Type keyword(s) to search

SuperNormal: Public Appearances, Tweets, Media And Other Social Media Of The SPN Cast

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Bessie said:

I’m going way against the grain, here, and saying they should be called out. 

I don’t think they should suffer any major consequences or anything, but “I was just joking” doesn’t work for me.

It’s a get out of jail free card, for lots of people for lots of bad stuff. I’m not a fan of “it was just a joke.”

I agree. I never like the "It was just a joke" excuse. 

I still think it seems like they're good guys, and I don't think there should be any major consequences either. In this context, the way the question was setup, it was practically designed for them to fail. I get that. And, sure, they didn't mean for it to be offensive. That still doesn't mean it's an okay joke to tell. I've had similar "jokes" said by guys walking behind me when I'm walking home alone. Those jokes certainly didn't seem harmless to me then.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

I agree. I never like the "It was just a joke" excuse. 

I still think it seems like they're good guys, and I don't think there should be any major consequences either. In this context, the way the question was setup, it was practically designed for them to fail. I get that. And, sure, they didn't mean for it to be offensive. That still doesn't mean it's an okay joke to tell. I've had similar "jokes" said by guys walking behind me when I'm walking home alone. Those jokes certainly didn't seem harmless to me then.

This why context has to be considered. We (and no, I don't mean everyone) are the ones saying it was just a joke, not Jared or Jensen. And of course, if Jared actually said that to a woman, pick up line or not, it would not be a joke. But in this context, it literally was a joke. The audience begged him to share it, and laughed when he did. Now a segment of the 'fans' are making hay with it and doing their best to make sure the story gets the most mileage possible.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

That still doesn't mean it's an okay joke to tell. I've had similar "jokes" said by guys walking behind me when I'm walking home alone. Those jokes certainly didn't seem harmless to me then.

Which is a totally different context.

Just now, catrox14 said:

Which is a totally different context.

I specifically commented about context too. But elsewhere on the boards I’ve seen comments about the joke itself being “harmless.” Personally, I don’t think it is, and I wish the guys hadn’t said it.

• Love 1
Just now, Jeddah said:

I specifically commented about context too. But elsewhere on the boards I’ve seen comments about the joke itself being “harmless.” Personally, I don’t think it is, and I wish the guys hadn’t said it.

I meant that the context of what the guys said when they said it was not the same as guys who would say something that was threatening to you in the situation. I'm a survivor myself so I understand that trigger.I wasn't intending to dismiss how you feel. I'm sorry

24 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I meant that the context of what the guys said when they said it was not the same as guys who would say something that was threatening to you in the situation. I'm a survivor myself so I understand that trigger.I wasn't intending to dismiss how you feel. I'm sorry

I didn’t take what you said that way, or feel like you were being dismissive! I’m sorry if I came across that way too.

Edited by Jeddah

My issue with social media is--other than it encourages people to yell their every single thought out loud--it's pack mentality. It invites people to take sides in every debate whether they know what's being debated or not, with the loudest crowd declared the winner. I think it can be a tool for good, but too often gets misused. 

13 hours ago, Bessie said:

I’m going way against the grain, here, and saying they should be called out. 

I don’t think they should suffer any major consequences or anything, but “I was just joking” doesn’t work for me.

It’s a get out of jail free card, for lots of people for lots of bad stuff. I’m not a fan of “it was just a joke.”

I don't know that I think they should be called out, but since they were, I don't think "it was just a joke" really works either.

• Love 3

Clearly it was a joke but that doesn't mean it's okay. Rape and sexual assault aren't laughing matters and a one-sentence statement saying they apologize is no big deal.

I still love them, the show and everything good they do. I guess that's what I find frustrating about all this crazyness - the extremes. Just because I found this one statement insensitive doesn't mean I hate them and want them punished. There is a lot of middle ground here. You can love someone and find something they say inappropriate. I do it with my husband all the time :)

• Love 4

That's the nature of comedy though - there is almost always a target, and even if it's self-deprecating or directed only at one's own flaws or experiences, someone is going to take offense over it. Speaking for myself only, I'd rather they make a dumb, inappropriate or even offensive joke once in a while than feel they have to check every word they say for fear of offending somebody. Seeing two good men dragged through the mud over this is offensive to me. 

• Love 5

https://www.thewrap.com/jared-padalecki-jensen-ackles-bill-cosby-rape-joke/amp/

Supernatural” stars Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles want to make it clear they aren’t kidding around when it comes to sexual misconduct. After intense backlash to a joke referencing Bill Cosby’s rape allegations, which the actors told at a convention over the weekend, the pair have issued statements to TheWrap placing them firmly against unwanted sexual advances.

“Under all circumstance Jared condemns any form of sexual harassment or assault,” a rep for Padalecki told TheWrap in a statement. Ackles echoed his co-star’s opinion in his own comment to TheWrap, with his rep saying, “Our position is that sexual harassment is a serious issue and should not to be taken lightly under any circumstances.”

The statements don’t offer a direct apology for the joke, which many fans on social media labeled as “offensive” and “tone-deaf” in light of the current harassment and assault allegations circulating in Hollywood.

The co-stars, who are currently working on Season 13 of The CW drama, made the remarks during a Q&A session at Creation Entertainment’s Official Supernatural Convention in New Orleans over the weekend. In a clip from the convention, a fan asked a  question and Ackles replied, “I think she wants to hear our pickup lines.” Padalecki turned to his co-star and whispered something, to which Ackles replied, “No” — as in, don’t go there.

Not heeding Ackles’ warning, Padalecki revealed his line after much pleading from fans. Before offering his response, Padalecki noted, “My jokes are all really offensive.”

And then he backed up that assertion.

“Excuse me, does this rag smell like chloroform to you?” the actor said, before laughing at his own joke and miming a mic drop. Ackles then jumped in with a, “No, Mr. Cosby,” followed by, “Too soon? Or not too soon? Too late?” The audience’s reaction sounds pretty mixed in the clip.

Cosby has been accused of sexual misconduct by more than 60 women.

TheWrap reached out to The CW for comment, but did not hear back by time of publication.

Edited by catrox14
20 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Speaking for myself only, I'd rather they make a dumb, inappropriate or even offensive joke once in a while than feel they have to check every word they say for fear of offending somebody. Seeing two good men dragged through the mud over this is offensive to me. 

I agree.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

I read that last night.  This is so unfair.  A fan asks two married men to pretend they are coming on to her and somehow the J's are the only ones at fault here for trying to make a joke of it?  They actually looked uncomfortable at first (I know it made me uncomfortable).  But I suppose because they are men it's okay to be objectified in anyway a fan can think of in front of 100's of other people.

So Jensen said he killed the kitten.  Does that mean PETA is going to go after them now too?

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

I read that last night.  This is so unfair.  A fan asks two married men to pretend they are coming on to her and somehow the J's are the only ones at fault here for trying to make a joke of it?  They actually looked uncomfortable at first (I know it made me uncomfortable).  But I suppose because they are men it's okay to be objectified in anyway a fan can think of in front of 100's of other people.

So Jensen said he killed the kitten.  Does that mean PETA is going to go after them now too?

When did Jensen say he killed the kitten?

Tbh, if I were them, I'd quit or cut down drastically on the creation cons after this. I doubt they really need the money and I honestly feel like they do it for the fans more than anything else and the creation cons are so played out that I don't even watch the vids anymore so now they should be asking themselves(or at least their reps should be asking them this, IMO) is it worth the bad publicity that they're getting now after having been set up in this way, by a fan in this fandom that professes to love them so much.

If I were them, I might be considering the thought of letting those who love them, admire them from afar a bit more from here on out.

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

Tbh, if I were them, I'd quit or cut down drastically on the creation cons after this. I doubt they really need the money and I honestly feel like they do it for the fans more than anything else and the creation cons are so played out that I don't even watch the vids anymore so now they should be asking themselves(or at least their reps should be asking them this, IMO) is it worth the bad publicity that they're getting now after having been set up in this way, by a fan in this fandom that professes to love them so much.

If I were them, I might be considering the thought of letting those who love them, admire them from afar a bit more from here on out.

How many times have fans screamed out for the J's to take their clothes off during panels?  How is that not an issue?  Why is it okay for fans to show insensitivity towards two married men with children?  This whole thing is just a witch hunt for click bait trash mags.

I hope they don't change who they are. But I wouldn't blame them if they just say the hell with it.  13 seasons and call it a day.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Casseiopeia said:

How many times have fans screamed out for the J's to take their clothes off during panels?  How is that not an issue?  Why is it okay for fans to show insensitivity towards two married men with children?  This whole thing is just a witch hunt for click bait trash mags.

I hope they don't change who they are. But I wouldn't blame them if they just say the hell with it.  13 seasons and call it a day.

What sucks about this, is that if they call it a day, then it will get blamed on this incident and that they must be the dirtbags they are being portrayed as and there must be other things hidden about them that they just will leave. Or if they don't get renewed for s14 it will be because of this.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

What sucks about this, is that if they call it a day, then it will get blamed on this incident and that they must be the dirtbags they are being portrayed as and there must be other things hidden about them that they just will leave. Or if they don't get renewed for s14 it will be because of this.

I can't see them not getting renewed over this.  If I was not on this forum, I wouldn't have even known that this happened.   

• Love 1

This whole exchange is wild.

I'm pretty sure Canadagraphs is being a little snarky on that last part. LOL But I think he is saying they work a lot less than they used to.

2 minutes ago, Diane said:

I can't see them not getting renewed over this.  If I was not on this forum, I wouldn't have even known that this happened.   

It's already a firestorm in SM, and worse it's been picked up and written about in digital  Teen Vogue which is actually a really good publication and does some quality journalism these days and it's influential. If it keeps getting picked up by any other media outlets like Variety or THR, it's not gonna help. The network may decide if the issue gets bigger even after their statements above, it could be a problem for the network.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I'm pretty sure Canadagraphs is being a little snarky on that last part. LOL But I think he is saying they work a lot less than they used to.

It's already a firestorm in SM, and worse it's been picked up and written about in digital  Teen Vogue which is actually a really good publication and does some quality journalism these days and it's influential. If it keeps getting picked up by any other media outlets like Variety or THR, it's not gonna help. The network may decide if the issue gets bigger even after their statements above, it could be a problem for the network.

I disagree, this is not that big of an issue, I am not sure I would call it a SM firestorm.  I haven't seen anything on Twitter, but I also didn't hunt for it. 

11 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

There is no way CW or Creation kills their most profitable cash cows over a joke, no matter how poor taste it might be considered (by some, not me).

• Love 1
Just now, gonzosgirrl said:

There is no way CW or Creation kills their most profitable cash cows over a joke, no matter how poor taste it might be considered (by some, not me).

Agreed!

I hope you're right and I'm wrong! Seriously.

Renewal is up to them. That's what Pedowitz has been saying for years and I doubt that this nonsense would affect what the PTBs think of them. All one has to do is watch the video to recognize that they were egged on by the fans and that their biggest sin was being foolish enough to be talked into revealing something that they knew should have been kept private-or JP did that and JA was just attempting damage control again. Renewal as far as the PTBs is only dependent on $ generated by the show and I feel pretty certain that this is not going to negatively affect that. If JP's on-again, off-again doxxing of people hasn't done that yet, then I don't see this nonsense doing it either.

As for what it would look like to others(ie., they're  attempting to hide things), from what I'm seeing they have very little to worry about in that regard; and especially in comparison to specifically what's happening and going down with some much bigger names than theirs.

This will blow over just like everything else in this fandom does and, at this point, I feel like anything that happens with this fandom is hand waved by most of those in the know and of any real importance to them and their futures, as being typical of this fandom(and maybe any fandom, for that matter)-especially after watching that video.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Myrelle said:

Renewal is up to them. That's what Pedowitz has been saying for years and I doubt that this nonsense would affect what the PTBs think of them. All one has to do is watch the video to recognize that they were egged on by the fans and that their biggest sin was being foolish enough to be talked into revealing something that they knew should have been kept private-or JP did that and JA was just attempting damage control again. Renewal as far as the PTBs is only dependent on $ generated by the show and I feel pretty certain that this is not going to negatively affect that. If JP's on-again, off-again doxxing of people hasn't done that yet, then I don't see this nonsense doing it either.

As for what it would look like to others(ie., they're  attempting to hide things), from what I'm seeing they have very little to worry about in that regard; and especially in comparison to specifically what's happening and going down with some much bigger names than theirs.

This will blow over just like everything else in this fandom does and, at this point, I feel like anything that happens with this fandom is hand waved by most of those in the know and of any real importance to them and their futures, as being typical of this fandom(and maybe any fandom, for that matter)-especially after watching that video.

Exactly! That's why I call it a tempest in a teapot. Sorry - my opinion here - but there's no way anyone without an agenda who watches that video would consider any kind of action against Jared or Jensen.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

Exactly! That's why I call it a tempest in a teapot. Sorry - my opinion here - but there's no way anyone without an agenda who watches that video would consider any kind of action against Jared or Jensen.

Exactly

3 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Yeah, I think it unlikely this will be the end of the show. It might affect how loose and off-the-cuff they are at cons and with fans in general, though. If you ask me, I think they've gotten a little too comfortable with the lack of boundaries some fans have and this will be a reminder to them that they need to shore that back up a bit.

• Love 10
33 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

This will literally and figuratively be yesterday's news after tonight's episode, IMO.

That's how things work with this fandom and most of the social media outlets pander to the fandoms for the most part now-nothing more and nothing less, IMO.

• Love 1

Nobody in the real world has heard about this whole kerfluffle or would give a crap if they did.  It'll all blow over in a couple of days, and things will go on as usual with no effect on the ratings.  At worst, people will shake their heads and mutter something about snowflakes.

• Love 3

Other than two short online reports there is nothing on this outside the fandom. No one else is talking about it. In fact, I think all the fans on SM "supporting" the two are bringing more attention to it than it would otherwise. They should stop and actually let it die down. The more they tweet etc the more people say, "huh let me google and see what's going on."

• Love 4
3 hours ago, catrox14 said:

You can relax this show is not getting canceled. No amount of whining on Social Media will impact it. This show will end when the boys want out, or their DVDs no longer sell.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 4

I don't see this having any affect on the show, as it shouldn't.  It was an unfortunate comment, nothing more.  But I agree that it will probably make them a bit more closed off at cons.  Giving them up would be a substantial pay cut, so I don't see them doing that. 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

http://www.tvguide.com/amp/news/supernatural-bring-back-castiel/

Its always nice to see Castiel being appreciated :D 

I love that. Thanks for bringing it over. Always here for some Cas appreciation. 

To that end, what the hell is wrong with William Shatner? 

This is the writer of the piece. She has written many pieces for TV Guide. Seriously? What is his problem besides being a troll?

http://www.tvguide.com/authors/keisha-hatchett/

Keisha Hatchett

Keisha Hatchett is an associate editor at TV Guide. She's also written for Entertainment Weekly, People, Popsugar, Screen Rant and more. Ask her anything about Titanic and she'll probably know the answer.

T

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

To that end, what the hell is wrong with William Shatner? 

This is the writer of the piece. She has written many pieces for TV Guide. Seriously? What is his problem besides being a troll?

He’s just hateful and has real hate on for Misha, and no I don’t think it’s a joke since he also happily interacts with big name Bronlies / anti Cas fans! 

Edited by Wayward Son
I meant anti-Cas obviously haha
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

He’s just hateful and has real hate on for Misha, and no I don’t think it’s a joke since he also happily interacts with big name Bronlies / anti Cas fans! 

Wait, what? I mean, Shattner is a huge troll and I haven't really paid attention to it all lately, but Misha and Shatner used be be social media buds. I read his comments as Cass was a big deal and someone wrote an article that supports his belief. I assumed he was responding to someone saying Cass wasn't a big deal. Maybe I misunderstood, but, as I understood it, Shattner loves Misha.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

Wait, what? I mean, Shattner is a huge troll and I haven't really paid attention to it all lately, but Misha and Shatner used be be social media buds. I read his comments as Cass was a big deal and someone wrote an article that supports his belief. I assumed he was responding to someone saying Cass wasn't a big deal. Maybe I misunderstood, but, as I understood it, Shattner loves Misha.

Shatner entertains a lot of of the hardcore Misha haters in fandom who slobber over his digs at Misha. To me his tweet suggests that he's mocking Misha's ego as being so big he'd write a positive piece about himself under a pseudonym.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, catrox14 said:

Shatner entertains a lot of of the hardcore Misha haters in fandom who slobber over his digs at Misha. To me his tweet suggests that he's mocking Misha's ego as being so big he'd write a positive piece about himself under a pseudonym.

Agreed! And he has even taken to liking and responding to their tweets! If he was ever friends with Misha that time has passed IMO 

Edited by Wayward Son
2 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Are you sure that Shattner isn't having fun trolling the Misha haters? 

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

Are you sure that Shattner isn't having fun trolling the Misha haters? 

I thought that at first. And I think he trolls a lot of fandom. He went after a known Misha supporter to try get her essentially shadow banned because she called out Jared for his most recent Twitter tirade. . Maybe he's just an equal opportunity troll and I don't get him.

I do think it's still shitty for him to suggest that someone other than the writer of the piece wrote it. That's not cool on any level IMO

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I thought that at first. And I think he trolls a lot of fandom. He went after a known Misha supporter to try get her essentially shadow banned because she called out Jared for his most recent Twitter tirade. . Maybe he's just an equal opportunity troll and I don't get him.

Yeah, I'm not sure one thing has to do with the other.  I just think Shattner gets off on stirring the pot and being in the middle of a storm, more than anything.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Sorry I don't follow what you mean here.

That Shattner calling out a Misha supporter means he agrees with the Misha haters. I don't think it would've mattered if it was a Misha supporter or not, Shattner just had to insert himself into the middle of the kerfuffle.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

That Shattner calling out a Misha supporter means he agrees with the Misha haters. I don't think it would've mattered if it was a Misha supporter or not, Shattner just had to insert himself into the middle of the kerfuffle.

I gotcha. I guess to me it shows a bit of pattern with his snarky comments about Misha as well. But hey maybe I'm totally wrong and he and Misha are friends.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

Honestly, serious or not serious the man is known for his enjoyment of trolling people and I’ve no time for someone like that and just find him deeply irritating *shrug*

Not that he’d actually care what I think LOL

Oh, I'm not suggesting you should have time for him--I quit following him years ago--I'm just saying I wouldn't draw conclusions about who he likes or not based on who he gets in arguments online. It seems to me, he gets in arguments with just about anyone.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 3