Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E15: Helen Mirren, Liam Neeson, Jamie Dornan, Sigrid

• Start Topic

Graham Norton's guests are Dame Helen Mirren from the supernatural horror film Winchester, the Oscar-nominated actor Liam Neeson, who stars in the action thriller The Commuter, and Jamie Dornan, who stars in Fifty Shades Freed, the final part of the erotic trilogy. Singer-songwriter Sigrid performs her song Strangers.

I remember first reading about their relationship years ago in an interview Neeson did in 1999.  It was fun to see them together and Liam talking about when he first saw her on the set of Excalibur and she was dressed in that sexy Morgana outfit and he was just gobsmacked. It's nice to see their still friends.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 4
On 15.1.2018 at 11:31 PM, dubbel zout said:

Oooh, Mirren and Neeson were a couple ages ago, and that should be fun to watch.

It is - that was a great couch. I was really surprised when Graham announced the musical act. The time was definitely flying by. Mirren and Neeson were so charming together and to my big surprise Dornan provided the funniest story of the evening.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, attica said:

The Red Chair student's response to Grahams query about her after-graduation plans delighted me.

I know! I loved how Graham immediately understood and apologized. Hee.

Have I been so blinded by Liam Neeson being the Sequoia of Sex (™ New Yorker review of him in Anna Christie years ago) not to notice he's actually kind of a bore? Because he was a snooze on the couch, especially when he told Sigrid to eat properly and get lots of rest. Okay, Grandpa.

That said, his story about seeing the queen (Helen Mirren, of course) for the first time was adorable, and I liked that there still seems to be some warmth and affection between them after all these years.

Jamie Dornan was very likable. The "owl in the towel" bit with his daughter was so funny. I've seen him only in The Fall series, in which he's excellently creepy, and the lamentable 50 Shades movies, where he's hilariously terrible. He's still a bit dismissive about those, and I think he needs to totally own them. They're really stupid, but he got amazing exposure (even though he's not fully nude; LOL) from them. He sounds kind of ungrateful when he gets all embarrassed about them. (The James Bond moment story was good, though.)

• Love 2

I liked the three actors, as well as the singer, but I too was a bit disappointed. For one thing, I couldn't always understand Jamie, and sometimes people spoke over each other, like Mirren did, so that added to my incomprehension. 

I didn't know Mirren and Neeson had been a couple, so that was interesting. I enjoyed Neeson's story about first glimpsing her. I also liked the little comments here and there from Mirren to Neeson, like, "You remember..." alluding to when they were together.

Dornan was rather charming. I liked how embarrassed he seemed by the Fifty Shades movies and his whole sex symbol thing. I've only seen him in The Fall, in which he was very good.

I visited Winchester House over 40 years ago, so I'm interested in the movie for that reason. Otherwise, I'm not.

• Love 1

I don’t usually have a problem with accents (it helps to know two languages) so I was surprised I had to rewind many times to understand Jamie.  I agree he was charming, though I haven’t watched anything he’s in—never was interested in any of the 50 shades stuff. 

I like Mirren and Neesom, so I enjoyed this couch. The first red chair was adorable. 

On 2/3/2018 at 2:30 PM, dubbel zout said:

Have I been so blinded by Liam Neeson being the Sequoia of Sex (™ New Yorker review of him in Anna Christie years ago) not to notice he's actually kind of a bore? Because he was a snooze on the couch, especially when he told Sigrid to eat properly and get lots of rest. Okay, Grandpa.

Yes, he's such a Dad. That - and saying he couldn't watch the 50 Shades movies because he'd known Dakota Johnson as a toddler - charmed the heck out of me.  He's not the wittiest man on a couch, but he seems awfully decent, and that means a lot to me.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 12
On 1/19/2018 at 10:28 PM, VCRTracking said:

I remember first reading about their relationship years ago in an interview Neeson did in 1999.  It was fun to see them together and Liam talking about when he first saw her on the set of Excalibur and she was dressed in that sexy Morgana outfit and he was just gobsmacked. It's nice to see their still friends.

So I did an image search, thinking to post one here - but hoo boy, there are a few outfits that are a bit...well, revealing more than usual. Of those that weren't, I couldn't decide if they were looking at the spiderwebby dress, or the metal bra outfit. Any of them would leave them gobsmacked.

• Love 1

Students in the hard-core liberal arts are stereotypically unfit for the real-world job market, and figuring out how one translates a French/History major into practical (i.e. non-academic) employment stymies even the cleverest of students. (NOT THAT I'D KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS OR ANYTHING) The red-chair girl's stammering non-response to the question indicated that she hadn't yet grappled with her future choices. Graham grokked that and took back the question so as not to cause her undue grief when she was just there to tell a story.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, attica said:

(NOT THAT I'D KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS OR ANYTHING)

LOL. I might have experience with that. Of course, I ended up in probably the second most stereotypical job for English majors: editor/copy editor. (Biggest stereotype: You'll become a teacher. Uh, no, because most states require an education degree of some sort.)

• Love 1

As soon as someone identifies as a liberal arts student Graham turns into a bloodhound on a promising trail - if there's a posh accent he shows no mercy. Not that I mind - he's been doing this for long enough that people should know and come prepared.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 3