Type keyword(s) to search

The People's Court - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Or at least we have the strength of character to take care of business as decent human beings.

My take away is usually that just doing the right thing in the first place makes life so much easier.  The majority of the litigants seem to bring all their shit and drama right down on their own heads.  They work harder at doing the wrong thing than I do playing by the rules.

Hiding from the creditors  & authorities, keeping up with lies, standing in line for something free, moving multiple times per year... it all sounds so EXHAUSTING!

• Love 4

Hiding from the creditors  & authorities, keeping up with lies, standing in line for something free, moving multiple times per year...

Plus running around to find other people to put your car in their name, asking them to cash checks for you or to let them put your money in their bank accounts to hide it from whatever authorities, using pawn shops as banks to get the scratch to bail out your baby daddy, getting restraining orders on some guy you hardly know who you decided to get knocked up by, hiding cars from the repo man, moving at 2:00a.m. to avoid paying rent, going through all the hassles of posting on dating sites and spending time romancing some idiot so you can ask them for money seven minutes after you meet - exhausting for sure!

My life is a bowl of cherries by comparison.

• Love 5

You guys, I need help.

Y'all remember the case where a very, very reasonable woman was suing a masonry guy for a bad job? There were drainage issues, and the defendant, who was an arrogant jerk, kept insisting that the plaintiff wanted him to re-use some rock to save money and it was the bad rock's fault (although he hadn't mentioned to her that it might be problematic). He also said he had come out several times to "fix" it but she was never home. (She had surveillance video that showed he was never there). He also had a bad facial tic and a crap attitude. When Hallway Asshole interviewed him, he tried to say the judge had ruled against him because she was a woman and therefore on the plaintiff's side, and that she didn't know anything about masonry. To Hallway Asshole's credit, the second the guy tried to play the sexism card, he was dismissed like the vermin he was.

ANYWAY, the defendant looks EXACTLY like a friend of mine, minus the facial tic. They reran the episode today, and now I'm afraid that if I run into my friend at a Christmas party, I may reflexively punch him in the face. Probably best just to stay in for a while, right? 

Happy holidays to you all! :)

• Love 5

When Hallway Asshole interviewed him, he tried to say the judge had ruled against him because she was a woman and therefore on the plaintiff's side

I just don't get it. Why didn't the skeevy leprechaun just pay the $1800, instead of having his face and his business name - Patrick McConnell - flashed all over the country ensuring no one else will hire him? But I guess it's his arrogance that made him think he couldn't lose in spite of not one shred of evidence that anything he said was other than a lie. I really hope everyone in that area saw this and won't call him for any work, ever again.

• Love 4

JM obviously didn't feel well in today's show. It was new to me but maybe a rerun. IDK but here goes. The first case the plaintiff was fired but took the company computer because he had personal info on it. Then he sued for damages because the boss tried to stop him and he claimed he was injured. The next case was a young woman who claimed that she had a heart attack 2 days before didn't pay rent because she was robbed and the door locks were busted. But they weren't, then she said the hall door was left open. The last case the plaintiff wanted payment, got some of it, but then said he would beat up the defendent when they got back to NY.

I guess this is rerun week. The Land Rover case, the woman who wanted a special outfit for a retirement party and a man renting a room. Who can forget that vain woman who wanted a special outfit to outshine the woman that the party was for. Since she didn't get the outfit in time she didn't even go because she "wanted to look nice" and "was too upset to go shopping for another outfit." LOL

• Love 2

I guess this is rerun week. The Land Rover case, the woman who wanted a special outfit for a retirement party and a man renting a room. Who can forget that vain woman who wanted a special outfit to outshine the woman that the party was for. Since she didn't get the outfit in time she didn't even go because she "wanted to look nice" and "was too upset to go shopping for another outfit." LOL

The woman who didn't attend the retirement party because she was too stressed to shop for an outfit was a jerk. There had to be a backstory about why she didn't really attend the party. And I wish that designer/dressmaker (wait, what is the term...tailor, seamster?) had a video camera in his shop....a video of that woman going apeshit would have been a Christmas-week treat.

Dumb question -- but did they sell tickets to the invited guests to pay for the food upfront or something? If someone wanted me to buy a ticket to a retirement party, a baby shower, bridal shower, wedding reception on top of the expected gift, I'd tell them to kick rocks. I'd rather stay home than attend some of those things anyway.

• Love 3

The woman who didn't attend the retirement party because she was too stressed to shop for an outfit was a jerk. There had to be a backstory about why she didn't really attend the party. And I wish that designer/dressmaker (wait, what is the term...tailor, seamster?) had a video camera in his shop....a video of that woman going apeshit would have been a Christmas-week treat.

Dumb question -- but did they sell tickets to the invited guests to pay for the food upfront or something? If someone wanted me to buy a ticket to a retirement party, a baby shower, bridal shower, wedding reception on top of the expected gift, I'd tell them to kick rocks. I'd rather stay home than attend some of those things anyway.

I wouldn't either. I guess that's how it's done these days. A gift should be enough when attending a shower or party. People selling tickets and throwing themselves a birthday party is another example of how things are done these days.

• Love 3

I wouldn't either. I guess that's how it's done these days. A gift should be enough when attending a shower or party. People selling tickets and throwing themselves a birthday party is another example of how things are done these days.

I can't decide if that's acceptable due to modern financial woes, or if it's (to borrow a phrase from Fat Albert's friend Rudy) like school in the summertime: no class. Maybe it's a case-by-case thing.

• Love 1

The woman who didn't attend the retirement party because she was too stressed to shop for an outfit was a jerk.

"I puts", "I goes", "I takes". Listening to that made my ears ache. Def was a jerk too, but I believed every word about how plaintiff attacked him physically. It's better she didn't get the outfit. Did you take a good look at it?

I had something like that happen with some tiles I ordered. I went back three times and they weren't there. Turns out the A-hole never bothered ordering them, but somehow I refrained from trying to beat his head in.

• Love 1

I missed this episode so I am not sure if she gave a description of the party.  It could be something thrown by the person's work -- the guest of honor and a spouse can go for free; other guests have to pay.  

• Love 2

Today was slacker day. As JM said "Who does that?" with this so called father borrowing his daughter's car and damaging the wheel and tire. He returns the car with a "donut" instead of owning up and buying a new tire and rim for the car and taking care of the damage. He says he is "disrespected" by her daring to ask for him to pay. He also says he can't work because he had a car accident years before and is disabled. Then in the hallway with Curt he cried crocodile tears and was phony as hell. If I were her I would take the judgement JM gave her fix the car and never have anything to do with that jerk again. A man can make a child but a father this guy was not.

The third case was much of the same this time with a girlfriend who he expected to pay all the expenses for a trip to Massachusetts. Then he told Curt in the hall "she offered" and shouldn't have to pay half like JM ruled. She came out and said he wasn't Christian the way he acted. They met in church. Douglas nodded his head when she said that. Thank you Douglas. I've seen Douglas smile in agreement or frown at stupid litigants but this is the first time I noticed him do this. A real man having to listen to that crap day in and day out. I hope he is compensated well. 

The middle case was a boring tenant suing landlord.

These were reruns but new for me. There is nothing that pisses me off more than so called men trying to con their way out of taking responsibility for their actions.

• Love 2

I'm STILL pissed off by the mother/daughter scamming team.  Daughter {mother of two} lives in a shelter and is supposed to be saving money for an apt.  But she spends it, so mom loans her some, she takes it and wastes it. She readily admitted to scamming the system and MM gave her a good talking to about scamming EXCEPT:  Where the hell are the fathers of scamming defendants children?  Why aren't they keeping  roofs over their children's head?  Why is it a given that they aren't responsible?????????????????????? Why does my tax money {along with JJ's Byrd} go to every lazy slob who can't keep her legs together and would rather scam that actually work?

• Love 5

Why does my tax money {along with JJ's Byrd} go to every lazy slob who can't keep her legs together and would rather scam that actually work?

The thing is, we see only a tiny sampling of the scammers here. I have a feeling that if we really knew the magnitude of it, our heads would explode. Maybe we should all get two jobs. We have a lot of mouths to feed.

• Love 6

I'm STILL pissed off by the mother/daughter scamming team.  Daughter {mother of two} lives in a shelter and is supposed to be saving money for an apt.  But she spends it, so mom loans her some, she takes it and wastes it. She readily admitted to scamming the system and MM gave her a good talking to about scamming EXCEPT:  Where the hell are the fathers of scamming defendants children?  Why aren't they keeping  roofs over their children's head?  Why is it a given that they aren't responsible?????????????????????? Why does my tax money {along with JJ's Byrd} go to every lazy slob who can't keep her legs together and would rather scam that actually work?

There is a non profit organization where I live who handed out food boxes at Thanksgiving. The truck was 10 minutes late one year and the complaining was unbearable. They stunk of cigarettes and booze. The kids were dirty and unruly. This at 10:10 a.m. in the morning! Making kids to get a bigger welfare check to spend on themselves and scam the system is a way of life for people like that. Also handed out are winter coats and gloves for the kids. Never a thank you, just a sense of entitlement. They have no work ethic, conscience, common sense, etc. This is the world we live in unfortunately.

• Love 6

Loved the rerun with the really flighty woman who caused an accident with a tow truck and then claimed it was his fault and that he tried to intimidate her.  MM got her on jacking up the estimate, lying to the insurance company, perjury, etc.  Her daughter blamed it on her mom getting nervous easily, but it sure seemed like there were other issues there.

I got the rerun of that awful woman who stiffed the home health worker who was taking care of her very elderly and mostly incapacitated parents, while daughter was collecting $800 month in rent from them. Oh, the "financial guardian" wouldn't pay her, so tough - let her work really hard for two weeks and get zip. I would have died of shame, but this woman didn't seem capable of that emotion.

Then we had the idiot who could barely talk suing his ex-baby momma for all kinds of things. SHE says he's verbally abusive, manipulative and cheats on her, so of course she decided to have a baby with him, even though he's also a deadbeat who doesn't pay his bills, can't get a stupid cable in his own name and can't even buy a car by himself.

But the best, or worst, really was the stabby ex-wife. I understand the plaintiff. When my husband bashed my head in, busted my ribs and stabbed me in the shoulder, I let it go. These things happen in love relationships and, oh, how I love that man of mine. BUT when he nearly severed my "jiggler" well, all bets were off.

• Love 4

But the best, or worst, really was the stabby ex-wife. I understand the plaintiff. When my husband bashed my head in, busted my ribs and stabbed me in the shoulder, I let it go. These things happen in love relationships and, oh, how I love that man of mine. BUT when he nearly severed my "jiggler" well, all bets were off.

I sat through the 'jiggeluh" guy again today too. And I got the feeling that he and the defendant give 'on again - off again' a whole new meaning. 

And the woman in the second case flunked Curt's hallterview quiz. What did you learn from all of this?  And she practically said, "I have to pay a little bit more attention when I give all my money away to the next man." Moron.

• Love 3

Yes the show itself is social commentary. If I wanted to write about personal experience with what we see daily on this show then so be it. There's different reasons why people watch this show. For me, it is having JM rule in favor of the litigants that have been wronged and the culprit not getting away with it. 

Social commentary, social justice, or whatever someone wants to call it is The People's Court for me.

Hopefully we get new episodes next week and we can get back to discussing them.

• Love 4

One of the things I really like about MM is that she isn't automatically dismissive of people who are receiving public assistance or disability the way JJ is.  She listens to the circumstances and backgrounds concerning the case and the litigants.  If she gets the sense that they are dirtbags playing the system she doesn't hesitate to bitchslap them, but it's based on what is presented before her and not a prejudgement.  

• Love 7

Ha ha the nasty guy today in the rerun.  I love the way the loser was talking to Kurt and said JM didn't give him time to talk but don't worry..she's your boss.  I understand why you won't say anything bad about her.  I laughed my head off.

• Love 1

I had the pleasure of watching the urine in the mouthwash couple with my parents, who don't watch regularly. Unfortunately, we were trying to eat at the same time. That was one of the nastier cases I've seen on TPC.

• Love 3

I had the pleasure of watching the urine in the mouthwash couple with my parents, who don't watch regularly. Unfortunately, we were trying to eat at the same time.

The guy who kindly brought a cup of his poo-flinging g/f's shit for JM to examine? I was eating too, and I just blindly ff'd right through that disgusting debacle, keeping my eyes on my plate.

I can picture your parents: "So, Teebax, darling? This is what you enjoy watching?" :p

• Love 2

This morning the first case was the plaintiff erotic dancer suing her employer because she had invested in her new sex toy business. I hadn't seen this episode before so IDK if it is a rerun or not. JM started to read from the list of toys for sale and got embarrased and stopped. LOL

The second case was another used car case. I wish people would realize that a used car case is an "as is" sale 99 percent of the time. These cases bore me. The second case was a barter case concerning silencers for guns. 

• Love 3

I've been trying to figure out a way to ask this without sounding bitchy, but is today's exotic dancer who you hire when everyone else is booked? And to the owner, if you have to say your business is classy, chances are, it isn't. She seemed pretty skeevy and is obviously running a scam with her "business" and investors. I almost felt sorry for the plaintiff as she appeared to be the only one of the defendant's dancers who fell for her scheme, but the stupidity of signing something (especially when it involves a financial investment) kind of cancelled out my sympathy.

Speaking of stupid; I always find it fascinating that there are still people walking among us who will buy a two decade old care with hundreds of thousands of miles on it and are shocked and livid to discover that it's a piece of crap.

Edited by WhitneyWhit
  • Love 4

JM started to read from the list of toys for sale and got embarrased and stopped. LOL

She did like one of them - "Pin the pinata on the sailor" or something like that! So, afternoon TV. Strippers... oh, sorry. I mean "Exotic dancers" and "Adult" sex toys (as opposed to "Children's sex toys?) and Tony, who I simply refuse to believe is a woman. Even with all that, they still haven't topped the case of the BDSM dungeon renovation.

*Sigh* Yet another person buying a 16 year old car with 200,000 miles being shocked that something went wrong with it and wanting ALL her money back, despite having signed an "As is" contract. "Yes, I signed it, but don't hold me to it." Will people never learn? I've met people who feel that a signed contract is just some meaningless formality, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Gun case: Other than a mild curiousity about why someone wants silencers, that was slightly boring.

• Love 1

Angela, the game was "pin the torpedo on the sailor" and that cracked me up.

Suppressors ("silencer" is a serious misnomer, everything you have seen in movies and TV is wrong) reduce the sound from really really LOUD to just really loud. They reduce the risk of permanent hearing damage that can occur from high power cartridges even with ear plugs and muffs on by significantly reducing the peak noise level. If you are out in the boonies where you can shoot on your own property, suppressors reduce any annoyance to your neighbors and also make shooting more comfortable. At this time they are handled as National Firearms Act (NFA) items, subject to the same restrictions as honest to goodness machine guns for no particular reason, and this involves lots of paperwork, extensive background checks which can be slow, and many beaureaucratics steps within ATFE. They are becoming more popular these days, perhaps because there is a much greater awareness of risks to hearing from even occasional very loud noises.

Edited by DoctorK
  • Love 1

First case the plaintiff rented a place with his mother who said she was "disrespected" and refused to pay her fair share. The son was worried about his credit rating. The mother and stepfather didn't help him out and the landlord was coming after him because the lease was in his name. The stepfather/slacker, when questioned by JM, said "Basically" numerous times and didn't say a damn thing of importance. The mother complained she had lost her "city" job and couldn't provide for her four kids. But then she said she had never said "no" to the plaintiff. The grandmother, who wasn't in court, was on the plaintiff's side. The plaintiff also has two kids with one on the way. A very dysfunctional family.

The second was a rock band case with the defendent looking like an old hippy complete with long hair, headband, and sexy red leather pants. LOL

The third was a boring car wash damaging the car case. 

• Love 1

There are two things you can always count on when it comes to People's Court litigants and money: if it's a personal loan and the person wants their money back, they're being disrespectful and/or harassing them -- if it's a business transaction and the person wants payment, they're being unprofessional and/or harassing them.

And here we have another woman spinning a woe is me tale about being jobless, unable to support her children and can't pay her bills while toting around a Louis Vuitton bag. If you need cash so bad, then maybe it's time to sell Louis.

I have nothing to say about the last two cases as they were kind of boring, except the defendant in the rock band case looked like a long lost member of Nelson. I was waiting for him to bust out a chorus to "Can't Live Without Your Love and Affection".

• Love 5

And here we have another woman spinning a woe is me tale about being jobless, unable to support her children and can't pay her bills while toting around a Louis Vuitton bag. If you need cash so bad, then maybe it's time to sell Louis.

That was the defendant mother of the plaintiff daughter, right? I couldn't stand the defendants. Mom was so smug and self righteous (early on she admitted that as a mother she couldn't take care of her children, later she said that she was a great mother to her kids), and she and step-dad both came across as smarmy and dishonest.

P.S. Any bets on whether the bag was a fake?

Edited by DoctorK

I've been trying to figure out a way to ask this without sounding bitchy, but is today's exotic dancer who you hire when everyone else is booked? 

I thought she was cute. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I almost never think someone people describe as beautiful is, so my mileage apparently varies from most people's.

That was the defendant mother of the plaintiff daughter, right? I couldn't stand the defendants. Mom was so smug and self righteous (early on she admitted that as a mother she couldn't take care of her children, later she said that she was a great mother to her kids), and she and step-dad both came across as smarmy and dishonest.

P.S. Any bets on whether the bag was a fake?

She was also chicken-necking which I can't freaking stand. She was so indignant and had no remorse for ruining her child's credit. I say this all the time: just because someone is family doesn't mean you have to have them in your life or help them. If you have shitty people in your family you're better off developing a solid group of friends who won't take advantage of you.

• Love 7

First case the plaintiff rented a place with his mother who said she was "disrespected" and refused to pay her fair share. The son was worried about his credit rating. The mother and stepfather didn't help him out and the landlord was coming after him because the lease was in his name. The stepfather/slacker, when questioned by JM, said "Basically" numerous times and didn't say a damn thing of importance. The mother complained she had lost her "city" job and couldn't provide for her four kids. But then she said she had never said "no" to the plaintiff. The grandmother, who wasn't in court, was on the plaintiff's side. The plaintiff also has two kids with one on the way. A very dysfunctional family.

Plaintiff also said that the only people he has in his life are his grandmother and his kids.  I guess the mother(s) of his kids are not in his life, either.

• Love 1

Plaintiff also said that the only people he has in his life are his grandmother and his kids.  I guess the mother(s) of his kids are not in his life, either.

You may be right but this could also be slip of the tongue or a brain fart. He seemed like a decent, composed grown up, unlike Mom and step-dad.

The first case today had the plaintiff buying an iPhone for the defendent because he had bad credit. She says they were like brother and sister. He countersued for pain and suffering and lost wages to the tune of $5,000 because "she stressed me out." In the hallway he tells Curt that she had "to go to Africa to get a man." Nice!

The second case had the plaintiff loaning his 25 year old Lincoln Continental to his friend who broke it. The friend said it was an old car and would have broken anyway. 

The third case involved two cat ladies. The funny thing about this one was in the hallway the defendent looked around suspiciously and Curt asked her what she was looking for. She said she was afraid she would be hit. Watch Douglas' reaction. Funny!

Edited by rcc
  • Love 1

The two old wannabe rockers fighting over $100.00.  Lordy, lordy, dude your red pleather, blond straw hair and headband just ain't your look.  Scary that he stood in a mirror that morning & decided that was his best ensemble for TeeVee.

Edited by zillabreeze
  • Love 7

I just love how loans work in this world:

I loan you money. You promise to pay me back. You don't pay me back so I have to start calling you asking you to PAY ME BACK.  I get a little heated after asking ten times. You decide I'm being "disrespectful" which automatically means you don't have to pay me back.

It's the Deadbeat Strategy.

• Love 11