhelming.  But that's where the training comes in . . . being inside the shelter is quite difficult for firefighters --  days and weeks and months following the incident." 

Here, two people with no training jump into the same shelter and emerge ready to go on with their lives.  Not to mention that trained firefighters just abandoned a doctor and EMT in the middle of a raging fire.  Seriously?  I get that they're trying to ship Willis/the EMT and make them look like superheros, but this is getting ridiculous.  Do the writers even do basic research?  Or simply ignore what they learn?

Not that any of the other plots were better.

Even strong acting can't save this mess.  And it makes me sad b/c this could be a great show. 

They must have been afraid that Rob and Marsha would get shipped (she is a few years older - gasp) so they brought in the hair flipper.