Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E02: Tuesday Meeting

Over a drunken power lunch, Jess and Cece decide to stand up to Russell and demand Jess be given more responsibility in her new job. Meanwhile, Nick struggles to come up with ideas for a new book and Schmidt is desperate to get Ruth to sleep.

I have to confess, Ruth has stolen my cold, grumpy heart. I'm amazed how well she did given how much they gave her to do. Kudos! 

This was my least enjoyable incarnation of Jess, though, the riled-up borderline lunatic. I felt like she was one step away from going through the car-wash in the bed of a pickup truck. I'm glad the resolution came quickly though. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Traveller519 said:

I have to confess, Ruth has stolen my cold, grumpy heart. I'm amazed how well she did given how much they gave her to do. Kudos! 

This was my least enjoyable incarnation of Jess, though, the riled-up borderline lunatic. I felt like she was one step away from going through the car-wash in the bed of a pickup truck. I'm glad the resolution came quickly though. 

Yeah.. this felt like a too ouch Jess being zany episode for me. Or whatever.

I do love the Schmidt family though. I mean.. if this had been a full season I’d probably worry us having to deal with a three year but since we have a short supply of episodes I enjoy their little family. “Have you ever seen a magical bear?” “Were you ever little like me Uncle Nick?” She’s adorable! I want more of little Ruth with the adults.

Speaking of which.. my main question was why was Winston running around trying to watch the three men and a baby box set when he should be at his house preparing for his own child? I was waiting for them to be bring it up that he was avoiding his soon to be fatherhood  by running around different houses to watch this movie.. but was there any mention of his new parenthood that’s coming? If there was I must have missed it. 

• Love 2

Usually I can barely tolerate child actors, especially the really young ones who are chosen for their cuteness rather than their non-existent acting skills but Ruth is freaking adorable and she's a very natural actor. I would gladly watch half an hour of Ruth every week.

I know that Schmidt and Winston were trying to help Nick, but straight up plagiarizing a well known text? That was dumb even for them.

My favorite part of the Three Men and a Baby plot was when Winston or Schmidt said, "I thought Nick was the Guttenberg but I'm beginning to think he's the baby." Bonus: Jess singing Goodnight Sweetheart far better than the boys did.

• Love 6

Ruth is far more appealing than most child actors, but I still hope they don’t lean too heavily on her. The heart of this show is the loft-mates. Although I don’t mind Dylan McDermott Mulroney Rupert Everett McConaughey. That guy is charming. 

We better get a Classic Winston and CeCe Mess-Around or else somebody’s gonna have to sell their classic Volvo wagon to bail me out of a Mexican jail if you know what I mean. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Usually I can barely tolerate child actors, especially the really young ones who are chosen for their cuteness rather than their non-existent acting skills but Ruth is freaking adorable and she's a very natural actor. I would gladly watch half an hour of Ruth every week.

I loved the scenes she was in last night.

37 minutes ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Ruth is far more appealing than most child actors, but I still hope they don’t lean too heavily on her.

The social media about this season has been saying the title New Girl now applies to Ruth and not Jess. So, it may have a good chunk of little Baby Ruth (TM Friends) every episode.

10 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

She is two people: Rhiannan and Danielle Rockoff. So it's good that the twins seem to both be equally charming and natural. But I do think having twins play a three year old means they will be giving her a lot of material in the 6 remaining episodes. 

56 minutes ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

We better get a Classic Winston and CeCe Mess-Around or else somebody’s gonna have to sell their classic Volvo wagon to bail me out of a Mexican jail if you know what I mean. 

I'll bail you out. But we better not need to! 

• Love 2

I still feel like the best parts of the episode are ad-libbed by the actors. Like Schmidt asking Nick why he had a copy of Chairman Mao's Little Red Book. "See a red book, buy a red book." That felt like a very old-school New Girl moment, with Nick and Schmidt sort of riffing. Or Ruth ordering Nick to come with her and him saying "If anyone's the boss I am." The genuine moments feel unscripted. The scripted moments feel very weak. Which is odd, because they've had a WHOLE YEAR to write - what - seven episodes total? And this is the best they could do? Ugh. The actors are game, but the writing just isn't there for them.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Ugh. The actors are game, but the writing just isn't there for them.

Wonder if during that extended hiatus, they lost some of their better writers to other shows. Or, if they are all so checked-out that they can't be bothered. 

The dress was beautiful, I loved it.

I liked this episode a lot more than the premiere.  The premiere was too weird, too jarring.  This episode I actually laughed.  Maybe things are more back in the groove now.  I didn't find Jess annoying (but I don't think I ever do) and the actor who plays Cece feels more capable now than before.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I still feel like the best parts of the episode are ad-libbed by the actors. Like Schmidt asking Nick why he had a copy of Chairman Mao's Little Red Book. "See a red book, buy a red book." That felt like a very old-school New Girl moment, with Nick and Schmidt sort of riffing. Or Ruth ordering Nick to come with her and him saying "If anyone's the boss I am." The genuine moments feel unscripted. The scripted moments feel very weak.

Just because it "feels unscripted" doesn't mean it was unscripted. Unless you've seen the sides, I would not assume those lines were ad-libbed.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

My favorite part of the Three Men and a Baby plot was when Winston or Schmidt said, "I thought Nick was the Guttenberg but I'm beginning to think he's the baby." Bonus: Jess singing Goodnight Sweetheart far better than the boys did.

I thought Winston said “little lady” instead of the baby. Either way, I was dying. The Three Men and a Baby/Lady series are two of my favorite (yet ridiculous) movies I could rewatch whenever. If this season wasnt seven episodes long, I wish we’d see Nick, Winston and Schmidt on an adventure with Ruth.

Loved the song at the end, I wonder how many times they had to do the scene with Ruth before they nailed it. Winston finally got to sing the song with someone! 

I laughed a lot this episode. I love when they just get to be ridiculous with each other. I wish that the girls hadnt been separated almost the whole show. I want to have lots of scenes with the core five together.

Think we’ll see one last True American game before the end of the show?

• Love 2

Just because it "feels unscripted" doesn't mean it was unscripted. Unless you've seen the sides, I would not assume those lines were ad-libbed.

True, but the aired outtakes they used to show in the early seasons clearly demonstrate that the actors are allowed (if not encouraged) to "riff" endlessly, sort of like how the Judd Apatow movies get made.  There seem to be endless takes for any given scene, allowing the director to use whichever he found funniest. So we do know that goes on.

Ruby is so adorable, and I totally see her ad the daughter of Schmidt and CeCe. She has great comedic timing, and she works well with the other actors. 

Heheh. "I thought he was Guttenburg, but I think he might be the little lady." 

I also admit to being really amused by watching CeCe chug both wine AND coffee at the same time. "I cant feel my face!" "Is that good?" "I dont know!" 

• Love 2

I HATED the entire lunch scene with Jess and Cece. I couldn’t stand the way CeCe was speaking, it drove me up up the wall. 

I still think Ruth is adorable and I enjoyed the rest of the episode! Although I did find it strange that there was no mention at all of the proposal storyline. 

1 hour ago, srpturtle80 said:

Although I did find it strange that there was no mention at all of the proposal storyline. 

Oh yeah, and it was clear that Jess has been working her new job for multiple Tuesdays, so it may have been 3 weeks that passed between episodes. He has a month to propose.

Ruth is adorable. I didn't realize that she was played by twins until just now when I was trying to look up the age of the actress. It helps too that so far her dialogue seems fair for a three year old. A lot of the time the problem I have with child actors is that the writers give them lines that indicate they may have never met a child before in their lives.

• Love 2

The bit with Schmidt reading Nick's (bizarrely short) list of words that rhyme with moon killed me. Max Greenfield's one-of-a-kind line deliveries are a treasure.

• Love 3