Type keyword(s) to search

Season Five Wishlist: Fears, Hopes, and Theories

So, for the fifth season of Jane the Virgin, I have created this topic for people to come in and share their thoughts on what they think, hope, or fear will happen, so that the episode thread isn't too cluttered with the major twist thoughts. 

This thread will also be spoiler free. Any spoilers, please take to the Spoilers and Speculation thread. 

I'm not even going to speculate about how they're going to explain Michael's whereabouts during those 5 years as I don't think an adequate explanation exists. Also, I'm 100% sure that he and Jane are not the endgame and that she'll be with Rafael in the end.

I am going to lay out my possible theories about the final outcome, though. So, in order of likelihood AND my personal preference:

1) Both he and Jane quickly come to realization that too much time has passed, they're different people now, what they had is behind them and there's no sense in trying to relive it. They remain on friendly terms, but find their romantic hapiness with other people. Jane with Rafael and Michael with someone else. Mabye River Fields. That would be kinda awesome.

2) It's not Michael but an impostor, and the whole thing was an evil scheme by the evil Rose because she's evil. It would be kinda lame and if it is what happens, I hope it's resolved VERY quickly. The upside of this story would be that maybe people would FINALLY notice the role Rose had in Michael's actual death.

3) Jane and Michael do get back together, but eventually she realizes she doesn't love him anymore and chooses Rafael, leaving Michael heartbroken. It would be brutal and I don't really think they'd go there. 

Also, I wish I cared about the "who JR shot??!" thing, but like I said in the episode thread, I'm beyond tired of Petra constantly being tied to the proverbial whipping post. 

• Love 1

I care about #JRshotwho?! so I'll speculate: would it be too much if Anezka was also back from the dead, and that's who JR shot? I could see Petra saying she shot her, not JR, and because the initial case was dismissed with prejudice, she couldn't be tried again, right?

If it's not her, I don't know. According to the EP, it's someone we've seen before, and it's not Magda. Miloš and Rose are still in prison, Luisa and Chuck don't seem murderous... is Lachlan still kicking around somewhere?

1) I think that Jane will be confused and need space from both Rafael and Michael. Then, some random things will happen that will make Rafael believe that she'll choose Michael. Or, they won't be random because Michael will scheme again (because he has the Petra gene). Rafael will withdraw himself emotionally because he'll feel rejected again. Jane will realize that she's not into Michael anymore but the whole situation will make things weird between her and Rafael and/or Rafael won't be sure anymore because he'll have a hard time believing that she's really over Michael. So, in the meantime, they will maybe date other people, Jane will have sex with Michael, and they will go back and forth, until they get back at the end of the next season. 

2) Mateo will become even more insufferable and he won't be very nice to Michael. 

3) Rafael will have to find a new dream that isn't Jane's or Jane-related, or anything to keep himself occupied. So, he'll somehow find his parents, become rich again, get himself into something stupid, or all of those. I hope his cancer doesn't come back but maybe one is enough (I mean, Xo's, because Rafael's happened before we met him). I actually think that one of his parents will turn out to be okayish enough for Rafael to have some sort of relationship with them. But I'm not sure where this prediction is coming from. 

4) I wanted to include some prediction for Petra and JR but I'm unable to think of anything that would be crazy enough to make it likely.

5) Alba will have sex with Jorge. 

Whether this is Michael or fake Michael, in the end it was still Rose's fault that she took Michael away.

I want Michael to be alive because he was one of my favorite characters on this show.

For whatever Rose reason, I could see that she had poisoned Michael to mimic his death and then used her minions to take him away from his loved ones. He could have been in a coma, have amnesia or been imprisoned by Rose for all this time.

I don't want him to be fake because it would be another crime that Rose has committed to inflict the most damage on Jane. Honestly, she kidnapped Mateo at birth, shot Michael which led to his "death," and may or may have not kidnapped Michael away from his family. She is horrible, horrible person and has not being really punished for all his crimes.

• Love 2

Here's another EP interview (I don't consider any of this spoilery because she's being pretty cagey, but extreme spoilerphobes may want to avoid):

DEADLINE: You mentioned Rose. It’s probably not a coincidence that the appearance of the mystery character who looks exactly like Michael was tied to Rose who is known for faking other people’s physical appearance.

SNYDER URMAN:  I think that it’s impossible not to wonder about that because you have a character, Rose, that is tied to his reappearance, and you know what Rose is capable of, but that’ll be answered the night of the premiere of the fifth season.

• Love 1

For me, who is just catching up on what I've missed, I just want them to treat Michael's return with respect and dignity. What Jane and everyone went through over the four years was a long road to recovering and being able to move on, and I don't want that wasted because Michael is alive again. I also don't want them to ruin what the show had with Michael for the first two and a half years either. There are so many ways this could go wrong, where they could handle this badly and have Michael look like the bad guy or ruin the progress Jane seems to have made over the years. 

12 hours ago, nilyank said:

For whatever Rose reason, I could see that she had poisoned Michael to mimic his death and then used her minions to take him away from his loved ones. He could have been in a coma, have amnesia or been imprisoned by Rose for all this time.

For me, as horrifying as this sounds, this may be the best route to approach the whole Michael returning situation. Him choosing to leave Jane would cause a whole slew of messes and it would fall back on Michael and the character we grew to know. I want this to be the real Michael, but I also don't want him to be the one to choose to leave Jane and his family and friends behind. That would certainly ruin what Jane and Michael did have together. Him being drugged and kidnapped by Rose and her minions and probably having amnesia, either by trying to escape Rose at one point and hitting his head, or by other means, would probably be the kindest way to handle this already delicate situation. But also, it would truly cement Rose as a villain that nobody is actually supposed to root for, even with her whatever fling with Luisa (as I assume the show, in its fourth season, was still trying to do). 

I already know how season 5 is roughly going to go, even with the show's many twists and turns, so I just want them to be able to give Michael, the character, a happy ending, even with them being unable to give Michael his happy ending with Jane. 

As for the other plots, I shall comment once I finish catching up. 

• Love 1

Obviously, him being kidnapped by Rose and/or having amnesia would be the only explanation that doesn't verge on character assassination. Now, I'm not sure what Rose's motives would be to 1) take him away in the first place, 2) keep him locked up all those years and 3) release him precisely at this point. To me it would perhaps make more sense if she sent in a fake Michael to mess with Rafael for not telling her where Luisa was. Oh, and speaking of that, I call BS on her not being able to track Luisa down. It didn't take Jane much to figure out where she might be, so Rose who supposedly knows her best should have no trouble doing so either. It wouldn't surprise me if it turned out (yet again!) that those two had been in touch the whole time. But whatever the truth is, apparently we'll know Michael's real identity right away, so that's something. I'd hate to see it be dragged out. 

TBH, the cynic in me believes they only pulled this stunt so Jane could choose Rafael for real this time, with no lingering "what ifs?". And as for Michael('s fans), well, at least he's not dead, so there you have it. 

Edited by Joana
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, Joana said:

Obviously, him being kidnapped by Rose and/or having amnesia would be the only explanation that doesn't verge on character assassination. Now, I'm not sure what Rose's motives would be to 1) take him away in the first place, 2) keep him locked up all those years and 3) release him precisely at this point. To me it would perhaps make more sense if she sent in a fake Michael to mess with Rafael for not telling her where Luisa was. Oh, and speaking of that, I call BS on her not being able to track Luisa down. It didn't take Jane much to figure out where she might be, so Rose who supposedly knows her best should have no trouble doing so either. It wouldn't surprise me if it turned out (yet again!) that those two had been in touch the whole time. But whatever the truth is, apparently we'll know Michael's real identity right away, so that's something. I'd hate to see it be dragged out. 

TBH, the cynic in me believes they only pulled this stunt so Jane could choose Rafael for real this time, with no lingering "what ifs?". And as for Michael('s fans), well, at least he's not dead, so there you have it. 

I think it was both about messing with Michael and Rafael, as people she considers responsible for revealing her identity and putting her in prison. Assuming she had someone to update her about Rafael and Jane (which couldn't have been difficult, considering where they both work), she waited until everything was perfect between them and dropped the bomb to ruin it. I admit that it makes moderate sense for a criminal mastermind to do something like this, but I don't have a better hypothesis. 

I agree that it's likely the reason why they brought Michael back. "What ifs?" aren't that great in big love stories, and there was no way to eliminate them without bringing him back. 

• Love 1

My guess is that Michael will have amnesia, so Jane will be focused on helping him try to recover his memory. They’ll also discover that Jane and Michael are technically still married, now that the death certificate has been vacated, and Jane will feel pressure to try to make her marriage work. This, of course, will be so hurtful to Rafael and he will pull away. Jane will also be very sad because she loves Rafael and Michael is not the same person she married. Eventually, Michael will regain his memories and he and Jane will grow close again, but they’ll ultimately decide they’re better as friends now. Jane will reunite with Rafael toward the end of the season, eventually marrying him. Not sure what will be Michael's endgame, but I’m sure they will find a happy one for him. I think Alba and Jorge’s fake marriage will become a real one over time. I think Xo will beat the breast cancer and Ro’s show will be a success. JR and Petra will break up (so Rosario can do other stuff), but reunite toward the end of the series. It’s a telenovela, so basically everything will work out in the end.

• Love 2

I think the amnesia thing is more likely, but if not, my guess would be that Michael agreed to leave because Rose threatened to hurt Jane/Mateo if he didn't. This would add an interesting layer, because Jane would feel like he sacrificed five years of his life for her. But I would prefer amnesia. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Joana said:

Yeah, the more I think about it the more convinced I become that this is why they brought Michael back. So that Rafael can feel like he's Jane's First Choice.

Which is kind of silly, to be honest, because the important question for Rafael shouldn't really be "Will Jane choose Rafael over amnesiac/kidnapped/whatever Michael who she doesn't even know any more because they haven't talked in like five years?". The question Rafael (should) need answered is more like "Would Jane have stayed with Michael once they got married and whatever happened to Michael didn't happen?", which is a question no one can answer.

• Love 2
On 4/21/2018 at 5:24 PM, Cranberry said:

I care about #JRshotwho?! so I'll speculate: would it be too much if Anezka was also back from the dead, and that's who JR shot? I could see Petra saying she shot her, not JR, and because the initial case was dismissed with prejudice, she couldn't be tried again, right?

If it's not her, I don't know. According to the EP, it's someone we've seen before, and it's not Magda. Miloš and Rose are still in prison, Luisa and Chuck don't seem murderous... is Lachlan still kicking around somewhere?

My theory is that it is Scott, Anezka's husband, and former worker at the hotel.  Even though we saw a skeleton, with his name tag on it, on the beach, I still think Scott didn't die, and has now come back to seek revenge on Petra.

Edited by cardigirl
  • Love 1
On April 21, 2018 at 9:57 AM, Joana said:

2) It's not Michael but an impostor, and the whole thing was an evil scheme by the evil Rose because she's evil. It would be kinda lame and if it is what happens, I hope it's resolved VERY quickly. The upside of this story would be that maybe people would FINALLY notice the role Rose had in Michael's actual death.

I like this scenario a lot. If they went that route, it would a) not tarnish Michael's character and b) may allow for that final nail in Rose's coffin to finally be driven in. If they went with that scenario, I'd like to see Jane chose Rafael over Michael before it is revealed he is not the real Michael.

As for #JRshotwho, it could be so many people! Milos, Lachlan, Scott, etc... I am dismissing Magda as I don't think she could climb through a window to hide in the apartment (if that's how who ever it is JR shot got in in the first place).

• Love 1

I think "Michael" is actually his brother with the face change technology that Rose is known for. Remember how similar they looked? If Raf did his due diligence and DNA tested New!Michael, he could have been a perfect match with Michael's parents, and thus assumed to be Michael. The question is why Rose would recreate a Michael. 

Or Michael never came back from being undercover that six months when he wasn't speaking to Jane. The guy who reappeared was actually Fake!Michael who was a plastic surgery version of Michael. Now this guy is real Michael and Jane actually lost her virginity to a fake Michael.

I think Lachlan is who JR shot. Or Louisa! 

So there’s nowhere to really post this, but I’ve been rewatching and I noticed a plot hole, in the 3rd season, since it’s the start of the noticing the switch Petra thing. In the season 2 episode where Jane and Michael rent the house, Petra specifically says to the realtor “do they know I’m the owner”. But then in the next season they specifically say someone was paying have the rent and a different realtor was showing the house. Which obv wouldn’t have happed if Petra owned the house. If they changed one line in the first ep it would all make so much more sense. 

So I rewatched the show and realized something - a few weeks before Michael's return we see a man with jeans and boots walking, just his lower legs and feet. The narrator says something about you never know when something evil is headed your way but we would learn about that in a few weeks.

Going off that short scene, I have a theory it might be bunnies.

Just kidding, my theory is that Michael is dead and this is an imposter created by Rose as revenge against Rafael for refusing to tell her where Luisa is. Note that she did not bring this news to Raf until after he refused numerous times to tell where Luisa is. If Nadine (Michael's partner from the first season) is still alive, she could provide them with details about Michael and Jane as he confided in Nadine when he was sleeping with her after they broke up. Plus, Rose is definitely an eye for an eye kind of gal and keeping Rafael away from his true love because he won't tell her where hers is is perfectly in character.

As for who JR shot - I think we are going back to first season on this one and Lachlan is the stalker.

• Love 1

I think that Michael will have amnesia cuz that's one of the things Rogelio was talking about as a classic Telenovela twist! I mean, they basically lead up to it. Another one of Rogelio's plot twists for The Passions of Steve and Brenda  is that "the maid was his mother" which I totally see as foreshadowing that Raf's parents are someone who's been there all along. I also think that reintroducing Michael is just a way for Jane to finally choose Rafael (cuz personally I think that made the most sense from the beginning).

Last note: they mentioned that the narrator will be revealed as someone in the show and I think it's gonna be Mateo years later OR Alba's husband Mateo. 

Ok done with late-night telenovela theories now. ;) 

• Love 2
On 4/27/2018 at 11:09 PM, BoogieBurns said:

Or Michael never came back from being undercover that six months when he wasn't speaking to Jane. The guy who reappeared was actually Fake!Michael who was a plastic surgery version of Michael. Now this guy is real Michael and Jane actually lost her virginity to a fake Michael.

I like this idea.  Real Michael has been deep undercover all this time.  Unaware of what has transpired over the past 6 years.  I just binge watched seasons 2-4 over the past couple weeks.  

• Love 2