Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Chapter Sixty-Nine

When Adam reveals his dating past to Jane, the information puts a strain on their relationship. Lina seeks Jane's advice about whether she should get married and begs Jane to give her honest opinion about her fiancé. Petra hears some important information that could help Rafael get the hotel back, but Rafael is more concerned about his sister's well-being. Meanwhile, Xo asks Rogelio to consider having a medical procedure done, but Rogelio is very hesitant.

Promo:

While I get that Jane was knocked off balance by Lina’s request to determine if her fiance was a good match, that she seemed to think that the whole 1930 murder mystery bachelor party was dull seemed inconsistent with her character. Lit nerd Jane would be totally into that idea.

Strong episode overall.  Lina’s not being a regular presence conversely means that when she does appear the show has more definitive ideas about what to do with her. In the early seasons the show would every so often really focus on that friendship, and it always worked; the rest of the time, the writers struggled to fit Lina into the show when Xiomara typically performed all the functions that the heroine’s best friend normally would (particularly since Xo and Lina are extremely similar personalities).

I’m disappointed that it seems unlikely my “Luisa burns down the Marbella” wish from last week seems unlikely to happen, but this plot took some interesting turns here, and I liked the belatedly more sympathetic take on Luisa (who, really, is one of the most psychologically messed-with people on TV).

• Love 4
7 hours ago, SeanC said:

I’m disappointed that it seems unlikely my “Luisa burns down the Marbella” wish from last week seems unlikely to happen, but this plot took some interesting turns here, and I liked the belatedly more sympathetic take on Luisa (who, really, is one of the most psychologically messed-with people on TV).

I cannot figure out why Luisa is so quick to screw Raf over. He's basically been the only one consistently in her corner despite her many screw ups and her continued involvement with Rose is beyond the pale. I wish they would really lean into the obvious abusive aspects of the Luisa Rose relationship.

• Love 7

I hated the whole Lina questioning whether she should marry Danny storyline because it was based on Lina's sisters butting in and basically saying that Danny is not wild enough. Lina seemed perfectly happy with Danny until they did their sistervention and planted doubt in her mind.

As for Lina's belief that she and Danny were incompatible because he planned a murder mystery party for their bachelor/bachelorette party, that was a lack of communication. She could have spoken up and said she wanted to do something else. Instead she said nothing and then assumed it meant that he picked something boring because he isn't wild and crazy and doesn't know her well.

I'm glad she finally realized that she loves Danny because of, not in spite of, his lists and his steadiness. Who you end up with might not be who you expected. Sometimes that's because you change and what you want changes. A fun wild party guy is great when you're 20, but is that who you want to be your kid's dad? Besides, Danny showed that he knows how to have fun. Any guy who is willing to strip down in front of your friends and family can't be THAT boring!

As soon as Xiomara said she forgot to take her pill, I knew that there would be some sort of drama. I'm glad it was just a vasectomy, not Xo getting pregnant again.

Poor Luisa.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3

As horrible as it is that Magda tricked everyone into thinking that Luisa is mentally ill, a small part of me wants Magda to have ownership of the hotel because, out of all the people who have a stake in the Marbella, she is clearly the smartest. She and Anezka purposely had that conversation about Carl so that the assistant would overhear. Magda is an evil genius.

I was annoyed, though, that Luisa brought Carl to meet Anezka instead of Rafael. That would have resolved the plot quickly, which of course, we can't have on this show.

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, mrsbagnet said:

I was annoyed, though, that Luisa brought Carl to meet Anezka instead of Rafael. That would have resolved the plot quickly, which of course, we can't have on this show.

To me it made sense that Luisa wasn't willing to trust Rafael just yet. And if she had decided to trust him, I'm sure "Carl" would have come up with some excuse why he shouldn't meet Raf, since he ("Carl") was in on the plan.

Can anyone explain to me why the shares go to Anezka? I can see them refusing to validate Luisa's gift to Rafael since she had just committed herself. But why does that mean Anezka gets all Luisa's shares for free- that was never the plan, was it? 

Edited by betha
Because autocorrect thinks Luisa's name is Lydia
8 minutes ago, betha said:

Can anyone explain to me why the shares go to Anezka? I can see them refusing to validate Lydia's gift to Rafael since she had just committed herself. But why does that mean Anezka gets all Luisa's shares for free- that was never the plan, was it? 

I think when they bonded as discarded sisters Luisa must have made her the beneficiary.

I am over Adam. He can go now. 

I am relieved that Raf and Petra weren't in on the Luisa gaslight.

• Love 2

Oh jeez, Luisa is checking herself into rehab. How refreshing, we haven't seen THAT one before! Still, what happened to her was beyond cruel and I'm actually hoping Rose will avenge her in some way. That would be a way to make that character useful again.

Magda is about the closest thing we have to a real telenovela-style villain, and strangely enough, I kinda like it. 

Male bisexual characters are sorely lacking on TV, but sadly, TV still seems to be unable to move away from how Sex and the City did it once ages ago, which was terrible. Anyway, I suspect this was the first and the last we've heard about Adam being bisexual.

Still trying to ignore all those Ross/Rachel moments.

Phew, for a second I thought Xiomara was going to be pregnant. Glad we dodged that bullet! She and Petra are definitely my favourite characters on the show and probably the main reason why I still keep watching it. 

• Love 1

This episode would have been way more fun if it had focused more on the party and they had stuck with the 1930s setup for most of the time. It seemed like there was a lot of random stuff all crammed in, only some of which was interesting. I would have enjoyed Jane scoping out Danny and the whole vasectomy issue and the bisexuality dicussions more if that had all happened olde-tymey murder-mystery style.

Adam is bland. I feel like they keep trying to jazz him up (graphic novelist! "Fun!!!" apartment! Basketball on the roof! Bisexual!) but he still never seems very interesting to me. Like he's all window dressing and there's nothing in the stockroom.

One of the great things about this show has always been that, whatever completely outrageous thing was happening, the main characters reacted to it in normal human ways. So why are none of them saying anything about Baby's horrible name?!?! I can see why they'd feel they couldn't mock it in front of Rogelio or Darcy, but private conversations? Whispering to each other "Are they SERIOUS?!" and "I don't think I can call that poor child Baby for her entire life...how can we get away with using something else?" and the like?
I like it when Jane and Rafael are getting along. Platonic affection suits them, and suits my nerves better than the nitpicking and fighting.

Honestly, I think a 1930s style mystery batchlorlor/batchelorette party is a really cool idea. And why would Jane think it was such a lame idea? I would think that Lit dork Jane would find that to be a million times more fun than strippers and penis straws. Also, I know that Jane can mean well, but she does have a bit of a tendency to meddle, and that can backfire. That being said, it seemed like this was more about Lina's sisters than anything else, and Jane was actually invited to meddle for once! It was also nice to see Lina again, although I wish we had seen more of her party. 

Xo wanting Rogelio to get a vasectomy was understandable considering she doesn't want kids, but her constant insistence on Rogelio getting Little Rogelio zipped off seemed pretty self centered, and not super understanding to Rogelio. Especially after she sided with Darcy over having her baby in the bathtub, isn't it his choice to do what he wants to do to himself? Talking about it is a good thing, but she was seriously too pushy and angry about it for my liking. 

I actually thought when they pulled out that picture of Adams ex "wouldn't it be funny if it was the guy?" and it totally was! Although, I still cant totally get behind Adam/Jane, because Adam just seems so random. He just appeared one day as this former great love of Jane's we had never heard of before, and he is suddenly a major character and is possibly going to be Endgame with Jane (as she and Raf seem to be increasingly platonic) and he just isn't super interesting. 

This episode actually made me want to see Alba interact more with Petra, Elsa, and Ana. 

Both Adam and Michael before him are blandy mcblandersons, IMO. Instead of having someone just waltz(ish) into Jane's life, it would have been fun to see her try to date different and interesting men. But no. Poots. I still think the only one she has chemistry with is Rafael. (Not a 'shipper, just chemically speaking here.)

I think I love Rogelio the most of anyone on this show. He's such a goofball but a loveable one.

1 minute ago, Mystical chick said:

I think I love Rogelio the most of anyone on this show. He's such a goofball but a loveable one.

I normally agree with you, but his decision to name his baby Baby makes me seriously question his moral character and suitability in civilized society. :|

• Love 2

I used to think Jane the Virgin's writers were very creative but they've been completely stuck recycling the Marbella plot. That's their only Petra/Rafael plot.

I like Xo and Rogelio a whole lot better since they got married. It feels less forced, and I think Xo handled the vastectomy very well. Yes, Rogelio is at least partially a macho dude (although I think his own confession that it was about aging was closer to the mark) but they're done having kids. Why should the burden be on Xo to take a pill or have an invasive procedure when a vasectomy is the safest option - and completely reversible per the doctor (I did not know that. I knew they could be reversed, but I didn't know it was such a sure thing).

The bisexual storyline was done pretty well. I'm glad Jane admitted it was the fact of his bisexuality itself that was bothering her, not that he held off. I'd be the same way, and have similar questions. Not sure about why she spun off into fantasizing about different women - maybe she was just trying it on after Adam said it might be part of her and she hadn't been aware.

What is with the Baby name? I can't believe that nobody told Rogelio how stupid it is. 

Madga was brilliant for orchestrating the gaslighting of Luisa. Rose versus Magda will be epic. In the meantime, Rafael can continue to live with Jane. Curious is Anezka will push Petra and the girls out of the hotel as well? 

Adam is sweet but still strikes me as a kid in comparison to Rafael and Michael. I can't see this being Jane's next forever romance. 

I miss the old Mateo even though this boy is doing a fine job.

On 11/27/2017 at 2:17 AM, galaxychaser said:

Xiomara is what 46 to 50 years old.  No way can she get pregnant.  Darcy is 32? Ha than I'm 22.

If Jane is 28, then Xo is 44 or 45. Unlikely to get pregnant, but it's still very possible.

• Love 2