Type keyword(s) to search

The People's Court - General Discussion

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The problem with urgent care, a.k.a. Doc in a Box around here their hours, they're open barely more than my doctor's office is available.  

Yeah you're getting screwed.  Our Box Docs are open 8a-8p M-F and 8a-5p Sat & Sun.

A few years ago, I had a tooth (all of a sudden) go to Defcon 5, "I'mma just gonna kill myself" on a Saturday afternoon.

I have a high pain threshold...shoot me in the leg, arm? Whatev.  But if my teeth or eyeballs hurt, I crumple up like a whipped puppy.

Not one single dentist in a 50 mile radius would answer the phone.   The Prima Care receptionist said "we don't do teeth" I begged & pleaded...the Doc looked in my mouth, saw the ridic inflammation, gave me strong pain meds and antibiotics.

Crisis averted.  If not for that sweet sympathetic doc in the box and my $65...I'd have been the lead story on the local news. Somebody was fixin' to die.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, zillabreeze said:

I have a high pain threshold...shoot me in the leg, arm? Whatev.  But if my teeth or eyeballs hurt, I crumple up like a whipped puppy.

OMG, are we related? I too have a very high pain threshold. My doctors love me. "Are you okay"? they ask as they do something heinous to me. "Sure", I say. No problem.

ANYTHING to do with eyes or teeth? Oh, hell. Prior to a needle in my gums, I once hyperventiliated so badly in the chair the doc had to give me a paper bag to breathe into. It wasn't the thought of pain, though, but the thought of a needle sliding into my gums. Ewww. Squick! I had to turn off "Marathon Man" immediately at the tooth torture thing.

I would never consider contact lenses. Stick something in my eye? Like, no. I can't even stand watching someone else do it. No touch the eyeballs! I never in my life watched "A Clockwork Orange" because of one pic of Malcolm McDowell with those clamps holding his eyes open. To this day I have not watched the scene in The Walking Dead when the Governor gets the glass shard in his eye. All the other guts, gore and mayhem bothered me not at all. I went to an opthamologist last week. It took him 3 tries to get drops in my eyes.

😕

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Today we had the military plaintiff ("Thank you for your service") suing silly, douche-baggy overaged boy for 7K for destoying and disposing of property in the house that P (foolishly) rented to boy in a rent-to-own deal. The written agreement clearly states that either party can terminate the lease agreement with 30 day's notice. Def douchebag claims he read the lease many times, and just did so recently and nowhere is that clause present. OH, well - he doesn't have the lease of front of him right now, but trust him, it wasn't there. JM has the lease and it clearly IS there. There is also a clause that states no alterations are to be made to the property without written consent of the P and that before and after pictures must be provided. Oops. But D says he phoned P all the time in Iraq - JM wants to know how much those phone calls cost -  and got his permission to remove the sauna and the fence. P denies that and wants 4K for his 15-year old sauna that D claims was moldy and giving him breathing probs. He has his witness - whoever the hell he was, maybe his daddy? - state there was black mold which could only be seen once the sauna was torn out. JM wants to know why, if they couldn't see the mold they knew it was there? Umm...they saw it when they ripped out it. Okay, go away, witness. Def still has his large butt lodged in the house as P tries to evict him. D is also affronted that P sent over a  - what do you call it? Oh, yes - something called a "ril-a-tor" to show the property and it seems D sabotaged that. P hates D with a the heat of a thousand suns. Oh, D also gave or loaned the P's lawnmower to some neighbour and he doesn't understand why P doesn't just go and get it back, since he knows darned well where it is. JM orders moon-faced D to get the mower back and awards P 1000$ for his sauna but nothing for the fence which was rotted to pieces.  The house looks like a pigsty from what we can see of it. I want Def to be sent to Iraq.

I think this was our first COVID case? I hope someone from the IRS really does watch these court shows. In this case, P is suing D because he worked a lot in her bar. Those posters were... intriguing. He did the bartending, made all the food all by himself in a place that seats 250 and did a million other jobs, including repairing the floor (he says the floor was caved in. She says there were a couple of loose boards) and the women's bathroom because the floor buckled and a customer fell and hit her head. He did all this in expectation that D would turn the bar over to him when she retired, but of course no such agreement is in writing. Can someone tell me why a litigant who openly admits he gets paid under the table and is a tax cheat (and probably always has been) is not subject to the doctrine of clean hands? Not only he wants the 1475$-tax free money he says D owes him for all his repairs but wants 3200-odd $ in pain and suffering in order to get to the magic 5K, because his feelings were hurt and he feels D should  act like his momma and just give him money because he's now on hard times. due to COVID. D admitted in a text that she would pay him, so he's awarded his 1475$ for the work and nothing for his hurt feelings. He's a man past middle age and needs to take care of himself.

I used to wonder why so many litigants didn't want their last names used here. I thought it made no sense, since anyone who knew them would recognize them. Now I see it's probably because they owe all kinds of money or taxes and don't want to be traced.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Today we had the military plaintiff ("Thank you for your service") suing silly, douche-baggy overaged boy for 7K for destoying and disposing of property in the house that P (foolishly) rented to boy in a rent-to-own deal. The written agreement clearly states that either party can terminate the lease agreement with 30 day's notice. Def douchebag claims he read the lease many times, and just did so recently and nowhere is that clause present. OH, well - he doesn't have the lease of front of him right now, but trust him, it wasn't there. JM has the lease and it clearly IS there. There is also a clause that states no alterations are to be made to the property without written consent of the P and that before and after pictures must be provided. Oops. But D says he phoned P all the time in Iraq - JM wants to know how much those phone calls cost -  and got his permission to remove the sauna and the fence. P denies that and wants 4K for his 15-year old sauna that D claims was moldy and giving him breathing probs. He has his witness - whoever the hell he was, maybe his daddy? - state there was black mold which could only be seen once the sauna was torn out. JM wants to know why, if they couldn't see the mold they knew it was there? Umm...they saw it when they ripped out it. Okay, go away, witness. Def still has his large butt lodged in the house as P tries to evict him. D is also affronted that P sent over a  - what do you call it? Oh, yes - something called a "ril-a-tor" to show the property and it seems D sabotaged that. P hates D with a the heat of a thousand suns. Oh, D also gave or loaned the P's lawnmower to some neighbour and he doesn't understand why P doesn't just go and get it back, since he knows darned well where it is. JM orders moon-faced D to get the mower back and awards P 1000$ for his sauna but nothing for the fence which was rotted to pieces.  The house looks like a pigsty from what we can see of it. I want Def to be sent to Iraq.

I think this was our first COVID case? I hope someone from the IRS really does watch these court shows. In this case, P is suing D because he worked a lot in her bar. Those posters were... intriguing. He did the bartending, made all the food all by himself in a place that seats 250 and did a million other jobs, including repairing the floor (he says the floor was caved in. She says there were a couple of loose boards) and the women's bathroom because the floor buckled and a customer fell and hit her head. He did all this in expectation that D would turn the bar over to him when she retired, but of course no such agreement is in writing. Can someone tell me why a litigant who openly admits he gets paid under the table and is a tax cheat (and probably always has been) is not subject to the doctrine of clean hands? Not only he wants the 1475$-tax free money he says D owes him for all his repairs but wants 3200-odd $ in pain and suffering in order to get to the magic 5K, because his feelings were hurt and he feels D should  act like his momma and just give him money because he's now on hard times. due to COVID. D admitted in a text that she would pay him, so he's awarded his 1475$ for the work and nothing for his hurt feelings. He's a man past middle age and needs to take care of himself.

I used to wonder why so many litigants didn't want their last names used here. I thought it made no sense, since anyone who knew them would recognize them. Now I see it's probably because they owe all kinds of money or taxes and don't want to be traced.

Dang! Out of sync again and I had recent reruns - recent covid wedding cancelation and whatever econd case would have been had I watched.  Going to have to keep checking reruns to see what's on since my program guide doesn't match and one day this episodes I'm missing will show up being replayed

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 1

My guess is the show issues a 1099 or something with appearance and expense money to each litigant, now only appearance/award money, and that will go to the IRS.  My guess is the tax cheat's information will be sent to the usual IRS section, with a little note attached explaining the situation, and probably a DVD of the case. 

Judge John is really enjoying the case discussions now.   He took a few shows to get into it, but I'm hoping he's permanent, with occasional appearances by their dog too.  

I'm betting today's case with the rent to buy was because the homeowner couldn't sell the place.  I worked for the military for many years, and where I used to live the last time, it was really hard to sell a house.   So some would do the rent with option to buy, and virtually none actually went through.   

This (Tuesday the 27th) afternoon's new zoom episode are two sisters who bought a time share at Disneyworld, and neither sister has gone there in a long time.   Defendant only went to the time share once, but didn't say when.    Plaintiff sister stopped paying in 2019, cancelled her autopay at her bank, and the time share people were ticked.   The non-paying sister says the other sister was always late paying.   

Very boring case, and I wonder how Judge Marilyn stays awake for this one?   Judge Marilyn tells them to contact one of the time share dumping services.     The sisters are still behind on the monthly payment, but plaintiff supposedly paid for January to June 2020, I wonder when this was filmed?  Account for time share went to collections.   Plaintiff paid what she needed to so it would be out of collections, and the two sisters simply don't communicate.  

How nice (not really) Levin is now chiming in off screen.  

Sadly for my delicate digestion, Judge Marilyn is in family counselor mode today.  Plaintiff gets $612.   

New case #2 condo owner (Ms. Petrillo, not Sofia from the Golden Girls)   suing upstairs unit owners for a four month leak through the ceiling (plaintiff rents condo out).   Defendant (who also rents condo out) says he made the repairs as soon as he found out about the leak, and can't believe plaintiff is suing for $5,000.   The management company rep is Mr. Barbarino (not Vinny from Welcome Back Kotter).      Defendant claims the leak was from the waste pipe above plaintiff's unit, and it was a condo problem, not his.   Pipe was fixed, then tenant of plaintiff's apartment sent a photo of another leak.   Building is 50 years old.   Second leak was tenant upstairs took a shower with shower curtain outside the tub, causing the second leak.    What planet does plaintiff live on where she thinks a few dropped ceiling tiles are worth $5,000?    Ceiling tiles were getting moldy, so plaintiff had a contractor who replaced the tiles for $170.    Condo management guy says they don't have a maintenance staff, so they told Petrillo to replace them, and send them the bill, and plaintiff never sent the bill to condo management.  Plaintiff claims the leak isn't fixed (I think painting with Kilz, and getting rid of the stain).      Defendant's tenant sound like an idiot.   

Plaintiff wants punitive damages totaling $5,000.    Plaintiff's tenant will now testify (bet Petrillo promised her a part of the award, and tenant will be rather dramatic).   Downstairs tenant says leak isn't fixed, but claims defendant's tenants moved out a while ago, but defendant says tenants are still there.     My guess is whoever is using the shower upstairs is a total idiot, and still leaves the shower curtain outside the shower/tub.  Judge Marilyn tells the condo guy, and defendant need to investigate the leak situation.     Plaintiff will be paid by the condo manager for her tiles.   30 days from now Judge Marilyn expects the plumber, defendant, and condo manager will submit reports, fix the leak, and replace the tiles.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Sadly for my delicate digestion, Judge Marilyn is in family counselor mode today. 

This case was so tedious and boring I skipped to the end, because I made a bet with myself that JM would pull out the family love thing. But yeah - I live in NY, hate to travel, and don't want to fly, so I think what I should do is buy a timeshare in Florida. I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time. I'll never use it, but I like the thought of owning it. And is it really easier to say "we was" instead of "we were"? I know "were" has one more letter, but it's still only one syllable. I fear I might start saying that myself.

21 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

New case #2 condo owner

(Sofia) Petrillo! (Vinnie) Barberino! Another boring case. But why on earth do people who rent out their condos, homes or whatever, get the idea that tenants give a rat's ass about taking care of property that someone else owns? Yeah, def may have "educated" his tenant and tried to teach her/him to put the shower curtain inside the tub when they shower, but why should they bother? They're not damaging their own property, so screw that. I wonder if P will ever get over 4K in punitive damages which is what she was claiming. This show never fails to make me glad I am neither a tenant nor a landlord.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

This case was so tedious and boring I skipped to the end, because I made a bet with myself that JM would pull out the family love thing. But yeah - I live in NY, hate to travel, and don't want to fly, so I think what I should do is buy a timeshare in Florida. I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time. I'll never use it, but I like the thought of owning it. And is it really easier to say "we was" instead of "we were"? I know "were" has one more letter, but it's still only one syllable. I fear I might start saying that myself.

(Sofia) Petrillo! (Vinnie) Barberino! Another boring case. But why on earth do people who rent out their condos, homes or whatever, get the idea that tenants give a rat's ass about taking care of property that someone else owns? Yeah, def may have "educated" his tenant and tried to teach her/him to put the shower curtain inside the tub when they shower, but why should they bother? They're not damaging their own property, so screw that. I wonder if P will ever get over 4K in punitive damages which is what she was claiming. This show never fails to make me glad I am neither a tenant nor a landlord.

Did anyone else experience really bad audio for the first case?

We had a good laugh about Mrs. Petrillo and Mr. Barberiono, too.  

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Did anyone else experience really bad audio for the first case?

I don't know since I mostly depend on the CC. However, the CC on this show always seriously lag lately behind what's being said. That only happens on this show.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm a retired librarian, Liberry is my most hated word pronunciation ever.     

That drives me nuts. The person I know who does it the most is an educator with either a PhD, or EdD.

• Love 1
On 10/22/2020 at 2:27 PM, SRTouch said:

next is desperate woman who 'loaned' loser 3 grand: old story that I bailed on early....... P says the two were never in a 'relationship' - yet they were intimate and dude sometimes lives with her and her spawn...... oh, and the whole time she was loaning dude money he was sleeping in her bed she knew he had over women on the side....... MM begins going through the list of things the SSM paid for - I hear about the weed he 'needed' and about tickets so loser could go see his other kids living with 'their' mommies....... that was it for me, lunch was over and I moved back to living room where I had left the remote........ I pick things up in the hallterview where Doug tells us P gets nothing........ then Doug asks if dude comes back tonight for a booty call is SSM going to invite him in - oh, yeah, she says, they're still best friends

I always say that you can't fix stupid. 🙄

On 10/22/2020 at 2:27 PM, SRTouch said:

MM stresses that P is to only keep his deductible and forward rest to his insurance (Doug even mentions it in hallterview) but somehow I bet greedy P pockets the full amount

On 10/23/2020 at 9:54 AM, AngelaHunter said:

Won't the show make the check out to the insurance company, but for the deductible? I know I've heard JJ say this many times that's what will be done when someone wants to collect for unpaid utilities, rental cars, rent, etc.

That was my thought too - that they would issue the cheque directly to the insurance company.  I figured that her strict instructions were just for effect.

On 10/23/2020 at 9:54 AM, AngelaHunter said:

Those Yorkies, now. 100lb dogs in 7lb bodies. I was walking my 80lb Shep/collie mix when two Yorkies in adorable Xmas coats came flying across the street, yapping frantically, to attack my dog.  One of them was leaping up to try and bite his face and he just lifted his head out of reach and gave me a "WTF?" look. I just thought how lucky the owners were this was my calm dog, and not one who would have defended himself and maybe killed both of them in two bites.

Well, what happened next?  I'm dying to hear how the owners reacted to their dogs' behaviour. 😀

• Love 2

Man - PC was usually the court show that was so good about giving us the updates on the not-fully-settled cases.  I wanted to know if the leak ever got fixed.  Loved the  mansplaining - well, you know....50 year old buildings are hard to diagnose (little lady).  Ugh.

17 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

But why on earth do people who rent out their condos, homes or whatever, get the idea that tenants give a rat's ass about taking care of property that someone else owns? Yeah, def may have "educated" his tenant and tried to teach her/him to put the shower curtain inside the tub when they shower, but why should they bother? They're not damaging their own property, so screw that.

We've been lucky so far in renting out our duplex but you haven't seen 'screw that' until you've seen a horrifying loser living out a 'life estate' in someone else's house.  Long, long story very short...my sil's 'step monster' had a life estate in a home owned by my sil and her sister.  All she had to do over more than 20 years was pay the taxes on the property and her legal obligation was 'upkeep' on the house to keep it in roughly the same condition as 20 years ago.  My sil finally got the property back about a month ago...they never kept up anything in the house...wallpaper is peeling, stickers all over walls, a room painted HOT PINK with an eggplant ceiling, leaking roof, rotted sills, black mold, plumbing leaks all over the place, inoperable appliances, holes in walls...I mean...a complete gut job.  It's been almost like victimization all over again for her to see her childhood home utterly demolished and now she has to sue the woman for 'waste' because she forced money into escrow for the 'improvements' she said she did on the house.  It goes on and on.  Because that's all going on right now, it made me less sympathetic to the P but it also sucks in that case that she had to sue and make it a big case just so they would actually fully complete repairs.  

• Love 2

This morning's rerun (remote version) of the people who had their dog mangled by Gucci the Pit mix is pathetic.    The defendant is sitting there smirking, and knows that nothing will happen to her or her dog.    There's a simple reason, in that area (Arkansas) just like many others, outsiders who purchase or rent property are always outsiders, and justice is very different for the residents.     The farm hand who was dog sitting is such a liar, and seems rather rehearsed.      If the plaintiffs are smart, they will sell that part time condo, and buy somewhere that they're not running into the hate for outsiders.     I bet you anything the defendant's sister who lives right there in the same complex put the dog back in the house.

What a surprise, the defendant was acquitted by court, because (plaintiffs say defendant didn't show up in court), but defendant says her dog was innocent, and the plaintiffs are mistaken about the appearance of her dog, they've seen her dog numerous times.     At one time the plaintiffs were thinking they would have to put their dog down, but he barely survived.     Be aware that many places want part time residents, or retirees, but they treat them like garbage too.       Judge Marilyn is being flippant about the plaintiff's money requests.    And no, defendant isn't being contrite, she knows nothing will happen to her dog, just like it didn't happen the other times, and I bet there were others.   $2573 to plaintiffs. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, aemom said:

That was my thought too - that they would issue the cheque directly to the insurance company.  I figured that her strict instructions were just for effect.

I hope so. Really, who would believe most of these litigants even if their tongues were notarized? I know I've heard JJ say, "The cheque will made payable to the landlord/insurance company" or whatever. I'm pretty sure JM isn't that guillible she would trust anyone to do the right thing.

6 hours ago, aemom said:

Well, what happened next?  I'm dying to hear how the owners reacted to their dogs' behaviour.

They were nowhere in sight. Little dogs were out alone, to get run over, stolen, attacked by other dogs or cats, kicked by irate dog walkers, etc. 😏

• Love 2

Today we had the Boozy Burl Ives suing his ex-squeeze, the grifting Camilla Bowes, for 7K or so. We get an irritating rambling intro from Burl, who appears to be chewing on a particularly tough piece of meat, expounding on how these lovebirds reconnected after decades and all that. He paid for her lawyer so she could sue for guardianship of her mother who was apparently being taken advantage of by some evil niece. The money to pay Burl back would come from the windfall when Camilla took over Mom's assets. That never happened. Next, Camilla - who was or is a stockbroker -  tells b/f how to save or invest his money. He  pooh-poohs the idea, so she says if he wants to give it all to the government, "Give it to me instead". Of course. We all take anything and everything we can get by any means. She needs new choppers so he gives a few more thousand to get her some dental implants. She did that, since she appears to have a mouthful of Chicklets now. JM wants to know why Burl got a promissory note for the first "loan", didn't get anything back, yet gave her more money. He mumbles and mutters, trying to explain why he says in his complaint he knew he'd never get the first amount back, so why bother with a second promissory note? JM quickly deduces that the first loan was going to be repaid with Mom's money, and the second was just boyfriend helping out girlfriend with whom he'd lived for about 6 years. Camilla says he told her never to take seriously anything he says after 5:30p.m. when he's hammered and she claims that's the only time he asked for repayment so she ignored it. She claims they broke up because his "cocktail hours" made him abusive and mean and blah blah. She put up with all that abuse until she got the lawyer paid and her new toofies riveted in. Zippo for Burl.

Next case involved another fence fight. Plaintiffs are suing defs for the cost of a new fence after D's dogs - a pack of earth-moving Chihuahuas - dug under the fence constantly. Defs piled a bunch of crap against the fence to keep the Chis at bay, but it didn't work. There's also a palm tree that grew and now is pushing the fence out of whack. Ps agree to remove the tree if the defs will pay for the fence, or half of it or something like that. I was a little distracted because this fence truly looks as though it may have been installed just after The Great Flood.

Two years later and Ds haven't paid a single penny. Oh, well - she had a heart operation and was in a car accident so you can't expect her to go out and do demolition and dig posts, can you? JM wants to know why her husband could do absolutely nothing about getting the job done? He works every day and yadda yadda. Never did he have a moment in 2 years to arrange to get the work done. Finally P sends a text to Ds asking when they can expect the money for the fence? Snarky, smirky, nasty D wife - hated her! - answers and says they sold their house and they're moving anyway, so "fix your own fence." JM says, "Shame on you" to the deadbeats and orders a payment of over 2K to plaintiffs.

Then we get a house painter sporting the weirdest beard ever seen suing his client for non-payment of his services. Def, who has scary, cartoon eyebrows and who loves purple so much even her hair is purple, claims that P was supposed to paint 4 bedrooms, living room, dining room, kitchen AND put up a backsplash in the kitchen in ONE DAY and for 1000$!. She thought he had a mythological super team, but turns out he works alone and never told her he had a team. Does she really think he could work and pay some team with 1000$?? He paints the downstairs in two days then informs D he'll be a little late on the day of his return. She flips out and tells him not to come back and that the job he did is like a kid with crayons. She thinks he deserves nothing for the work. In his texts he tries to claim she agreed to 2500$. HIs texts are quite lengthy and rather lyrical, for the most part. She replies "it wasn't never no 2500$". JM asks P why it changed from 1K to 2500 and he admits maybe he wrote that in error. JM awards him 750$ for the work he did.

• Love 3
On 10/24/2020 at 9:55 AM, AngelaHunter said:

ANYTHING to do with eyes or teeth?

Yes, we're kindred. (But, I wear contacts, go figger)

So, to keep it show related....our frequent litigants and their rotted out teeth (Care Credit) issues send me scratching the walls.  

The P usually wants the D to pay for the teeth fixing.  IMO, it's usually the P that was just looking for a fixer-upper and wanted the work done.  D didn't previously give a damn about his trench mouth. 

• Love 1

Hmmmmmm my provider is sort of in sync. Only sort of, though, because I'm now scheduled to get two episodes, new in morning and rerun in afternoon, and today had the new episodes shown a second time in the afternoon....... oh, and the order I watched the cases was different than AH's recap

33 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Today we had the Boozy Burl Ives suing his ex-squeeze, the grifting Camilla Bowe

For some reason I thought this whole case was a hoot. I agree with MM's decision. Old dude deserved nothing - but kind of regret greedy Camilla got away without paying (though maybe she paid too much putting up with the drunk's cocurtail hour 

Next case involved another fence fight. Plaintiffs are suing defs for the cost of a new fence after D's dogs - a pack of earth-moving Chihuahuas - dug under the fence constantly

Another funny case - maybe I should stop watching in the morning since I enjoy the cases more in the afternoon. MM must have really been pissed at these snooty defendant's thumbing their nose at their agreement. No way that fence was worth 2 grand - I was thinking D should pay an equivalent amount to the $400 P paid to get rid of tree..... still, there was an actual written agreement for D to repair the fence with no estimate provided, so MM socked it to them.

Then we get a house painter sporting the weirdest beard ever seen suing his client for non-payment of his services. Def, who has scary, cartoon eyebrows and who loves purple so much even her hair is purple, claims that P was supposed to paint 4 bedrooms, living room, dining room, kitchen AND put up a backsplash in the kitchen in ONE DAY and for 1000$!. She thought he had a mythological super team, but turns out he works alone and never told her he had a team. Does she really think he could work and pay some team with 1000$?? He paints the downstairs in two days then informs D he'll be a little late on the day of his return. She flips out and tells him not to come back and that the job he did is like a kid with crayons. She thinks he deserves nothing for the work. In his texts he tries to claim she agreed to 2500$. HIs texts are quite lengthy and rather lyrical, for the most part. She replies "it wasn't never no 2500$". JM asks P why it changed from 1K to 2500 and he admits maybe he wrote that in error. JM awards him 750$ for the work he did.

Again, I thought MM may have been overly generous in this award - maybe because she thought homeowner was premature pulling the plug. She awarded over 75% of the total payment for the job, and I was thinking Painter/handyman completed less than half the job since he just painted downstairs and never did backsplash........ I think the award may have had some wrist slapping for the nonsense P was spouting - noway could anyone have completed the job in 1 day as P claimed was the agreement, and she showed pix of work in progress instead of completed work.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, SRTouch said:

Again, I thought MM may have been overly generous in this award - maybe because she thought homeowner was premature pulling the plug.

Yes, I think she really hates people who try and get away with paying not a nickel for work done, as the Purple Lover was trying to do. Really, I've had work done and if a contractor said he'd paint my whole house for 1000$(!) I don't think I'd pitch a hissy if he said he could only show up at 10 - 11a.m instead of at the crack of dawn. These shameless deadbeats are always trying to wrangle something for nothing.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

She did that, since she appears to have a mouthful of Chicklets now.

Firstly, good quality full mouth of implants is about $25k.

Secondly, if Camilla paid only 7k$, she got exactly what she paid for - hers are awful!   

Cammie still has that weird mouth, teeth slappy thing going on that's identical to old school dentures.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

Yes, I think she really hates people who try and get away with paying not a nickel for work done, as the Purple Lover was trying to do. Really, I've had work done and if a contractor said he'd paint my whole house for 1000$(!) I don't think I'd pitch a hissy if he said he could only show up at 10 - 11a.m instead of at the crack of dawn. These shameless deadbeats are always trying to wrangle something for nothing.

I bout fell off the couch at $1000 price tag!!!  Fair market around here is about $400 per room & It's easily a full week with a 2-3 person crew. It's all also depending on if doors and trim come into play.  That's where the real work is.

I'd prob take a pass at the too cheap bid, but dudes work looked pretty darned good.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, zillabreeze said:

Firstly, good quality full mouth of implants is about $25k.

Secondly, if Camilla paid only 7k$, she got exactly what she paid for - hers are awful!   

Cammie still has that weird mouth, teeth slappy thing going on that's identical to old school dentures.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think she paid only something like 3500$ for the porcelain smile(don't know how many implants she got), and the 7K was for that and the lawyer?

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think she paid only something like 3500$ for the porcelain smile(don't know how many implants she got), and the 7K was for that and the lawyer?

You're prob right.  Either way, they weren't at all realistic looking.   

• Love 1

No momentous legal precedents set during today's cases, but fun to watch court tv.

first case about rowdy neighbor having big kerfuffle with biker bf at 2am. P watching the screaming match and just enjoying the show until things get a little physical and he sees the combatants pushing and shoving on top of his new car - once he suspects his car is being damaged he decides to call the cops - cops arrive and no obvious physical injuries calling for an arrest - but P's new car has a couple scratches and he's talking about pressing charges - cops negotiate a settlement on scene where D agrees to pay for repairs if P doesn't press charges - i guess cops suggested he present a simple contract with the estimate and get her to sign - he gets the estimate, which MM says is pretty reasonable, but when he presents it to D with an agreement to that she'll pay she decides that's too much money and changes her mind - well, heck, P decides if she isn't living up to the agreement he going to tack on the car rental that he was initially willing to pay for himself - D trying to cast doubt on how scratches actually happened and whether or not P could actually see what he says he saw, but really that doesn't matter since she made a verbal contract, with the cops as witness, that she would pay....... MM points out that if D had signed the agreement P presented with the estimate she would have saved herself from paying for the rental, but since she tried to get out of the agreement D now has to pay that, too....... oh, & pretty simple as to what is owed, since P has already paid for the repair and rental and is just asking to be paid what he paid - wow, no pain and suffering or harrassment claim........ 

second case is about a room rental in the Florida Keys - not sure how long P planned to stay, but when she arrived turned out the room wasn't what she expected - she expected a quaint (with AC) room in a house on the water, but when she arrived she found the room she had been promised was occupied by a couple squatters who were fighting eviction - unlike the usual litigants which turn out so easy to hate/despise/loath, I think these two just have very different ideas of what is acceptable - Florida Keys lady is sort of elderly and fine with no AC in January - also, she had a replacement room which she said was nicer & bigger (but no AC) - oh, and I guess in the Florida Keys if you're on the water it's no biggy if you have the occasional rat wander in, you just set traps and whack any you see - P is from NC and, like so many folks nowadays, can barely survive temps not between 68-78° - and definitely NO RATS! This lady even tried to sue because her dog was bit by a fire ant - she was NOT HAPPY and left after 11 days - oh, and P is a ventriloquist and MM has Douglas swear in the dummy as a witness (I think this was pure TV entertainment, but also let MM see dummy had a damaged eye with P alleged happened during tenancy - not sure if that was listed in damage claim, but if it was P didn't get anything for dummy's boo-boo)........ only real problem I had with P was that she apparently went crazy adding every little thing onto her damages until she wanted something like $3800...... D had a whole other set of problems resulting from not being upfront with her tenant - she knew a couple months before hand that P was driving down from NC and the squatters were still in the promised room, but she never called to warn the P, instead, depending on who's talking, P found out either once she arrived or the day before when she called from the road - when plaintiff arrives D convinces her to take the room without AC, oh, and warns her about leaving anything laying around because the deadbeat squatters have sticky fingers - I think MM would have overlooked the rat since she agreed they're commonplace on the Keys and D took action immediately by whacking rat - but, again, I think Florida Keys lady much more relaxed about the rat than most would have been......... when decision time comes it came down to P was promised an air conditioned room which turned out not to be available - she also had to deal with sticky fingered squatters who didn't clean up after themselves and helped themselves to her food - oh, and the rats - MM said she might have thought about letting D keep part of the deposit since P was there 11 days, but said there was enough wrong with place that D had to return whole $500........ Judge John had whole bit during after verdict about the Dummy

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, SRTouch said:

first case about rowdy neighbor having big kerfuffle with biker bf at 2am.

It's always a good day when we don't hear about child or animal abuse! These cases were quite entertaining.

I was a little miffed at JM ragging on the plaintiff for calling the police only when he saw his car being vandalized and not when poor, innocent little damsel in distress was being brutalized by her crazy boyfriend. Said damsel looked and sounded like a rough, hard-rode gutter rat who probably was coked up and  who not only could give as good as she got - trashy brawling in public at 2a.m. -  but probably has had many "physical altercations" with her Sir Galahad, someone so out of control and lacking in vocabulary that he uses his knife to vandalize any property within reach to express his exasperation with his lady. Def seemed to think that was not out of the ordinary. She says she's no longer seeing him but I had a feeling that's who we saw skulking around in the background. A lot of people seem to enjoy high drama, which is fine except when innocent strangers are victimized. I'm glad P got everything he sued for. It was beyond reasonable, and why should he have to take his car to some shady lowlife recommended by the sleazy D?

second case is about a room rental in the Florida Keys

This was quite amusing. Defendant, who seems to depend on the kindness (and rent money) of strangers lets some drunk move into a room in her house and then this drunk brings in his squatter g/f and her kid AND their "service dog". At least I think it was dog. These days it could be a service iguana. Everyone needs a service animal now. I wish I had known about this when I had dogs so I could have taken them everywhere with me.

Anyway, P rents a room but when she gets there finds out the room she rented was still occupied by the drunk and his squatting entourage. She gets another room and hauls all her junk into it, only to find out when lights are out there are rats. Def tells her that maybe her rat terrier will scare the rats away. I did visit a friend in Naples and cane rats are quite common there, but I had no problem with them. Whatever. Unfortunately, JM finds out P is a ventriloquist who drags around her hideous dummy and wants to see it. We are subjected to one of the worst acts we've ever seen on this show, and I'm including the "Rapping Rabbi" in that. This dummy was the stuff of nightmares.😮

Def seems more than a little dippy, but P goes too far when she tries to blame Def for the fire ants attacking her doggie. I remember sitting out on my friend's patio in Naples, when a swarm of fire ants appeared. It's no one's fault. Gimme a break. P gets back the money she paid for this Room from Hell, but not the other greedy claims for the ants and the vet bills incurred.

Levin hit a new low (or new high, depending on your POV) today. I know I've often said the stupid blurbs he writes sound like something he recalled from the days of vaudeville, but he actually said, "It's the case of You Dirty Rat." Levin? Not only you sounded like more of a blabbering fool than usual, but really, you should know James Cagney never said that. What were JM and Douglas chatting about? We don't know because that little dirtbag talks over them, repeating what we just heard from the obnoxious former Hall Clown, and adding his own little, stupid, dumb twists to it. Chloroform still has a use.

Oh, I totally forgot until I read SRTouch's post - the FL landlady tells P to lock up everything, because her other tenants "will steal everything that is not nailed down." Yes, that would convince me to rent this place. I'd prefer the four-legged rats any day!

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 7
18 hours ago, AZChristian said:

When Douglas said something like, "This is a first for me" (referring to swearing in Katy Doll), I said to the TV:  "This is nothing new, Douglas.  You swear in dummies several times a week."

😆 Yes, and at least this real dummy knew its right hand from its left.

• LOL 4

customer furniture fiasco - P hired master carpenter off the Internet to build her some solid walnut furniture for 5 grand and pays him $2700 deposit - they have a written contract and plenty of texts about what was wanted, including pictures and dimensions - I thought the initial timeline of 3-4 weeks was really pushing it, but doable, so wasn't surprised to hear D didn't have it ready - but lordy! 4-5 MONTHS go by and he still doesn't have the first piece completed (promised a living room set of 5 pieces) - after ghosting for awhile, he finally sends an email saying he can't complete the job, wants to keep the money and she can have 1 piece, a coffee table, which he should have done in a week (we never see the completed coffee table)....... solid walnut is way above anything I ever made, but I have made some decent cabinets/stuff with cabinet grade mahogany plywood - my guess is dude needed specialized tools (planer/joiner/biscuit joiner etc to make planks and maybe screwed up the wood trying to do without - don't know, just guessing,  but intro said he was out 2 grand for the wood and he might have messed up gluing or maybe the finish and didn't have 2 grand to replace the wood)....... anyway, MM is not buying his unilateral contract revision where he wants to  give P a coffee table and keep her full deposit - P awarded her full deposit......... I wonder if he could have gotten some credit had he offered the completed table and a stack of usable lumber, but his offer was 1 piece of furniture for $2700........ 

landlord/tenant dispute with some a covid twist - P is a landlord upset who decides to sell the property - seems there's also a kitty dispute - Tenant says he had a cat all along, and now Landlord want's kitty gone - seems tenant did some damage and he wants a couple months rent - P wants a little under a grand....... tenant says when Landlord decided to sell he started bringing crowds of unmasked potential buyers (this was March, 2020) - tenant says he was there 8 years with his cat....... P starts out by saying cat has only been there a year......... oops, dude not going to win points with me dishing on kitty as I've been there and ended up moving when a new owner told me to get rid of my cats - that's when I stopped rented and bought my trailer........ ok, though, according to P when he learned of the cat at resigning of lease he warned guy pets needed to be approved and I suspect maybe a pet deposit was needed - says D agreed, but secretly kept kitty........  ah, but potential buyers spotted kitty and noted D had a no-pet lease, which of course makes seller look bad as buyers wonder what else may be hidden......... sooooooo landlord goes back and reiterates if he keeps cat there needs to be a pet deposit and higher rent (an extra $100 a month?) - says D decided he was moving get out at months end......... over to D to see what he has to say - doesn't look good as he was obviously not living up to lease, and the lease he signed allows for 2 months rent being charged as a fee for breaking the lease - which he did with a few days notice........ ok, D seems to think Landlord owed him a duty to warn him of the upcoming sale of the property, but in my experience complex owners really don't always want tenants to know - anyway, realtor really pushing getting the sale done with lots of showings, nobody masked (this was March - early in covid where we thought the virus was HIGHLY contagious and able to survive on surfaces for days), stress of losing job because of shutdown etc - oh, and we learn D is in high risk because of COPD....... uh oh, and it appears D let realtor show buyers apartment for weeks before raiding his preexisting condition and wanting to halt the showings - and THIS was when P first raises cat issue and says he wants a $200 pet deposit plus $100 a month rent increase - so either get rid of cat or pay up within 48 hours........... this would be WAY out of line here in SW OKLAHOMA, but not sure what things rent for in Treasure Island, Florida.........  I thinking this was borderline constructive eviction and/or extortion and D would have been within his rights to hold out for housing court and continue paying at old rate.......... MM agrees - D was in violation of the lease, but Landlord can't arbitrarily slap him with big rent increase or enforce this 2 month fee for breaking the lease......... she also isn't happy with landlord just cutting communication after issuing his ultimatum......... oh, the sale of the property had already fallen through because the buyers pulled out because of covid, so there was no hurry to do anything about the cat that had already been on site for 7 years, yet P issued his 48 hours deadline then stopped answering texts/phone calls........ok,  coming at it both as one time renter and a landlord, thought at first P might have had a case - nope, nuh huh, this was an inside/outside cat that P knew about and for whatever reason is claiming it was a brand new arrival............. as I said, MM points out D could have refused to pay the increase and stayed and just thumbed his nose at the landlord until eviction moratorium ends.........

oh, and when I went through this as I tenant I was able to show I had the cats before the complex sold. I talked to a guy at free legal aid at Post Housing, and all of a sudden my clowder were grandfathered into my lease without charge - though when it came time for renewal I did have to pay pet deposits - then the next year he decided to require declawing and only 3 cats where I had 5 - i could gave fought the declawing, but by local ordinance we're limited to 3 cats...... so I gave notice and ended up moving - I now have 6 cats in defiance of city ordinance 😼😺😻😾😻😽 - but no landlord

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 6

So on the new case of the custom furniture build, they want a TV stand, record player stand, two end tables, and a coffee table for $5575?    That's over $1,000 for each piece!      And then there is no specific date in the contract.     

Furniture was two months late.  Carpenter says family emergency.     Nothing arrived when the furniture was over three months late.   The plaintiff paid $2700+ deposit, and then carpenter wanted to give her the coffee table for the $2700+, and was after six months.   Carpenter said his custom furniture is usually $4,000 each piece.    Plaintiff will get her $2787 back.  

Then an eight year tenant is being sued by the landlord for bad behavior, and breaking the lease (he had a cat, not approved by landlord).    Then a couple of months later plaintiff put place up for sale, and a touring buyer said the cat was still in tenant's apartment.    Defendant refused to sign addendum for pet, or pet deposit, and then claimed he was moving out at the end of the month (3 days notice).   Plaintiff was trying to sell the building with tenants and their lease included.   Since defendant never signed the pet addendum, paid a pet deposit, or pet rent, so the new owner could have evicted him for breach of contract.    I find it interesting that the defendant claims asthma, but then says COPD.     So defendant wins.     Plaintiff should have evicted man when he first found out about the cat, and not waited forever to do it.  

SRT-Thanks for the correction.   That was a very confusing case.   However, the landlord is lucky defendant moved, Florida is so tenant friendly with housing issues, that I bet if tenant wouldn't have moved, then he'd be there forever, never paying rent.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

Oops, dueling recaps again........ just 1 thing to add to CRAZYINALABAMA - in second case I believe tenant was saying HE was a laid off bartender with COPD and his neighbor, Kim(?), had asthma  and was working ftom home, so neither wanted strangers walking through their apartments

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, SRTouch said:

customer furniture fiasco

The chutzpah of the carpenter... oh, I mean "artisan" was off the scales. I thought a price of 5-odd thousand dollars was incredibly and impossibly cheap. Five pieces of custom-made furniture, in WALNUT yet,  but that's the price this experienced master carpenter/artisan quoted. Ooops, he realizes he's in way over his head and probably way over his skill set too, and decides not to abide by his own contract, but tells the plaintiff the pieces are worth 5 times what he quoted her, which is probably more accurate. He just doesn't do the work but decides to keep the 2700$ (the amount of the deposit) for the one piece he could actually handle and says he made after six months! The other pieces were too much work and too complicated for him to figure out. My husband took a little evening woodworking course and consequently made some nightstands, a lovely bookcase, lawn chairs, etc. and he's no "artisan". Frank, you condescending tool,  if a curved edge is way too complex for you, (Hell, even I can use a router, sort of) you might want to go into another line of work. It's not like P requested a replica of "Hannibal Crossing the Alps" carved in walnut!

JM is incensed at his lying and scamming - "Family emergency"? Yeah, that's what they all say and of course he had a bunch of lame excuses.  So incensed was she, as Frank continued to smirk, that in addressing him she shouted, "Mr. Frank Crescente of WOOD VISIONS!" as she addressed him to make sure no one within 300miles of him would ever contact him for work. He's an obnoxious jerk and I hope no one calls him ever again. JM got incensed all over again as she spoke with her hubby. I do love that JM has a real passion for justice and despises those who take advantage of others "just because they can."

Speaking of obnoxious jerks, we got one in the next case. I know it's a business and people have to make money but his underhanded actions towards his tenant who had lived there for more than 7 years and became a personal friend were particularly heartless, considering everyone was and is suffering financially during this pandemic. A special security deposit and an additional 100$/month for a cat? You'd think the def was harbouring a mountain lion instead of that cute little roly-poly kitty in the pics. Of course all that was just an excuse. Landlord wants a break-lease fee of two months rent from a tenant he basically evicted with his demands for money and giving him 48hrs to either pay or "get rid" of the cat, after def says he doesn't want streams of strangers roaming through his place. Masks were not mandatory or even suggested back then, but I certainly wouldn't have wanted all those people in my house either. Oh, but def? Landlord was not obligated to inform you about his plans to sell the place and the "it's not my cat"? Yeah, I've tried that too, saying it's not my cat when everyone but me knew it was. 😏

• Love 4
1 hour ago, SRTouch said:

and THIS was when P first raises cat issue and says he wants a $200 pet deposit plus $100 a month rent increase - so either get rid of cat or pay up within 48 hours........... this would be WAY out of line here in SW OKLAHOMA, but not sure what things rent for in Treasure Island, Florida.........  I thinking this was borderline constructive eviction and/or extortion and D would have been within his rights to hold out for housing court and continue paying at old rate.

Agree!

• Love 3

covid cancellation case: guess we'll be seeing a lot of these cases for awhile - here it's a mother of the bride suing the DJ after State of Florida shut everything down and wedding was canceled (the venue and all the other vendors have already refunded their deposits). Only possible new thing in this case is that DJ intro claims contract has clause saying no refunds for any reason - riots, fire, hurricaine or act of God isn't enough to ask for money back - but they'll perform or get someone else at a rescheduled event. Not sure how that will go over, as I'm pretty sure all the TV judges have already set the precedent that covid cancelled events result in a refund.... ok, P turns out to be best type of customer - not only did she pay the deposit, but she was paying off vendors ahead of contracted schedule because she didn't want a big bill due when wedding took place - also best type of litigant, someone who has a signed contract - so, DJ had been paid in full 2 months before wedding......... setting aside covid issue, we've seen in past cases where someone pays ahead of schedule and most contractor was allowed to keep was amount of the non-refundable deposit.......... ok, simple contract possible complicated by the no refund for any reason clause in the contract........ couple went ahead and had very small ceremony with just immediate family, original wedding had over 600 peolle invited, possible big hoedown sometime in future but nothing scheduled - P checked venue day before filming and it's still closed......... ok over to D - everyone here are Spanish speakers, but D can only get out a couple words without long pause to search for next word - and he wants to go back in time to 2002? - ok, this actually has relevance since he came from Venezuela at time when martial law was declared - his business was hurt because he had to return deposits which is why his current contracts are written with the NO-WAY NO REFUND clause......... ok, MM now looking for how contract is actually worded (dude says he had it written by a lawyer)............ ok, guy has my sympathy, but not sure if that is enough to keep money for a service never performed because the State has banned it........... way contract is written, according to MM, he wouldn't have to return money if event could be moved and someone else could provide the service - except the whole State is shutdown and there is nowhere in the State where 600 people can gather for an even (except for a Trump rally) ......... next D has a close reread of contract - really wants to claim notice came too late, but actually P gave 39 daydays and contract says no refund within 30 days - seems like D lost something in translation as what contract says in English is not what he thought - in fact, lawyer who wrote his contract goofed big time as what it says makes no sense to da'Judge.......... nope, D not looking good here...... P getting money back......... D gets free legal advice on rewriting his contract......... 

case over septic system P says he was hired to evaluate D septic system to see if it would handle an addition and now D won't pay what they owe - wants $500......... D says they were given a $300 estimate, so they aren't paying $800 (500 more)......... should be simple contract case but becomes very confusing get as nobody can tell a straight story - not going to going out back and try to correct numbers, but they don't make any sense until the end.......... ah, but of course there is no written contract - according to P, who I find believable, he told D he would need to rent equipment/camera for the day which would cost $300 and would charge $50 an hour labor (I have no idea how long something lIke this would take but guessing it would be a 2 man job)........ according to P, when he showed up to do job  (after renting equipment) D tried to cancel and then renegotiate the price - but dude's numbers don't add up to what I thought I heard since him just say and MM confirmed, that the renegotiated labor was to be kept to 300 labor which would mean total for job would be $600 - oh, and he says when he did estimate he quoted 4 hours estimated labor which would add up to $700 not the $800 he now claims was owed......... over to D who insists the quote was $300, never anything about a $300 rental plus labor - that could be selective memory at work, I wonder if P has receipt for rental because, like MM says, noway would P agree to a renegotiated price of $300 if he is already out of pocket that already mount before starting.......... oh, whoa! according to D when P showed up he was told they had hired someone else who already did job, and supposedly they submitted paperwork to court showing work had already been done by this someone else - sounds like maybe expensive lesson for P to start writing contracts and now doing jobs without a signed contract - ah, seems like this whole septic evaluation was a code requirement, and the code enforcement required person doing evaluation to be licensed, which P is not, which is why someone else was hired........ ah ah but P tells MM he IS LICENSED so now MM needs to check that - but I'm thinking there was obviously never a meeting of minds - both sides agree at one point D canceled contract - P says they renegotiated price (yet his new price is higher than estimate?) And D says he already had job done by someone else who IS licensed....... now question is why did D let P do job if they had canceled  (I'm confused about when the second guy is supposed to have done work, since I thought D wife admitted renegotiating price, but also thought I heard that job had been completed before P arrived) - D wifey says big kerfuffle with P insisting he do job since he had rented equipment, to which MM asks if D called police to remove him from property........ both sides have holes in story, confusing math from P and  D just plain confusing timeline - hopefully the paperwork MM was provided answers the questions........ ok, time for some fact finding by MM - D admits he canceled via voice mail and never actually talked to P (to me that equates to never canceled and owes for rental and possibly labor for part of day).......... so, stepping back, D never officially canceled job, and agrees P did job but say P did it after being told not to - uh, I'm thinking like MM, kinda D of doubting P and helper spent hours messing around measuring inside of septic tank for giggles....... still, don't sounds convincing when she admits to saying she agreed to let him do job if he did it for $300 - we learn rental was actually $200 - still don't think they had meeting of minds, but I'm now thinking  D never agreed to pay more than $300........ wonder if D can prove they hire someone else to do job - yes, eventually we learn someone else was hired and able to make report (without a camera)........... well, here's one question answered - D have been saying they paid $300 and now say they mailed it, but P says when letter came there was no check - so now P's math makes  sense, he's not asking for a total of $800 ($500 more plus $300 already received), no he wants a total of $500 (200 for  rental and 300 labor) - I can see the miscommunication, but who eats the labor cost (still think D should pay rental - though dude might have gotten discount if he could convince rental place he didn't use camera) - also, P never actually provided the service because he wouldn't give D a report until he was paid......... new element - P says septic failed, says D asked him to pass it anyway and he refused - and of course D denies anything such event.......... it's a rough justice decision based on credibility - After going back and forth, I'm leaning towards P on credibility, but he's the professional and he should have responsibility to have a clear contract........ Close call, but now I believe on morning of job P agreed to accept  renegotiated $500 - his story now makes sense while D story doesn't........ MM comes to same conclusion - P gets $500....... in hallterview D now saying he learned P was unlicensed after the to act - which throws out to a the whole reason he says he canceled contract.......... P's final word is yes he is icensed, and I wonder if their county is like mine, where they have an old list of approved contractors with several addendums/amendments and maybe D was just looking at an old list that hadn't been updated - here, what would happen in case like this is when P turned in report he would provide certified copies of license, but then in case he never turned in report

Harvey actually answered frequently asked question...... when litigants appear they sign binding arbitration agreement, so when losers leave saying they're going to refile they're just blowing smoke - there is no appeal or refiling

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 5

covid cancellation case: 

I think JM should have been a little harder on Plantiff when she kept on yapping after it had become clear that the ruling was going her way; I guess she wanted to show the world she had really done her research. Perhaps Defendant can sue the lawyer for such a poorly worded contract.

case over septic system 

I can't believe there are still professional contractors who engage on such projects without at least a confirmation of the basic parameters of the agreement; no need for an extensive contract in a case like this, just an exchange of e-mails or even texts would suffice. They leave themselves vulnerable to lying weasels like the two defendants; thankfully they are clusmy liars and JM quickly caught them being untruthful.

Harvey actually answered frequently asked question.

That is what we generally assumed (and what the small print in the credits say I believe), but of course many of these litigants do not even bother reading what they sign, and would not be able to understand it even if they did.

• Love 4

I found the septic case defendants to be absolute liars, and I hope the county officials saw this court case.     I bet they found someone who was cheaper, and was willing to sign their permit letter saying the septic will support the additional sewage load.     When it turns out that the septic tank won't support that load, then the s$*% will literally hit the fan, and the floor, and flood the place.     Another homeowner that contracts for something, and then tries to cheat the provider.  I bet when the inevitable sewage issues happen, that the insurance company will call the plaintiff to testify against the defendants.  

The plaintiffs can't even get their stories straight, and the cancelled/didn't cancel, and 'he forced us to use his services' is so much doo doo.  

When I had to get my septic pumped and inspected (you have to do it a year before sale or the certificate expires), I went to the place with the best reputation, that was licensed and bonded.    THey weren't the cheapest, but I had every confidence that the septic system was performing properly.      

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

covid cancellation case: 

Six HUNDRED guests? How many of you even know 600 people? I don't think I've known that many people in my whole life in the country where I was born and raised. Was mom just picking names from the phonebook so her daughter wouldn't feel her wedding would be in any way inferior to that of some celebrity or royalty?

56 minutes ago, Florinaldo said:

I think JM should have been a little harder on Plantiff when she kept on yapping after it had become clear that the ruling was going her way

No kidding! We had to hear P blabbering on and on about something she read in some book she bought, while JM smiles indulgently? STFU, lady. Annoying in the extreme. Just be grateful you got all your money back, after you were stupid enough to pay in full way before the service was expected. Your daughter, Cinderella, will just have to get over it. Life goes on and she can have her mammoth party at a future date, if she's still married by then.

21 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I found the septic case defendants to be absolute liars

I thought so too, but all this could have been avoided had plaintiff, yet another very mature businessman who thinks, "We don't need no stinkin' contracts" had done it the right way.  "He drove over our LAWN!" Big-mouthed wifey doesn't have the authority to deal with P, but must call The BIg Man to get the word from him. Yeah, as if they would have given a damn if he was "licensed and unincorporated" had the price been right. Also, I would never EVER hire a contractor by the hour.  That's just dumb.

Little dirtbag Levin really loved this case and just LOVED saying "Stinky" since he said it at least 3 times. I guess he has some kind of fetish which does not surprise me at all. 

• Love 5

In the party case/DJ I bet the 600 guests were only the woman's guests, and I bet the other side was lucky to get any invitations.   I bet the plaintiff invited every person who ever invited her or her kid to a Quinceanera, Wedding, or any other event, plus her entire church membership, and anyone else she thought would shell out for a gift.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

three case day with a late start since I was off voting this morning (only had to wait 55 minutes and lovely sunny weather - so glad it wasn't last week when we had ice and wind

Disappearing ATM P owned an ATM that was inside D's business (a bar) - when various went belly up the ATM disappeared and P wants the value of ghe machine - $2500........ D has totally different story - he says the Fire Marshall ordered the machine removed because it was blocking access to bathrooms - says he called P to remove it, two uniformed guys showed up with keys to machine and hauled it away - wants to know who would bother to steal an empty ATM......... should be very simple - surely bar owner kept signed copies of the work order from the guys who hauled away the machine even if he can't produce texts emails asking for machine to be moved when Fire Marshall wrote him up along with the inspection results from the Fire Department......... ok, another small business closed by covid - D opened his bar early March, and State shut him down 7 days after the grand opening 😤............ P also new in business - this was only his second machine and it was never stocked with money - location was approved by both, so they share blame for any Fire Marshall violation............  once MM starts going through texts story changes - bar never opened, and P texting a couple months asking for status and D ghosting him - when D finally answers he acts like machine was never installed, he knows nothing about any ATM - when he admits to knowing about machine he is 'working on' what he's going to do about the missing machine......... uh, seems simple, he either needs to produce the thing or pay to replace it......... text stream asking for proof of ownership and receipt from when P purchased it - provided - weeks go by and D just stringing P along............. over to D, but not sure what he can say as his texts have pretty much sunk the defense as stated in intro - now we get the story about two guys coming to pick it up - if true WTH is with the ghosting and texts? (Oh, and of course he tries the tried and true - but never successful - he has a new phone excuse so couldn'the call P).......... this looks to be MM going to spank and humiliate flagrant liar liar until she makes him pay......... oh, he says he had video of the 'two black gentlemen' who took the machine, but he didn't think to bring the video to show Judge....... ok, no defense that makes any sort of sense......... P gets paid, and D whines about unfair judge........

landlord/tenant fight over unlicensed worked who caused fire damaging 24 condos P was a long time tenant of 10 years - says there was a plumbing issue and the condo owner sent over a plumber who caused a big fire - then when condo association gets involved it turns out plumber was unlicensed - owner wants P to fib and cover for unlicensed worker, and she refuses - P moved out, but owner holding on to $1800 of her money....... intro for D has nothing about a plumber or fire, it's all about how P tried to block the sale of the property and a claim that P trashed the place when she finally left - she has countersuit terse it for 3 grand because of a missed sale......... another case that should be easy with a Fire Marshall report showing damage and forced evacuation of 24 units, so expect usual intro nonsense............ not surprising, not nearly as simple as intro would make it seem - quickly becomes more like D says than big fire driving P out (nobody mentions fire in testimony)..... P something of a problem tenant, but D didn't move to evict even though this was only a 30 day rental agreement - course not, buyers prefer buying a place already rented out if they'received buying rental property......... ok, deposit was $900, but P wants double - certainly sounds like issue had more to do with P wanting to stay than any Fire forcing her out, this is regular old fight over deposit........ D actually sounds like she tried to work with P - she started warning tenant a year out that she may have to sell due to health and cutting back on things, offered to sell to tenant when she expressed interest in buying, and finally, went P couldn't buy or find a buyer willing to let her stay, landlord started process for selling place.......... ok, MM going to jump ahead to highly speculative $3000 lost when D sold - counterclaim based on what might have been if she sold earlier, and of course that doesn't fly with MM........ ok, certainly sounds like there was ample evidence to not return the deposit because of damages after seeing pix from landlord - rough justice - MM look so at pix and says damage over and above the $900 deposit (there goes tenants case)........... nobody gets anything

Another covid rental case P put down a deposit on Jersey Shore beach house (Long Beach Island) for 1 week, but changed her mind about taking place due to covid - she wants return of $2525....... this isn't like most of the other covid cases - in this case, P could have gone ahead and rented the beach house, and the beaches never actually closed - also, they went back and forth with each other for awhile before P finally decided not to rent - D then started advertising again and eventually found a renter at at discounted price........... we'll see, my first thought is wanting to know how much, if anything, D lost when she put place back on market - also, the covid may have (probably) lowered the rental value, so who eats that loss....... (first, I agree with P about canceling her vacation plans, and D has a long way to convince me P owes)....... when P canceled beaches were closed except to locals, even though D was saying the closure would be lifted before the rental - P did the responsible thing and called off the all girls week/birthday vacation....... ah, but MM sort of does a switcheroo on me when she decides that since D was correct and beach did open, this was not a case of the state shutting things down, but of the P deciding not to risk it - probably a wise choice, but not one D has to pay for........ P doesn't get deposit refunded, and MM wants to see D costs/losses which came from renting at discount to verify sure D isn't getting more than she would have from renting to P  (course D doesn't have it with her, so MM tells her she'll have to provide it before decision is final)....... 

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 5

I'm wondering if the ATM was repo'd by a finance company, and the bar owner, and ATM owner decided to make some money back by coming on the show?   

I remember when NYC shut down, and places like the Jersey shore were horrified at how many people went flocking to vacation homes, potentially overwhelming the groceries, hospitals, etc.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, SRTouch said:

Disappearing ATM

Plaintiff seems like a nice, smart guy and I guess it's "live and learn" so in future he won't go into any business with some shady character advertising on FB. As always, I love when someone who does need to drum up business partners on some janky social media says things like, "My lawyer" and "Our attorneys". Who is "our"? Got a frog in your pocket? I'm sure someone like D who tells a different story each time he's asked to explain, has a law firm on retainer. He just figured he'd sell the 2500$ ATM (and I bet he even advertised it on FB or CL) and that P, who is very young and inexperienced, would just go away if D ignored his texts long enough. What a creep and a liar. Oh, well - yes he had video of some guys who came to pick up the ATM but he didn't think he'd need it here. Apologies! To the plaintiff: You're very young. Go back to school and get into some field where you won't be dealing with FB crooks. 

P was a long time tenant 9f 10 years

I heard nothing about a fire damaging all the units? Did the Levin Troll mention it and I muted and FF'd it? Did I miss it during the case?

P doesn't get deposit refunded, and MM wants to see D costs/losses which came from renting at discount to verify sure D isn't getting more than she would have from renting to P  (course D doesn't have it with her, so MM tells her she'll have to provide it before decision is final)....... 

"I don't have it with me". How does this fly when people are sitting in their homes with access to all their stuff? It's bad enough when they say that when they are actually in court. This always makes them look suspicious. Did we find out if she ever provided the new rental agreement so she won't be unjustly enriched with someone else's money?

BTW, I enjoyed JJ's story about the exploded whale and JM's shock that this is the first time she's hearing this story. I bet later she wanted to know what else he hasn't told her. 😄

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 5

The exploding whale case is a classic.  It's actually a recognized way to get rid of a dead whale carcass, however they used way too much explosive.     It ended with people running for their lives, lots of falling blubber damage, and before reading or watching, hit the bathroom to avoid wetting your pants:

https://www.opb.org/artsandlife/series/history/florence-oregon-whale-explosion-history/

https://www.oregonencyclopedia.org/articles/florence_whale_explosion/#.X6H9CYhKjIU

The state of Oregon decided after this to bury carcasses.   

How does Judge John forget to mention another claim to fame he has?   The exploding whale incident is legendary.    I also wonder what else he forgot to mention?     

The fence case rerun this morning is the woman who was going to start a day care, and then changed her mind, and wanted a refund.   This is not the wooden privacy fence case.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

It ended with people running for their lives, lots of falling blubber damage

People who thought such a sad spectacle might be entertaining and gathered to watch deserved whatever they got. Too bad for everyone who was not there and just minding their own business though.

• Love 1

bad breakup: p says when she broke up with ex-bf, he kicked her to curb - when she went back yo retrieve her stuff he smashed her leg with car door before hitting her car with a pipe and breaking her mirror - wants a couple hundred for the mirror......... D relying on a self defense theory - says P has been violent in past, so when she reached for glove compartment he slammed the door and broke the mirror to distract her so he could get away....... nah, not very interested - sometimes these cases are fun because of crazy sh*t litigants say, but it's just hard listening to P try to put words together......... ok, big kerfuffle (over another woman of course) ends with cops called - she says she agreed not to press charges if he paid for mirror - he hasn't paid, so we're here listening to this......... testimony changes mirror to a car window........ over to D, who learned grammar at same school as P........... right off I'm not sure why MM doesn't ask him to take off his hat....... basic story similar, except he was at work when he received text saying she was going to his place to get her stuff and would trash stuff if he didn't come let her inside.......... he's telling how she threw food on his front porch, he even has a pic of the mess, just not here for judge to see cuz it's on his other phone....... ok, thinking of zipping through this one soon - P should have police report backing her story, but so far MM hasnt asked for it - where D should have the text and pic backing his tale, but guess that's one that other phone......... dude admits hitting window - and then MM wants to air dirty laundry about the loving couple's past dust ups which resulted in orders of protection which these two apparently ignore whenever they decide to make up - if D is to be believed, he has had an order for 5 years - this will not make MM happy, but D apparently misses that small fact......... D really in love with sound of his voice and the story he's telling - not sure where this will end up - if there really is a protective order they both regularly violate it and P's story of dropping charges in exchange for promise to pay seems unlikely because she could have been locked up for even going to his house........ oops, did dude running off mouth so much mean he inadvertently screw up his story - earlier she supposedly threw food on his porch, but just now he gave away the food - either food comes into his story in multiple incidents or he doesn't remember what he said earlier........ now, I not only want MM to tell dude to take off the hat, but he deserves a spanking for talking over her........... ok, now it wasn't food she threw, but a bottle of "fragance", which is when he ran out to her car, slammed door on her and smacked her window - well, except MM is back to saying he hit her mirror............ ok, food, fragrance, window or mirror - i over this one - neither of these two have cleans hands, mirrow/window would never have been hit if P hadn't gone over and caused kerfuffle - I say send them on their way........ only problem with that is that during his rambling D admits reason he grabbed a pipe and hit her car is that he was pissed cuz she threw whatever it was she threw............ ok, neat thing is that when cops arriver and interviews these two lovebirds, he has a bodycam and we get to hear D admits he broke the MIRROR in anger, not self defense........ other thing, both these two talk about being at work when they decide to leave the job to meet up and have their kerfuffle......... not sure if P deserves it, but MM decides D owes for mirror - $180

landlord/tenant: landlord suing extent over damage after move out - $829 on top of $400 deposit......... D denies doing the damage - seems tenant was there 6 years, and most of the damage claim deals with stinky cigarette smoke and D says he didn't smoke inside......... this is another long term tenant who moves out because owner decided to sell - apparently this guy wasn't forced out, he was a month to month tenant and left voluntarily when told place was going on market...... sort of sounds like landlord wanted to sell as an investment property with a tenant in place, and tenant screwed the plan by leaving - which meant place suddenly needed maintenance to satisfy buyer and P wants D to foot renovation........ oh, and according to D the $400 deposit went to P in exchange for the washer & which he wanted to keep.......... so, according to P, the first time she went into the place in 6 years was after D vacated the trailer........ ok, P has before & after pix - we'really really talking less than $830 in damages, so question becomes normal wear and tear or excessive - totally buy P claim that she had to prime and paint multiple times if guy was smoking in trailer for 6 years as indicated by pix - despite D claiming they were friends, or at least friendly accounting to P, they must have had a falling out when he moved out. Now D acts like he doesn't know P hubby name, and is sort of huffy about saying P demanded key back before he was finished cleaning (doesn't come out in testimony, but we learn in hallterview that they didn't ask for key until 2 days past end of tenancy)........ nice before pictures....... oh my, looking at after pix - forget D claim to never smoke inside - I used to do cleaning and painting when remnants moved out of apartments and I see obvious tar/nicotine/smoke coating everything,  but burn marks from cigarettes on linoleum floors - all kinds of moulding damage on walls - besides being dirty and needing a thorough cleaning, this is over and above normal wear, and their claim actually seems reasonable - part of what kept cost down was that P did the work themselves rather than contracting it out....... MM seems to think there was enough damage that she would have let them keep more........ P gets the $829

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 4

I hate the dueling restraining order people.   Then they finally break up after the mirror bashing, and she's off to fiance #2 a couple of months after the fight, and defendant claims plaintiff called him for a booty call the night before the taping.

In the smoking former tenant case, why did he think a shirt in prison orange was a good look for a judge show?    It's amazing how the walls in the trailer have nicotine marks all over them, when defendant claims he only smoked outside. 

I was in staying in a motel for a couple of weeks a few years ago, and one night of a resident smoking cost the motel hundreds to get it cleaned up, so I can't imagine six years of accumulated smoke stench.   

The smoke/nicotine marks in the trailer are really bad, but the burn marks on the linoleum floors are horrible.   I think that's the kind of vinyl floor I used to have, and it's very thick, and hard to damage, but the tenant managed it.   For someone who claims he only smoked outdoors, I guess he's claiming the cigarette butts followed him back inside?   How nice, a landlord who has before and after pictures, and damage pictures.    I wonder what the soot marks came from?   

The furnace filter was obviously never changed.   That is a tenant issue.      The former tenant says they denied him the right to continue cleaning, and he's getting on my last nerve.   I feel sorry for the current landlord of the defendant.  

A tip for anyone trying to rehab a place with nicotine/smoke damages, TPS Boat Cleaner used on every surface.    Probably will take a few cleanings to get it off, but supposedly it works.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5