Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E11: Law of the Jungle

doLLish
  • Start Topic

After responding to a time-sensitive rescue, Casey and Severide don't see eye to eye on the best course of action; Herrmann struggles to entertain his daughter while at work; Brett is joined by a surprise guest during a spa getaway.

More of the same Severide vs Casey stuff but the lack of Gabriella Dawson was so refreshing. Casey is really unlikable to me these days and I’d like to see him taken down a peg or two. Nice cliffhanger with the Severide thing. Not a bad storyline to come back to after a month. The spa date storyline was campy but I thought the storyline with Hermann’s daughter was cute. All in all not a horrible episode.

• Love 2

See, show? You can do an episode that's fun without Gabby.

Overall it was decent. Loved Platt and the kidlet. Pure gold, but I was disappointed that Hermann didn't give her the grand tour, let her climb a ladder (tied off safely, of course), play with the the siren, but I get that maybe he didn't want to encourage her to do something dangerous with her life. Still, that kid rocked.

First rescue was a good plot staging area, which hopefully won't go beyond this episode. Liked Casey taking the high road later on: "We met last night." I was afraid it would devolve into the usual fight/animosity with Ramifications Later On, but pleasantly surprised they didn't. I don't think there's a copper anywhere who wouldn't thank the FFs who did their best to rescue their own, even if the outcome was bad. Rule One: You can't save everybody.

Didn't we see that professional difference of opinion a few weeks ago at another scene between Severide and Casey? Chain of command. Cap makes the call, but also takes the shit if things go pear-shaped. Both ideas looked sound, but it should have taken a lot less time to get a chain around the steering wheel and pull it out of the way, or hell, just use the Hurst to cut the steering column/wheel right off.

R&D on the "slamigan." Just. No. That plot should Never Be Heard From Again.

Really thought Zach was going to snuff it, with his dying words to Kidd, "Take care of Severide" or some such nonsense. Glad neither happened.

I think they let an out-take make it to air. In Molly's, Grissom tells Hermann, behind the bar, "I'll have whatever Taylor's having." At least that's how it sounded on my system.

OK, the Big Call. I've got carpal tunnel from handwaving all the idiocy away, but I'll at least give them props for going in with full SCBA. Masks don't make for good TV, but they do make for firefighters coming out alive, so yeah. Thanks for that.

Why was there still power on in the water plant? If there's a risk of explosion, wouldn't you want to cut any additional source of ignition?

Of course the shutoff was stuck. Of course it was an old wheel valve.

Why would there be high-pressure acetylene in a water treatment plant? I'm also not a chemist so I don't know what the reaction is between acetylene and chlorine, but it seems overly contrived for that scenario to exist.

Rooftop idiocy: OK, they're holding the valve closed by hand. I'll let that crap sit for the sake of TV drama. Clockwise pressure is all that's needed. So raise the aerial, get some men up with chain and a come-along, loop it around what they're holding onto for dear life, tie off to something immovable on the roof itself and take the load. That'll hold the valve until a team of pros can come up and effect repairs, meanwhile bring the men back down the stick. But hey, jumping into water of unknown depth from 50 or 60 feet up, in full bunker gear, looks like so much fun. Especially after they're both physically exhausted from a major hazmat incident and rescue. Silly, stupid fun, though.

Edited by NJRadioGuy
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, NJRadioGuy said:

But hey, jumping into water of unknown depth from 50 or 60 feet up, in full bunker gear, looks like so much fun.

Especially since they didn't even check what's below the roofline before they jumped.  What exactly was the ignition source on the rooftop to cause the explosion?  There was no flame there.  I'll bet that patient with the severe leg injury really appreciated being carried out in the modified chair lift.  No stress there.

So, I guess Bria didn't draw the audience as expected and was dropped without so much as a reference in this episode.  Hope they had plenty of food in the reefer for her as she fades into lost storyline purgatory.

I have to agree with Grissom.  That call was mishandled in so many ways.  Casey must have mad track skills if he can outrun a con in tennis shoes while wearing turnout boots.

1 hour ago, NJRadioGuy said:

"I'll have whatever Taylor's having." At least that's how it sounded on my system.

On replay, CC said "Kelly", but it sounded like "Taylor". Could go either way.

What was with that shirt that Otis had on?  Was he headed out to Cook County Jail?

Wait, so Kidd didn't tell Zach that she was cancelling the date to go to a charity fundraiser but actually lied about having a migraine? Why? If there's anybody who would understand her doing that, it's him!

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Especially since they didn't even check what's below the roofline before they jumped.

Yeah, I was thinking about that too last night. They'd have gone over like a couple of stones. No way that place doesn't have a road or driveway or something on all four sides.

What exactly was the ignition source on the rooftop to cause the explosion?  There was no flame there.

Magical TV fire, of course. Couldn't they have just vented the tank to atmosphere, if the alternative was DeathAndDestruction™?

2 hours ago, Xantar said:

Wait, so Kidd didn't tell Zach that she was cancelling the date to go to a charity fundraiser but actually lied about having a migraine? Why? If there's anybody who would understand her doing that, it's him!

Yeah, and it's not like that won't come back to bite her.  Plus, if it's a fundraiser for firefighters, and they are all firefighters... wouldn't someone else tell him that they saw her there?

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Especially since they didn't even check what's below the roofline before they jumped.  What exactly was the ignition source on the rooftop to cause the explosion?  There was no flame there.  I'll bet that patient with the severe leg injury really appreciated being carried out in the modified chair lift.  No stress there.

So, I guess Bria didn't draw the audience as expected and was dropped without so much as a reference in this episode.  Hope they had plenty of food in the reefer for her as she fades into lost storyline purgatory.

I have to agree with Grissom.  That call was mishandled in so many ways.  Casey must have mad track skills if he can outrun a con in tennis shoes while wearing turnout boots.

On replay, CC said "Kelly", but it sounded like "Taylor". Could go either way.

What was with that shirt that Otis had on?  Was he headed out to Cook County Jail?

I replayed it too...it's said quickly but does sound like Taylor. Good ear. 

27 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Yeah, and it's not like that won't come back to bite her.  Plus, if it's a fundraiser for firefighters, and they are all firefighters... wouldn't someone else tell him that they saw her there?

That's exactly what I was thinking. Heck...why wouldn't he have even been there anyway, or at least known about it. Strange lie. 

I think they are setting it up for her to care for injured Severide because she talked about moving out this episode but I think he will need her. 

• Love 3

Especially since they didn't even check what's below the roofline before they jumped. 

I think this was supposed to be an homage (if not a blatant rip-off) of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid but, yeah . . . unless the water is lapping right up against the base of that building, chances are that Casey and Severide are about to go ker-splat all over the pavement below. 

I really would like to hear from someone in upper management in the real CFD because this show keeps relying on this plot point where some asshole from upper management comes into the station, raises hell, tries to get someone fired, tries to shut them all down, etc. etc. etc. They really need to stop going to that well. It happens at least once every season. And all it does is make whoever is in charge of the overall department look like assholes.

Daniel di Tomasso, who plays Zach (hazmat guy), has been in other things I've watched, and there is just something inherently evil looking about him. I have to believe he's going to turn out to be a bad guy.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Overall it was decent. Loved Platt and the kidlet. Pure gold, but I was disappointed that Hermann didn't give her the grand tour, let her climb a ladder (tied off safely, of course), play with the the siren, but I get that maybe he didn't want to encourage her to do something dangerous with her life. Still, that kid rocked.

Didn't we see that professional difference of opinion a few weeks ago at another scene between Severide and Casey? 

I'm curious who watches Hermann's daughter if they have to go out on call?  At least they had a "reason" to have a kid hanging out at that station.  Usually, it's treated like a daycare center - couldn't find a sitter, kid got suspended, etc.  I guess Trudy has nothing better to do than to hang out with a 9 year old.

Yes...usually they wait at least a season before recycling a storyline.  I think the Severide/Casey situation happened 3 episodes ago.

9 hours ago, Xantar said:

Yeah, that was beyond stupid!

5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Unless the water is lapping right up against the base of that building, chances are that Casey and Severide are about to go ker-splat all over the pavement below. 

EXACTLY!  

Now Stella can nurse Severide back to health and he'll realize he's in wuv with her!  Gag!   In the meantime, Hazmat guy who also got hurt will probably never be mentioned again.  Thinking of hazmat...I don't think I've ever heard a call for hazmat on the scene except for these last two episodes and once Zach disappears, they will probably never be called again.  Molly's 2 seems to have gone by the wayside too.

16 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Casey must have mad track skills if he can outrun a con in tennis shoes while wearing turnout boots.

Color me surprised that it wasn't Gabby that ran after the convict and wrestled him to the ground.  Even more surprised when Casey said he nominated Severide for the commendation medal and Severide didn't give it to Gabby just because she's St. Gabby.

The spa storyline was so lame.  I guess Silvie doesn't have any other friends outside the firehouse that she could have invited.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, juliet73 said:

I'm curious who watches Hermann's daughter if they have to go out on call?  At least they had a "reason" to have a kid hanging out at that station.  Usually, it's treated like a daycare center - couldn't find a sitter, kid got suspended, etc.  I guess Trudy has nothing better to do than to hang out with a 9 year old.

Connie or any clerical staff, or if it's just Engine, or Squad, or Truck that goes, the folks from the other apparatus or Boden, I guess.

Trudy can have some fun in her off-times. 21st District and House 51 are obviously a big extended family; that's totally realistic. Everybody knows everybody else's kids, family situation, etc. And especially in Trudy's case since she's married to a T-81 FF.

In the meantime, Hazmat guy who also got hurt will probably never be mentioned again.  Thinking of hazmat...I don't think I've ever heard a call for hazmat on the scene except for these last two episodes and once Zach disappears, they will probably never be called again.  Molly's 2 seems to have gone by the wayside too.

Naw, Molly's 2 will be back since Otis is involved with the woman who's dad used to own it. That's B-plot stuff, or even C-plot. With Brie's storyline (hopefully) done, they need a new A-plot to take them to the Olympic break cliffhangar. I think that's going to be Severide and Grissom, and/or Grissom coming after Casey's fresh new bugle.

Color me surprised that it wasn't Gabby that ran after the convict and wrestled him to the ground.  Even more surprised when Casey said he nominated Severide for the commendation medal and Severide didn't give it to Gabby just because she's St. Gabby.

A-freakin-men. BTW, prisoners in transport are usually shackled hand and foot, hands behind the back, and after Freddie Gray in Baltimore, securely fastened to the prison van's body to prevent injury in case of a crash. Prisoners in TV shows are always shown hands-in-front. Sorry bunky, it don't work that way <g>. There are also usually a whole slew of police cars at an MVA scene for traffic control, accident investigation and so on. That was a head-desk moment.

The spa storyline was so lame.  I guess Silvie doesn't have any other friends outside the firehouse that she could have invited.  

She's still somewhat new to Chicago and may not have made many friends outside of work.

I agree about Kidd and Severide being forced back together (by bad writing). They've been intimate before, but now he sees her as a trusted colleague and a good friend, so to me that's a pretty good foundation to build something real over. Only problem is, if it crashes and burns, you've got a very toxic workplace all of a sudden, and the old "don't crap where you eat" proverb comes into play.

• Love 2

This show has too many quirky subplots that just end up feeling silly. Brett's spa story and Hermann's bring your daughter to work day were examples from this episode. Maybe it actually is a reflection of firehouse life, hours, even days of boredom, interspersed with desperate moments of rescues and pure terror. But it's annoying that characters like Otis and Cruz come off as the jokers while the weighty stories tend to go to characters like Severide, Casey, and of course Gabby. There could be more balance in the writing for this presumed ensemble cast.

I really liked Trudy and Herman's kid hanging out. It was adorable and I'm always happy to see Trudy. Despite all the plot holes and suspended logic, I enjoyed the episode. I found last week's boring so this was a nice surprise. And no more Brea, just a quick mention which was more than enough.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, watcher1006 said:

But it's annoying that characters like Otis and Cruz come off as the jokers while the weighty stories tend to go to characters like Severide, Casey, and of course Gabby. There could be more balance in the writing for this presumed ensemble cast.

But...but...but that would take away screen time for our Beloved and Blessed Saint Gabby. Heaven forfend!

• Love 1

Well, we finally got some storylines not about Gabby, and they're mostly repeats of past storylines.  Casey and Severide butt heads over how to handle a call, father figure thinks Severide is wasting his life just being a squad lieutenant, Hermann has wacky family stuff.  The Casey and Severide story might have been a bit different since Casey now outranks Severide rather than previous seasons where they were the same rank, but I didn't really see that coming into play.

I was confused by the big scene - quick google search tells me acetylene and chlorine gas do spontaneously combust.  Found a bunch of videos of underwater fireworks, and the reaction seems pretty quick so I didn't understand the whole gas levels are rising we're going to have 1 big explosion - wouldn't they have had a bunch of little explosions anywhere the 2 gases came into contact?  

On the roof - why would Casey and Severide take off their masks to hold the valve?  I assumed the fog we saw there was supposed to be chlorine gas and I can't believe they would be able to breath getting a face full of the stuff as it comes streaming out the pipes.  Even if they survive their jump into the water I'm guessing they would have breathing problems and maybe even chemical burns of mouth and throat.

Honestly, I thought this was one of the better recent episodes.  Main plots actually related to being firefighters, and Hermann's daughter was cute.

• Love 1

I finally watched this and it was okay. I wondered why Herrman didn't bother to show his daughter stuff but I would think he could do that on a weekend and I liked the drawing she made. 

I didn't realize Casey suggested the nomination for Severide but I think Grissom's got a thing up his butt about Severide being more than just a Lt. 

I don't get why Cruz doesn't talk to Brett as that was a very awkward scene. 

I still think Zach will become a stalker and I can see Stella taking care of Kelly when the show comes back. 

• Love 1
On 2/2/2018 at 11:04 AM, NJRadioGuy said:

Yeah, I was thinking about that too last night. They'd have gone over like a couple of stones. No way that place doesn't have a road or driveway or something on all four sides.

Oooooh. Now I know. They got personal coaching from Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson from "Skyscraper." And this page tackles the same physics.
https://www.boredpanda.com/dwayne-the-rock-johnson-skyscraper-jump-funny-reactions/

8 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

That was not Trudy's daughter. 

Oh I know! I just phrased that incorrectly. I meant Trudy and Annabel were the highlight of this episode. (Annabel = Hermann's daughter).

• Love 2