Type keyword(s) to search

Stripped - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

Thanks for adding this!!! Now let's see if anyone else is watching. Anyone....? Anyone.....? 

I thought the girls last night were probably trying to get themselves noticed in their industries. I wonder if this show will feature people anywhere else but LA? Maybe if it gets picked up for a second season? 

I'm really enjoying the show. I love seeing what everyone picks out from the storage container each day. These girls picked A LOT of clothes!!! It's always interesting, too, to see how different their picks are and how it may rub someone the wrong way if they feel one person's picks are too selfish. Like Beth got the mattress for everyone, but the other girls were getting more superficial stuff. 

Still, I feel like Beth kind of goes through life with a chip on her shoulder. She's kind of mothering and controlling (she admits) and acts like she deserves recognition all the time, and gets upset if things don't go exactly her way. I hope she grew from this. They all clearly went into it with different expectations. I did feel a bit bad for her because she seemed to want it to be more of a group bonding thing, but the other girls saw it as a more personal journey. 

Especially Isabel. Her back story was the most interesting and I hope she finds what she's looking for finally. She's a very beautiful woman, but I get the impression she doesn't even really know who she is. It was really interesting to see her not really wanting any of her stuff back. 

I just really liked that they did a different dynamic than the couple we had last week. I hope they continue to mix it up. The premise for this show is so fun, to me. I hope others are watching! 

• Love 10

havent seen the newest ep. the first one. i shouldve seen the pregnancy coming a mile away. i really really liked it tho. just the over all idea and how different people will deal. they were lucky to have a nice back yard and fruit and a hot tub! i did wonder if inside there house was cold water tho, why did they wash their dog in the pool ? i think for me the hardest part would be feeling dirty and sleeping on the floor au natural. overall great show. i didnt think i would like it. also i really liked the editing

• Love 2

Ghoulish, I agree that the women from last night's episode were hope to get noticed in their careers, I thought it was funny that one of them ended up becoming a reality TV producer.

The woman from the episode 1 couple looked so familiar to me. I feel like I've seen her on TV before, but didn't find any evidence of it in my Googling around.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Ashlyc said:

havent seen the newest ep. the first one. i shouldve seen the pregnancy coming a mile away. i really really liked it tho. just the over all idea and how different people will deal. they were lucky to have a nice back yard and fruit and a hot tub! i did wonder if inside there house was cold water tho, why did they wash their dog in the pool ? i think for me the hardest part would be feeling dirty and sleeping on the floor au natural. overall great show. i didnt think i would like it. also i really liked the editing

I could NOT handle sleeping on the floor. I think I'd get a mattress and a blanket before I even got any clothing! 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I could NOT handle sleeping on the floor. I think I'd get a mattress and a blanket before I even got any clothing! 

no i couldnt either. i have to sleep with a pillow between my legs because my knees hurt touching all night. i mean come on. i would have bruises like the one girl. im bony. i do have to saw the red haired girl looked amazing for multiple days with no touch ups. her hair looked great, as well as her make up. i need her secrets! i have to re make up myself every morning. yet she look great after sleeping on the dang floor. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ghoulina said:

25+ years ago, when my husband and I were about to get married, we spent 2 days in an empty apartment sleeping on the floor. A very unhappy memory!

• Love 4

my scalp gets so itchy just going a day without a shower. i like to camp but i need to shower, so i cant go to primitive. i would just feel so icky. i wonder if maybe the girls went without showering for days prior to this..... other thoughts on this show. i have a feeling like the casting wasnt a wide net. these girls and the other couple, have ties to the entertainment industry which is kinda obvious i guess for its setting in hollywood but idk i feel like maybe the producers contacted people they might have known prior. oh and these girls all mustve come from some type of money right? non of them had a real stable career yet they are living in a very large nice house in Hollywood. im guessing trust fund type, one girl had a nice bmw. 

• Love 5

I enjoyed the husband in the first episode enjoying his nakedness. And his tv desire.  That kept getting put off.

Shrugs shoulders.....

I don' think I could get past having to go a mile, naked, in public!  To get some stuff.  Otherwise? It would be fun.

Disclaimer. I have a really big dog.  With a really big dog bed.  And I would have no problem laying in it for a night or three. 

I think I would go for flowy dress, Kindle, mattress in that order.

• Love 4

I go without washing my hair two, sometimes three, days. I use dry shampoo. I could get by with that, and then splashing water around on my body in the shower for a few days. I would definitely get my Kindle!!! I could stream from Netflix, read books, check my email, etc. 

• Love 2

I watched the 2nd one last night. Figured one more to give it a chance. I'm in! I find it kind of fun to see what they choose and how they change. I was astonished that those girls didn't get SOAP until the Mom got on the phone and went YECH...LOL. Then they all got toothbrushes and soap. 

I'd take a mattress on day one. A blanket on day 2 and soap and toothpaste next. Then worry about clothes or phones.

I would like to see them NOT be able to go to jobs, or coffee shops, or beg for money. Doesn't seem very "stripped" if people can bring you food, take you out, or you can go the gym to shower. HMMMMM...

Ladies the lesson you were supposed to learn was NOT "look how easy it is too get money when you're naked". Just NO. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, eurekagirl mOo said:

I would like to see them NOT be able to go to jobs, or coffee shops, or beg for money. Doesn't seem very "stripped" if people can bring you food, take you out, or you can go the gym to shower. HMMMMM...

I'm torn on this. I think I would like it better if they couldn't get their phones back at all. So they just had to rely on someone showing up to help them. I think location makes a difference. The first couple seemed a bit more far removed, while the girls seemed to have easy access to restaurants and grocery stores, etc. I kind of liked that they came up with different ways to earn money to get extra stuff, since MREs can be NASTY. 

But I tend to agree about the job thing. I think it would be interesting to see them not be able to work for that time. They would likely make different choices on what to retrieve. And I just really like to see them go without technology for longer. 

• Love 3
On 12/13/2017 at 11:11 AM, Michichick said:

Soap! I would pick clothes, then a sleeping bag or mattress, then soap. I cracked up when the caption noted that the women had yet to select soap after many days had passed. Lord, I hate to feel dirty.

I can't believe they got a make-up palette and a bunch of other silly junk and were talking about getting hats before soap.  I might get shampoo instead of soap because I'd use shampoo as body wash before I'd use soap as shampoo, but I'd definitely get it before I'm getting make-up and hats.

I thought it was hilarious when they were begging for meter change and it gave them 4 minutes because it's so true.  I keep 3 rolls of quarters in my car after getting a credit card stuck in a parking meter.  I did start wondering how they pay for gas on the show or it selecting the car as an item means you get gas fill-ups too.

I thought the gym card was really smart since her gym had towels and nice toiletries.  I don't think that's why she picked it though.  I think that was a happy accident.

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, yourmomiseasy said:

I thought the gym card was really smart since her gym had towels and nice toiletries.  I don't think that's why she picked it though.  I think that was a happy accident.

YES! That's something I never would have thought of. But great idea. You get to work out and get out of the house and be social. You could watch some free TV. You could shower there (I've only ever had a membership with the Y, and what from what I recall, they never had toiletries). And they even had complimentary food sitting out! Win-win-win. I'd be there every day. 

• Love 4

Yeah, the gym card was a super smart pick. Shower, shampoo, soap, nice towels, tv, release some stress and boredom, etc.

It seems pretty obvious that they've picked people with entertainment connections and also people with VERY flexible jobs. Even if you didn't have to go to work until day 3, there's a lot of jobs where you couldn't show up in a onesie without showering.

Also, LA has pretty moderate weather (although we did see it rain!), which makes it easy to sleep in the nude. The two we've seen have also had access to lush vegetation to fashion clothes and some oranges/lemons growing nearby.

The first couple seemed a little mismatched, but I am glad to see they're doing OK. The three friends are just all peter pans that don't want to grow up. Nothing wrong with being a musician and trying to make it, but these girls obviously had money from somewhere and not much other ambition. I'm kind of glad the one was moving out - Beth was really trying to make them even more codependent.

• Love 4

I am just now watching the first one, with the couple. I cracked up when he was looking for entertainment and decided to read his truck's manual. And when she was on the red carpet I thought, why didn't you comb your hair?  Then I realized that a comb would be an "item" and she hadn't chosen it yet.

It's interesting how "addicted' we are to our personal hygiene items: soap, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, razor. I sure would be! I'm low maintenance (rarely wear makeup) but I like to be clean!

Plus I'm busty and could NOT wear those knit dresses without undergarments!

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 1

My people! I love this show so far! I thought the people would be silly and/or vapid, but I've enjoyed them all. I loved the husband in the first episode. He was so cute and seemed like such a kind, easygoing guy. Ali was a little high strung but I thought the experience was a grounding one for her and helped her appreciate her husband more. I liked all the women in the second ep, too. Their choices left me shaking my head sometimes though!

As a devotee of bare feet, I'd never pick shoes. I think I'd go big blanket, big loose comfy caftan/robe, and some kind of all purpose soap/bodywash/shampoo for the first three days. I was surprised no one got a book! I would, but I don't have a kindle or a smart phone (just a dumb one, because its CHEAP). So maybe I'd get my laptop. Then I'd have netflix and books online and Previously TV so I wouldn't be bored. After that, I'd probably just choose things like toothpaste and deodorant.  I wouldn't choose makeup at all, but maybe skin care stuff--moisturizer, face wash, exfoliator. 

My job does not have a dress code but I can't imagine showing up for work in only a coat! Or running through the streets naked! Making the pod so far away did seem a little harsh. I'm surprised no one was arrested for indecent exposure. 

Ali was really smart to go to the neighbor and ask for a ride to the pod.  

• Love 6

They really haven't taken advantage of the whole "other people can buy you stuff." Otherwise, why aren't they having friends bring them food every day? Is there a limit of 1 visitor a day or something? Can their friends bring them soap? They were allowed to take freebies at the gym and work...once they get clothes they could cruise the market for free samples!

Also, I think someone mentioned...is hot water an item? The guy from the first episode showered, but none of the girls seemed to. At least wash off with water even if no soap!

This show brings up too many rule questions!

• Love 2

I'm not sure if there's a visitor limit, but if they don't have electronics, they have to make arrangements beforehand. But all the girls seemed to get their phones back pretty quickly. So yea, you'd think they'd be calling people left and right. I do wonder what exactly can be bought for them. There'd have to be some limits, otherwise it would sort of negate the the premise of the show. 

I wonder about how water too. They might be hesitant to take a whole shower if they don't have a towel or things to style their hair with. My hair would actually look better dirty than washed and air-dryed with no styling products or tools available! 

• Love 1

Last night's couple was my favorite so far. I thought they were really creative and scrappy. Raiding the laundry room before heading for their first storage retrieval was a great idea. They have a really nice apartment complex - complimentary laptop?! What the what what???

I totally would have picked the mattress first, and then it was hilarious that he suggested getting "an outfit we can share". Definitely wouldn't work for all couples. 

I just found their overall backstory the most interesting. I never would have guessed he lost 125 lbs in the past 6 months!!! He didn't look like he had any loose skin at all. Is that even healthy, though? I know men lose quicker than women, but damn. That's like 20lbs per month. 

He definitely was still carrying a lot of baggage from his fat days, though. A lot of insecurity. If she loved you at 300lbs, she's going to love you at 175! 

I shouldn't have been surprised, but I was really disappointed to hear that they split. I thought it seemed like the experience was really good for them. Even more disappointed that he quit teaching and became an Instagram fitness inspiration. What does that even MEAN???? (Maybe that's why she dumped him.)

• Love 7

I cosign every word, @ghoulina! I loved Ari and Ryan and was sad to see that they's split up. And I was disappointed to see that Ryan gave up his teaching job to be a shill on instagram. That made me wonder a bit about the image he was projecting in the show, the simple guy who just cared about getting healthy and having a happy life, not to mention his ambivalent attitude toward Ariana's modeling. On the one hand, he loves having the hot girl as his girlfriend. On the other, he's insecure and jealous. She seemed so much more in touch with her emotions.

I'm always most interested in what people choose from the pod each day. I laughed like a hyena when Ari chose a hair tie! Girl, what? 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I'm always most interested in what people choose from the pod each day. I laughed like a hyena when Ari chose a hair tie! Girl, what? 

Haha, it seems like such a little thing, but she did have really long hair. I can't imagine not being able to put that up while exercising. 

He got REALLY quiet when she decided to get her phone back. I bet he could use the internet at work. She did need it for jobs, but it does seem like electronics are a slippery slope - she was doing a lot more than looking at work emails. 

• Love 2

Yeah, it was Ari's choice to get her phone that seemed to sour things for Ryan. I could understand her justification since she needed access to her email and texts, but It looked as though she had internet access in their building's common area, so she could at least check her email a couple of times a day quite easily.  

I guess the hair tie made me laugh so much because they were so resourceful in other ways, but she couldn't come up with a way to tie her hair up. Its so interesting to see what people choose, and why.

• Love 3

The hair tie thing was even more ridiculous when every shot for the next few days showed her with her hair down, except once riding the bike at the gym. Plus she wore his hoodie! It was amazing how quickly she became completely isolated when she got her cell phone back. And the excuse was terrible since there didn't seem to be a reason she had to wait until after five to check her email. It isn't like she did anything else all day. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Last night's couple was my favorite so far. I thought they were really creative and scrappy. Raiding the laundry room before heading for their first storage retrieval was a great idea. They have a really nice apartment complex - complimentary laptop?! What the what what???

I totally would have picked the mattress first, and then it was hilarious that he suggested getting "an outfit we can share". Definitely wouldn't work for all couples. 

I just found their overall backstory the most interesting. I never would have guessed he lost 125 lbs in the past 6 months!!! He didn't look like he had any loose skin at all. Is that even healthy, though? I know men lose quicker than women, but damn. That's like 20lbs per month. 

He definitely was still carrying a lot of baggage from his fat days, though. A lot of insecurity. If she loved you at 300lbs, she's going to love you at 175! 

I shouldn't have been surprised, but I was really disappointed to hear that they split. I thought it seemed like the experience was really good for them. Even more disappointed that he quit teaching and became an Instagram fitness inspiration. What does that even MEAN???? (Maybe that's why she dumped him.)

She loved him at 300 lbs and all the things she said about his character and then he completely changed himself over his obsession. She probably didn't like the person he became. Just because you get in shape doesn't mean you have to give up your life and become an Instagram douche.

3 hours ago, Michichick said:

I was sad that the couple from last night split up. He was pretty insecure, though. That would be hard to deal with in a partner. Their garbage-picking was pretty good and also gross. Vomit on clothes, ewww!

He was insecure but at least he was nice about it and open to discussion. He never really accused her of anything but took ownership of the fact that it was his problem within himself. I could deal with a man like that. However he then decided to try to keep up with her and become a model of some sort and she obviously didn't want to be with another shallow model. She deals with them at work and I doubt she wanted to come home to one. It's sad because she really seemed to love her school teacher man. He fucked up.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I guess the hair tie made me laugh so much because they were so resourceful in other ways, but she couldn't come up with a way to tie her hair up.

That's so true! I didn't think of that, but yea - look at how they repurposed the plastic they took from the trash room as a shower curtain. So yea, she should have been able to find something else. 

27 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

She loved him at 300 lbs and all the things she said about his character and then he completely changed himself over his obsession. She probably didn't like the person he became. Just because you get in shape doesn't mean you have to give up your life and become an Instagram douche.

Very valid point. She was busting her butt making all that food for him too. It seems like she was prepared to make changes and help him out, but he ended up taking it too far. I'll say it again, really really disappointed that he gave up his teaching job to pose on Instagram. 

• Love 6

I had no problem with her taking her phone early on.  Remember that, when she first checked her email on (what?) day three, she'd missed a casting call and cost herself potentially the $8000.00 fee if she'd answered the call and gotten the gig.  I'm a contractor and I understand how it might be to miss out on something when one isn't salaried.

I also was shocked and sad when the screen at the end of the show said they broke up.  It looked as though they were starting to make some good in-roads to understanding both of their backgrounds and deficiencies - remember, in addition to his weight loss issues, she had her own issues to deal with.  One thing with extreme weight loss I've heard about - yes, the person has lost the weight, but all the other personal issues are still there and have to be dealt with.  For those that watch 600 lb. life, this is why Dr. Now often suggests therapy in conjunction with the surgery.  This isn't at all uncommon,

• Love 2

Well this episode answered one question - Ryan was able to get a "uniform" to wear for work hours. Also glad to see Ariana cruised the market for samples!

It was smart to get some pieces they both could wear. I don't blame Ariana for getting a hair tie because exercising with your long hair down sucks, although I agree they probably could have been more resourceful - maybe Ryan could have brought home a pencil or they could have gotten a free pen somewhere.

His demeanor totally changed after the cell phone, but I think getting out of his routine really threw him for a loop too. Ariana looks totally different with makeup.

Sad to see they broke up - she actually seemed very into him.

• Love 2

When I first saw the "Two weeks after the show..." line I thought it was going to say the got engaged.  I was kind of surprised that they broke up and it was only 2 weeks after filming.  They had some problems but didn't seem on the verge of a break up.

• Love 2

I think every episode, they got something soft to sleep on first thing, right? (I have a rotten memory.)

And there hasn't been one episode where they went entirely without someone getting their cell phone, I don't think.  

I guess it really must suck sleeping naked on a hard floor (nobody had wall to wall carpet, did they?)

9 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

I guess it really must suck sleeping naked on a hard floor (nobody had wall to wall carpet, did they?)

it would really be smart to do WtW in one room before doing this show!

• Love 2
12 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

I think every episode, they got something soft to sleep on first thing, right? (I have a rotten memory.)

And there hasn't been one episode where they went entirely without someone getting their cell phone, I don't think.  

Yea, the first couple, the dude picked the couch right away. But I think the three girls took a bit to get their mattress. Not forever, but I think it was a few days. I could NOT sleep on hard floors. We have carpet in our bedrooms, so that might be doable. 

ETA - I say all this as my 6-year-old is laying on our kitchen floor and when I ask why she tells me, "because it's comfortable". 

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 2

I'm enjoying this show a lot ... I was afraid it was going to be another Naked Dating, but it's really interesting to see people cope with life without stuff. I'm looking at my own life ... with closets full of clothes I don't wear and shelves full of books I haven't read. 

• Love 5

I think this show is borderline offensive.  There are many real people who lose their jobs, their homes, everything.  Maybe these people would do better on an experiment like Frontier House or something like that.

And why do they have to be naked?  I think that’s a bit much.

• Love 3
On December 20, 2017 at 8:20 AM, ghoulina said:

They have a really nice apartment complex - complimentary laptop?! What the what what???

That's not unusual.  I have a cousin who used to live in DC, in her building they had a complementary gym, computer room and every morning there would be muffins for the taking.  

I don't get why they weren't allowed food, that's kind of dangerous.  Also cell phones are important for safety reasons as well as for work.  I also don't get why they start out naked in the beginning, that's stupid IMO.

He got REALLY quiet when she decided to get her phone back. I bet he could use the internet at work. She did need it for jobs, but it does seem like electronics are a slippery slope - she was doing a lot more than looking at work emails. 

Ryan was such a jerk.  Ariana was with HIM.  She was with HIM when he was heavy.  If she was with HIM when HE was heavy, that means she's not fucking shallow.

However, Ryan was fucking shallow, and that was the problem.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 2

They are given food.  In fact, the pouches they were eating from look like the freeze-dried stuff my husband takes to the Boundary Waters - called something like Mountain Home.

ETA:  thought I heard them say on one of the first eps that it was enough for five days?

Edited by b2H
  • Love 1

Last night's girls rubbed me really wrong at first. I found them to be very spoiled and....stupid. I mean, they are able to bum $20 and they waste it on ONE meal at a restaurant? Instead of taking it to the grocery store and getting food to last for several days? Just dumb. I wasn't overly impressed with any of their choices for most of the show. 

But then, at the end, when they stopped getting stuff from storage....and actually ended up GIVING their pillows to a homeless person, I thought maybe this experiment was really having an effect on them. They seemed actually disgusted when their stuff was brought back. 

Although....who wouldn't be disgusted by 168 perfumes??? I didn't even realize there were that many scents out there. 

I wish this show would do a longer-term follow-up at the end of the season. I'd be curious to know if the changes people made were still in effect. 

And this show is the prime example of why couples on House Hunters shouldn't be so quick to poo-poo carpet.....at least in some of the rooms. 

• Love 2

I liked the women last night. They seemed to take a lot of longer-term lessons away from the show. I agree that I'd love to see some follow up after a year or so, to see what really stuck. I do think that having all your stuff packed up would provide an excellent opportunity to declutter when it came time to unpack again.

That was just odd when they found that bag of clothes buried in the ground. I really have no idea what the heck that was all about.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I mean, they are able to bum $20 and they waste it on ONE meal at a restaurant?

Remember later in the show when they both admitted they had no idea how to cook.  They have been living on take-out food, three meals a day.  It was during an exchange with their parents during the 21 days.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, b2H said:

Remember later in the show when they both admitted they had no idea how to cook.  They have been living on take-out food, three meals a day.  It was during an exchange with their parents during the 21 days.

I didn't expect them to get stuff that needed cooking - seeing as how unlocking the stove is another item. But they could have purchased fruit, nuts, crackers, etc. Things they could eat off of for longer and wouldn't need an appliance. That's what I would have done anyhow. 

I ended up liking the sisters quite a bit. They did put me off a little at first, they seemed silly, vain and shallow. Obsessed with being "cute", and weirdly co-dependent, not only with each other but with their parents. Scared of getting older so they voluntarily lived as perpetual adolescents. But I did like them by the end. I'm always most amused/interested in what people choose from their pods every day. Getting the shirt they could cut into two pieces was pretty clever!

• Love 3

This show is so stupid.  What is the point of making them take off all their clothes and have to walk, naked, through the streets, to a storage unit a half mile away.  That’s just dumb.  And why lock up the appliances?  Some things are  necessities you know. And why couldn’t the sisters keep their tips?  They earned them.

Edited by Neurochick
14 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

I liked Patty tonight.  She seemed to show some ingenuity and just had a good attitude about the situation in general. 

I think she's had it hard, with her brother dying and her parents splitting up.  She is probably one of the most 'together' individuals I've seen in a while.  I'm glad Rai has Patty in her life.  Rai learned a lot during all of this, but she wouldn't have gotten through it all without Patty.

• Love 4