Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E13: Cure

Aethera
  • Start Topic

Wow. That ending. Did not see that coming. Given all the crazy stuff that's happened since Emily took over as unit chief, I'd wondered if the higher ups might want to scrutinize her over it at some point, mind, but still. At least Emily has experience with being scrutinized-Strauss wanting her to play mole when she first joined, her interrogation in "It Takes a Village" over her whole Doyle situation-so she should be able to find a way to handle this, too :p.

As for the case, it was interesting, although all the code and cryptogram stuff and whatnot was a bit hard to follow entirely at times. I did love Reid and Garcia working together on cracking everything, though. And the ending was sad.

• Love 3

Didn't they do the same thing with Hotch/Derek that they are doing with Emily/JJ?

Did the idiot writers just remind us of the brain dead decision to write out Emily and JJ that resulted in some truly horrible SLs which the show hasn't recovered from?

What did they do the Aisha Tyler's hair?

I liked Reid figuring out the messages, but the abrupt, "Hey, we know who the killer is," was kind of awkward.

• Love 4

I liked this episode, though I am side eyeing that final scene, because it seems like bad fan fiction from the "Season of JJ". I have to wonder why Rossi wasn't made Acting Chief, but hopefully that will be cleared up next episode. But for now, I'll reserve judgment until we see how this will all play out.

However before that, I thought this episode had an interesting premise and a crap ton of profiling. The BAU actually had to work to determine the unsub, and it wasn't something that should have been freaking obvious to local law enforcement. We didn't know who the unsub was until the team figured it out, and that was a pleasant throwback to earlier seasons. And to my surprise, they didn't rescue the final victim in time, because that doesn't happen very often on this show.

I enjoyed the code breaking between Reid and Penelope. This is the character interplay that I miss from earlier seasons. Penelope was actually tolerable to me, because her smarts were on display and not some contrived cutesy "quirkiness" that got old for me several seasons ago. 

Too bad that Reid wasn't at the autopsy, because he probably could have made a date with that quirky, nerdy assistant. 

So this is probably in my top two for favorite episodes this season. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, ForeverAlone said:

I have to wonder why Rossi wasn't made Acting Chief, but hopefully that will be cleared up next episode. But for now, I'll reserve judgment until we see how this will all play out.

Probably because he'd object if he were offered it :p. Didn't he even talk about how he preferred they picked Emily instead of him when she took over, going on about how he would hate the paperwork that comes with it and all? 

Somebody in the discussion for this episode at SpoilerTV also suggested that if the higher ups' plan is to try and break up the team, maybe they wouldn't pick Rossi to run things because they figure they can just try and use retirement as a reason to get rid of him. 

If higher ups wanted to break up the team, they could just do it. They could just reassign all of the agents to different departments and that would be that. Let's hope this isn't some stupid, drawn out political fight, because I find those stories very yawn inducing. 

• Love 2

True. But yeah, this show loves its hidden motives and mystery agendas, so...:p.

I don't mind some of the internal politics, as I think it can be interesting to see how they deal with that, but yeah, unless it leads to actual separations, it does sometimes feel a bit pointless. But I'm guessing there's going to be more to this than simple "higher ups want to investigate the team" stuff. 

The tone of this episode seemed really off. On the face of it, yes, there was lots of enjoyable profiling, but Reid was just a fact-spouting robot (observation: Matthew must be some kind of genius to be able to say those lines clearly!). I liked that he was smarter than Garcia's computer but he was robot-like in his scene with JJ, too.

And too much Simmons!!! I get that this writer is from Beyond Boredom, and, like last episode he wrote, Blue Angel, he writes for Simmons best, but please! Note to the show: BB is no longer a show, it was cancelled! The BB touch with the AD at the end means this "she's breaking up the team!" drama will go on for a while. The other BB writer has next week's Miasma, where all kinds of angst is apparently going to gel, and I bet there won't be a single thing about Reid's ordeal last season if the AD turns out to be the mole. 

The rationale for the unsub's crime didn't make sense to me; if he was trying to kill his father because he thinks he cheated on his mom and caused her illness, why did he stop stabbing when he saw the girlfriend? Did he realize she loved him? Was he surprised she was there? I got nuthin'. Meanwhile, making JJ the chief is laughable, and I like JJ. They might as well have made Anderson Unit Chief. It would make as much sense. Not looking forward to next week, but will watch with a modicum of hope.

My impression after watching it again, Reid's not robotic, he's pretty engaged, and very smart! Not surprising, I think Matthew could act around almost any robotic writing, if that were the case. Still too much Simmons, though.

Edited by normasm
watched the episode again
  • Love 1

Well, there's the episode, and then there's the ending.

The episode----had promise, until the mastermind behind the ingeniously encrypted messages, hidden inside the corpses of his victims, turned out to be an angry young manchild who we had no reason to believe was any kind of genius at all, let alone able to encrypt those messages in the first place, nor certain that they would be found (unless he watches Criminal Minds).  I could not follow JJ's approach to him in the interrogation room, so may have to watch that part again.  She said something about being able to relate, and then pushed the kid on the father's cheating and I thought, 'are they really going to go there with Will?'  But they didn't, at least not yet, so I still don't know why she related to the situation. 

I usually love when Reid is able to display his skills, but it took all of about 30 seconds for him to do his thing this time, so there was no suspense at all.  The ending felt so hurried and nonsensical that I couldn't help but hear the director shouting---"Hurry up!  We have to get to the JJ thing!"

The JJ thing----the only thing I can come up with is that, for whatever plot is being hatched, Barnes considers JJ the least able and most malleable.  She has generally been the one who does what she's told, so maybe she's the easiest to manipulate.  I do like the idea of Barnes as the mole, but would have to create a whole backstory about why she used her 'moliness' to go after Reid.  Or maybe this is something Barnes and Emily hatched together to draw out the mole, while the BAU is more vulnerable under weaker leadership?  Or, considering AJ's #jeid hashtag that created much speculation (unless she meant #jemily and mistyped---she doesn't post all that much), maybe JJ and Reid will band together to save the day.

Regardless, the first 30 minutes of the episode were okay.  But when it came time to drawing the story together, they lost me.  If the point was to draw out a social media response, I guess they've had some success.

Edited by JMO
  • Love 4
39 minutes ago, JMO said:

The episode----had promise, until the mastermind behind the ingeniously encrypted messages, hidden inside the corpses of his victims, turned out to be written by an angry young manchild who we had no reason to believe was any kind of genius able to encrypt those messages in the first place, nor certain that they would be found (unless he watches Criminal Minds).  I could not follow JJ's approach to him in the interrogation room, so may have to watch that part again.  She said something about being able to relate, and then pushed the kid on the father's cheating and I thought, 'are they really going to go there with Will?'  But they didn't, at least not yet, so I still don't know why she related to the situation. 

I usually love when Reid is able to display his skills, but it took all of about 30 seconds for him to do his thing this time, so there was no suspense at all.  The ending felt so hurried and nonsensical that I couldn't help but hear the director shouting---"Hurry up!  We have to get to the JJ thing!"

The JJ thing----the only thing I can come up with is that, for whatever plot is being hatched, Barnes considers JJ the least able and most malleable.  She has generally been the one who does what she's told, so maybe she's the easiest to manipulate.  I do like the idea of Barnes as the mole, but would have to create a whole backstory about why she used her 'moliness' to go after Reid.  Or maybe this is something Barnes and Emily hatched together to draw out the mole, while the BAU is more vulnerable under weaker leadership?  Or, considering AJ's #jeid hashtag that created much speculation (unless she meant #jemily and mistyped---she doesn't post all that much), maybe JJ and Reid will band together to save the day.

Regardless, the first 30 minutes of the episode were okay.  But when it came time to drawing the story together, they lost me.  If the point was to draw out a social media response, I guess they've had some success.

As usual, you're brilliant, jmo. I think JJ's thing about "relating" had something to do with the covertness of something or other, not cheating spouses.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

Didn't they do the same thing with Hotch/Derek that they are doing with Emily/JJ?

Did the idiot writers just remind us of the brain dead decision to write out Emily and JJ that resulted in some truly horrible SLs which the show hasn't recovered from?

What did they do the Aisha Tyler's hair?

I liked Reid figuring out the messages, but the abrupt, "Hey, we know who the killer is," was kind of awkward.

Well if they did, it sure as hell won't have been the first time. cough,cough 200 cough,cough

3 hours ago, JMO said:

The episode----had promise, until the mastermind behind the ingeniously encrypted messages, hidden inside the corpses of his victims, turned out to be written by an angry young manchild who we had no reason to believe was any kind of genius able to encrypt those messages in the first place, nor certain that they would be found (unless he watches Criminal Minds).  I could not follow JJ's approach to him in the interrogation room, so may have to watch that part again.  She said something about being able to relate, and then pushed the kid on the father's cheating and I thought, 'are they really going to go there with Will?'  But they didn't, at least not yet, so I still don't know why she related to the situation. 

This so much. Although I was pleased at the amount of screen time Reid was getting, along with being pleasantly surprised at finding Garcia a lot more tolerable than I original thought I would, I still felt something was lacking. At first I couldn't put my finger on it but than I happened to think back to the time the 2 of them had worked together in the episode The Fisher King and then I suddenly was able to realize what it was that I felt had been lacking in this episode.

Edited by MMC

well that guest snake is in last night's and the next three episodes so I think this little mini-arc will be resolved by then (fortunately, before the MGG directed ep)... In fact, it makes the titles of the next three episodes kinda make sense now:

Miasma--a stinky mess

Annihilator--gunning for the BAU

Last Gasp--presumably hers. Emily and her team will have this sorted out.

Not looking forward to the month's wait between Miasma and Annihilator :(

Part of me wonders if Prentiss didn't cook this up with her (whatshername again Rhodes?) to draw out the mole. But they haven't even touched on Reid's PTSD, never mind the mole thing, since forever so I'm back to she's the mole and she's been trying to discredit/bring down the BAU etc. But why? 

argh....

well, gonna go console myself with screencapping instead. :D

• Love 2

Reid's interaction with Garcia made me not hate Garcia for two seconds, and that has not happened in years.  However, it also reminded me once again that in the early seasons, all the team members had certain expertise and skills, and they weren't just interchangeable profilers.

• Love 2

As someone who really loves JJ and AJ Cooke for that matter I would love to see her in charge for a few episodes.  She has come a long way and has (more or less) been on the show since the start.  Besides Reid ( who can’t be in charge because of his unfortunate incarceration)  and Garcia she is the longest lasting cast/team member so I would absolutely love to see her in charge for a time.   Like with Morgan I would like to see her struggle for a bit but ultimately succeed but then when things settle down either voluntarily give the job back to Emily or have someone new take over.   

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

As someone who really loves JJ and AJ Cooke for that matter I would love to see her in charge for a few episodes.  She has come a long way and has (more or less) been on the show since the start.  Besides Reid ( who can’t be in charge because of his unfortunate incarceration)  and Garcia she is the longest lasting cast/team member so I would absolutely love to see her in charge for a time.   Like with Morgan I would like to see her struggle for a bit but ultimately succeed but then when things settle down either voluntarily give the job back to Emily or have someone new take over.   

I was going to say that this would never be possible seeing as Garcia isn't even an agent let alone a Profiler. But than I remembered how EM and her writers have never really let that fact like stop them before when it comes to writing for Garcia. And then I realized I couldn't put it past them not to do something as ridiculous as putting Garcia in charge.

Edited by MMC
43 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Reid was wrongfully imprisoned and fully exonerated, or he wouldn't still be an SSA. But to your point, I don't think Reid would want to be in charge. Or maybe he would, maybe he would be gobsmacked to be trying to step into Hotch's gargantuan shoes and lead! Stranger things have happened to people as they grow up. But I think JJ would not want the job, either. In Devil's Backbone, whatshername told JJ she was ambitious for the top spot; now, she was mostly trying to foment discord in the ranks, but JJ looked like she felt her mind was being read. If it wasn't a disaster (her being temp boss) it might just be the way to go from here on out, or, as you say, she would step aside as Morgan did. :::don't kill me:::

Edited by normasm
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, MMC said:

I was going to say that this would never be possible seeing as Garcia isn't even an agent let alone a Profiler. But than I remembered how EM and her writers have never really let that fact like stop them before when it comes to writing for Garcia. And then I realized I couldn't put it past them not to do something as ridiculous as putting Garcia in charge.

Well Garcia is in a completely different department so unless the writers do some serious vodoo I don’t see even them thinking putting Garcia in charge as feesible.  

And of course Reid was innocent but he is still on what amounts to limited duty.  There is no way anyone would put him in charge at this juncture.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

agreed norm. But I think they may well have overlooked Reid because he's still (apparently, allegedly, who knows???) undergoing treatment/recovering from PTSD. As such, would not be particularly open to being unit chief. And, if what I'm thinking is correct (that they picked JJ in particular because they felt she'd be vulnerable to manipulation by this Barnes person), they wouldn't wanna be responsible for possibly harming the still-vulnerable-due-to-PTSD Reid. 

if that made sense.

• Love 2

Who wrote this?  I thought the dialog was distractingly clunky and overly dramatic.  Rossi uttering the words, "This unsub will remain in the shadow of the night" had me rolling my eyes.  I felt bad for the actors.  And us.

I hated ninjaJJ for several seasons, partly due to how she was written and partly due to how she was portrayed.  She's been toned down for the past couple of seasons, and I've found her tolerable.  The end of this episode does not bode well.  I hope  they resist their urges to make her an all-knowing super ninja again.

Could we possibly have one episode where Garcia turns to the team and says, "Sorry, I've got nothing.  I guess you guys are going to just need to use your profiling skills to solve this one"?

• Love 7

Too bad that Reid wasn't at the autopsy, because he probably could have made a date with that quirky, nerdy assistant. 

I really liked the nerdy assistant. I find her more interesting than Simmons and she only had 4 lines. 

I was also pleasantly surprised that they didn’t make it in time to save the last victim. It might be the most plausible thing about the whole episode. 

I’m not sure I follow the COTW but I can’t be bothered to rewatch. I can’t believe they want to revisit Ninja!JJ again. I actually enjoyed JJ in the earlier seasons as the media liaison. I’ve never really been able to buy her as a profiler so making the leap to BAU chief does not sound believable to me. 

• Love 4

I like Simmons. I think he could be Acting unit chief, since he’s new and therefore objective. Of course I never watched more than the first two episodes of Beyond Borders. 

JJ and Reid dont want the job. Garcia can’t handle the coordination and relationship with local officials and Departments.  Nor can she handle field duties beyond her computer. 

Luke is too action oriented. Tara cant show up two weeks in a row. Plus I dislike her immensely. 

If they are doing this to move Paget out of the show again, I will hate it. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 5
On 1/25/2018 at 1:39 PM, Chaos Theory said:

Agreed. Aside from some of the other reasons people have mentioned as to why she got picked, there's also the fact that she has experience dealing with bureaucratic issues (I think she even said as much in an episode back in the early seasons, about how it's all bureaucratic paperwork or something to that effect), and she tends to be very organized and no-nonsense business-minded, and knows how to keep things under control. When watching "In Name and Blood" once, I noticed that JJ essentially was leading the team when they were in Milwaukee. Yes, Strauss was there, but as a watchdog. JJ, meanwhile, was trying to balance dealing with her and mediating Strauss' relationship with the officers and whatnot, and she was the most focused on the case (Morgan was worried about Hotch and Reid was worried about Gideon, and of course Hotch and Emily weren't there for a good portion of it). So yeah, it's not official experience, per se, but she knows how to keep things running, which is obviously a good skill for a unit chief to have. 

On 1/25/2018 at 8:24 AM, JMO said:

The episode----had promise, until the mastermind behind the ingeniously encrypted messages, hidden inside the corpses of his victims, turned out to be an angry young manchild who we had no reason to believe was any kind of genius at all, let alone able to encrypt those messages in the first place, nor certain that they would be found (unless he watches Criminal Minds).

Yeah, the ending didn't quite work for me, either. All this mystery and cryptic coded messages and a shady-dressed unsub boils down to a guy who can't deal with his parents' divorce? Eh. If you're going to do a case like that, give us a motive with a little more oomph to it. 

I like all of these theories. Especially the idea that Barnes could actually be working with Emily, simply because it would be nice to have her on the team's side instead of threatening to ruin them. But yes, Barnes being the mole would be interesting to explore, too.

I didn't even see AJ's #jeid hashtag thing until after the episode aired and I saw people discussing it online, so I missed the whole initial kerfuffle with it. But it'd be cool if that hashtag was referring to some good interaction between them throughout this whole arc, yes :). 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 2

letter-c.png

(Aside: you know, I wonder where the C's left arm sticks out...maybe it's a hybrid "tongue-arm" that's always sticking out of his mouth. Or maybe I think about animated characters a bit too much)

If it wasn't for that ending- for both JJ's bookend and the case- this very much would have gone into the "F" pile. Talk about your missed opportunities.

I first thought the concept was very interesting- an "honour killer" who wanted to create a movement where he sees the power brokers as the "disease" where only he is "The Cure". Something like that is a wonderful idea that one could easily make a book about, or even an entire series.

With someone who's out to cleanse society of its ills, you really could start asking questions about "who really is the 'bad guy' "? Certainly a serial killer who targets those who harm society could make a riveting arc for this series.

Maybe even one that culminates in Episode 300.

...but, no, we just had to have yet another UnSub with family issues. I won't get into them because by now, they're all the same.

Erica, can we stop having childhood trauma or scorned children or dysfunctional families as a reason for these killings? It's, um, overkill at this stage.

The only thing I will credit is that this episode actually had the UnSub complete his task, instead of the BAU stopping him at the last minute. So I have to give the show credit for creating a bad guy who outsmarted the BAU and got to finish his endgame.

It still doesn't make up for about thirty minutes of a missed opportunity and the same recycled story this show likes to tell. Imagination isn't a thing in the hallways of CM these days.

Which brings me to Emily Prentiss.

...uh...

...erm...

...um...

...er...

How many different ways can I say "I did not see that coming?"

Prentiss has been involved in some weird stuff- the guy who killed himself in "False Flag" as well as being kidnapped by Mr. Scratch and that whole business with Reid in jail- but I didn't think I saw anything that merited Prentiss' relief of duty. Usually there are more signs sprinkled throughout the season of such a move, so kudos to the CM staff for truly pulling the rug from underneath us.

Problem is, I haven't been invested enough in this show to care and, while this turn of events is shocking, I'm not really at the edge of my seat as I was when Hotch had his problems, because the show was much better then.

I mean, I hope this storyline has some juice, and it looks like it could.

...but, I do think I know how it will end. The scheming Assistant Director will be exposed to have done some shady things by the BAU, forcing the Assistant Director's resignation and getting Prentiss back into the Unit Chief's chair.

Unless Prentiss is leaving the show again, which would be only another groaner. How many times does CM want to have this dance with Emily Prentiss and Paget Brewster where she's in and then out and then in again...seriously?

Also at fault is that this schemer is someone we've never met before. How can I care for a character I've never met before? Should I care about her just because she's nixing Prentiss' career for her own gain?

Besides...where's Mateo Cruz in all this? Shouldn't he have a say in what happens to Prentiss?

I really think something like this should have at least been a season finale cliffhanger, like what happened with Erin Strauss. Then there could at least be some mystery about whether or not Prentiss returns to the team.

Right now, the only way this story works is in a multi-episode arc, because that's what this deserves. I'm not sure we'll get that.

So I have some restrained optimism at this development. This show will tell me how it will go.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

I really think something like this should have at least been a season finale cliffhanger, like what happened with Erin Strauss. Then there could at least be some mystery about whether or not Prentiss returns to the team.

As of this point, I have seen absolutely no whispers of Paget leaving the cast.  These shows are filmed several episodes in advance of broadcast, so if Emily was truly GONE, the secret would be out by now.  Gibson was kicked out but appeared in several more episodes before the shows already "in the can" played out, and if this were a scheme by TPTB to permanently remove PB, that news would have been all over social media by now.

So, I'll bet the farm that by the end of this story arc, Emily will be back in charge and the team returns to normal...I hope.

• Love 3

actually, paget just tweeted a reply to this very question from a fan who asked if someone (read: she) was leaving. Her reply was an emphatic "Are you kidding me? ! We all love our fans"  

girl got no plan to leave.

I think it'll come down to that assistant director being some sort of baddie. She did say 'pending internal review'. That could mean like, one episode, :)

• Love 4
4 hours ago, ReidFan said:

actually, paget just tweeted a reply to this very question from a fan who asked if someone (read: she) was leaving. Her reply was an emphatic "Are you kidding me? ! We all love our fans"  

girl got no plan to leave.

I think it'll come down to that assistant director being some sort of baddie. She did say 'pending internal review'. That could mean like, one episode, :)

It *better* mean one episode!

• Love 1

Well, isn't Kim Rhodes, or whatever her name is, featured in 4 episodes, starting last week? I imagine this week, the 31st, will end in a cliffy, so that we'll all come back in March ready to get her!

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, normasm said:

Well, isn't Kim Rhodes, or whatever her name is, featured in 4 episodes, starting last week? I imagine this week, the 31st, will end in a cliffy, so that we'll all come back in March ready to get her!

I didn’t pay attention to the credits and I didn’t recognise the actress (shows how much attention I was paying to this episode) but hey, that’s the mom from The Suite Life of Zack and Cody. I clearly did not watch Beyond Borders. Now I think I’ll be able to enjoy this arc more by pretending the whole thing was one giant crossover. 

• Love 1

I meant a crossover between CM and Suite Life of Zack and Cody, not CM and Beyond Borders. I wouldn’t want to watch anything to do with Beyond Borders. 

While I’m on the topic of mid-00s kid’s shows, I would really enjoy an encounter between Spencer Reid and Spencer Shay (of iCarly). Ha, I just remembered Jane Lynch guest starred as Sam’s mom on iCarly. 

I enjoy CM so much more these days when I watch it as a comedy and not, you know, and an actual procedural about profiling. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, idiotwaltz said:

I didn’t pay attention to the credits and I didn’t recognise the actress (shows how much attention I was paying to this episode) but hey, that’s the mom from The Suite Life of Zack and Cody. I clearly did not watch Beyond Borders. Now I think I’ll be able to enjoy this arc more by pretending the whole thing was one giant crossover. 

As long as it's all narrated by the Dog With A Blog I'm so in.

Ah! Hahahahaha, idiot! I know nothing about the mid-00s kid shows, I'll take your word for it. Perhaps they can do the musical Criminal Minds at the same time.

Edited by normasm
On 1/26/2018 at 10:59 PM, Racbec said:

Who wrote this?  I thought the dialog was distractingly clunky and overly dramatic.  Rossi uttering the words, "This unsub will remain in the shadow of the night" had me rolling my eyes.  I felt bad for the actors.  And us.

I choked on my drink at that line, truly awful. Cape swirling, moustache twirling level awful.

Edited by Kelda Feegle
added

Guys what is going on i feel like they haven't made an actual profile this whole season! there was a point this episode where Reid and Garcia are like oh the victims son fits the profile- what profile you guys never made one! Its moments like that that I miss Hotch's leadership dudes favorite words were stick to the profile 

Also ugh not more bureau bureaucracy god!