Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: B-R-I-- BRITISH I-N-V-- INVASION

Drogo

Maya's mother, Andrea, comes for Thanksgiving, sending the family into a tailspin preparing to impress their established grandmother who they haven't seen in years. In other events, Jimmy deals with getting older and what that means for his oddly impressive digestive system; and Cedric dreads spending Thanksgiving with his overbearing father, the Colonel.

Wow, there was a lot going on in this one... I will say that I think it certainly did a better job than last year's Thanksgiving episode (1x7) of making room for guest stars while continuing to offer insight into the main characters and explore their dynamics. 

For starters, I could see why Maya would have "mentioning my mother" on her "dead to me" list! :D Seriously, though, considering that she grew up in the shadow of a well-known cancer-researcher who always put her work ahead of her family (unless I missed a line or something, I wonder where her dad is/was during all of this...), I could understand Maya having wanted to get as far away from her mom as she possibly could and yet still desperately seeking her approval on the rare occasions they reunite.

However, while it was sweet that it turned out to be Jimmy's idea for Andrea to visit (supposedly for the first time in 5 years), I'm not sure what else he was expecting from it if he dislikes what his mother-in-law brings out of his wife so much -- unless of course, this time he hoped to convince Maya that it might go a lot better than past visits if she could just be herself and not try so hard to impress for once (in which case, if he hadn't ended up falling into such a deep funk over his failure to finish the Godzilla Sushi Roll, and she hadn't been so quick to send him away with his brother, maybe she might have realized sooner what he'd had in mind)...

Speaking of brother, bummer about Uncle Billy -- since we last saw him, Audrey left him and took Duncan and the baby -- but it was nice to see more of his and Jimmy's relationship (beyond their class differences as touched upon in 1x7). Also, good to know there's something else Jimmy does really well (the power-eating thing) besides wheelchair costumes. ;)

Interesting to see for the first time how the kids fare with one of their grandparents; how fitting that Ray would have no problem with doing whatever he had to do to impress Grandma Andrea, while JJ and Dylan would have a harder time pretending to be what they're not (I thought it was especially funny how Taylor and her brother Logan -- JJ's rival from camp? xD -- ended up standing in for them). 

I was a bit baffled by the reveal about Kenneth and his dad; I had assumed from a couple references in s.1 (referring to his dad as "The Colonel" in 1x7, and a line about having moved around a lot in 1x11) that Kenneth had a military-brat upbringing, but I guess it's possible that their having had a singing act together ("The Colonel" having been just a stage name) would've involved a great deal of uprooting too. (Also, I seem to recall in 1x7, Kenneth saying that his dad usually has Thanksgiving with his mom and his sister Kendall; I had to wonder why no mention of them this time...)

Anyway, good to see Rob Corddry (Billy) again, great casting of Holland Taylor as Andrea and Keith David as The Colonel, and I hope we see Logan again too. :)

ETA: Nice pick of song for The Colonel to sing with Maya, but I thought this version (Kripke and Zack performing karaoke at Sheldon's party on 'The Big Bang Theory') was pretty funny too...

(P.S.: For any BBT fans in the house, JRB reprises his role as Kripke on this week's episode, "The Tesla Recoil.")

Edited by GRChereck
  • Love 3

I know that this is a snark board but I can't find any fault with this show at all. I really liked this episode and think that the parents have a great relationship with all of their kids. Nice to see Holland Taylor again and the actor who played Kenneth's dad. It was pretty funny to see JJ say good bye to the kid from camp, but I can't actually remember what their feud was about.

• Love 4

You left out The Thing.

I also liked it more than last year's Thanksgiving show, mostly because the guests were funnier. I can't wait to find out what the JJ/Logan incident was.

The Goldbergs also used an Elton John tune last night.

• Love 3

What a fantastic episode this was. Which only further pisses me off when remembering 'fans' disappointed in this year's Halloween episode. It's obvious that was just a super fun Kenneth dream ep! The writers on this show are sooo good. Now with SHIPPING and BRITISH INVASION it's more clear the show is back to it's regular genius-ness. Back to this week's, SO fantastic! Andrea and The Colonel were great additions. Loved seeing Maya rattled. Kenneth and his Dad's relationship was the best. 'YOU FOUND ME??!" I want to see their act! The Colonel and Lil Kenny??! LOL!

• Love 3

Any episode with Keith David singing is atomically a classic, the fact that the rest of the episode was great was just the cherry on top! 

I liked seeing Mayas relationship with her mom, and the issues she has with her, and it was sweet that Jimmy was trying so hard to help make her Thanksgiving a happy one and connect her with her mother. I also liked seeing Billy again, even though his life seems to have taken some rather crappy turns. I mean...that hairpiece...

I hope we get a continued rivalry between JJ and Taylor's brother, its pretty amazing. As long as it doesn't mess Taylor and Ray up, they really are just perfect for each other. Or, should I call Ray "Raymond"...

• Love 2

I really enjoyed the episode. Great guest stars. I really liked how Taylor and her brother were willing to jump in and help by playing other people. 

The guests were great. Love Holland Taylor (and glad she is still around) was she really a “world renowned” researcher? Because it seems to me, that after all the years of research and sacrificing time with her family, she has absolutely nothing to show for it....except for dead rats? Based on the research I’ve done the past few years, there is quite a lot of cancer research out there - though the expert I most recently listened to got her start at the NIH in America, so maybe that makes a difference? 

I would like to know what happened to Maya’s dad..though my guess would be divorce.

And I’m a little shocked that Jimmy would go into a Sushi restaurant , having seafood allergies, and not confirm the ingredients in the dish. I’m allergic to seafood (and heat and gluten) and I always ask about ingredients. And I had to give up fish as well for other reasons.

Edited by neuromom
  • Love 2

I didn't like this episode. I felt there was too much going on and everything felt rushed. I would have focused this episode on Maya and her mother and Kenneth and his father and saved the Jimmy being a big eater for another show. I like episodes that focus on just the Dimeo family like Sick Day and Road Trip. I had the same problem with Oscar Party.

5 hours ago, neuromom said:

I really enjoyed the episode. Great guest stars. I really liked how Taylor and her brother were willing to jump in and help by playing other people. 

The guests were great. Love Holland Taylor (and glad she is still around) was she really a “world renowned” researcher? Because it seems to me, that after all the years of research and sacrificing time with her family, she has absolutely nothing to show for it....except for dead rats? Based on the research I’ve done the past few years, there is quite a lot of cancer research out there - though the expert I most recently listened to got her start at the NIH in America, so maybe that makes a difference? 

I would like to know what happened to Maya’s dad..though my guess would be divorce.

And I’m a little shocked that Jimmy would go into a Sushi restaurant , having seafood allergies, and not confirm the ingredients in the dish. I’m allergic to seafood (and heat and gluten) and I always ask about ingredients. And I had to give up fish as well for other reasons.

Maybe she focuses on a rare cancer? She also seemed like she is the kind of person who would consider anything short of a cure to be nothing. So she probably just has dead rats with failed cures for whatever cancer she is testing it on.

The sushi C-plot let the show demonstrate its mild absurdity, with Taylor just offering up her brother's epi-pen so Jimmy could finish the sushi (And, well, making the table's meal free).

Edited by bros402
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, bros402 said:

The sushi C-plot let the show demonstrate its mild absurdity, with Taylor just offering up her brother's epi-pen so Jimmy could finish the sushi (And, well, making the table's meal free).

I wonder how much it will cost the Dimeos to replace the epi-pen,

• Love 2
21 hours ago, bros402 said:
On 11/17/2017 at 3:45 AM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I wonder how much it will cost the Dimeos to replace the epi-pen,

Whatever Taylor's brother's co-pay is!

Hopefully not too much.

Epi-pens are notoriously pricey.  Since the brother didn't use the epi-pen on himself, he may not be entitled to a new one under his insurance  policy, otherwise people could give them to uninsured people who need them and get another one covered by their insurance.

Also, once someone uses an epi-pen, he needs to get to a hospital, because all that adrenalin can be dangerous. I also don't know what kind of shrimp allergy Jimmy has where he ate 2/3 of that huge sushi roll yesterday and 99.99% of it today, and his only symptom was an inability to finish both rolls. It really undercuts the seriousness of actual food allergies. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Epi-pens are notoriously pricey.  Since the brother didn't use the epi-pen on himself, he may not be entitled to a new one under his insurance  policy, otherwise people could give them to uninsured people who need them and get another one covered by their insurance.

Also, once someone uses an epi-pen, he needs to get to a hospital, because all that adrenalin can be dangerous. I also don't know what kind of shrimp allergy Jimmy has where he ate 2/3 of that huge sushi roll yesterday and 99.99% of it today, and his only symptom was an inability to finish both rolls. It really undercuts the seriousness of actual food allergies. 

The insurance company wouldn't know he didn't use it on himself - my mom has epipens she carries around (Bee allergy) - and she usually renews them around 8 months after getting them. No questions from insurance. I think there would only be questions if they started making dozens of renewals a year without a doctors note (But if that happened, the insurance would probably be like "please are allergy shots an option for this? we would like you to become cheaper!")> Yeah, someone needs to head to the hospital after using an epi-pen because they need to be monitored to make sure they don't need any more medications in the event of anaphylactic shock.

I am also wondering what Jimmy's allergy is - maybe it just makes him a bit itchy, or some GI distress.

Imagine if they keep it as something - maybe Jimmy has some shrimp in the future, and his reaction is worse (which can happen with allergies) - so instead of one of the kids in the hospital, it's Jimmy.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, bros402 said:

The insurance company wouldn't know he didn't use it on himself - my mom has epipens she carries around (Bee allergy) - and she usually renews them around 8 months after getting them. No questions from insurance. I think there would only be questions if they started making dozens of renewals a year without a doctors note (But if that happened, the insurance would probably be like "please are allergy shots an option for this? we would like you to become cheaper!")> Yeah, someone needs to head to the hospital after using an epi-pen because they need to be monitored to make sure they don't need any more medications in the event of anaphylactic shock.

I am also wondering what Jimmy's allergy is - maybe it just makes him a bit itchy, or some GI distress.

Imagine if they keep it as something - maybe Jimmy has some shrimp in the future, and his reaction is worse (which can happen with allergies) - so instead of one of the kids in the hospital, it's Jimmy.

My assumption is that the allergy must be pretty severe if they needed an epi-pen. I was shocked as well that they didn’t immediately head to the hospital.  From my experience, an allergic reaction may be different on different occasions. I have a wheat and gluten allergy...and ONE crouton had me feeling like my throat was going to close up. Yet, on another occasion, I was able to eat half a Pita , given to me in error at a Disneyland hotel, and it just gave me minor stomach pains and running nose. 

Edited by neuromom
3 hours ago, neuromom said:

My assumption is that the allergy must be pretty severe if they needed an epi-pen. I was shocked as well that they didn’t immediately head to the hospital.  From my experience, an allergic reaction may be different on different occasions. I have a wheat and gluten allergy...and ONE crouton had me feeling like my throat was going to close up. Yet, on another occasion, I was able to eat half a Pita , given to me in error at a Disneyland hotel, and it just gave me minor stomach pains and running nose. 

I took them using the Epi-Pen on Jimmy as a bit of comedic exaggeration - so the audience would know for sure "oh he has an allergy because they are using an epi-pen!"

• Love 4
On 11/17/2017 at 3:57 PM, Crs97 said:

Was it just me, or did Holland's British accent come and go?  Parts were hilarious, but it wasn't my favorite episode.

i was just going to post about this. it was one of the worst attempts at a british accent i have ever heard. surprised more people have not mentioned it. it ruined the episode for me. terrible. should have gotten someone that knows how to speak in accent. not believable at all as the mother. in voice or looks.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Yes, I typically enjoy Holland Taylor, but she was miscast here and clearly phoning it in.  There are so many British actresses who would have been so much better; odd choice.

When I first heard about the casting, I thought it kind of hypocritical considering that Maya wasn't originally written as British, but Scott Silveri insisted Minnie use her real accent (plus, the writers were willing to rewrite the character for her) because he said something about how easy it is to spot a fake and it takes the viewer out of the story. I mean, I get there's a difference between the star of your show and a possibly one-time guest shot, but the very problem Silveri had wanted to avoid with Maya is exactly what has happened with Maya's mother. :\

ETA: On the other hand, I wonder if it was a deliberate move, given the character's pretentiousness. I don't know if anybody here remembers the film 'An Education' (2009), but I seem to recall Peter Sarsgaard had a similarly shaky Brit accent in that; yet in a funny way, I think the fakeness sort of worked for the kind of character he was playing (shady, not all he was cracked up to be). 

Edited by GRChereck
additional thoughts

Funny thing is that Holland was also on Good Behavior this week and had a British accent, but this time they acknowledge that it is fake and the British actor (who had a thick southern accent) mentions that her accent is bad.  Maybe she shouldn't shoot guest roles so close together!

11 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Funny thing is that Holland was also on Good Behavior this week and had a British accent, but this time they acknowledge that it is fake and the British actor (who had a thick southern accent) mentions that her accent is bad.  Maybe she shouldn't shoot guest roles so close together!

why the heck did they cast her in this. ruined the episode for me.