Type keyword(s) to search

The People's Court - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, SRTouch said:

#2 is tenant wanting lotto money after being evicted from an illegal apartment. P actually acts surprised when told landlord doesn't have to pay her hotel and moving expenses after she stopped paying rent, lived rent free for months, lost in housing court

This old battle-ax wanted big money for sitting on her ass and not paying rent.  She was despicable for taking advantage and trying to play the system to the last cent.  I bet she looked long and hard for a new apartment.... sure.  She was dead-eyeing the judge when she started to figure out she wasn't getting a bonanza - if looks could kill!  There was something going on with her mouth that was making me nauseous - looked like her lips were coated with white glue or something.  yuck

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 3

Don't forget the reason the landlord evicted her...smoking cigarettes/marijuana when told no smoking and clogging up the sump pump by not using the right toilet paper.  Ugh..she was disgusting.  I hated her.

Also the woman with the pitbull needed a slap.  What an arrogant person.  She was also told to get her dog fixed so he wouldn't be aggressive and she didn't even do that.  Next time it's going to cost her way more than $3,000.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, SRTouch said:

#1 is one eyed dude suing alley mechanic dude

I was waiting for JM to ask them how old they are. Two grown men and plaintiff is all, "He told me this 16-year old, 1K Saturn was perfect for me, so of course I bought it with no test drive. I don't know anything! It's his fault that it conked out after I drove it at 90mph! He made me buy it!"

Def lives with plaintiff's daddy after g/f, who was "messin'" around with the neighbour, threw him out. Pays nothing for 3 months because Daddy told him he didn't have to so he feels no obligation, as an adult, responsible man to do so. Plaintiff says def was "talking junk" to him so of course he busted out the taillight on def's car and on and on it goes. No matter how much def screws up fixing the beater, p's daddy tells him to "stick with the same mechanic" so of course p does what daddy says. He never takes the car anywhere to find out what's wrong with it and how much it will cost. He's just a boy and can't deal with this by himself! That video? My cc nearly had a stroke trying to translate whatever that was. The only part I got was "suck my dick."  JM certainly couldn't understand it.

3 hours ago, SRTouch said:

#2 is tenant wanting lotto money after being evicted from an illegal apartment.

That was one greasy-haired, vile, grifting, beastly squattah! This apartment was so terrible, unsafe and illegal but it nearly took a few sticks of dynamite and a crowbar to get her squatting, large ass out of this horrendous place, even though she paid no rent for months. She could afford to pay over 400$ for a hotel - well of course after paying no rent yahoo! - but expects landlord to reimburse her because months of warnings to get out didn't leave her enough time to actually GET out.  After hearing what the def. endured and had to pay on behalf of this squatter (even though the apt was in fact illegal) I'm amazed that anyone thinks being a landlord is a good idea.

Who was that babbling idiot standing next to the squatter? I didn't catch that part.

• Love 3

#1 backyard breeder: grrrrrr! Left tv running while I fixed and ate lunch. These two have already been in court once - first time this defendant was plaintiff suing today's plaintiff, today they've switched sides. Case tossed last time, and nobody gets anything today. Root of problem is that P sold mastiff puppy to defendant and/or her daughter & puppy died. P claims reason pup died is that D didn't wait til pup was 18 months old as she recommended. (I didn't realised it was recommended you wait that long, but Google search confirms recommendation that you wait til a mastiff is 16-18 months old.) They had a purchase agreement/warranty hand written by P, and none of what she is trying to claim was a breach by D is in the contract. JJ would have been all over that yelling about 4 corners. D argues dog didn't die because of the neuter, she argues it had a birth defects which caused bloating and twisted intestines. Ah, isn't that a fairly common problem with the big dog breeds? - IIRC Danes have better than a 30% chance of having twisted stomach/intestines - a life threatening occurence demanding emergency surgery/treatment. Anyway, D already tried suing under that theory and case was dismissed - today she takes second bite of apply and wants 5 grand which she doesn't get. Today P is suing for breach of contract for things not in her contract - also dismissed. My problem with this breeder is that she knowingly sold this puppy for a grand when she knew parents were too closely related. Then at end of case, in hallterview we hear D and her witness both claiming P is selling puppies with mange. As I said grrrrrrr

#2 car repair debacle: if nothing else, the litigants in this case deserve mention for their wardrobe - I think they may be going to a wedding when they leave TPC. P in case says he worked on D's 16yo car (may be old junker, but it's a BMW), and is still owed  500 bucks for his work. D agrees P tried to fix car, but argues he caused more damage, and doesn't deserve to be paid. Case dismissed

#3 tenant didn't pay water bill: silly case with no defense... D tries to argue he never knew he was responsible for water bill, yet MM finds where landlord reminds him to pay and his response is he'll pay. He does pay it then, but then ignores future bills, so total climbs. D has to pay.

I zipped ahead these last two cases, may go back and watch later if comments here look good, but doubt it as they don't look too promising. 

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, SRTouch said:

#2 car repair debacle: if nothing else, the litigants in this case deserve mention for their wardrobe - I think they may be going to a wedding when they leave TPC.

That striped suit was a spectacle - it looked like what a pimp would have worn in a cheesy blaxploitation movie from the 70's.  It also looked like his belly was fighting with his belt and losing.  Speaking of losing, my dude seems to have lost a bunch of his lower teeth.  Ewww.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, patty1h said:

That striped suit was a spectacle - it looked like what a pimp would have worn in a cheesy blaxploitation movie from the 70's.  It also looked like his belly was fighting with his belt and losing.  Speaking of losing, my dude seems to have lost a bunch of his lower teeth.  Ewww.

In my imagination I'm thinking one of the gentleman smelled like Hai Karate cologne and the other Jovan Musk.

4 hours ago, SRTouch said:

#2 car repair debacle: if nothing else, the litigants in this case deserve mention for their wardrobe

While watching this comedy team I lost track of the nonsense case of hiring some character who manages a clothing empire to fix the old beater BMW(!!) and I couldn't help but wonder where one would go to find a Zoot suit in 2019. Then I thought that maybe it's an original, stored in mothballs all these years for a special Big Day such as this. 

#3 tenant didn't pay water bill: silly case with no defense

I guess that hobbity little dweeb def - a grown man (chronologically anyway)- trying to weasel his way out of paying what he owed was just too annoying. The stupid neckbeard did not give you an air of manliness, sorry to say.

Skipped the backyard breeder.

2 hours ago, PsychoKlown said:

In my imagination I'm thinking one of the gentleman smelled like Hai Karate cologne and the other Jovan Musk.

🤣

ETA: Zoot suit - I wasn't far off:

The zoot suit with its oversized jacket (often double-breasted, always wide-shouldered) that might be striped or checked, fell to the knees and hung like some baggy frock-coat. Low-crotched zoot pants that were held up with eccentric suspenders, swallowed the lower half of the bust, then skirted around the hips and bagged at the thighs before narrowing to sit softly on fine, lightweight shoes. This euphoric costume would be completed – or rather, rendered more glorious – by a striking, luxuriantly hand-painted tie, a colorful pocket handkerchief, an endless watch-chain and a wide brimmed hat.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 3

They had a purchase agreement/warranty hand written by P, and none of what she is trying to claim was a breach by D is in the contract.

It took me ten seconds, and MM 22 minutes, to fixate on the point:  under what situation would plaintiff have a case?  Don't you have to show you've sustained some kind of loss in order to collect?  You sold an inbred dog for $1K, you don't own the dog any more, the buyer refused a replacement dog, and then try to get $5K out of your buyer.  Even if she'd put it in the contract, I don't see how she can show a loss to herself, much less 5X the purchase price.  I'm thinking the dog isn't the only inbred creature involved in this case.  

"Could you please elucidate me?"  C'mon, MM!  Really??

5 hours ago, SRTouch said:

if nothing else, the litigants in this case deserve mention for their wardrobe - I think they may be going to a wedding when they leave TPC

3 hours ago, patty1h said:

it looked like what a pimp would have worn in a cheesy blaxploitation movie from the 70's.

I just wondered whether the ties at the big and wide shops are also big and wide, or if the plaintiff just kept everything he'd owned in the 70s.  The outfit might not have looked entirely so monstrously bad if it had actually fit him.

Why are we hearing about how he got hired at age 16?

Who the hell would hire someone to fix only certain parts of the car but not the parts needed to make it run?  Plaintiff's excuse made no sense.  Anybody normal would just take it to a mechanic in the first place and have them do what needed to be done to get it up and running.  

5 hours ago, SRTouch said:

#3 tenant didn't pay water bill: silly case with no defense... D tries to argue he never knew he was responsible for water bill, yet MM finds where landlord reminds him to pay and his response is he'll pay.

It should have been in the lease.  It's not a given that water is or is not included in rent.  If the tenant was responsible for water, the account should have been in the tenant's name and the bills should have gone directly to the tenant.  But then, the defendant paid one water bill and that damned him.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, meowmommy said:

"Could you please elucidate me?"  C'mon, MM!  Really??

I also winced when she said that. Would it be discourteous to send her a link to the actual definition of the word?

2 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I'm thinking the dog isn't the only inbred creature involved in this case.  

Perfectly put.

ETA: I also found the defendant rather irritating with her explanation of why she lost the case in another jurisdiction: she did not understand the procedures, did not know when to talk or interject, etc. "It was like Night Court!"

By Jove woman, there is no statute against educating yourself on the process before you go to court. Besides, small claims courts are less formal than regular ones and can offer some limited guidance to a litigant who is at a loss.

Edited by Florinaldo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

Glad I wasn't drinking anything during the intro to the car repair case.  When the plaintiff said that the defendant's father hired him (at 16) to run his clothing business, and that he ran it for over 40 years . . . I'd have done a spit take.

You were in the clothing business and you think THAT outfit looks good on you?

Now we know why the car repair went awry.  The man has NO sense of reality regarding his skills . . . including defining himself as a martial artist.  

• Love 1
On 10/7/2019 at 4:25 PM, NYGirl said:

Don't forget the reason the landlord evicted her...smoking cigarettes/marijuana when told no smoking and clogging up the sump pump

I was scratching my head  in the "sump pump" case.  I have a sump pump. It is used and turns on ONLY when water from heavy rain runs into my garage and into the drain. It is there only to prevent flooding in the house. Sump pumps have nothing to do with toilets - are not connected to them in any way. The only way to clog is up is to find out where it is, lift the lid and jam things down into it.

I think what everyone must have meant is "septic tank."

• Love 2

The sump pump could be the septic tank pump that sends matter down to the field lines.  That can get clogged from tampons strings, dental floss, plastics, and whatever else people flush that they shouldn't.      

There is also something called a grinder pump, it is on a sewer line, and is like a garbage disposal, but for sewage. 

Since it was a basement, illegal apartment, I bet it had a pump to boost sewage up to the main sewer line level.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The sump pump could be the septic tank pump that sends matter down to the field lines.  That can get clogged from tampons strings, dental floss, plastics, and whatever else people flush that they shouldn't.      

There is also something called a grinder pump, it is on a sewer line, and is like a garbage disposal, but for sewage. 

Remember that we're dealing with an illegal basement apartment - no telling what mishmash plumbing nightmare could be down there preventing a certificate of occupancy. I keep coming back to the housing court judge's decision. It seems even MM was surprised that previous judge seemed to grant so much leeway to the greasy haired squatter, so wonder if maybe he/she wasn't maybe spanking the landlord a bit. Could be squattah and landlord were made for each other.

sour car deal: plaintiffs playing on MM's strong family ties to try for full refund on 14yo junker bought from overbearing a-hole of a used car dealer. First time D opened his yap I was hoping MM would find a way to sock it to him. Nope, no matter how annoying he was, or how many times MM had to tell him to shut up and answer her questions, turns out P had no case. By time P lost and stormed out of courtroom - refusing to even slow down for Doug - I was equally fed up with old bitty and her precious niece...... case basically had precious 21yo niece buying her 'good' auntie a '04 vehicle - car needed battery, brakes, tires, and new transmission, but precious is just so precious she should get a do-over because meany dealer took advantage..... dealer gave 30 day warranty on engine and transmission (although that is suspect in my mind as nobody has original, buyer has copy and dealer has nada, saying he gives buyer the original)..... buyer took car back twice, first time mechanic fixed stuff not under warranty - second time transmission replaced..... car breaks down a third time and P parks it and demands money back without even having mechanic check to find out what's wrong..... not happening, case dismissed

handyman says he wasn't paid in full - suing for $805: another of those 'long time friend' cases. This time P says he did some reno work for friend of 40 years. D says he did crappy job, hung doors which were too short for opening, and even used materials she purchased on other jobs. MM starts with D, she's got that nice accent going, but isn't long before MM breaks into lecture about not getting receipts when paying cash. Over to P.... maybe reason MM didn't start here is she had to build up the courage look at this guy's dental disaster. P not making much sense, and he doesn't have any pesky receipts, either. Ah, knew it was coming - time for the crayon/toilet paper speech. Sooooo, no proof of any more money being owed, no case. The big ticket item on his list of money owed is for a stove - which D says she can prove she paid - ah, but her proof is a carbon copy of check which she has written over saying it was for stove..... hmmmm, maybe checking bank records would show where $630 went - we take recess to check the bank records (better have staff help D call the bank, cuz I don't think D knows what to ask).... bank backs D, and P first claims he never got the check, than when told it was made out to him tries the Sgt Schultz "I know nothing!" defense. Keeps trying to show picture of the stove hood, but MM isn't looking since question isn't whether stove hood was purchased, but who paid for it - and bank confirms date and amount was paid to P.... Case dismissed

missing 5 grand: p says her ex knew where she hid her money, and 5 grand is missing..... uh, maybe he's a low down thief, but not sure how she's going to prove anything unless he confessed.... should be open and shut case unless there's a surprise coming..... zipped to end..... nope, no surprise, just a sob story about how money came from survivor benefit fund from 9/11 (P mother died and P collected benefit check, kept money hidden in apartment and dispersed it to her siblings)..... D may be the thief, but others had opportunity and no proof he took anything.... MM says her 20 years experience - 10 as a prosecutor and another ten as a judge hearing criminal cases - tell her, going from evidence P herself presented, that D looks innocent of the crime (police were called, but no criminal case pending)....case dismissed

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 5

My guess in the case of the missing $5k and the boyfriend is that her sons certainly knew she had the money, and I bet 'borrowed' it.    My guest is the son that thinks investing in limited edition sneakers is his road to being a multimillionaire is the prime person of interest in the $5,000 theft.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

sour car deal: 

I hate when litigants are determined to make their case into some sort of suspenseful novel, or maybe they just love the sound of their own voices because so many do this. "She called me and said she bought me a car! I said, "What do you mean, you bought me a car?? And she said, 'Yeah, I bought you a car! And I said, "What do you..." This is where JM usually cuts it off and I'm glad she did so here or the case may have taken the entire hour.

I can just picture that salesman after the niece agreed to buy this thing. He probably popped the cork on a bottle of sparking cider, announcing to the other employees, "I just got rid of that 15-year-old POS Chrysler! Woo hoo!!" BUT, he did do things to the wreck he was not obligated to do - battery, towing, etc. Plaintiffs obviously had no idea how to read a contract or what the warranty meant and thought they could just waltz in and get their money back whenever they felt like it. No way do I believe all four tires just fell off. I do believe plaintiff may have driven over those spikes.

handyman says he wasn't paid in full - suing for $805:

I guess shifty plaintiff, who seems to be homeless, figured he'd take advantage of the widow, who may or may not have ever hired anyone or paid a bill in her life. He's so confident he can clean up here he doesn't bother bringing or showing any of his non-existant evidence. Sorry, no pay-off for you.

missing 5 grand:

Another SSMOT who would never, ever even think her  loving "children" (one of them a 22-year-old man) would dream of taking anything from her. I don't know who I believed here. I tend to think def didn't do it, but who knows? Def. saying that son came home with "numerous amounts" of sneakers - yes, always a worthwhile investment if you find yourself with a whole bunch of cash - was rather suspicious. Still, anyone stuffing10,000$ in cash in some sock, even if it's inside yet another sock, and doesn't put it in a bank is just begging to lose it. No one does that unless they have good reason to try and hide the money. It's just insane, not only because it can be taken by someone in the house, but what about fire, flood, burglars? Keeping large amounts of cash around is a gamble and sometimes you lose. Period.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

Def. saying that son came home with "numerous amounts" of sneakers - yes, always a worthwhile investment if you find yourself with a whole bunch of cash - was rather suspicious.

I did not get the opportunity to watch this today.  But I must chime in on the current trend for youngins to invest in sneakers.  One of the custodians at work was bragging that her son paid $325 for a pair of Yeazys (sp?) but they are worth much more.  Her son wheels and deals online and juggles several boxes of sneakers for quite a handsome profit.  

I also know (and Byrd will love this) that he invests his college money on said sneakers.  He also got a free computer which I am assuming aids in his many transactions on Craigs List and eBay.  Maybe his major is finance?  Or Phys Ed?

Not sure if he actually attends classes or not but no matter, he's making a killing selling sneaks.  I guess working at a department store, movie theatre or diner for extra money while attending college is a thing of the past.  

Who knew?  I am officially an old lady.  Who wears $29 Keds.

Edited by PsychoKlown
28 minutes ago, PsychoKlown said:

But I must chime in on the current trend for youngins to invest in sneakers.  One of the custodians at work was bragging that her son paid $325 for a pair of Yeazys (sp?) but they are worth much more.  Her son wheels and deals online and juggles several boxes of sneakers for quite a handsome profit.

They better hurry and sell as many as they can to other idiots. I remember when Beanie Babies and Cabbage Patch Kids were worth a fortune and people wheeled and dealed in them.

I can think of other investments that may have a more enduring value.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

They better hurry and sell as many as they can to other idiots. I remember when Beanie Babies and Cabbage Patch Kids were worth a fortune and people wheeled and dealed in them.

I can think of other investments that may have a more enduring value.

Good point. 

But I don’t think the concept of longevity enters here.  We’re talking perpetual tweeners who want to make it rich without working. Collecting sneaks, being an “influencer” or flashing parts of your body on the net for pay all fall under this same umbrella. 

When the sneaker for profit scam subsides they’ll move on to another flash in the pan stupid idea.  And that I believe is the wish of every court show producer because without these lazy numb skulls they’re left holding the bag with dog bites and backyard dog breeders (another numb skull idea, to get rich without actually working).

I’ll end here because the more I talk about it the more scared I become  

Edited by PsychoKlown
Because Angela already mentioned beanie babies

Plaintiffs obviously had no idea how to read a contract or what the warranty meant and thought they could just waltz in and get their money back whenever they felt like it.

I believe old biddy thought MM would be so charmed by the story of dear niecey just buying her a car out of the goodness of her heart that she would forget the law regarding used vehicle sales.  Defendant did himself no favors by being bombastic and talking over MM, but he sort of redeemed himself by being polite and eventually shutting up and, mostly, by proving he honored the warranty.

Ah, knew it was coming - time for the crayon/toilet paper speech.

AAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH$%@#$%@@@$#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I'm better now.

Over to P.... maybe reason MM didn't start here is she had to build up the courage look at this guy's dental disaster.

It is quite odd to start the case with the defendant.  Doesn't the plaintiff have to present his case?  And then MM said to the plaintiff, "Part of her complaint is that you didn't do the work.  You have to defend that."  Really did feel backwards.

Still, anyone stuffing10,000$ in cash in some sock, even if it's inside yet another sock, and doesn't put it in a bank is just begging to lose it.

I've done worse, and yet, you are absolutely correct.  Why isn't it in the bank?

He (the BF defendant) "was the only one in my possession except my children."  Another one who tries to sound smart for the judge and only accentuates her stupidity.  And she didn't go to the police to file a complaint because "I had medical issues and couldn't go anywhere."  News flash:  police can sometimes be persuaded to make a house call when you report a felony.

And she's got her booty in a sock in a sock in a purse in a coat in a closet, but the BF is supposedly slowly draining the amount instead of just taking it, and leaving her with $5K.  And the voicemail that's supposed to incriminate him, but just shows how stupid any normal person would think she was (and I heard people in the courtroom laughing at it, too).

What is with these people who keep gifting big screen TVs to each other?

Why this wasn't dismissed in the first 30 seconds when MM asks, did you see him do it, and she had to answer no, I don't understand.

49 minutes ago, PsychoKlown said:

I am officially an old lady.  Who wears $29 Keds.

I am also an old lady, and you are a bigger spender than I am!

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, PsychoKlown said:

I also know (and Byrd will love this) that he invests his college money on said sneakers.

Just a question: I've seen references to "Byrd" in several posts but have no idea what they mean. Can someone please explain?

17 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

What is with these people who keep gifting big screen TVs to each other?

I just got my first truly big screen (50") earlier this year. For damn sure I'm not "gifting" it to anyone, let alone some boyfriend.  But hey - you come into a few dollars, screw the future! Big screens for everyone!

18 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

And she didn't go to the police to file a complaint because "I had medical issues and couldn't go anywhere." 

An elaboration on this dumb excuse may have explained why she chose to stash all that cash in her sock drawer in a room to which everyone had access. I'm so sick of all these medical/psychological issues that only prevent people from working or doing what they need to do, but not from doing anything else - popping out babies, brawling, travelling cross-country to appear here, doing heavy construction work ("I only picked up the light rocks!") under the table, and blah blah.

Just now, Broderbits said:

Just a question: I've seen references to "Byrd" in several posts but have no idea what they mean.

You've never watched Judge Judy? Byrd is her bailiff, and something of a legend around these parts.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

I am also an old lady, and you are a bigger spender than I am!

Not really. My elderly neighbor on a fixed income borrowed the money to me because I promised to pay her back when I got my tax refund. 

I’m thinking about dragging out my bedazzler and really dressing them up 

In the meantime I’m groovin’ with snazzy kicks. 

bail money not repaid: crazy waste of time case over some long ago domestic violence case - P today was a cheating bf in distant past - today's D was the 4 months pregnant gf who caught low down cheater with another woman..... when I saw D and heard she broke into P's place by crawling through some window I wasn't too sure how unless it was a sliding glass door - but break in happened 6 years ago she may have doubled or tripled in size since...... anyway, in distant past, she came in and started trashing the place - cops were called - responding officer reported she was holding a steak knife when he arrived - she was arrested and charged with armed home invasion or some such - P didn't want his baby momma in jail so he bailed her out without being asked - nobody ever paid the bail bondsman back, so P recently was hit up for the money, and he decides to sue D - as long as D is getting sued she decides to countersue because she claims it was all a big misunderstanding, she didn't climb through no window, the other woman let her in - she never had a no knife, the cop was lying - and she was a no-call/no-show to her bus driving job so got fired - MM wastes our time trying to tell these fools that even if they had had a case years ago (she tells them they didn't), statute of limitations is past....... oh, and they were on again off again and went on to have another kid after the home invasion/knife/arrest incident - D tells us real reason P decided to sue is that she recently took him to court for child support and won - ugh, so these two have two kids

disappearing boat: - interesting - no, not the case, but how folks in some parts of the country winterize  their boats. Case itself pretty boring - P says he left boat with D to be 'wrapped' and  the crook stole or let somebody else steal his boat - D intro says boat was a wreck, no one else would steal it, P looking for something for nothing,  but testimony a little different with D saying he did do the wrap one fine November day - then the next April or May (they don't agree on date) P brings boat to D to get it ready to put in water as he says motor boat doesn't motor - their testimony diverges, D says (and his paperwork supports him but P claims he never saw any paperwork) he told P in November that boat was junk, and not worth the needed repair cost - P says boat was fine in November, needed engine work in April,  but he couldn't afford the repairs, so he left boat with D for a year (ignoring fact that reason he took boat home the previous November was because D charges to store boats) - P all kind of messed up, testimony keeps changing, dude has no records and his memory doesn't jive with D's written records - anyway,  D says he thought P came and hauled it away shortly after being told it wasn't worth repairing. Says P even brought in his replacement boat to get the trolling motor fixed after hauling away the worthless wreck..... Problem is that D has loosey-goosey inventory arrangement where anyone who knows the gate code can come in and haul away a boat after hours. So it's entirely possible P hauled his boat away, but who knows, dude has over 50 boats on maybe 40 acres) and doesn't keep accurate count...... even if D lost the guy's boat (though why would a thief haul away a junk boat instead of something worth stealing) how much would he owe P?...... normally D would be liable for boat left by customer, but was this abandoned property after a year without paying the normal storage fees..... rough justice, MM decides boat WAS abandoned and case dismissed.... in hallterview D sort of admits he screwed up by saying if P brings in the replacement boat this year to be winterized he'll do it for free, but will only keep it 1 day before starting to charge storage

parking lot smash-up at Hard Rock Casino: P claims D had blinker on indicating she was going to turn into parking lot, so he pulled out into traffic and she smashed when she didn't turn and caused $3000 in damage to his ride...... silly case, old dude should have learned way way back when that you can't believe other driver's are turning just because you see their turn signal on - you have to drive defensively and assume everyone else is drunk/texting/inattentive/whatever and are lost and don't know where they're going until they've driven past it. As soon as I watch him at white board I figure there's no way he'll win, even if his account is 100% correct. He's good for a few chuckles, but when he says he has the right to depend on other drivers turning if they have turn signal on he loses me. I almost zipped ahead, but don't be tempted. Little old lady has the bigger laughes. Seems old codger actually wrote a letter to the insurance company instructing them not to pay if old lady makes a claim, cuz by golly she had her blinker on even though she denies it - nope, his insurance paid to fix her car plus rented her a car while hers was in shop. After the big laugh about the letter, he just repeats his story, using meaningless pictures of scene instead of the white board - nope, still claiming he should be able to make his right turn on red if old bitty with the green light has blinker indicating she's turning right..... then another laugh as he claims when cops arrive he let her talk to cops first because she’s 'elderly' - MM asks how old old codger is - 83 - then asks old lady - 80 - then suggests old next time old codger let D go first cuz she's a lady - oh and he tells us he was a boy scout, so he knows to let ladies go first - just not old buddies who lie about their blinkers, I guess...... ok, good for laughs, but no case, case dismissed..... I have feeling old codger just looking for something different to do for the day instead of hitting the casino 

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 6

For once, I actually liked the old codger (for the record, I am moving into that status myself and mostly enjoying it) case. Both litigants were polite and clearly stated their cases. Both were convinced they were correct but there was no nastiness between them (personally I think the plaintiff may give the defendant a call and ask her out for coffee and gambling). I understood the plaintiff's point of view but he was just wrong. In the hallterviews, he was polite and acknowledged he had lost and that you can't rely on other people's turn signals, and the defendant was nice and upbeat. A pleasant change.

• Love 5

bail money not repaid: crazy waste of time case over some long ago domestic violence case

I'm sure that Godzilla who smashed her way into the house ("It wasn't like, a real home invasion.") and about whom the police lied when they said she had a knife is just a wonderful mom. Plaintiff had no issues banging her after that, resulting in yet another blessed event. Learn how to use birth control or keep it in your pants. Geeze. Does no one have an iota of self-control any more?

disappearing boat: - interesting - no, not the case,

That's for sure. "I'll leave my old junk on your property for a year because I can't afford to fix the thing. I won't pay you but you better take good care of it." Next!

parking lot smash-up at Hard Rock Casino:

I didn't find the old geezer nearly as cute or amusing as JM did. I'm nowhere near 80, but yes - I always wait until the person with the turn signal actually starts to make the turn before I go, because I don't automatically trust everyone on the road. I've seen people ahead of me on the highway with their frickin' turn signals on for 20 miles.

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

I didn't find the old geezer nearly as cute or amusing as JM did.

He was enthusiastic, I’ll give him that.  And a nice dresser.  I suspect that not many people pay attention to him because he seemed to relish the attention while at the whiteboard.  And yes, we know what “faster” means. 

But I am in agreement with AngelaHunter that he’s not as cute as he tries to be...

Picture this: Thanksgiving dinner with 30 of his relatives sitting around the table. You just know he’s going to tell his tale of the right turn signal, the Hard Rock Cafe, insurance claims and how he captivated JM for a whole seven minutes. 

And make no mistake this damn story will be repeated several times over the weekend as new people drop by for pumpkin pie  

I suspect by the December holidays he’ll have his own portable whiteboard complete with markers and three toy cars in various colors.  Oh, and enough picture copies of the parking structure of the Hard Rock Cafe for all the family and assorted drop-ins.

Let’s face it...this wasn’t just a case...it was a total experience!

6 minutes ago, PsychoKlown said:

Picture this: Thanksgiving dinner with 30 of his relatives sitting around the table. You just know he’s going to tell his tale of the right turn signal, the Hard Rock Cafe, insurance claims and how he captivated JM for a whole seven minutes. 

Oh, god, yes. My father in law used to tell long tales as well. The difference is that his were really interesting - about his long-ago boxing and wrestling and vaudeville career, and not about some silly, pedestrian car accident that was his fault.

• Love 2

P today was a cheating bf in distant past - today's D was the 4 months pregnant gf who caught low down cheater with another woman..... 

As soon as plaintiff said it happened in 2009, I thought, SOL has to have run.  And of course, as usual, we have to listen to 20 minutes of BS for MM to get there.

Some people have no shame.  Stepping out on your pregnant girlfriend...nice.  Breaking in with a knife to take out the BF...charming.  Airing it out on national television...delightful.  Only feel sorry for the children.

And of course we need the whole sorry story that led to GF being arrested.  It's actually irrelevant.  The only thing that's remotely relevant is who's responsible for paying the bail.

Nothing to do with the merits of this case, but MM is far, far too trusting of police and police reports.  

"I had nowhere else to go.  I had to swallow my pride and go back to him..." and spread your legs?

how folks in some parts of the country winterize  their boats.

Winter?  What is this winter you speak of?  We got down to a chilly 89 degrees today.

52 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

That's for sure. "I'll leave my old junk on your property for a year because I can't afford to fix the thing. I won't pay you but you better take good care of it."

And yet the defendant, who freely admits he doesn't keep track of what boats are on his lot, still doesn't see a problem with his inventory system.  

How badly did the plaintiff really want his boat when he left it unattended for a year?  Sounds like somebody put a bug in his ear that he could get a bo-nanza.

57 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

I didn't find the old geezer nearly as cute or amusing as JM did. I'm nowhere near 80, but yes - I always wait until the person with the turn signal actually starts to make the turn before I go, because I don't automatically trust everyone on the road.

She always thinks old farts and young girls are cute.  Ick.  And oh, isn't it so cute that old people like to go to the casino.

I guess they were in Atlantic City.  Casino, and then Pacific, Pennsylvania Aves., like on Monopoly.

What happened to the Google maps function?  Back to the cheap, chintzy whiteboard.

He was so sure that he was in the right.  And the lady was gobsmacked to find out, in court, that he tried to get her insurance company to stiff her.  And then he tells the police she is elderly, when he's older than she is.

Another long, drawn out waste of a case that MM could have solved in 20 seconds.  You don't have right of way; you lose.

• Love 3
Just now, AngelaHunter said:

Oh, god, yes. My father in law used to tell long tales as well. The difference is that his were really interesting - about his long-ago boxing and wrestling and vaudeville career, and not about some silly, pedestrian car accident that was his fault.

Oh my gosh yes.  

I’ve noticed that as I get older I really enjoy stories by the older relatives.  I just wish I had asked them before most of my relatives died off.  I suppose those are lessons you learn as you get older.

Winter?  What is this winter you speak of?  We got down to a chilly 89 degrees today.

Meanwhile, I was in shorts working in garden today here in SW Oklahoma. Tonight, though, a cold front is blowing through & I see a graphic on the screen about a freeze watch tonight with wind gusts as high as 39mph. 😨😨😨😨

IIRC, though, case was about upstate NY winter of '17

• Love 1

"I had nowhere else to go.  I had to swallow my pride and go back to him..." and spread your legs?

And use no precautions, of course. Because babies just happen! Especially if you think that will trap an upstanding man to be a good daddy and hubby. Oh, well - kids can brag later on that Mommy was arrested for home invasion.

She always thinks old farts and young girls are cute.  Ick.

That's her own bias, from her kids and her elderly parents. Someone who is a not-cute PITA at 40 probably doesn't improve at age 80. Actually, I think treating the elderly as naughty but cute kids is quite disrespectful. I know someone who is 85 and moved into a senior residence. The cheerleader-like employees speak to her this way, "Now, wouldn't we like a nice little cup of tea?" "Fuck you", my friend muttered.

1 hour ago, PsychoKlown said:

I just wish I had asked them before most of my relatives died off.  I suppose those are lessons you learn as you get older.

How true. I deeply regret not asking my parents more about their past, where they got married, etc, and now I'll never know.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

And use no precautions, of course. Because babies just happen! Especially if you think that will trap an upstanding man to be a good daddy and hubby. Oh, well - kids can brag later on that Mommy was arrested for home invasion.

Well, presumably men know what condoms are.

21 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

yep, just think - her 6yo has can brag to all his classmates after this airs - did you see my mommy and daddy on TPC yesterday!?!

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Well, presumably men know what condoms are.

Oh, they know what they are, but don't care. It's the women who who carry the fruits of the b/f's loins for 9 months and end up as SSMO, and the daddies can just walk away to pollinate another day.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Oh, they know what they are, but don't care. It's the women who who carry the fruits of the b/f's loins for 9 months and end up as SSMO, and the daddies can just walk away to pollinate another day.

well, the women also know.  Except for when rape is involved, I don't really feel sorry for people who find themselves unwantedly pregnant or "trapped".  They knew what they were doing.  Even when BC fails, because everybody knows, or should know, that it's not 100% effective.  I do feel sorry for kids who wind up with craptastic parents, though.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 4

One of those 2 case days - 1 case dog attack (yes I watched) and second is a sad case of forever friendship ending because 1 friend spiraled out of control, either due to booze or maybe mental disease (bipolar) - worse part of second case is defendant obviously not ready to admit she needs help. Not sure exactly why, but look in her eyes during hallterview reminded me of Margot Kidder

dog attack / clueless owner: clueless old biddy who ignores repeated warnings from other owner that his dog is NOT friendly results in big time injury to her dog - and SHE'S the plaintiff. Old lady ignores warning, D steps back and shortens leash on his dog - P continues approaching, says her dog is friendly and allows her dog to go right up to the D and his dog - his dog attacks and causes injury..... old lady wrong for all kinds of reasons - according to D her errors include walking her dog on long, 16(?) foot leash. Granted, I'm taking D's version, but that's because he acts like he's reliving a traumatic experience and P acts like she is confused and can't remember much. Clincher is when P hubby offers up video of a witness and witness pretty much backs up everything D says happened. D wanted emotional distress and legal fees, but it's not that kind of case and gets nothing. Not sure why P sued (well, she wanted her vet bills paid) but all she got was MM asking WTH would you keep walking towards someone after being warned their freakin' dog IS NOT FRIENDLY! D not entirely blameless - knew his dog was aggressive (says it's fear based after it was attacked by other dogs). For most part sounds like he tried to do everything, but maybe he should consider a muzzle when in public - just saying, worth considering, but old biddy 99% at fault with tiny bit of 20-20 hindsight suggesting a muzzle. Case dismissed

Long time friend brings bedbugs and steals thousands: these two were friends long ago, lost touch, then reconnected through FB. D has gone through divorce and her lease is about up, P living alone in 3 bedroom house, P decides why not let D rent a room since they're becoming besties and D coming over alot anyway (nothing suggesting sexy suggested - just two childhood friends reconnecting) - D gets a jump on her move, and is moving in her stuff and sleeping in room before official move in - P is with D when, during walk through with old landlord, she overhears D asking about deposit return and being told no way is she getting it back after exterminators had to come twice to treat for bedbugs during her tenancy - WHOA! P is thinking, did he say bedbugs! D already has stuff moved into P's furnished spare room! She calls for bug guy to come and inspect - sure 'nuf, spare room now full of bugs - D trying to claim she never knew old place had bugs, says they must have already been in P's house - timing doesn't really back that claim, and P had exterminator out right away spraying for critters..... as if that isn't enough to make P think twice about renting out the spare bedroom, thousands of dollars in cash turns up missing - seems P runs a dog walking business, which I imagine is pretty much a cash business, so she probably had more cash on hand than she should have..... (side note: I decided to rent a room  to a friend/coworker a few years ago - we both worked in jobs where we received cash tips so I went and bought a safe -  I never told him I didn't have a safe before he moved in, and he's never known the combination (though he did keep a lock box in the safe, he had to come to me to get anything out)..... anyway, not only was money missing, but P reported it and D confessed to cops she took it - course today she says she only confessed because of her public defender was a lousy lawyer... of course D has a countersuit, partly for wrongful eviction, but if there was ever a roommate deserving the boot to the curb she sounds like the case... along with bugs and stolen money, turns out D was a closet drinker and P upset when 18yo visitor stumbled on the stash of booze in box of lemonade.... big kerfuffle when stash found, D confesses she's a boozer - P convinces her to check in hospital to dry out..... uh-oh, always been my understanding that person with problem has to admit it, but when MM turns to defendant she's all denial and claims P was pushing her and doing all the talking during admission process - as soon as she could she checked herself out and went back to the house - P tells her she not welcome - P let's her take some stuff, but insists D sign papers. This is good, because P videoed D reading and signing and we see the video right after D tells her story of not reading and being coerced into signing. Says she went back a second time to get rest of her crapola and P called cops to arrest her. Ok, not only does P have done signing confessions, but MM reads us her signed statement from the criminal case. Imagine that, lousy public defender couldn't get her signed confession thrown out. Actually starting to feel sorry for D when I see her hand shake as she takes a drink of water - not sure if it's booze or mental  (she admits she's bipolar). Time to end this one before MM ends up looking like a bully - especially when we learn the sentencing from the criminal case is still pending. Yep, MM stops pressing D and starts going over P's damage claim. I can believe most of this stuff, but P lacks those pesky/all important receipts/evidence to prove what she's saying. P gets part of what she asked for (totalling some 1600 bucks), not all. The missing thousands D confessed to taking is part of pending criminal case resolution and not dealt with here. D countersued for over 3 grand for missing items, but can't prove any of it ever existed - so nada.  Case ends with MM telling D she needs help and D still the queen of denial 

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 6

dog attack / clueless owner:

When I had my dogs I experienced many times at various places people either gabbing on phones or chitchatting to friends while their little dogs on those extendable leashes trotted around 15ft from their owners, and also experienced the, "It's okay. My dog is friendly!" as it charged towards my dogs, who were NOT friendly. I did use those retractable leashes, but only in a field or in the woods - never on a suburban street.

Plaintiff says def. only warned her once that his dog was not friendly. How many times should he have to repeat that before it sunk into her head? Def. was right, but his snickering and giggling and his stupid chest-length Billy Goat beard (are they ever attractive?) were highly annoying. There's nothing funny about an animal sustaining serious injuries, you asshole. Nothing plaintiff said made any sense at all. Take some responsibility and admit your poor little dog got hurt because of YOU.

Long time friend brings bedbugs and steals thousands:

That was kind of wild. See, this is why, if someone I knew in grade school contacted me on FB or whatever, saying they have no place to live I would NOT invite them to come live with me. I believed the bedbug stuff, and the alcoholic stuff AND the stealing as well. Was this 6K cash, or merchandise that was stolen? Def admitted to "borrowing" some rings and I can't imagine myself pleading guilty to stealing from my friend if I never did it. It was interesting and telling to note the difference in the appearances of P and D (even if plaintiff also has an unfortunate hair style) They're the same age yet D looked 15 years older. Alcoholism will do that to a person. JM always dislikes it when litigants imply that public defenders are not "real" lawyers. People who can't pay for "real" lawyers always seem to say this (when they lose), even though they were happy to avail themselves of the free service. Beggars can't be choosers!  I do feel maybe P was trying to get a little profit here. She doesn't seem to be so dumb she has no idea she needs proof to collect. Just take her word for it. Def. better clean up her act or she's not going to be around much longer.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, SRTouch said:

dog attack / clueless owner:

Clueless indeed, thinking that because her dog is friendly (or so she says), all other dogs will behave the same with it, which somehow gave her permission her to ignore warnings and bring her dog within reach of the other one. Defendant would do well however to slap on a muzzle from now on, just to be safe.

17 hours ago, SRTouch said:

Long time friend brings bedbugs and steals thousands:

She looked so flea-bitten herself, there no surprise about the bugs. The defendant was lucky there was prior bug report at her previous apartment which she knew about and which buttressed her case, but that should have been enough of a warning to immediately renege on the agreement before the other one moved in with her little "friends".

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Florinaldo said:

She looked so flea-bitten herself, there no surprise about the bugs.

I was thinking rode hard and put up wet, but flea-bitten will do.  Really, I was surprised plaintiff and defendant were the same age.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Rabbittron said:

I thought that condoms were balloons that were blown up for kids birthday parties. 

nah, they're what we used to put over the barrel of our rifle in the Army to keep dirt/rain/mud out.

• LOL 2

Flipped tv on while in kitchen to fix lunch and no TPC recorded on DVR. Appears as though this week is all reruns, with new cases coming back next Monday. I have DVR set to only record new episodes, but if you really want a recap there's a lengthy on back around page 117, dated 1 October 2018. Only 15 minutes left on today's episode, so I'll either have to eat real fast or watch something else while I have lunch...... oh, just the thing, I have a couple old Steve McQueen's 'Wanted: Dead or Alive' episodes recorded from INSPHD.

• Love 2

The 20 year old businessman must have read somewhere that when attending a court date it is best to impress the judge with a jacket and tie.  

Unfortunately this doofus had no idea that a tie one wears when one is six years old cannot be worn when said doofus is 20 because it will indeed look several inches shorter because adult doofus has grown while the tie remains suitable for a child.  Wonder if it was a clip-on? 

Honest to Pete he looked like a distant relative of Jethro Bodine. 

And that table...I really doubt any of the kids are going to be scrappin’ for that monstrosity when mom and dad travel to that big Italian restaurant in the sky.  

However, suing each other for the four-plus grand certainly is a likely proposition if our experience with battling siblings on these court shows is any indication. 

18 hours ago, PsychoKlown said:

Unfortunately this doofus had no idea that a tie one wears when one is six years old cannot be worn when said doofus is 20 because it will indeed look several inches shorter because adult doofus has grown while the tie remains suitable for a child.  Wonder if it was a clip-on? 

This is what happens when Daddy gives his not-too-bright boy a business to play with and boy brings in his utter asshole friend to work with him. But yeah, that table is not something I would ever want but a matter of taste. the fact that plaintiffs cheaped out and hired these two idiots is on them. I enjoyed this repeat.

Today we got a new Shopping Cart Bitch (at least I'd never seen it). The pig-nosed def was as arrogant as she was stupid, calling her cart hitting the plaintiff's car "an act of God". We, including JM who detested her, all know what happened. She was too lazy to return her cart to the stall, stood in the middle of the lane and gave it a mighty shove. It bounced off a snowbank and smashed plaintiff's car. But you can't expect her to have time for this petty shit, so she takes off. Luckily plaintiff got her plate number. In the hall she still insists she's right, and her wormy little hubby backs her up even though he wasn't there.

Then we had plaintiff, who is "emotionally distressed" to the tune of 2600$ because her grass has yellow spots. Def. laid sod for her - and power washed her driveway for free -  and told her he would monitor the growth, but she orders him off her property when yellow spots appear. I'm willing to bet her idea of watering it consisted of an hour or two per day. She complained the roots hadn't taken at all, which is usually a sign of sparse watering. If poor lawns cause this level of emotional distress, I should be highly distressed for the entire summer. I just need someone to blame it on. Plaintiff gets not one penny.

Last one - rent nonsense, litigants who had "altercations" and made holes in the walls - I couldn't be bothered with this garabage and gave it up. I lived in a few apartments before buying a house and not once did I make holes in the walls. Ridiculous.

Edited by AngelaHunter
32 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

The fact that plaintiffs cheaped out and hired these two idiots is on them. I enjoyed this repeat.

So true. I too am confused why they got all the money they did.  That ceramic “heirloom” probably saw more traffic in that Italian restaurant than I-95 at rush hour. It just had to have imperfections...so why the four grand?  Maybe JM didn’t think much of that tie either. 

Today we got a new Shopping Cart Bitch (at least I'd never seen it). The pig-nosed def was as arrogant as she was stupid, calling her cart hitting the plaintiff's car "an act of God.  

At the end of this spectacle starring the pig headed/nosed defendant I immediately thought of that family who were defendants on Judge Judy and want so much for her to cross their paths.  Remember the family where hose beast mom parked in the handicapped spot while dad and son ran to the ATM?  A nosy sawed off little man made a snarky comment to them about their car being parked illegally and eventually son and dad kicked his lights out while hose beast (elementary school teacher) accused sawed off interloper of rape.  Miss Act of God needs to behave herself  I am thinking there are more people out there like the feral family than this nice, coolheaded plaintiff.

Then we had plaintiff, who is "emotionally distressed" to the tune of 2600$ because her grass has yellow spots. Def. laid sod for her - and power washed her driveway for free -  and told her he would monitor the growth, but she orders him off her property when yellow spots appear. I'm willing to bet her idea of watering it consisted of an hour or two per day. 

We just went through this ourselves. Constant watering is the only solution...and if it’s summertime that produces its own set of problems. The watering and hot sun is conducive to burning. The people in Arizona have it right. Throw bags of rocks down. Done.  

The process is tedious and frustrating but I would never think of accusing the landscaper if in fact, he did nothing wrong. Another payday/bonanza suit. 

Edited by PsychoKlown