Type keyword(s) to search

Guy's Big Project - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Guy's Big Project is not only looking for a personality, it's looking for a real food authority. Not just "Soups, Stews, and Chilis" and "The Deli Hunter", but "Crazy Creations" or "Grill Dads" or "Ginormous Food". A real food road show is like Zane + Lindsay + Mark + Ryan + Gigi & Nonna with a little bit of Josh Denny. Mix 10 tablespoons of each, add a little bit of spice, and guess what? You get a real food road show.

On 11/20/2017 at 2:14 PM, wings707 said:

FN Star was not really looking for a new stand and stir cook and this show is not really looking for another on the road show.   They are looking for a personality they can work with for something, probably not yet determined.  All the alum are now judges or competition show hosts. 

I would agree, HOWEVER Guy will be EP and his company will be doing the production so I think they’ll do the travel show with some appearances on Guy’s other shows.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Skyfall said:

I would agree, HOWEVER Guy will be EP and his company will be doing the production so I think they’ll do the travel show with some appearances on Guy’s other shows.

I didn't know Guy had a production company.  So who is the producer that seems to be quietly calling the shots.  I wish I knew his name. There were a bunch of FN people at the round table discussion. 

3 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I didn't know Guy had a production company.  So who is the producer that seems to be quietly calling the shots.  I wish I knew his name. There were a bunch of FN people at the round table discussion. 

Mark Dissin. And yeah the building they were in during the last half was his office/headquarters. They’re actually the ones doing Southern & Hungry (I noticed the logo on one of the episodes).

4 minutes ago, Skyfall said:

Mark Dissin. And yeah the building they were in during the last half was his office/headquarters. They’re actually the ones doing Southern & Hungry (I noticed the logo on one of the episodes).

But he appears to be more than just Southern and Hungry or he wouldn't be on this one, no?

Just now, wings707 said:

But he appears to be more than just Southern and Hungry or he wouldn't be on this one, no?

I answered you question then talked about themproductioj company, my bad on the confusion. I think Mark EPs all of Guy’s shows at least.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, leighdear said:

I'm pretty well sold on the grill dads.  They are REALLY compelling to me, and entertaining enough so far without being ridiculous.  I like their premise and I think they're both adorable!  *LOL*

Different strokes for different folks I guess. They’re likeable but their humor falls flat to me.

Big changes with several presenters!   Grill dads went to the bottom with Rashad barely above them.  Those were my favorites last week.  I hope Rashad steps up because I like the guy.  

Christian was a big surprise.  I agree that they need to find him a different focus.  I have always thought soup, stews and chili was limited..  Same with deli food. 

• Love 3

I have no idea what Guy saw in Lindsay.  She was just a semi-cute girl with no talent and no food authority who just wanted to be on TV.  I give him credit for eliminating her which was absolutely the right thing to do.  So far, he's sent the right person home each week - IMO anyway.

I don't dislike the Grill Dads but, as someone else said, I don't get them and I don't find them amusing.  Everyone else seems to be doing at least OK.  I don't even have a guess at this point who's going to end up winning.  

• Love 5

I feel like this show is what FN Star should be - each week, they are focusing on an actual skill that relates to the task at hand.  Personalities are relevant only insofar as they are a benefit or a drawback to the contestant's ability to perform the task at hand (and not relevant for manufactured drama between contestants).  No stupid timed theme cooking contests that rarely if ever showcase whether or not a contestant is actually a food authority.  The right people go home every week, and it's done in a humane manner - and even manages to be more suspenseful than the stupid way that most shows try to misdirect the viewers at the end.  And it really showcases just how good Guy actually is at his job,and how it's not that easy to replicate.

Really enjoying this!

• Love 9

Is there such a thing as a bifecta?  Melissa D getting shut down on GGG followed by Lindsay on GBP.  Two fakey chipmunks in two hours.  Yay.

I'm still not a fan of Christian despite his polished (manipulated?) performance on this episode.  Zane either.  Rashad or Grill Dads for the win.  YMMV.

• Love 4

Honestly if Christian and Zane keep improving like they have I hope they both get shows. Grill Dads...well I’ve said my spill on them but on top of that they keep failing to tie in their show to the filmed bits. Sure you don’t always have to, but their piece last night was a layup in that regard and they failed. RJ, RJ, RJ...he is So inconsistent and at the end of the day any southern travel show can include BBQ but not any BBQ travel show can include southern food. It’s limiting, not as much as SS&C but still. I am glad Christian took the feedback last week to heart and I feel the first eliminated contestant would’ve done the same and if both the first two would’ve been the same just flipped. And yes I’m still a bit salty she was sent home before the grandmas.

16 hours ago, mlp said:

I have no idea what Guy saw in Lindsay. 

They all liked her after her first demo, smashing her face into the large burger.  Alex squealed with delight.  They had high hopes they didn't pan out.  

What kind of show could they give Christian that would be less limiting, yet have some uniqueness and that we don't constantly see already? 

Honestly, I think if they took Christian's concept internationally, they could make each show focus on 1 soup, 1 stew and a "chili" type dish from a certain country.  They'd have YEARS worth of material.  

I would absolutely watch his show because I cook SS&C a LOT.  I take homemade soup to work at least 3 days a week and have 2 kinds, plus regular chili in my freezer right now.  I'm not even exaggerating.  

3 hours ago, leighdear said:

What kind of show could they give Christian that would be less limiting, yet have some uniqueness and that we don't constantly see already? 

Honestly, I think if they took Christian's concept internationally, they could make each show focus on 1 soup, 1 stew and a "chili" type dish from a certain country.  They'd have YEARS worth of material.  

I would absolutely watch his show because I cook SS&C a LOT.  I take homemade soup to work at least 3 days a week and have 2 kinds, plus regular chili in my freezer right now.  I'm not even exaggerating.  

He seemed to be big into and knowledgeable about Cajun food. So find Cajun spots/dishes around the US. Or to make it more broad you can do spicy dishes.

• Love 1

Guy was one of the highlights of old iterations of NFNS. He would go along with the contestants on location and direct them in talking to the camera and interacting with the restaurant people. Apparently, in the past few years, they didn't find these skills very important.  

They all liked her [Lindsay] after her first demo, smashing her face into the large burger.  Alex squealed with delight.

I know and I just don't get it.  I see nothing at all appealing about someone with food all over their face.  It reminds me of those "classic" pictures you see all the time of babies eating spaghetti or birthday cake.  It's not cute; it's revolting and also not socially acceptable for adults.  It's possible to express enthusiasm about a food without resorting to bad manners.  I've seen Guy do that and end up with food in his beard.  He apparently thinks it's amusing.  It's gross.

• Love 1

So Christian basically just stole Lindsay’s concept. He should have been honest and just called it “Crazy Creations.”

I think all of their concepts are too limiting. Plus Guy already goes all those places on Diners Drive-ins and Dives (delis, BBQ places). None of these shows are needed. I do like Zane. Rashad is so awkward he makes me uncomfortable. 

• Love 1

I might watch Zane.  I like him and he is an authority on delis.  Rashad seems like a very nice guy but I don't care to watch him being nervous or rapping or whatever that was he did at the end.  

I just don't get the Grill Dads.  They don't strike me funny at all and they seem to be a lot more interested in their shtick than in their food.  I can do without big, bushy beards in the kitchen too.  

• Love 1

I like Rashad and it seems most of them in the gathering of FN chefs did, too. Amanda liked Zane but I think she was the lone voice on that. 

The grill dads are not compelling.  Why would anyone want to grill everything, salad included, on the grill.  And how are they going to find others who do this on a road show? 

I don't like Zane either. But I love Borscht.  

Definitely Rashad's to loose from where I sit.  

I don't get Zane either.  His personality doesn't appeal, and why would I watch a show about delis anyway?  They're DELIS.  You know what to expect when you go in one.  I'd rather watch a show focusing on bagels.  Bagels are not just bagels.  You can go to the mats with your friends over where to get the best bagels.  But I digress.

Geoffrey was really wearing his hanging judge face during this episode.  Amanda was her cheerful chirpy self.  Marc was inscrutable.  I kept muttering "dump Christian" because I never got him either and it was clear he never had a workable concept.

Rashad for the win.  Patrice and the boys are lucky to have him.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Maya said:

I would watch a show about bakeries, but not if any of these people were hosting. 

I might, too.  I usually only watch the competitions but I am always alert for good bread. 

Rashad has an Eddie Jackson vibe to him - good natured, affable, happy.  And didn't Eddie have a show on Food Network about grilling and BBQ?     He seems more natural than Zane who I think tries too hard sometimes.  But I loved his reaction when Guy told him he is going to make a pilot!!!  That was genuine.  I couldn't take a steady diet (no pun intended) of the two dads.

• Love 2

Watching sizzle reel: Everyone sitting awkwardly while Guy is laughing at Grill Dads.

Elmimation: Christian gets sent home.

Ummmmm what!?!? I’m not saying it was the wrong call, but they JUST sprung on him about getting a new concept while the Grill Dads have been floundering all season with not connecting with the audience. I honestly would’ve sent home the Grill Dads and gave Christian the feedback to see what tweaks to the new concept he would do. Neither are winning but I feel like Guy didn’t read the room well and kept his favorite who’s concept wasn’t working over someone who unfairly had one “week” to come up with a brand new concept and execute it flawlessly or else.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Skyfall said:

Watching sizzle reel: Everyone sitting awkwardly while Guy is laughing at Grill Dads.

Ummmmm what!?!? I’m not saying it was the wrong call, but they JUST sprung on him about getting a new concept while the Grill Dads have been floundering all season with not connecting with the audience. I honestly would’ve sent home the Grill Dads and gave Christian the feedback to see what tweaks to the new concept he would do. Neither are winning but I feel like Guy didn’t read the room well and kept his favorite who’s concept wasn’t working over someone who unfairly had one “week” to come up with a brand new concept and execute it flawlessly or else.

Yeah, I don't think the Grill Dads are funny at all. Their humor seems so forced. The Cringe Dads, maybe....

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Skyfall said:

Totally agree. Christian was robbed. I think he has potential and the poor guy has one try to develop and present a new concept? The Grill Dads are incoherent and stupid. Maybe they were afraid Christian would improve too much and beat Zane, who seems inexplicably to be the front runner?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, WritinMan said:

Yeah, I don't think the Grill Dads are funny at all. Their humor seems so forced. The Cringe Dads, maybe....

At least the “dads” finally mentioned their children...

• Love 1

Totally agree. Christian was robbed. I think he has potential and the poor guy has one try to develop and present a new concept? 

I liked him (except for the goofy blue hair) and thought he had potential too.  I'll bet he had only 24-48 hours to come up with something new as opposed to a week in real time.  

4 hours ago, mlp said:

I liked him (except for the goofy blue hair) and thought he had potential too.  I'll bet he had only 24-48 hours to come up with something new as opposed to a week in real time.  

Yup that’s why I had Week in quotations. He’s lucky if he got 72 hours.

• Love 1

This may be completely obvious but I am burning off an episode of DDD and thinking about the differences between Guy and the contestants on this show. One  key difference is that Guy recognizes that his job in DDD is to provide a forum where the restaurant people can succeed. One of the problems with the format of this show (which I am enjoying, don't get me wrong) is that the contestants have to sell themselves first, sometimes to the detriment of the restaurateurs.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Totally agree. Christian was robbed. I think he has potential and the poor guy has one try to develop and present a new concept? The Grill Dads are incoherent and stupid. Maybe they were afraid Christian would improve too much and beat Zane, who seems inexplicably to be the front runner?

I don't think he had to come up with anything.  Guy said WE have to find another food for him.

He repeated, several times, I am weird.  Not good.  Be weird if you are, no need to say it. 

I once worked with a woman who constantly said. "I'm a nut, I'm a nut." She was anything  but.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, jcbrown said:

This may be completely obvious but I am burning off an episode of DDD and thinking about the differences between Guy and the contestants on this show. One  key difference is that Guy recognizes that his job in DDD is to provide a forum where the restaurant people can succeed. One of the problems with the format of this show (which I am enjoying, don't get me wrong) is that the contestants have to sell themselves first, sometimes to the detriment of the restaurateurs.

I think because DDD is not a competition. Once one of them wins I think we will see a change.

DVR ALERT: Two airings on Sunday. Finale and then the afterwards (I’m guessing we’ll get a few episode from the winner there but not sure)

• Love 1

I'm sorry this is almost over! What a joy to have a competition without snarky TH's or stupid - cook everything in front of you in 20 mins. and incorporate these 15 candies and 10 kinds of seafood and tell us a story about it!!! WTH. At least they are learning and taking criticism and Guy is so kind and good to them! This is just a joy to watch. 

I catch one baking show on Netflix or Amazon (can't remember) from Australia and they get 3 hours for a "quick" fire and they know in advance what their challenge is and they do so much better! 

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, eurekagirl mOo said:

I'm sorry this is almost over! What a joy to have a competition without snarky TH's or stupid - cook everything in front of you in 20 mins. and incorporate these 15 candies and 10 kinds of seafood and tell us a story about it!!! WTH. At least they are learning and taking criticism and Guy is so kind and good to them! This is just a joy to watch. 

I catch one baking show on Netflix or Amazon (can't remember) from Australia and they get 3 hours for a "quick" fire and they know in advance what their challenge is and they do so much better! 

I totally love cooking shows from the Commonwealth (not normally known for their cuisine).  Masterchef Canada is my favorite, but I'm trying to catch up on MC Australia.  They are so jolly.

Meanwhile, FN hit a goldmine with Guy.  With GGG and GBP he know how to connect with participants and viewers, and really keeps the show moving.  Other producers take note:  we don't need endless talking heads to familiarize ourselves with the competitors.  And no dead Grandma stories!!!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, spiderpig said:

I totally love cooking shows from the Commonwealth (not normally known for their cuisine).  Masterchef Canada is my favorite, but I'm trying to catch up on MC Australia.  They are so jolly.

Meanwhile, FN hit a goldmine with Guy.  With GGG and GBP he know how to connect with participants and viewers, and really keeps the show moving.  Other producers take note:  we don't need endless talking heads to familiarize ourselves with the competitors.  And no dead Grandma stories!!!

You mean MA?  They have fabulous sea food in Boston. 

Where do I find MC AU? 

The finale on GBP is next.  The preview. 

Spoiler

We will be surprised with an ending no one saw coming.  Oh come on.   The clip shows Guy saying "never saw that coming."  That is about something else, and exactly where they got the idea to promote it this way.   <eye roll>     

Edited by wings707
11 minutes ago, wings707 said:

You mean MA?  They have fabulous sea food in Boston. 

Where do I find MC AU? 

The finale on GBP is next.  The preview. 

Reveal hidden contents

We will be surprised with an ending no one saw coming.  Oh come on.   The clip shows Guy saying "never saw that coming."  That is about something else, and exactly where they got the idea to promote it this way.   <eye roll>     

Oh noes - not my beloved Bay State.  I mean Canada, Australia, New Zealand and whatever's left of the British Commonwealth.  (BTW, wings - can you name the four US commonwealths?  Betcha a bottle of Thunderbird.)

MC AU is on youtube, but it's extremely weird.  Availability is sporadic, and you get familiar with some competitors and then it jumps ahead multiple eps.  And I think their show dynamic goes on daily rather than weekly, so you can find Season One Episode 38.

Check it out, though.  It's cool.

22 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Oh noes - not my beloved Bay State.  I mean Canada, Australia, New Zealand and whatever's left of the British Commonwealth.  (BTW, wings - can you name the four US commonwealths?  Betcha a bottle of Thunderbird.

No I cannot.  I am temped to google so I can get my mitts on that wine, though.  Screw cap, right? I don't have a cork screw because the boxes don't require them.  

12 minutes ago, wings707 said:

No I cannot.  I am temped to google so I can get my mitts on that wine, though.  Screw cap, right? I don't have a cork screw because the boxes don't require them.  

OK - Massachusetts, Virginia, Kentucky and Pennsylvania.  You're welcome.

Our favorite Napa winery is now bottling all their whites in screw caps.  Beats banging the neck of the bottle on the curb.

The newest thing in cork removal is the Coravin, available at Amazon for a bargain price of $199.  Our winery was using it for their $245 a bottle reserve.

Edited by spiderpig
spelling - duh
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, spiderpig said:

Our favorite Napa winery is now bottling all their whites in screw caps.  Beats banging the neck of the bottle on the curb.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

• Love 2
On 12/4/2017 at 9:30 AM, Koalagirl said:

Rashad has an Eddie Jackson vibe to him - good natured, affable, happy.  And didn't Eddie have a show on Food Network about grilling and BBQ?    

Yeah, Rashad is apparently delightful in person, and I like him fine on camera, but I wonder about there being a "slot" on FN for him.  But they mostly have Eddie hosting, right? So maybe they still need someone to run around in different restaurants?

• Love 1
On 12/5/2017 at 7:54 PM, Jesse said:

Yeah, Rashad is apparently delightful in person, and I like him fine on camera, but I wonder about there being a "slot" on FN for him.  But they mostly have Eddie hosting, right? So maybe they still need someone to run around in different restaurants?

I woudnt be shocked if the"big surprise that NO ONE saw coming!!" in the finale is that Rashad,The Grill Dads and the deli guy all get their own shows

Edited by TDT
3 hours ago, TDT said:

I woudnt be shocked if the"big surprise that NO ONE saw coming!!" in the finale is that Rashad,The Grill Dads and the deli guy all get their own shows

Or no one gets a pilot or they want to see one from Christian.

Ok Zane’s concept is too — what did they say? Not into deli? How did Guy not see that coming—or did he? Let’s grill and bbq some more, eh? 

Now checking the dads 3, 2,1 and out. Nope. Corny and boring. Will come back in :10 for Rashad, hopefully more engaging. Unlikely any of these are going to be must-see TV. 

12 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Ok Zane’s concept is too — what did they say? Not into deli? How did Guy not see that coming—or did he? Let’s grill and bbq some more, eh? 

Now checking the dads 3, 2,1 and out. Nope. Corny and boring. Will come back in :10 for Rashad, hopefully more engaging. Unlikely any of these are going to be must-see TV. 

I think it was they weren’t sure on Deli as a concept. As much as as I wailed on the Dads during the show, I think their full show has toned them down. Jokes still don’t land with me but they seem to “work” better in a 30 minute concept as opposed to piecemeal. They probably also got some network feedback.

• Love 2