Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Teacher Jail

paulvdb

When Jack  leaves his class unattended, a student injury sets off an official investigation and lands Jack in "teacher jail." An aggressive teacher's union rep sets her sights on Principal Durbin. The students' excitement for a substitute teacher are dashed when they find out it's Helen.

The episode is available online. I wasn't a fan of the first episode but decided to give the show another chance. I didn't like this episode either so I'm out. The main character is too unlikeable for me.

25 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

That damn saxaphone warning with Baker Street being played cracked me up hard. Genius.

I'm just finishing up the episode. The sax warning made me LOL, too. 

Unfortunately, that was the only laugh for me. I'll try episode  #3. If it doesn't get better, I'll have to move on.  There are too many good shows available that could be wasting my time instead. ?

59 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

I'm just finishing up the episode. The sax warning made me LOL, too. 

Unfortunately, that was the only laugh for me. I'll try episode  #3. If it doesn't get better, I'll have to move on.  There are too many good shows available that could be wasting my time instead. ?

If you aren't in now you probably won't be. I will say the third episode gives movement to his relationship with the students and the bully gets fleshed out more.

I also don't think I'm watching the show the way others are. It's just privelaged white man runs amok story. First, I don't watch shows like that. I'm watching the character. I'm not taking point off because he's a white guy (not saying that you are). To me, the show is like if Jeff (Joel McCale) from Community was put in charge of students in the pilot episode. Knowing that he will evolve throughout the series is part of the fun to me.

I also enjoy the other faculty and several of the students. Especially, the girl with the huge glasses. I laugh every time they cut to her.

• Love 4

I watched this episode on Hulu, and it was bad. Neither Patton Oswalt nor Niecy Nash can save this. And I've seen the "teacher jail" concept on another show, but I can't remember which. Maybe Vice Principals?

This is just not funny.

• Love 1

So watching this episode and things occur to me. 

If you want to get rid of him,  why go though the foolishness they went through? Why not just go to your parents and complain. I get suspicion of disbelief and all, but come on, that's just lazy. I really want to like this but they really need to do something with the supporting cast.

The opening bit about the opossums had me laughing out loud.

I felt sorry for the substitute biology teacher at the end -- all he wanted to do was teach.

Someone at NBC must love philosophy -- first "The Good Place" and its philosophy-heavy episodes, and now this show, where the main character is a philosophy scholar. 

• Love 1
On 2/3/2018 at 8:01 PM, bilgistic said:

And I've seen the "teacher jail" concept on another show, but I can't remember which. Maybe Vice Principals?

This is just not funny.

It was the plot of the series finale of Law and Order!

This episode felt like it was shown out of order.

Edited by biakbiak

I didn't find it funny. And could those students be any older?

On 2/5/2018 at 11:56 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Taran Killam, formerly of SNL.

As I always feel about him: bringing a bit of brilliance into a minor part. 

11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

It was the plot of the series finale of Law and Order!

This episode felt like it was shown out of order.

Nope, although the next two episodes this Thursday are episodes 104 and 103, just shown in the incorrect order for some reason.

The actress who played the pants-crapping teacher - that character was played by Vanessa Bayer in the pilot. I guess for whatever reason Bayer wasn't available to do the series when the show got picked up- maybe because she was filming a movie at the time. But I couldn't help imagining her in the role, especially in this episode- it's the kind of mousy, eager to please, but willing to put up with abuse from the other two teachers character that you can see having been written with Bayer in mind.

1 hour ago, Phishbulb said:

Thursday are episodes 104 and 103, just shown in the incorrect order for some reason.

Televised order numbers is not the same as production order numbers many shows show eps out of production order don't care to research it but if this wasnt filmed later this show has many more issues than not being funny.

Edited by biakbiak
14 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Televised order numbers is not the same as production order numbers many shows show eps out of production order don't care to research it but if this wasnt filmed later this show has many more issues than not being funny.

Right, I was just saying that the episode airing at 8:30 this Thursday is production number 104, and the one at 9:30 is production number 103 (which has already been available online for a while).

I generally find it makes more sense when you watch shows in production order, but not always. Although I see 103 has Paula Pell in it again. 

12 minutes ago, Phishbulb said:

I was just saying that the episode airing at 8:30 this Thursday is production

Which is helpful to prove my point from a telivised numbet this is epidode 2 and it seemed out of order because their relationship that exists here wasnt present from the first ep.

Edited by biakbiak

Taran Killam, formerly of SNL.

OMG!  I'm normally good with faces and voices, but I totally did not recognize him.  So funny!

I love the small details of this show, like what was on the board when the sub was talking about the reproductive system. A drawing of a pill, and then a drawing of the pill going down the throat.

I think the show is hilarious. Ridiculous, but hilarious.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

OMG!  I'm normally good with faces and voices, but I totally did not recognize him.  So funny!

I love the small details of this show, like what was on the board when the sub was talking about the reproductive system. A drawing of a pill, and then a drawing of the pill going down the throat.

I think the show is hilarious. Ridiculous, but hilarious.

Also known as Mr. Robin Sparkles!

I always pause tv shows whenever something is written down (like on a chalkboard) and often it's not worth the two seconds it takes me to pause and then unpause, but so far it's been worth it every time I've done it for this show!

• Love 3