Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Haunted

MostlyC
  • Start Topic

Conrad is hit by a bike and badly sprains his ankle; Conrad must help his old medical professor, who is having visions of her old patients; Nic navigates her emotions while mourning the loss of a patient; Bell operates on a foreign dignitary.

Jude going off on Bell was beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. What a dick for firing Jude. Of course he’s all excited that he found the mass in his intestines, but Jude would have found it as well. He needs to go down now, along with Lane.

The neurosurgeon storyline was great. Conrad punishing himself because of Lily was sad to see. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 14

I think it's more accurate to say that Conrad hit the cyclist. Lane is counting on the autopsy showing that Lili died from an overdose of the chemo drugs so as to point a finger at Nic. I loved Nic handling that body guard -- "I'm a nurse, not an assassin!" Touch me again and I'll take you out! Lane better watch herself.

• Love 6

Mina fangirling was everything. I couldn't help but smile, she was just adorb. "Thank you for being my hero" awww. It was so cool to see her with a kindred spirit and to see those two women bond. The sick mentor is a staple of the genre but I did like how they twisted it here to make it the more optimistic storyline of the episode, whereas generally the mentor is bound to die or become senile and is a source of angst for the main characters. Here, she was a source of hope, which I liked. "People need doctors like you" was a bit reminiscent of the heavy-handed first episodes, although Conrad being at a low made it tolerable and what was actually onscreen didn't belie it. I can live with "show and tell" from time to time.

I'm not fond of ghosts in medical shows, to say the least, but it was made clear that those weren't supernatural elements so I was OK with it in the end. The visuals were rather effective.

One thing I appreciate lately is how more and more different characters interact without Conrad being present, although he stays the central character. It gives better balance to the show as a whole when the cast is integrated. I loved the Mina/Dev/Feldman scene. Dev and Nic also took their independence. Nic was great with the Chinese VIP (it was obviously a punishment, loved how she turned the tables) and Emily Van Camp's facial expressions when dealing with Bell were spot on. Dev was right on the money about Conrad and I liked how he expressed himself, very calmly, without aggressiveness or spite; and Conrad trusts him enough now not to use The Smirk and give him shit. Their relationship evolved in a great way. They aren't really buddies they're very different, but they're building the basis for a solid friendship.

It was a good thing that Conrad, who's giving hard truths to everyone, was also able to take those hard truths. It makes him not a hypocrite, which is important in my book.

Bye, Jude. I'm sorry to say that I won't miss you since it means the unnecessary love triangle is over. Yay!

I reckoned "grief sex?" when Nic took Conrad home. I began to roll my eyes when they got closer, "ugh, yeah, grief sex". But. Then there was that hug, and it completely changed my perspective since I did feel the emotional closeness between the characters. My reaction would have been different had they immediately jumped each other but I ended up thinking "yeah, OK, have grief sex you crazy kids".

Now, Lane. I'm seriously in love to hate with that character. She is so devious, it's almost admirable. She can't stop the investigation, so she goes along with it and plans to get rid of Claire instead? OMG. Evil genius and I don't want to lose Melina Kanakaredes if there's a season 2 because she's so perfect as a villain. Lane is playing Bell like a violin (in every little detail, like the opened buttons at the top of her blouse when she was in his office). And Team Shady has serious chemistry. I should be sorry, but I'm not. Her manipulations are so enjoyable to watch in a no she didn't way. I'm ready for a cop-out, though, re: Lily's murder, and an angel of death to have done it instead -not that it'd make Lane a better person, let's be clear.

Claire doesn't know what's going to hit her. I can't wait.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 10

Oh my gosh was that Erika Slezak -- aka Victoria Lord as the medical professor?  I thought the episode was for the most part a stall and kind of boring.  I really hate Bell. 

• Love 8

I like this show but Matt Czuchry ruins it almost completely for me.  The stance, the hulking around, the open mouth trying to express....something.  Ugh.  reminds me of G. Clooney on ER when he was forever bobbing his head and being too distracting.  Knock it off Matt.  Everybody else...great.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Granny58 said:

I like this show but Matt Czuchry ruins it almost completely for me.  The stance, the hulking around, the open mouth trying to express....something.  Ugh.  reminds me of G. Clooney on ER when he was forever bobbing his head and being too distracting.  Knock it off Matt.  Everybody else...great.  

Oh it is all so terrible. Was he better on the "good wife" I don't remember him being so annoying.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, BooBear said:

Oh it is all so terrible. Was he better on the "good wife" I don't remember him being so annoying.

8 hours ago, Granny58 said:

While on the subject of dissing Matt, what was the purpose of the sprained ankle?  It really took away from the plotlines.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, BooBear said:

I don't know...this is the first thing I've seen him in.  Hope somebody he knows reads this board and advises him.

• Love 1

Someone could consider that episode a "filler" after what happened with Lily and Lane  in the previous episode. But I don't think so. I think it did a really good job showing what doctors go through when they lose a patient and how much that affect them especially when they're convinced it's because they didn't do enough or made a mistake. So, most of them are not like Dr. Bell or dr Lane and everyone has their way to face those tragedies. The show does have some soap opera elements but at the same time and is more deeper than that and often, when you do expect it to go in the soap opera territory it surprises you and changes direction. It's a balanced mixture right now. I'm enjoying it a lot. 

On 4/17/2018 at 10:47 AM, Happy Harpy said:

"People need doctors like you" was a bit reminiscent of the heavy-handed first episodes, although Conrad being at a low made it tolerable and what was actually onscreen didn't belie it. I can live with "show and tell" from time to time.

I think it was supposed to make up for the fact that elsewhere Devon told him he was a better doctor for Lily. I think the show is doing a pretty good job with Conrad. Usually I ended up having issues with the way "central" characters are written and how writers often end up turning them into a Mary Sue to detriment of other characters. But IMO the writing about Conrad is well nuanced and balanced and Matt Czuchry was definitely the right choice to play him because he knows how to add nuances and layers to his characters even when they are not in the script. 

Now, Lane. I'm seriously in love to hate with that character. She is so devious, it's almost admirable. She can't stop the investigation, so she goes along with it and plans to get rid of Claire instead? OMG. Evil genius and I don't want to lose Melina Kanakaredes if there's a season 2 because she's so perfect as a villain. Lane is playing Bell like a violin (in every little detail, like the opened buttons at the top of her blouse when she was in his office). And Team Shady has serious chemistry. I should be sorry, but I'm not. Her manipulations are so enjoyable to watch in a no she didn't way. I'm ready for a cop-out, though, re: Lily's murder, and an angel of death to have done it instead -not that it'd make Lane a better person, let's be clear.

Melina Kanakaredes is doing a great job with that character and I think we'll keep seeing her in a season 2 because I doubt Nic & Co. will able to unmask her by the end of the season.

One thing I appreciate lately is how more and more different characters interact without Conrad being present, although he stays the central character. It gives better balance to the show as a whole when the cast is integrated. I loved the Mina/Dev/Feldman scene. Dev and Nic also took their independence. Nic was great with the Chinese VIP (it was obviously a punishment, loved how she turned the tables) and Emily Van Camp's facial expressions when dealing with Bell were spot on. Dev was right on the money about Conrad and I liked how he expressed himself, very calmly, without aggressiveness or spite; and Conrad trusts him enough now not to use The Smirk and give him shit. Their relationship evolved in a great way. They aren't really buddies they're very different, but they're building the basis for a solid friendship.

Yeah, I'm here because Matt Czuchry but I'm not fan of shows which are focused just on a character. And that's definitely an ensemble show with a great cast and with well developed dynamics between all the characters.

Edited by Klapaucius
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, preeya said:

While on the subject of dissing Matt, what was the purpose of the sprained ankle?  It really took away from the plotlines.

I believe it was to show us how he punishes himself physically with guilt over his patients.  Cause he is a macho doctor and can't just cry about it like the rest of us. 

2 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

I think it did a really good job showing what doctors go through when they lose a patient and how much that affect them especially when they're convinced it's because they didn't do enough or made a mistake.

I have seen that on a zillion "good doctor" shows.  I liked Dr. Victoria Lord but I thought her plot was pointless and heavy handed (actual visions of people) and didn't really go anyplace.   If there was some way to integrate her into the show for next year (expand the action to medical teaching as well) I might change my mind. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

People seemed angry this epi and strangely 'honest'. Also seemed contrived or they filmed the show hung over after a big party or something.

The chemo clinic dr is now seeking cover. Bell although an SOB also seems like a pragmatist and might realize the chemo doc will have to be dumped.

The plot point about a b12 deficiency was concerning to me for a bit. I'm not a vegan nor a vegetarian, but I got DXed with that recently. My first quick thought when Con mentioned it to his mentor was: "oh, shit, I'm gonna start seeing dead people next???" Low b12 results in weird symptoms but that was a new one!

• Love 1
8 hours ago, rhys said:

The plot point about a b12 deficiency was concerning to me for a bit. I'm not a vegan nor a vegetarian, but I got DXed with that recently. My first quick thought when Con mentioned it to his mentor was: "oh, shit, I'm gonna start seeing dead people next???" Low b12 results in weird symptoms but that was a new one!

Yes, one symptom of vitamin B12 deficiency is psychosis or other psychiatric conditions (mania, depression, dementia).  Pretty scary stuff.

I've seen plenty of dirty stuff on television, but watching Hunter and Bell making out might have been one of the most disturbing moments yet!  They are admittedly effective together, although it seems like Hunter is really running the show.  And there is a hint that they might do the route of Bell taking an administrator role, by them gunning after Claire for allowing cameras into the O.R.  I can see it happening since I can't seem Bell continue to slip by for much longer.

I wasn't wild about Jude, but it sucks for him that he become another victim of Bell's arrogance and ego.  But at least he gets to leave this hospital in one piece!

Always great seeing Tzi Ma!

Conrad's mentor was a nice character and I liked that she inspired Mina.

Conrad being guilt-ridden and refusing to treat his ankle was typical Conrad behavior, but I loved how Devon kept on him to get a scooter, and never backed down. 

Poor Nic is so taking the fall for Hunter killing Lily.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I love this show so much! Sooo much!

That said...........MY EYES!!!! My poor eyes watching the evil ship mack! *shudders* 

They are so villainous it will be interesting to see how they progress and how they turn on each other if (when?) things go south for them.

Conrad was being typical Conrad but I ADORED Devon for delivering such a wonderful smackdown without being overly mean! And it was so cute how he admitted Conrad under his care.

Wonderful story between Mina and Conrad's mentor. The shows writes very well for all it's characters.

Sad to see Jude go but I think they must have decided to abandon the love triangle so got rid of him.

Nic and Conrad remind me of the asian series I watch where they cast two popular actors to be the OTP and fans get very excited. I really like both actors so this is right up my alley and I'm totally on board! I enjoy the way they've been written. Angst yes but not stupid contrived angst and they tend to come to their senses pretty quickly and realistically! I liked that they both had their rough moments this ep (understandably so) but could talk about it at the end of the day.

• Love 5