Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Karl

Fred Armisen ("Portlandia," "Saturday Night Live") and Leighton Meester ("Gossip Girl") Guest-Star.

Tandy and Todd stumble upon a new survivor, Karl (Armisen), who has been trapped in a high-security prison in Mexico ever since the virus hit.

Edited by GRChereck

Fred Armisen is a serial killer. Wait, this is a character? He pulled it off pretty well. And he's somehow immune to The Virus because he touched a guy that died from it and didn't catch it.

I really felt for the security guard. He finds the sign that the gang left...and then he gets killed. Damn.

Martin Short and oh crap, he's dead.

Next week: oh shit. He's gonna die, but man, that's definitely gonna change things up.

• Love 1

The Martin Short cameo threw me for a loop. xD Poor guy...

Another episode in the "Pitch Black"/"Got Milk?" mode, but having the central character be a creepy serial killer was certainly different, and I thought Fred did a pretty good job portraying Karl Cowperthwaite's mildly goofy awkwardness as well as his violent urges. Also, I thought the stuff with the guard was quite poignant. 

• Love 3

Karl is a horrible date -- describing the boil on your ass, soup to share, wanting to paint your date a la Jack and Rose from Titanic.  His date was right to fake the sick dog.
But it's ok because he is a PPL PERSON (according to his license plates).

Martin Short makes the shortest cameo in the history of TV.  But still, it's Martin Short !!!

So Karl is basically a serial killer version of Tandy.  Maybe we'll luck out and he'll kill Tandy.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

So Karl is basically a serial killer version of Tandy.  Maybe we'll luck out and he'll kill Tandy.

I find Tandy more tolerable these days. Either because he's gotten better, or everyone else has gotten worse. 

• Love 2

Last year (Lol) I was about to stop watching this kindergarten show but that episode arrived just on time to keep my interest. 

If Karl is there for just another episode like the other guests they are going to lose me.  I hope he kills everybody (Or most of them) so the show can have a fresh new start.

I really enjoyed this episode, but I'm biased as I'm a huge SNL fan and Wil's era of SNL is my favorite cast.

I was spoiled for Martin Short, Mary Steenburgen posted a photo on her IG, so of course, random guest star always gets killed right away.

• Love 1

I wasn't spoiled on Short, so I got a huge giggle seeing him. Of course we all knew he would be gone in a flash.

I enjoyed Fred's performance. I love all the characters he's done on Portlandia, too.

My favorite part was the montage of him trying to get over the fence. It reminded me of the Pink Panther movie where Clouseau is trying to get past a moat to the castle. 

• Love 3

Finally got around to catching this one - never been a huge fan of Fred Armisen, and I thought the stand-alone episodes with Kristen Wiig and Jason Sudeikis were better. Still, there were some fairly amusing moments, like all the horrible paintings that looked alike, and Karl insisting he didn't kill anymore while in the process of killing the guard. But the crazy killer infiltrating the group feels like something they did already (which they did).  

• Love 3

As a weird aside, if you get a chance, watch Fred's episode of "finding your roots" on pbs. I have always liked Fred (except for his marriage choice) & the pbs show was terrific.

I do wonder about the quick, nice haircut tho!

I didn't like this episode.  I feel that they are devoting whole episodes to new characters simply because they've run out of ideas for the existing cast.  As Otto said above, Karl is simply a serial killer version of Tandy.  And we really don't need another Tandy.  Can we please just have another "normal" person, please? 

The one part of Karl's story that I liked was the wall with the hundreds of possibilities for the digital lock.  Of course, I'm sure there probably was a bolt cutter or something similar somewhere in the prison he could have used to clip the fence with.

• Love 1

Every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in. The concept episodes like this and Pitch black are much better than the other 95 percent of episodes, which probably isn't a great endorsement of the show, but I LOVED this. 

• Love 2
On 08/01/2018 at 0:05 AM, ottoDbusdriver said:

It would be nice, but sadly I think it will be Karl setting up the bomb with the rubic cube and blowing himself...  I hope not...

Edited by heisenberg
  • Love 1

I had to cover my screen for a large part of it bc I was so squicked out - I do not like violent and gross things on my 'comedy' shows. So, questions:

1) the person Karl painted who called the cops - how did he escape?

2) how did he survive the virus?

3) Why did he bury the guard, if he couldve eaten him?

4) how did the Last People on Earth manage to enter the prison compound without a key? The jail was locked from inside but not outside?