Team Blake
Mitchell Lee (3)
Esera Tuaolo (2)
Keisha Renee (4)
Red Marlow (2)
Adam Cunningham (2)
Noah Mac (2)
Anna Catherine DeHart (2)*

Names in bold indicate an artist who has newly been added to a team.  Numbers in parentheses indicate the number of chairs to turn for each artist.  An asterisk indicates that this artist's Blind was montaged.

Clearly I'm tone deaf because I completely disagreed with the coaches several times tonight. I thought the girl who sang Invincible was horrible. And I can't figure out why the Carly Simon girl got two instant chair turns, I thought she was bad too. On the flipside, I thought the girl who sang Imagine had an interesting, beautiful voice and I would have loved to hear more from her.

I really liked the last girl. She has a cool voice and she's a dork. Love it! Although I'm baffled as to why record execs thought she needed to change her hair and teeth and skin...she's stunning!

I miss Shakira too! She wasn't the best coach but she was so sweet and genuine.

Decent night tonight.

Anthony Alexander: Pretty good voice, and an okay falsetto, but I kind of didn't like that that was all on which he relied.  Still, despite Miley and Jennifer's best efforts, it's not a good idea to try with a teenage boy.  They'll almost always go with Adam or Blake.  And since Blake wasn't an option . . . of course he'd pick Adam.  Not to mention his basic admission that he's part of his fan club and that he was one of his inspirations being another clue of that.  But he's another guy I won't be surprised to see get screwed over by him.  Maybe not, since he did turn three chairs, and number of chair turns is important to Adam, but it's always a possibility.

Sophia Bollman: I thought she was great on the phrases and the melody, as well as the parts she made her own.  It's the sustained notes that I thought were her rough points.  Still, talking about Blake being a dad was a high point of tonight.  It was pretty obvious that she was going to pick Miley out of the available options, and even more so when she admitted that Miley's one of her favorite artists.  But do I think she has what it takes to last on Team Miley?  Hard to say.

Jessica Rowboat: Is it wrong that I thought of her name as Jessica Rabbit?  In any case, I don't know what the coaches were (or weren't) hearing.  I really, really liked her performance and thought that she merited at least one turn.  Her voice was so good, and it reminded me of Caity Peters from season ten.  But I guess that shows what I know, huh?  Sad that she didn't get through, because some rare Indian representation might've been nice.  Moushumi from season ten was the last one we had.  Hope she comes back.

Karli Webster: Hmm. . . . Nope.  Disagree with @Rachel RSL.  I loved her voice and thought that she picked the perfect song to go with it.  No way she was bad.  She sounded so much like a singer from the '70s.  I think Miley made way more sense as a coach for her than Adam did, so I think she chose right.  It's interesting, though, how Miley really does only have an all-female team thus far.

Stephan Marcellus: Kind of a rough beginning (to say the least!), but he pulled it together fairly well as the song went along.  Can't blame most of the coaches for not turning, though.  Wouldn't be surprised if Jennifer being the only one to turn for him really was only out of pity more than anything.  Still, she's the right coach for him, for sure.  Kinda not good for her first season here, though, that she's the only coach thus far with any one-chair-turns.  Adam, Miley, and Blake all have multi-chair turns thus far.

Emily Luther: By far the best of the night.  I thought she easily deserved all four chairs to turn and can't figure out why Miley didn't.  And I'm surprised that they kind of skirted around her connection to one of the hottest current pop artists, Charlie Puth, and being in a duo with him for a short time.  In any case, from what I heard, she has great potential to do well.  I'm just disappointed that such a good voice might be wasting herself on Adam when -- hello! -- Jennifer and Blake were both right there.  On a side note, with her hair the way it was, I thought of Liza Weil's Bonnie from How to Get Away with Murder.

Jennifer, if it makes anyone feel better, was a lot more sedate tonight.

Good episode.

Edited by Star Aristille

How can someone be worried about being undocumented, yet announce that they are of illegal status on national tv?  Clearly, she isn’t too worried about it.   Forget it, just saw the last sponsor part!

Edited by lampwick
Incorrect content
3 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

And I can't figure out why the Carly Simon girl got two instant chair turn

Honestly I thought it was the song choice more than anything.  It's definitely a cool song you rarely hear on these shows.  (I remember Brooke White  pandering to Simon with it years ago on Idol, but that's it.)  

Edited by vb68

So far, so good on the singers!  Not a dud in the bunch to my taste.  Some weaker than others, but that is to be expected as the need to pad the way for the ones they want to go the distance.  But even the weak ones are good.

I've decided to watch the show without any expectations whatsoever in terms of long-term musical careers.  It's just good 'ol tv entertainment.  Removing the hype of winning makes the show far more enjoyable for me to watch.

I wonder if the director told Jennifer to tone it down or just a low energy night.

I understand why the last singer has been told to change her hair style.  She looks like a dental asistant. 

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 0:21 AM, wings707 said:

I understand why the last singer has been told to change her hair style.  She looks like a dental asistant. 

Emily's had that hairstyle since she was part of her duo with Charlie.  They even performed together on Ellen, and she was sporting it even then.

Edited by Star Aristille
7 hours ago, wings707 said:

I thought the hair made her look 20 years older than she is. 

5 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Same. When she said she was 24 I almost did a spit take. That hair really ages her. I mean it was bad.

That hair style has not been in style for at least 2 decades.   There are current styles of bobs that look fabulous and you see them everywhere.  

Two of many examples.  

Jenna-Elfman-short-wavy-bob-hairstyle.jp

victoria-beckham-short-hair.jpg

9 hours ago, wings707 said:

I understand why the last singer has been told to change her hair style. 

She has a rather long neck that would be better camouflaged by long hair.  I really like her voice and she is one of a kind on this show, so far.

If we see Jennifer toned down from now on, we know she has been advised by production.  :^)

If this show was scripted she would be accused of stepping on other's lines.  Here she is doing the equivalent by not allowing them to talk, interrupting and grandstanding.  

2 hours ago, Babalooie said:

She has a rather long neck that would be better camouflaged by long hair.  I really like her voice and she is one of a kind on this show, so far.

I'm no hair/fashion maven, but I kind of like her look. It's got a 60's retro vibe, like she could have stepped out of The Man from Uncle. And why does everyone need to look the same? (ie current).

More importantly, I liked her singing a lot. I posted after Monday's show that I was still waiting for the first singer this year with a jazz vibe, and now we have one. Whether she stays with jazz or not (and I imagine she won't), her classic, understated style is a welcome change from all the belters and over-singers, and a number of women contestants who employ all kinds of vocal mannerisms in an attempt to show they are an "artist." (Shilo Gold, the cantor's daughter, comes to mind, but there were several others I would put in that category).

1 hour ago, wings707 said:

If we see Jennifer toned down from now on, we know she has been advised by production.  :^)

If I'm not mistaken, aren't all the blind auditions filmed at the same time and often shown to us out of the order they actually occurred? If she seems toned down, that'll be purely coincidence. (Unless you were referring to once we get to the live shows, of course.)

2 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

If I'm not mistaken, aren't all the blind auditions filmed at the same time and often shown to us out of the order they actually occurred? If she seems toned down, that'll be purely coincidence. (Unless you were referring to once we get to the live shows, of course.)

I think she'll calm down once the Battles and Knockouts roll around and she can actually focus on coaching.

10 hours ago, Star Aristille said:

I'm surprised that they kind of skirted around her connection to one of the hottest current pop artists, Charlie Puth, and being in a duo with him for a short time.

I have two thoughts on this:

1) It really depends on what narrative the show wants to create for her.  With "older" contestants they seem more willing to hype their past careers or connections, because they're "giving it one last shot" or "finally stepping out of the shadows" or whatever other storyline they want to build.  For a "young" singer like Emily, it often feels like the show wants to cultivate the impression that they are newbies still looking for their first big break - so a link to a "big star" could actually be a negative in that case.

2) They aren't going to mention Charlie Puth unless they're able to have him on the show in some way or form.  I mean, they got Gene Simmons to do a glorified snapchat for the kid who talked about playing at some KISS restaurant (right?).  But that's Gene - as long as the check clears, he'll do it (and I guarantee he had no idea who that girl was).  Maybe the show knows that Charlie would be unable or unwilling to play ball.  If that's the case, then it makes sense to leave him out of Emily's narrative.

5 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

Maybe the show knows that Charlie would be unable or unwilling to play ball.  If that's the case, then it makes sense to leave him out of Emily's narrative.

Wasn't he a mentor on The Voice a couple of seasons back? (At which time I had never heard of him).

31 minutes ago, bluepiano said:

Wasn't he a mentor on The Voice a couple of seasons back? (At which time I had never heard of him).

Yes.  He was the Team Alicia Battle mentor in season eleven.  One of her members from that season, Kylie Rothfield, actually went to Berklee with him, and they both recognized each other quickly at the start of their mentoring session.

On 10/4/2017 at 11:25 AM, Rachel RSL said:

Yes they are filmed over the course of X amount of days and they are edited.  I forgot about that when I posted.  If there are some times mixed in where she is toned down we know she has been addressed on this.  LOL!  

I thought this episode was a big comedown compared to Monday night.  Arthur, Karli, and Emily were okay, but not up the level of the best from Monday.  Not so good were Sophia and Stephan (even after he recovered from screwing up the beginning of the song).  I would have put Jessica through instead of either of those two.

Edited by viajero
On 04/10/2017 at 2:21 AM, wings707 said:

And I couldn't believe her age.  She looks in her late '30s.  She certainly wouldn't appeal as a pop singer - Broadway and jazz, for sure, though.  She has a model vibe with that long neck.

Liked this episode a lot.  

Anthony did switch out of his head voice, for roughly the second half of the performance.  He was a far cry from a few male contestants in the past who would not use their full voices at all even when coached to so so.  

Wow, Karli is really, really attractive.  I thought she could do well with either coach who turned for her.  However, if she knew that Miley was assembling an all-female team, either by design or no, she might have been better off with Adam to differentiate herself.  In any case, her song choice was really refreshing.  And the show now has an opportunity to use her piano skills (I believe she said eight state championships!!) if she advances.  

Jennifer turning for Stephan right after the mistake, and the show even airing a mistake, was a really nice change of pace.  He recovered well and it was interesting to see someone with a case of nerves.  Her comments about it were right on point.  

The auditions are edited out of order but typically not that out of order.  It's relatively rare for them to, say, take someone who auditioned late in the process and then air them very early, or the reverse.  So it's entirely possible that production did suggest that Jennifer alter her approach a bit and that it started to show up here.  

Emily was the standout of the night and I'm surprised (pleasantly) that she didn't draw any "ringer" comments here as most people who have been professional backup singers usually do.  I think it's clear that she can do more than jazz and she was a huge get for Adam's team.  She was in the duo with Charlie Puth for less than a year, their performance output was limited to a few songs, their association mostly arose from them both being Berklee students, and once Puth hit it big, his megalabel wanted everything he did before made less accessible for licensing reasons, so it's logical that she didn’t mention him.  As for her hair, I'm torn.  No speculation needed as to whether her hair would look good long or not; in the family-supplied clip where she fell off the stage, she had long hair and it looked great.  But if she wants to be shorter-haired now and has resisted calls to the contrary, good for her.  She's pretty regardless and certainly didn't downplay other aspects of her overall look.  It will be interesting to see how she does as (if) she advances, and what changes she displays, if any, to her vocals and her appearance.  She may be very coachable.  

Again assuming that the order as aired versus occurred is not off too drastically, Jennifer may have filled her team too quickly.  By contrast, Adam and Blake both appear to be hanging back a bit, but Adam has a much better team and Blake does not seem as engaged as usual, much like Adam the last two seasons.  Miley also has a very good team.  

The Blake-as-dad stuff was hilarious.  I wonder if they would have aired that if Gwen had been one of the center judges.  

On 10/3/2017 at 11:59 PM, Jextella said:

So far, so good on the singers!  Not a dud in the bunch to my taste.  Some weaker than others, but that is to be expected as they need to pad the way for the ones they want to go the distance.  But even the weak ones are good.

I've decided to watch the show without any expectations whatsoever in terms of long-term musical careers.  It's just good old-fashioned tv entertainment.  Removing the hype of winning makes the show far more enjoyable for me to watch.