Type keyword(s) to search

The People's Court - General Discussion

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

She made me sick. Her parents have to raise HER kids, and have to pay for HER car (why can't she and hubby buy their own 3K beater?) yet now the parents are demons to be reviled because they thought that maybe having a third baby when she doesn't care for the others she helped make

Just a personal question I've always had. Why do people / authorities think its a good idea to take kids from unfit parents and hand them over to the grandparents? These grandparents raised the unfit parents. Clearly something was lacking in their parenting skills to have raised such compromised adults.

I see this all time and think, here we go again!

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, Hockeymom said:

Just a personal question I've always had. Why do people / authorities think its a good idea to take kids from unfit parents and hand them over to the grandparents? These grandparents raised the unfit parents. Clearly something was lacking in their parenting skills to have raised such compromised adults.

Because the foster care system is already full of children who have no relatives that can/will take them in.  Plus, the grandparents would rather take the kids in than have them lost in the system.  These looked like sensible people; the fact that the daughter became a heroin addict doesn't mean her parents failed.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Hockeymom said:

Every troubled kid does not come from bad parenting.  Nature vs Nurture is always a question.  I have good kids but I have watched good parenting where the results are not always in keeping.  Genetic disposition is afoot when it comes to addiction for one thing.  Parenting cannot alter genes.

And yes, foster care is to be avoided at all costs!   

• Love 3
4 hours ago, AZChristian said:

These looked like sensible people;

Not so much this case specifically, but in general. I understand the system is overflowing. I completely understand that anyone can fall prey to addiction, and that it's not a reflection on their upbringing.

But sometimes, the cycle of bad parenting just continues. When you have adult children making bad decisions and poor life choices, it begs the question "Don't they know any better?", and if not, why?

When I became a mom, I was convinced we were doing everything wrong. I didn't want to fall back on what was familiar, because I knew there were flaws in that system. Neither my husband or myself wanted to make the same mistakes our parents did. I became super aware of other parents - what they did, how they did it, and if it worked. I read every book, took every class, and did my homework. We kept what made sense, and ditched the rest.

So maybe I'm just more observant of other families because I'm always checking to see how we're doing.

I have seen this cycle firsthand. Several times. Clueless parents raise troubled kids, who turn around and become inept parents themselves. They lose custody and hand the kids back to the grandparents. The grandparents may be older, but if they haven't learned new skills, we're right back on a sinking ship.

I worked with a girl who had two little ones. Not married. Not dating either of the fathers. At the time, I was finally single and greatly enjoying my freedom. She was right there with me. Out every night. Drinking, dancing, straggling home at all hours. So of course the kids started acting up. They wanted her attention. They wanted their own bed, their own toys, their own family. Not being shuttled to different grandparents and babysitters so she could go play. Instead of attention, they got a spanked. Her favorite expression was "I'm gonna beat your ass for you!" Instead of staying in and creating a stable home, she created out of control little monsters. She never did get it, and the little monsters grew into big, surly monsters, who looked for attention from anyone who would give it. Of course they got it in all the wrong ways. One ended up incarcerated, and the other pregnant in high school.

She ended up taking the baby so her daughter could finish school, but never stopped bitching about how unfair it all was. She would make the kid call her by her first name so potential boyfriends wouldn't know she was old enough to be a grandmother. Still putting her own needs first.  Just sad all around.

If she had spent a fraction of the time taking care of her kids, as she did acting like one, things would have ended differently. Would they have become happy, successful adults? Who knows, but they never really had the guidance they needed. The adults in their lives behaved like selfish brats. This woman's own mother had had a revolving door of men. There was a new "daddy" every month! Of course every story isn't the same. I know that. I just question the wisdom of placing children with grandparents who may need some help themselves.

Edited by Hockeymom
spelling error
  • Love 2

Aw, the "poor dry cleaner", trying to mansplain women's undergarments to JM in a case where a wedding dress shrank enough to leave a 5" gap across the back. Dresses do not magically shrink without some outside influence, and the only influence around here is you, dude.

Just now, Jamoche said:

Aw, the "poor dry cleaner", trying to mansplain women's undergarments to JM in a case where a wedding dress shrank enough to leave a 5" gap across the back. Dresses do not magically shrink without some outside influence, and the only influence around here is you, dude.

The dress shrunk for a couple of reasons. First, the plaintiff gained weight. She admitted as much. Second, for all that it was a nine thousand dollar Vera Wang, it didn't dry clean well. The bridal salon expected this, and made her sign a waiver absolving them, and the designer, of liability in the case of damage. She knew walking out the door of the shop, there might be a problem. That would have been a giant clue that this dress was a bad investment.

The bride beat the gown to death. It was filthy. She wanted him to make it good as new, and it shredded in the process. It's not the dry cleaner's fault. A garment that costs as much as a car should be made of better stuff. Maybe that's why Vera Wang can be found at Kohl's these days. Not quite the prestige brand it used to be.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, Hockeymom said:

The dress shrunk for a couple of reasons. First, the plaintiff gained weight. She admitted as much. Second, for all that it was a nine thousand dollar Vera Wang, it didn't dry clean well. The bridal salon expected this, and made her sign a waiver absolving them, and the designer, of liability in the case of damage. She knew walking out the door of the shop, there might be a problem. That would have been a giant clue that this dress was a bad investment.

The bride beat the gown to death. It was filthy. She wanted him to make it good as new, and it shredded in the process. It's not the dry cleaner's fault. A garment that costs as much as a car should be made of better stuff. Maybe that's why Vera Wang can be found at Kohl's these days. Not quite the prestige brand it used to be.

The dry cleaner should've stuck to the line that the dress just wasn't dry cleanable; when he tried to say that it didn't shrink, she only fit into it before because she'd been wearing different underclothes that took 5 inches off her chest - yeah, right.

But she was wearing different undergarments. This was a strapless gown. On her wedding day, she would have been wearing different underwear than she was wearing to court. A corset will definitely suck you in!

And she did gain weight. Not a great amount, but ten or twenty pounds can make a huge difference in a custom tailored gown. This was months after the wedding.

Yes, it was a big gap. But it was just one in a myriad of problems. The dress shredded.

Even if it did shrink, poor quality in the dress is not the dry cleaner's fault. Any recourse she may have had with the manufacturer was forfeit when she signed the waiver. I have been married twice and been in numerous weddings. Never once have I been asked to sign a waiver. Never have I had a problem with dry cleaning. It's a little suspicious that she was asked to sign a waver on the very dress that shredded.

Now weight gain, that's a different story...

• Love 1

Seems I got different reruns today. I had the woman who hired the goofball painter to paint the place she and her husband and two kids were moving into. He stood on the bed to paint the ceiling and splashed paint everywhere - floors, trim, sheets, furniture. Plaintiff paid him only 600$, but she's suing for 3000$. Apparently it took her 37 hours to clean latex paint off where it splashed. Yeah, sure. I think she was just looking for a big boe-nanza so maybe she and hubby could move into a place that has more than one bedroom for four people.

Then I got the idiot with such a limited vocabulary he said his car's radiator was "pissing" fluid all over. What a dim-witted, thick-headed dope.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Seems I got different reruns today. I had the woman who hired the goofball painter to paint the place she and her husband and two kids were moving into. He stood on the bed to paint the ceiling and splashed paint everywhere - floors, trim, sheets, furniture. Plaintiff paid him only 600$, but she's suing for 3000$. Apparently it took her 37 hours to clean latex paint off where it splashed. Yeah, sure. I think she was just looking for a big boe-nanza so maybe she and hubby could move into a place that has more than one bedroom for four people.

Then I got the idiot with such a limited vocabulary he said his car's radiator was "pissing" fluid all over. What a dim-witted, thick-headed dope.

I got this episode too.  The painter guy had a weird smile on his face.

• Love 2

I loved the mechanic who had never tied a tie before.  He knew that he needed to wear a tie to court and looked pretty snazzy, once Doug fixed his tie.

I thought for a while about whether the contractor would have called the woman with the bulging ceiling a "bottom-feeder" if she had been white, and decided not.  I think JM was subtly calling him on that too.

• Love 2
On 3/22/2017 at 2:05 PM, AngelaHunter said:

Of course her grandchildren live with her. When do we ever see people of grandparent age here who aren't saddled with another set of kids to raise? Reminds me of something I read awhile ago. Couple is talking: "We better hurry up and have kids while our parents are still young enough to take care of them."

I moved my parents into a gated mobile home retirement community that only allows people over 55 to live there. They kept letting my drug-addicted nephew stay with them, and the last time he stole from them for his habit I said I was finished with him and the BS. We found them a nice trailer in a beautiful community with swimming pools, bike trails, a gym, and a clubhouse. They couldn't be happier, and I have peace of mind knowing they can't let him stay with them, even if they want to! It's easier for them too because they now have a legal reason to tell him no, and he doesn't even know where they live now.

On 3/23/2017 at 7:36 AM, wings707 said:

Every troubled kid does not come from bad parenting.  Nature vs Nurture is always a question.  I have good kids but I have watched good parenting where the results are not always in keeping.  Genetic disposition is afoot when it comes to addiction for one thing.  Parenting cannot alter genes.

And yes, foster care is to be avoided at all costs!   

I agree: bad parenting isn't always the culprit. My sister raised six kids. One of them is a screw-up, but the rest of them are fine. Even the screw-up is a nice kid when he's clean. However, the addiction makes him do shitty things. He's done shady stuff to everyone in the family, so he has no one to turn to now because we've all been burned by him. I miss him dearly and wish he'd get his life straight, but I have no trust left.

2 hours ago, quarkuud said:

I thought for a while about whether the contractor would have called the woman with the bulging ceiling a "bottom-feeder" if she had been white, and decided not.  I think JM was subtly calling him on that too.

I noticed that as well. It's sometimes hard for me to explain to non-minorities the microaggressions I notice immediately. I was watching a crime show last night on my favorite channel, ID, and they were talking about a black guy who "clearly looked out of place in the grocery store." I grit my teeth and move on, but I'd be lying if I said statements like that didn't bother me. And don't get me started on clerks who make a tenth of what I earn following me around stores like I'm going to steal something. There are at least a dozen stores I don't shop in because I refuse to give my money to a business that treats me like a damn criminal. Then there are the hotels that have to confirm multiple times that my girlfriend and I want one king bed and not two queen beds, as if they've never heard of gay people.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, quarkuud said:

I loved the mechanic who had never tied a tie before.  He knew that he needed to wear a tie to court and looked pretty snazzy, once Doug fixed his tie.

I have seen both Marilyn and Judy put a razor focus on words white people use to describe a minority litigant and call them on it, each in their individual styles.  They both push to have them explain, make them sweat and finish with a sinister stare.  Bravo, they both are on it.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I thought for a while about whether the contractor would have called the woman with the bulging ceiling a "bottom-feeder" if she had been white,

I think he would have, for the simple reason that he appeared to be an ignorant idiot and I don't think he has a clue what "bottom feeder" even means.

40 minutes ago, teebax said:

I agree: bad parenting isn't always the culprit.

Agree. I'm sick of adults, even into middle age, forever blaming all their fuckups on their parents and refusing to take responsibility for any of their actions. I certainly didn't have a fairy-tale childhood, but my brother and I turned out okay - gainfully employed homeowners, no warrants, no physical altercations, no addictions and no needing to be bailed out of jail. My sister, OTOH, well - she could be one of the more disreputable litigants. Who knows why?

• Love 4

Do we need to see the very worst in the reruns? I know JM thought the denture lady was precious, but I did not. Her daughter was worse, claiming that a "release" meant the dentist would release them from his office (as opposed to tying them up and holding them prisoners?) Personally I never heard of a dentist or doctor refunding money if a patient was not satisfied with treatments. Heads up everyone: If you decide to get talon-like fake nails, do NOT have them painted yellow. That nearly put me off my chicken breast, rice and salad, although not off my wine.

Then we got that silly Mr. Peepers dweeby def who ripped off the taxi driver for 4$ and the taxi driver who thought it was a good idea to pepper spray Mr. Peepers over that 4$. I could have done without that as well.

Finally, John Davis isn't much of a planner, is he? He has no credit, but really wanted a 13 year old Nissan sportscar and got defendant to do work on his behalf to get it for him, but who knew the insurance would be so high? Not Mr. Davis (not his problem to find this out, right?) who realizes he can't afford this vee-hickle and wants ALL his money back for his own screwups.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Do we need to see the very worst in the reruns? I know JM thought the denture lady was precious, but I did not. Her daughter was worse, claiming that a "release" meant the dentist would release them from his office (as opposed to tying them up and holding them prisoners?) Personally I never heard of a dentist or doctor refunding money if a patient was not satisfied with treatments. Heads up everyone: If you decide to get talon-like fake nails, do NOT have them painted yellow. That nearly put me off my chicken breast, rice and salad, although not off my wine.

Then we got that silly Mr. Peepers dweeby def who ripped off the taxi driver for 4$ and the taxi driver who thought it was a good idea to pepper spray Mr. Peepers over that 4$. I could have done without that as well.

Finally, John Davis isn't much of a planner, is he? He has no credit, but really wanted a 13 year old Nissan sportscar and got defendant to do work on his behalf to get it for him, but who knew the insurance would be so high? Not Mr. Davis (not his problem to find this out, right?) who realizes he can't afford this vee-hickle and wants ALL his money back for his own screwups.

I'm glad you suffer through reruns so I don't have to!

• Love 1

The plaintiff: a small, sad, and not so bright elderly black man who met the amazing Gary (AKA "Mr Celine the Dream". I am not kidding) in jail, signed a power of attorney to let Gary's common-law wife sign a check to get $3K bail for Gary. Gary's in jail but he sends a recording. Mrs Gary has the worst memory in history, or is the worst liar in history. She's constantly looking this way and that, the way people do when they're dredging their memory, but trawl as she might nothing comes up. She doesn't remember signing the check. She doesn't remember whether she got the $3K back. Gary's just been in jail so many times. Oh, and Mrs Gary met Gary just outside the jail. She does remember that much.

Should be open-and-shut - she wrote "bail" on the check she doesn't remember signing - but there's a detour into a hip-hop Monopoly game that Gary "did some legal work on" for the plaintiff while they were in jail. JM: "Is he a lawyer?" Of course not.

The audience is cracking up behind her. Bet if they could see her face they'd have an even harder time keeping straight faces, because she's all furrowed-brow frowning away like she can't understand why there's any doubt about her story, which persists into the halterview.

• Love 4

I think it would be great to move downtown close to my job, so I'll take an apartment above a convenience store, across the street from the train station and next door to a bar. No, I didn't see the bar patio about 9" under my bedroom window. In spite my choice to live admidst all this, I expect silence all night long. "Gaping" holes in the wall! Here's some pictures that show no holes of any kind, gaping or otherwise,but take my word for it, they were gaping. The place is infested with mice. No, no proof or pics of that, but my daughter will stand there and lie that she saw mice. Okay, then, if that isn't enough, the invisible gaping holes made my gas bill triple, because 32$ x 3 = 64$. Landlord had an attitude, but I understand why.

Used Mercedes people screeching and yakking and talking over JM with their Archie Bunker accents - go away, both of you. She only drove her used lemon Mercedes when the sun was shining and flowers were just blooming and butterflies were all around. She wouldn't even take it out if there were clouds!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

Okay, then, if that isn't enough, the invisible gaping holes made my gas bill triple, because 32$ x 3 = 64$.

I'm not even sure what gas bills she's comparing, if she was only there 25 days. Her previous apartment? Which could be a different size, be differently insulated - warehouse-chic raw brick doesn't exactly have the highest R-value.

I've known people like her, the kind who think that as long as they say things in a quiet pseudo-apologetic tone, they can say the most outrageous things and you aren't allowed to call them on it.

• Love 4

I will never again denigrate loser creep guys who take money from women. In the first case, plaintiff, who has 3 kids, no baby daddies and lives in a basement apartment, picks up def on a dating site. He is a fugly, obese, repulsive, T-rex-armed, shaved-headed douchnozzle loser with a vile temperament. Despite that, and despite the fact that he starts asking her for money a few months after they start "dating", he has multiple women who want him! He's a catch! She takes money from her retirement fund, instead of using it for the children she brought into the world, and gives it to Romeo so he can fix his hoopty truck. She thinks that a good investment for her money. How this woman could show her face and let millions of people see that she was so desperate she'd take money from her kids and give it to this POS, I'll never know. I'm really sorry JM awarded her anything.

Mr. Bean, the landlord, was really fixing the Norman Bates glare on JM. Hey, the guy is a total hustler, eking out a dollar wherever he can. I don't blame him for that, but he needs to maybe do a little check and find out he can't charge rent on an illegal dwelling.

Shantaye(Sp?) thinks a dent in a car can be fixed for 600$? 'fraid not. I had someone back into me and put the same type of dent in my driver's side door and guess what? It cost 1450$ to fix - well, if you want better methods used than a hammer. Maybe what Shantay should do it is get some damned insurance and register her car. Oh, and not let her 7 - 10 year old gigantic kid have access to the keys. She looked and sounded like a complete fool here.

• Love 5
On 3/29/2017 at 2:06 PM, AngelaHunter said:

I think it would be great to move downtown close to my job, so I'll take an apartment above a convenience store, across the street from the train station and next door to a bar. No, I didn't see the bar patio about 9" under my bedroom window. In spite my choice to live admidst all this, I expect silence all night long. "Gaping" holes in the wall! Here's some pictures that show no holes of any kind, gaping or otherwise,but take my word for it, they were gaping. The place is infested with mice. No, no proof or pics of that, but my daughter will stand there and lie that she saw mice. Okay, then, if that isn't enough, the invisible gaping holes made my gas bill triple, because 32$ x 3 = 64$. Landlord had an attitude, but I understand why.

Used Mercedes people screeching and yakking and talking over JM with their Archie Bunker accents - go away, both of you. She only drove her used lemon Mercedes when the sun was shining and flowers were just blooming and butterflies were all around. She wouldn't even take it out if there were clouds!

I built my house 1 1/2 miles from the Air Force base. I think I'll send the USAF a letter asking them to stop flying their jets because sometimes it's noisy.

• Love 9

I think I'll send the USAF a letter asking them to stop flying their jets because sometimes it's noisy.

teebax, I live near Eglin AFB, a few people just after they move here get that attitude after they buy a house under the flight paths. They get very little sympathy from most people; most of us consider aircraft noise the "sound of freedom" (which is a bumper sticker around here). However, when Eglin started operating F35s, their climb outs were over some neighborhoods that had not heard that level of noise before. Mostly, the people affected asked the AF to look into this and AF modified their flight paths so the highest noise levels were over mostly unpopulated areas. Just about everyone understood that the AF was not required to do this.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, teebax said:

I built my house 1 1/2 miles from the Air Force base. I think I'll send the USAF a letter asking them to stop flying their jets because sometimes it's noisy.

I can't help thinking of all the people in my city who moved into houses directly beneath the take-off and landing paths of an international airport and then continue to bitch about the noise. Who knew planes flying low overhead would make noise? They should only fly when these residents are at work or maybe in mid-afternoon.

• Love 3

Well, since it's a topic of discussion for right now, I also live near a (small) airbase, and over the flight path from their main runway.  We really don't know when or how often we'll have the jets flying overhead during takeoff.  It's annoying.  But those young men and women are going to be protecting us if shit goes down.  So if I see a member of the Air Force, or any other person in the military, I give them my respect and thanks.

• Love 3

I'm married to a military pilot.  The amount of people who call air stations to complain about noise is unreal.  Believe me the Air Stations were there long before their homes.

Ive lived next to enough air fields (and my college was in the flight bath for St Louis airport) that I don't even hear helicopters and airplanes anymore.

• Love 2
(edited)

There was a sign similar to this 20 years ago near the model homes about 5 miles from us when new communities were being built all around the area.  Realtors hated the sign.  The farm is still there.

Capture.GIF

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 8
11 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

There was a sign similar to this 20 years ago near the model homes about 5 miles from us when new communities were being built all around the area.  Realtors hated the sign.  The farm is still there.

Capture.GIF

This? Just made my day!

• Love 3

The best thing for me is when they have the air shows. I can watch from my patio. I'm an Army vet and don't mind the infrequent noise I get at all. The international airport is 3 miles the other way but I'm not on the flight plan. I did my research before i built here. I love being close to both, truth be told. 

Back to the show, when the heck are we getting new episodes? It's been weeks!

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Capture.GIF

At one time I worked for the County running a brushhog cutting down the weeds in the bar ditches along gravel roads. (A brush hog us a biga$$ed mower usually pulled by a farm tractor.) I was a rolling dust storm generator - sometimes dust so bad I could barely see where I was going. Anyway, I once had some woman stop me to complain that I was making too much dust, and the wind was blowing it right to her house, so could I please wait til the wind changed direction. Uh, no lady, I was being paid to mow so many miles a day, and if I waited til the SW Oklahoma wind stopped I wouldn't have a job for very long.

As for the noises from military training/operations... I've lived either on or next to an Army base since '73 - I just don't hear it. 3 of my cats are afraid of thunder and go into hiding when a storm passes through - common occurrence here in SW Oklahoma. But, they've lived next to Ft Sill, Home of the Army's Artillery school, all their lives, and the most artillery gets,  even on those rare times it is really loud, is a look around to make sure it's not thunder.

Edited by SRTouch
Wording changed
  • Love 3

I didn't mind today's re run where the defendant wife/gf got kicked out.  She was an asshole.

i skipped the other one.

Basketball ended today I think from my old NC local news.   Here's hope for new episodes!

So today we needed the rerun of the "Corrupt dollar store Oliver Reed/Santa Claus" 60-year old man who had to pick a hair or something off his tongue while talking to JM? A 60-year old altruistic do-gooder who bought a car for plaintiff's 28-year old drug/alcohol addicted step-daughter (who was just his good buddy) who lost the car after she was involved in a high-speed chase with the police? What a saint Santa is. I can't believe no one told him to button up his friggin' shirt so we didn't have to view his hairy porcine chest. Eww.

1 minute ago, AEMom said:

Now in the 3rd week of reruns.  When are we getting new shows?

Judge Judy was new today. They seem to be on the same schedule, so (fingers crossed) hopefully soon!

• Love 1

Okay, I enjoyed today's repeats, in particular the woman trying to get a boe-nanza/lottery because she tripped and fell on the sidewalk. She was such a liar. She signed a lawyer's letter saying she fractured her hip and today she stands there shaking her head and saying, "No, I didn't. Gee, I don't know how the lawyer came up with that! He must have made it up." Okay, then.  Yeah, she broke her veneers but why should the def. have to pay for them? Sometimes people fall. But keep going from court to court to try and make someone else pay for your misfortune.

I tripped and fell on a heave in the street near me (we don't have sidewalks)two years ago. Yeah, it hurt but it never occured to me that it might be someone else's responsibility.

She couldn't get her hubby to walk with her, and really, if anyone should take up walking it's her husband. Don't see that happening though.

• Love 3

She couldn't get her hubby to walk with her, and really, if anyone should take up walking it's her husband. Don't see that happening though.

I wonder if there was more to the story of why she started walking home alone.

• Love 3
On 4/7/2017 at 5:32 PM, DoctorK said:

I wonder if there was more to the story of why she started walking home alone.

Yeah, me too.

I enjoyed this case also.  I guess for all the talk about millenials lacking personal responsibility plenty of the older generations can't take responsibility for themselves either.

• Love 3
On 4/7/2017 at 2:11 PM, AngelaHunter said:

Okay, I enjoyed today's repeats, in particular the woman trying to get a boe-nanza/lottery because she tripped and fell on the sidewalk. She was such a liar. She signed a lawyer's letter saying she fractured her hip and today she stands there shaking her head and saying, "No, I didn't. Gee, I don't know how the lawyer came up with that! He must have made it up." Okay, then.  Yeah, she broke her veneers but why should the def. have to pay for them? Sometimes people fall. But keep going from court to court to try and make someone else pay for your misfortune.

I tripped and fell on a heave in the street near me (we don't have sidewalks)two years ago. Yeah, it hurt but it never occured to me that it might be someone else's responsibility.

I sat through this one, too, if only because I'm missing my TPC fix. I hope there are new episodes next week! 

You're right; she was a piece of work. Too many people think if something happens it HAS to be someone's fault. Sometimes the fault is just yours. Sometimes no one is at fault. I think plaintiff got huffy about something and decided to walk instead of riding in the car. I don't know if they mentioned her footwear, but I doubt she brought sneakers with her to dinner. In my version, she storms off from dinner. Hubby couldn't care less because she's insufferable. She's wearing shoes (or boots as the song says) that aren't made for walking. She loses her balance and falls on something thousands have walked over with no problem. 

I liked the defendant in the case. She explained how she wasn't hiding and is, in fact, listed in the white pages. TBT, I didn't know we still had white pages. Anyway, anyone with half a brain can search assessor records and find out who owns a property. And the nasty plaintiff clearly lied about her injury to her attorney, which might have contributed to her stupid case getting dropped. That and the fact that there was nothing wrong with the sidewalk.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, teebax said:

In my version, she storms off from dinner. Hubby couldn't care less because she's insufferable. She's wearing shoes (or boots as the song says) that aren't made for walking. She loses her balance and falls on something thousands have walked over with no problem. 

You just know that Tubby Hubby told her, "Ooh! We can get a lot of money for this!" and actually stirred his little stumps to race over with his little measuring tape to prove that def's conditions were so horrendous she needs to pay them thousands of dollars. Plaintiffs seemed articulate and intelligent and actually it bothers me more when someone like them try to put the screws to and scam so they can get some free money. Def was understandably puzzled at their nonsense, but still she has to waste her time over this non-case. I just wish they had to pay her for dragging her to court for this frivolous nonsense. Plaintiff probably fell for the same reason I did: I wasn't watching where I was going.

• Love 5

When I was much younger, I used to wear Famolare wedges.  They used to be very fashionable.  I wore them walking through a rough parking lot, and fell off them (ankle bent over).  It was a severe sprain from which I suffered for quite a while, but I never dreamed of suing the owners of the lot.

• Love 5

HALLELUJA - NEW EPISODE AT LAST!!!

1. moving company scam? Plaintiff hired defendant to move some of his stuff, and says defendant's company messed up his stuff and some stuff is missing. Defendant says he was hired to move SOME stuff, but when movers arrived there was a lot more to move than originally thought. Immediately I'm thinking CONTRACT! Yep, they actually have a signed contract, just can't agree on what it means. Defendant, Vladimir, says he manages a moving company, and plaintiff, Sam, contracted his company to move a few pieces of furniture. They arrive to find Sam wants his whole large 2 br apartment moved - heck they didn't bring enough guys and the truck is too small to get it in one load so they're working half the night. The way Sam tells it, Van just sent some other dude's and wasn't even there. I think MM hits the nail on the head when she jokes that the only reason Sam, dude with thick accent, hired Vad, a black guy, was because he thought Vad hailed from the old country. Definitely get some racist vibes, especially so if Vad was at the work site and Sam couldn't tell cause "they all look alike." Ah, problem is these guys have such different stories somebody is just flat out lying. Only way to win is to have some evidence that proves someone is lying, 'cause they disagree an the simplest things - like what time the workers showed up - plaintiff says 8pm (which is quiet time in the senior living home) or 9am according to Vad. I'm thinking that may be it, as Sam says the contract specifies move is to commences between 12 and 1 pm, and Vad admits they showed up first thing in morning and came back at 8PM, then worked til 1am. Ok, maybe it's just me but Vad sure seems to be dancing around when MM starts asking questions - his cred is falling fast. Dude, you said your rep saw what was to be moved at 9am (even says guy texted him pix of 'extra stuff') and then the contract was signed. Least that's what I thought he said - so the $400 price was set at that time. Now, because you all didn't start the job until 8 you want to change the contract and charge $90 an hour for two movers? Back to the contract, can't change the rate if stated in the signed contract unless both parties agree - in writing and sign. Now, after the move they want three times the estimate - not to mention lost and damaged stuff. Real SNAFU with the move. When they arrive at the new place Sam isn't there to let them in. They unload everything into the hallway and are waiting for Sam when management arrives and tells them the apartment hasn't been rented. Sam isn't answered his phone, so everything is hauled back downstairs (apartment is on 7th floor) and put back on truck. Ok, big problem for Sam here - he admits he didn't have a signed lease. He had seen the place, said he wanted it, but didn't have a signed lease or the keys! This is one of those seesaw cases where I'm against whoever is talking because both sides are incredible. Oh boy, now we find that the reason management were such a$$holes and made them take everything back downstairs is because Sam's check bounced. Sure, it's hearsay and Vad doesn't have any proof of the check bouncing, but it never looks good when the judge asks a litigant if a check bounced and the answer is "no, and he doesn't have any proof it bounced." Ah, Sam really looses me now when he starts with some convoluted black race conspiracy story - not even sure what he's trying to say, but the courtroom audience can't believe it and everyone, audience, defendant and MM are ready to laugh him out of court. Anyway, movers end up sitting in the parking lot half the day because management wants cashiers check or money order. When they finally get keys, they're trying to fit large br worth of stuff into a studio apartment - while Sam is setting up stuff as they move in. Vad admits that they finally got fed up and left with some of Sam's boxes still in the hallway. Very convoluted case, don't know what contract said about times or how much, but Sam sounds like the customer from hell - heck, movers are due extra just for the confusion over the lease and hauling stuff up and down 7 floors. Rough Justice time and case dismissed.
  2. what the heck, waiting all this time for new case and we get a dog case: plaintiff has long time feud with tenants next door. Only thing unusual is that after first set of tenants moved, new tenants moved in and the feud continued. Problem is she has little dogs, first tenants had rotty and new tenants have pits. She's fed up, and instead of seeing the tenants she's going after the owner who keeps renting to people with big dogs. Not sure what the basis for the complaint is/was --- wouldn't you know, I lost satellite so missed end of 2nd case and most of third case. Didn't bother to watch the ten minutes of third case I recorded

But hey, the one I DID see was entertaining?

• Like 1
  • Love 3
59 minutes ago, SRTouch said:

HALLELUJA - NEW EPISODE AT LAST!!!

But hey, the one I DID see was entertaining?

I didn't read your recap yet because I don't want to be spoiled before I get home to watch, but I can't tell you how excited you've made me that we finally have some new episodes. I swear, MM has more time off than I do, and I'm a school teacher. LOL.

• Love 1

Well, the moving case was all kinds of fun and made me so thankful yet again that I never had to deal with the public. Plaintiff definitely hires Vladimir because he thinks he's Russian and, surprise! -  he's not. Anyway, it was amazing how plaintiff thought it was perfectly fine to have movers drag all his junk over to an apartment he didn't even have the right to move into (never signed a lease and his cheque bounced) and for some reason feels everyone should be at his beck and call at his convenience. Wow. Another mover would have just left his crap in the hallway. They stole his computer too. Proof of what he paid for it and when he bought it? Well, no, he has none of that. Just give him the money. The gall - it boggles the mind.

Plaintiff starts telling Doug-in-the-Hall a rehash of his whole sad story. Doug's response (paraphrased) "Yeah, we already heard all that bullshit and don't want to hear it again. Goodbye and don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out."

Skipped the dog case.

Third case: This old dude really wants a motor home defendant (who appears to have many health issues) is selling for 6K. Nothing is in writing since they became great friends in a very short time so I guess she trusted him (always famous last words) He gives her 2K down and according to him she tells him "not to worry" about paying her the rest - ever, according to him. His business is not looking good, so he has no idea if or when he can pay her the rest. As he notes, she's alone and doesn't need the motor home anyway. He has a wife and kids, etc. and no money, so feels she shouldn't expect him to pay for the motor home, because, as he mentioned, business is not good. She says she has someone else who wants to buy it for 8K. He tells her that's great, since he has no intention of paying the amount they agreed on. New buyer changes his mind and def ends up getting rid of the thing for 4.5K. Plaintiff wants his downpayment back, if you can believe that. Another one with astonishing chutzpah and an inflated sense of entitlement. He doesn't get it and is told to go pound sand, but not in so many words. People - get stuff in writing!

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I was confused by the moving case. Did the guy actually end up moving in? (I think he had to pay cash and did). And did he actually move everything from a 2 bedroom to a studio like Vlad said? Whatever happened the movers needed to paid for their time wasted.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, maggiemae said:

I was confused by the moving case. Did the guy actually end up moving in? (I think he had to pay cash and did). And did he actually move everything from a 2 bedroom to a studio like Vlad said? Whatever happened the movers needed to paid for their time wasted.

There are LOTS of elderly people who move from houses to tiny apartments in those senior communities.  They think they're "downsizing," but they're not willing to give up the "stuff" they've accumulated over the years.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

Yes he moved and the movers waited for him.  He's lucky they didn't drop his crap and leave,

the landlord/neighbor in the dog case got upset because after six months of neither him nor his tenants fixing the fence she said she was suing.  He's paying for fence repairs.  And if he's smart putting pet restrictions on his property.

When my mom lived in a Sr apartment for a year she was one of the only people with a non hoarded looking apartment.

Edited by califred
Bc theee is not the number 3 and it was actually six months
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

That landlord irritated the crap out of me.  He agreed to fix the fence, then did nothing for 6 months and then, when he learned the lady was suing him, got upset.  Dude...you agreed to fix the fence, so fix the effing fence.  At least he redeemed himself somewhat in the hallterview with Doug. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4