Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E17: Phase Two

• Start Topic

Screen+Shot+2018-03-23+at+11.06.17+AM+%2

Senator Morejon puts phase two of Elizabeth’s U.S./Iran arms deal in jeopardy when he asserts that Iran funneled money from phase one of the deal to fund a recent bombing that killed an American citizen. Also, Henry mulls over the option of becoming the chairman of the new military ethics department at the National War College.

Promo pictures

Well, he's back to being Senator Asshole again.

And Henry tricked himself into being chair of the department! He really didn't want to be, but his quest to Do the Honorable Thing (and get back at the guy who insulted Bess) blew up in his face. Though, really, the other guy was a jerk: who insults a colleague's wife in front of another colleague? Not Department Chair material, that's for sure!

And the political machinations were painful to watch (not because they weren't realistic, but because you see just how little the issue itself matters when people all have the thing they want and want to block something else.)

So maybe Henry's struggles and dept. chair will mirror Bess's as SoS.

And Mike B "charges" for his consultations? Even when he shows up uninvited to someone's house? Does Bess pay for that out of her pocket, or does the taxpayer? Also, it was a nice, weird interaction with the process server.

• Love 3

Just when I think Morejon isn't a complete ass.....he goes out of his way to prove me wrong. Using that family like that, all the while, knowing where the money was coming from. There's a line where your actions are more hurtful than harmful, no matter what side you claim to be on. Look behind you dickhead, you passed it. 

The idiot that was up for the Dept Chair. I can buy that he's skated a while, especially if there are actual classmates of his that people can talk to, and proof he attended (stories/pictures etc)  But that should have bitten him in the ass a long time ago. And to go up for a chair on an ETHICS committee, knowing damn good and well you didn't graduate. C'mon man. You're lucky it was Dr. Arm Candy that caught you, no one else would be as generous in their understanding (especially after you insulted their wife)!

I always like when Mike B shows up. He's blunt, smart, and opinionated, but he also reads like a friend/ally to Bess.

Wild Russell sighting!!

• Love 6

So Bess can't follow simple orders, Dr Ace Pilot Bond Spy Professor lets a fake prof keep teaching, and somehow either 1) Bess was getting sued personally and the dept wouldn't give her a duty certificate to cover her --or 2) We live in a weird world where people aren't sued in their official capacity  by delivering the suit via mail to the official address. 

Carlos is a bitch, but I sort of think all minority party Senate leaders are likely that way. Only slightly surprised he didn't put his hand on her butt, given our current political leaders--both sides, all genders.

• Love 1
On April 9, 2018 at 2:46 PM, nekilarose said:

Just when I think Morejon isn't a complete ass.....he goes out of his way to prove me wrong. Using that family like that, all the while, knowing where the money was coming from.

But did Morejon really know the Saudis were footing the bill for the law suit and why?

On April 9, 2018 at 6:42 PM, Happywatcher said:

Dr Ace Pilot Bond Spy Professor lets a fake prof keep teaching

That whole scene where Henry the Great confronts Professor CheatsAlot was so terribly acted on both sides that I'm going to throw the actors a bone and say that they were obviously doing the scene over objections that it was unbelievable and illogical. Had to be, right?

• Love 1

I assumed that when we were told Professor Liar, Liar Pants on Fire had "taken a personal leave," that was a euphemism for him to resign rather than being fired.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

Why not just go and take the last test that he missed?

Maybe the school has a time limit for completing a degree.

When someone takes a government job, do you expect them to say they want to spend less time with their family?

On 4/9/2018 at 3:46 PM, nekilarose said:

I always like when Mike B shows up. He's blunt, smart, and opinionated, but he also reads like a friend/ally to Bess.

me too! But sad we didn't see Gordon.

I really liked this one. I liked that Bess totally couldn't wait to embarrass Jason at the ceremony. Sir CheatsAlot had that whole smarmy condescension down, didn't he?? as least he had the grace to apologize for the shot against Bess before Arm Candy called him out.

I can't warm up to Kat. I don't know if it's because I miss Jay in the "get to the nitty gritty" negotations or if i'm still mad at her for leaving Grey's. But i'll admit she grated on me less this episode. I would like to see a callback at some point where the Secretary has to reign the two of them in, reminding them of the last time they screwed up.

I need more Blake. AND AN UPDATE ON WAFFLES.

• Love 2

I wanted at least a remark or two about culturally traditional Middle Eastern men's willingness to sit down and negotiate with a woman who projects masculinity. But then Archie Bunker's remarks about his friendship with the black Jeffersons never seemed sufficient, so maybe why bother.

• Love 2
On 4/11/2018 at 4:55 AM, shapeshifter said:

Just when I think Morejon isn't a complete ass.....he goes out of his way to prove me wrong.

I loved the scene with the McCords debating whether Morejon was a patriot or a weasel, or alternating between the two.

• Love 2

Wouldn't there be some type of background investigation for a job at a military college?  Or would they accept someone's resume without checking it?  and I am puzzled at Henry's comforting the lying professor by saying a lot of people would have done what he did; IMO, a too casual acceptance of a HUGE ethical lapse for someone who wants to teach ethics to current and future military leaders.  And if he's willing to lie about that, doesn't that call into question all his academic work?  

I laughed at Daisy's "yeah, good luck with that" when Bess said no more classifying news as good or bad.  

• Love 3
On 4/15/2018 at 10:06 AM, Calvada said:

Wouldn't there be some type of background investigation for a job at a military college?  Or would they accept someone's resume without checking it?  and I am puzzled at Henry's comforting the lying professor by saying a lot of people would have done what he did; IMO, a too casual acceptance of a HUGE ethical lapse for someone who wants to teach ethics to current and future military leaders.  And if he's willing to lie about that, doesn't that call into question all his academic work?  

I laughed at Daisy's "yeah, good luck with that" when Bess said no more classifying news as good or bad.  

At the public university I attended, the president faked his resume and nobody discovered until 10 years later - and they let him keep his job (He started he had jobs he did not and he also said he had published papers that were never published)

On ‎09‎.‎04‎.‎2018 at 12:07 PM, kwnyc said:

So maybe Henry's struggles and dept. chair will mirror Bess's as SoS.

I hope not. I think it would be lame and there is no need for it. Also, I think they should each be allowed to have their own separate stories.

And Mike B "charges" for his consultations? Even when he shows up uninvited to someone's house?

I assumed because he showed up at the WH in what looked to be an official capacity and then went through the deposition "training" with Bess, he was representing Bess. It sounded/looked like they were discussing legal strategy in the Oval Office.

Does Bess pay for that out of her pocket, or does the taxpayer?

Knowing Bess, she probably decided to pay for it herself.

On ‎09‎.‎04‎.‎2018 at 7:42 PM, Happywatcher said:

Carlos is a bitch, but I sort of think all minority party Senate leaders are likely that way.

Is he minority? We know he's not majority leader but he could still be a member of the majority. He was leading the budget negotiations so that suggests he's part of the majority, doesn't it?

On ‎11‎.‎04‎.‎2018 at 4:55 AM, shapeshifter said:

But did Morejon really know the Saudis were footing the bill for the law suit and why?

Bess concluded that he already knew when she told him. Although, I have no idea how he would have found out but maybe the Saudi's approached him?

On ‎15‎.‎04‎.‎2018 at 10:06 AM, Calvada said:

Or would they accept someone's resume without checking it? 

He was "only" a guest professor, so they might have relied more on recommendation and reputation.

Another episode I really liked. I thought this one and the last one had a lot of what made S1 so great and what the show was lacking in especially the second half of S3 (although, generally, I think that S4 has improved over S3).

Overall, I thought that Bess' mood throughout the episode was well portrayed and felt: the beginning was fine, then she got really uncomfortable when she was being handled and was asked to do things that weren't her and then she got comfortable again towards the end when she threw that out the window, starting with getting served and continuing on to telling the family about their son. It came across really well.

I also loved that they stayed true to Bess throughout the episode, that she went along with being handled at first and then decided to do it her way in the end. I also thought that the end felt surprisingly organic and not like they were forcing a happy ending. To this episode, the lawsuit was the key and when that got dropped, everything else fell back into place and it often is like that. There is one key piece and if you change that everything else works out. That the deal was put back into place was also kept low key, so I think that contributed to that feeling.

I thought the politics of the episode were frustrating and infuriating but very realiticly portrayed. That's probably a lot of times how it is. (And as much as I enjoyed the episode, I can't say that I mind that we don't get to see it more often)

I was so with the McCord's assessment of Senator Morejon at the beginning, especially Alison's remark that he has one of the most punch-able faces. Even if I don't have to see him to want to punch him, I just need to hear him.

I liked the growth of Jason. I thought it was really obvious in this episode. He's moved away from his conspiracy theories and blind following of politicians and he actually listened when his mother explained the politics of the deal to him.

Does anyone but Bess like Mike B? Well, Nadine liked him after election night but that aside, it seems like everyone just wants him to go away each time he shows up except for Bess. I actually like him, I think he's fun and they can play with him more than with other characters and I like the scenes he and Bess have together.  And did he actually say "people with pet ferrets" when Bess asked (probably rhetorical) do you know what I don't like? Was there any significance to him peeking into Bess' file or was he just nosy?

I don't think I'd have considered the video of the process server's take down good advertisement. I mean, how stupid do you have to be to reach into your pocket in front of the Secretary of State's security detail? It's not something I'd want out there. But yeah, I agree, that scene between him and Bess was good but weird. And typically Bess, too.

I enjoyed Henry's story (again). Yes, he's chair of the Ethics Department but at least, he's not running around, playing spy and I actually think this is a job he's qualified for and all levels. And it was so Henry that he said he was interested in the job because the other guy had made this bad joke about Bess. I loved it and I also loved the scene with Bess and Henry afterwards when she told him that he needed to be sure if he actually wanted the job.

As far as the other guy is concerned, I think it would have been wrong to go to the school's superiors, it wouldn't have been Henry and I wouldn't have liked it. I also think it would have been wrong to ignore it, so I think that this was the only viable option. I also think that this is what Henry would have done: give he guy a chance to come clean himself. It seems like the ethical thing to do. It also shows that Henry believes in the guy and his ethics.

The parking lot discussion was hilarious and Henry's expression when they started discussing it cracked me up. That was even more hilarious. He was so stunned. I guess, he realized in that moment just how petty academia politics can be.

And I loved Henry's response to Bess' partiot-weasel description of Morejon. He was definitely closer to the truth than Bess!

Whoever thought of that lawsuit deserves a creativity award. That reasoning behind it was seriously ridiculous!

I do understand how the parents would have dropped the lawsuit after Bess came to see them. Knowing the truth about a relative's death does help to find closure and cope. But I still would have liked to have a teeny bit more. I'm not really sure what, just a little something. Yes, she didn't go over there to ask them to drop the lawsuit and she didn't but maybe if they had continued on her shaking a lot of hands she'd prefer not to shake or if they'd added a small reference to her having been in the CIA herself. I guess, something that makes her more relateable for the parents.

I really enjoyed Bess' scene with the Saudi ambassador. I almost fell sorry for him. I already did the last time they had him on the show. But only almost. I guess, he's just the kind of person that we know will bounce back. I liked that Bess didn't really care about his threats at the beginning. I bet she would have told him they'll just close the bases, too, if she could have. I was a little surprised about the bases in Saudi Arabia though. It seems that they might have "fallen victim" to the overhaul of their foreign policy from S3. But I guess, the Department of Defense might have opposed.

Loved all of the Bess and Henry scenes and am glad that we've been getting a few more in the latest episodes/that we've been getting a lot of scenes at home.

On a shallower note: I love the pants Bess has been wearing in the last two episodes and the blazers. I also loved the blue coat. Not a fan of that tan coat with the white stripes though. I think it makes her look bulky around the shoulders and kind of square.

Edited by CheshireCat
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

enjoyed Henry's story (again). Yes, he's chair of the Ethics Department but at least, he's not running around, playing spy and I actually think this is a job he's qualified for and all levels

Early season one Henry was definitely qualified to be chair of the new Ethics Department, but Henry the Handler of Dmitri? Not so much.