Type keyword(s) to search

Hollywood Game Night: S5 Red Nose Day Special

• Start Topic

So, this was the Red Nose Day Special.  There was a team of Kelly Clarkson, Sean Hayes, Sarah Silverman and Cedric the Entertainer.  The other team was Jack Black, Chelsea Handler, Isla Fisher and Sasheer Zamata.

They played Clue-Boom, Lil Picassos, Smash the Buzzer, Odd-o-Tune, Lend Me A Hand and Celebrity.

Kelly's team won even though they maybe had the weaker team.  Kelly was hyper competitive even though she was one of the weaker players on her team.  Chelsea Handler didn't really do much.  They also didn't really follow the rules since the whole point was just to win as much money as possible for charity.  I did enjoy Sarah Silverman's line when asked why she decided to help with Red Nose Day.  "My publicist thought it would be a good move."

• Love 2

Wow, Kelly Clarkson needs to dial it back. Way back. She really stunk at Clue Boom, although I hate that game anyway. I love Li'l Picassos and Lend Me A Hand. I'm sort of neutral on Smash the Buzzer. 

Overall I didn't care for this one as much without the civilian players. 

• Love 5

Kelly Clarkson came to play. Holy crap!  She might have sucked at Clue Boom, but she made it up in the end game when she was guessing names from only a vague introductory handwave from Sean Hayes.  Of course they had the advantage of knowing both names started with M&M, which narrows the field, but they also added in fictional characters as well as real celebrities, so that added a little extra.

Chelsea Handler disappointed.  Sarah Silverman impressed me. 

• Love 1

Yeah, Kelly SUCKED at Clue-Boom. I thought she was going to be that way for the whole show. But even though she said that she doesn't know anyone (Lil' Picasso), she was really good at coming up with the names in Celebrity Name Game. She was also really good at Lend Me A Hand.

Sasheer was another really good player. Besides seeming super-smart, she was also good at avoiding saying the word she was trying to get her team to say, like using 'rodent' for MouseTrap, and not saying either ball or dodge for Dodge Ball.

I was cracking up when Sarah was screaming as she tried to open the clues in Clue-Boom. And then when she was tearing up when Jack was talking about the boy he met in Uganda, well, I was tearing up along with her.

Coincidentally, yesterday a bought a box of Crayola colored pencils (100), and one of the colors was jazzberry jam, so I knew that right away.

I enjoyed both Jack's and Kelly's singing.

(edited)
On 5/25/2018 at 11:25 AM, gpgurl50 said:

Kelly's team won even though they maybe had the weaker team.

I think the teams were pretty even.  I'm not sure it would have even been a race had Jane not let the other team cheat/given them extra clues at least twice that I can think of.  It was the one time I empathized with Kelly's otherwise OTTness.  Yeah it's "fun" but come on...

20 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Yeah, Kelly SUCKED at Clue-Boom.

She sucked at giving clues.  Focusing on country music during the first clue had me shaking my head.  But I do think she was the one who guessed the people the most once she was back on the couch. 

I was impressed with both teams when it came to Lil Picasso.  I can't remember a time when both teams got so many pictures without a need for clues.

Edited by Irlandesa
1 minute ago, Irlandesa said:

I was impressed with both teams when it came to Lil Picasso.  I can't remember a time when both teams got so many pictures without need clues.

Also credit to the kids who drew 'em  ;)

• Love 1

No love for "Jack Black Leap"?  He sailed all the way from the end to the buzzer!  pretty cool!

Kelly Clarkson grated so much.  "I wouldn't cheat", but of course she did.  And her voice is gone!  I had hoped that they would have brought the All-Stars, the folks who got high scores while still making it fun.  Oh well.  At least Sean turned off his "Jack" persona for the night.

• Love 1

The country music clue for Solo cup, the margaritas clue for Strawberries.... LOL, I thought this was going to be a very, very long game.   Then she didn't know anybody in Lil Picassos or anything in the buzzer/ball game.   So color me shocked when she was pouring out all the names in Celebrity Name Game.   

11 hours ago, jhlipton said:

No love for "Jack Black Leap"?  He sailed all the way from the end to the buzzer!  pretty cool!

Yes! That was definitely awesome.

Kelly Clarkson grated so much.  "I wouldn't cheat", but of course she did.  

Even in a regular game her competitiveness would have been annoying, but this was for charity, so her getting mad about people cheating or Jane giving them credit for stuff was extra annoying. I also hated how in Clue-Boom she was all "I'm great!" when she only "won" because the confetti went off on the other team.

• Love 1

There was an awful lot of yelling in this show.  Couldn't understand many of the correct answers because there was so much noise...and it wasn't important enough to put on the closed captioning.  Seriously, were they all drunk?  Color me surprised that Jack Black was pretty calm, though.

(edited)
On 5/25/2018 at 5:11 PM, helpmerhonda said:

I almost turned this off due to the Kelly Clarkson of it all. Girl, dial it down about 12 notches. 

I've a fan so I'm used to her personality, so when non-fans see it I realize "Oh, right, people don't know Kelly is basically like a puppy who drank a can of Redbull! That she makes Brian Blessed and Jennifer Lawrence seem introverted by comparison!" I've known this since 2005!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

Somehow it's not as fun when there are no "civilians" on the team because you don't really care which side wins. Thandie Newton was MVP in Celebrity Name Game. She rocked that. 

• Love 1

I found this one pretty boring, which surprised me since there were people on I like, particularly Jeff Goldblum. Unfortunately, Clarkson is a little too much. 

Anyway, it just wasn't all that entertaining. Maybe it was my mood. Maybe the games weren't my favorites.

I liked Kelly's chaotic energy and Jennifer Garner seemed to be channeling her 14 Going on 30 character so that was fun for me. I think they stacked it with two singing/music challenges for Kelly but she delivered so I'm not mad. I love Kristen Bell. She was a solid player. Excellent at "Where Are You Going?" Yvette and Kelly are hilarious in that game. More "drivers" should yell "get out" when they get the clue. The rest of the contestants were fine.

I didn't mind that there wasn't a normal but since they weren't playing for different charities, I was unclear what they were competing for. That is, if they were all raising money for Red Nose Day it didn't make sense why it mattered which team raised more money.

It was kind of fun seeing Jeff Goldblum and Sean Hayes out of character. Not exciting enough to carry an episode but with the big personalities, I think it was fine for them to take a backseat and not ham it up.