Type keyword(s) to search

S.14.E12: Knockouts Part 2

• Start Topic

(edited)

Brynn destroyed Jamella on Team Kelly. Brynn continues to impress, for 14 (I know, I know) she has a presence on stage & vocally that's hard to deny.

Pryor annihilated Jaron on Team Blake. Oof, Jaron was bad. Have to say I'm a little surprised that Blake didn't go Pryor v. Wilkes and Jaron vs. Dylan. To me that means he absolutely wants to take both Pryor and Wilkes into the live shows. We'll see if that ends up being right next week. Pryor could still use some more dynamics and something to give us a little relief from the nonstop AC/DC esque gravelly rasp that he's using almost all the time.

Terrence over Christianne on Team Alicia w/ Alicia fighting off steal attempts by Kelly & Adam to "save" Christianne. Basically any time Terrence's voice makes me wince...that's when all the coach's collectively lose their sh*t. So whatever, I'm just assuming he's going to make the finale and there isn't anything I can do....so I'll just ignore him like I've ignored others like Jordan, Sawyer, Alisan, Chris Blue, We, etc etc over the seasons...

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 6

I agree that Jaron was terrible - I made it to the first chorus before I had to fast forward to put him out of my misery. It was his identical Bruno Mars pronunciation of “you” (“yuh”) that was the final nail - he couldn’t even switch it up that much? 

Pryor, though - man, he has to incorporate some dynamic variation in his singing. He shouted at me from start to finish. Not my favorite.

Brynne continues to shock me with how mature her voice is. In the battles as well as last night, I kept having these moments where I just froze for a second thinking “wait, she’s the 14-year old” and then I start arguing with myself that she can’t be 14 because she doesn’t sing like a child. Wow.

I kinda love Terrence. Hate that song, but loved him singing it. I don’t even remember Christianne, alas, even though I just watched the show ten minutes ago. She wasn’t bad - just unmemorable for me.

I’d like for Alicia to learn how to be supportive and encouraging without telling everyone they have rainbows in their souls and blah blah blah. The other judges can do it. It’s possible to be complimentary without implying the gates of heaven open up and a chorus of angels bow to your superior talent every time you open your mouth.

• Love 7

The only two that I really dislike at this point are Pryor and Terrance.  I really can't get through their performances, though, the coaches seem to love them.  Go figure. 

I do love Bryne and I liked Christianne too.  When Alisha was practicing with her, didn't she say she was doing a worship song?  I didn't know that was a worship song.

• Love 2

Does anyone know the significance of Terrence's hairstyle? Did he start growing his hair when his daughter was born? Does it have some religious or cultural meaning?

In photos of him with a close-shaven head, he's handsome... I find that knot on his forehead distracting. JMO.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I do love Bryne and I liked Christianne too.  When Alisha was practicing with her, didn't she say she was doing a worship song?  I didn't know that was a worship song.

she said it was the first time for her NOT to do a worship song. Elastic Heart is not a worship song.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

Pryor, though - man, he has to incorporate some dynamic variation in his singing. He shouted at me from start to finish. Not my favorite.

So shouty, agreed.

(edited)

This was a considerable comedown from Monday.  The only performance that I thought was really good all the way around was Brynn.

Pryor, Christiana, and Jamella were okay.  Each had some positive and some negative aspects.  I agree with others here that Pryor really needs to incorporate more dynamics, but I did somewhat enjoy his performance.  I continue to love Christiana's voice, but some of her choices on that song just didn't work.  Jamella was a pleasant surprise given that she had been montaged twice.  Her misfortune was to come right after Brynn.  Jaron was just plain bad.

I really don't know what to say about Terrance.  The guy is a magician with his voice and I can see why the coaches keep freaking out.  The problem is that it becomes more about marveling at his vocal tricks than enjoying the actual song.  

What's freaking me out is that Alicia's team for the live playoffs already includes Jackie Foster, Johnny Bliss, Christiana, and Terrence, and she still has two knockouts to go that feature the likes of Brittan, Chelsea, and Sharane.  It's going to be brutal.

Edited by viajero
  • Love 4

Brynn—amazing, a totally hard act to follow. I think even Jamella knew she didn’t have a chance and that might have added to her nerves.

Jaron lived out his cannon fodder destiny against Pryor. It would have been less of a blowout if he created a different arrangement for it, anything other than a straight up impersonation of Bruno Mars.  I agree that was part of Blake’s long term strategy to take Pryor into the finals. It’s easy to forget under all his aw-shucks exterior and Adam’s calling him stupid that he actually has a really keen strategic mind.

I wasn’t a fan of Chloe’s, but I have to give props. She’s shown as giving good advice and having an easy rapport with Blake. It reminds me of how in her season, she knew the importance of stage presence and performance, not just the singing.

My heart sank when I saw that it was Christiana against Terence. I really got drawn into her rendition of Elastic Heart, and she’s got this awesome smile. If it were against most of the other singers she would have won easily. I give credit to Terence for stepping up following that.

I actually like his look, hair-fascinator and all. I also think he was the right choice to keep -- he stands out, his performance is electrifying and as long as he’s given the right songs to showcase his range and that incredible falsetto he’ll go far.

23 hours ago, Babalooie said:

To me, its kind of a non-event for the judges to get their contestants back just after ditching them.  It's much more interesting to see them with a different coach.

Has Blake won the most times with a stolen artist? For that reason if I were Christiana I would go with him (if he tried to steal me). I don't remember if his hand was up, but if it wasn't I'd probably return to Alicia.

• Love 1

Regarding Terrence's 'do:  When I see it, all I can think of is very Orthodox Jews at prayer, wearing tifillin. Very distracting, I can't focus on the music.

Also, Terrence needs to sing me something less stale (IMO) than "My Girl" or "Tell Me Something Good".  To me, even though he tweaks the songs here and there, it's still all R&B. An excellent R&B singer singing R&B classics. As good as Terrence's voice may be, his song choices frankly bore me. I want him to wow me with songs that are not so well known. Or even--if I may suggest it--non-R&B, though I admit no specific song comes to mind here.

• Love 7

I like Terrence's voice, however that thing on his head reminds me of a big ole turd. Yeah, I said it. 

That too, though it’s always made me think of a donut.  Anyway, it’s distracting.  I do agree that Terrance looked very handsome in the picture with his father.  I don’t listen to music for the vocal gymnastics so, as impressive as his are, I find myself hitting ff on the remote when he sings.  Christiana was far more interesting to me in spite of her weird word pronunciation.  

Lighten up, Pryor.

• Love 1

Current team rosters/cheat sheets:

Team Adam
Mia Boostrom (defeated Jackie Foster)
Jackie Verna (defeated Drew Cole)
Drew Cole (saved by Team Adam)

(Still Waiting)
Rayshun LaMarr
Reid Umstattd
Gary Edwards
Jordyn Simone

Team Alicia
Johnny Bliss (defeated Miya Bass)
Terrence Cunningham (defeated Christiana Danielle)
Christiana Danielle (saved by Team Alicia)

Jackie Foster (stolen from Team Adam)

(Still Waiting)
Sharane Calister
Kelsea Johnson
Britton Buchanan
Dallas Caroline

Team Kelly
Kaleb Lee (defeated Justin Kilgore)
Brynn Cartelli (defeated Jamella)

(Still Waiting)
D.R. King
Jorge Eduardo
Alexa Capelli
Tish Haynes Keys

Team Blake
Kyla Jade (defeated Jaclyn Lovey)
Spensha Baker (defeated Austin Giorgio)
Pryor Baird (defeated Jaron Strom)
Austin Giorgio (saved by Team Blake)

(Still Waiting)
WILKES
Dylan Hartigan

Names in bold indicate an artist who has newly won his or her Knockout and stayed on his or team, lost his or her Knockout, but was saved by hsi or her coach, or lost his or Knockout, but was stolen by another coach.  An asterisk indicates that this artist's Knockout was montaged.