Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I'm really never sure what the writers were thinking with Sara. It just never made any sense. They gave her this whole big backstory with Oliver, gave her this badass training, showed her kicking ass and being awesome, and spent all this time with her, only to kill her off pointlessly to inspire her sister to take her place,

I will always believe they meant for Sara to be their Black Canary.   They did too much toward that for me to believe otherwise.  I'm not sure what went down BTS to make them change back to Laurel, but I think something did.  I'll never believe they brought Sara on, intending to kill her off like they did.

4 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I'd like to know if it's DC who won't let them create a whole new name for what is essentially a new character or if the EPs want to use the names that exist in the comics to give their characters more validity.  (Overwatch is MG's book so I don't see that as counting.)

Same here.  I just don't know.  I mean, how much extra validity does "Spartan" give Diggle? Who even knows who Spartan was in the comics?  But I don't know. *shrug*

• Love 5

I think Sara/White Canary is kind of a special case because they had the actress first and half the character first. It's not like GITS where the character existed as Asian before they cast. They didn't conceive LOT as always having a White Canary then cast CL. I honestly think the thought up "white" because it's the opposite of black and then found out she was an existing character. I agree they should have been more careful though.

I wonder if the whole KC/LL/BC has permanently changed how they do their contracts like Keri Russell's haircut during Felicity. 

26 MINUTES AGO, TENNISGURL SAID:

Sara and Oliver seem to really get each other, in a way that no one else does. Not really in a romantic way, but as really close friends who are always going to be connected, no matter how long they go without seeing each other. I guess I ship them as friends?

I agree, I think treating BC/GA as non romantic soulmates or each other's "person" would have been a brilliant way to translate an epic comic book romance especially one with such gross baggage. As usual, Arrow writers have to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 8
33 minutes ago, Proteus said:

You said Caity as well as they writers are tone deaf, so it sounds like you're blaming her.

She's tone deaf because of some of the stuff she says on twitter. Not about being WC. Sorry for not being more clear.

Edited by wonderwall

I don't think it was DC that had any issues with Sara, they gave CL a bunch of BC stuff when she was cast and Geoff Johns said he loved Sara and called her Black Canary at SDCC. I think the issue was because of KC and her contract. Otherwise i think they would've kept Sara as BC, because they spent so much time on her.

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4

They should have made Sara Black Canary, but if they couldn't do that and they couldn't let her stay just Canary, then they should have made her the Grey Canary. It fits her story better, doesn't sound as dumb as most of the other options, and, on a superficial note, her current costume would look so much better if it was dark grey instead of that weird off white. 

• Love 3

I think too they meant to have and keep Sara as BC (and probably write LL off the show) because they gave her too much importance, the best backstory and then things changed too abruptly..I think maybe if the episodes focused on her got a better reception they might have kept her despite KC's contract but at that point it might not have been worth it to not honor the contract and pay whatever they needed to pay to keep a character that didn't give them great numbers ratings wise.

Since WC is Asian in the comics it is whitewashing even if the characters are different imo..we all talk about how the characters on the DCTV shows are very different from the comics' version but still they didn't call them like that randomly, they did it with the original characters in mind..the situation is different though and there wasn't the option of casting a WOC..they could have called her the Canary but EPs that don't think/care about whitewashing is the least surprising thing ever.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

She's tone deaf because of some of the stuff she says on twitter. Not about being WC. Sorry for not being more clear.

What has she said on twitter?

I think the problem is this verse has white washed several characters.

White Canary is an issue imo, because she's part of a bigger problem. These shows take smaller unknown characters that were POC in comics and white washes them, assuming because they're not well known, it won't matter. Well, imo it does matter and it's a big issue. It's how we end up with 2 white Ra's al Ghuls.

Just off the top of my head:

Sin played by a white woman, Asian in comics.

Brick played by a white man, Black in comics.

White Canary played by a white woman, Asian in comics.

Trajectory (Flash) played by a white woman, WOC in comics.

Maggie Sawyer (supergirl) White in comics, show made a big deal about race bending her, she's a Latina WOC on the show, played by a white Italian.

I know there's more but I can't think of them right now. 

Edited by JJ928
  • Love 5

I'm not blaming Caity. I am blaming the EPs. They decided to give her the white canary moniker, they're responsible for it. What I am saying, is that it's an issue for all these shows. No one is putting blame on CL who auditioned to play an original character.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Sakura12 said:

CL was cast as the Canary in Black, not the White Canary. They decide afterwards to change the color of her outfit. I don't count that as casting a White actor in an Asian role. 

It's not casting a white actress in an Asian role but it's giving the identity that is supposed to belong to a WOC to a white girl. The result is the same, I doubt the way they achieved it makes a big difference for POC.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

CL was cast as the Canary in Black, not the White Canary. They decide afterwards to change the color of her outfit. I don't count that as casting a White actor in an Asian role. 

Agreed.  If they'd cast CL to play the role of the comics WC, I would absolutely agree that was whitewashing.  But that's not what happened here.   Sara Lance is a character that they created long before any discussions of White Canary came into the picture.   Sara is not the comics WC.  They are two separate characters.  No connection.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

The result is the same

But the result isn't the same.  Sara is not a villain determined to kill Black Canary just because she's being called White Canary now. She's still her own separate character.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Hiveminder said:

They should have made Sara Black Canary, but if they couldn't do that and they couldn't let her stay just Canary, then they should have made her the Grey Canary. It fits her story better, doesn't sound as dumb as most of the other options, and, on a superficial note, her current costume would look so much better if it was dark grey instead of that weird off white. 

Yep. It's not an iconic comics name, but the comics name is the problem.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Starfish35 said:

But the result isn't the same.  Sara is not a villain determined to kill Black Canary just because she's being called White Canary now. She's still her own separate character.

They took the character and made their own version. Felicity Smoak has zero in common with the comics' version but they gave her that name for a reason, to make a nod to that character. It doesn't matter what they do with the character..they took the identity of a character that was Asian and gave it to a white woman which was unnecessary. They could have called her the Canary like she was on Arrow but chose to give her a new identity not caring that it was the one of an Asian woman. They could have paid more attention to it.

• Love 7

It's similar to Felicity's old hacker name being Ghost Fox Goddess. In comics Ghost Fox Killer, who they obviously stole the name from is Asian, and I was not ok with that. Even though they changed it a little, I personally am no ok with it, and hope we never hear that name again. I don't see it as a strike against the characters/actors but it's definitely an issue. So WC & GFG are similar in the sense that they were established characters that were given code names belonging to POC. 

Character matters to me as well. Sara is no where near the same character as the unnamed comic white canary. She's not from an Asian village with 12 brothers and hell bent on killing BC. She a completely different character that has the same title. John Stewart is a black Green Lantern, when Kyle Rayner started using the name, was that whitewashing?

Felicity Smoak in the comics worked at Tech company. So I wouldn't say she has zero connection to her comic counterpart.

Edited by Sakura12
5 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

They took the character and made their own version. Felicity Smoak has zero in common with the comics' version but they gave her that name for a reason, to make a nod to that character. It doesn't matter what they do with the character..they took the identity of a character that was Asian and gave it to a white woman which was unnecessary. They could have called her the Canary like she was on Arrow but chose to give her a new identity not caring that it was the one of an Asian woman. They could have paid more attention to it.

But they didn't give her that identity.  She still has her own identity, Sara Lance.  They gave her nothing, zero, zilch, from the comics WC identity except the code name, and characters in comics share code names all the time.

That said, I'll agree to disagree on this, since I know mileage varies. And I think we're getting close to a dead horse gif - lol.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Character matters to me as well. Sara is no where near the same character as the unnamed comic white canary. She's not from an Asian village with 12 brothers and hell bent on killing BC. She a completely different character that has the same title. John Stewart is a black Green Lantern, when Kyle Rayner started using the name, was that whitewashing?

My knowledge might be limited on this but isn't the GL more of a job title than an identity specific to one person?

With WC the thing I don't find that great is that the EPs when they decided to call Sara something other than the Canary they picked a title that was of a WOC. There are so many options it seems an unnecessary thing to do to me.

But like @Starfish35 said it's better to agree to disagree..I think we all told our ideas and the discussion can't really go anywhere.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

There are so many options it seems an unnecessary thing to do to me.

Welll....ok. I promise this will be my last word on it.  Lol.  Dead horse dead horse dead horse. 

But there's a couple of things.  One - whether she stayed a Canary.  And two, whether they were limited to comic options.   

If they didn't keep her a Canary? Then yes, that opens the door wide.  But they may have felt that they wanted a progression rather than a complete change?  And she was the first and original?  Network directive? D.C.? I don't know.  I can only guess what their thinking was on that.

As far as what kind of Canary - this depends on whether they were allowed to create their own - Red, Blue, Gold, whatever - or whether they were limited to comic options.  And that's what @statsgirl and I were wondering further up - personally I don't know.  But IF they were limited to comic options, there are only two other comic canon Canaries that I know of, White and Jade.  And Jade, being an alternate alias for Lady Shiva, is probably the more well known.  White Canary, on the other hand, was relatively obscure.  So......*shrugs*  

But who knows?  I don't know. *shrugs*

Last word - promise! :) Lol.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Welll....ok. I promise this will be my last word on it.  Lol.  Dead horse dead horse dead horse. 

But there's a couple of things.  One - whether she stayed a Canary.  And two, whether they were limited to comic options.   

If they didn't keep her a Canary? Then yes, that opens the door wide.  But they may have felt that they wanted a progression rather than a complete change?  And she was the first and original?  Network directive? D.C.? I don't know.  I can only guess what their thinking was on that.

As far as what kind of Canary - this depends on whether they were allowed to create their own - Red, Blue, Gold, whatever - or whether they were limited to comic options.  And that's what @statsgirl and I were wondering further up - personally I don't know.  But IF they were limited to comic options, there are only two other comic canon Canaries that I know of, White and Jade.  And Jade, being an alternate alias for Lady Shiva, is probably by far the more well known.  White Canary, on the other hand, was relatively obscure.  So......*shrugs*  

But who knows?  I don't know. *shrugs*

But why not keeping her the Canary? She was already being called like that on Arrow. I think it's all a matter of priorities..whoever decided on the name didn't care it was originally of a WOC..it might have been the network, DC, the EPs..who knows..still for me whoever decided could have made a different choice. That's all I was saying..

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I don't think it was DC that had any issues with Sara, they gave CL a bunch of BC stuff when she was cast and Geoff Johns said he loved Sara and called her Black Canary at SDCC. I think the issue was because of KC and her contract. Otherwise i think they would've kept Sara as BC, because they spent so much time on her.

To me that is just the weirdest contract ever. Why would KCs contract include "becoming BC", such a random thing to put in there. Tom Welling went into a show where he knew he would end up becoming Superman but he refused to wear the tights. 

I think KC knew she was being written out so her attorneys found an arguement that would keep her on the show. She probably assumed latching on to BC would give her everything else - leading lady, love interest. 

• Love 2

Seriously, someone give me another example of a supporting actor that "forced" a show to keep giving them work. I really don't think that's how Hollywood works. (Especially for women.) Contracts can be broken; you pay the penalty and move on.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Trini said:

Seriously, someone give me another example of a supporting actor that "forced" a show to keep giving them work. I really don't think that's how Hollywood works. (Especially for women.) Contracts can be broken; you pay the penalty and move on.

And yet, along the same lines, someone give me an example of a show that gives every indication that it plans to be done with the actor but then keeps bringing them back again and again. This isn't like shows that always intended to bring back characters in different capacities.  LL was supposed to be dead dead.  The show buried the title of Black Canary with her.  When LL was killed the only return planned for Laurel and KC was the voice work on Vixen and if anyone has seen that, Felicity has more interaction with Mari than Laurel.  

But KC and echos of Laurel just keep coming back.  

• Love 13

KC was ALWAYS going to come back for the big 100th, there is no way they wouldn't have had her in it unless she flat out refused. 

But Criminal Minds (one of CBSs shows) comes to mind. They keep firing actresses and bringing them back.

But I wouldn't say they keep bringing her back again and again. She was announced at the start of the season that she was coming back for multiple appearances throughout all the shows. Like 2-3 months went between her being killed off and her "contract" being revealed.

A lot of people assumed she would be gone forever but come July it was already debunked.

Edited by Primal Slayer
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

KC was ALWAYS going to come back for the big 100th, there is no way they wouldn't have had her in it unless she flat out refused. 

But Criminal Minds (one of CBSs shows) comes to mind. They keep firing actresses and bringing them back.

But I wouldn't say they keep bringing her back again and again. She was announced at the start of the season that she was coming back for multiple appearances throughout all the shows. Like 2-3 months went between her being killed off and her "contract" being revealed.

A lot of people assumed she would be gone forever but come July it was already debunked.

Criminal minds has had actresses leave the team and then come back, but they've never killed the character, revealed her secret crime fighting identity to the public, and explicitly stated that there is no way to bring that character back from the dead even though bringing people back from the dead is totally a thing that happens all the damn time. 

• Love 10

And we were already told that we'd see her again in flashbacks/E2/various ways. 

Correct me if im wrong but they said straight after she died that this wouldn't necessarily be the last we'd see of KC

4 minutes ago, Delphi said:

Unless you're Moira or Tommy  then you are dead forever.  

Tommy is only dead because they dont have CD, they already said they've talked about bringing him back from the dead if they could lol.

Edited by Primal Slayer

Laurel in the 100th episode makes sense since it was Oliver's dream world of what he originally wanted. I can understand  putting Laurel in 501 since they were setting up the arrival of the latest Canary. I think   I can even understand being so impressed by KC's full-on Black Siren that they want to have her back next season. 

What I don't understand though is making her a regular for next season on Arrow.  As a villain, she's not even as strong as Tobias Church was so that role is limited, but redeem her and they have the same problem they had with Laurel for the first four season.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 12
43 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

And yet, along the same lines, someone give me an example of a show that gives every indication that it plans to be done with the actor but then keeps bringing them back again and again.

Prison Break.

This isn't like shows that always intended to bring back characters in different capacities.  LL was supposed to be dead dead.  The show buried the title of Black Canary with her.  When LL was killed the only return planned for Laurel and KC was the voice work on Vixen and if anyone has seen that, Felicity has more interaction with Mari than Laurel.  

But KC and echos of Laurel just keep coming back.  

So just maybe the premise that it was always the plan to never have Katie Cassidy set foot on an Arrow set again is inaccurate?

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Trini said:

So just maybe the premise that it was always the plan to never have Katie Cassidy set foot on an Arrow set again is inaccurate?

Never setting foot on the set is a bit too drastic for me to believe but I can 't help believe they did not have any intention of an on going return.  The change in rhetoric by the show runners appeared too drastic for me not to believe that.  I mean, MG near flat out said that good lawyers was the reason for KC's reoccuring contract.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 9

Does the the CW/WB even pay enough for super lawyers?

1 hour ago, Trini said:

13 minutes ago, Trini said:

Does the the CW/WB even pay enough for super lawyers?

Maybe that's the problem.  Not that KC has really good lawyers but the CW/MG has really poor ones?  Lol.  

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

They could always have MG represent them if they want to save some pennies which they surely do lol

Well now everything makes PERFECT sense.  ;)

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

I don't see how they could possibly have told the comics WC story with Sara in that role, and I'm glad they didn't try, personally.  White Canary in the comics is a total villain, and seems to only exist as an antagonist for Black Canary. I don't think they ever intended for Sara to be any version of that character.  It might be the same code name, but it's completely different characters.  

This is something I've wondered about, but I don't know how much leeway they have in making up completely new code names.  Even Diggle's Spartan is taken from an obscure comic character if I understand correctly, although his story has no resemblance to that character's either.  Felicity's Overwatch is not, I don't think, but that might be the only one.  

This is not to say that I'm attached to the White Canary name.  I'm not fond of it, and I'm not fond of the WC costume either.  I'm just not sure, with Black off the table, how many options they had.  Could they have made her the Fushia Canary? (Lol) I just don't know.

I agree with you... I don't think they could have or should have told WC comic story. But that is why I wish they had just kept her as Canary.

I do wonder how much leeway they have, but certainly they could have found some obscure title that fit her origin better. It just seems silly that they gave her a name that has nothing to do with her origin and even her outfit is more grey than white. It really is a headscratcher, why they gave her that name,

9 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I'm really never sure what the writers were thinking with Sara. It just never made any sense. They gave her this whole big backstory with Oliver, gave her this badass training, showed her kicking ass and being awesome, and spent all this time with her, only to kill her off pointlessly to inspire her sister to take her place, despite said sister having no martial arts training whatsoever, having shown no interest in being a vigilante, and needing everyone to prop her up and say how awesome she was over and over, instead of showing it. But, when the fans got super pissed off and there was controversy about killing off their own LGBTQ character for stupid reasons in the lamest way possible, they brought her back. I think they liked Sara as a character, but they planned on her staying dead, and just being a plot device for Laurel to become the Black Canary. I just don't get why they spent so much time on Sara if they always meant to kill her, which I'm sure they did. They were probably really surprised to see how angry people were, and desperately tried to cover their asses, and when they started getting LoT ready, they realized they could stick her there, and leave Laurel as Black Canary on Arrow.

Sara even seemed closer to Oliver, as others have said. I just never bought that Laurel and Oliver were this great romance. I buy that they had history, and by the end they were friends and respected each other as team mates, but I never saw them as being really in love. Sara and Oliver seem to really get each other, in a way that no one else does. Not really in a romantic way, but as really close friends who are always going to be connected, no matter how long they go without seeing each other. I guess I ship them as friends?

I'm with you. It really is mind boggling what they did with the Lance Sisters. The sister-swapping is actually the only logical part of their journeys. It's also a big ew & detractor, but hey at least I get why they did it. OQ was an attractive guy. I would never do that to my sister, but I've never been tempted by it. Also part of me wonders if SL did it to prove just how shameless & horrible OQ was. LL could be blind to his cheating, but taking your sister on an around the world shag fest, should really raise your flags up that he might not be the best guy. I have little no idea what their master plan for the Lance Sisters were. Except if this was their master plan, gosh they really suck as master planners.

Also I totally buy Sara & Oliver as deep friends & platonic partners. I can see the physical attraction and loneliness leading to things, but I never bought their romantic relationship as viable beyond a few weeks of hooking up. Meanwhile I totally believe them being friends until the day they both die (or die again & again). They had a special connection for me, it just was not romantic.

• Love 4

Maybe when they wrote the pilot and the sister-swapping they were thinking that Sara had died when the Queen's Gambit sank. In that case, the cheating was something that could have been overcome for Oliver and Laurel eventually because Sara was dead.

MG said that they planned for Sara to come back in s2 but I don't think they had a plan for her to become the Canary until they realized that Laurel wasn't working out for them.  Making her Ravager and a villain would have made most people think she was to blame.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

The biggest difference for me though was FS was supposed to be a one on/one off day player. So using that name was just supposed to be a fun little comic easter egg. And EBR just blew it out of the park, earning her character a larger role. So it might have been challenging to change her name after the fact. They could have and perhaps they should have changed her name. Once they cast her as recurring, it could have been easily explained that her last name is not really Smoak. But that's neither here or there.

SL however was been given a spin-off and a new comic/show identity. They knew SL's origin story & training. They knew SL & CL's ethnicity. TPTB choosing a comic name that is a POC and giving it to a white character is rather insulting. I assume there are a lot of white characters they could have chosen. It just is insulting on so many levels that they didn't bother to find a better fitting identity. They should have found SL a better name, or honestly just kept her as Canary makes the most sense and force it into the DC comics world. Is it really that hard to introduce a new comic book character? DC owns the comics, Arrow & LoT. It's not like random fans trying to write their own unauthorized character.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Delphi said:

Unless you're Moira or Tommy  then you are dead forever.  

Moira & Tommy didn't have masks to protect them. Unmasked people who die are probably not considered important enough to raise from the dead. It's one of the reasons, Im never really afraid FS will be killed. She's too important to the show. Now in the final season, and if they ever gave her a mask, than anything is possible but until then, I'm confident she will never be killed other than fantasy scenarios like LoT.

Edited by kismet
add a point
2 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

They could always have MG represent them if they want to save some pennies which they surely do lol

Well technically it probably would matter where and if MG still is an active member of the bar. In all likelihood, he probably didn't keep his law license and bar membership active once he started making ?millions in the tv world. Plus I have been told California (likely where the contract originates) is one of the hardest states to get your license and sit on the bar. Plus the work takes place in Canada, so now do we have Canadian law to deal with as well? Nevermind, I'm not sure what MG's legal specialization was, he may have had no experience in contractual or entertainment law outside of what is taught in law school.

All I'm saying is while I think MG fails Arrow in many ways, I don't think his inability to skirt around or nullify the contractual obligations as a lawyer really had that big of an impact. It is probably low on the totem pole of responsibility. That being said his knowledge of the law probably helped to the show take the path they wanted to with LL/KC. He was able to marginalize her character while still acting within the legal boundaries of the contract.

I have no evidence other than what has been seen on TV or discussed on this forum. However, my interpretation of the situation is that KC had a fabulous legal team that honestly probably kept her on the show longer than the writers wanted. And they got her the coveted mask so that she can be making money at cons for years and forever list "superhero" on her resume. Nothing about her origin story after s1 to me indicates that they ever wanted KC to succeed as BC. They seemed intent on giving her the littlest origin & development possible, and then either letting her fail in the spotlight or hiding her in the background.

But until the BTS tell-all comes out or someone gets loose lips, it will probably all be conjecture and speculation. So it's probably best to leave it. However, if I were an actor looking for representation, I probably would give KC a call & ask for recommendations.

• Love 2

Why didn't they give her a more "athletic" job if she was to be BC? We're they aiming for the Rachel Dawes character by making her a lawyer?

Do you guys know if she was always meant to be BC or just the love interest? 

Her BC origin story was silly right up there with Mr Terrible Curtis! They should have tried harder! Even Thea was off to be trained by Malcolm who was LoA.

17 minutes ago, kismet said:

But until the BTS tell-all comes out or someone gets loose lips, it will probably all be conjecture and speculation.

I'm glad you recognize this.

7 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Those both would have options no matter who they cast since she was a variation of the comic character.

The problem is they didn't "cast" her. She was a network choice so there was no audition and no chemistry test with SA..since the beginning we were told she could take care of herself because her dad made her take self defense classes but pretty early on they shoved her in the B plot because they didn't know what to do with her so instead of having her become BC gradually in years it came out of nowhere after they killed Sara and brought Laurel in the A plot.

What the paps are saying now is that the decision to have her as a regular came from the higher ups, not from the EPs and if your boss, for whatever reason, tells you to fit an actress into the show you find a way. The EPs make the decisions up to a point. Same thing happened with Dinah..you can see the shift between "we don't follow the comics", to "BC is the most important character next to GA".

• Love 14
50 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Why didn't they give her a more "athletic" job if she was to be BC? We're they aiming for the Rachel Dawes character by making her a lawyer?

Her BC origin story was silly right up there with Mr Terrible Curtis! They should have tried harder! Even Thea was off to be trained by Malcolm who was LoA.

In the pilot episode they made sure to say her full name and did a reference to fishnet stockings.  So for me as a viewer I assumed that they intended to make her BC at some point in addition to being the obvious love interest.  I remember even managing to work up a little excitement since i liked BC so I was willing to give her character another chance.  Which ended in the next episode, lol.  

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

In the pilot episode they made sure to say her full name and did a reference to fishnet stockings.  So for me as a viewer I assumed that they intended to make her BC at some point in addition to being the obvious love interest.  I remember even managing to work up a little excitement since i liked BC so I was willing to give her character another chance.  Which ended in the next episode, lol.  

Lol what made you keep watching?

I started watching knowing full well she wasn't lead anymore and that someone I thought was amazing was the female lead. I liked Laurel in her place but there was no way I would have watched it thinking she was the lead after Oliver. 

• Love 1