Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09 Recast and S01.E10

Jane flees town for her own protection while Bird continues to work the case. Meanwhile, Ali tries to keep the peace with Pete; and Red’s identity is revealed.

then . . .

Jane finds herself in immediate danger when the kidnapper’s identity is discovered. Bird’s investigation connects him to new evidence that leads to a shocking confrontation. Meanwhile, Ali reveals a secret to Pete; and Tom has to make a choice between family and his career.

Throughout it all, Jane will have the bad hair of one too frazzled for FrizzEaze. 

• Love 3

I was starting to think the CPS worker was behind it. Lake is experiencing trauma? No shit she probably knew people were killed, drugged multiple times, was kidnapped twice, and stuffed into trunk. Lake is afraid of her mother? She has literally been clinging to her or even laughing with her since she was rescued. 

Also, the guilt trip everyone was putting on Jane for "leaving" Lake. She was as close or closer than many people are to their kids room. Sure getting high not a good look but also not the reason she was taken. And are we supposed to just ignore the fact that these corrupt cops just were able to piggyback on a completely seperate kidnapping of Lake?

Perhaps if Jane had actually told Lake WTF was going on the show would have ended quicker. I mean she is a child but she has kept her shit together better than anyone else on this show. 

One glaring error that leads me to believe they had two endings on which Gomez was responsible and edited in the wrong Lake scene was she was insistent that the man was wearing a suit but in her memory he was clearly not wearing a suit, just pants and an outside jacket. All other references to specific culpability in the murders and kidnapping just said Gomez, even on "Red's" phone it just said Gomez.

I wonder about the mother that allowed her child to go unsupervised to a home of a child that had just been kidnapped.

On the plus side bloodied and with her hair pulled back was the best Jane's hair looked, I guess during the predrowning flashback it looked okay.

God everyone on this show sucked and was poorly written but at least they let those of us who were gluttens for punishment follow it to its boring and convuleted end complete with a ridiculous dinner date invite.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4
7 HOURS AGO, WALNUTQUEEN SAID:

Nary a redemption nor an excuse to be found for this profoundly sad waste of my time, and everyone else's. Le sigh.

Each episode should've begun with a warning text:
Viewers advised to engage in ironing or other meaningful activity while watching.

When "Red" parked the car at the top of the bluff, got out of the car, and ordered the now uncuffed Jane to get out, the Jane we had come to know would have slid over into the driver's seat and somehow* stared the car and driven off. But then they would've needed at least another episode to wrap it up, so, thankfully that didn't happen.

*the keys would have been left in the ignition, or it would have been product placement for a push button starting car, or it would have been a manual transmission that she could've  put it in neutral and been able to roll downhill until the engine was turning enough to pop the clutch and vroom off.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, wellread said:

A complete time waster, but at least we got to see Jane with her hair combed in the last few scenes!

Cold comfort.  

I don't regret a single cancer stick I've sucked on, that has purportedly shortened my lifespan by decades, yet I bitterly resent the almost 10 hours of my precious life I wasted on this drivel.

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 3

Jane thinks back to being terrified that her stepdad(?) tried to drown her.  Then she tells Lake she named her that because she loves water.  Huh?  Why would you love water if one of your bad memories was someone trying to drown you?

I guess they tried to wrap it up for us.  I was one of the few that did stick to the end to watch this.  But it really was a mess of a show.

• Love 5

I can only hope the show within a show was better formulated, more coherent and less circuitous than this show.  What a waste of talent this became.  There were excellent actors thrown a storyline that circled around on itself so much it was strangled by the end.  I was happy to see a female lead on a network show; Kyra Sedgwick can carry a show.  And I was happy to see Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje.  He was excellent on Oz back in the day. 

And yet this show was like a vortex drawing in every possible extraneous storyline.   Jane was abused as a child and her mother didn't believe her, so she always believes Lake.  Lake's father is Jane's brother-in-law.  Jane's sister is having trouble conceiving but finds out she's pregnant during the last episode.  John Bird's son is frustrated by his father spending so much time at work.  Gomez's brother is a politician.  Bird's partner, "Red" is a lesbian whose partner is disabled.  Jane's coworkers are either very supportive or a nest of vipers trying to take her down.  Jane uses drugs.  Her ex is clean and sober, or is he?  Jane's ex is in a sexual relationship with her assistant.  Her assistant's sister is unstable and willing to kidnap a small child.  And then there's the whole convoluted police corruption/killing a witness/cover up.  How the heck did all of this get packed into 10 episodes and who thought it would make sense?   

• Love 8
21 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Was it ever explained how "Red" even found the already-kidnapped-Lake in order to re-kidnap her? 

Didn't Bird call in that they were headed there? Any cop would have access to that intel.

1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

Didn't Bird call in that they were headed there? Any cop would have access to that intel.

So did "Red" just kill Kasey (was that her name?) and (I think) Kasey's brother-in-law? And Kasy's psycho-kidnapper sister didn't get killed or prosecuted for kidnapping because she just wasn't there? Some criminals have all the luck.

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:15 AM, shapeshifter said:

Viewers advised to engage in ironing or other meaningful activity while watching.

When "Red" parked the car at the top of the bluff, got out of the car, and ordered the now uncuffed Jane to get out, the Jane we had come to know would have slid over into the driver's seat and somehow* stared the car and driven off. But then they would've needed at least another episode to wrap it up, so, thankfully that didn't happen.

*the keys would have been left in the ignition, or it would have been product placement for a push button starting car, or it would have been a manual transmission that she could've  put it in neutral and been able to roll downhill until the engine was turning enough to pop the clutch and vroom off.

Considering that Jane came up behind Red, at the very least I expected Jane to shove her over the cliff.  Jane sure knows how to take a licking and keep on ticking.  I feel no bitterness about the show for some reason.  I marathoned the first four, the next two, and then the last four.  So I just watched when I was in the mood and it worked out.

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:56 AM, LakeGal said:

Jane thinks back to being terrified that her stepdad(?) tried to drown her.  Then she tells Lake she named her that because she loves water.  Huh?  Why would you love water if one of your bad memories was someone trying to drown you?

I guess they tried to wrap it up for us.  I was one of the few that did stick to the end to watch this.  But it really was a mess of a show.

Did he try to drown Jane?  I was under the impression that he was molesting her, and pushed her head under to subdue her, or was simply too busy being a filthy pervert to ensure she wasn't drowning.

Erika Christensen (Ali) is the only one I halfway liked on this show.  I LOL'ed SO FUCKING HARD at the end when Bird said to Jane (about "Internal") - "It's not your fault some of it's true."  LOLOLOLOL to the end of days.  OK, so I get they had watched a scene being filmed that was not mirroring the casita raids for once, but Jane absolutely copied basically everything else in every prior episode of "Internal."  That was the whole fucking reason she had a target on her back, Bird!!!  Also LOL'ed when Bird was like, "I'm not sure if you're a new song I've never heard before, or the same old song," with a little smile. All I could think was, "oh yes, Bird, she wants to distract you, so you don't get that she's going to copy everything you tell her from now on about your cases for season 2 of "Internal." (It did appear that she got her job back, or else why was she on the closed set?)

The climax with one of the Gomezes going down was so lame. I mean, I didn't want to see a hail of bullets or anything, but it was not satisfying.  For at least one guy (let's assume Chris didn't have anything to do with this? ...) who went to great lengths to kidnap a child and manage the casita storyline becoming public, he sure went down in 30 seconds of talking. I also thought it was EXTREMELY dumb of him to go off on Jane and Bird on his doorstep because he had no idea if they were wearing a wire or recording the conversation.

This is the kind of poorly executed show that makes me look up the creator/showrunner to decide if I should give them a break because I like their other work or put them on my list of producers to potentially avoid because the execution is so bad. Well, she did Rookie Blue, which I know many people liked, but I never watched it so have no idea.  Though that does explain the brief Missy Peregrym cameos.

How in the fuck did Tom publish his article so fast?  I get that Dash News works (ahem) quickly, but he didn't have any real time to fact check that article.  And as Bird pointed out in the hospital with Jane and Ali, that recording from Quinn/Gus could have all been lies.  Just because Tom heard part of the tape doesn't mean he had credible sources.  I suppose he could have written the article after Gomez was arrested, which he could have heard about if it made the evening news that quickly, but at that point, he's not breaking the story - someone else has. I'm going to assume he didn't fact-check anything and just rushed to publish.  Would Missy Peregrym allow this??  It could also have actually killed his career (if the tape ended up to be, in fact, lies.)  Good job, Tom.  Enjoy not being a father to the child you know exists and the one you're not aware of.  I'll kind of give him a pass on not connecting the dots himself about Lake being allegedly premature, but not presenting AT ALL like a premature baby when she was born.  He must have known he and Jane had sex nine months before Lake was born, but I don't think all men in their early 30s (guessing on Tom's age 8 years ago) know that much about babies.

What I would have enjoyed is if the show went nuts and made Casey's sister the surrogate of Casey's egg + Pete's sperm (that Casey got from, like, a used condom).  So when she gives birth in prison after being sentenced for accessory to Lake's first kidnapping, Pete can have another chance to be a good, present, sober dad.  I mean, Casey didn't have money to do surrogacy, so that couldn't happen, but another nutso paternity/pregnancy storyline would have made me laugh.

Finally, Lake always looked a lot more like Casey than anyone else.  Not that Casey was actually her mother.  OR WAS SHE???

I just typed/thought way more than this show deserves ...

• Love 1

Wait, so who was behind it all? The BIL was the kid's real father? someone here predicted that. 

I've had the worst week of my life, not including losing my mother, so I'm sorry for just asking, rather than watching. I tried last night, but I couldn't concentrate and fell asleep.

4 hours ago, Anela said:

Wait, so who was behind it all? The BIL was the kid's real father? someone here predicted that. 

I've had the worst week of my life, not including losing my mother, so I'm sorry for just asking, rather than watching. I tried last night, but I couldn't concentrate and fell asleep.

❤️
Basically: Bird's female partner was the mysterious "Red" (as was her brand of cigarettes that she was trying to quit) who had been a dirty cop and so became the henchwoman for the Hispanic brother who was also a dirty (high ranking) cop. His political brother seems to have not known about the corruption, kidnapping, murders, etc.

"Red" re-kidnapped Lake from Jane's husband's girlfriend & family, then "Red" framed Jane's informant/lover for the kidnapping and briefly Jane got caught in the web.

Bird and Jane rescued Lake.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

❤️
Basically: Bird's female partner was the mysterious "Red" (as was her brand of cigarettes that she was trying to quit) who had been a dirty cop and so became the henchwoman for the Hispanic brother who was also a dirty (high ranking) cop. His political brother seems to have not known about the corruption, kidnapping, murders, etc.

"Red" re-kidnapped Lake from Jane's husband's girlfriend & family, then "Red" framed Jane's informant/lover for the kidnapping and briefly Jane got caught in the web.

Bird and Jane rescued Lake.

Thank you! 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

His political brother seems to have not known about the corruption,

He knew about the corruption and was corrupt himself he just didn't know about the kidnapping and murders.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

If I am reading a book and it goes off the rails for me or I just can't with the story any longer I will skip to the end.  I watched about 15 minutes of Episode 9 and then went right to the last 15 minutes of the 10th episode.  I love Kyra Sedgwick but Jane was such an unlikable, smug character I could not stand her at the end.  And I wanted to fix her hair through all 10 episodes!  I am not sure how she got suckered in to being the Executive Producer.  Then again I am not sure how much an Executive Producer has to do with a show.  Maybe she didn't read the script until the end?

And Shapeshifter was right:  

The episodes that were the easiest to get through were the ones where I was doing something else at the same time.

• Love 1