Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: We Interrupt This Program

1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Hopefully we get some follow up to the Zona soldiers invading Camp Northern Light.

The sneak peek does have Kaya and ... Mad Doctor Zona! He's one of the intruders and he waves at the security camera. The gang is in Green Bay. They hear Kaya's mayday and find the TV station.  Yes, things are finally tying together in a broad sense.

Z Nation Season 4 Episode 9 Sneak Peek

8 hours ago, 10kfever said:

Might be interesting. I hope it's not just gimmick of the week.

Doesn't sound like a gimmick. Promising plot development and move forward at last!

• Love 2

Cat and mouse in the Arctic. Citizen Z lives! Love Kaya even more. Black Rainbow is real! Looks like Zona got what they were after and vamoosed. Got a touch nostalgic seeing the floppy diskette. What's next - cassette tapes? 8 track? More after a rewatch.

• Love 1

Now this was fun, best episode of the season so far.  Loved the tv station characters.  I didn't think Citizen Z was coming back so I was glad to see him. 

At least the black rainbow stuff is starting to come together and make sense and maybe Warren will get that wondering look out of her eyes, once and for all.

8 hours ago, GreyBunny said:

Where's Pup?!  What happened to Citizen Z's dog?

Pup was nowhere to be seen.  Where did he go ?

2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Now this was fun, best episode of the season so far.  Loved the tv station characters.  I didn't think Citizen Z was coming back so I was glad to see him. 

At least the black rainbow stuff is starting to come together and make sense and maybe Warren will get that wondering look out of her eyes, once and for all.

That was fun -- I especially liked how the guy in the control room kept the news crawl up to date, and kept typing as he was being attacked.

13 hours ago, Machiabelly said:

Poor reporter lady.

Did she kill herself on the roof and then turn -- since the Action New 9 helicopter never got to her ?  Poor Carly.

9 hours ago, GreyBunny said:

Where's Pup?!  What happened to Citizen Z's dog?

I thought it was Pup that Junior Z was stomping at outside the facility with Kaya. First she admonished him about teasing the zombie then said something about zombie puppy.

Did anyone notice the references in Carly's weather forecast - rainbow, puppies and kittens, the world needs more puppies and kittens. I thought that the way they had the lower thirds titling while the team was hearing Kaya's SOS was a signal that they we were merging past and present. I really liked the way the time shifts were done. It flowed one into the other like the opening of the TV SUV's back door,  going up the staircase with zombies in pursuit, the zombie intern in the lavatory. It's hard to integrate flashbacks and these were done so well. They contributed to the story instead of interrupting it. Plus, this episode told 3 different stories at the same time and made it all work coherently while being highly entertaining. 

So, Citizen Z trudged along from the crash site for 2 years. Then the Zona copter passed over him on the way to Northern Lights. He did not know about mad Z. Hmm, did they start in the lower 48 then spread?

Takeaways:

- Murphy's zombie control powers are kicking in. It's not at the previous level yet but I think that may be forthcoming.

- I think Doc would come in tops at any game of Trivial Pursuit.

- Warren is vindicated at last! Ok, she still has no idea what's going on but she knows she hasn't gone bonkers crazy. 

- RIP Uncle. RIP Action News 9. RIP Carly. I think Carly died on the roof through starvation, despair or suicide. I really wanted her to be found alive.

- Kaya and Simon make a great team. More please!

- The Black Rainbow is some kind of government operation or project. What Zona plans to do with it Is anyone's guess. Was Black Rainbow the start of the zombie virus or the end of it?

1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Could not agree more on the TV cast. Talk about dying for your art. Anchorman meet Emmy (local but still it's an Emmy).

It brought home the suddenness of the zombie infection. Most experts believe that any worldwide pandemic will spread through air travel. 

P.S. Any holes and illogic in this episode (heck, all episodes ever), I sweep under the blanket named Dramatic License. Season 4 is building up to another humdinger of a cliffhanger with lots on questions looking for answers.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, 51Muses said:

I thought it was Pup that Junior Z was stomping at outside the facility with Kaya. First she admonished him about teasing the zombie then said something about zombie puppy.

It brought home the suddenness of the zombie infection. Most experts believe that any worldwide pandemic will spread through air travel.

Aww, Puppy. I thought she was just referencing your average zombie when she said frozen puppy since they call zombies puppies and kittens. If it really was Puppy, I'm devastated!

While the plane was infected, so was the lady in the bathroom when Carly went to wipe off her face. Whatever started the z-apocalypse had already spread before the plane crash zombies began attacking. This does make it seem like it all suddenly started at once, rather than a patient zero slow spread.

It does make me wonder what killed the women in the bathroom. An unfortunately timed heart attack? Taco food poisoning?

Edited by Zanne
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Zanne said:

It does make me wonder what killed the women in the bathroom. An unfortunately timed heart attack? Taco food poisoning?

It was Taco Tuesday after all.  And as Jack Kingman said, never have Mexican before a newscast.

I just realized that the Z that Doc killed in the bathroom was Doug the intern, the guy that accompanied Carly to the bathroom (and was killed by Helen).  Though he somehow changed stalls during the intervening 8 years.

Doc exits the bathroom
Doc: "Something horrible happened in there."
Murphy: "TMI man. Have a little class ?"
Doc: "No, I mean zombies. Never mind, though I did appreciate the twin ply. You know Green Bay is the toilet paper capital of the world. The first to have splinter-free TP." 

How was there still running water in the news building bathrooms after 8 years ?

The bow on the next of Carly's dress switched sides between shots when she was a Z on the roof of the building.

23 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

How was there still running water in the news building bathrooms after 8 years ?

The bow on the next of Carly's dress switched sides between shots when she was a Z on the roof of the building.

Otto, it's all time wimey wibble wobble, mirror universe, dramatic license. Or maybe there was a backup water tank somewhere. It may not have been municipal. I would think a TV station would have more surplus supplies than most because they have to be broadcast through emergencies and disasters. They also mentioned the place was relatively untouched. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, 51Muses said:

So, Citizen Z trudged along from the crash site for 2 years. Then the Zona copter passed over him on the way to Northern Lights. He did not know about mad Z. Hmm, did they start in the lower 48 then spread?

The Mad Zs are a pretty new phenomenon; remember, the sergeant at the convoy ambush site was the first Mad Z either the Newmerica soldiers or the Zona troops had ever encountered - and that's not more than a month or so back storyline-wise.  If Camp Northern Lights is truly in the immediate vicinity of the North Pole, then Simon would probably have been on foot somewhere at the extreme edge of the Arctic Circle and heading north at the same time; not exactly a locale chock-full of handy stopping places to pick up tidbits of daily news.  :)

RIP Carly. I think Carly died on the roof through starvation, despair or suicide. I really wanted her to be found alive.

Same here, but there was no chance of that happening - not unless the TV station just happened to have eight years worth of MREs stashed on an open rooftop in case of the odd zombie apocalypse.  Low percentage odds, that.

What bugs me the most, though...

• The Zs never made it to Carly; OBM had to push past her packing case barricade, so the Zs never made it through.
  • The Action 9 helicopter never made it to Carly; it crashed, leaving her on the roof.
  • At last view Carly was unharmed in any way, other than some blood spatter - definitely not bit.

...so a major question to me is - Why did Carly turn?

This is precisely the worst-case disaster scenario for any of the Biosafety Level Four pathogens: that a contagious infected person should make it undetected to an airport, board a flight, and travel successfully to an international air hub - and in the process infect dozens of people who will then disperse to points all over the globe.  

Up until recently, the one saving grace of the really nasty stuff had been its tendency to kill off its hosts too quickly for them to disperse much geographically; historically cases had usually surfaced in small remote villages, and infection victims generally died before they could travel to the next nearest village.  Ebola, however, recently gave us a nice little looky-look at how nasty things can get if an infection vector does make it to a significant population center.  Look at what happened in Guinea and Liberia off a single Patient Zero vector; now multiply that by 200+ passengers in a Boeing, and spread them out across 200+ connecting flights all over the world.  The Africa outbreaks were contained solely because the governments immediately closed their borders, and all outbound travelers were immediately quarantined and tested before being allowed to travel - and 17 cases still slipped through, caught only by redundant testing procedures at their points of destination.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, 51Muses said:

I I think Carly died on the roof through starvation, despair or suicide. I really wanted her to be found alive.

Me too, but as @Nashville said, the odds of that were pretty much nil.

So apparently, the Kill-Em-All gang's power of leaving no one they encounter alive can time travel to kill a group eight freaking years before they even show up!  This group is lethal!

18 hours ago, Nashville said:

What bugs me the most, though...

• The Zs never made it to Carly; OBM had to push past her packing case barricade, so the Zs never made it through.
  • The Action 9 helicopter never made it to Carly; it crashed, leaving her on the roof.
  • At last view Carly was unharmed in any way, other than some blood spatter - definitely not bit.

...so a major question to me is - Why did Carly turn?

I think everyone turns when they die in the Z Nation universe same as the Walking Dead universe.   If I'm recalling correctly, one of the first scenes is Warren giving mercy to an old woman who apparently died of old age so that she wouldn't come back.

• Love 2

I felt oddly bad for Carly.  I guess we weren't supposed to like her because she was self absorbed, but she just seemed very focused on her career to me.  She even seemed to be fonder of her young male assistant than he would have thought.  She must have been too frightened to even try to get off the roof and get past the zombies because the suitcases were still stacked up in front of the door.  She probably died of dehydration, or possibly exposure.

One thing that bothered me:  Warren is in Canada and is walking toward the US, while they are looking for something to boost their communications signal.  Next thing we know, they're in Green Bay.  But Green Bay is not really that close to Canada.  They would have had to drive through the upper peninsula of Michigan and then come down the coast of Lake Michigan until they reached Green Bay.  Green Bay is nearly 300 miles from Canada.  Surely they could have found some communications equipment closer than that.

20 hours ago, MrPissyPuppy said:

I think everyone turns when they die in the Z Nation universe same as the Walking Dead universe.   If I'm recalling correctly, one of the first scenes is Warren giving mercy to an old woman who apparently died of old age so that she wouldn't come back.

This show did not explain? Viewers just assume that everyone turns when they die. 

I really liked this episode. It was great to see more of Kaya and see Citizen Z back. I loved Kaya's comment about passive aggressively hitting Citizen Z in the head for knocking her up then leaving for two years lol

I loved the transitions between the present day with the group and what happened at the news station in the past. I was also glad to see the story moving along or at least having more events connected together. This season has been moving along very slowly and nothing has really been happening storywise, but at least this was a really enjoyable episode. 

I am disappointed they never showed what happened to Carly, but I think we are just supposed to assume the chopper crashed before it got to her and she died on the roof.

• Love 1

One of the best episodes of the season so far, IMO. I like how the the flashbacks to the outbreak were juxtaposed with the present day. Looks like the outbreak happened all at once since someone in the newsroom had already turned even before any of them came into contact with the plane zombies. Poor Carly, I was rooting for her. She seemed smart and was so close to making it. Since she didn't seem to have any supplies with her, I'm guessing she died from starvation and/or dehydration. I couldn't help but laugh at the scrolling news updates at the bottom, though. 

It was good to see Citizen Z again, and he finally got to meet his son. Kaya is awesome as always. Glad they finally made contact with Warren and the others, and whatever the Zona people were after, it confirms that Warren's visions are real. 

4 hours ago, piequinn35 said:

This show did not explain? Viewers just assume that everyone turns when they die. 

If you remember in the very first episode of S1, there was a baby that died without being bit and it turned almost immediately (and developed superspeed at the same time,, because that kid got around).

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

If you remember in the very first episode of S1, there was a baby that died without being bit and it turned almost immediately (and developed superspeed at the same time,, because that kid got around).

Probably - but my memory isn't what it used to be.  :)

On 11/26/2017 at 11:50 PM, rmontro said:

I felt oddly bad for Carly.  I guess we weren't supposed to like her because she was self absorbed, but she just seemed very focused on her career to me.  She even seemed to be fonder of her young male assistant than he would have thought.  She must have been too frightened to even try to get off the roof and get past the zombies because the suitcases were still stacked up in front of the door.  She probably died of dehydration, or possibly exposure.

12 hours ago, phalange said:

Poor Carly, I was rooting for her. She seemed smart and was so close to making it. Since she didn't seem to have any supplies with her, I'm guessing she died from starvation and/or dehydration.

I certainly felt sorry for her.  I couldn't root for her because the odds of her surviving for eight years was just too much, but I loved her "spunk".  (The smarmy news-anchor has been done to death -- I could have lived without that.)

• Love 1