Type keyword(s) to search

Famous In Love - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Paige Townsen is a normal college girl working on her business degree who enjoys acting on the side. When the next big movie franchise goes into production and opens its doors looking for the next “It girl” to play the lead role, Paige’s roommates Cassie and Jake convince her to go to the open casting call. Never in her wildest dreams does she think she will even make it to the callbacks, but after an electric audition with Hollywood heartthrob Rainer Devon, her chance of a lifetime happens. She gets the part and her life is about to change forever. Meanwhile, intrigue is flowing through Hollywood as every actor wants a part in the new “Locked” film.

According to the Freeform press release all episodes will be available online and on demand when the pilot airs. Don't read this episode topic if you have not yet watched the episode and don't want to be spoiled.

Not all people will be able to watch all episodes at once, so please try not to spoil others and don't post anything in this thread about later episodes.

On the eve of the big "Locked" cast announcement party, Paige is more nervous about telling her parents the truth about snagging her dream role than the actual event. With her parents set on her education taking priority, she tries to find a way to convince them - and herself - that she can do both.

Meanwhile, the gossip is still swirling about Rainer and Jordan's fight over Tangey, and Nina is determined to shut it down so it won't hurt the film.

• Love 1

According to the Freeform press release all episodes will be available online and on demand when the pilot airs. Don't read this episode topic if you have not yet watched the episode and don't want to be spoiled.

Not all people will be able to watch all episodes at once, so please try not to spoil others and don't post anything in this thread about later episodes.

Having promised her parents that she would be able to balance school and the film's schedule, Paige quickly learns that it is easier said than done. While trying to work on a crucial school paper, she keeps getting sidetracked with wardrobe fittings, photo shoots and screen tests. Leaning on Jake and Cassie for help, Paige quickly learns she may be in over her head.

Meanwhile, Nina must make cuts to the movie budget, and Jake meets with an agent about his script.

Paige becomes aware of the realities and pressure that come with starring in a 200 million dollar film, as her first day on set is riddled with difficulties. Her on-set relationship with Rainer causes further complications with Jake, and she's forced to make a professional decision. Cassie's schooling is in jeopardy after struggling with tuition payments, and with no options available, she's forced to make a tough decision. Meanwhile, Tangey and her mother argue over the future direction of her career, which threatens her mother's status as her manager.

Edited by paulvdb
Fixed episode title and added episode description

Paige wants to celebrate her birthday with friends.

Edited by paulvdb
Fixed episode title and added episode description

Nina and Rainer take a last-minute trip to China to rescue Locked from a new setback, which derails Rainer's weekend plans with Paige. But when Alan and Rainer bond over their mutual tastes, Nina feels uncomfortable. Cassie's financial problems continue, so she feels forced to take more shifts as a topless maid. Meanwhile, Jordan deals with issues involving his mother.

Edited by paulvdb
added episode description

Thinking it would help Cassie's financial problems, Paige offers her a job as her assistant. When Cassie declines, issues in their friendship are revealed. Plus, Jake starts to learn the realities of what it means to sell a script in Hollywood, and Alexis embraces her role as Producer on the project. Meanwhile, Jordan's problems continue to mount as he learns Brandy needs more money, and Barrett Hopper reveals to him that he knows the truth about his and Brandy's past.

Edited by paulvdb

Paige and Cassie's fight is impacting Paige's performance, and when Jake is too busy to help, Rainer offers his own advice. Later, Jake's career takes an unexpected turn. Meanwhile, when Alan and Rainer spend some time together, Nina grows concerned. On top of her worries, she's facing a possible lawsuit, and she agrees to help Jordan with his mother's issues. Rainer surprises Nina with a helpful solution, but her happiness is short-lived when her worst fears about Alan and Rainer are confirmed.

Edited by paulvdb

Paige deals with Jake's impending move to Austin, and a revelation about Cassie fractures their friendship. Meanwhile, Rainer starts searching for his real father, but he's thrown into a tailspin after he puts the pieces together. Later, Jordan tries to mend his relationship with Tangey, who feels betrayed by his secret. But when he shares information about his past, she considers forgiving him.

Edited by paulvdb

Rainer's downward spiral continues, and Paige searches for him after he disappears. Plus, Alexis receives bad news, and she takes revenge on Rachel. Jake briefly returns to Los Angeles, and Paige tries to confess her feelings. Meanwhile, Jordan attempts to handle the Barrett Hopper problem with an exclusive, but a shocking event stops the plan. Later, Nina stages a press conference to address Rainer's public meltdown, but things are disrupted by an unexpected appearance.

'Famous in Love': TV Review

"Thorne, beloved by 'the kids,' plays Paige Townsen, a young college student whose most distinctive trait is repeatedly telling people her last name is spelled without a 'd.' At the urging of her friend Cassie (Geogie Flores), who harbors a deep, dark secret that is hilariously lacking in deepness and darkness, Paige goes out for an audition for Locked, an adaptation of a popular YA literary series that is simultaneously wildly popular, critically revered and, based on what we see of it, entirely ridiculous. The consensus at the studio is that the cattle call is just a formality and a star (Niki Koss' Alexis) will get the part. But when star Rainer Devon (Carter Jenkins) sees Paige, he's instantly agog and her audition leads everybody, including Rainer's producer mom Nina (Perrey Reeves), to agree that she is the only person who can play the lead.

The pilot is structured around a 'one year later' framing device telling us that Paige will soon become hounded by the paparazzi and that fame will become, at least a little, a nightmare. That framing device doesn't return in the four other episodes I had the patience to watch. Instead of returning to the presaged nightmare of notoriety, Famous in Love generates its drama through crises like whether or not Paige will be able to act and also finish her econ midterm essay, since her professor dad thinks that education is important and following her dreams is not. I call that the Reverse Yentl."

Just finishing up watching this at the moment and being a fan of Bella Thorne from when I was younger I have to say this show has promise and I will surely be tuning in next week on Free Form. 

Bell's acting was horrible in this! So cringe worthy and her voice sounds like she smokes a pack a day. This pilot was so boring it's hard to understand why this was greenlit.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, In2You said:

Bell's acting was horrible in this! So cringe worthy and her voice sounds like she smokes a pack a day. This pilot was so boring it's hard to understand why this was greenlit.

Bella has always had the raspy voice even as a little kid in Shake It Up. She has never smoked cigarettes. I wouldn't say the acting was horrible although it certainly wasn't top notch. I just think it is worthy or a further look. I did like the story. The acting in the show Riverdale was definitely not top notch either, but Cole Sprouse,Lili Reinhart, and Camila Mendes I think have all improved in the short time the show has been on the air. I can only hope that the chemistry between these young actors will also improve which will then improve the overall acting.

I may watch a couple more episodes only because they're available for bingeing, but I thought it was mediocre at best. It kind of seems like I just watched this in The Arrangement, which isn't the show's fault but I blame it anyway.

I'm not familiar with any of the actors but they appear to have been cast for looks rather than ability.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Mazz said:

Bella has always had the raspy voice even as a little kid in Shake It Up. She has never smoked cigarettes. I wouldn't say the acting was horrible although it certainly wasn't top notch. I just think it is worthy or a further look. I did like the story. The acting in the show Riverdale was definitely not top notch either, but Cole Sprouse,Lili Reinhart, and Camila Mendes I think have all improved in the short time the show has been on the air. I can only hope that the chemistry between these young actors will also improve which will then improve the overall acting.

I watched Shake It Up and I don't remember her voice being so deep. And maybe she doesn't smoke cigarettes but she does smoke. Bella's acting was bad. that was one thing that was consistent in reviews of the show.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, In2You said:

I watched Shake It Up and I don't remember her voice being so deep. And maybe she doesn't smoke cigarettes but she does smoke. Bella's acting was bad. that was one thing that was consistent in reviews of the show.

There has been a few reports that she has smoked Marijuana but nothing more than that. Like I said the acting as a whole was not great and it was not all on Bella for sure. I just think I need to give the show and the actors time to find some chemistry together to see if it improves like I did with Riverdale.

Well good for you for giving them the benefit of the doubt but this episode was still weak. And Bella's acting was the worst of bunch especially as the lead who is playing a girl who is supposed to be a standout actress

• Love 4

Badly written, with a really bad acting. There wasn't even one person that gave a decent performance. It was really hard to watch, but oh well it's Freeform what did I expect.

• Love 2

That was kinda painful to be honest. Weak acting, weak writing - not that the original book is award winning (I've actually red the first book in the series before it was even a thing, just like Hunger Games). The lead Page is acting too young and clueless for someone who is in collage in LA, and I just can't buy Bella Thorne in an innocent sweetheart role - it does not compute. I will say, I'm pulling for mama Devon because I approve of her bed-mate - talk about cougar and her cub. Alexis is giving me major sleazeball vibes.

Edited by tanita

I thought it was okay. I'll probably watch just for lack of competition in the timeslot.

But I think the friend was more interesting than Paige. I didn't really like any of the characters who were playing the already famous actors either.

6 hours ago, In2You said:

Well good for you for giving them the benefit of the doubt but this episode was still weak. And Bella's acting was the worst of bunch especially as the lead who is playing a girl who is supposed to be a standout actress

I think this is the biggest problem besides the weak writing. I really like the movie The Duff and neither Bella nor her acting bugged me in that much at all because she was a supporting character. The spotlight is squarely on her here and I think that's a big weakness since she didn't come off as capable of a starring role. I thought she was better "in character" but still nothing fantastic, and how much will that be? And the other times are next to awful. 

It feels like a ton of the casting here is the problem. PLL might be a hot mess more often than not over the course of the series, but one reason it has endured is because the casting worked. I'd like to believe they cast based on looks and appeal, but to put it nicely, I feel there are several misses both male and female if that's what they were going for...

Also, and I realize I'm speaking to a select few here, but I think because of the setting in particular, Cassie's story is going to feel like a rip off of the Lauren storyline from the Melrose Place Redux without the medical student cover. The argument that this is based off a a book doesn't work here since the show was on well before the book. Even the show LA Complex, which I was mildly reminded of as well, came before the book. Hope I'm wrong, but several parts of this show are not feeling original at all which doesn't help when the writing and acting are subpar.

I'm doubtful on whether I'll watch more than one or two more episodes to see if this changes into something decent and hope this was a poorly written and executed pilot. I found Bella's naivete and wide-eyed innocence way, way more suited to a young teenager than a college student living on her own and so responsible she's the one managing the the roommates' money to make rent. Cassie's youthful exuberance not being able to control herself when Rainer called and the like was also annoying and ridiculous for me. And then they seemed to try to pack as much shock value as they could into the final 3 minutes for reasons unknown. It's like they realized it was rather sedate and tossed that in at the end to punch it up a bit. It didn't work for me and felt very clunky to unfold both reveals back to back in that manner.

• Love 1

I skipped a couple of episodes but mostly slogged through for my own sense of completion. The cliffhanger was annoying, but the most commitment I'd make for season 2 would be reading the recaps to find out who the murderer is. (I'm assuming Barrett being shot in the damned heart means he's dead.)

My feelings about all the characters didn't change much from the pilot -- Alexis remained the most annoying, even beating out Paige, which is saying something. Her entire love triangle plot was tedious.

Nina is a horrible person but turned out to be the most fun to watch.

• Love 1
On 4/19/2017 at 9:23 PM, JasmineFlower said:

Also, and I realize I'm speaking to a select few here, but I think because of the setting in particular, Cassie's story is going to feel like a rip off of the Lauren storyline from the Melrose Place Redux without the medical student cover. The argument that this is based off a a book doesn't work here since the show was on well before the book. Even the show LA Complex, which I was mildly reminded of as well, came before the book. Hope I'm wrong, but several parts of this show are not feeling original at all which doesn't help when the writing and acting are subpar.

I read the first book in this series awhile back when I wanted some fluff to read. I believe that Cassie really did not have a story in the book. I think there is at least another book(s?) where she could have this story, but I am thinking it was made up for the show. I think most of the supporting character's stories are not from the book. From what little I remember is that the first book was all Paige's POV. I could be misremembering, like I said I read the book awhile back and it did not make much of an impression on me besides remembering the basic story. Though either way the call girl story is pretty cliche.

• Love 2

So, is Cassie is a prostitute who also cleans ? Or just a topless maid ?

They have to give the "Townsen, no D" nonsense a rest.

Bella's acting is bad.  Like really, really bad.  In fact, most of the characters are really wooden -- especially the actor portraying Alexis.  She is painful to watch.

On 4/20/2017 at 3:55 PM, doram said:

The boys have more chemistry with each other than with any of their women. 

It certainly does seem that way.

• Love 2

After watching this episode it seems that there are three questions that need to be answered in season 2 (if there is going to be a season 2).

Who does Paige choose? I'm not a fan of Jake, but I liked him more in the storylines that had nothing to do with Paige. So I hope Paige chooses Rainer.

Who shot Barrett? The most likely suspect is Nina so it's probably someone else. Maybe Jordan.

Who leaked the sex tape? I think Alexis leaked her own sex tape.

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 1:14 AM, Lord Donia said:

I skipped a couple of episodes but mostly slogged through for my own sense of completion. The cliffhanger was annoying, but the most commitment I'd make for season 2 would be reading the recaps to find out who the murderer is. (I'm assuming Barrett being shot in the damned heart means he's dead.)

My feelings about all the characters didn't change much from the pilot -- Alexis remained the most annoying, even beating out Paige, which is saying something. Her entire love triangle plot was tedious.

I realized about an hour after I watched this thing that the cliffhanger was a bad ripoff of Notting Hill.

I'm also thinking that the line Julia Robert's had in the movie about being a girl asking a boy to love her inspired Paige's entire storyline which was basically her pleading with her friends not to ditch her or hate her because she is becoming famous.

This was a really terrible show.  But there is something a little surreal about a TV show about movie stars being populated by actors that I can't believe managed to get a TV show.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 7

Why is the acting so painful on this show? And sorry but Paige and her friend aren't cute enough to be this bad acting as well. The casting decions on thi show have me scratching my head. 

And seriously Paige's mom acted like a tween fangirl. Seriously the mom's book club obsessed over YA books? 

Paige's arty hair made that dress look teenybopperish. 

And Nina is supposed be this bad ass pitbull in a dress but it's laughable.

• Love 1

It is hard to believe that this show got worse with every episode. So many times I thought it could not get anymore terrible, but yet it did. It was soapy, but not in the good soapy kind of way. Does that make sense? I pretty much disliked all the characters as the series went on. On other shows, where characters make poor choices I can usually understand why or actually care, but with this show not so much. Everything was just so cliche, which I can deal with if I care about the characters, stories, or has other things going for it besides cliche after cliche.

I did not see any chemistry between Rainer/Paige or Jake/Paige. I could care less who she chooses. I do not care who shot the reporter or released Alexis' sex tape. They did not give me any reason to care about any of the characters.

I could not help laughing at the scenes of the "Locked" movie or when the director guy was giving a synopsis of it. It sounded and looked so terrible! Granted there are terrible movies being made all the time, but I guess I could understand why people/tweens went nuts for the Twilight series, even if I hated them. I assume that is what the "Locked" books in the show were suppose to be similar too at least hype-wise.

• Love 2

I've managed to get to episode 5 and man is Paige obnoxious. She's so naive acting about this whole process and on top of that she's overly petty and jealous over Jake and Alexis while flirting with Rainer. Alexis is actually trying to help him sell his project. Which is alot more than she can do for him. 

And Cassie's guilt trips were unnecessary. And her topless maid story is so stupid. It's like they wanted to make her a call girl but couldn't go all the way through with it. 

Paige's surprise 21st birthday party was supposed to be a sweet gesture but all I could think about what how all those folks were randoms she really doesn't know. 

And they continue to throw every cliche in a Hollywood story in this show. The outdoor beach house hookup session that gets photographed by paparazzi is in every story. The cliche secret parent stories too. So of course Rainer's real dad is the head of the studio

I feel like there were some things in this episode I was supposed to find touching that I really didn't give a crap about like Cassie's grief over her mother.

And Jordan's story is so stereotypical especially with those scenes about them bonding over the scams they used to run.  Troubled young man from the wrong side of the tracks grew up with a terrible mother

The acting continues to be bad. Especially from Cassie. The actress always sounds like she's reading cue cards.

• Love 1

At this point I'm only watching because it's available to binge and I need to finish what I started. 

Paige is a terrible lead. I know I say this about every episode but Bella is not strong enough to be a lead actress and Paige is so horribly written. She became selfish and self adsorbed day 2 of landing her role. I smiled when the men were screening her calls. And then her stupid fight with Cassie later on. And I'm tired of her crying every episode.  And the bribing her professor for a grade was played off as clever an cutesy. 

And yes Cassie's drama as a topless maid is so lame.  And she's so unlikable just like Paige. And I don't care bout her dream to be an actress. 

That Ben and Lauren appearance was unnecessary. And their acting was better on The Bachelor. 

Why is everyone in their own bubbles. It's like there's so many characters but they don't know what to do with them to properly develop them. Have Paige and Jordan even interacted much? They're playing in a love triangle yet Paige has barely spent time with him. 

Tangey was seeming kinda pointless up until this episode. Cuz I remember when this show was in the pilot stages they had teased some kind of mystery surrounding her. I like her mother even though I'm supposed to dislike her for stifling her creativity. 

Why is the acting in the movie scenes even worse than the regular scenes of this show? It's so straight to video on demand instead of big blockbuster. 

Jordan and Rainer have more chemistry with each other than with the girls.  Rainer and Paige's dance was a whole lot of nothing for all the hype about it.

• Love 2

I'm so glad they had the Texan flag and someone wearing a Cowboys tshirt in that scenes otherwise I'd never have realized Jake when to Texas!

I understand Jake had a personal connection to his script but it's not like his idea was stolen and someone else's name slapped on it. They're paying him for the rights to his optioned script!

Cassie being out of the picture was a breath of fresh air.

• Love 1

It's a good thing I'm almost finished with this season. My viewing has been broken up over two days but man this show gets worse instead of better. I find myself laughing at how bad some scenes are. 

So when Nina decided to give Rainer a name of his supposed father she didn't use the name of someone she was actually close with to create a decent lie? I'm surprised it took 23 years for it to get out. It's so hard to believe someone didn't tell him about his so called stunt man father sooner.

Rainer has more chemistry with Tangey than she has with Jordan. 

I just couldn't bring myself to care about Cassie and Paige's once an episode tearful goodbye. 

Yes poor Paige to have to witness Rainer fall off the wagon.

34 minutes ago, doram said:

The Locked  books were apparently Outlander for YA.

I cannot believe I did not make that connection! Thanks you for pointing that out. The Locked movie scenes looked like a completely F-ed up movie IMO. 

• Love 1

Rainer's  meltdown was so cringeworthy I burst out laughing.  The acting was so bad when the scenes should've been emotional. And Rainer is another one who's been annoying all season.

And Jordan had to leave his big night because of Rainer's drama. Although their relationship is way more deep than the shallow crap we're supposed to squee over between him and Paige. 

So Rainer's meltdown repairs her friendship with Cassie. Because she really needed this pity fest. 

Tangey finally became interesting. It only took 10 episodes of her pining over Jordan and her career not being the way she wanted it.

I wish I cared who shot the annoying reporter.

Alexis made progress this season only to be beyond pathetic and go right back to episode 1 behavior.

I guess they're sure they'll get a second season cuz that cliff hanger was terrible.

• Love 1

I have no idea why I binge watched this over the weekend.  My only theory is that I was nursing a cold, and somehow the cold was worse than I thought and it addled my brain.  I agree with a previous posters in this thread and the other ones that each episode got a little bit worse/less compelling - I'm not sure what made me decide to stay with it.

Random things bugged me.

- Why did Paige always have false eye lashes?  It bugged me terribly.  Even the Alexis character had a few scenes without false eye lashes. Paige just looked ridiculous with them all the time.

- In a sea of bad acting, the young woman who played Cassie stood out.  She was really terrible - seemed like someone in a High School play "emoting".  I couldn't understand why she was cast in the role, nor who the character was supposed to be.

- Speaking of Cassie - she moved in with the PA in, what, a week?  I couldn't tell how much time had gone by, but it seemed like they met, and then the next night she ran away to his house for a long sulk, and kind of never left.

- I have no idea why the trio of Paige, Cassie and Jake were "best friends" - there was nothing in their chemistry that made me believe it, especially not after the first episode. 

- Why was Paige's mom such a silly fan girl?  Silly...

- I really liked the woman who played Nina (Perrey something) when she was Mrs. Ari in Entourage.  I was excited to see her.  But after a few episodes, I gave up on her - I guess the character showed the limits of her acting ability.

- What is up with the critically acclaimed AND enormously popular YA series that looked, on film, like the most ridiculous thing ever?  A dance scene? Fight scene? Love triangle, time travel, etc.  Bizarre.

That's it off the top of my head. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, paulvdb said:

Nothing we saw of Locked made me think it could ever be as big as Harry Potter, Twilight or The Hunger Games. Or why it would need such a big budget.

The plot sounded really dumb and I saw no chemistry between Paige and Jordan in their one scene for the love triangle.I saw very little between her and Rainer too.

On 4/21/2017 at 11:43 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

So, is Cassie is a prostitute who also cleans ? Or just a topless maid ?

I think just a topless maid. They were trying to do a fake out about her being a prostitute, just to reveal the weird topless maid thing. That can't really be a thing, can it?

• Love 2