Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Day 485

• Start Topic

oh bananas. My least favourite episode this season (should've known, the promo already left me cold last week) As I've mentioned before, I am not a fan of those Trump-politics heavy stories - its enough to deal with irl. Things like that idiot-judge or using all the tricks to get Jay into federal custody are enraging, but then the 'good side' drags a pretend art collector into court and nonchalantley uses microtargeting to sway the judge? The ending was was a bit weird too - not really in keeping with their style so far.

On the plus side: Liz and Diane working together is such a great driver for the show.

I'm curious what will happen to the firm and Diane in the final episode - as the show is tied to real life politics and with mid-terms coming up, a lot can change until the next season.

• Love 1

Yeah..I found it all amusing..and weird that ICE would fight that hard to deport one guy...Still, having Diane and Liz fight together was wonderful...and what was the tune Jay was whistling at the end?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Was this episode much shorter than the others? It seemed to be over about 10 minutes before I expected it to be.

4 hours ago, stonehaven said:

Yeah..I found it all amusing..and weird that ICE would fight that hard to deport one guy...

I was trying to figure out if I had missed a plot point where it was the government trying to prevent Jay from testifying or something. 

Loved Jay's sisters. However I was confused about why his being born in Nigeria meant he had a different name. He was still the child of his parents, wasn't he? Or was he discovering that he was his sisters' cousin?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Was this episode much shorter than the others? It seemed to be over about 10 minutes before I expected it to be.

I was trying to figure out if I had missed a plot point where it was the government trying to prevent Jay from testifying or something. 

Loved Jay's sisters. However I was confused about why his being born in Nigeria meant he had a different name. He was still the child of his parents, wasn't he? Or was he discovering that he was his sisters' cousin?

I thought it seemed shorter as well.

I think the different name was his parents' attempt to avoid any confusion/suspicion.  A genuine birth certificate existed from Nigeria so, if another birth certificate with the same name and same parents shows up in the US, it could trigger something.  Obviously it didn't work, but I think that was the intent.

(edited)

Ha! I knew there had to be a reason they focused on Jay's drawing at Adrian's bedside.

I found this episode hard to watch. It doesn't matter the story, I just have a visceral reaction to any story where injustice occurs - and I don't mean the dictionary definition of justice/injustice, I mean what (I perceive) is right. Doesn't matter if it's actual law, a bully getting away with it, an obvious truth that nobody but the speaker can see, etc.. It frustrates me so that at times it takes me out of the story.

I also understood that Jay was still the natural born son of his parents (thus still sibling to his sisters), just born before they immigrated to the USA. What isn't clear to me is if the parents immigrated legally and had two more children, why wouldn't they have done whatever was necessary to make infant Jay a citizen, too? But he said the name they told him was his uncle's name - so maybe he was actually their nephew? Yeah, that's confusing.

That Repub guy's not-so-veiled threat to Julius at the end was kind of chilling. I'm guessing this is leading up to Julius switching teams, so to speak, or at least distancing himself from the current iteration of the Repub party. Disclaimer: I'm not American, just my speculation.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I also understood that Jay was still the natural born son of his parents (thus still sibling to his sisters), just born before they immigrated to the USA. What isn't clear to me is if the parents immigrated legally and had two more children, why wouldn't they have done whatever was necessary to make infant Jay a citizen, too? But he said the name they told him was his uncle's name - so maybe he was actually their nephew? Yeah, that's confusing.

My guess is that his parents immigrated illegally, but at a time when having children born in the USA would allow you to stay.  It was mentioned that his parents where dead, so their citizenship status is moot.  Instead, we get Jay who is analogous to a DREAMER (although he doesn't have the current protection under DACA).  Had the issue with his birth certificate arose a few years earlier, it probably could have been easily solved with a few court filings, which his employers would have been happy to do for him.  

I did miss the part about the Uncle, though...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Terrific episode, although I didn't like the end. It was also shorter than usual.

I'm looking forward to the finale next week, but I'm terribly sad that this show isn't going to be back for ages.

• Love 1
(edited)

Very weird episode, at least 12 minutes shorter than normal for the series (I know streaming shows have more flexibility on run times, but usually that means they tend to run longer, not dramatically shorter) with some choppy editing, and I don't think Lucca appears in it at all. Did they have to do a last minute edit and drop an entire subplot for some reason? The teaser for the season finale also seemed to use mostly past clips.

Edited by BobH
  • Love 1
On 5/21/2018 at 12:03 PM, gonzosgirrl said:

Ha! I knew there had to be a reason they focused on Jay's drawing at Adrian's bedside.

I found this episode hard to watch. It doesn't matter the story, I just have a visceral reaction to any story where injustice occurs - and I don't mean the dictionary definition of justice/injustice, I mean what (I perceive) is right. Doesn't matter if it's actual law, a bully getting away with it, an obvious truth that nobody but the speaker can see, etc.. It frustrates me so that at times it takes me out of the story.

That Repub guy's not-so-veiled threat to Julius at the end was kind of chilling. I'm guessing this is leading up to Julius switching teams, so to speak, or at least distancing himself from the current iteration of the Repub party. Disclaimer: I'm not American, just my speculation.

The sisters were born here so they're automatically citizens. That's why they pretended that Jay was younger - so he could use a fake copy of his sister's birth certificate and pass for a kid born in the United States. 

I will have to handwave the fact that there was a picture of Jay with his younger sister but no mention of old pics of him with the middle/twin sister, because I know that would have ruined the plot. 

Again, we have the government attempting to destroy a law firm. Is this really what happens in the US? Going after illegal immigrants I can see (they lack the resources to fight back and it shows you're "being tough"), but going after a law firm seems like deliberately picking a fight with a potentially dangerous opponent. And last time, the government deliberately allowed a State-wide power cut in failing to destroy them. Do these politicians really see it as a good investment of their time/effort?

On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 4:52 AM, SomeTameGazelle said:

I assumed that had to be the case! But no, it seemed to be just random chance that they caught him driving along that stretch of highway. If Maia had fought harder against his arrest, it seemed he would have been scot free (maybe?) - if I've learned anything from my degree in TV Law, if the cops ask you to do anything, you say no and ask for a warrant/court order. Did like the State Judge, who was a principled supporter of our heroes but kept within the law. I would say "You go girl!" if it wasn't incredibly patronising toward a professional woman who is older than me (and fictional)!

• Love 1