Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E02: Fill’er Up

Diane Mars
  • Start Topic

While I think this is one of the more intricate challenges they've ever had, and well suited for this group of talented artists (though maybe not THIS soon), am I the only person looking at some of these "mazes" and wanting to put a ball in there and shake it down to the end like those plastic games (us older people) had as kids?  No?  Just me?  That's ok, I've had a bad day, so something has to cheer me up!  Personally, I would have wanted an Alice In Wonderland maze, with some red roses, the Queen, maybe some Cards and a Cheshire Cat, if it wasn't too much...............;)

• Love 3

Wow. Quite a decrease in quality all around from last week. The amount of over-the-shoulder mentoring/micromanaging seemed to put everyone off their game.

I've taken to Deanna and was very worried for her!

• Love 4

I really liked the idea of this challenge, but if I have to listen to Sparks, is it? and DJ scream at each other every week it is going to be a looooooooong season.  I get that they have to have some drama, but maybe it could be organic and just lower the volume a bit.  You could see how uncomfortable some of the other artists were......

• Love 4

The producers just need to go back to the basics. This season of Ink Master is going to suck because the coaches are going to be biased in favor of their teammates. Under the Gunn was considered the worst spin-off of Project Runway, so why would Spike (soon to be Paramount) want to plagiarize it?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, sourpickles said:

I really liked the idea of this challenge, but if I have to listen to Sparks, is it? and DJ scream at each other every week it is going to be a looooooooong season. 

I know but I was fully Team Sparks in that argument.  DJ is more than a little overbearing and bossy--it's cool to make suggestions but directing Sparks to alter his vision was out of line.  

I guess I don't know shit about tats because I really liked that lion that they kept ripping.  

• Love 9
37 minutes ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

I know but I was fully Team Sparks in that argument.  DJ is more than a little overbearing and bossy--it's cool to make suggestions but directing Sparks to alter his vision was out of line.  

I guess I don't know shit about tats because I really liked that lion that they kept ripping.  

Yeah, I get it.  Wonder if DJ is just reacting to being a leader now, cause let's face it, Bubba was in charge most of the time last season.  IDK, but all that YELLING!  I guess it was a bad team pick!  I tend to disagree with the judges a lot, and I did this week too, there were many I liked that they did not.  I've gotta go find some close up picks on Facebook or whatever, but I liked the stained glass lion, I liked the passageway (crumbled or not) and I liked several others.  I even liked the unlined red roses, though maybe not for this challenge.  It was different, for sure.  I actually disagreed with the winner, wasn't my style and seemed light to me, but with the linework they were looking for, ok.  Oh!  And the compass.  I loved that.  All in the opinion!

• Love 1

Last week when they were choosing teams, I was wondering how long it would take for DJ's ego/abrasive personality to interfere. Guess I didn't have to wait long.

Hope Sparks isn't long for this world (even though I'm on his side in his little slap fight with DJ). He had no business winning his episode of Angels. They made a big deal of the arms on the dragon being anatomically backwards, but I couldn't get past the fact that this soldier has a backwards foot:

medium-clean.jpg

• Love 2

I thought Sparks showed the most creativity and talent of all the Angels contestants. I also think it's up to the artists to sink or swim on their own. It'll suck to be the good tattooer eliminated because your coach led you wrong. I think they should take advice and input, but not be slaves to their coaches. It's not like football where the coach calls run or pass every play and the athlete has to execute the plan decided on. This should be more mentoring and then letting the artist do his/her thing. More like a literary agent giving a novelist notes, rather than rewriting the whole book for him.

Also, I loved there was no screaming and fighting and drama in episode 1. So, of course, episode 2 opens with an extended sequence of bickering and then there were several more during the show like always. Oh well. The suckage returns. At least it's easy to Fast-Forward through.

I can't disagree with who went home. Those lines were bad. The circle wasn't a circle. Nothing was even or consistent. Sure, it looked passable from four feet away, but, that's not the point of a Fundamentals challenge. If your fundamentals are solid, you should be able to hold it under a microscope and see it perfect. 

Edited by Charlesman
  • Love 2

I think it was a bad idea for the most experienced artists to pick DJ, the most controlling team leader. Anthony would probably be the guy who would give them competitive advice related to the show itself, while letting them have their creative freedom. We saw DJ's micromanagement last season. It should have been a warning. They made their own bed there. 

On the other hand, the very inexperienced would typically be better with Steve or DJ. Someone like Cutie de Silva is just talented enough that it doesn't matter, so Anthony was a good choice. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

I think it was a bad idea for the most experienced artists to pick DJ, the most controlling team leader. 

Somewhere a producer is thrilled that this happened. Alphas are always drawn to other alphas. Until they realize there can only be one king of the hill, then the bromance dies a violent death. I have a sad feeling that episode two is only the tip of the iceberg. Which means more drama filled arguments on the couch or around the pool table, and less focus on tattoos. Such a shame. 

• Love 7

Happy with the winning tat.

@sourpickles I paused each and every maze on my screen to see if I could work through them! Some had no possible solution, some were without direction and some went nowhere. A few I couldn't tell if there was a way through or not.

I would have probably sent the dodgy angel hands lady home but can't disagree with Nunez on the don't cut up the skin philosophy.

• Love 3

This was a case where the judges must have seen something in person that wasn't obvious, for the eliminated tattoo, about the canvas's skin being messed up. I thought the design wasn't bad, although, yeah, the line work was wonky. I probably would have sent either the angel with the crappy hand or the lion home. The lion itself was good, but the maze was poorly integrated and badly done.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Kelda Feegle said:

I paused each and every maze on my screen to see if I could work through them! Some had no possible solution, some were without direction and some went nowhere. A few I couldn't tell if there was a way through or not.

Thank you for this, Kelda Feegle. As a puzzle person, I was very curious about that. I tried to do the mazes while watching, but it was just too fast for me. If I ever got a maze tattoo, I'd demand it be solvable!

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, cherbitrary said:

If I ever got a maze tattoo, I'd demand it be solvable!

Oddly, that was the one thing that WASN'T asked for, right after the kitchen sink and what all else.  Maybe that should have been a challenge rule???

2 hours ago, 2727 said:

Tambe tweets an apology.

Aight.  I'll take it. I do appreciate what he said, but I get super leery of tv stars using the word "humble".  First off, if there are any ANTM fans here as well, Jade Cole, Cycle 6, enough said.  Second, let us refer to the Princess Bride, about that word not meaning what you think it does?  Inconceivable!

• Love 5

The thing that has been bugging the hell out of me is that DJ was from Old Towne Tattoo in Scottsdale, AZ last season, but is from Vegas this season. I know that a lot of the teams weren't really from the same shop last time around, but he was there all season being called Old Towne, which is a specific area in that horribly snobby city. Ink Master thought that I wasn't paying attention. Hahaha 

On 1/18/2018 at 2:12 PM, 2727 said:

Tambe tweets an apology.

I just wish someone would have proofread his tweet before he sent it.

"I shouldn't of allowed..." Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!

I think he's super talented, but not using a verb in a sentence? What is that? I freely admit that I assume that someone who makes their living by making sure that every detail is perfect would also be someone to double check their spelling or grammar before sending out any type of communication. Just like tattoos, the internet is forever.

"I shouldn't HAVE allowed..."  OK. I'm jumping off of my grammar police soapbox now.

Keeping it positive, I saw some beautiful art in the episode! I hear what the canvas asks for and wonder "what does that even mean?" and these amazing artists bring even the craziest of ideas to lige.

I wonder if the fighting will escalate to the point that the producers will have to call an audible, resulting in someone being traded to a new team? Maybe that will be a "surprise twist" for a challenge down the line when the Alpha Males all want to riot?

• Love 2